Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm a soccer fan alright and I'm awesoem in many many ways but a lot of the blind club loyalty on here is absolutely hilarious. Some people support their clubs like political parties and defend their actions no matter what.

lol, good answer :)
    Naturally there nothing wrong with that, but when it looked like he was staying there was much celebration, now that hes on his way tey're getting the story right so as not to appear too disappointed. Its gas.

Well no Liverpool fan is going to be happy if / when he goes, but its not the end of the world - I personally think we'll be just as potent without him.

Oh I agree, I think hes a great signing, but the epic u-turns on the United thread from many posters were equally funny as the Alonso u-turn thats already beginning on here.

Well, everyone knows what United fans are like, eh?? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Liverpool fans now scrambling to say Alonso wasn't really that important to them is as funny as the mad scramble by United fans welcoming owen with open arms, when a few weeks ago they were laughing at him. Soccer fans are awesome.

Anyone I've seen resign themselves to the fact that Alonso could leave, have said that he could only be replaced if we get 30m+ for him. I hardly think that is a sign that people are now saying he isn't really that important to us. It's the opposite.

He is an amazing player, very difficult to replace unless a substantial fee is got for his services. I think what you are seeing is people saying that Alonso is not unique and that there is some faith that based on his track record, Rafa could very well find a replacement given adequate funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

spockety wrote: »
    Anyone I've seen resign themselves to the fact that Alonso could leave, have said that he could only be replaced if we get 30m+ for him. I hardly think that is a sign that people are now saying he isn't really that important to us. It's the opposite.

He is an amazing player, very difficult to replace unless a substantial fee is got for his services. I think what you are seeing is people saying that Alonso is not unique and that there is some faith that based on his track record, Rafa could very well find a replacement given adequate funds.

Fair enough point spockety. Perhaps "not that important" was the wrong choice of words.

The other concern I'd have if I was a Pool fan is just how much of that transfer money Rafa would actually get to use and how much would be used to pay off the club's debts? Is this a concern for ye? Or have the board said any money rcouped will be used for squad strengthening?

TBH Spock, we did just as well last season when he played, as when he didn't, and likewise played as badly with or without him.

I really don't think he makes that much of a difference results wise - though he does make us look better in general.

He's not a match winner, as I've said before, Torres & Gerrard are match winners (and thinking about it, to an extent Benny), and Reina & Masch are match savers (along with maybe Skrtl & Carra) - Alonso though - nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't think you will get many Liverpool fans that don't recognise what Xabi brought to the party. You'll just get some who rate him alot higher than others - me included.

I think it'll be a devastating loss but one which we can get over. £32 mill is alot of cash when you consider he could have been sold for half of that 12 months ago. In a end of season where United (our main rivals for the title) have sold their best goal-scorer and player, also couldn't keep a very important player & fans favourite going to their local rivals City then the loss of Alonso is not as bad as it may have been - say if United had kept these & strenghtened.

I believe Rafa will not be sitting on the funds which we get for Alonso - Cambiasso possibly and an attacking midfielder (i.e Silva) Mascherano will not be going any where. We will be in a stronger position than United when the first ball is kicked next month after the summer's transfer activity and we should be able to turn that 4 point gap around.

• Advertisement

I will go out on a limb here and say Liverpool are in with a HUGE chance of winning the league this season. United are in one of their transition seasons that they have every 4/5 years, Chelsea have a new manager who has to prove himself in a foreign league as well as the Terry stuff to deal with and Arsenal are, well just Arsenal, same as they have been forthe last 4 years. Liverpool need to hit the ground running hard and put the weaker teams to the sword and they could capatalise on the state of flux the other clubs find themselves in.

And I'm not a Liverpool fan saying "this is our year" by the way, I used to be a fanatical United fan, much less so now, though I'll always have that affection for them.

SSN -
    Reports emanating from Italy continue to suggest Liverpool are weighing up a move for Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani.

Interesting, and certainly puts more credence on Alonso moving.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sadly, now it looks like the only way he will be staying is if the valuation of the two clubs is so far apart that it can't be reconciled either with €€€ or with players thrown in.

5starpool wrote: »
    Sadly, now it looks like the only way he will be staying is if the valuation of the two clubs is so far apart that it can't be reconciled either with €€€ or with players thrown in.

If he doesn't want to stay, get shot, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Going be expensive for Liverpool whatever happens.

If Alonso is sold I can't imagine all the money being available for transfers as it becomes vitally important to tie Masch into probably a 20 million pound contract, add Rafas 25 million contract and a handful of top earners just after signing new contracts, the wage bill be significantly higher. The money has to come from somewhere.

• Advertisement

If he doesn't want to stay, get shot, simple as.

I've always said that about any player, in any team. No sense keeping a player that doesn't want to play for you. They'll never give 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've always said that about any player, in any team. No sense keeping a player that doesn't want to play for you. They'll never give 100%.

Not entirely true, I think the likes of Tevez and Masch would.

Alonso upped his game at the start of this season, mainly to prove Rafa wrong.

Boggles wrote: »

If Alonso is sold I can't imagine all the money being available for transfers as it becomes vitally important to tie Masch into probably a 20 million pound contract, add Rafas 25 million contract and a handful of top earners just after signing new contracts, the wage bill be significantly higher. The money has to come from somewhere.

Wage bill and transfer funds are seperate entity's as far as Im concerned. No one ever said current player's extending their contracts would come out of the transfer. We'll only need one or 2 players anyway

Not entirely true, I think the likes of Tevez and Masch would.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and there are journeymen who'll always give 100%. I'd put Anelka into that fold also.

No, to justify his new deal, and possibly maintain his International status, with qualifiers / Confed Cup coming up. He's gotta think of No. 1 after all, how could he prove Rafa wrong? He had a crap season, without a time machine, there was no way to prove Rafa wrong.

Well done Rafa, getting the best out of a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well done Rafa, getting the best out of a player
    Clearly the best motivational manager in the world.

Er... somehow I doubt they'd have factored any Alonso-based profit new player contracts, let alone into Rafa's new contract negotiations back in March. That would just be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If Alonso does go it'll be great to see Liverpool have to deal with this bloody transfer market as well. You think theres a player of his class available? United have spent the last few weeks trying to strenghten and us fans have all agreed that while we'd like to see a new CM there is no one out there good enough and available.
    The money is all well and good but I could see you's stuck in the same boat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lfc tv - free

LFC TV, the official club television channel, is now completely free to watch to all supporters who have either the basic Sky package or the XL package on Virgin Media.
    Launched in September 2007, LFC TV was previously only available as part of the Setanta Sports Pack but following the Irish broadcaster entering into administration last month, the club have now made the channel available for free for a short period on Sky Channel 434 and Virgin Media channel 544.

LFC TV's free period will cover all of our pre-season friendlies and fans who tune into the channel will be able to watch delayed coverage of every game we play this summer - from our first game on Wednesday in Switzerland against St Gallen to our final warm-up game against Atletico Madrid at Anfield on August 8.

All of our pre-season games - with the exception of the Madrid match - will be exclusively live to watch on this website for supporters who subscribe to the e-Season Ticket.

If you didn't previously subscribe to Setanta and haven't seen LFC TV before, this is your chance to watch the first channel dedicated entirely to England's most successful football club for free and despite our first competitive game not kicking off until August 16, there's still plenty to watch and enjoy.

This week we are celebrating a truly memorable decade for the Reds on the channel – the Eighties - and at 2pm BST today we have a 'Goal Rush' special where we reminisce about some great goals from the 1981-82 season followed by more of the same from the glorious 1987-88 campaign when John Barnes, John Aldridge and Peter Beardsley were in their prime.

'Cup Kings 1983' follows at 2.30pm with former captain Ronnie Whelan and Alan Kennedy recalling the famous Milk Cup Final victory over Manchester United and then at 10pm we're counting down the ten best Liverpool signings from the decade.

That's just some of today's programmes for you to watch free but every day during this limited period there'll always be something to keep you entertained as we count the days until the league season kicks off at White Hart Lane next month.

LFC TV is available to watch free for a limited period on Sky Channel 434 and as part of the XL package on Virgin Media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

ShooterSF wrote: »
    United have spent the last few weeks trying to strenghten and us fans have all agreed that while we'd like to see a new CM there is no one out there good enough and available.

1. There are class CM's out there
    2. Why are you so sure Fergie wants to buy another CM - United have Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Giggs, Scholes. If Liverpool sell Alonso we have Mascherano and Lucas only.

1. There are class CM's out there
    2. Why are you so sure Fergie wants to buy another CM - United have Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Giggs, Scholes. If Liverpool sell Alonso we have Mascherano and Lucas only.

To your first point who would you like to sign that you think you could realistically get? Also I don't know if Fergie wishes to sign someone but I know a lot of United fans wanted a new CM but when questioned on who there were no great options (Im hoping to steal yours :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

To your first point who would you like to sign that you think you could realistically get? Also I don't know if Fergie wishes to sign someone but I know a lot of United fans wanted a new CM but when questioned on who there were no great options (Im hoping to steal yours :p)

Well De Rossi if available would be terrific for either side. I suspect United could afford him but Pool could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

SSN -

He is the most impressive replacement for Alonso that has been linked. If we make a profit from selling Alonso and buying Aquillani then I'd be happy

Well De Rossi if available would be terrific for either side. I suspect United could afford him but Pool could not.

He's one of two that has said they're going nowhere and Roma say the same. Vucinic(sp?) being the other. Would love to get him but that's the problem this Summer.

He's one of two that has said they're going nowhere and Roma say the same. Vucinic(sp?) being the other. Would love to get him but that's the problem this Summer.

The key to this is the player - if he want's to go he inevitably will. Ronaldo, Alonso are examples. The club can be powerless if the player wants a move

I see Beckham says he would relish a move back to the premiership so he could try to get back into England squad.

Can ye see any of the top 4 being interested?

He would be a decent squad player imo. He's a big united fan anyway so I'm sure he would turn us down but it is the summer of strange transfers.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I see Beckham says he would relish a move back to the premiership so he could try to get back into England squad.

Can ye see any of the top 4 being interested?

He would be a decent squad player imo. He's a big united fan anyway so I'm sure he would turn us down but it is the summer of strange transfers.
    I bet Harry tries to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The idea that Benetiz motivated Alonso by trying to sell him is stupid. The idea being that Benetiz deliberatly motivated him is kinda stupid as it would no doubt result in the player happy to leave if another offer came along.

If Benetiz hadn't wanted to sell him, it would have been much more likely that he woulda resisted the advances from Madrid this year.

Basically Benetiz created a no win scenario. If he did poorly, that was that. If he did well, he was going to move on.

Benetiz in effect didn't rate Alonso last year, thought Barry would do better, the deal didnt go through because of money issues, Alonso steps up and shows the form of the past, another club wants him and Benetiz can't convince him to stay because he didn't show faith in him.
    It was a **** up. It was however a **** up that most people on here woulda made considering the form Alonso had the seasons before. Then again, we don't get paid a ****load of money.

PHB wrote: »
    The idea that Benetiz motivated Alonso by trying to sell him is stupid. The idea being that Benetiz deliberatly motivated him is kinda stupid as it would no doubt result in the player happy to leave if another offer came along.

If Benetiz hadn't wanted to sell him, it would have been much more likely that he woulda resisted the advances from Madrid this year.

Basically Benetiz created a no win scenario. If he did poorly, that was that. If he did well, he was going to move on.

Benetiz in effect didn't rate Alonso last year, thought Barry would do better, the deal didnt go through because of money issues, Alonso steps up and shows the form of the past, another club wants him and Benetiz can't convince him to stay because he didn't show faith in him.
    It was a **** up. It was however a **** up that most people on here woulda made considering the form Alonso had the seasons before. Then again, we don't get paid a ****load of money.

Nail on head right here.

I bet Harry tries to sign him.

Probably !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Beckham is a Spurs fan, saying that i dont know where he stands on he's allegiance to United. i like him but there is no place in our team for him imo...

There's a free number 7 mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »

I dont really think thats the case. To think that is to paint both people in a very unprofessional light and that Xabi just needs to be loved. I think he's far more motivated to move by the practicalities of life at this point, a kid, a new wife and the impending change of lifestyle both of these things bring.

Maybe last year would sway his opinion in some way, but i think regardless, at this point of his life, he was going to be looking at a move home.

In fact i think this is something rafa may start looking at with regards his foreign signings, that its rare you get a full career as so many of them will want to move home at some point. most good ones have dreams to be fulfilled back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Thinking what the world would be like if we signed Beckham up and he ended up doing a better job then Owen at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Beckham is a Spurs fan,

He's a Man Utd fan from a very early age

'His parents were fanatical Manchester United supporters who would frequently travel to Old Trafford from London to attend the team's home matches. David inherited his parents' love of Manchester United, and his main sporting passion was football.'

He played for Spurs centre of excellence at a young age before signing for Utd at 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i was always under the impression he was a spurs supporter first :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

We are playing for first pre season game tomorrow against St.Gallen. Anyone know if its on Tv?

joe123 wrote: »
    We are playing for first pre season game tomorrow against St.Gallen. Anyone know if its on Tv?

not sure about live tv, will be on LFC website, and delayed coverage free on LFC TV on sky.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dont really think thats the case. To think that is to paint both people in a very unprofessional light and that Xabi just needs to be loved. I think he's far more motivated to move by the practicalities of life at this point, a kid, a new wife and the impending change of lifestyle both of these things bring.

Maybe last year would sway his opinion in some way, but i think regardless, at this point of his life, he was going to be looking at a move home.

In fact i think this is something rafa may start looking at with regards his foreign signings, that its rare you get a full career as so many of them will want to move home at some point. most good ones have dreams to be fulfilled back home.

How unprofessional? What PHB posted are pretty much the facts of the matter. Rafa was prepared to sell Xabi and wanted Barry and bid for him repeatedly, only to be thwarted by financial constraints. Alonso was then kept on. He had a very good season and improved hugley on the previous year's form. Now hes asought after property and appears anxious to leave and is understandably hurt by Rafa's lack of faith in him last year. Whats unprofesional about any of this?

i was always under the impression he was a spurs supporter first :(

Nah I just seem to remember him talking about being a fan as a boy and his hero was Bryan Robson and he attending the Bobby Charlton Soccer School one summer.

I think Beckham would still have enough to justify being a squad player at a big 4 club and his experience would be great for any team and their youngsters.
    But, I just think Beckham would not sign for either Citeh or Pool. I obviously maybe wrong on that but he just seems like the kind of guy who has too much class to do that (looking and you Tevez and Owen :pac:)

FWIW I think that losing Alonso would damage your chances of winning the league far more than losing Masch. I just feel that there are more games that you can do without Masch than Alonso. Ive said it before on this thread that I think Alonso is the best passer in the league (since Scholesy) and I just dont know who you can get in who can do what he does. Im not saying that Masch isnt an important player (I rate him very highly) but I just think for probably 16 home league games a year and a good few away games Masch doenst NEED to play.

So sell him please :D

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I think Beckham would still have enough to justify being a squad player at a big 4 club

No, he just doesn't.

But, I just think Beckham would not sign for either Citeh or Pool. I obviously maybe wrong on that but he just seems like the kind of guy who has too much class to do that (looking and you Tevez and Owen :pac:)
    You're talking about the same guy who left Real to join Galaxy for the money & Hollywood contacts, then jumped back to Europe with AC at the drop of a hat? Yeah, a Real class act.

FWIW I think that losing Alonso would damage your chances of winning the league far more than losing Masch. I just feel that there are more games that you can do without Masch than Alonso. ...and I just dont know who you can get in who can do what he does. Im not saying that Masch isnt an important player (I rate him very highly) but I just think for probably 16 home league games a year and a good few away games Masch doenst NEED to play.

So sell him please :D

Sorry, but looking at the most recent season, none of your above quote makes any sense at all.

• Advertisement

How unprofessional? What PHB posted are pretty much the facts of the matter. Rafa was prepared to sell Xabi and wanted Barry and bid for him repeatedly, only to be thwarted by financial constraints. Alonso was then kept on. He had a very good season and improved hugley on the previous year's form. Now hes asought after property and appears anxious to leave and is understandably hurt by Rafa's lack of faith in him last year. Whats unprofesional about any of this?

I just think to say his potential move is the result of 'hurt feelings' is to paint the chap as far less professional then he really is. I think it makes far more logical sense that he has more important things going on in his life then getting a cuddle from the manager. I think more of the guy then that, he acted incredibly professionally last year, as i would have expected him to. He got on with his job on the pitch, just like any employee is expected to do to earn their wages. He now see's a better opportunity which suits him and his family better, back in their home country and wants to take it. I think regardless what happened last year, he would have the same wish to take this opportunity.

No, he just doesn't.

Guess this is just where we have to disagree. Im not talking about being a regular starter but I think he can do a job in the centre of midfield still. He wont be box to box but he can sit in front of the back 4 and keep possession and spray passes around.

You're talking about the same guy who left Real to Join Galaxy for the money & Hollywood contacts, then jumped back to Europe with AC at the drop of a hat?

What does that have to do with the 2 clubs I mentioned who are the rivals of the team he supports? The point I was making was I dont think that he would join those 2 particular clubs for that reason. I believe he realised he made a mistake going to the US and he joined AC for fitness reasons and to play as much football as he can.

Sorry, but looking at the most recent season, none of your above quote makes any sense at all.

I await your explanation as to why....

I just think to say his potential move is the result of 'hurt feelings' is to paint the chap as far less professional then he really is. I think it makes far more logical sense that he has more important things going on in his life then getting a cuddle from the manager. I think more of the guy then that, he acted incredibly professionally last year, as i would have expected him to. He got on with his job on the pitch, just like any employee is expected to do to earn their wages. He now see's a better opportunity which suits him and his family better, back in their home country and wants to take it. I think regardless what happened last year, he would have the same wish to take this opportunity.
    Has he said ANY of this publically? Or are you just choosing to believe this rather than admit that Rafa could have handled the whole situation a little better?

Has he said ANY of this publically? Or are you just choosing to believe this rather than admit that Rafa could have handled the whole situation a little better?

I'm using a tiny little bit of logic and reason.

He's spanish.

He's got a baby and a new wife who are Spanish.

The biggest club in spain want him.

The world cup is on next year and he wants to play for Spain.

yes i think its fair to say he see's it as a great opportunity that would have been hard to look away from regardless what happened last year.

As i said above, it may well have had a small bearing on it, i just dont think its the reason. i think he would have better reasons to uproot his wife and kid then hurt feelings

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

And you are saying that what PHB posted were the 'facts' of the matter?

Heh.

Nobody knows for sure what exactly has been said, or whether anyone's feelings really were hurt, etc., etc.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Guess this is just where we have to disagree. Im not talking about being a regular starter but I think he can do a job in the centre of midfield still. He wont be box to box but he can sit in front of the back 4 and keep possession and spray passes around.

Fair enough, but the only way I could see him playing for a top 4 side again, is if we had American Football type plays where he could be brought on for dead ball situations.

What does that have to do with the 2 clubs I mentioned who are the rivals of the team he supports? The point I was making was I dont think that he would join those 2 particular clubs for that reason. I believe he realised he made a mistake going to the US and he joined AC for fitness reasons and to play as much football as he can.

Because he'll always follow the money, which was my point.

I await your explanation as to why....

I've explained this enough over the past few pages to not wish to bother posting it all again.

Please read back a few pages and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm using a tiny little bit of logic and reason.

He's spanish.

He's got a baby and a new wife who are Spanish.

The biggest club in spain want him.

The world cup is on next year and he wants to play for Spain.

yes i think its fair to say he see's it as a great opportunity that would have been hard to look away from regardless.

Fair play to you Rebel bai, thats a serious spin to put on it. You should give Fianna Fail a shout I reckon you could be very valuable to them in the current climate.:pac:

Though it does make sense when you think about it:pac:

not sure about live tv, will be on LFC website, and delayed coverage free on LFC TV on sky.

Yeah all their pre-season games were on the LFC website last year. It makes the summer go quicker !

Some of the early pre-seasons aren't great watching but who cares.

Looking forward to seeing Johnson play.

spockety wrote: »
    And you are saying that what PHB posted were the 'facts' of the matter?

Heh.

Nobody knows for sure what exactly has been said, or whether anyone's feelings really were hurt, etc., etc.

They are pretty much what has been widely reported across the media so far. I've read nowhere of any longing on Alonso's part to raise a family in his homeland anyway, thas for sure.:pac:

I see this thread was started about this time last year.

Is there a new superthread for the upcoming season or continuing on with this one?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement