Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A new one can be started when the season starts. I BAGS THAT HONOUR! :D

00000002.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

flahavaj wrote: »
    Has he said ANY of this publically? Or are you just choosing to believe this rather than admit that Rafa could have handled the whole situation a little better?

has he even said he wants to leave publically?

no.

all anyone is doing is speculating, don't be getting up on your high horse when you're doing the exact same thing.

Real Madrid is a near impossible place for virtually any player to turn down.

Factor in the fact that Alonso is Spanish & its tougher again. Factor in the fact that he is probably looking to cement a place in the WC team and its tougher again. On top of this add the fact that he is recently married and has a new baby. And if that wasn't reason enough, the election of Perez and subsequent players he's brought in and the Real fans crying out for a spanish heart to the team, its easy to see why he wants to go.

But people just use it as a stick to beat Rafa with :rolleyes: its beyond ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mike65 wrote: »

00000002.jpg

I though it was only Xabi who was on his bike this Summer?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

flahavaj wrote: »
    They are pretty much what has been widely reported across the media so far. I've read nowhere of any longing on Alonso's part to raise a family in his homeland anyway, thas for sure.
    It was also pretty widely reported last year that Rafa wanted to have both Alonso AND Barry - and as it turned out - Liverpool were short of staff in midfield when compared to Man Utd and Chelsea. Every player has a price though - last year Alonso's price was £18m. Madrid huffed and puffed but in the end it was THEM who didn't rate Alonso enough offer it, not Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

00000002.jpg

I dont like that formation, it cant/wouldnt/never will work in the premier league.

Rafa out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »
    has he even said he wants to leave publically?

no.

all anyone is doing is speculating, don't be getting up on your high horse when you're doing the exact same thing.

Real Madrid is a near impossible place for virtually any player to turn down.

Factor in the fact that Alonso is Spanish & its tougher again. Factor in the fact that he is probably looking to cement a place in the WC team and its tougher again. On top of this add the fact that he is recently married and has a new baby. And if that wasn't reason enough, the election of Perez and subsequent players he's brought in and the Real fans crying out for a spanish heart to the team, its easy to see why he wants to go.

But people just use it as a stick to beat Rafa with :rolleyes: its beyond ridiculous.

Liverpool Echo reports his desire to leave anyway and Tony Barrett is usually spot on.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/13/xabi-alonso-i-want-to-quit-liverpool-fc-for-real-madrid-100252-24140207/

Obviously its not a public statement from the player that he wants to leave, but its as good as you're going to get at this stage.

Than again, Alonso wanting to leave isn't really the issue here, thats been well established, its his reasons for wanting to leave that we're really debating.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was always under the impression he was a spurs supporter first :(

sure aren't they all spurs or arsenal or chelsea supporters first and then turn on the tv and see man utd :pac:

I'm well aware that TB is usually spot on, was just pointing out that you were giving someone stick for "speculating" when in reality thats wat we're all doing.

as for the reasons he wants to leave.....couple of weeks ago Xabi said he & Rafa had a good professional relationship.
    People seem to be claiming he can't stand working for him a minute longer. Which of course actually goes against what Alonso has said.

More likely is that Alonso just fancies Madrid for the reasons i pointed out above earlier.

I'm sure alonso wasn't happy when it became apparent that Rafa would have been willing to get rid of him last year. However i reckon he is a smart enough bloke to realise that he form wasn't wat it could/should have been & that form dictates a managers decisions, proof of this is that Real had no interest in signing him last year for the supposed 18m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I really don't think he makes that much of a difference results wise - though he does make us look better in general.

Really couldn't disagree more with the above statement.

Watch Lucas play and watch Xabi play and watch what they do when they receive the ball from the back 4 or any other player to start off an attack. Alonso composes himself, shrugs off a tackle if needs be and the finds a man in space in a good position and offers himself for the ball again. Lucas tends to just pass it backwards. We have nowhere near the quality of possession when Xabi dosn't play, and to suggest this dosn't impact on results is absurd IMO.

(Not having a go at Lucas here. He's not really suited to this deep-lying playmaker role and I'm comparing him to the absolute best).

The Carling Cup match against Spurs would be the prime example of how important Xabi is to our team. The difference between the first 65 minutes and the last 25 minutes was ridiculous and it was pretty much down to Alonso. He can be the difference between seeing absolutely none of the ball and having a lot of quality possession. Quality of possession dosn't neccessarily equal goals but it makes them a whole lot more likely. Ditto keeping clean sheets.

I said at the start of the summer that if Xabi goes we will really struggle to win the League and I'm not going to try and spin this. However, I would say that in comparision to United losing Ronaldo it may not be so bad. And people have pointed out the possible weaknesses of Chelsea and Arsenal, so I certainly wouldn't go as far as LuckyLloyd in ruling us out completely. It all depends on the replacement and what he can do. Lucas is not good enough to play this role or to be a starter in our team IMO.

Aqualani seems like a player who has the quality of passing and composure on the ball but then again he's Italian, unproven in the Premiership, does he speak English etc...?

I really think Xabi would be a far, far greater loss than Mascherano. I just struggle to see how we can keep the ball and dominate matches like we did last year without him.

But nothing's definite yet. He may well stay, fingers crossed he will. because with the current squads us and United have I actually put us favourite for the League ahead of them (Chelsea are something of an unknown quantity I feel) and I'm not an optimist usually.

Lose Alonso and I would reappraise this favourites tag, but I wouldn't rule us out altogether.

• Advertisement

Agree with morzadec. Alonso is our conductor of the orchestra. Mascherano and leiva simply dont have the vision/creativity/ball skills to compete with alonso.

Losing alonso and not aquiring a clone who has these attributes would need serious thought by benitez. Sneijder coming in the opposite direction would soften the blow a little imo, and i even heard a few murmourings of van nistelrooy aswell. Adding those two to the squad with anoter 10-15 mil wouldnt be bad business if indeed alonso did leave (all hypothetical).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

daithijjj wrote: »
    Agree with morzadec. Alonso is our conductor of the orchestra. Mascherano and leiva simply dont have the vision/creativity/ball skills to compete with alonso.

Losing alonso and not aquiring a clone who has these attributes would need serious thought by benitez. Sneijder coming in the opposite direction would soften the blow a little imo, and i even heard a few murmourings of van nistelrooy aswell. Adding those two to the squad with anoter 10-15 mil wouldnt be bad business if indeed alonso did leave (all hypothetical).

Christ - Ruud at Liverpool and Owen at United? Seriously, what is happening with football (also, I know which one i'd prefer at United and its not the new number 7!!)

Can't fooking wait for silly season to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Morzadec, all you have to do is look at the results with Xabi, and without, to see that he really made little or no difference all season.

He played in some good games we had, some bad games, and likewise didn't play in some other great games we had.

Seriously, its absurd.

He played in the 4-4 draws with Arsenal & Chelsea, draws at home to Stoke, West Ham & Hull, loss to Middlesborough, loss to Everton (FA Cup) & Chelsea (Cl).

Likewise he played in the wins against Real, Chelsea (EPL), United at home, but didn't play in the united away game.

So he's hardly an omen this year. He's played full matches in some of our worst performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't fooking wait for silly season to finish

and it's not just silly season for the media, it's the teams that have been acting up (madrid). i for one havent enjoyed this transfer window bar Ronaldo leaving...

and it's not just silly season for the media, it's the teams that have been acting up (madrid). i for one havent enjoyed this transfer window bar Ronaldo leaving...

Apart form the fact that he actually joined another team. I would have been happy to merely see him go. Just go. :p

Ah, sure all of this is just a storm in a teacup. I wish Alonso would just go if he's going, or definitely just stay. Its getting tiring.

We should all push for the transfer window lasting a grand total of 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Apart form the fact that he actually joined another team. I would have been happy to merely see him go. Just go. :p

Ah, sure all of this is just a storm in a teacup. I wish Alonso would just go if he's going, or definitely just stay. Its getting tiring.

We should all push for the transfer window lasting a grand total of 24 hours.

regardless whether he stays or goes, it was never going to be sorted out before the 18th anyway. Another week and we should know for certain either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

00000002.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks Carra is treating it like a race!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

00000002.jpg

Am I the only one waiting for a Joke about Rafa's new Rotation policy?

emc2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one waiting for a Joke about Rafa's new Rotation policy?

Thats like, SO last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Young Pacheco mixing it with the big boys - and triple H..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Kinda of good news bad news from TB - Masch going nowhere, but "the likelihood of Alonso leaving increasing with each passing day" :(

I'm still hopeful that Real won't agree on the price front, so that he stays.

Interesting about the MTK players - haven't done too badly with them so far.
    Fingers crossed it keeps up. They are clearly one of Hungary's top teams -won the league 23 times, 2nd 20 times and third 16 times in about 110 years.

TB says we have signed Poloskei already, although this was actually another season-long loan. When he signed on a season-long loan in 2008, he picked up an injury pretty much straight away and didn't really feature at all. Then it was decided to give him another season-long loan this year as he didnt have a chance to impress due to the injury.
    Javier Mascherano to be told: You’re staying at Liverpool FC
    Jul 14 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ will tell Javier Mascherano he will not be allowed to leave Liverpool when the Argentinian midfielder returns to pre-season training later this week.

The future of Mascherano – who became a father for the second time at the weekend – has been in question throughout the summer after the 25-year-old told the Reds boss that his wife was suffering from homesickness.

But with the likelihood of Xabi Alonso quitting Anfield increasing with every passing day, Benitez would be loathe to lose Mascherano as well and see his entire first choice central midfield wiped out in the space of a few weeks.

Mascherano has been attracting interest from Barcelona with Nou Camp boss Pep Guardiola keen to employ him behind Andres Iniesta and Xavi in the European champions’ engine room.

Benitez is desperate to hang on to the Argentina captain though and has already made it clear he is not looking to cash in on a player he regards as one of the finest defensive midfielders in world football.

With Mascherano due to join up with his team mates at pre-season training in Switzerland in the coming days Benitez will take the opportunity to tell the former West Ham man that he won’t be going anywhere because he is needed for Liverpool’s assault on the Premier League title in the coming season.

Contrary to reports, there are as yet no plans to offer the player a new contract as a sweetener with Mascherano just 18 months into a four year deal signed in February 2008.

Benitez is hoping that the lure of possible glory with Liverpool rather than an increased pay packet will be enough to convince Mascherano that his future remains at Anfield.

Only if Mascherano commits himself to the Liverpool cause once again will a new contract become a possibility.

Meanwhile, Liverpool are set to strengthen their links with Hungarian club MTK Budapest by taking five of their most promising youngsters on trial.

The Reds relationship with MTK has already seen them sign reserve team regulars Krisztian Nemeth, Peter Gulacsi, Zsolt Poloskei and Andras Simon since 2008.

With Nemeth and Gulacsi now involved in the first team set up during pre-season, Benitez will look once again tap into the MTK production line by running the rule over the quintet.

Goalkeeper Attila Abu, midfielders Krisztian Adorjan and Patrik Vass, striker Peter Horvath and defender Patrik Poor have all been invited to Liverpool’s academy after impressing academy director Frank McParland on a recent scouting mission.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/14/javier-mascherano-to-be-told-you-re-staying-at-liverpool-fc-100252-24148730/2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Am I the only one who thinks Carra is treating it like a race!:P

I'd be dissappointed if he wasnt.

Dont think he does any sport as a joke. My kind of guy.

Just having a look at who is in Swiss-land to see what insights can be pulled from it. It does make pretty clear who are considered the prospects for the future from the reserve side of things. It also gives an idea of who among the older reserve players are most likely on the way out (whether now or down the road)

Long-term the future at Liverpool doesn't look the brightest for Brouwer, Lindfield, Crowther, Threlfall and Putterill who are all 21 and havent been considered as possibilties. Maybe one of them might be a late bloomer but it looks kinda unlikely especially when you consider the teams they have been on loan with.

Probably the strangest thing is the absentees - no mention of Agger (maybe a knock?), Hammill (was pretty sure he'd be there) and Itandje (fifth in the keeper pecking order at best - maybe in the middle of negotiating a deal? )

I've broken it down into 4-2-3-1 formation and even when you add in Masch and Alonso into the midfield 2, it does look the weakest area in terms of cover
    Up front it was slightly trickier to break the 3-1 down exactly - so I left them together.

Diego Cavalieri
    Peter Gulacsi
    David Martin

Glen Johnson
    Emiliano Insúa
    Jamie Carragher
    Philipp Degen
    Stephen Darby
    Martin Kelly
    Martin Škrtel
    San Jose
    Daniel Ayala

Jay Spearing
    Lucas
    Damien Plessis

Nabil El Zhar
    Pachecho
    Steven Gerrard
    Andriy Voronin
    Yossi Benayoun
    Dirk Kuyt
    Ryan Babel
    David N'Gog
    Krisztián Németh

Daniel Agger - ????? Injury
    Adam Hammill - ????? Thought he'd surely be there, given the Burnley offer which was turned down

Javier Mascherano Wife Preggo
    Fábio Aurélio Injured
    Fernando Torres Hols - Back Sunday?
    Albert Riera Hols - Back Sunday?
    Xabi Alonso Hols - Back Sunday?
    Álvaro Arbeloa Hols - Back Sunday?
    Andrea Dossena Hols - Back Sunday?
    Pepe Reina Hols - Back Sunday?

Also had a look at the opposition for tomorrow. Don't exactly look massively threathening.

Only name that jumped out was Bernt Haas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_St._Gallen
    SWISS DIARY: DOUBLE TRAINING AND 125 KITS
    Jimmy Rice 14 July 2009

We're with the team in Switzerland and we'll be keeping you abreast of what's going on in the camp with our Swiss diary. In part one we reveal who's looking good in training and talk to a guy who owns 125 LFC tops (and it's not the kit man).

Gerrard and co have begun a week of strenuous training in Bad Ragaz, a quaint village shadowed by the mountains of east Switzerland. So far they've endured double training every day - a session in the morning and one after tea.

The push for fitness extends to cycling from their hotel to the training camp. Apparently, it's a five to seven minute ride - though it took this Liverpoolfc.tv journalist three quarters of an hour.

Our Spanish stars plus Dossena are not due until the weekend because of their Confederations Cup escapades, meaning a total of 24 players took part in last night's training. They were: Gulacsi, Martin, Ayala, Voronin, Degen, Darby, Skrtel, Gerrard, Benayoun, Pacheco, Kuyt, Johnson, El Zhar, Babel, Carragher, Nemeth, Kelly, Ngog, Insua, Spearing, Plessis, Lucas, San Jose and Cavalieri.

Nemeth scored a brilliant volleyed goal from an El Zhar cross as Sammy Lee took the youngsters through a series of attacking plays. Johnson also looked a class act against the lively Ngog.

Meanwhile, Mascherano is expected to join his teammates later this week. He was given extra time off due to his wife being heavily-pregnant with their second child. All the best, Masch.

Two people who haven't missed a minute of the trip are Florian Thurler and his wife Gil. Florian is the president of the Official Swiss Branch of our supporters' club and is the man with all the shirts. "He has a special room for them," explains Gil. "Do I mind? Of course not, I supported Liverpool before him!"

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165033090714-0657.htm
    JOHNSON SET FOR REDS DEBUT
    Jimmy Rice in Switzerland 14 July 2009

Glen Johnson is set to make his Reds debut against St Gallen on Wednesday night - a game you can watch live only on Liverpoolfc.tv.
    Rafa Benitez plans to give every one of his 24 available players some pitch time in the club's first pre-season friendly.

This means that, as well as our new right-back, youngsters such as Martin Kelly, Mikel San Jose, Daniel Pacheco, Peter Gulacsi, Daniel Ayala and Krisztian Nemeth will have a chance to impress.

"We will try to use all the players," said Benitez. "Our idea is to use one team in the first half and change it at half-time.

"We have the video of their game against Basel and they were well organised - the manager knows what to do. The main thing for us is to get the match fitness - the result isn't too important even though we want to win every single game - but it will be interesting.

"The important thing is to see how the team is on the pitch and see the understanding between the players."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165041090714-1319.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't think many Reds on here is too familiar with TIA, but I've been a member for quite some time now (3/4 years) and you may or may not have heard of a guy called "GBH". He has an amazing record of getting transfer scoops, correctly posting the signings of Agger, Kuyt, Bellamy and Pennant in the past waay before they actually happened, and before the tabloids or sources got their hands on the story. But he has had three wrong, Alves, Simao and Lucas Neill.

Today he posted this:
    I've been told today that Rafa is considering offering David Beckham a contract.

He still has a season or two left in him and also remains a huge marketing attraction.

Simple, and to do the point, his usual style.

Proof he knows what he's talking about, posted in May of 2006, three/four months before the signings went through.
    I'm hearing a few tales that El Gaffa will be bring in Alves, Pennant, Kuyt and Defoe in order to ensure he has two quality players for each position.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

think becks is still huge attraction and would sell a lot of "beckham 7" shirts, I also think he could still do a job especially with free kicks and crosses in for nando.

But cant see it happening tbh

On Becks - Can't see him getting into the team ahead of Kuyt, don't think he's suited to a 4-2-3-1 formation, don't really think that the fact that he would sell shirts is that great a reason to add him to the squad. How many shirts is he going to sell if he's constantly on the bench? Overall a big no.

I wouldn't object to Beckham at all..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

More stuff from that Livertweet site:
    An agreement has been concluded between Real and LFC. Xabi Alonso will join Madrid on 19th July for £26million. More on this incoming...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Morzadec, all you have to do is look at the results with Xabi, and without, to see that he really made little or no difference all season.

He played in some good games we had, some bad games, and likewise didn't play in some other great games we had.

Seriously, its absurd.

He played in the 4-4 draws with Arsenal & Chelsea, draws at home to Stoke, West Ham & Hull, loss to Middlesborough, loss to Everton (FA Cup) & Chelsea (Cl).

Likewise he played in the wins against Real, Chelsea (EPL), United at home, but didn't play in the united away game.

So he's hardly an omen this year. He's played full matches in some of our worst performances.

Good point (and interesting too), I suppose your evidence backs up your argument in many ways.

Although I would say that this argument could potentially be used to argue that Gerrard or Torres do not impact hugely on results, which I am sure we can both agree is a claim that's pretty much impossible to hold.

What I mean is, that if we were to look at which particular players played in the largest percentage of positive results, it would possibly be someone like Benayoun who would come out top. And as much as I like Benny, he's on the fringes of the starting XI rather than being the spine of the team.

For me, when I watch Alonso play and then watch Lucas try to play a similar role, the difference is huge. I just feel that there were very few games we didn't dominate and 'deserve' (I know some people don't like the use of this word) to win last year. I feel Alonso is at the centre of this dominance, and of the retention of possesion that is the Rafa-style of football. And I can't really see any other option in our team who can take and receive the ball, play it on, receive it again, switch the play from side to side and basically dictate the game.

I really do feel a lot more of our attacks break down and possesion is not as secure when Xabi dosn't play. Lucas often looks afraid to lose the ball so I feel his passing is often less dynamic and more 'safe' than Xabi. A bit of pressure and he tends to pass the ball straight back to Carra, Skrtel etc...

For me the only option in our squad at this present time to play such a role is Gerrard, but for obvious reasons this is not ideal.

I'm not saying that we can't win without Alonso, or that we won't lose with him. But I do think that his improved form last year was a key difference (if not the key difference) in us amassing 10 points more this season than last.

I think to say he has little impact on results underestimates him hugely. It may not be as visible or obvious as Gerrard or Torres banging in goals (or even Masch putting in a monster tackle), but Alonso has freed Gerrard from his role of 'pass it to me all the time I make the team tick' and allowed him to become a lethal goalscorer, and form his partnership with Torres (which according to Boards users is the very best in the world).

On top of this he has got a brilliant work ethic in defense and a goal threat in attack (there's only one player in the team ahead of Alonso I would want a ball to fall to on the edge of the area).

In my opinion Alonso makes the team tick in the Rafa style of keeping the ball and hoping that more possesion will lead to more goals. If he leaves we need someone else to make the team tick, and I have my doubts about how easy it will be to find such a player. The only option I see in the squad is Gerrard, so I feel we need a top quality replacement and hope they fit in well, hitting the ground running. Who that can be though I have no idea. Lets hope Rafa does.

Where would Beckham play? Right side in a 4-4-2, if Kuyt up front or injured? or as a "quarterback" in the Alonso position spraying balls wide? He can't tackle so Masch would be under greater pressure, not to mention Kuyt tracking back/inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

jesus this thread has moved a lot considering there has been extremely little news about the club...

Wouldn't like beckham to join but van nistelrooy would be very good back up if we got him for cheap....

He wouldn't replace anyone. He would compliment the existing players that we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I like becks (and his missus) I think if he came he would be a good addition to the team. I just cant see it happening though.

I'm going to be very dissapointed if Alonso goes. He is one of my favourite players and his playing style is the one I admire the most.

I honestly dont know who rafa has in mind for replacing him. Whoever he gets would need to gel pretty quickly - getting into a good run at the start is very important.

He wouldn't replace anyone. He would compliment the existing players that we have.

So Liverpool are getting a special dispensation to play with 12? ;)

Skysports

Real admit doubts over duo

Madrid could miss out on Alonso and Ribery

Real Madrid have admitted that they look set to miss out on transfer targets Xabi Alonso and Franck Ribery.
    Real have embarked on a remarkable summer spending spree, bringing in Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol.
    But returning president Florentino Perez's recruitment drive is not expected to end with that quartet and moves for Liverpool midfielder Alonso and Bayern Munich's French ace Ribery have long been mooted.
    However, both the Anfield outfit and the Bundesliga giants are not keen to part with their players and have insisted they are not for sale.
    Real Madrid sporting director Miguel Pardeza confirmed that their interest in the duo could well come to nothing, although he did hint they could continue their pursuit of the Spain international.
    Negotiations

Pardeza told Cadena SER: "Rumours have abounded this week.
    "Xabi Alonso is a great player and we can't deny that this team would greatly benefit from his work, but it looks like the situation may not end up well for us.
    "We'll nevertheless keep fighting for him and hope negotiations become reasonable again."
    He added: "Bayern Munich haven't even shown interest in transferring Ribery.
    "It doesn't seem to be reasonable to keep insisting when so much money is asked for a player."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5433507,00.html

Now this is News! Quotes and everything...

No change there, just pony up 30 million+ and they'll get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I don't think many Reds on here is too familiar with TIA, but I've been a member for quite some time now (3/4 years) and you may or may not have heard of a guy called "GBH". He has an amazing record of getting transfer scoops, correctly posting the signings of Agger, Kuyt, Bellamy and Pennant in the past waay before they actually happened, and before the tabloids or sources got their hands on the story. But he has had three wrong, Alves, Simao and Lucas Neill.

Today he posted this:

Simple, and to do the point, his usual style.

Proof he knows what he's talking about, posted in May of 2006, three/four months before the signings went through.

Thoughts?

I've always read GBH's bits and pieces, find him only a mediocre source, he's wrong at least as often as he's right. A good insight though, always provides food for thought, should just be taken with plenty of salt.

I do like the idea of Beckham coming alright, could be this teams McAllister signing. Excellent potential addition to the squad.

imo it's a lot better than an article with no qoutes saying alonso wants to leave... at least this one shows that there is a big difference between liverpool's valuation and madrid. So i really don't think madrid are just going to add another 8 -10 million to get him unless they sell a few players at least.

So Liverpool are getting a special dispensation to play with 12? ;)

No but when the brute force approach of Dirk fails, Beckham lobbing in a few careful crosses or pulling something of the bag with a free kick would be a welcome option with 10 mins to go against Stoke in Anfield.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    imo it's a lot better than an article with no qoutes saying alonso wants to leave... at least this one shows that there is a big difference between liverpool's valuation and madrid. So i really don't think madrid are just going to add another 8 -10 million to get him unless they sell a few players at least.

Tis just a game of cat and mouse. Madrid could come out 50 times and say that it is unlikely and I wouldn't believe for a second that they have given up. Just isn't how they work - especially when they need a player like Alonso.

Tis just a game of cat and mouse. Madrid could come out 50 times and say that it is unlikely and I wouldn't believe for a second that they have given up. Just isn't how they work - especially when they need a player like Alonso.

I completely agree.... he even mentions that they won't give up on him in the article but i'm a lot happier knowing that Madrid aren't any closer to signing Alonso even though there have been reports that he has told rafa he wants to go..

It means real will have to pay top dollar if they are to get him...

No but when the brute force approach of Dirk fails, Beckham lobbing in a few careful crosses or pulling something of the bag with a free kick would be a welcome option with 10 mins to go against Stoke in Anfield.

Carefull now, what you are doing is suggesting that an alternative to dirk, with some different skills might actually benefit the team as a whole. Ive been saying this since i joined this forum and generally i get 'hissed' at.

I totally agree with your post above. Dirk has his attributes but they would not include pinging a 40 yard pass onto a six pence for torres. One single defence splitter can be the difference between a frustrating draw and a vital result. Dont think for one second that beckham will sign however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5starpool wrote: »
    More stuff from that Livertweet site:

An agreement has been concluded between Real and LFC. Xabi Alonso will join Madrid on 19th July for £26million. More on this incoming...

July 19th, July 19th... Any idea why July 19th should be so important?

...July 19th. On this day, Galway liberated from Indians. Marathon becomes Snickers, Xabi Alonso joins Real Madrid, Ice Age ends.

Cos the sell on clause with Real Sociedad expires, it was worth 20% of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

The-Rigger wrote: »
    July 19th, July 19th... Any idea why July 19th should be so important?

...July 19th. On this day, Galway liberated from Indians. Marathon becomes Snickers, Xabi Alonso joins Real Madrid, Ice Age ends.

Wasn't that also the date that Cameron Poe was released in Con Air

Coincidence, I think not

• Advertisement

Pimpey wrote: »
    Wasn't that also the date that Cameron Poe was released in Con Air

Coincidence, I think not

Damn you. Now I know Xabi is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be very surprised at Beckham going to Liverpool, he is United through and through since childhood, hell he was even at the United Arsenal semi final cheering United on.

Then again, you never know in football, but I'd be fairly shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'll be gutted if Alonso leaves, regarding Gerrard returning to the midfield role who could you get to play behind Torres the way Gerrard does? Nobody can really as they've got such a good understanding of each other - where they're going to run into etc. I'd like to see Lucas step up - he's been poor in the past and only shown glimpses of his talent, perhaps this could be his time to step up and take on the responsability of controlling midfield....he'll have big shoes to fill! :(

actually Lucas was very good for the last 6 months or so of the season.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised at Beckham going to Liverpool, he is United through and through since childhood, hell he was even at the United Arsenal semi final cheering United on.

Then again, you never know in football, but I'd be fairly shocked.

as shocking as Owen going to Utd and Tevez going to City? He'll be similar to Owen, just desperate for any big club to give him a chance, if it's us, he'll jump at it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement