Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think you overestimate Tevez or Owens love for their old clubs.

It'd be like Gerrard joining Madrid then eventually joining United. It just wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mr Alan wrote: »
    actually Lucas was very good for the last 6 months or so of the season.

I know but any of my friends that I've talked to about him have already written him off. I personally think he'll have a good season this year - he's after bulking up a good bit - looks a stronger player who can impose himself more than he could previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised at Beckham going to Liverpool, he is United through and through since childhood, hell he was even at the United Arsenal semi final cheering United on.

Then again, you never know in football, but I'd be fairly shocked.

World Cup coming up and all of that....

As I said earlier Beckham would be a great squad player and a fantastic addition. Not sure what the story is with his Galaxy contract though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PHB wrote: »
    I think you overestimate Tevez or Owens love for their old clubs.

It'd be like Gerrard joining Madrid then eventually joining United. It just wouldn't happen.

<shrugs> and I think you are seriously overestimating beckhams 'love' for utd. His career moves have been similar enough to Owen.

I don't particuarly want him but if we decide he is worth it I've no doubt he'd come to us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lads if any of you are not in the SOS please conceder joining we are trying to push the numbers up as the more members you have the bigger mandate you have.If you have any questions on membership feel free to ask here or PM me.

Just look at some of the things that have happened of late to show you the union is working and people are listening
    1- the response they got from the club and the setting up of rewarding loyalty for previous pts members - i have no doubt this was only done by the club after hearing the concernd of sos and its members
    2- the freezing of the season ticket prices - its no coinceidence that this has been done since the union took the issue to the club
    3- the fact that rbs have answered many sos mebers and the comitte is also another plus, jolournalists have tried for ages to get info from them and got no where, but the union has been listened too, granted the response from rbs was rubbish but its another step in the right direction

4 - in the past the club has done as it pleases on all issues and never listened to fans , in some ways now we have seen this has changed and they know every move they make is been monitored now

So i say to you all who have not joined - Please sign up now and become active and give your opinion and input, we need to stand together and fight for our beloved club !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I have absolutely no doubt Beckham would sign for Liverpool if he got the chance, in fact he'd jump at the chance and good luck to him. As an impact sub on the right wing, he'd be a bloody fantastic signing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

daithijjj wrote: »
    Carefull now, what you are doing is suggesting that an alternative to dirk, with some different skills might actually benefit the team as a whole. Ive been saying this since i joined this forum and generally i get 'hissed' at.

No.

You said that Dirk's position is the one that needs imidiate competition.
    Everyone pointed out to you that while yes, an option there would be nice, there are positions that need the bolstering a hell of a lot more.
    So that a right winger should NOT be top priority.
    Especially not with our small budget.

Way to go on skewing the facts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

can not see beckham joining us, the abuse he and his misses got at anfield was horrific down the years,pity though technically gifted and would guarantee you plenty of assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

No.

You said that Dirk's position is the one that needs imidiate competition.
    Everyone pointed out to you that while yes, an option there would be nice, there are positions that need the bolstering a hell of a lot more.
    So that a right winger should NOT be top priority.
    Especially not with our small budget.

Way to go on skewing the facts though.

Yes i remember it well karma, you wanted to get another left back with the same 'limited funds' despite having 3 allready in the squad. Get your knickers out of a twist ffs.

Pennant, allthough being a tosser, has left the club this year and there is little or no competition on the right until johnson signed (arbeloa staying is not cast in stone yet either) .........there are 5 people to play on the left and you want/suggested to spray cash there. Your talking rubbish my friend.

And if you think that a handfull of 'joes' on boards.ie think kuyt is a masterclass of a footballer happens to be the general concensus, you are sadly mistaken. Theres plenty who think he has limited talent, they just dont spend time on this thread. And those who do think it, wrap it up in some sort of diplomatic posturing for the sake of the sensitivities of folk who spend time in here.

The club has signed two right mids in about 6 years (pennant and nunez ,both useless)......weve gone round in circles over this before but i wont pipe down in the face of these stats that you so love.

Do your stats include......never attacking the full back?, not being able to cross the ball with consistency?, a first touch thats comparable with players in the loi?

You have claimed yourself that kuyt doesnt get enough respect....yes?
    The people you are talking about are fans of the same team....no?
    Are they all wrong?....Obviously they cant see what you can?

Why do you think that the gaffer went over the odds to get johnson?........Il tell you what, you carry on comforting yourself in the stats you compile and il carry on looking at a right back coming in thats a more attacking threat than dirk, if thats ok with yourself?

I have no intentions of going through this again with you, i dont come in here quoting people day in, day out, expressing that i think they are wrong. They and myself are entitled to our opinions and i will air my views regardless . I generally, infact i rarely, quote anybody in here and take them to task over their thoughts, if you could kindly put me on your ignore list, that would be more suitable for me and no doubt, for you also.

The only reason i have quoted you in the past is because you have gone to task with my opinion and are incapable of just ignoring it, garnishing your ripostes with only positives and no negatives. Just use the ignore function buddy. This merry-go-round is going nowhere and is fruitless.

I sometimes agree with you on lots of other stuff lfc, so if you wouldnt mind id like to keep the people on my ignore list at zero. But by all means, put me on yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Kuyt and Yossi are enough for the right hand side at the moment tbf and El Zhar has just signed a contract extension too so I don't think there'll be any right wingers coming in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Kuyt and Yossi are enough for the right hand side at the moment tbf and El Zhar has just signed a contract extension too so I don't think there'll be any right wingers coming in the near future.

No offence but that statement is just pure wrong. I absolutley love Kuyt, his work ethic, his attitude, his assists and his goals but to say that he is a part of, not even a solution but THE right hand side of our midfield along with Yossi cannot be the forward thinking that we need to stop United in overtaking us in the league title race that this year it will all be down to.

No matter what, we need to strenthen our right wing/RM area, Johnson coming in will give us a great option especially on the overalpping on the right but we still need an out and out RM to challange and hopefully win the league this year.

I am not saying that Kuyt won't be important or needed but we really need a player that is comfortable and that maybe can take a corner/cross a ball from the right and leave Stevie G where he should be, at the edge of the box to collect and hammer home anything that may fall his way other than be stuck out 30 yard away from the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Kuyt.
    Benni.
    Johnson.
    El Zhar.
    Gerrard.
    Babel.

Yup.

No strenght on the right at all.

Only a Dutch regular.
    An England stalworth, our captain and our best player.
    The Israeli captain.
    and in Babel and El Zhar young players who've shown plenty of promise.

It's also worth noting that 3 of our best players last season play there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dossena is going so we had Aurelio and Insua.
    And guess what, I was exactly right, as Rafa has already strenghtened there.

You do remember him buying a new left back right?
    A young French lad.
    Any bells?

Sounds mike asinga?!!!!!:confused:

Left wing we now have Babel, Riera, and Benni.

Riera was inconsistant last season.
    Babel was inconsistant last season.
    Benni plays at his worst on the left.

Get off your high horse.
    You brought this up again, simply cause you came up with an idea a few months ago, and people here disagreed with you.

Grow up.

Allow me to put it simply for you.

WE HAD THE BEST RIGHT WINGER IN THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON!

This really isn't rocket science.

5 players who can play well on the right.
    3 players who can play well on the left.
    Again, not rocket science.

I'm begining to think Dirk Kuyt touched you as a child.

You have the most once sided oppinion of him.

So he didn't cross the ball for Babel to score the winner against Utd?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score aganst West Ham?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score against Tottenham?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score against Real?
    He didn't cross the ball in Benni to score against Newcastle?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score against Arsenal?
    He didn't cross the bal in for Benni to score against Arsenal?

Damn, that's a lot of goasl from Dirk getting the ball in from wide seeing as he's a player who can't cross a ball it seems.

Karma was that directed at me? After re-reading your post probably not, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kuyt.
    Benni.
    Johnson.
    El Zhar.
    Gerrard.
    Babel.

Yup.

No strenght on the right at all.

Only a Dutch regular.
    An England stalworth, our captain and our best player.
    The Israeli captain.
    and in Babel and El Zhar young players who've shown plenty of promise.

It's also worth noting that 3 of our best players last season play there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dossena is going so we had Aurelio and Insua.
    And guess what, I was exactly right, as Rafa has already strenghtened there.

You do remember him buying a new left back right?
    A young French lad.
    Any bells?

Sounds mike asinga?!!!!!:confused:

Left wing we now have Babel, Riera, and Benni.

Riera was inconsistant last season.
    Babel was inconsistant last season.
    Benni plays at his worst on the left.

Get off your high horse.
    You brought this up again, simply cause you came up with an idea a few months ago, and people here disagreed with you.

Grow up.

Allow me to put it simply for you.

WE HAD THE BEST RIGHT WINGER IN THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON!

This really isn't rocket science.

5 players who can play well on the right.
    3 players who can play well on the left.
    Again, not rocket science.

I'm begining to think Dirk Kuyt touched you as a child.

You have the most once sided oppinion of him.

So he didn't cross the ball for Babel to score the winner against Utd?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score aganst West Ham?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score against Tottenham?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score against Real?
    He didn't cross the ball in Benni to score against Newcastle?
    He didn't cross the ball in for Torres to score against Arsenal?
    He didn't cross the bal in for Benni to score against Arsenal?

Damn, that's a lot of goasl from Dirk getting the ball in from wide seeing as he's a player who can't cross a ball it seems.

This post is not brain surgery, to be fair.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    This post is not brain surgery, to be fair.

Not exactly rocket science though is it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think we all recognise that Kuyt is limited technically, but i guarantee that every Left Back he faces sleeps like a baby after a game, he must be a nightmare to deal with.
    If we only had a team that was technically brilliant but lacking commitment, passion and end result, we'd be City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

First match of the (pre) season - YEAH !!!!!

Chat on the offy with Rafa.

Well played on the Swiss journalists questions:D

Doesn't give too much away when asked the replacement 4th choice CB question.

Loving the mentions of Degen and fitness - Rafa's obviously has doubts about him staying fit until kick-off.
    RAFA ON GLEN, YOUNGSTERS AND ST GALLEN
    Jimmy Rice in Switzerland 15 July 2009

Rafa Benitez addressed the Swiss media ahead of tonight's friendly with St Gallen - here's what he told them.

How does it feel to be back in Switzerland?

I'm really pleased. It's a nice place, if a little bit warm now. The people are good, the facilities are fantastic and the journalists are really good! So, everything is okay.

You have a few new members within your backroom staff plus Glen Johnson - how's everyone settling in?

It's easy to settle down here. The atmosphere is good - the players are feeling really good with their teammates and with the staff. Everything is going really well.

Is Glen likely to make his debut against St Gallen?

We will try to use all the players. Our idea is to use one team in the first half and change it at half-time.

What are you expecting from the game?

We have the video of the game they won against Basel and they were well organised - the manager knows what to do. The main thing for us is to get the match fitness - the result isn't too important even though we want to win every single game - but it will be interesting. The important thing is to see how the team is on the pitch and see the understanding between the players.

How are some of the younger players - the likes of Krisztian Nemeth - settling into the first-team environment?

They are working hard. They're a little bit tired because the tempo of the first team is always higher. We will see against St Gallen because, if we don't have any problems, all of them will be there.

With Sami Hyypia's departure, is there a potential opening for someone like Daniel Ayala, Mikel San Jose or Martin Kelly?

We decided to bring the young players because we wanted to see them with the first-team players and also playing some games. Okay, they have to fight. We will 100 per cent consider them for the season. We have to decide about one or two things to finalise in pre-season, but in terms of these players, we think they have a great future at the club. We are monitoring them to see if they can give us something in the season, and they're improving and working really hard.

What about Philipp Degen - could he feature in his home country?

I think he's the happiest man in the squad now - he can understand everyone! He's training very, very well and if he's fit he'll be a very good addition for us.

What will Johnson's arrival mean for Degen?

Competition. The players have to compete for their positions. He's doing well, training hard and if he has no injuries maybe we will see the best of Philipp.

You are closing the gap on the champions. It was 11 points, then four. What do you have to do to close the gap finally?

You have to do everything almost perfectly because in the Premier League you cannot lose many games. You need a good atmosphere, and we have a good squad now. The understanding is really good now between the players. The main thing for me is to be contenders. We have to be there in the top four and close, then see what happens. Chelsea, United and Arsenal are very strong, and this year you'll have Tottenham, Aston Villa and City. It's clearly the most difficult league. We are strong enough to beat anyone and we need to be consistent. We got 86 points - a record for the club in the Premier League - but we still need to improve. But we have a lot of confidence.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165043090715-0719.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm no Dirk hater, he does a job, and he does it well.

But that job is NOT the job we need on the right. He holds the ball up well, but his touch isn't exactly the most delicate thing I've ever seen, and he lacks pace.

Karma, you stated a few assists he had last season - he had 12 in total. Which compared to others, seems fine - not when you think he played 51 games, the majority on the right though, his games to assist ratio should be far higher.

What is vaguely impressive, is that he scored 15 goals, and that compounds my next point - he's better as an out and out striker IMO.

He has a good eye for goal, can turn on the ball well, and has a rocket of a shot. Unfortunately he doesn't get to show these off on the right very much.

His work rate and effort are what we need when playing tougher opposition IMO, United, Chelsea, Arsenal (to an extent) etc where his work rate goes towards tiring the opposition down.

Against weaker sides though, thats just not enough, we need someone who has the ability to take on players, speed down the wing and send in quality cross after quality cross.

IMO - we need a right sided Riera. I know he was inconsistent-ish last season, but I think he's one to watch, and he'll do very well.

Being a regular in Europes No. 1 international side says a lot about Riera's ability - and he proved the faith the coach had in him in the Confederations Cup, where he played excellently.

Karma - out of the 6 players you stated can play on the right, I dont think Babel or El Zhar ever played a full match on the right side of midfield.

Arguably, that would be a better position for Babel - though I still think up front is where he's at too. El Zhar in fairness, isn't really ready yet, Gerrard plays best behind Torres, I've said enough about Kuyt. Johnson is a full back, and Benny is not a 90 minute player - he's an impact sub, who plays best in a free role.

So given that, out of who you listed, there is not a single out and out right wing forward thinking player.

You still think we have what it takes wide right?? You must be delusional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dirk was your best player last season.

Whats the story with the 18th, Alonso and Real Soc?

Boggles wrote: »
    Dirk was your best player last season.

Whats the story with the 18th, Alonso and Real Soc?

There is talk that a sell-on clause worth 20% to Real Soc expires on the 18th

Don't know how much truth there is to it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is talk that a sell-on clause worth 20% to Real Soc expires on the 18th

Don't know how much truth there is to it really.

And who usually pays this, the club buying or the club selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Liverppol would have to give 20% of the deal to Sociadad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

are the spanish lads in switzerland with the rest of the squad or are they still off after the confederations cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

daithijjj wrote: »
    Do your stats include......never attacking the full back?, not being able to cross the ball with consistency?, a first touch thats comparable with players in the loi?

I'm sorry but you're talking crap. First touch comparable to LOI? give me a break, his first touch is fine 90% of the time, and can actually be very good.
    Can't consistently cross the ball? What wingers in the PL can? Crossing is very difficult and not everyone is David Beckham. Karma already gave several examples of his excellent crossing which you can go ahead and ignore.

Against weaker sides though, thats just not enough, we need someone who has the ability to take on players, speed down the wing and send in quality cross after quality cross.

There is hardly a player in world football who fits this bill. The standard of crossing is generally atrocious. We could have Aaron Lennon flying down the right, but he's not half as good a crosser or as productive as Kuyt

• Advertisement

Not sure exactly how the actual transfer of funds work tbh, but I would imagine that the funds would go directly from the buying club (Madrid) to the original club (Sociedad), as to do otherwise would be a case of adding unnecessary complexity to the issue.

The main thing is that it affects how much Liverpool would get for Alonso, which would be why he supposedly wouldnt be sold before this.

Personally I would think that if there is a clause it would be 20% of any sell-on profit rather than 20% overall. If it were the case that Real Sociedad were reported as being entitled to 20% of the sell on fee, there could be implications re ownership and registration, which I why I would say it's a 20% of any net profit.

Assuming he were sold for £30m pre 18th July
    Net Profit of 20% : 30m -10.7m = 19.3m * 20% = £3.86m =>LFC get £26.14m
    20% of Overall Sale : 30m * 20% = £6m =>LFC get £24m

Assuming he were sold for £30m after 18th July => LFC get £30m

prendy wrote: »
    are the spanish lads in switzerland with the rest of the squad or are they still off after the confederations cup?

There not back til next week as far as I know

prendy wrote: »

Spanish 5 and Dossena still off - think they are due back this Sunday. Might be slightly different for Torres with El Nina arriving (don't know though)
    Masch is off as well as his wife is due to pop a kid sometime around now.
    Aurelio out injured.
    Oddly no word of Daniel Agger being in Swiss-land(didnt see him in any pics), no word of injuries either. MIA at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Masch is off as well as his wife is due to pop a kid sometime around now.
    She had the kid at the weekend apparently and he's due to meet up with the squad at some stage this week.

Not sure about Agger

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/15/daniel-agger-out-with-back-injury-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-24158108/

RAFA BENITEZ’S pre-season preparations have been hampered after Daniel Agger was ruled out of Liverpool’s first warm up match against St Gallen in Switzerland tonight.

The Danish defender has been forced to remain behind on Merseyside after suffering a recurrence of the back problem which ruled him out of action for more than a month of the last campaign.

Agger first picked up the injury while on international duty with Denmark last February and though he recovered to win his place back in Benitez’s starting line up towards the end of the season the problem flared up again at the weekend and the Reds boss has opted to take no chances on his fitness.

The 24-year-old is currently undergoing treatment at Melwood and will also miss Liverpool’s second friendly away to Rapid Vienna on Sunday.

But Benitez is hopeful that Agger will have recovered in time to take his place on the club’s trip to Thailand and Singapore although the Reds boss will take into account the effects that a gruelling long haul flight to the Far East could have on the centre back before making a final decision.

Agger’s absence has handed an opportunity for young Spanish defender Danny Ayala to show what he can do.

The 18-year-old does not yet have a squad number and was not initially included in Liverpool’s travelling party to take part in the Swiss training camp but with Agger ruled out Benitez drafted Ayala in and could even give him a run out against St Gallen.

itez is planning to field a different team in each half of tonight’s game against the newly promoted Swiss side and that is likely to mean several youngsters will be given the chance to shine.

Goalkeepers Peter Gulacsi and David Martin, defenders Martin Kelly, Stephen Darby, and Mikel San Jose, midfielder Jay Spearing and forwards Dani Pacheco and Krisztian Nemeth will all be included in the Reds squad and will all be hopeful of making at least a brief appearance.

But all eyes will be on Glen Johnson as the most expensive defender in Liverpool’s history makes his eagerly awaited first appearance in a red shirt.

The England man has impressed in training even though he has been operating mainly in an unfamiliar left back berth as Benitez has put his £16m man through his paces.

Hopefully nothing serious but it's a worry as it's a re-accurence of an injury from last season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was looking at tonights match in betting terms and there is no value except in backing the home side win/draw. PP only have 3 markets. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

on de kuyt/right midfield saga that seems to be never ending on here...

Kuyt, while not an out and out winger, does a fantastic job for us dere, dis cannot be denied, i think benitez believes dat to bring in a player better dan kuyt, or an out and out winger of equal ability would be too expensive and at the end of the day pointless.

To put it another way, how many liverpool standard wingers are there available for around 15m, and would dese players bring more to the team dan kuyt.

Rafa mustn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

FYP
    thebhoy wrote: »
    on the kuyt/right midfield saga that seems to be never ending on here...

Kuyt, while not an out and out winger, does a fantastic job for us there, this cannot be denied, i think benitez believes that to bring in a player better than kuyt, or an out and out winger of equal ability would be too expensive and at the end of the day pointless.

To put it another way, how many liverpool standard wingers are there available for around 15m, and would these players bring more to the team than kuyt.

Rafa mustn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/15/daniel-agger-out-with-back-injury-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-24158108/

RAFA BENITEZ’S pre-season preparations have been hampered after Daniel Agger was ruled out of Liverpool’s first warm up match against St Gallen in Switzerland tonight.

The Danish defender has been forced to remain behind on Merseyside after suffering a recurrence of the back problem which ruled him out of action for more than a month of the last campaign.

Agger first picked up the injury while on international duty with Denmark last February and though he recovered to win his place back in Benitez’s starting line up towards the end of the season the problem flared up again at the weekend and the Reds boss has opted to take no chances on his fitness.

The 24-year-old is currently undergoing treatment at Melwood and will also miss Liverpool’s second friendly away to Rapid Vienna on Sunday.

But Benitez is hopeful that Agger will have recovered in time to take his place on the club’s trip to Thailand and Singapore although the Reds boss will take into account the effects that a gruelling long haul flight to the Far East could have on the centre back before making a final decision.

Agger’s absence has handed an opportunity for young Spanish defender Danny Ayala to show what he can do.

The 18-year-old does not yet have a squad number and was not initially included in Liverpool’s travelling party to take part in the Swiss training camp but with Agger ruled out Benitez drafted Ayala in and could even give him a run out against St Gallen.

itez is planning to field a different team in each half of tonight’s game against the newly promoted Swiss side and that is likely to mean several youngsters will be given the chance to shine.

Goalkeepers Peter Gulacsi and David Martin, defenders Martin Kelly, Stephen Darby, and Mikel San Jose, midfielder Jay Spearing and forwards Dani Pacheco and Krisztian Nemeth will all be included in the Reds squad and will all be hopeful of making at least a brief appearance.

But all eyes will be on Glen Johnson as the most expensive defender in Liverpool’s history makes his eagerly awaited first appearance in a red shirt.

The England man has impressed in training even though he has been operating mainly in an unfamiliar left back berth as Benitez has put his £16m man through his paces.

Hopefully nothing serious but it's a worry as it's a re-accurence of an injury from last season

Benitez playing players out of position again?

Or is this due to Aurelio being injured and Dossena away? Does he not trust Insua?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

slingerz wrote: »

Or is this due to Aurelio being injured and Dossena away? Does he not trust Insua?

He could be also giving Darby a run in training at rightback so as to help him settle and have a good look at him knowing full well what to expect from Johnson at rightback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I doubt theres anything to do with trust about it, probably more just to see how he copes there, and to build on his whole game rather then just the right sided aspect. Rafa loves players to be comfortable on the whole pitch, not just in their little pigeon holed section of it.

what is FYP supposed to mean? AFAIK IMHO its final year project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

fyp = fixed your post. speak proper son...

Mike i would consider it even worse to use text speak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's all about flexibility in players games. If he can operate comfortably at left back then Rafa can be assured that putting him in that position should we have an injury crisis, G.J will be able to slot in there no problems.

He can also fill in at CB if needs be.

Insua will most definitely be the 1st team LB for the start of the season.

Just remember what preseason really means...

experimentation and experience for the young lads.

I hope Nemeth, Darby, Kelly, Pacheco and Spearing play tonight and show what they are capable of.

Match is live on Liverpool website from 7pm our time and delayed coverage from 9pm on LFCTV which is free for a while :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

But that job is NOT the job we need on the right. He holds the ball up well, but his touch isn't exactly the most delicate thing I've ever seen, and he lacks pace.

Karma, you stated a few assists he had last season - he had 12 in total. Which compared to others, seems fine - not when you think he played 51 games, the majority on the right though, his games to assist ratio should be far higher.

What is vaguely impressive, is that he scored 15 goals, and that compounds my next point - he's better as an out and out striker IMO.

IMO - we need a right sided Riera.

12 Assists seem fine, 15 goals is vaguely impressive, We need a right sided riera?

So your content with rieras very average season but not with Kuyts fantastic season?

If riera matched that this season i`ll be very very surprised.

With Johnson on the Right with Kuyt there partnership could be as important as torres and gerrard up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

who did rafa play out of position before??

12 Assists seem fine, 15 goals is vaguely impressive, We need a right sided riera?

So your content with rieras very average season but not with Kuyts fantastic season?

With Johnson on the Right with Kuyt there partnership could be as important as torres and gerrard up front.

100% agree with you.

Kuyt had a magnificent season and his contribution should be up there with Stevie and Nando. Yossi was also incredible towards the end.

Riera started off very well but faded after December.

If he starts well and keeps it going for the rest of the season we could easily win the title with both he and Kuyt performing well, adding goals and assists. If both get 10+ goals in the league we might well have no.19 in our cabinet.

And with G.J and Kuyt on the right we have a bombing RB that puts in excellent crosses and a work horse that will track back and defend when he needs to, a perfect combination.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    who did rafa play out of position before??

Possibly he was referring to Skrtel playing at RB when we lost at Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not sure where the criticism of Dirk is coming from. With the exception of the now most expensive player in the world, was there any player that plays at wide right or wide left in the Premiership last season that had a season that bettered Dirk in both goals and assists?

Edit: Upon looking at the stats for the most expensive player in the world, it seems that Dirk had more assists in the league than him.

2008-2009 Premier League assists table
    4thegame.com highlights those valuable players who create scoring opportunities for others.

The Providers Team Assists
    Robin van Persie Arsenal 11
    Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United 10
    Cesc Fabregas Arsenal 10
    Steven Gerrard Liverpool 10
    Frank Lampard Chelsea 10
    Stephen Ireland Manchester City 9
    Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 9
    James Milner Aston Villa 9
    Luka Modric Tottenham Hotspur 9
    Ashley Young Aston Villa 9
    Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa 8
    Ryan Giggs Manchester United 8
    Steed Malbranque Sunderland 8
    Morten Gamst Pedersen Blackburn Rovers 8
    Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal 7
    Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 7
    Andrey Arshavin Arsenal 7
    Mikel Arteta Everton 7
    Leighton Baines Everton 7
    Gareth Barry Aston Villa 7

2008-2009 Top Scorers
    Top Scorers Team Prem CC FA UEFA CL Other Total
    Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 19 0 4 0 2 0 25
    Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 18 2 1 0 4 0 25
    Steven Gerrard Liverpool 16 0 1 0 7 0 24
    Frank Lampard Chelsea 12 2 3 0 3 0 20
    Robin van Persie Arsenal 11 0 4 0 5 0 20
    Darren Bent Tottenham Hotspur 12 1 0 4 0 0 17
    Wayne Rooney Manchester United 12 0 1 0 4 0 17
    Fernando Torres Liverpool 14 0 1 0 2 0 17
    Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal 10 0 0 0 6 0 16
    Peter Crouch Portsmouth 11 0 1 4 0 0 16
    Nicklas Bendtner Arsenal 9 2 2 0 2 0 15
    John Carew Aston Villa 11 0 1 2 0 1 15
    Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 12 0 0 0 3 0 15
    Robson de Souza Robinho Manchester City 14 0 0 1 0 0 15
    Carlos Tevez Manchester United 5 6 2 0 2 0 15
    Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United 9 0 1 0 4 0 14
    Didier Drogba Chelsea 5 1 3 0 5 0 14
    Roman Pavlyuchenko Tottenham Hotspur 5 6 3 0 0 0 14
    Jermain Defoe* Tottenham Hotspur 10 1 0 2 0 0 13
    Stephen Ireland Manchester City 9 1 0 3 0 0 13
    Benni McCarthy Blackburn Rovers 10 2 1 0 0 0 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

12 assists, in 51 matches = not a great return considering the amount of goals we scored.

We need someone who's going to consistently get the ball into the danger area, get to the by line, terrorise defenders. Kuyt doesn't do that. Thats the difference thats required against the weaker teams who defend deep and with numbers.

I'm not stating Kuyt didn't have a good season, its where he falls down that we need someone to improve upon.

Yes, I was impressed with Riera this season, it was his first season with us, thrown in at the deep end, and he played well, crossed well, and even scored a couple (5).

He made 40 appearances (7 as sub), and played about half the time Kuyt did. So all in all, for a first season, he did very well. I like his attacking style, and his ability to take on defenders. He cost less than Kuyt, and hasnt had the 2 years bedding in that Kuyt has.

People here seem very eager to state Kuyt is this/that/the other. IMO he's not. Yes, he puts in tonnes of effort, must be the fittest person in the EPL, and gets a couple of goals.

But, his first touch is generally not very good, he can't beat defenders (though sometimes he fluffs it), and can't cross.

I'd rather see him up top, in front of goal, where his finishing can be exploited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yes but he played some up front / no but he played most on the right / yes but its not a like-for-like comparison / no but stats don't lie / yes but he's not fast enough / yes but he makes up for it with stamina / no but we need more trickery / yes but who can give the same effort / no but we need less effort more skill / yes but i just love kuyt / no but i just don't like kuyt.

There - the next 3 pages summed up. No need to actually do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fixed Your Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

seriously guy, the answer is like 9 posts up the page...
    fyp = fixed your post. speak proper son...

Mike i would consider it even worse to use text speak...

it just referred to someone fixing your spelling, putting in the t's and th's instead of d's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement