Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

JPA wrote: »
    Oh right, it seemed a bit too good to be true.
    Not that I'm a Liverpool fan.

yeah, unfortunately id say those live online rights are way outside LFC TV's budget for the season proper. Still though LFC being free on sky for the next month is pretty sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :D

He's a cyborg our Dirk

Did you see his last minute clearing header in the box? He can only play that way, such a workhorse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Daily Gossip

Liverpool have expressed an interest in Albacete's Belgian midfielder Ritchie Kitoko. (The Times)

Meanwhile, Liverpool defender Andrea Dossena will not be joining Italian side Napoli as his agent has said "it was all a misunderstanding".(Daily Telegraph)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What did peep think about Degan? I have to say I saw nothing to suggest he adds anything even as a freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He made one run in the 1st half which made me think "hey, he's got a bit of pace on him" but then he fell over and I didn't notice him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i honestly thought degen was a disaster. its a bad sign when you're shown up in matches like this. and i dont care if its the 1st pre-season game. Voronin was impressive. I can't see why he gets so much flak. he was doing well for us in his 1st season before he broke his leg. he looks confident after his season long loan in germany. can't wait to see johnson bombing down his own wing. insua was OK only for me. will be better with skertl or agger beside him. not much else to say, same old same from everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well I said it a couple of pages back, but Degen looked VERY mediocre. I know he's probably not fully fit, but still, didn't look confident on the ball, I winced everytime I saw someone run at him. I dunno, I reckon his injuries have ruined him. I doubt we'll see much of him this season - even if fit.

Insua - I was very impressed with, I have to say, likewise with Voronin - extremely confident, great vision, worked hard, trcked back, passed excellently, didn't put a foot wrong IMO.

Johnson - not going to add to what anyone else has said, was excellent.

Plessis - would have liked to see more of him, still not quite up to standard, but had a decent game.

Kelly - was assured, confident, but will have to watch those tackles in the EPL/Europe (though in fairness, I thought his tackling was great, just the referees don't allow you to tackle hard anymore).

Pacheco - I thought was excellent. Obviously trying to get his name on the score sheet, which led to a few bad decisions in front of goal, but I'll ecuse him that in a pre-season friendly. Definitely one to watch, and only 18. Movement and control were excellent.

Ngog - looked strong, but still not up to par - I'd rather give Pacheco a run out ahead of him.

Kuyt - didn't look like there was a couple months without a match. Played just like he always does.

Nemeth - Was ok. Looked a bit out of his depth.

Spearing - excellent. On that performance, I'd play him in the first team as a substitute no problem. Assured on the ball, strong for a lad of his size, good vision, quality passing. He's just about ready.

San Jose - looked way out of his depth. I've thought this when even looking at him playing for the reserves /U18's. Needs a lot of work.

Babel - meh. Typical Babel of last season - tried to run with the ball too much, and lost it too often.

Darby - looked ok. Can imagine he'll feature from the bench a bit this season.

Ayala - stil out of his depth. Him and San Jose are on a par, though Darby was slightly more impressive.

All in all, it was an enjoyable match to look at, and it was great to feel pleased by some of the young lads performances, finally looks like our youth system is beginning to bear fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »
    What did peep think about Degan? I have to say I saw nothing to suggest he adds anything even as a freebie.

He was meh. He at least looked like he wanted to run with the ball and take players on. Whether he has the ability to do it in the PL is another question. The one game I’d seen him play for us was Spurs in the CC. He was shocking defensively in the first half but then before he got injured he was very threatening going forward.
    evil_seed wrote: »
    i honestly thought degen was a disaster. its a bad sign when you're shown up in matches like this. and i dont care if its the 1st pre-season game. Voronin was impressive. I can't see why he gets so much flak. he was doing well for us in his 1st season before he broke his leg. he looks confident after his season long loan in germany. can't wait to see johnson bombing down his own wing. insua was OK only for me. will be better with skertl or agger beside him. not much else to say, same old same from everyone else

Very harsh. He wasn’t shown up any more than the rest of the defense who all looked very shaky. To be honest the whole team apart from Voronin looked shaky in the first half. Then Plessis and Lucas came on and calmed things down in midfield (no, I’m not joking).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Then Plessis and Lucas came on and calmed things down in midfield (no, I’m not joking).

I've a funny feeling we're gonna be seeing alot of those 2 boys in the coming season

Anyone else get the new away jersey?

I picked it up during the week, fooking lovely it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm noticing that a lot of boards.ie users, presumably United supporters, now have little pics of Michael Owen in their sigs. Is this to try and taunt Liverpool supporters or something? Does anyone here feel taunted? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

spockety wrote: »
    I'm noticing that a lot of boards.ie users, presumably United supporters, now have little pics of Michael Owen in their sigs. Is this to try and taunt Liverpool supporters or something? Does anyone here feel taunted? :confused:
    I'd much rather see Micky there than Ronaldo, Ribery or Benzema.

whats the opposite of taunted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I'm talking to a psychologist about it...........its tough but i'm making progress:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

PiE wrote: »
    I'd much rather see Micky there than Ronaldo, Ribery or Benzema.
    But only one of them are Utd players!

I don't mind them tbh, probably a case of one does it they all do it.

No big deal, let them have their fun, and lets see how long they last when he gets crooked or misses some game winning sitters ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Well I said it a couple of pages back, but Degen looked VERY mediocre. I know he's probably not fully fit, but still, didn't look confident on the ball, I winced everytime I saw someone run at him. I dunno, I reckon his injuries have ruined him. I doubt we'll see much of him this season - even if fit.

Well he is an international from a decent country so i doubt he is "VERY mediocre"

Some guys are VERY Rusty for first couple of weeks of preseason

If he's not good enough, he wont play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Method to Rafa'a madness - why he's been using Johnson on the left
    Rafa wrote:
    Johnson did well, I was using him on the left because he has to think more about his defending there.

We know that he is really good going forward and in this game he played well in defence and well in attack so it was good.

If he is playing left-back it means he cannot go in attack in the same way because he is not quite as comfortable with his left foot as he is with his right so this means he will think more about defending.

Small Club!
    Smaller Minds!

Most of them have a chip on their shoulder from before they were born:eek:

Freud would have a field day with yer average/a-typical ManU* fanboy:p

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »

as long as the madness ends sometime soon, I’m absolutely fine with that.

elshambo wrote: »
    Well he is an international from a decent country so i doubt he is "VERY mediocre"

Some guys are VERY Rusty for first couple of weeks of preseason

If he's not good enough, he wont play

So you didn't see the match then?? Liam O'Brien is an International from a decent country too.....

And I stated myself that I don't see him playing much this year - especially not ahead of Insua & Johnson.

So you didn't see the match then?? Liam O'Brien is an International from a decent country too.....

And I stated myself that I don't see him playing much this year - especially not ahead of Insua & Johnson.

Insua's a left back and he's a right back. If Arbeloa goes he'll probably be second choice.

Insua's a left back and he's a right back. If Arbeloa goes he'll probably be second choice.

I'm well aware of that - my reasoning was that if Insua is injured, Johnson might slot over there, and then Degen might get a game - maybe. Even then we have Aurelio to cover on the left.

Its a pity, I think his injuries have really affected his level of play. Then again, maybe he needs a few matches - but I dont see him slotting into the first team at anything higher than last resort sub.

Hopefully he plays a lot with the reserves this season, get his strength & reactions back up to scratch.

No i watched it, not sure why

Ya he was poor
    he looks like one of those lads who seezes up during off season
    +history of injuries

Its a pre season friendly
    Wouldnt worry bout it

elshambo wrote: »
    No i watched it, not sure why

Ya he was poor
    he looks like one of those lads who seezes up during off season
    +history of injuries

Its a pre season friendly
    Wouldnt worry bout it

Hence my comments above. I'd be disappointed at such a prospect going downhill due to injuries.

Don't know whether this has been posted yet today, but more news on Aquilani:
    Reports in Italy claim Liverpool have sent a delegation to Roma to discuss a possible deal for Alberto Aquilani. The Reds are willing to offer in the region of £15million for the midfielder, who would be handed a five-year contract.
    SSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Hopefully this will put an end to their interest in Mascherano

Barca keen on Poulsen

Barcelona have made tentative enquiries regarding the availability of Juventus midfielder Christian Poulsen.

The Denmark international is widely tipped to be on his way out of Stadio Olimpico this summer, having slipped down the pecking order at the Turin giants.

The recent arrivals of Brazilian duo Diego and Felipe Melo have only served to cast further doubt on his future and a move to pastures new is expected to materialise sooner rather than later.

Spanish giants Barcelona are among the first to express an interest, keen to take Poulsen, who enjoyed a productive spell at Sevilla prior to his 2008 switch to Juve, back to the Primera Liga.

Contact has been made between the Catalan club and Juve, with Poulsen's agent confirming talks have been held.

"There has been a request from a Spanish agent relating to Barcelona," Jorn Bonnesen told bold.dk.

"He asked whether Christian would be interested in joining Barcelona.

"You never know what will happen, but Juventus' sporting director (Alessio Seccio) has also admitted to being in contact with Barca."

Options

For now Bonnesen is reluctant to speculate on a situation which could yet come to nothing, insisting Poulsen is happy at Juventus and has given no indication that he is actively looking to secure a move elsewhere.

"Our belief for now is that Christian will not be going anywhere," he added.

"It is only if something very attractive comes up that we might consider our options. Barcelona would obviously be very attractive, but we have nothing to deal with as yet.

"At the moment, Christian is 100 per cent focused on Juventus.

"He is good enough to play and it is now up to him to decide whether he wants to stay and fight for a place.

"He is a confident player. He also has three years left on his contract at Juventus so he is in no rush."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5436039,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

zing wrote: »

Could also to do with each player only playing one half.. As there was only 1 left back available and 3 right backs, one of the right backs would have had to take the hit and play in left back.

And the panto starts:
    Alberto Aquilani's agent has rubbished reports that Liverpool are weighing up a bid for the Roma midfielder.
    SSN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hence my comments above. I'd be disappointed at such a prospect going downhill due to injuries.

Don't know whether this has been posted yet today, but more news on Aquilani:

SSN

Aquilani would be a super replacement for Xabi Alonso if his deal goes through. Making £15 million on top of that is even better.

slingerz wrote: »
    Aquilani would be a super replacement for Xabi Alonso if his deal goes through. Making £15 million on top of that is even better.

Yeah, I originally picked up this story earlier on in the week. I would like to see him come to Anfield, would be a great addition to the squad.

• Advertisement

I'd sign him for his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On the Degen thing - I wasn't impressed by him last night but it was only 45 mins as part of an unsettled defence in the first pre-season. While he did look zippy getting forward, I would have worries about him defensively. A couple of times he was physically overmatched in the tackle.

As against that I felt both himself and Insua in the first half didnt get much protection from the players in front of him in defensive terms - El Zhar doesnt offer a massive amount of defensive protection (although he did make a couple of nice tackles) when compared to Kuyt and on the left it seemed as if Voronin, Babel and Nemeth all took turns between playing up front and rotating to right-wing, which resulted in Insua being left exposed a couple of times. It seemed that a lot of the St Gallen play went down their right as opposed to the left but overall thought Insua did ok. Overall though it's hard to judge fingers crossed Degen does better but at the moment I would have Darby ahead of Degen in the pecking order and given Madrid's pitiful offer I would hang on to Arbeloa for a year even if we do lose him on a free in a year given he only cost £2.6m Fingers crossed Degen and Darby will improve as pre-season goes on.

Also Rafa had a quick pop to Hungary to check out the MTK set-up

Positive chat about Nemeth and Gulacsi but kinda strange comment about the age of keepers as Gulacsi is only 19 (although he looks much older)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165068090716-1510.htm
    RAFA PRAISE FOR HUNGARIAN DUO
    Paul Hassall 16 July 2009

Rafael Benitez today hailed the first-team prospects of both Krisztian Nemeth and Peter Gulacsi following a flying visit to the Sándor Károly Football Academy in Hungary.

The boss took time out from his pre-season preparations in Switzerland to drop in on an under-16 training session at the Agard-based youth set-up of the Reds' Hungarian partners, MTK Hungaria.

Benitez was quick to admit he was hugely impressed by a set-up that has helped groom the Reds quartet of Nemeth, Gulacsi Andras Simon and Zsolt Poloskei.

"My colleagues reported that the people here are doing a first class job and I have wanted to see this academy for a long time," said Rafa.

"It's a well organised system with an excellent training staff - just as I expected."

Benitez fielded two graduates of the Academy in last night's goalless draw with St Gallen and revealed he was more than pleased with the pair's contribution.

"I think both of them showed quality and they have also shown their ability in training. They've got a lot of talent, they're working hard, and I'm satisfied with both of them.

"Our other Hungarians, Andras Simon and Zsolt Poloskei are also doing their job very well."

Asked if he felt Nemeth and Gulacsi had realistic first-team prospects, Benitez added: "Yes, of course. I think both of them have a real chance.

"Krisztian has great playing intelligence and is a very good goal-getter. He has improved physically but he must gain a little more experience, and, of course, he has to improve because the Premier League is a high level.

"Peter is still very young, and a goalkeeper that is 24-25 years of age is not an old player. He has got a lot of time.

"Naturally, we want to keep both of them because they could have a great future."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Positive chat about Nemeth and Gulacsi but kinda strange comment about the age of keepers as Gulacsi is only 19 (although he looks much older)

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165068090716-1510.htm
    I think mentioning the 24-25 thing for keepers was a hint to Gulacsi that he has a long wait ahead for 1st team football i.e. you're 19 now but don't worry too much about 1st team football for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

New signing.

article-0-05BA1CE5000005DC-476_468x667.jpg

article-0-05BA1CE1000005DC-858_468x655.jpg
    Title challenge this year? Yeah, they got a really good chance. It's a good team and they're playing well together - better than in a long time.

More than any position, I think goalies need to go on loan. You cannot rotate them, and because you need to CYA for injuries, you are likely to have 4 or 5. We have 8 at Melwood I believe - Reina, Cav, Itandje, Gulacsi, Martin, Hansen, Oldfield and Bouzenis.

I would think that Itandje will go, and Gulacsi and Martin need to get out on loan. Bouzenis should be first choice in reserves with Hansen pushing him, Dean also on the bench for cup games...

Jackson should be in the technical area every game, he'd just have to give the opposing manager the look, and that would be that.

Dickerty wrote: »
    More than any position, I think goalies need to go on loan. You cannot rotate them, and because you need to CYA for injuries, you are likely to have 4 or 5. We have 8 at Melwood I believe - Reina, Cav, Itandje, Gulacsi, Martin, Hansen, Oldfield and Bouzenis.

I would think that Itandje will go, and Gulacsi and Martin need to get out on loan. Bouzenis should be first choice in reserves with Hansen pushing him, Dean also on the bench for cup games...

Bouzanis agreed a loan deal with Wrexham at the start of the week - no details of the length but the only other keeper in the squad is another 18 year old - the plan seems to be for Bouzanis to do at least some training at Melwood but line out for Wrexham.

Tranmere don't have a keeper sorted yet; I think there might be a possibilty of Martin or maybe Gulacsi going on loan there.

Still have the fingers crossed on Itandje moving but there hasnt been any rumours in a while.
    John Barnes weighs up options as ex-Liverpool FC midfielder John Welsh signs in
    Jul 14 2009 by Nick Hilton, Liverpool Echo

Barnes weighs up his options
    TRANMERE followers have their first chance to take a look at how the team shapes up under new manager John Barnes tonight.

Rovers open the pre-season programme with friendlies against local amateur clubs Cammell Laird and Heswall, both kicking off at 7pm.

Barnes plans to split his squad of 16 professionals into two, with a balance of each side being made up of youth trainees and trialists.

Barnes said: “These matches are important because we have to start to get our method and system in place.

“I’m looking to see how the players adapt in the two games. We are splitting the squad up. At one point I was thinking about playing one team I consider to be the strongest we currently have available. But now we have more numbers on board, we can make a 50/50 split of the professionals.”

Latest signings Paul McLaren and John Welsh, midfielders who arrived either side of the weekend, will be in action and Barnes says there may be funds in the budget for one more permanent signing.

That may be a goalkeeper, as the position remains vacant following the summer departure of Danny Coyne and John Achterberg. Barnes reports that Patrick Lane, a goalkeeper from the USA, is to start a trial this week.

Barnes acknowledges the squad is currently weighed in favour of midfield and forward players. He says he is hopeful of signing defenders and a goalkeeper on loan arrangements.

The loan targets include Ryan Shotton, the young Stoke City defender who spent most of last season on loan at Prenton Park.

Barnes said: “The budget is running low and there is perhaps room for one more signing, if we can afford it. After that we are looking at loans.

“The goalkeeping position is a priority. We have one coming in from America, Patrick Lane. I know his father, Mike, who played in England 25 years ago.

“We have a keeper earmarked as a loan signing. The problem we have with all the potential loan signings is that the clubs we are talking to want to keep their players for the first two weeks of pre-season, before they decide whether they are going to release them.

“We would like those clubs to make a decision quickly but we realise that as we get closer to the start of the season, they may say no. That’s always a concern.

“We are trying to twist people’s arms. Ryan Shotton is one player we have targeted but (Stoke manager) Tony Pulis has asked us to wait for two weeks.

“While its looking hopeful and positive and all the right noises are being made, we have to wait and see how it goes. It’s frustrating but there’s nothing we can do about it.

“In the meantime the players here will have to be flexible and do a job out of their regular positions. That should not be a problem for them.”

Barnes says he may take a look at trialists George Abbey and Chris Riley in tonight’s games. Assistant manager Jason McAteer will be in charge of the team at Heswall with Barnes taking a look at the action at Cammell Laird.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/14/john-barnes-weighs-up-options-as-ex-liverpool-fc-midfielder-john-welsh-signs-in-100252-24148736/2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Aquilani not Liverpool-bound, says agent

PA

Thursday, 16 July 2009

The agent of Alberto Aquilani has brushed aside reports suggesting the Italy playmaker will leave Roma for Liverpool this summer.

Speculation in Italy claimed a delegation from the Barclays Premier League outfit had arrived in Rome to offer 16million euros for the player.

The highly-rated 25-year-old is considered a candidate to replace Xabi Alonso, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

But Aquilani's agent Franco Zabaglia told asromanews.it: "Alberto to Liverpool? Let's not say silly things.

"There's no point in even talking about this subject because there is no truth in this.

"The player recently extended his contract with Roma and is working towards recovering and giving his best to Roma."

Aquilani is under contract with the Eternal City outfit until June 2013.

A right ankle injury limited the player to just 14 league appearances for the Giallorossi last season.

After all the **** stirring that most agents do its reassuring to see this response. Perhaps he could pass his card onto Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Jackson should be in the technical area every game, he'd just have to give the opposing manager the look, and that would be that.

And can you imagine what Allardyce and Rudolf would have to say about that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Rafa shows some love for Voronin

Rafa Benitez has told striker Andriy Voronin that he will be given the chance to fight for his Liverpool future.

The 29-year-old Ukraine international moved to England two years ago but had a difficult start to life at Anfield, leading to a loan spell at Hertha Berlin last season.

However, he regained his form in the Bundesliga with 11 goals in 21 league games and, while it is believed that Benitez would still be willing to cash in on the player, he has vowed to give Voronin the chance to prove himself.

"He did really well in Germany last season, scoring plenty of goals, and he has told me that he wants to stay at the club and fight for his position," he said.

"I have told him that will be difficult with Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard as our first-choice strikers, but he realises this and the players we have in the squad.

"But he also knows that this club always plays more than 60 games a season and that means there are opportunities.

"He will fight for his place."

Intelligence

He added: "At this moment, he is a Liverpool player, but it depends on him.

"He is continuing to work hard and is playing well, so he will have a chance.

"It is good to have him back.

"When we signed him, we were looking for a player who could play between the lines as a second striker with quality.

"He has game intelligence, which is something we are always looking for."

Voronin featured for Liverpool in their pre-season friendly against St Gallen on Wednesday, which finished 0-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DeadSkin wrote: »

After watching the Reserves last night, I was starting to worry that Gerard might drop deep to replace Alonso and that Voronin would play behind Torres but this has put my mind at ease:
    I have told him that will be difficult with Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard as our first-choice strikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

it seems that rafa is gonna be using the phrase 'game intelligence' this year after years of the old favourite of 'he is a player with quality'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sounds like the situation is much the same for voro, i'm sure if a bid of a couple million came in he'd be encouraged to hit the road.

decent player to have in the squad, lets just hope we dont have to rely on him to lead the attack for any prolonged periods this season.

hard to imagine rafa hasnt got his eyes on another attacker coming in. keane hasnt been replaced and its a position we're a bit light in i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

"I just know you didn't put on an extra defender"

Ryan Flynn's loan move off to a flyer anyway - got the winner in Falkirk's Europa League tie. Fingers crossed he keeps up this level of performance.
    Ryan Flynn gives Falkirk winning debut in Europa League against FC Vaduz
    Falkirk 1 FC Vaduz 0

By Telegraph staff and agencies
    Published: 10:33PM BST 16 Jul 2009

Ryan Flynn's debut goal gave Falkirk victory in the first leg of their Europa League second qualifier against FC Vaduz.

New Bairns manager Eddie May's tenure began on a positive note as the home side celebrated the their first ever game in Europe with a win that just might be enough to see them through the second leg in Liechtenstein next Thursday.

After an unconvincing first half, winger Flynn, the former Falkirk academy player on a season-long loan from Liverpool, scored with a deflected drive five minutes after the interval.

It was a blow to the visitors who looked the more assured for long spells, but that will not bother May who got off to the best possible start after taking over from John Hughes earlier this summer.

Disappointingly, for such an historic occasion, there were only two stands open to house the crowd of 5,763 and the first half was rather subdued.

May gave debuts to summer signings Flynn, Brian McLean, Alex MacDonald and Marc Twaddle who was returning to the club for the second time.

However, there were long spells of tedium until the 29th minute when Vaduz midfielder Franz Burgmeier set up Kai Koitka with a clever reverse pass on the edge of the box, only to watch the German thrash the ball high over the bar.

Koitka was proving a handful down the Falkirk left but it was from a Michael Stegmayer corner moments later that he headed in to Robert Olejnik's arms from only six yards out after the Bairns keeper had flapped.

Vaduz, managed by former Germany international Pierre Littbarski, had the edge but it was certainly no European classic.

Two minutes from the interval the Liechtenstein side came close to getting the breakthrough when, from Stegmayer's long throw, striker Nick Proschwitz climbed high to head the ball inches past the far post.

Falkirk brought out a much-needed sense of purpose with them for the start of the second half, and in the 50th minute they took the lead when Vaduz failed to clear Scott Arfield's free-kick which was floated into the penalty area from 30 yards out.

The ball fell kindly to Flynn just inside the box and his quickly-dispatched drive took a deflection before it flew high past Vaduz keeper Peter Jehle.

The complexion of the game changed immediately and seconds later Arfield, buoyed and confident as he strode forward, sent a drive from 25 yards inches over the bar.

However, Vaduz upped the tempo and six minutes later, after an Olejnik error allowed Koitka to get in a header, Bairns' left back Tam Scobbie had to quickly clear the danger.

Moments later, captain Michael Stuckmann's drive from 20 yards was goal-bound until it struck Arfield and sped past the post, the home side surviving the corner.

Falkirk became increasingly nervous as Vaduz threatened to grab the away goal which would have turned the tie in their favour.

Vaduz threw on their three substitutes but aside from an injury-time drive from substitute Ando Farndic which went inches over the bar, they mainly huffed and puffed around the Falkirk box as the home side held on for the narrow win and vital clean sheet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/scottishpremier/falkirk/5845939/Ryan-Flynn-gives-Falkirk-winning-debut-in-Europa-League-against-FC-Vaduz.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Today's goss from the BBC:
    Real Madrid are confident that an improved bid of around £32m will be enough to prise Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso away from Liverpool. (Daily Mirror)

Blimey, £32m. I expect that would do it alright.

"Oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration???"

hehe

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

shotamoose wrote: »

Whether it would do it for Rafa or not I have no idea, but it would reluctantly do it for me.

:(

shotamoose wrote: »

Well thats a lot closer to what they should be offering. Still, 3m short of what I thought the minimum asking price should be.

Kuyt on Citeh:
    Striker Dirk Kuyt admits Manchester City's lavish summer spending has made Liverpool's players sit up and take notice, but the Dutchman remains confident the Premier League title could still be heading for Merseyside.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5437585,00.html
    Maybe they can come in the top four but we have to make sure we finish above them because we want to go one step higher after last season."

Sounds like he thinks they'll finish second to us this year lol

Oh, and new 16 y/o signing for us by the looks of things:
    Teenage Danish midfielder Nicolaj Kohlert is poised to join Liverpool from Esbjerg, according to the 16-year-old's agent.
    SSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

More from the BBC
    1136 BST: Coach Luciano Spalletti admits Roma would consider offers for playmaker Alberto Aquilani, a rumoured Liverpool target. (Press Association)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement