Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yes we should have a team of Lucas's because he's that good!

If someone doesnt agree with your opinion they're a bufoon! :D

no but someone who boos someone doing their best absolutely is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

thebhoy wrote: »
    i love the way one poster will come on here and disagree with everything else thats contradictory to their own point of view, without making a reasonable case of their own. :-D

remember when gerrard was 15, he was so sh1te, shoulda got rid of him then.

He wasnt playing for the first team when he was 15 though was he!

and Lucas is not 15.

I made reasonable points thanks.

This Fink Goodie character has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons.

People replying to the ridiculous posts is only encouraging more nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

know your enemy

Fink seems to belive the the tactic of carpet bombing too judging by his post history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Why wasnt Voronin sent off on loan if he's so good?

Talkin out of my sh1t pipe :D i love the way you people cant have a debate without getting all sensitive about it.

Wasn't getting sensitive at all, but you were/are indeed talking out of your proverbial.

Well? You still haven't come back with a decent rebuttal. I assume he was sent off on loan, to get regular first team football, and come back to fight for his place.

Well I'll be damned - isn't that what has happened??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Should have gone to specsavers!!!

Oh, i see what you did there, you debunked my statement by stating my eyesight was poor while also integrating a snippet of popular culture. You sir are a champ.

mike65 wrote: »
    know your enemy

Fink seems to belive the the tactic of carpet bombing too judging by his post history.

I said Lucas is a bad player, wasnt the first and definately wont be the last but ya cant have a debate about it without getting all annoyed.

So i'm the enemy because i have an opinion regarding a liverpool player.

Very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

link
    Is Lucas Leiva good enough for Liverpool?

Lucas Leiva; the youngest player ever to win the "Bola de Ouro" (the award for the best player in the Brazilian League) was labelled as a wonder kid by Rafa Benitez, but where does he fit into our team and more importantly : Is he good enough for Liverpool?

Most people (myself included) had not heard of Lucas before his signing was announced from Gremio; but after picking up the award for being the best player in the Brazilian League (previously awarded to the great Romario, World player of the year Kaka and Manchester United's Carlos Tevez) great things were expected of Lucas.

Described as a 'box to box' midfielder; his key attributes are supposed to be both defensive and attacking orientated - but where are these strengths? Today against Aston Villa i thought he looked totally out of his depth; i know most of the team didn't play well but Lucas didn't seem to get a grip on the game at all.

I would love to see him succeed at Anfield, after all we managed to secure his transfer against the likes of Inter Milan and Arsenal; but i dont think we have seen anything other than a glimpse of what he can do? Remember when he was brought on against Everton for Steven Gerrard? everyone was thinking 'What the hell is going on here?' (or something a bit more obscene) yet it was his shot that Neville saved on the line with his hands that got us the penalty.

At the same time; i think he has had more bad games than good. I cannot think of a game where afterwards i have thought "Lucas controlled the midfield" or "kept so and so in his pocket" like Mascherano does week in week out; but he was in the Brazilian squad for the Olympics in Beijing this summer - so there must be something good about him.

OMG Fink Goodie, this is what a structured argument for a debate should be, bit more expansive don't ya think.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Oh, i see what you did there, you debunked my statement by stating my eyesight was poor while also integrating a snippet of popular culture. You madam are a champ.

Apologies (for Mike65's benefit-you know what I'm talking about!), but FYP

:p

Apologies (for Mike65's benefit-you know what I'm talking about!), but FYP.

:p

FYP, no full stop ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Guys, if you have a problem with a poster, ignore him/her and report the posts. If you attack them on thread or belittle their posts without engaging, you'll be the one getting infracted.

/moderation

Wasn't getting sensitive at all, but you were/are indeed talking out of your proverbial.

Well? You still haven't come back with a decent rebuttal. I assume he was sent off on loan, to get regular first team football, and come back to fight for his place.

Well I'll be damned - isn't that what has happened??

I'm sure United are shaking in their boots with the return of the wonderful Voronin.
    Just like i'm sure Torres is really worried about his place on the squad.

Dont make me laugh.

thebhoy wrote: »
    link

OMG Fink Goodie, this is what a structured argument for a debate should be, bit more expansive don't ya think.

Award or no award, he's done sh1t all so far.
    Does he get his place on the Brazil bench??

I'm sure United are shaking in their boots with the return of the wonderful Voronin.
    Just like i'm sure Torres is really worried about his place on the squad.

Dont make me laugh.

I stated to fight for his place. Which for him, would be second to Torres - not to take Torres' place.

Don't be so ridiculous in your argument, when you know exactly what I was stating.

And why refer only to United??

But anyway, I'm pretty sure Voronin has a better games/goals ratio than any of their strikers last season.

Thread has gone carcrash today :mad:

Time to gtfo of here.

Hopefully some proper chat about LFC will resume later

rarnes1 wrote: »

Time to gtfo of here.

Me too, I'm leaving the office now anyway lol :p

Award or no award, he's done sh1t all so far.
    Does he get his place on the Brazil bench??
    anderson doesn't make the brazil subs bench, but has played in two consecutive champions league finals, whats your point.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Time to gtfo of here.

Cya Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This is no debate - you've formed an opinion that you'll not budge on that Lucas is crap. I disagree, you've bored us into submission - in the words of a dragon - Im Out!

• Advertisement

I stated to fight for his place. Which for him, would be second to Torres - not to take Torres' place.

Don't be so ridiculous in your argument, when you know exactly what I was stating.

And why refer only to United??

But anyway, I'm pretty sure Voronin has a better games/goals ratio than any of their strikers last season.

The premier league is a bit different in fairness, lets see him score loads of goals next season, wont happen because he's not good enough.

This is no debate - you've formed an opinion that you'll not budge on that Lucas is crap. I disagree, you've bored us into submission - in the words of a dragon - Im Out!

There's plenty of other fans that will agree with me.
    You've formed an opinion that Lucas is not crap which you will not budge on, you can have a debate without people swapping sides of the argument.
    You could have started another topic but ya couldnt leave it.

If you all want something that everyone agrees on and noone will debate about, lets talk about how wonderful Gerrard is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If you all want something that everyone agrees on and noone will debate about, lets talk about how wonderful Gerrard is. :D

You are not having a debate, you stated that Lucas is sh't (I disagree and so do a lot of Liverpool supporters) and keep repeating it. That is not a debate, debates move forward, well they should.

There's plenty of other fans that will agree with me.
    You've formed an opinion that Lucas is not crap which you will not budge on, you can have a debate without people swapping sides of the argument.
    You could have started another topic but ya couldnt leave it.

im off too, this is mindmelting, please Fink Goodie, for your own sake, if you have an opinion and want to debate it, please give some reasons on why you hold such an opinion.

like i have mentioned already, was not a fan of lucas at all, but last season he put in a few immense performances and managed to show a lot of people what rafa must see week in week out in training. i would prefer to see lucas improve over time and learn from his mistakes, than say nani, who has gone backwards ever since he arrived at utd (for a lot more money too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I think I'll wade in here with my 2 cents.

At the moment Lucas is a squad player. Backup.

At times he's looked very average in the EPL, at other times he's looked decent -not outstanding, but good enough to do a job.

He's had his 'settling in' period to English football, remember what that used to be? Remember when you signed a foreign young player and they were allowed a year or 2 to settle into the new culture and difference in how football is played in England. Yes he was a good young player in Brazil, but he still needed time to learn his trade in England. Plus, he wasn't physically big enough to be affective in the league, and admitted as much himself. In an interview I read, he spoke about having to work with the nutritionists / fitness coaches at Melwood to fill out physically. He's a lot more muscle on him now than when he arrived.

The lad signed less than 2 years ago, and is now only 22 years of age. To be pillaried because he's not up the standard of a Xabi Alonso is a joke. How many players have the passing ability, ball retention, and football brain playing centre mid in the EPL? Not too many at all.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lucas', I think he needs to keep working, but for LFC I think it's essential to have players 'of quality' in the squad, and he's certainly in that bracket.

Now... Voronin

I think the reason he's back is unfortunately a permanent contract couldn't be agreed in Germany. But again, as a squad player, I think he's very useful. He's definitely got a good football brain, but sometimes he just seems to go in and out of games. I've seen him put in some spectacular displays, but also be almost anonymous in games.

In terms of the squad though, I think he's good to have. As a 4th choice striker. Who have Man U got as 4th choice? Macheda? Wellbeck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Grand so Lucas is sh*te or maybe not.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, anybody else notice the speculation over Masch seems to have stopped the last week or so?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

joker77 wrote: »
    Macheda? Wellbeck?

Macheda is certainly looking like a great 4th striker back up, i'd rather him than Voronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

know your enemy

Thanks for that link! It looks like it's not just the Liverpool forum then. I've put Fink Goddie on my ignore list simply because I can't 'handle' a debate. First person to go on my ignore list actually. Always thought it'd be boggles but boggles can be entertaining at times.:)

Macheda is certainly looking like a great 4th striker back up, i'd rather him than Voronin.
    How much have you seen of him? Are you going on the sub appearance against Villa, and the couple of other games he played? Bit myopic don't you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

this thread makes my head hurt today!

anyway if yall change the topic maybe this "debate" will stop, here are two from off the top of my head

anyone actually think Alonso will be replaced by Aquilini? if the season started today do you think your squad could win the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

And you can see this from his 4 appearances last season?

How much have you seen of him? Are you going on the sub appearance against Villa, and the couple of other games he played? Bit myopic don't you think?

Yeh havent seen that much of him but what i have seen of him has been good. seen a lot of Voronin and havent been that impressed, so i'd take the chance on Macheda if i had the choice.

Thanks for that link! It looks like it's not just the Liverpool forum then. I've put Fink Goddie on my ignore list simply because I can't 'handle' a debate. First person to go on my ignore list actually. Always thought it'd be boggles but boggles can be entertaining at times.:)

That hurt to the core. Big tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Fromvert wrote: »
    And you can see this from his 4 appearances last season?
    The next Neil Mellor maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Lucas and Voronin crAp?

Two recognised internationals for Brazil and Ukraine respectively.

Decent backup and to compare them to Alonso and Torres is irrespective of their own qualities.

It's impossible and unreasonable to compare them to their counterparts simply because they are completely different style of players.

Torres and Alonso are both from La Liga, a technically recognised league.

Voronin came from the Bundesliga where there is very little emphasis on speed and more on strength, where he excelled.

Lucas hailed from the Brazilian league where it too is technical.

Both of these players are having to adapt their strengths and weaknesses to the rigors of the Premier League where their is an emphasis on speed and strength and for some it comes easier than others.

How many people called Forlan crAp when he turned out for United? Now look at him, he has excelled in La Liga and has teams like Barça and Inter looking at him. A complete transition.

Give players time and they come good.

All Lucas needs is a little confidence and he will show what he is made of because he is a very talented player and if you disagree i suggest you get off your sofa and watch an entire match instead of highlights.

Yeh havent seen that much of him but what i have seen of him has been good. seen a lot of Voronin and havent been that impressed, so i'd take the chance on Macheda if i had the choice.
    That's the thing though, I don't think it was a choice with Voronin. Benitez would have been happy to let him go if a contract was agreed, but it wasn't.

But that's not the end of the world, as I say, he's a good squad player. Torres was injured for a lot of last season, and with no Keane from Christmas on, we could have done with Voronin to come in and try to impress. It was a fatal flaw from Benitez last season to sell Keane and not replace him with a striker. Easy with hindsight I know...

That's the thing though, I don't think it was a choice with Voronin. Benitez would have been happy to let him go if a contract was agreed, but it wasn't.

But that's not the end of the world, as I say, he's a good squad player. Torres was injured for a lot of last season, and with no Keane from Christmas on, we could have done with Voronin to come in and try to impress. It was a fatal flaw from Benitez last season to sell Keane and not replace him with a striker. Easy with hindsight I know...

i dont think we particularly missed Keane tbh. It could hav proved to be a fatal flaw, but as it turned out, Yossi who was the man to largely replace him in the team went on a scoring rampage.

More from the twitter lads;
    Apologies again for the lack of updates. There are a few interesting things going on but we dont like to post speculation.

...we may have something a little more concrete this evening, as well as a few answers for those who have been asking about our identity.

As stated earlier, Aquilani is nothing but speculation. He is not even on the radar.

When a manager Publicly "bigs-up" a player it can be for a number of reasons. Publicly Rafa wants to Keep Alonso for instance

For the first time today we've had a senior member of staff aknowledge the existence of Livertweet. Very interesting next couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

More from the twitter lads;

Apologies again for the lack of updates. There are a few interesting things going on but we dont like to post speculation.

...we may have something a little more concrete this evening, as well as a few answers for those who have been asking about our identity.

As stated earlier, Aquilani is nothing but speculation. He is not even on the radar.

When a manager Publicly "bigs-up" a player it can be for a number of reasons. Publicly Rafa wants to Keep Alonso for instance

For the first time today we've had a senior member of staff aknowledge the existence of Livertweet. Very interesting next couple of hours.

Hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

i dont think we particularly missed Keane tbh. It could hav proved to be a fatal flaw, but as it turned out, Yossi who was the man to largely replace him in the team went on a scoring rampage.

Agree about Yossi. If anything, Keane stopped the flow of play.

He really did not fit into the team at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There are a few interesting things going on but we dont like to post speculation.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Can you not handle a debate?

When you start one let us all know.

When you start one let us all know.

shhhh we'd just started moving on!

ahem, apparantly the Metro (so unsourceworthy im not even going to put in a link) think we might be going for Young. Id take that in a second as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

aaronh007 wrote: »
    if you disagree i suggest you get off your sofa and watch an entire match instead of highlights.

Watch an entire match standing up? Fook That! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

shhhh we'd just started moving on!

ahem, apparantly the Metro (so unsourceworthy im not even going to put in a link) think we might be going for Young. Id take that in a second as well.

After the Barry fiasco, O'Neill and Villa would really make it as difficult as possible. Would defo prefer 25m spent on him than Silva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lauro on Today Fm chatting away, reckons Alonso is gone (no shock there) and that Villa will be joining. Hmmmm, he talks nonsense at times but...

O Neill sell us a player?? no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Lucas and Voronin crAp?

Two recognised internationals for Brazil and Ukraine respectively.

Decent backup and to compare them to Alonso and Torres is irrespective of their own qualities.

It's impossible and unreasonable to compare them to their counterparts simply because they are completely different style of players.

Torres and Alonso are both from La Liga, a technically recognised league.

Voronin came from the Bundesliga where there is very little emphasis on speed and more on strength, where he excelled.

Lucas hailed from the Brazilian league where it too is technical.

Both of these players are having to adapt their strengths and weaknesses to the rigors of the Premier League where their is an emphasis on speed and strength and for some it comes easier than others.

How many people called Forlan crAp when he turned out for United? Now look at him, he has excelled in La Liga and has teams like Barça and Inter looking at him. A complete transition.

Give players time and they come good.

All Lucas needs is a little confidence and he will show what he is made of because he is a very talented player and if you disagree i suggest you get off your sofa and watch an entire match instead of highlights.

Well said.
    Give players time especially the younger lads. Next season will be a big season for Lucas and i can see him making the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I was dissapointed that we let Keane go and didnt get in a replacement at the time however i think Rafa got it spot on in the end.

Voronin is a good backup striker and thats all we need up front IMO (especially with N'Gog Nemeth and Pacheco this season)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lauro on Today Fm chatting away, reckons Alonso is gone (no shock there) and that Villa will be joining. Hmmmm, he talks nonsense at times but...

Actually he normally is pretty much spot on when it comes to comings and goings at the club. He had Keane arriving and departing a few weeks before it was even online chatter, and he had the likes of Agger, Skrtel, and Masch well in advance too.

Hope he is wrong this time though. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement