Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Rafa Benitez:-

One player who will is unlikely to move to Merseyside next season is Valencia striker David Villa.

The 27-year-old has been strongly linked with a move away from Spain this summer but Benitez ruled out any approach for the Spanish international.

"We still have some time and we need to keep working on other names",

"David Villa, he is not our target," he stressed.

But Benitez hinted there could be more arrivals in the summer, following the £17m capture of full-back Glen Johnson from Portsmouth.

"We have already signed Johnson, an international for England," he said.

"He is a good signing and Andriy Voronin is coming back (from a loan spell with Hertha Berlin), he was one of the best players in the German league, so we have two good additions. You never know in football, we still have some time and we need to keep working on other names.

"We have fantastic players and hopefully we can keep the level of last year and see with one or two additions we could improve a little bit. At the moment we are very pleased."

link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

So what you're saying is that you came on and voiced your oppinion.
    Others disagreed with you, so that means that they're "ganging up" on you.

You're perfectly entitled to your oppinion, and anyone else is perfectly entitled to say that they disagree with you.
    If they then procedede to give evidence or reasons for their oppinion, you can't just accuse them of bullying and ganging up on you.
    If there happens to be 10 people disagreeing with you, doesn't mean that they're ganging up, it means that your beliefs aren't widely held.

)

Well you quoted ME and how many times did you say YOU, and YOU'RE opinion.
    You were addressing me!

I as talking about the boy crying wolf claims of ganging up and bullying in this thread that are sadly becoming a weekly occurance.

girl crying wolf

Guess the dream of signing Villa is over then.
    How great would that have been, him and Torres would have been unstoppable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Good point.
    Really came on last season.

I could also put the likes of Plessis/Spearing/Aurelio in for Liverpool of course, and I'm sure there are other Utd reserve players who can play in the middle.

Simply showing that Utd's third/fourth choice players are similar to Liverpool's.

Carrick - Hargreaves - Fletcher - Anderson - Prob strongest 4 next season.

Liverpool looks like having

Masch - Lucas - New Signing. - Gerrard at times.

United still have the stronger midfield IMO.

Scholes/Giggs/Gibson/Possebon/O'Shea/Ferdinand > Spearing/Plessis/Aurelio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

City will be interesting this season. A mate at work (who supports them) is practically wetting his pants every two minutes. It seems like Hughes wants mostly experienced premiership players which is a wise choice if he wants to make a dent in the big four, which is possible if they keep spending money like this. Anything is possible in football!

Not to consider them some sort of threat, even before the transfer window is finished in silly. Don't count your chickens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boggles wrote: »

Stronger in numbers maybe, but Mascherano and Alonso or Alonso's replacement is highly likely to be the stronger duo.

Still? Stronger? was that the midfield that forgot to show up against liverpool at all last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hargreaves playing any sort of decent part of next season is about as likely as Alonso staying so...

Alonso/Mascherano/Lucas/Gerrard >>>>>>>>> Carrick/Anderson/Hargreaves/Fletcher ;)

City will be interesting this season. A mate at work (who supports them) is practically wetting his pants every two minutes. It seems like Hughes wants mostly experienced premiership players which is a wise choice if he wants to make a dent in the big four, which is possible if they keep spending money like this. Anything is possible in football!

Not to consider them some sort of threat, even before the transfer window is finished in silly. Don't count your chickens...

I agree, i personally think they'll be in the top four this season at the expense of Arsenal probably.

• Advertisement

Stronger in numbers maybe, but Mascherano and Alonso or Alonso's replacement is highly likely to be the stronger duo.

The duo of Scholes and Carrick have dominated the premeir league for 3 years now.

Will Alonso's replacement be better than Feltcher/Hargreaves/Anderson.

Certainly not who ye have been linked with already.
    thebhoy wrote: »
    Still? Stronger? was that the midfield that forgot to show up against liverpool at all last year?

:rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hargreaves playing any sort of decent part of next season is about as likely as Alonso staying so...

:confused:

Hargeaves back in late September.

Alonso gone tommorow???

:confused:

Boggles, you realise that because Utd win the league doesn't mean they are the best in every position on the pitch, right?

Alonso gone tommorow???

gone to Thailand with the rest of the team. Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well you quoted ME and how many times did you say YOU, and YOU'RE opinion.
    You were addressing me!

Next time when you're editing someones message, to cut out the point that proves your point is wrong, make sure you don't miss a bit.

Boggles, you realise that because Utd win the league doesn't mean they are the best in every position on the pitch, right?

I do Al.

You do realise in Football central midfield is pretty important and you don't win 3 leagues in a row without having a pretty good one?

The duo of Scholes and Carrick have dominated the premeir league for 3 years now.

Will Alonso's replacement be better than Feltcher/Hargreaves/Anderson.

Certainly not who ye have been linked with already.

:rolleyes:

I really hope they’ll be better than Anderson. (not trying to start a fight United fans, I just really hope they are – I think Hargreaves and Fletcher are pretty good)
    But as Mascherano is in a different league to any United midfielders I’d still be confident we’d have the better midfield even if Alonso’s replacement was marginally worse than them. (which I don’t think they will be)

I really hope they’ll be better than Anderson. (not trying to start a fight United fans, I just really hope they are – I think Hargreaves and Fletcher are pretty good)
    But as Mascherano is in a different league to any United midfielders I’d still be confident we’d have the better midfield even if Alonso’s replacement was marginally worse than them. (which I don’t think they will be)

Masch is better than any United midfielder at what he does.

That does not make him the best central midfielder between the 2 sides though.

You do realise in Football central midfield is pretty important and you don't win 3 leagues in a row without having a pretty good one?

agreed-Utd have a pretty good central midfield.

but Liverpool & Chelseas central midfield has been stronger than Uniteds for the last 2 years.

• Advertisement

I do Al.

I actually think United proved that against crap teams that it’s all about Full-back, wings and strikers. Win enough of these games you’ll probably win the league. Thankfully, I think Liverpool have overtaken United in the wing and forward positions
    Against top sides the midfield matters and at times United came up short in these situations last season.

Masch is better than any United midfielder at what he does.

That does not make him the best central midfielder between the 2 sides though.

not automatically. But he is imo the best of either side.

agreed-Utd have a pretty good central midfield.

but Liverpool & Chelseas central midfield has been stronger than Uniteds for the last 2 years.

That stronger midfield Liverpool partnership was nearly down Alonso last season, put up for sale because he was muck more than good.
    I actually think United proved that against crap teams that it’s all about Full-back, wings and strikers. Win enough of these games you’ll probably win the league. Thankfully, I think Liverpool have overtaken United in the wing and forward positions
    Against top sides the midfield matters and at times United came up short in these situations last season.

The United against Crap teams myth, they did pretty well against top sides the past few years aswell.
    not automatically. But he is imo the best of either side.

He would be the most limited IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

what?

That stronger midfield Liverpool partnership was nearly down Alonso last season, put up for sale because he was muck more than good.

nearly down Alonso last season?! haha "nearly" but not down him.

Alonso was for sale for big money if we could get it, we couldn't & he wasn't sold. end of discussion.

Doesn't change the fact that the midfield was still better than Utds, quite comfortably.

And Alonso was for sale because he wasn't quite performing as he can, but what's important to remember is Alonso not performing at his best is still better than Carrick, Scholes, Anderson & Fletcher.

what?

Sorry I'll speak up.

The duo of Scholes and Carrick have dominated the premier league for 3 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They have? Tis news to me..

they really haven't Boggles.

nearly down Alonso last season?! haha "nearly" but not down him.

Alonso was for sale for big money if we could get it, we couldn't & he wasn't sold. end of discussion.

Why was he up for sale though?

Because Rafa felt if we could get 18m for him and get Barry, we would have a more consistant performer, who despite not being at Alonso's level when both are at their peak, over the course of a season the way Alonso was playing at that time, Barry would be more beneficial for the team & we'd make a profit on the deal.

when it turned out we wouldn't, the Alonso sale was scrapped & thankfully Alonso got to his best consistantly and was outstanding all last season.

Now we are in a position where the new father/husband may be interested in a move to Real Madrid & we'll get 35m odd for him. with that money Rafa would more than be able to make up for the loss the team would suffer due to the sale of Alonso.

If Real refuse to pay around that amount, well then we'll still have Alonso-who still has a good professional relationship with Rafa and 3 years left on his contract and is not the type of player to sulk, would be out to impress for the WC coming up next year, and to keep Real interested for next season. Win, Win really :D

Because Rafa felt if we could get 18m for him and get Barry, we would have a more consistant performer, who despite not being at Alonso's level when both are at their peak, over the course of a season the way Alonso was playing at that time, Barry would be more beneficial for the team & we'd make a profit on the deal.

when it turned out we wouldn't, the Alonso sale was scrapped & thankfully Alonso got to his best consistantly and was outstanding all last season.

Thats not quite what you said last year though Al.
    I love Alonso and will be sad to see him go, but Barry is a step up imo. Alonso is just potential that never quite totally fulfilled itself.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'll speak up.

The duo of Scholes and Carrick have dominated the premier league for 3 years now.

They have not, and you know it. They are two good players, but Ronaldo dominated the premier leauge for 3 years.
    Why was he up for sale though?

Was he? In the buy and sell? Nobody made an acceptable offer for him. Rafa valued him (every player has a price) at around 18m last season (probably fair based on his form at the time). Nobody came near this so he wasn't sold. It would be the same if someone bid 20m for Carrick and Fergie turned it down. I'd imagine there's a price he'd sell at, just not that. Doesn't mean he's necessarily for sale.
    He would be the most limited IMO.

That is a myth. There is nothing i want from Masch that he can't do. He's not in the team to score goals, no more than Skrtel is.

actually Boggles, thats exactly what i said last year :D that the last couple of years he always had the ability, but didn't deliver regularly enough. this year that changed.

What i meant clearly was that Barrys consistancy over a season would be a step up to the team despite not being as good alonso when both are at the peak of their playing ability.

so wat i said last year was exactly the same as wat i said a few minutes ago
    who despite not being at Alonso's level when both are at their peak, over the course of a season the way Alonso was playing at that time, Barry would be more beneficial for the team

at the time that was probably a fair comment actually. Alonso stepped it up big time though, nearly doubling his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Tried to give my opinion last week and just got ganged up on like Mickey did there.
    There's a group on this thread and they think whatever they say goes and thats it.

It's called being ANAL.

actually Boggles, thats exactly what i said last year :D

Barrys consistancy over a season would be a step up to the team despite not being as good alonso when both are at the peak of their playing ability.

But your point was that Liverpool have had one of the strongest midfield partnerships in the league the past 2 years, although you admitted that Alonso 12 months ago was just unfilled potential?

It's called being ANAL.

come off it. He wasn't ganged up on, just hit with reason and common sense which he couldn't handle. He prefers to deal in hyperbole and generalisations.

But your point was that Liverpool have had one of the strongest midfield partnerships in the league the past 2 years, although you admitted that Alonso 12 months ago was just unfilled potential?

did you miss my post where i said Alonso at less than 100% is still better than Carrick, Scholes, Anderson & Fletcher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Paul Scholes will be 35 a few months into next season.

Paul Scholes part of "the best CM partnership in the league" started 14 prem games last season.

Paul Scholes will start a lot less this season.

Paul Scholes was a great, great, player.

Paul Scholes is now a squad player.

It's called being ANAL.

LIVERPOOL related?

he was, but they were still a great partnership and Alonso still did a good job. Mascherano is like a midfielder and a half remember.

• Advertisement

did you miss my post where i said Alonso at less than 100% is still better than Carrick, Scholes, Anderson & Fletcher?

I didn't miss it, I just ignored it because it is nonsense.

ok, well how am i meant to converse with someone who is ignoring my points!? :rolleyes:

he was, but they were still a great partnership and Alonso still did a good job. Mascherano is like a midfielder and a half remember.

Depends which way you look at it.

Masch could also be described as half a midfielder.

It's just my opinion, I don't like limited players in the ilk of Masch in a team, it lacks trust of the overall team, especially the defense.
    ok, well how am i meant to converse with someone who is ignoring my points!? :rolleyes:

Post was ignored because it was nonsense Al.

I think you know that though.

Alonso this season wasn't as good as Carrick overall.

To suggest he was better than all 4 United midfielders the season before last is nonsense.

come off it. He wasn't ganged up on, just hit with reason and common sense which he couldn't handle. He prefers to deal in hyperbole and generalisations.

But the "reason" and "common sense" was an attempt to make him and me(elsewhere on this thread) sound/look like we don't know what we're talking about, and to attempt to make it look like he is the only Liverpool supporter on this thread with an opinion.

now that really is nonsense.

Depends which way you look at it.

Masch could also be described as half a midfielder.

It's just my opinion, I don't like limited players in the ilk of Masch in a team, it lacks trust of the overall team, especially the defense.

This is exactly what I was tryin to say about Alonso/Mascherano. Mascherano is a good, but very limited midfield player, whereas Alonso is a very good(imo brilliant)midfield player.

Mascherano is about as limited as Anderson.

Anderson has 1 assist and no goals in the league in the last 2 years.
    Mascherano has 2 assists and 1 goal in the same time.

I presume Anderson falls in the "limited players" catagory?

actually, on second thoughts, i doubt it :rolleyes:

But the "reason" and "common sense" was an attempt to make him and me(elsewhere on this thread) sound/look like we don't know what we're talking about, and to attempt to make it look like he is the only Liverpool supporter on this thread with an opinion.

she never once gave a reason for her point on lucas, when pressed she used the 'Ganging Up' tactic... nuff said, read the posts if ya want, think i asked for reasons on three seperate occasions and never got a response.

This is exactly what I was tryin to say about Alonso/Mascherano. Mascherano is a good, but very limited midfield player, whereas Alonso is a very good(imo brilliant)midfield player.

in your opinion he didn't qualify as a good buy from Rafa only 6 months ago.

• Advertisement

this is just lies. Alonso was one of the players unlucky not to get a PFA nomination. Carrick gets shown up against good teams, Alonso shines against good teams. They were poles apart this season, and imo in previous seasons they were close.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement