Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mr Alan must think he's the messiah of football? The guy comes on here with "stats" pouring out of his a** trying to get one up on everybody else in this thread.

Childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But the "reason" and "common sense" was an attempt to make him and me(elsewhere on this thread) sound/look like we don't know what we're talking about, and to attempt to make it look like he is the only Liverpool supporter on this thread with an opinion.

no one needs to do anything special to make it look like you don't know what you're talking about. your opinions do that all by themselves.

Kuyt should be loaned out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Do you think Benitez will favour Agger or Skrtel this season or is it impossible to tell due to Rafa the tinkerman's tactics?

Who do you think he will favour at the start of the season between the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Boggles wrote: »
    Depends which way you look at it.

Masch could also be described as half a midfielder.

It's just my opinion, I don't like limited players in the ilk of Masch in a team, it lacks trust of the overall team, especially the defense.

so players like gattuso, makelele, vieira et al are/were half midfielders if you mean they provide a link from defense to midfield on the ball, whilst also acting as a barrier between midfield and defense off it, then yes, they are half a midfielder and half a defender, i shall call them defensive midfielders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Do you think Benitez will favour Agger or Skrtel this season or is it impossible to tell due to Rafa the tinkerman's tactics?

Who do you think he will favour at the start of the season between the two?

seriously?

Carragher and Skrtel. It's up to Agger to get his place back.
    The "tinkerman" don't tinker with his defense.
    Or his central midfielders. Or his front two when fit. Or Kuyt.
    But by god will he rotate Riera and Benayoun. Like a madman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Mr Alan must think he's the messiah of football? The guy comes on here with "stats" pouring out of his a** trying to get one up on everybody else in this thread.

Childish.

Yeah, using facts to back up your argument as opposed to just making baseless statements.

So childish!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

seriously?

I am serious. He did quite a bit of tinkering between the two towards the end of last season. That's why I'm asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

thebhoy wrote: »
    so players like gattuso, makelele, vieira et al are/were half midfielders if you mean they provide a link from defense to midfield on the ball, whilst also acting as a barrier between midfield and defense off it, then yes, they are half a midfielder and half a defender, i shall call them defensive midfielders...

Dont throw Viera in with Mak and Gattuso, Viera was a compete CM. Not that Gattuso and Makele are/were not complete players but Viera in his prime was a cut above them.

seriously?

Left back the odd time too, crazy mad tinkerman.

Yeah, using facts to back up your argument as opposed to just making baseless statements.

So childish!:rolleyes:

Who said I was arguing? I was giving my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mickey, did you accuse me of being childish, and then in your very next post, imply that i am female, and that i am a troll?

:D delightful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I am serious. He did quite a bit of tinkering between the two towards the end of last season. That's why I'm asking.

It'll be Skrtel and Carragher, though many, myself included would like to see Agger displace Carra with good performances. Skrtel is hands down our best defender imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Mickey, did you accuse me of being childish, and then in your very next post, imply that i am female, and that i am a troll?

:D delightful

Maybe u are?? Are u in denial? I can't see thru my keyboard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just looking at this photo of Xabi in Thailand today [bottom of report] i could be wrong but he doesnt look happy.
    Gutted if he goes but if the rumours are true and his heart is not in it let him go.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165118090720-1706.htm

Dcully wrote: »
    Just looking at this photo of Xabi in Thailand today [bottom of report] i could be wrong but he doesnt look happy.
    Gutted if he goes but if the rumours are true and his heart is not in it let him go.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

By that logic Torres must be off as he is not smiling in his pic.

I would not try to read anything into pics like those where players are just off of a plane/coach and are being mobbed by fans.

The man with the biggest smile in the hotel today is Steve McMahon, the man whose Profitable Group has made this tour happen. "I'm so proud to see Liverpool FC in the Far East and to have been a part of making it happen is fantastic," he beamed. We'll hear more from Steve on the website tomorrow.

should he not be in the middle of trying to buy nufc?

Like i said guy i could be wrong, im looking at you Mental Mickey.
    Sensitive bunch in here i see :P

Like i said guy i could be wrong, im looking at you Mental Mickey.
    Sensitive bunch in here i see :P

How can u tell if someone's going to leave the club just by looking at a photo? That's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Alonso's a serious footballer, not a Beckham wannabe. He doesn't have to smile 24/7 like he's promoting something.

• Advertisement

Just seen Rafa on Sky Sports News and he refused to comment on Alonso's future. He also said that he doesn't want to buy David Villa...............hmmm..........interesting.

How can u tell if someone's going to leave the club just by looking at a photo? That's just stupid.

Where did i say he was going to leave based on a photo?
    It was just an observation FFS no need to bite my head off

There was i thinking this was a lighthearted discussion, obviously i was wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

thebhoy wrote: »
    Rafa wrote:
    Rafa Benitez:-

One player who will is unlikely to move to Merseyside next season is Valencia striker David Villa.

The 27-year-old has been strongly linked with a move away from Spain this summer but Benitez ruled out any approach for the Spanish international.

"We still have some time and we need to keep working on other names",

"David Villa, he is not our target," he stressed.

But Benitez hinted there could be more arrivals in the summer, following the £17m capture of full-back Glen Johnson from Portsmouth.

"We have already signed Johnson, an international for England," he said.

"He is a good signing and Andriy Voronin is coming back (from a loan spell with Hertha Berlin), he was one of the best players in the German league, so we have two good additions. You never know in football, we still have some time and we need to keep working on other names.

"We have fantastic players and hopefully we can keep the level of last year and see with one or two additions we could improve a little bit. At the moment we are very pleased."

That sounds more positive on the Alonso situation. I don't think Rafa will sell him unless he gets his valuation or near enough. Both him and Alonso are professional enough to just get on with things and see what happens.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    That sounds more positive on the Alonso situation. I don't think Rafa will sell him unless he gets his valuation or near enough. Both him and Alonso are professional enough to just get on with things and see what happens.

Yup. This is the silly season of speculation. It happens every year cos the press/media have nothing else to talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Talking up Voronin = meh. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OK Guys, time for some perspective here.

This is for discussing Liverpool as in the club and the players. It's not a Liverpool appreciation thread and it's not a place where everything has to be in line with a certain opinion.

That said, making pointless comments that are designed to inflame will not be tolerated from here on in and Liverpool fans? toughen the F**k up! Seriously, take some criticism, or ignore it or argue it calmly. You're helping noone by responding with childish tirades.

In fact, for the forseeable future, I am personally moderating this thread and I will be absolutely ruthless if the last 20 pages of crap continues, I don't care how many feedback threads are generated.

Consider this an official zero tolerance warning.

with sparkles,

GuanYin
    Your friendly neighborhood soccer moderator.

joe123 wrote: »
    Talking up Voronin = meh. :cool:

I think Voronin will be sold at the end of the season.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think Voronin will be sold at the end of the season.....?

Very likely. We have been trying to sell him for the past year.

Very likely. We have been trying to sell him for the past year.

Nobody wants the guy!! LOL

• Advertisement

I see the odds on Alonso staying have been cut from 4/1 to evens on betfair.

Still 1/3 (from 1/4) to go though :(

Don't sell him Rafa!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Voronin does not deserve to wear the liverpool shirt, end of story. Benitez would sell him for a new team bus at this point. Obviously, hes going to be diplomatic in his appraisal of him. Voronin is approaching 30, there is no future for him at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

daithijjj wrote: »
    Voronin does not deserve to wear the liverpool shirt, end of story. Benitez would sell him for a new team bus at this point. Obviously, hes going to be diplomatic in his appraisal of him. Voronin is approaching 30, there is no future for him at the club.

Would you prefer say 1-2 million for him now or have him as a backup for a year? What else can be done with that small amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Remind you of anybody
    http://www.craphound.com/images/xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

If we got an offer of around 5m, Voronin will be gone. Otherwise he will be kept as a squad player. That is the reason Rafa will talk him up.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Remind you of anybody
    http://www.craphound.com/images/xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

If we got an offer of around 5m, Voronin will be gone. Otherwise he will be kept as a squad player. That is the reason Rafa will talk him up.

Is he even worth that much?? I would've thought 2m max??

• Advertisement

Is he even worth that much?? I would've thought 2m max??

Hertha Berlin were apparently willing to offer 4 or 5 million for him if they qualified for the CL but they just missed out and subsequently couldn't afford him.

Hertha Berlin were apparently willing to offer 4 or 5 million for him if they qualified for the CL but they just missed out and subsequently couldn't afford him.

That's nuts! That's waaaaaay over-priced imo.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Would you prefer say 1-2 million for him now or have him as a backup for a year? What else can be done with that small amount?

I would let go for much less than 2mil (+wages saved). And if we did need a striker during the season i would give nemeth/babel a chance.

Edit, and im not knocking your point. I used the same point regarding steve finnan last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Voronin went away and played in Germany and scored 11 league goals and we cant find a buyer for him .Why the fcuk we would sell him for 1m if he scores us 5 goals or more this seaosn coming off the bench or in smaller games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The talk was of a deal with Hertha which was dependent on them qualifying for CL football.

The deal was for €13m in total (the deal was €3m a year for 3 years and €4m to Liverpool) Hertha definitely wanted to keep him but they couldnt afford him when they didn't qualify for the CL.

Given he arrived on a free selling him for a profit of €4m would have been a massive result in my eyes.

The main thing I'm concerned about is that having him in the squad might reduce opportunites for N'Gog or possibly even Nemeth or Pachecho (in Carling Cup games/dead rubbers in Europe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Voronin will be on fairly healthy wages due to being a free.

astrofool wrote: »

How healthy?

That's nuts! That's waaaaaay over-priced imo.

I don't particularly rate him either to be honest but you are overstating things. He is an average/ok player. He doesn't deserve to be singled out for praise but he doesn't deserve to be ridiculed the way he is.

In this first season with Liverpool (07/08) he played a total of 1121 minutes of league football and scored 5 goals and had 2 assists. 1121 minutes is a total of 12.5 full games.

Last season, he played a total 2180 minutes of league football for Hertha Berlin and scored 11 goals and had 3 assists. 2080 minutes is a total of 23 full games.

The season before he joined Liverpool, he scored 10 goals and had 6 assists in 30 games for Bayer Leverkusen .

Again, I don't particularly rate him but he is getting far too much flak. His record is actually a lot better than would have given him credit for.

astrofool wrote: »
    How healthy?

That he would. Would assume he is on the guts of 50 or 60k a week.

I don't particularly rate him either to be honest but you are overstating things. He is an average/ok player. He doesn't deserve to be singled out for praise but he doesn't deserve to be ridiculed the way he is.

In this first season with Liverpool (07/08) he played a total of 1121 minutes of league football and scored 5 goals and had 2 assists. 1121 minutes is a total of 12.5 full games.

Last season, he played a total 2180 minutes of league football for Hertha Berlin and scored 11 goals and had 3 assists. 2080 minutes is a total of 23 full games.

The season before he joined Liverpool, he scored 10 goals and had 6 assists in 30 games for Bayer Leverkusen .

Again, I don't particularly rate him but he is getting far too much flak. His record is actually a lot better than would have given him credit for.

Still wouldn't want him in a Pool shirt. The very thought makes me shudder.

raven136 wrote: »
    Voronin went away and played in Germany and scored 11 league goals and we cant find a buyer for him .Why the fcuk we would sell him for 1m if he scores us 5 goals or more this seaosn coming off the bench or in smaller games.

Why would we not sell him???......the 5 goals you suggest he might score could easily be scored by babel or nemeth, players who need the game time and might actually have a future at the club. And the wages hes on could be saved considering we are penny pinching at this moment in time.

Still wouldn't want him in a Pool shirt. The very thought makes me shudder.

Again, somewhat over the top response. I would prefer to have gotten the 4m for him but he can and will do a job for us at various stages next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Why would we not sell him???......the 5 goals you suggest he might score could easily be scored by babel or nemeth, players who need the game time and might actually have a future at the club. And the wages hes on could be saved considering we are penny pinching at this moment in time.

Babel?Nemeth? i have great hope for one of those players but even in this seasons preseason Nemeth is looking to lightweight and being pushed off the ball too easily.Pacheao is looking far more promising.

My attitude is why sell an international player who scored 11 league goals last season for a pittince if we could otherwise keep him.He may be a tool and may not ever be a torres but he could do a job in the odd game.

Neither Nemeth or Babel have shown they will ever be better and for the 1m we get or him who do you propose we sign to fill squad numbers or do we hope Babel stops rapping long enough to get his finger out?

He played for leverkusen in the uefa cup that season and was largely playing against dross. The german league is the worst its been in 50 years.

And his season with us is comparable to babels last season, and theres plenty who want rid of babel.

He played for leverkusen in the uefa cup that season and was largely playing against dross. The german league is the worst its been in 50 years.

And his season with us is comparable to babels last season, and theres plenty who want rid of babel.

The stats that I posted were restricted to league performances..

Yes, there are people who think Babel should be sold. There isn't anyone who is saying that it is a disgrace seeing Babel in a Liverpool shirt though. Saying that you would prefer Voronin to move on is perfectly reasonable. Anything else is over the top.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement