Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

A draw with Thailand? Nice:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So if Arsenal or Lyon qualify for the group stages (a near certainty for at least one of them), then Inter will join Real Madrid as a second seed, and Juventus could possibly drop into the group of 3rd seeds, although unlikely.

Could be some interesting draws thrown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Some random bits and pieces
    Liverpool have signed Borussia Dortmund’s Stephen Sama on a two-year deal.

The Reds moved to land Sama before the German club could secure the 16-year-old on a professional deal. The highly-rated defender is a regular in Germany’s Under-17 side.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/22/liverpool-chase-roma-midfielder-alberto-aquilani-115875-21538214/

Also Nikolaj Kohlert, is apparently completing a medical today according to Danish media.

Probably be a bit before there is offical confirmation on these two who will both be heading to the Academy.

Also the reserve team apparently drew 3-3 with Blackpool behind a close doors friendly last night. Not a bad result against a Championship side.

The U-18 won their first game of the season 5-2 against Wrexham.

I bet you a million quaid, Real land in uniteds group. Hopefully...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis a bit much when Arsenal have a rating of 106 and have to qualify while some no name
    sides go straight in. ;)

Just watched some of the Thai game, shocking conditions with rubbish pitch and lousy weather. I really don't see any point (apart from corporate) to these jaunts. None of the kids caught the eye going forwards and a few knocks picked up.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Just watched some of the Thai game, shocking conditions with rubbish pitch and lousy weather. I really don't see any point (apart from corporate) to these jaunts. None of the kids caught the eye going forwards and a few knocks picked up.

I think it's all about fitness at the moment combined with getting the rustiness out of the system. The quality of the opposition doesn't really matter hugely at this stage apart from getting a decent workout.
    May as well go to Asia and sell some shirts - was apparently soomething like70,000 at the match today. We'll get a better idea of how things are fixed in 2-3 weeks when we are playing decent opposition and the whole team isnt being switched around at half time.

Goals below

http://lfcglobe.com/thailand-1-1-liverpool-video-highlights/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

21 FC Rubin Kazan (RUS) 9.525
    22 AFC Unirea Urziceni (ROU) 8.781

whats the story with these two teams lads, how come they have automatically qualified? i assume that Zenits victory and the fact that the ruskies have been performing reasonably well in europe is the reason that rubin kazan have qualified, but whats the story with unirea urzecdmdmc, have romanians been performing better than the greek sides for example.

apparantley unirea are the Chelsea of Ialomiţa...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

89184166.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193334E6B5204AF254CB94C2EE1F15C1432E30A760B0D81129d

pepe looks to be going for that "stone cold" steve austin look, with the new goatee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

el rabitos wrote: »
    89184166.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193334E6B5204AF254CB94C2EE1F15C1432E30A760B0D81129d

pepe looks to be going for that "stone cold" steve austin look, with the new goatee

...and thats the bottom line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Reina 3:16 says I just kicked your....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He was just impressed with Rafa's goatee.

looks like the injury skrtle picked up is pretty serious

rafa:
    "I'm really disappointed because Martin has had a problem with his hamstring and a little bit with the ligaments in his knee, so we have to wait,"

its a positon we were always going to be a little light in given sami moving on, but it looks like we'll be forced to invest in some reinforcements now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

el rabitos wrote: »
    looks like the injury skrtle picked up is pretty serious

rafa:

its a positon we were always going to be a little light in given sami moving on, but it looks like we'll be forced to invest in some reinforcements now.

if arbeloa stays there's no need to invest imo

Carra Agger first choice with Arby and Kelly providing cover.I just think it's too short term because even long term we couldn't kepp Carra/skrt/agger happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reports we're in for Distin this morning

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i wondder how serious the injury that Skrtl picked up yesterday is....this could be the reason for the Distin reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea just saw that on SSN. They just rejected a £2.5m bid, expected to be upped to £3m. Between 3 and £4m wouldn't be a bad price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Kess73 wrote: »
    Reina 3:16 says I just kicked your....
    :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=85776&stc=1&d=1248337768

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

should have got him for free when he left City!

90% recycled garbage, but one point of note.
    Alonso future remains unclear
    Spain star cannot give any guarantees to Reds

The future of Liverpool's Xabi Alonso remains uncertain after the midfielder admitted he cannot give any guarantees regarding his career.

Former Real Sociedad star Alonso has been strongly linked with a return to Spain as Real Madrid make no secret of their desire to secure his signature.

The 27-year-old is reported to be unhappy at Anfield after Reds boss Rafa Benitez appeared prepared to sell him in order to raise funds in his unsuccessful pursuit of Gareth Barry.

Alonso has admitted he is flattered by Madrid's interest and he confesses that he is unable to say if he will remain with Liverpool for the long-term.

After the Reds' pre-season friendly draw with Thailand on Wednesday, he said in the Daily Mirror: "It's difficult to give any guarantees.

"For now, I'm just enjoying myself in Thailand."

Alonso was not a member of Liverpool's squad for the 1-1 draw in Bangkok as Ryan Babel's early goal was cancelled out by Sutee's equaliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Real, please eff off:
    Real Madrid's sporting director Miguel Pardeza has confirmed the club are still hoping to land both Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa from Liverpool
    Reports now claim that the two clubs are closing on agreeing a deal with Real ready to pay €35million (£30million).
    "On Arbeloa, that is an option which - for the time being - has come to nothing," he said
    "Liverpool do not really have the desire to let him go, even though he has just a year left on his contract.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5449482,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

(Real Madrid's sporting director Miguel Pardeza)
    "The problem with Alonso is there are no alternatives, with the way football is evolving, the creative central midfielder is becoming fewer and fewer.

"Alonso is not a fad, there are just not may alternatives - not in the Americas or in Europe are their players who can perform his task."

Pardeza admits talks with Liverpool have not been easy.

He added: "They stalled, from day one - the demands of Liverpool were beyond what Madrid was willing to pay and that is very difficult to understand.

I don't get him, he says it's 'very difficult to understand' Liverpool's demands? Yet in the same interview he goes on and on about how important a player like Alonso is and that there are "no alternatives"....??? If you say there's no alternative then of course the team are going to ask for top dollar. Especially if you're paying double and more for other players recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Should Benitez just ship out Alonso, Mascherano and Arbeloa for top $?

I've consistenly supported the rumoured £23 million plus Negrado and then Sneidjer on loan with the option to buy for Alonso.

If Mascherano goes it would be for £30-£35 million who could Liverpool get in to replace him. And if Arbeloa leaves is Distin his replacement with Carragher the cover at right back?

I'd love to see Benitez go out and make his purchases before selling any of these players. Agreeing fees for Aqualini and Ashley Young and then shipping out the boys and making a tidy profit on it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

slingerz wrote: »
    Agreeing fees for Aqualini and Ashley Young and then shipping out the boys and making a tidy profit on it all.

I don't agree with selling the lot but Ashley Young would be a phenominal buy

Or does anyone think that perhaps with Xabi's age (27) that he is hoping Liverpool will come in with a bumper pay deal to put him on wages akin to Gerrard and Torres. This may be his last chance to get a large contract offer to see him off. He knows if he goes to Real that such a contract will be gotten their so maybe he's leaving the door open for Benitez to say to him "you're the best playmaker in the world, here's 100k a week now tell Madrid to get fooked and sign on the dotted line"

Arbeloa yes as he is not vital.

But Alonso is irreplaceable and Mash is not far behind. I would rather lose Masch than Alonso as I think no matter who we would buy to replace Alonso the team would be taking a massive step back and if we lose both it would be a disaster

I dont know why Rafa wont cop himself on and realize this and offer Alonso 100k a week if thats what it takes as he is well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont know why Rafa wont cop himself on and realize this and offer Alonso 100k a week if thats what it takes as he is well worth it.

cop himself on? I dont really think this is about money tbh, at least in alonso's case.

Both Skrtel and El Zhar heading home with their injuries.:o

Mavinga clearly heading into the reserves for a bit.

Also apparently Nikolaj Kohlert has been signed.
    SKRTEL AND EL ZHAR INJURY LATEST
    Paul Eaton in Singapore 23 July 2009

Liverpool will find out at the end of the week how long they will be without Martin Skrtel and Nabil El Zhar after both players limped out of last night's friendly with Thailand.

Skrtel has a hamstring injury while El Zhar has damaged medial ligaments in his knee.

Both players will return to the UK separately from the rest of the squad to undergo scans on their respective injuries.
    Mavinga - Reds move a risk
    Former PSG player felt Liverpool showed more determination
    Last updated: 23rd July 2009

New Liverpool signing Chris Mavinga admits he has taken a risk in leaving Paris St Germain to move to Anfield.

The defender signed a three-year contract with the Premier League side earlier in July after Rafa Benitez's scouts identified the teenager's talents.

Mavinga did not play for the PSG first team during his time at the Parc des Princes, but still came to the attention of Benitez.

The 18-year-old would have liked to have featured for PSG but he could not turn down Liverpool, despite the competition for places, because they showed greater determination for his signature.

Mavinga said in L'Equipe: "I wanted to play on the Parc des Princes pitch. I would have loved to wear that shirt. PSG is the club in my heart.

"Liverpool followed me for one year. Benitez even talked to me, while I never had any talks with (PSG recruitment officer) Alain Roche or coach Antoine Kombouare.

"I made Liverpool wait while they put me under pressure. Then, (former boss) Paul Le Guen, who asked me to take part in some professional training sessions, left.

"I felt Paris only offered me a professional contract to stop me from leaving.

"I know I won't play at Anfield this season and the step to Liverpool's first team is higher at Paris. It is a risk, but an opportunity too."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5449371,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

27-year-old is reported to be unhappy at Anfield after Reds boss Rafa Benitez appeared prepared to sell him in order to raise funds in his unsuccessful pursuit of Gareth Barry.

Why isn't he pissed at Madrid also that they didn't sign him last summer when he was on the market!
    Also, we are not guaranteed another great season from Xabi, especially after
    the summer he is having, if he does stay.

• Advertisement

No especially since it's clear that Real don't want to pay top dollar. There initial offer for Arbeloa was apparently €5m (£4.25m) which is just pitiful imo.

Take Alonso and Masch out of the squad and we are left with Lucas, Spearing and Plessis as our CMs. OK Stevie Gerrard could be shifted back there but this is a BAD IDEA as he is less effective the further away from goal he goes and this would just weaken the team further.

I would be far less confident about the coming season if both Masch and Alonso left. Even if one left I would be worried.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    cop himself on? I dont really think this is about money tbh, at least in alonso's case.

The money would be an incentive for him to stay but I just feel Rafa isnt going to fight too hard to keep him. The fact he wanted to sell him last summer to buy Barry, who isnt fit to lace Alonso's boots, is the reason I think he wont fight to the end to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Or does anyone think that perhaps with Xabi's age (27) that he is hoping Liverpool will come in with a bumper pay deal to put him on wages akin to Gerrard and Torres. This may be his last chance to get a large contract offer to see him off. He knows if he goes to Real that such a contract will be gotten their so maybe he's leaving the door open for Benitez to say to him "you're the best playmaker in the world, here's 100k a week now tell Madrid to get fooked and sign on the dotted line"

Because he only signed a new deal last year, with what i'm sure had a nice big signing on fee attached.

Alonso seems to me to be the perfect professional in todays soccer world. Was whored around europe last year but never got his move then knuckled down to give what was arguably his best season at the club. To be honest, if we reached a deal with real to sell him on next year akin to ronald'oh i would be happy. He has given great service to the club and would deserve his move imo. After all he is spanish, and i'm sure he grew up with dreams of winning la liga... the opportunity to play in spains biggest club doesn't come along very often after all.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

xabi has spoken in the past about his issues with the new tax laws in the uk, i think its 50% or something once you earn a certain amount so clearly thats cutting into his take home pay.

at this stage of his career (he's 27) as he said, a "dream" move to madrid in tax free spain would be good for him. especially now given the project their building, which would be attractive to any player, lets face it.

i think all things being even as far as the tax issues, he might not be pushing so much for the move, but all things considered and given that he's been at the club 5 years, i think he's decided now is the time to move on.

my gut feeling is that real will offer us in the region of 35 - 40 million for the pair of arbeloa and alonso and they'll both move on.

hate to see xabi go, but someone like poulson would fill the gap for the year, but i think losing xabi might be too much to overcome as far as winning the league.

carra's quotes from yesterday seem to add some credibility to the rumour of tension amongst the camp with the issues between xabi and rafa
    "The feeling within the squad, he is a top player and you do not want to lose your top players and hopefully it can be sorted out as quickly as possible,"

"If the club thinks it is in the best interests of the club sometimes you have to do what is in the best interests of the club.

"But that's a personal matter for the manager and the club. We all go through these situations - well hopefully not me - and as I said, I just hope it gets sorted out sooner rather than later."

The money would be an incentive for him to stay but I just feel Rafa isnt going to fight too hard to keep him. The fact he wanted to sell him last summer to buy Barry, who isnt fit to lace Alonso's boots, is the reason I think he wont fight to the end to keep him.
    Benitez: 'Alonso is a crucial part of Liverpool FC team'

LIVERPOOL manager Rafael Benitez insists Xabi Alonso is an indispensable part of a squad which he believes is within touching distance of greatness.
    Benitez: Alonso not for sale

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez claims Xabi Alonso is not for sale following fresh speculation surrounding the future of the Spain international.
    Premier League - Benitez: Alonso staying put

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has expressed his determination to hang on to midfielder Xabi Alonso.
    That's just the first page of Google. What do you want Rafa to do, unzip Alonso's fly?

Should Alonso and Mascherano both leave then what is Boardsies consencus as to who should/could replace them while remaining within the realms of reality

• Advertisement

Why would the manager, have any say on how much wages the club pay Alonso?!!
    He can make suggestions, but nothing more.

The manager doesn't negotiate contracts.

Should Alonso and Mascherano both leave then what is Boardsies consencus as to who should/could replace them while remaining within the realms of reality
    I don't think there are any players on the market now who could sufficiently fill those four boots and give us a chance of winning the PL next year. I think it would set Rafa's plans back by 2-3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hedwiges Maduro and Wesley Sneijder

But ideally Hernanes and Beckham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I can't even contemplate them both leaving. I think Masch will stay next season whether he likes it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

PiE wrote: »
    That's just the first page of Google. What do you want Rafa to do, unzip Alonso's fly?

No, tell him he's hanging low ;)
    Liverpool have dismissed claims from Spain that a fee has been agreed with Real Madrid for the sale of Xabi Alonso.

SSN

• Advertisement

I can't even contemplate them both leaving. I think Masch will stay next season whether he likes it or not.

I agree - I really can't see Masch leaving this season, especially if Alonso leaves. No matter what his agent says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lets hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

While I would love for Alonso to leave you's I'm just completely sick of the lack of respect that Real Madrid show for nearly everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    While I would love for Alonso to leave you's I'm just completely sick of the lack of respect that Real Madrid show for nearly everyone.

To be fair Pellegrini and Perez have been very respectful in this transfer window.

Pellegrini was interviewed yesterday and was asked about Alonso, He said he admired him as a player but would not talk about because he belongs to Liverpool.

Boggles wrote: »
    To be fair Pellegrini and Perez have been very respectful in this transfer window.

Pellegrini was interviewed yesterday and was asked about Alonso, He said he admired him as a player but would not talk about because he belongs to Liverpool.

None of it was aimed at Pellegrini, he seems like he's just going to be quiet and get on with coaching whatever players are brought in.

Me being pissed off was a cumulative thing of the last few years and constant bs from them.

And I've seen quotes from Perez this summer constantly talking about other teams players and most often its been Alonso.

Detest the way that club goes about business.

Boggles wrote: »

While not being as bad as they have in the past, Pellegrini, Perez and Pardeza have all talked to the media about alonso a good few times.
    Coming out once and saying they won't talk about him, after a whole summer of talking about him, means squat.

Especially if on the same day your Sporting director is talking about him, as 8-10 pointed out.
    "The problem with Alonso is there are no alternatives, with the way football is evolving, the creative central midfielder is becoming fewer and fewer.

"Alonso is not a fad, there are just not may alternatives - not in the Americas or in Europe are their players who can perform his task."

Pardeza admits talks with Liverpool have not been easy.

He added: "They stalled, from day one - the demands of Liverpool were beyond what Madrid was willing to pay and that is very difficult to understand.

And doing so in a disrespectfull and mind boggling fashion I may add too.

"Alonso is one of a kind, but I can't believe that Liverpool won't just give him to us for less than he's worth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

While not being as bad as they have in the past, Pellegrini, Perez and Pardeza have all talked to the media about alonso a good few times.
    Coming out once and saying they won't talk about him, after a whole summer of talking about him, means squat.

Especially if on the same day your Sporting director is talking about him, as 8-10 pointed out.

And doing so in a disrespectfull and mind boggling fashion I may add too.

"Alonso is one of a kind, but I can't believe that Liverpool won't just give him to us for less than he's worth"

in fairness, they tried to get rid of him last year, and now he has found a club interested that he wants to go to, Liverpool are digging their heels in. They showed him a lack of loyalty last season, hawking him around europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness, they tried to get rid of him last year, and now he has found a club interested that he wants to go to, Liverpool are digging their heels in. They showed him a lack of loyalty last season, hawking him around europe

In fairness, that's nothing to do with anything.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness, that's nothing to do with anything.

This Mitch,

whatever about him wanting to go or how he was treated its nothing to do with the constant disrespect that Real show towards other clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,312 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he wasnt hawked around europe, he had a relatively (by his standards) poor season, juve showed an interest and the club were willing to sell him as the manager had identified a replacement,

it didnt work out, turns out for the best, why should liverpool sell him, he is a very good footballer, in good form and they own him,

alonso has a lot to thank liverpool for, he shouldnt forget that,

there would never have been any saga last summer if he had played to his undoubted potential more consistently

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement