Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    My point is Karma, that if a player wants to go usually he does.

Agree?

If it suits the club.
    Liverpool are the ones with the stronger hand.
    They have Alonso's contract for the next three years.
    Real are the ones doing all the running.

Alonso is not an Anelka.
    He's a true profesional, and while I'm sure at this stage that he'd prefer a move, if he stays, he will do his best as always.
    Liverpool will sell, if Alonso wants to go, and the asking price is reached.
    If it's not, we won't.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Am I blind or has the Gerrard thread been deleted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Gerrard found not guilty of affray.

Over at last!

Lovely. It only took the jury an hour to decide too. I have to say, after hearing about Gerrard supposedly throwing three digs I thought they would find him guilty. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

this contract argument is a bust.
    yes it has come to the stage where a player has a lot to say in where he plays, and when he wants to move, but this is only the case for the very elite footballers and clubs. this kind of situation happens every year with some club or another, a few that come to mind at the moment are:-

Gerrard -> Chelsea, no move
    Barry -> Liverpool, no move
    Ronaldo -> Real Madrid, move delayed a year, cost £80m
    Berbatov -> Man Utd, got his move on deadline day after months of same old same old, cost £31m

sometimes its a go, sometimes not, but the selling/owning club will usually get their asking price or keep their man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw it on Guardian. The Manchester Utd fans shall be so bitter ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/24/steven-gerrard-verdict-affray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If it suits the club.
    Liverpool are the ones with the stronger hand.
    They have Alonso's contract for the next three years.
    Real are the ones doing all the running.

Alonso is not an Anelka.
    He's a true profesional, and while I'm sure at this stage that he'd prefer a move, if he stays, he will do his best as always.
    Liverpool will sell, if Alonso wants to go, and the asking price is reached.
    If it's not, we won't.

But that goes without saying, although the asking price will more than likely meet in the middle.

Alonso wants to go, Liverpool hold his contract.

Whatever which way around it, Alonso gets what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Over at last!

As long as he doesn't go out and celebrate...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

mike65 wrote: »
    Just saw it on Guardian. The Manchester Utd fans shall be so bitter ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/24/steven-gerrard-verdict-affray

What happens to all the other lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

5starpool wrote: »
    Am I blind or has the Gerrard thread been deleted?

It has been after I was advised discussion of an on-going trial was a non-runner. I had originally closed the thread pending Admin feedback.

If it reopens it will be need thorough cleaning IMO, but it won't reappear until I get an answer to a 2nd question I've asked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

A7X wrote: »
    What happens to all the other lads?

Doubt you will find anyone on here that cares :)

• Advertisement

It has been after I was advised discussion of an on-going trial was a non-runner. I had originally closed the thread pending Admin feedback.

If it reopens it will be need thorough cleaning IMO, but it won't reappear until I get an answer to a 2nd question I've asked.

In that case maybe just start a new one talking about the outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Gerrard welled up with tears as a statement from Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish was read out. Dalglish described Gerrard as "not the archetypal footballer. He does not like to move in movie star circles."

He described him as "quiet" and "very private". Despite his wealth, Dalglish said, Gerrard had "never forgotten his roots".

"He is a very respectful man who has always behaved to senior players in a respectful way," Dalglish said. "He is a very humble man."

Fair play to Kenny, he put across what he wanted to say very well and I'm sure this played a big part in the jury finding Gerrard not guilty.

When I get an answer to the 2nd question I've asked of the Admins.

Why bother, to be honest now he isn't doing time/community service its not going to be of interest to many.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Fair play to Kenny, he put across what he wanted to say very well and I'm sure this played a big part in the jury finding Gerrard not guilty.

Kenny could pronounce my family as vampires, and I would probably believe him.

Why bother, to be honest now he isn't doing time/community service its not going to be of interest to many.

If there wasn't interest it wouldnt have come up tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The full article from the Guardian for those who cannot access links at work.

The Liverpool captain and England midfielder Steven Gerrard was cleared of affray today after a row over controlling the music playing in a bar.

Liverpool crown court heard that Marcus McGee, 34, was punched in the face by the footballer in a brawl at a bar in Southport last December.

Gerrard admitted hitting McGee three times but denied affray, saying he had been acting in self-defence as he thought the other man was about to strike him.

The case centred on whether the jury believed Gerrard had been acting in self-defence.

Earlier in the evening, Gerrard and a group of seven friends had been in high spirits, dancing and drinking in the Lounge Inn and singing along to music after Liverpool's 5-1 victory over Newcastle, a match in which Gerrard had scored two goals.

The footballer had been drinking Budweiser and a sweet liqueur-based shot called a Jammy Donut. In police interviews, he estimated his level of drunkenness as seven out of 10; one being "sober as a judge" and 10 being "legless".

However, at around 2am, the mood soured when Gerrard walked up to the bar and asked McGee, a customer who had been asked to take charge of the music, for a card to control the CD player. McGee refused.

Six minutes later, Gerrard approached McGee, who was still at the bar. Gerrard's friend John Doran landed the first blow, jabbing his elbow into McGee's face. As McGee reeled backwards, Gerrard thought he was about to be attacked and reacted with punches.

Ian Smith, another member of Gerrard's party, joined in. Doran and Smith then kicked McGee.

Gerrard was dragged away from the fight by the bar manager and was restrained. Six co-defendants, including two Accrington Stanley players, admitted charges of affray or threatening behaviour before their trial was due to begin. They will be sentenced at a later date.

The jurors watched CCTV footage from the bar in which Gerrard could be seen enjoying himself with his friends as a woman danced eccentrically nearby, causing laughter in court.

During the trial, the prosecutor, David Turner QC, paid homage to Gerrard's skill, describing him as a world-class footballer and "a star". He added: "Wherever you go in Liverpool, and indeed the world, there are little boys proudly wearing that red Liverpool shirt with No 8 and the name Gerrard on the back of it."

When interviewed by the police later that night, Gerrard agreed there had been an exchange of words concerning the music but said McGee had been aggressive. He said he had no intention of having a fight.

Gerrard told the court yesterday that he struck McGee "to defend myself". He said: "I thought he was going to hit me.

"He was on his way forward to me and his behaviour had changed from when I was having a discussion with him. I didn't know why."

Asked how he felt now, the footballer added: "I am certainly mistaken in thinking he was coming towards me to throw punches at me. Now I know, obviously, he had been struck, reacted and thought the strike was by me and he came into me and that's when I reacted.

"I am sorry about the whole incident."

Gerrard remained calm and quietly spoken as he gave evidence, repeatedly sipping a glass of water as he stood in the witness box.

He said it had been very difficult to explain to the police what he had done until he saw the CCTV footage.

He told the jury he had been used to people "mithering" him and making derogatory or insulting remarks and he was usually able to smooth things over.

He admitted calling McGee "a prick" to one of his friends when he refused to change the music.

He claimed McGee swore at him during their conversation.

Gerrard said a member of staff at the bar had given him permission to choose music from a CD player McGee was operating.

"I couldn't understand why the guy had such a problem with me, why he was so aggressive," he said.

Gerrard told the court he had a conviction for drink-driving when he was 19 but had not been in any other trouble with the police.

Gerrard welled up with tears as a statement from Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish was read out. Dalglish described Gerrard as "not the archetypal footballer. He does not like to move in movie star circles."

He described him as "quiet" and "very private". Despite his wealth, Dalglish said, Gerrard had "never forgotten his roots".

"He is a very respectful man who has always behaved to senior players in a respectful way," Dalglish said. "He is a very humble man."

Dalglish, who had earlier met Gerrard on the night of the incident, said he had been with a group of boys who were "normal, polite, eating sushi and enjoying themselves".

If there wasn't interest it wouldnt have come up tbf.

Yeah but I think the interest was in the outcome. Whether a person thinks the outcome was correct or not no longer matters, as a court has ruled on the matter.

If discussing the case while it was ongoing was not on, then discussing and maybe disagreeing with a verdict can only follow the same route.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah but I think the interest was in the outcome. Whether a person thinks the outcome was correct or not no longer matters, as a court has ruled on the matter.

If discussing the case while it was ongoing was not on, then discussing and maybe disagreeing with a verdict can only follow the same route.

I just thought it was in best interest of not clogging up this thread with potential rubbish. lol

I wouldn't mind discussing it. For instance, does anyone know what happened to the other guys? Cause I find it hard that they all get charged apart from Gerrard. Really doesnt sit well.

This thread has been clogged up with rubbish for weeks. ;)

oh and joke that cannot be used now -

Gerrard has been found guilty and has been sentenced to 100 hours community service teaching football skills, he starts at Goodison Park on Monday.

I didn't say it was any good.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    But that goes without saying, although the asking price will more than likely meet in the middle.

Alonso wants to go, Liverpool hold his contract.

Whatever which way around it, Alonso gets what he wants.

Liverpool won't and don't have to budge on price.

I wouldn't mind discussing it. For instance, does anyone know what happened to the other guys? Cause I find it hard that they all get charged apart from Gerrard. Really doesnt sit well.

All seven were charged, Gerrard was the only one to plead not guilty, the rest entered pleas of guilty and will be sentenced next month.

I just thought it was in best interest of not clogging up this thread with potential rubbish. lol

The other guys will be seperate hearings and were charged after pleading guilty, and the ones that went to threaten McGee to drop the charges a few months before the case will be tried at a later date, but that does not impact in any way on Gerrard as his part in it is now finished with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

"The footballer had been drinking Budweiser"

Carlsberg won't be happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

emc2 wrote: »
    "The footballer had been drinking Budweiser"

Carlsberg won't be happy with that!

Probably explains his reaction. Fecking headache in a bottle that stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The other guys will be seperate hearings and were charged after pleading guilty, and the ones that went to threaten McGee to drop the charges a few months before the case will be tried at a later date, but that does not impact in any way on Gerrard as his part in it is now finished with

Yeah your right it doesn't have an impact on Gerrard anymore, but it still isn't right. I dunno how they believed it was "self defense".

Over at last!

Great news!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah your right it doesn't have an impact on Gerrard anymore, but it still isn't right. I dunno how they believed it was "self defense".

Id say his description of events, character profile and being who he is helped him avoid any possibility of being charged. It was probably not the clearest anyway and he seems like a decent bloke who probably did think it was in self defense. So when you weigh it all up, I can see why they cleared him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Easy, Chewbacca defense

I don't have the South Park video but the audio is in this

• Advertisement

No Real Madrid Xabi Alonso deal, says Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez
    Jul 24 2009 by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL insist no deal has been agreed for Xabi Alonso and boss Rafa Benitez expects him to play a part in Sunday’s friendly with Singapore.

The 27-year-old’s future has been the subject of intense speculation with reports in Spain suggesting a fee of around £30million with Real Madrid had been agreed.

However, Alonso, who missed Wednesday’s draw against Thailand with an ankle injury, is still with the squad and returned to training last night.

Benitez refused to comment on the midfielder’s future after arriving in Singapore but he rejected fresh claims that Javier Mascherano is unhappy at Anfield.

“Like I said before, Alonso will enjoy the weather, the fans and the journalists,” Benitez said. “He is ready and can play.

“As for Mascherano, you have a big problem now in the press.

“There are too many websites, too many newspapers, too many radio and TV stations who have to compete every day.

“It seems sometimes you repeat something and people read news that is 15 days out of date.

“Mascherano knows our ideas. He is working hard and is an important player for us.”

The Reds were set to train twice today as they gear towards Sunday’s clash with the Singapore national team.

The welcome the squad received on their arrival was decidedly low key compared to the frenzy which accompanied their every move in Bangkok.

“For us to be here is a great experience,” Benitez added.

“For the club it’s a great opportunity and we have to approach it in a positive way.

“Hopefully we won’t have any more injuries and we will be able to train properly.”

Martin Skrtel and Nabil El Zhar will undergo scans at Melwood today after injury cut short their stay in the Far East.

Skrtel’s struggling with his hamstring while El Zhar damaged knee ligaments.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/07/24/no-real-madrid-xabi-alonso-deal-says-liverpool-fc-manager-rafa-benitez-100252-24230654/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Headline doesn't really match the article as Rafa says nothing about Alonso and Masch's future apart from them enjoying the trip and being ready for Sundays game.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Balague's latest, On Liverpool, David Silva, Villa and Valencia
    We`ve been receiving a lot of emails and comments from Liverpool fans in relation to one Spanish player in particular: David Silva.

The Valencia player has frequently been linked with a move to Liverpool and was at the centre of a flurry of speculation when Valencia went public with the revelation that Benitez had been making enquiries at the end of last season. However, as the Liverpool boss stated in an interview with me at that time - published here - contact had been made, but in Rafa`s own words: " people have been talking too much ...and Silva is not someone we are looking at now." In other words, Valencia`s decision to go public was an attempt by the Spanish club to spark a bidding war for the player - but Liverpool had established that they were prepared to pay €20million and not a cent more, so very sensibly walked away from Valencia`s attempt to create an auction. Equally, David Silva was happy to leave Valencia at that time, but preferred to stay in Spain and was unsure about moving abroad.

However, the speculation has resurfaced and in the last few days the player has once again been linked with a move to Anfield, and consequently readers have been contacting this site asking questions about press reports of an agreement between Liverpool and Valencia, leaving comments referring to supposed done deals and even citing rumours of a David Silva medical.

We can clear all of the above up by saying that, at this moment in time, neither Liverpool, nor any other English club, have had any recent contact with Valencia over David Silva.

The most recent interest in the player has been from Spain and everyone had been anticipating offers from either Barcelona or Real Madrid - however, nothing has materialized so far this summer.

As far as Liverpool are concerned, I am still being told that there is no chance that they will be making a move for David Silva at this time. Most of the transfer money available has been spent on Glen Johnson (this includes revenue from the sale of Keane, and debts owed to Liverpool by Portsmouth for the transfer of Peter Crouch that were factored into the Johnson deal). Considerable funds have also been dedicated to the renewal and extension of many current player`s contracts at Anfield - including Benayoun. In fact, I understand that, had he been sold, David Silva was considered as a replacement for the Israeli, but now that Yossi is staying at the club - the signing of Silva is even less of a possibility.

Although there have been no formal contact between Liverpool and Valencia in relation to David Silva recently, the channels of communication remain open between Anfield and the player`s representatives - so as with anything in football, we can never say never, but nothing appears likely at this time. It has even been suggested that Manchester United are also interested in David Silva, and I have been advised that the player will be under very close scrutiny when Valencia take on Ferguson`s men next month.

Another question that many have been asking on this site, and one that relates to the above, not to mention David Villa is: "how on earth can Valencia possibly keep hold of the pair when the club are in such dire financial circumstances and have previously admitted that they must sell to avoid financial meltdown?"

Unfortunately, there is no logical or rational explanation, and at times the situation at Valencia is as baffling to us here as it appears to you. In many ways the Mestalla club remind me of Newcastle United: a club where what counts is the opinion of the public, an anonymous body that defies all financial and sporting logic and one that rules the club with its heart rather than its head. The problem at Valencia is that nobody wants to be the pantomime villain and risk the wrath of the fans by actually selling their favourite players. Consequently, the club remain in a mess financially and the players concerned are growing deeply frustrated and unsettled - particularly David Villa, who we will have more on tomorrow...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'd buy a share at £5,000 let alone £500.

Same here,I never had much faith in ShareLiverpool.I have been aware for some time that ShareLiverpool have approached the SOS lads with a view to coming on board.I hope this comes off,5 years ago would have been the ideal time to make a move like this.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Same here,I never had much faith in ShareLiverpool.I have been aware for some time that ShareLiverpool have approached the SOS lads with a view to coming on board.I hope this comes off,5 years ago would have been the ideal time to make a move like this.

ShareLiverpool and SOS coming together could be massive.
    The two sepperate groups were always going to split support somewhat, even if they are sepperate in their working and goals.

If the two did pull together, it could have a kind of galvenising effect.
    If everyone is pulling in the same direction it could become much closer to reality.

I just hope we have not missed the boat and the lads can pull this off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just wondering what Liverpool team are playing tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

an out and out reserve team id say. everyone else is in the far east.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    an out and out reserve team id say. everyone else is in the far east.

except for Gerrard who SSN say is starting.

edit - confirmed on lfc.tv
    Liverpool Reserves: David Martin, Emmanuel Mendy, Stephen Darby, Daniel Ayala, Robbie Threlfall, Victor Palsson (c), Nathan Eccleston, Steven Gerrard, Gerardo Bruna, David Amoo, Vincent Weijl. Subs: Steven Irwin, Chris Oldfield, Andras Simon, Jordy Brouwer, Ryan Crowther, Vitor Flora, Nikola Saric, Chris Mavinga, Adam Hammill

LOL, get the abuse out the way quickly!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

LOL, get the abuse out the way quickly!

abuse? playing Tranmere. seems very unlikely :pac:

• Advertisement

Mancs from all over south Lancs will have snapped up tickets the moment the they knew this game was on (assuming Gerrard was not in a cell)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dub13 wrote: »
    I just hope we have not missed the boat and the lads can pull this off.

It would be great. €500 i could afford, €5000 i couldn't so that's good news.

My one worry is this - it seems getting together the money to buy the club is a struggle enough. How will the group then finance a new stadium, and where will 20 million a season come from for transfers, given that it's unlikely to come from the clubs revenue reserves, or lack thereof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool Reserves: David Martin, Emmanuel Mendy, Stephen Darby, Daniel Ayala, Robbie Threlfall, Victor Palsson (c), Nathan Eccleston, Steven Gerrard, Gerardo Bruna, David Amoo, Vincent Weijl. Subs: Steven Irwin, Chris Oldfield, Andras Simon, Jordy Brouwer, Ryan Crowther, Vitor Flora, Nikola Saric, Chris Mavinga, Adam Hammill
    Ha, Palsson captaining Steven Gerrard.

The game is on LFC at 10 pm, 10 am Saturday and Monday evening 8.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

No Norman Wisdom?:(

My one worry is this - it seems getting together the money to buy the club is a struggle enough. How will the group then finance a new stadium, and where will 20 million a season come from for transfers, given that it's unlikely to come from the clubs revenue reserves, or lack thereof?

You only need one big push for cash once you own the club thats it,you then save money by 1)not paying out for loans 2)not paying out profit taken in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You would then have to wait another 10 years before you can build the stadium though?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

flahavaj wrote: »
    No Norman Wisdom?:(

With Ayala back with the reserves the CB situation is improved a fair bit and Wisdom is only 16.

HT 1-0 Tranmere - Shocking goal from a corner - Reasonable decent ball into box keeper but Martin's positioning all wrong and got nowhere near it combined with no marking at all at the back post and smallest player on the pitch had the softest effort of a header to finish. Up to then Liverpool had probably been slightly ahead but neither keeper was anyway near busy and I don't think either made a proper save all half. Both defences have been on top.

Stevie G - looking a class above whenever he has got involved but reasonably quiet by what hes capable of.
    Amoo - probably the most impressive performer of the rest, looked lively whenever he got on the ball, showed good touch and pace decent awareness.
    Eccelstone - very little impact barely touched the ball
    Bruna - came into the game a but more as it went on, showed a couple of touches of class but wasnt involved to any great degree.
    Weijl - Very sporadic involvement, a bit meh really
    Palsson - very quiet for a CM saw very little of the ball - did ping a nice long distance cross-field ball to Weijl a bit Xabiesque but quiet overall.
    Darby - playing him at left-back a bit strange -did fine looked solid throughout - possibly could have been looking after the back-post for the goal for the corner, hard to know though if this was his zone in rotationall or what
    Ayala - looked very calm and composed, very solid display
    Threfall - not as involved as Ayala but didnt make any mistakes - had a half-chance of a header from a corner early on
    Mendy - by far and away the worst outfield performer imo. never looked secure defensively and misplaced passes a number of time, a very weak performance. Cant see him ever making a breakthrough at Liverpool

Found it odd that Darby wasnt played RB ahead of Mendy - I would imagine that in competitive games Darby could be RB with Mavinga and Buchtamnn competing for the LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Mendy on for Darby at HT

You would then have to wait another 10 years before you can build the stadium though?!?

That is a stumbling block alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement