Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »

Fullbacks united are stronger
    centre halves we are stonger
    wingers utd are stonger
    central mid we are stronger
    forwards toss of a coin

Which centre half partnership is stronger than Vidic and Ferdinand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Horses for courses.

Now, for us to strengten our wide areas in an effort to compete with Utds we would need to spend probably 50m-60m on 2 players to play out wide. this quite simply, is not possible with our current financial situation.

Instead Rafa is aiming to improve wat we already have, as opposed to building something new altogether.

:eek: What are you talking about ? Whats all this building something new altogether talk ? I'm talking about playing the same formation as we played last year but replacing Kuyt, as he didnt offer nearly enough. I'm not suggesting we splash out 60m.

If we even spent the 18m that we supposedly have for Barry, on a quality player for the RWF position it would make a massive difference.

Basically what youre saying is - our wide areas are SO inferior to the other teams, we may as well ignore them altogether.

Alan - at the end of last season, before any Barry talk started, If I had of asked every Liverpool supporter on this board what our main problem area was, 99% would have said our wide areas and in particular, Kuyt. Last year we struggled with creativity when teams put 10 men behind the ball.

As far as I can see, it hasnt been addressed yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

in a far inferior team.

suttle as always alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boggles wrote: »
    Which centre half partnership is stronger than Vidic and Ferdinand?

I think he's talking about squad rather then first 11.

Vidic and Ferdinand are both great, but its a sizable drop down in quality after those two. Its a failing which killed Liverpool last season, Agger and Carra were very good, but once agger was lost we had to rely on hyypia playing every game.

Id take;
    Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Hyypia
    over
    Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Brown, Silvestre

One more top notch CB and United would be sorted, but not just yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Id take;
    Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Hyypia
    over
    Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Brown, Silvestre

when u put it like that id take Utds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, Mr. Alan, but thats just some crap.
    Brown is as good as Skrtel as 3rd choice CB. I don't know how you could think otherwise. Watch him play Barca at home, he was outstanding.

While Vidic and Carragher may be as good as each other (I don't think they are, but I could see it), and Brown and Skrtel are as good as each other, Silvestre and Hypia are much of a muchness,
    Ferdinand is imo the best defender in the world, and significantly better than Agger. That's not to say Agger isn't good, I think he's very good, as good as Carragher/Vidic in a different way, but Ferdinand is another level.
    That's why United were by far the best defence in the world last year, and why Torres couldn't do jack against United, Ferdinand. How many other defenders actually keep Torres in his pocket?

Also I'd disagree with the central midfield thing too, especially if we're talking squads.

Carrick, Hargreaves, Scholes, Anderson
    vs.
    Alonso, Mascherano, Plessis, Lucas

The only one Liverpool win there is Mascherano vs. Hargreaves, and I don't think they win it, its a draw [both are amazing players] Carrick is better than Alonso, has been for 2 seasons. Scholes obviously better than Plessis, and Anderson has shown a lot more than Lucas so far.
    Even if you include Gerrard in there (despite the fact he didn't play there for almost the entire season) its still not a win. Fletcher our 5th choice is better than Plessis, and Scholes vs. Gerrard is a debate I could have 1000 times, but no way a significant win. Either way, if Gerrard is in midfield, you'd lose the central attackers round.

The only area that Liverpool are as good as United is in their central attackers. Rooney and Tevez or Gerrard and Torres is an extremely tough choice and I don't know which I'd pick.

Liverpool imo are significantly behind both Chelsea and United in terms of squad. This summer, all Liverpool could do was catch up in their first 11. Chelsea and United have been ahead of them since Rafa came, and just continue to strengthen.
    Barry instead of Alonso
    Two need widish attackers
    New fullbacks

imo would have done that, their first 11 would have been as good as all the top 4. So far we've see one and a half parts of that, new fullbacks, and 1 new attacker who may be wide, or maybe Gerrards going wide, who knows.
    The window is still open. Barry might get brought in and Alonso shipped out. Another wide player might get bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*******************BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING**********************

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

as rebel said, i was talking about squad, there is no doubt that Vidic & Rio are the best partnership in the PL, and Europe last year. But if Rio gets injured-imo-you're ****ed. Thats where the squad comes into play. Utd fans in general are always talking about it being squad strenght that is difference between winning the title and not winning it.

imo opinion, Agger-Carra-Skrtel-Hypia is the strongest CB choice in the PL.

Good work comparing the midfields there PHB, although you seemed to be conveniently ignoring that I was talking about if we signed Barry and kept Alonso whereby ours would read.....Alonso,Mascherano,Barry,Gerrard,Lucas.....which is stronger than Utds imo.

The point i am trying to make is that the gap between first and fourth was not a lot last year at all, Rafa is going about improving the squad in the way he sees fit, i for one will give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to how successful it will be.

But imo, it is logical that strengthening ANY position of the team that improves us is a step forward, and one that should result in the small gap being made even smaller.

I also think Tusky that you are being a little harsh on Kuyt, he had a difficult year last year no doubt, but his form for the last few months and in the Euros was excellent. In fact, if i was watching the Euros and he didnt play for us already, i would be hoping we would sign him.

Sorry for boring you mike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

In fairness though it's a bit "mine is beigger than yours"; it's a circular argument of unchanging opinions that's been done to death.

Anyway, reasons to be cheerful:
    • Drifting into the last ten minutes away from home against spirited mid table opposition last year we would have taken the point. This time we stuck at it and picked up the full 3
    • Torres scored almost all his goals (esp in the EPL) at home last year - good to see him score away, esp in one of the more vocal stadiums. Hopefully a sign that he will cure the only (arguable) weak point of his game
    • Reina has had a couple of really solid games now and - despite ropey defending at times - has kept two clean sheets. He's well on the way to being top keeper in the EPL
    • Alonso played well when he came on - arguably won the game for us. Of particular note was his long range shot. With him in the team keepers will be shy of going too far off thier line. This means that there will be more space between the last man and the goal for Torres / Keane to run into, creating more chances
    • This was a weakened team - the return of Babbel and (esp) Masch will give us better options in attack and geater shielding of the defence

Far from perfect but no need for al the doom and gloom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Tusky wrote: »
    I think the smarter thing to do would have been to splash out on a Kuyt replacement and then buy a cheaper striker to replace Crouch. Someone young with potential & wouldnt mind sitting on the bench and learning from Torres.

We did do that. His name is Ngog.:pac: But seriously I agree about Keane, fanastic player but it wasn't vital that we signed him. It inevitably meant also that our very successful formation of the last months of last season would be broken up.

or else it means that we have a second excellent striker if we decide to play 4-4-2 occassionally, one who can also play in any of the acttacking positions in 4-2-3-1 formation.

Gio Trapp saying the "hole" is his best role a la Totti and I seem to remeber him having a stormer on out the left of an attacking 3 against Chelsea a couple of years ago. Obviously he can also play Kuyts role. But i think the main thing in, he can play behind the front man and rotate with Gerrard/Kuyt/Babel etc constantly during the match with some ease.

or else it means that we have a second excellent striker if we decide to play 4-4-2 occassionally, one who can also play in any of the acttacking positions in 4-2-3-1 formation.

Gio Trapp saying the "hole" is his best role a la Totti and I seem to remeber him having a stormer on out the left of an attacking 3 against Chelsea a couple of years ago. Obviously he can also play Kuyts role. But i think the main thing in, he can play behind the front man and rotate with Gerrard/Kuyt/Babel etc constantly during the match with some ease.

My mentality towards formations is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm chuffed that we have Keane, if Torres got injured at least we would have another top class player in Keane. I also agree that Keane could play up front, behind the striker or even on the right inthe 4-2-3-1 formation. I just would have liked to see £18m spent on a position that really needed strengthening for the 4-2-3-1 formation, which would been RM or FB in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In fairness the rumours coming out of LFC officially are that the transfer window dealings are by no means over yet.. I think wait and see how the squad looks on September 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Both Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin were left out of the squad on Saturday as Benitez looks to tie up deals that could see the pair depart Anfield this week.

Meanwhile, left-back Andrea Dossena has been called up for Italy by new boss Marcello Lippi for Wednesday’s game with Austria.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/18/we-must-get-better-sami-hyypia-100252-21552835/2/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Can someone tell me why we arent in for Arshavin for £19m?

He could fit in perfectly with our attacking trio and IMO would be a much better option than Babel on the left.

Torres

Arshavin--Keane--Gerrard

Masch----Xabi

Dossena--Agger--Carra--Arbeloa

Reina

That starting XI would rival any in european football IMO. Definitely a much better team than a 442 with Barry in the centre and Gerrard on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

yeah - that russian lad would improve our team an awful lot more than barry would - but i have the feeling that rafa wants barry to fit in with the new 8 home players directive from uefa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

did Rafa not say that he still wants Barry and 1 other player?

I think at this stage we will get Barry and keep alonso and hopefully get a winger.

Parry should resign, its obvious he's a complete kn0b and doesnt have anything to offer LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Only a rumour of Arshavin but I saw something that suggested Liverpool made an offer of £8m for Arshavin back in January when Skrtel was purchased from Zenith. They wanted £10m for him which the Yanks wouldnt sanction that as Skrtel was a more important priority and we needed the money to tie up the Mascherano deal. If that rumour was true, then I couldnt see Liverpool paying double what they offered a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Only a rumour of Arshavin but I saw something that suggested Liverpool made an offer of £8m for Arshavin back in January when Skrtel was purchased from Zenith. They wanted £10m for him which the Yanks wouldnt sanction that as Skrtel was a more important priority and we needed the money to tie up the Mascherano deal. If that rumour was true, then I couldnt see Liverpool paying double what they offered a few months ago.

It was supposedly £15,000,000 for Skrtel and Arshavin, but from what I hear Zenith said no off the bat, so I don't think the Yanks were to blame for that one.
    Zenith weren't gonna loose two fan favorites at once, so Rafa prioritised on Skrtel for obvious reasons.

Melion wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why we arent in for Arshavin for £19m?

He could fit in perfectly with our attacking trio and IMO would be a much better option than Babel on the left.

Torres

Arshavin--Keane--Gerrard

Masch----Xabi

Dossena--Agger--Carra--Arbeloa

Reina

That starting XI would rival any in european football IMO. Definitely a much better team than a 442 with Barry in the centre and Gerrard on the right.

I haven't seen him play for Zenith but I would worry that he can't handle the rough and tumble of the PL. After two fantastic games during the Euro's he lost a lot of steam against Spain. I usually ignore anything that Dunphy says but the guy is 26 or something, why are we only hearing about him now? If he was that consistently good surely he would of set the world a light before the Euros...

I'm not saying he's bad, I would just have issues with paying £20m for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

It was supposedly £15,000,000 for Skrtel and Arshavin, but from what I hear Zenith said no off the bat, so I don't think the Yanks were to blame for that one.
    Zenith weren't gonna loose two fan favorites at once, so Rafa prioritised on Skrtel for obvious reasons.

What I read was a few months back, and that was only then a second or third hand thing, so Karma's version could very well be the more accurate. Seems a shame looking back now though as Arshavin would seem to tick a lot of the boxes in what we need in a left-sided attacker. However if the reports of the previous bid are true, I don't think there is much of a chance of Liverpool being in for him at double what they offered a few month's ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

And that relates to Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours how?

because it would indicate Joe Cole is for sale, and we have been linked to him (albeit somewhat dubiously) over the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

because it would indicate Joe Cole is for sale, and we have been linked to him (albeit somewhat dubiously) over the last week.

Funnily enough so have villa. I'm sure i read somewhere there was a 10m bid :confused:

:(

ah, the plot thickens...

Joe Cole is a ****ing brilliant player, with a decent enough attitude who would perfectly fit our formation and playing style and who has plenty of premier league experience....I'm failing to see the negatives? apart from him being cockney and having a slightly annoying voice.

Joe Cole is a ****ing brilliant player, with a decent enough attitude who would perfectly fit our formation and playing style and who has plenty of premier league experience....I'm failing to see the negatives? apart from him being cockney and having a slightly annoying voice.

I really couldn't disagree any more than I do with that!

Because there were stories linking us to Joe Cole as Chelsea were signing Robiniho. Also fits into Rafas English left footer than can play in three positions.

For once, I agree with Alan. Joe Cole is light years ahead of anything we have on the wing. In my opinion he is one of the best wingers in the world. I would be over the moon if we got him.

----Masch--Alonso

Gerrard

Keane---Torres----Cole

----Masch--Alonso

Gerrard--Keane---Cole

Torres

• Advertisement

There is still an air of wanker off him....

I really couldn't disagree any more than I do with that!

??? he hasnt really moaned about being left out of the team ever, has changed his game as requested by his manager.....i'm failing to see when he has had an awful attitude?

He's a diver, which I hate.
    He's a whiner, which I hate.
    He thinks that he's Gods gift, which I hate.
    He's a sulker, which I hate.
    He's not a great team player, which I hate.

I think that missing time summed it up well.;)

He's a diver, which I hate.
    He's a whiner, which I hate.
    He thinks that he's Gods gift, which I hate.
    He's a sulker, which I hate.
    He's not a great team player, which I hate.

He's a winner....

He's a diver, which I hate.wouldnt call him a particularly bad diver tbh not near the worst offenders in league for example
    He's a whiner, which I hate.again, i've never seen this part of his game, he always seem to have knuckled down while at Chelsea, even when being treated unfairly at times
    He thinks that he's Gods gift, which I hate.surely thats only a good thing with a footballer? think Gerrard/Fowler etc
    He's a sulker, which I hate.again, arent most footballers sulkers?
    He's not a great team player, which I hate.really? examples please....he changed his game in order to benefit the team at Chelsea are started doing the less pretty things as requested by Jose, this along with never moaning in the press about being left out quite occassionally would lead me to believe the opposite

dont agree with you at all Karma tbh.

spockety wrote: »
    He's a winner....

Djimi Traore has a Champions League medal.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

anyone who thinks Joe Cole wouldn't be a good addition to the Pool squad is clinically insane.

Djimi Traore has a Champions League medal.;)

So does half our team.. Joe Cole has Premiership medals, that's what we want now.

Ha ha, indeed. One instance I remember is when West Ham got relegated. A few weeks prior to the relegation he was being interviewed after a match and the reporter asked for his thoughts on West Ham's relegation battle. He was just ignorant and said that West Ham were not in a battle to escape the drop.

It would be fantastic though if we signed him.

• Advertisement

dont agree.

I hate all divers, I can kinda accept players going down easily when touched (kinda) but I abhore players who deliberately go down when not fowled.
    I hate it in all players, Gerrard included.

His childish attitude after we knocked them out of the Champions League in 05 has always stuck with me.
    Petulance is not good in a player.

Gerrard and Fowler are not on a par with Cole.
    Cole is Ronaldo light!

He has moaned about is lack of a role with England.

I just don't see him as a Liverpool player to be honest.
    If he came I'd have to support him, like I support all players in the red, but I much more enjoy hating him in the opposition.
    I feel much the same as when we were linked with Bowyer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

He'd still walk into the starting eleven of Liverpool, stinkin' of wanker, and it'd be a savage improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

karma, would you not agree that he would be a serious addition to our forst 11?

i think all other opinion should be forgotten IF it is for the good of the team.

Im not a big fan of him but he is a class player and i think he would fit in perfectly. Unfortunatly i cant see chelsea selling him, I think SWP will go first.

spockety wrote: »
    So does half our team.. Joe Cole has Premiership medals, that's what we want now.

So does John OShea.
    In fact he has loads.

Would you swap him for Carra?!

You know what I meant.
    Any player can win amedal in the right squad.

prendy wrote: »
    karma, would you not agree that he would be a serious addition to our forst 11?

i think all other opinion should be forgotten IF it is for the good of the team.

Im not a big fan of him but he is a class player and i think he would fit in perfectly. Unfortunatly i cant see chelsea selling him, I think SWP will go first.

If he fits in.
    I've no problem in admitting that he's an amazing talent.
    I just think that the most talented player in the world could be useless if he causes disharmony in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cole knows he'd be in with a decent chance of getting one of those elusive CL medals with Liverpool.

Echo mentions Voronin/Pennant sale deals looking to be tied up this week.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Cole knows he'd be in with a decent chance of getting one of those elusive CL medals with Liverpool.

Echo mentions Voronin/Pennant sale deals looking to be tied up this week.

Mike.

Both of them? Er thats 2 packets of crisps for you Mr Parry. Would you like the mars bars now or in 12 months?

If he fits in.
    I've no problem in admitting that he's an amazing talent.
    I just think that the most talented player in the world could be useless if he causes disharmony in the team.

When has Cole caused disharmony in a team ? I know hes not the most likable guy but a team of 11 nice guys wont necessarily win anything.

Is Adebayor a nice guy ? What about Ronaldo or John Terry? Eto'o ? Football ability should come first, being a nice guy is a bonus.

Pennant sale deals looking to be tied up this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭SteM

I'd have to disagree there. He only missed out on one through penalites last season and there's no reason to think that Chelsea can't go all the way in the CL this year. They certainly have as much chance as Liveproll given their squad etc.

Can't see him moving to Liverpool, seems happy at Chelsea now and he's a London lad born and bred.

He is a great player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I can't see Cole leaving for Liverpool - and we've had enough of Liverpool-English-player transfer sagas to last us a lifetime after the GB debacle...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement