Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

malice_ wrote: »
    If Arbeloa does leave I'm a bit curious as to why. Does he feel that it'll be easier to dislodge Sergio Ramos from the Real Madrid first team rather than Glen Johnson from Liverpool's or is he another one who's family haven't settled?

I did feel at times last season that he would have benefitted from having competiton for his place (well, more competition than a broken Degen) as he seemed to coast through a few games (especially the West Brom game where Carragher had a go at him). Now that the competition has arrived he wants out?

I'd say its more the 'Wow I could play for Real Madrid, even though in reality I'm nowhere near as good as their current team!'

It would be a career goal thing I'd say, Madrid may never come a-knocking for him again.

It would be like an english player, playing for say, Bayern, then getting the opportunity to play for United... ;)

**Oh, this was in no way comparing Bayern to Liverpool, obviously, just player mentality**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Arbeloa does leave I'm a bit curious as to why. Does he feel that it'll be easier to dislodge Sergio Ramos from the Real Madrid first team

probably, since Ramos is an awful defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Agreed. He can also play at CB freeing up the RB slot for Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Since when did Real care about whether their defenders could defend?

Morzadec wrote: »
    Since when did Real care about whether their defenders could defend?

They must give it a little consideration seeing as they have signed Albiol from Valencia.

He was linked with us a while back so he must be somewhat decent at defending.

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    They must give it a little consideration seeing as they have signed Albiol from Valencia.

He was linked with us a while back so he must be somewhat decent at defending.

Yeah you know what I'm saying though. Especially for fullbacks. Ramos is the archtypal Real defender, and I don't think Arbeloa's ability to defend better is going to win him a place over Ramos who is very popular at Madrid. In general defensive ability is something that seems to come as little concern to Real from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Distin will go to Spurs IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd say its more the 'Wow I could play for Real Madrid, even though in reality I'm nowhere near as good as their current team!'

It would be a career goal thing I'd say, Madrid may never come a-knocking for him again.
    That's a fair point.
    He's never looked particularly good defensively anytime I've watched him but surely if Arbeloa is a better player he'd be ahead of Ramos internationally or is there a certain amount of Madrid favouritism keeping him out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Spearing is not good enough to play central midfield for us, and he's definitely not good enough to play RB. Carragher has no pace and was badly exposed at full-back in recent times. Also if you put him at RB we are left with 2 recognised CBs. Darby should go on loan, because a season as 3rd choice will do him no good at all. Degen has looked extremely poor any time i've seen him play.
    So while, conceivably, we've lots of options at RB, i trust none of them bar Johnson to be honest.
    We are not prepared for an injury crisis at all.

I'd agree with all of this.

I had hopes for Darby but I think this season is too soon for him.
    I've tried to give Degen a chance but he hasnt convinced anytime I've seen him - he doesn't look like a natural defender and I don't think he is strong enough for the PL. Carra,Skrtel,Masch are all a drop down in quality for RB and there is the fact that if they are moved it most likely means the replacement in their position would be a drop down in quality or lead to players being played out of position. As for Spearing as RB - really bad idea.

If Arbeloa and Dossena both do go a utility defender would not be a bad shout. I would be more concerned about cover for the full-back positions than for the CB as I would be reasonablly ok with Kelly/San Jose as
    4th choice CB

On why Arbeloa wants to go to Real - there was talk about his missus being unsettled as well as the fact that he was a Real Madrid youth player.
    Personally I would favour Arbeloa over Ramos as RB for Real.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point.

He's never looked particularly good defensively anytime I've watched him but surely if Arbeloa is a better player he'd be ahead of Ramos internationally or is there a certain amount of Madrid favouritism keeping him out?

Arbeloa have played quite a bit for Spain in the last year. Don't have stats but has played a substanial amount of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

If Arbeloa does leave I'm a bit curious as to why. Does he feel that it'll be easier to dislodge Sergio Ramos from the Real Madrid first team rather than Glen Johnson from Liverpool's or is he another one who's family haven't settled?

I did feel at times last season that he would have benefitted from having competiton for his place (well, more competition than a broken Degen) as he seemed to coast through a few games (especially the West Brom game where Carragher had a go at him). Now that the competition has arrived he wants out?

His other half has been unhappy for a year now.
    He's just gotten married.
    He went through the Madrid youth system, and may feel he has a point to prove there as he only recieved 2 senior caps.
    He might be homesick.
    He and Carra could have problems.
    He's a Madrid fan IIRC.

etc

etc

etc

mike65 wrote: »

Pay up or shut up Real.

Nice to see Arbeloa backing Benitez, even if he does hope to move to Real.

Fingers crossed Real won't pay up for Alonso and the Arbeloa deal falls through as a result :)

Arbeloa joined Real when he was 16 and left for Deportivo in 2006 - so he roughly spent 6/7 years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Does anyone else find it worrying that we have only bought one first team player so far. Rafa spoke of buying early so that they would get a full pre-season. I thought with him having full control of transfers this would have happened.

This worry is strenghted when the only players we are linked with are players to replace existing first team players. At least United & Arsenal are looking the same. It's gonna be a funny auld season

Does anyone else find it worrying that we have only bought one first team player so far. Rafa spoke of buying early so that they would get a full pre-season. I thought with him having full control of transfers this would have happened.

This worry is strenghted when the only players we are linked with are players to replace existing first team players. At least United & Arsenal are looking the same. It's gonna be a funny auld season

City the only team buying really in fairness.

A lot depends on Alonso outcome of course.

Not really that bothered considering we had a fairly good year last time out.

The whole transfer window was thrown into chaos by Madrid and Man City due to the money they can throw around and so teams are now quoting outrageous prices.

If Liverpool keep Alonso and Mascherano and don't buy anyone else, I will be extremely happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I've tried to give Degen a chance but he hasnt convinced anytime I've seen him - he doesn't look like a natural defender and I don't think he is strong enough for the PL.

To be fair to Degen he has only played a few pre season games and maybe 1 or 2 competitive games because of injury. To judge him on that is unfair. I would be worried also though if he had to be a long term solution due to injury but as a backup i think he can do a job for us, as long as he stays fit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

aaronh007 wrote: »
    If Liverpool keep Alonso and Mascherano and don't buy anyone else, I will be extremely happy.

So would I. But I'm still suprised we haven't gone for another striker. Early days yet I suppose. The return of Vorinin doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I don't think he will do spend a large chunk of change of anyone until the Alonso crap is sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Brian Meade, in the Mirror.

Real Madrid's sporting director Miguel Pardeza is livid.
    He "cannot understand" why Liverpool are asking £35million or "more than we are willing to pay" for Xavi Alonso.
    Well, it might just be that Alonso has years left on his contract. Or that Real have distorted transfer fees out of all proportion, are desperate to sign a top Spanish player and Pardeza himself admits there is no one else on the market with Alonso's playmaking skills.
    But I'd like to think Rafa Benitez might deliver Senator Pat Geary's speech from Godfather II, when Michael Corleone asked why his family should have to pay more than they want to in a deal.
    "Because I intend to squeeze you. I don't like your kind of people. I don't like to see you come here with your oily hair, dressed up in those silk suits, trying to pass yourselves off as decent. I'll do business with you, but the fact is I despise your masquerade, the dishonest way you pose yourself and your whole freakin' family."
    If so, he'll speak for everyone in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Arbeloa has joined Madrid for €4m.

Links below from AS and Marca seem to confirm Arbeloa has signed for Real.:(

The only good news is that it doesn't seem to be any part of a deal for Xabi

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/futbol-madrid-hace-oficial-hoy/dasftb/20090729dasdaiftb_31/Tes

http://www.marca.com/2009/07/28/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1248810060.html

Reserves win 1-0

Also the U-18s drew 2-2 with Milwall - LDV scored both.
    BRUNA MAGIC SEALS CAMBRIDGE WIN

Steve Hunter 28 July 2009
    A superb free-kick from Argentine starlet Gerardo Bruna earned a John McMahon managed Liverpool XI a 1-0 win at Cambridge United on Tuesday night.
    The former Real Madrid youth player came off the bench and curled home a trademark set piece.

Summer signing Chris Mavinga made his first start for the club and played the full 90 minutes at centre half alongside Spaniard Daniel Ayala. The French defender, who made his debut as a second half substitute during Friday's outing at Tranmere, is equally comfortable at centre half and left back.

McMahon made a whole host of changes on the night and Academy products Nathan Eccleston and Adam Hammill gave lively displays.

Swedish starlet Alex Kacaniklic made his first start of pre-season since graduating from the Academy to Melwood during the summer and he had his moments on the left wing during a 60 minute run-out.

The U's welcomed their new boss Martin Ling who was paraded to the crowd before the kick-off.

Dutch striker Jordy Brouwer had some good openings in the first half but came out second best in a duel with the Cambridge stopper.

The introduction of Bruna, Eccleston and Hammill changed the game in the second half as Liverpool's youngsters turned on the style.

McMahon was delighted with the attitude and application of his young team and he told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It was a pleasing performance and we played some good football.

"Gerardo does strike a good ball from a free-kick and funny enough he scored three of them in training yesterday, so it was nice to see his work pay off on the night.

"Mavinga played his first 90 minutes for us and did well. He is a very athletic lad and he took up some good positions at the back for us."

A Liverpool XI are next in action on Friday night when they visit Notts County, who have former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson on their staff. Kick-off at Meadow Lane is at 7.45pm BST.

Liverpool team: David Martin (Martin Hansen 45), Stephen Darby (Emmanuel Mendy 60), Steven Irwin (Christopher Buchtmann 45), Daniel Ayala, Chris Mavinga, Victor Palsson (captain) (Adam Hammill 45), Ryan Crowther (Nikola Saric 60), Vincent Weijl (Vitor Flora 45), Jordy Brouwer (Nathan Eccleston 60), Andras Simon, Alex Kacaniklic (Gerardo Bruna 60).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

rarnes1 wrote: »
    City the only team buying really in fairness.

A lot depends on Alonso outcome of course.

Or maybe hes waiting on a takeover to be finalised so he can spend spend spend......

We can all dream:)

From the offical site
    Arbeloa gone.:(
    Best of luck lad.
    LIVERPOOL AGREE ARBELOA TRANSFER
    Paul Eaton 29 July 2009

Liverpool today confirmed they have reached agreement with Real Madrid for the transfer of Alvaro Arbeloa to the La Liga side.
    A Liverpool spokesman said: "We have agreed a fee with Real Madrid for the transfer of the player, subject to him completing a medical."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165227090729-1025.htm

Fernando Torres has warned Liverpool not to sell compatriot Xabi Alonso.
    "It would be a bad piece of work if Xabi left," Torres told some red top newspaper.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5459194,00.html

To add to MementoMori's post
    Reports from Spain are suggesting Liverpool defender Alvaro Arbeloa has passed his medical at Real Madrid. An announcement is expected imminently.
    SSN

Thanks for the quote from the s*n.

If I could roll that post into a ball and fire it into the bin I would.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quote from the s*n.

If I could roll that post into a ball and fire it into the bin I would.

LOL I didn't even notice that bit at the end - I took it from SSN!

Fixed the post for ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why is Torres talking to The Sin?

Des wrote: »

He's not. They hear him saying something to a group of reporters and take it as their own. That's what the S*n do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Des wrote: »

Because he's going to be the player manager of Mansea Madrid, playing for united and chelsea, while simultaneously managing the admirable Real Madrid. He just hates liverpool fans so much, especially the board.ie liverpool fans that he feels he has to try and destroy us.

Or something to do with journalists being lazy, same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I don't think it's even a fresh quote. Here's what Torres said in an interview on the 30th June:
    I have to think of Xabi’s well-being above all. He’s quite a hermit in some ways. The truth is that I don’t really know what’s going on inside his head. He has three years left on his contract and I would like him to stay with us, he would be a grave loss.

And here's what the S*n has him saying 'yesterday':
    "He plays his cards close to his chest so I don't know what is going to happen.

"I'd put Xabi's own wishes ahead of everything else, of course, but he's got three years left on his contract with us and I'd love it if he stays.

"It would be a serious loss for Liverpool if he left this summer."

They've just moved the words around, lying scumbags that they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Well that's Arby gone then
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8174135.stm
    Reds and Real agree Arbeloa fee

Liverpool have agreed a fee with Real Madrid to sell right-back Alvaro Arbeloa to the Spanish club.

The move is subject to a medical and worth about £3.5m to the Reds who signed the 26-year-old for £2.6m from Deportivo la Coruna in January 2007.

Spain international Arbeloa had one year left on his Liverpool deal and could have left for free next summer.

Defender Glen Johnson's arrival at Anfield this summer paved the way for boss Rafael Benitez to sell Arbeloa.

Switzerland international Philipp Degen is also fit again after rib and lung injuries and another option for Benitez at right-back.

More to follow.

Thanks to Arbeloa for his service to LFC.

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_5459560,00.html
    SSN have their shaky-hands symbol beside it, so done deal.

Thanks Arby, been a decent player for us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arby leaving feels like a project that wasn't quite developed fully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for your fine service Arby.

mike65 wrote: »
    Arby leaving feels like a project that wasn't quite developed fully.

Yeah, I dunno. I was never a huge fan of him. Was a decent full back, but certainly not one that was irreplaceable. I suppose he stepped into big shoes with Finnan leaving, so maybe that's an unfair critique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Good luck to Alvaro, he certainly had his moments with the highlight for me being watching him and Pennant working together brilliantly to stun Jose's Chelsea 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,311 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah, I dunno. I was never a huge fan of him. Was a decent full back, but certainly not one that was irreplaceable. I suppose he stepped into big shoes with Finnan leaving, so maybe that's an unfair critique.

decent footballer, came on a lot but ultimately one area of the team that could and now has been improved by a tangible degree (in my opinion)

thanks for the memories and good luck at madrid, not sure it will work out for him there but we will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Sad to see him go. He was a great signing at £2.6m, and if Real have any sense I think he'll do well there, but that's a big 'if'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think he's a bit of a loss really. Players like him are underrated and vital to any squad. The cover he provided across the back 4 was invaluable and Madrid have a bargain for £3.5 million

Fair play to Al.
    You did a great job for us, and I'm sure you'll get to school Messi on a more regular basis now.
    Sad to see him leave, but happy with the way he went.

On a side note, I could see him coming back in a few years.
    He's burnt no bridges, ad would be welcomed back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks for your fine service Arby.

Why is everyone talking like this, its not like he's gonna read this thread :pac:

Personally i wont be crying that he's gone, he was an ok player.

slingerz wrote: »
    I think he's a bit of a loss really. Players like him are underrated and vital to any squad. The cover he provided across the back 4 was invaluable and Madrid have a bargain for £3.5 million

+1

3.5 is a steal. worth at least double in the current market imo. sad to see a good player leaving.

Why is everyone talking like this, its not like he's gonna read this thread :pac:

Personally i wont be crying that he's gone, he was an ok player.

You’ll be crying when Johnson is injured for a big game and you look at the alternatives.
    He was a fine player, and versatile too, which we’ll miss.
    My dad hates him and berates him at every opportunity for no apparent reason. I always leap to his defense, and like with Lucas, it’s made me feel quite attached to him. Sad to see him go.

Because we want to express our gratitude to a player who's done us a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Morzadec wrote: »
    3.5 is a steal. worth at least double in the current market imo.
    Yea... don't see anyone from Madrid calling Liverpool "out of touch with reality" regarding this deal. I'm more annoyed that we've dealt with Madrid at all than I am about the fee (which is realistic given he had just 1 year left on his contract).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

You’ll be crying when Johnson is injured for a big game and you look at the alternatives.
    He was a fine player, and versatile too, which we’ll miss.
    My dad hates him and berates him at every opportunity for no apparent reason. I always leap to his defense, and like with Lucas, it’s made me feel quite attached to him. Sad to see him go.

Carragher feels the same. He's lucky Alonso held him back!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement