Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Because we want to express our gratitude to a player who's done us a service.

Yeh but why address it to him is what i'm saying, he's not gonna read it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Carragher feels the same. He's lucky Alonso held him back!

Carragher deserved a slap for his antics that day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Yeh but why address it to him is what i'm saying, he's not gonna read it here.

Why bother sitting at home in a Liverpool jersey watching the match? The players won't see you there.

Why bother discussing transfers or anything here at all? Rafa won't take on board your suggestions.

Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

I am guessing that people are posing Arbeloa messages here for other Liverpool fans to read in order to have a record here that he was an appreciated player among supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Because we want to express our gratitude to a player who's done us a service.
    Not sure about all the gratitude either. He did fine, not as good as Finnan nor as good as Johnson, but did his best. Had a couple of mares and a couple of great games, and for the most part was just steady. Got well paid for his services, and I wouldnt be giving him a tip!

I wonder did he turn down a new contract in an effort to engineer a move or was he just not offered one?

I don't begrudge him either way, and I'm sure he'll do fine at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I think it's best we ignore Fink everything he says always seems to me to be angled to get a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

My dad hates him and berates him at every opportunity for no apparent reason.
    Maybe yer dad has a reason?
    I always leap to his defense, and like with Lucas, it’s made me feel quite attached to him. Sad to see him go.
    1.Why?
    2.There not footbaling grounds for liking him
    Not sure about all the gratitude either. He did fine, not as good as Finnan nor as good as Johnson, but did his best. Had a couple of mares and a couple of great games, and for the most part was just steady. Got well paid for his services, and I wouldnt be giving him a tip!

I wonder did he turn down a new contract in an effort to engineer a move or was he just not offered one?

I don't begrudge him either way, and I'm sure he'll do fine at Madrid.

If he was playing for Manu a lot of the fanboys would be quick to see flaws in his game:eek:

He was alright, good at times, not so at others

thanks for what ya did, enjoy yer life on the madrid bench :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thought he was one of the leagues top full backs to be honest. crap to see him leave for pittance. remember the day after he signed for us he was thrown into the fray against barca and kept ronaldinho on some leash for that game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

In fairness to arbeloa, he did all that could be asked of a player who was bought for pennies. Degen was no support at all and arbeloa played a hell of alot of games.

I found it mildly disturbing that a player like carragher would tear into him at west brom. What was the point of that?........carragher actively expressed his unwillingness to play at right back versus united, eventually being 'persuaded' to play there on the day. Hardly the behaviour i would associate with any liverpool 'legend' on either count.

Id also like to point out as exhibit 'A', our right back options at boro last season when arbeloa was out, skyrtel had an absolute mare there and mascherano finished up there. It was like an episode of fawlty towers that day.

Arbeloa is no genius footballer but he did play his part considering the severe lack of options. Its becoming all the more clearer why benitez paid the upper end of johnsons worth. Degen needs to get his arse in gear or be given a one way ticket to zurich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Carragher feels the same. He's lucky Alonso held him back!

Carra would be a thug if he wasn't a footballer so that doesn't really mean much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

A lot of Arbeloa's shortcomings were highlighted by the fact that he played with Kuyt.
    Arbeloa doesn't have Johnson's pace to take advantage of Kuyt's incuts.
    Arbeloa would suit an out and out winger more.

I'll miss him as he was very reliable, very well mannered on and off the pitch, and popped up out of nowhere at times with vital passes.

He was neat and tidy, and you always knew what you were gonna get with him.
    Nothing spectacular, but steady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Carra would be a thug if he wasn't a footballer so that doesn't really mean much.

Because nobody ever had handbags with their teammates during a match before... :rolleyes:

Teammates have scuffles ALL the time, especially professionals, you keep that intensity up for 9-10 months and if you think someone isn't pullin there weight, then by god are you gonna let them know!

thebhoy wrote: »
    Because nobody ever had handbags with their teammates during a match before... :rolleyes:

Teammates have scuffles ALL the time, especially professionals, you keep that intensity up for 9-10 months and if u think someone isn't pullin there weight, then by god are you gonna let them know!

I don't believe I mentioned anything that you mentioned?

Why is everyone talking like this, its not like he's gonna read this thread :pac:

No but torresistheman might tell him so sussshhhhh. :D

elshambo wrote: »
    1.Why?
    2.There not footbaling grounds for liking him

I defended him because i liked him for footballing reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think thats a bit harsh.

• Advertisement

Not everybody from a working class background is a "thug"!

Thats a bit harsh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

GTFO.

Good luck Arby, he was a great servant.

Tbh, I'll be surprised if he lasts more then a year at Madrid.

spockety wrote: »
    Why bother sitting at home in a Liverpool jersey watching the match? The players won't see you there.

Why bother discussing transfers or anything here at all? Rafa won't take on board your suggestions.

Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

I am guessing that people are posing Arbeloa messages here for other Liverpool fans to read in order to have a record here that he was an appreciated player among supporters.

Its a bit different from saying thanks Arbeloa for your service like he's here! Its like me saying.
    Hi Rafa how are you today? weathers nice isnt it.

Anyway i wont be as glad to see him go as i will Dossena

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think thats a bit harsh.
    Not everybody from a working class background is a "thug"!
    Thats a bit harsh!
    Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    GTFO.

It might be a little harsh but he is a bit of a scumbag. I am saying that despite him being one of my favourite players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I really hope Sneijder isnt part of the Xabi deal. If he was I think Liverpool would be in a better overall position what with the money and him coming in.

It might be a little harsh but he is a bit of a scumbag. I am saying that despite him being one of my favourite players.

I am not sure if you have his book,if you read it you would no he is far from a scumbag he may give 110% on the pitch but he is far from a scumbag off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Aren't 95% of footballers books ghost written and edited to hell? A biography is often a much better indication of a persons character as its usually just the facts, less opinion, and no agenda to be pushed. I would take any footballers auto biography with a mountain of salt.

Kirby wrote: »
    Aren't 95% of footballers books ghost written and edited to hell? A biography is often a much better indication of a persons character.
    Not Carra's, though he did have a co-writer.

One of the best footballing bios in a long time.

Kirby wrote: »
    Aren't 95% of footballers books ghost written and edited to hell?

Yes they are,I don't normally read footballers books but Carraghers one was super and he is very candidin it.Its much better then the normal football book.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Why is everyone talking like this, its not like he's gonna read this thread :pac:

Personally i wont be crying that he's gone, he was an ok player.

Why not speak like this?
    Its called figure of speech :)

He was more valuable than you realise, often breaking up very dangerous attacks and actually quite good going forward.

3.5 mill is an absolute bargain for Real.

As I said, just because he comes from a working class part of a working class city, doesn't mean he's a thug or a scumbag.

I mean, it wasn't him in the dock last week, now was it?

He's never been in trouble, and from reading his book, I get the impression that with the exception of a few schuffles and the like, his dad wouldn't have let him get in any.

As I said, just because he comes from a working class part of a working class city, doesn't mean he's a thug or a scumbag.

I mean, it wasn't him in the dock last week, now was it?

He's never been in trouble, and from reading his book, I get the impression that with the exception of a few schuffles and the like, his dad wouldn't have let him get in any.

He was found innocent

He was found innocent

But yet Carra is guilty without even an accusation?

(I'm not saying you called him a thug BTW)

Yeh there's no proof of him being a thug, that incident on the pitch was just because he's so passionate about his club and his football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeh there's no proof of him being a thug, that incident on the pitch was just because he's so passionate about his club and his football.

That thing on the pitch was embarrasing and in no way should be confused with passion.

Doesn't make him a thug though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The on-pitch altercation between Carragher and Arbeloa occurred during the West Brom game last season. Liverpool were 2:0 up but I remember Arbeloa having a pretty poor game. I reckon he was already thinking of his summer holiday :). The incident in the video below wasn't the first half-hearted attempted clearance that Arbeloa made during the game. While he shouldn't have started shoving, I think Carragher was right to tell him to cop himself on. Conceding a goal to an all but relegated West Brom team wouldn't have helped Reina with the Golden Gloves award either.

It was just his passion for the game added with frustration of arbeloa f*cking up!

malice_ wrote: »
    The on-pitch altercation between Carragher and Arbeloa occurred during the West Brom game last season. Liverpool were 2:0 up but I remember Arbeloa having a pretty poor game. I reckon he was already thinking of his summer holiday :). The incident in the video below wasn't the first half-hearted attempted clearance that Arbeloa made during the game. While he shouldn't have started shoving, I think Carragher was right to tell him to cop himself on. Conceding a goal to an all but relegated West Brom team wouldn't have helped Reina with the Golden Gloves award either.

There was 2 on Arbelo and he did well to get the block in from a good deep cross, also it looks to be Carragher tackled him from behind too which is even more impressive, if anything Carragher was running around not knowing what to do. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Boggles wrote: »
    There was 2 on Arbelo and he did well to get the block in from a good deep cross, also it looks to be Carragher tackled him from behind too which is even more impressive, if anything Carragher was running around not knowing what to do. :eek:
    As the cross comes over Arbeloa does a poor attempt to clear the ball. If he had been closer to Fortune he'd have stood a better chance of cutting out the cross or challenging Fortune properly.

Carragher comes in behind Arbeloa because Fortune has controlled the ball and is about to get a shot away. Would you have preferred him to stay where he was? As it happened Arbeloa got a block on the shot but had he not, Carragher was there thankfully.

As the cross comes over Arbeloa does a poor attempt to clear the ball. If he had been closer to Fortune he'd have stood a better chance of cutting out the cross or challenging Fortune properly.

Carragher comes in behind Arbeloa because Fortune has controlled the ball and is about to get a shot away. Would you have preferred him to stay where he was? As it happened Arbeloa got a block on the shot but had he not, Carragher was there thankfully.

Carragher should have stayed where he was, because the ball Fortune should have played was the roll back.

Also in that clip Alonso was ball watching, why wasn't he assaulted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

What carragher did that day was a total embarassment. He took a holier than thou attitude like he has never made a mistake in his career.

Can we just imagine for a second if the roles were reversed?......lets use a hypothetical situation, where carra dived in with all the grace of a blind rhino at west ham in the 92nd minute to give away a penalty like i remember not so fondly. Does it give any of the other players the right to do what carra did?

Calling carra a thug is ludicrous, calling him unproffesional on this occasion is completely fair, doesnt matter who they are, what accent they have or how many games they have played for the club.

Arbeloa covered the whole pitch on the right last season and its understandable that tiredness would come into his game. Carragher by comparison does not, and never has, covered the ground on a similar scale. Carragher had a 'brain fart' and a severe lack of judgement in squaring up to arbeloa. Arbeloa may have had a poor game but it was a distinct lack of class to get in his face over it. Never seen anything like it in 30 years as a red from my team. Carra should have been taken down a peg or two by benitez for that, infact im pretty sure he would have had a few words and all parties would have learned from it and moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Carragher should have stayed where he was, because the ball Fortune should have played was the roll back.

Alonso was covering the space in the middle.

Arbeloa should have gotten a head to the ball, and made sure of the clearance first time - it wasn't that hard a ball to deal with, but he made a half arsed jump in the air for some reason instead. His mind wasn't in it at that stage.

Carra's reaction was way over the top though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Drama queens..Alonso was guarding the middle, plus I think Arbeloa did well to get in and block that ball.. Carra just going off on one.

• Advertisement

Drama queens..Alonso was guarding the back post, plus I think Arbeloa did well to get in and block that ball.. Carra just going off on one.

Was that not Agger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

yeah changed my post after watching again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Arbeloa was badly out of position for the first ball
    and was making a half ar**d effort to get back
    did that a few times during that game and in general his positioning when not 100% on his game tended towards poor
    plus I think Arbeloa did well to get in and block that ball.. Carra just going off on one.
    :o
    er...NO imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Dyer and Bowyer at Newcastle was better.

Al and Carra was more like handbags, Dyer and Bowyer was proper in-your-face stuff

Not that I condone violence in anyway..... ;)

Will be sad to see Al go cos I remember watching his debut for us against Barça thinking Rafa had lost it sticking him (a right footer) at LB against Barça of all teams... But he man marked Messi better than any player had/has ever ever done. Quality job that night from him.

Not one for the spectacular, though when he scored they were always peaches, he was a good, solid player who rarely got the praise he deserved for breaking up attacks and he also did a solid job when he pushed on, giving Kuyt the opportunity to cut inside, and he added his fair share of assists.

Carragher had a right to go at him - everyone knows Carragher gives 100% every game despite it's importance and if the players around him aren't they'll know about it. And he had Pepe's clean sheet award in mind as well.

Carragher had a right to go at him - everyone knows Carragher gives 100% every game despite it's importance and if the players around him aren't they'll know about it. And he had Pepe's clean sheet award in mind as well.

He had no right at all. Arbeloa was always a team player and didn't deserve that. In the dressing room maybe, but not to be humiliated like that. It was disgraceful.
    Carragher made plenty of mistakes last season and wasn't attacked for it. Didn't he also complain about being made play RB?

• Advertisement

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5459942,00.html

Hillsborough documents to be released. The families will get to see them first. Good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Didn't see this posted with all the Carra nonsense, but anyway:

Arbeloa Passes medical
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5459959,00.html

Carragher made plenty of mistakes last season and wasn't attacked for it.

No doubt he ****ed himself off in his head, and was determined to make up for it.

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5459942,00.html

Hillsborough documents to be released. The families will get to see them first. Good news.

Great, great, news.

Don't agree at all to be honest.
    He had every right to shout and reprimand, but no right to lay hands.

He'd have been sent off, and rightly so, for doing that to an opponent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement