Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

daithijjj wrote: »
    Never seen anything like it in 30 years as a red from my team.

I definitely recall a few bitch slaps between grobelaar and mcmanaman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Goodbye Arbeloa, hopefully you wont take Alonso with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That match was just after man utd drew with arsenal, thus winning the league, there was a lot of tension from liverpool in that game.

I remember torres being very tempermental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

thebhoy wrote: »
    I definitely recall a few bitch slaps between grobelaar and mcmanaman.

On the rare occasions that i have caught macca on setanta i have every sympathy with how grobelaar felt :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I have no sympathy at all for Grobelaar after his antics a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I have no sympathy at all for Grobelaar after his antics a few months ago.

Must have missed that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He was supposed to speak at an Irish Kop do but he pulled out to do Celebrity Hells Kitchen, leaving the IK guys in the lurch.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Must have missed that?

He arranged to appear at a fundraiser in Dublin, for Anne Williams Hope For Hillsborough fund.
    He was to be well paid by all accounts.
    He dropped out at the last minute (only about a weeks warning), to do I'm a celebrity cook my dinner thing, or whatever it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

That was probably more to do with his booking agent than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

He was supposed to speak at an Irish Kop do but he pulled out to do Celebrity Hells Kitchen, leaving the IK guys in the lurch.
    He arranged to appear at a fundraiser in Dublin, for Anne Williams Hope For Hillsborough fund.
    He was to be well paid by all accounts.
    He dropped out at the last minute (only about a weeks warning), to do I'm a celebrity cook my dinner thing, or whatever it was.

Ok folks, was out of the country, didn't realise.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

That was probably more to do with his booking agent than him.

I can assure you it was not,I was on the organizing committee.We have done a few of these over the years and Grobelaar was the first one to ever ask for a contract to be done up,we said fine got one done up and all party's signed it.He then got a better offer and fcuked off to ITV.Remember he was in goal the day of Hillsborough.

Anyway Big Ron Yates and Phil Neal steeped in at short notice and we had a great raising well over 15k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In other keeper news, the boy Mihaylov done well tonight for Twente in a CL qualifier.

First choice keeper gave away a penalty and got sent off in an away game against Sporting Lisbon after about 22 mins. Mihaylov came off the bench to save the penalty. Apparently made a couple of other decent saves as well to earn Twente an away draw with ten men. Fingers crossed he builds on this and at the very least he will be making an apperance or two while the first choice keeper serves his red card ban.

Link to peno below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiimsPH2Uo

Phil and Ron were excelent too.
    They looked like they loved every minute of it, and really added to the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

On the subject of Grobbelaar, that whole match-fixing thingy has always tarnished what he had done at Liverpool imo.
    I know he was never found guilty, but later he lost what he was rewarded at the time in costs and also had to pay legal costs.

Arbeloa leaving, not a huge loss, we got a better replacement in.
    When Finnan was sold to Espanyol, I felt it was a bigger loss at the time.

Anywho, this morning's rags, from the beeb;
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is keen to add more English players to his squad and is preparing a £12m bid for Wigan midfielder Lee Cattermole and will offer Hull £5.5m for defender Michael Turner.
    Full story: Daily Mail

However, any deal for Cattermole and Turner is dependent on the sale of Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid but the clubs are close to a £30m deal for the 27-year-old.
    Full story: Daily Mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

xabi alonso
    > cattermole???

please, the thought of that is making me ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Daily Mail, Daily Fail. Not sure they have ever been accuate in transfer stories.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I like Cattermole, with the experience he has, for the age he is, and being english he could be a great signing.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I like Cattermole, with the experience he has, for the age he is, and being english he could be a great signing.

Looks ok but not in the same league as Alonso.

I think Lucus > Cattermole.

Maybe so but it doesn't mean they are anymore right :)

To illustrate how bad things are getting on Alonso-Watch, on RAWK "Xabi took Easyjet to Madrid" thread someone mentions that thier girlfreinds sister (or something like that) knows Mrs Alonso a bit and the last time they met she didn't sound like woman preparing to return to Spain.

Straw!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe so but it doesn't mean they are anymore right :)

To illustrate how bad things are getting on Alonso-Watch, on RAWK "Xabi took Easyjet to Madrid" thread someone mentions that thier girlfreinds sister (or something like that) knows Mrs Alonso a bit and the last time they met she didn't sound like woman preparing to return to Spain.

Straw!

ffs, that's almost as bad as Livertweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Daily Mail seem to have an agenda all of their own when reporting on Liverpool. I can think of a raft of ridiculous transfer stories involving Liverpool players over the past couple of seasons. As for Rafa being after Cattermole and Turner I'd have my doubts. Its the silly season. An agent wants a move for his player, he plants a story with a journalist who is scratching around for a story because there is nothing really going on.

Finally, I'm glad. Well not glad obviously but it was needed if he was going. Now the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Finally, I'm glad. Well not glad obviously but it was needed if he was going. Now the price.

.................and/or Real player as part of the deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Please just get this over with. I’m sad to see Xabi leaving.
    However, I am excited to see who we can replace him with.

Xabi handing in a transfer request can only drive the price down. It gives Real Madrid the upper hand.

mercenary.

i'm sorry but he is.

the guy is a fantastic player; a lynchpin in a liverpool team that has its best chance in years of winning the holy grail. and he leaves?

as i say, mercenary to the almighty euro.

i know it's modern football and all but still...

i hope he fails miserably, and even more so, i hope barcelona batter the holy f*ck out of madrid next year.

lucky to get 25m off them now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Xabi handing in a transfer request can only drive the price down. It gives Real Madrid the upper hand.

Transfer request or not we can still refuse to sell him, he still has a contract so it may not affect the price too much
    SlickRic wrote: »
    mercenary.

i'm sorry but he is.

the guy is a fantastic player; a lynchpin in a liverpool team that has its best chance in years of winning the holy grail. and he leaves?

i hope he fails miserably, and even more so, i hope barcelona batter the holy f*ck out of madrid next year.

I think the timing sucks from Liverpools point of view but I don't think Alonso is going for the money

• Advertisement

Pimpey wrote: »
    I think the timing sucks from Liverpools point of view but I don't think Alonso is going for the money

oh i know.

i'm unashamedly bitter though.

deadhead13 wrote: »

Not necessarily,also he now does not get a cut from the fee.

mercenary.

i'm sorry but he is.

cop on, he's been a great player for us and gave us 5 years service. Best of luck to him. I can't f*cking stand that attitude to players who dare leave Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not necessarily,also he now does not get a cut from the fee.

Can he not be told shove his transfer request up his hole?

Or does a club have to give it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mercenary.

i'm sorry but he is.

Thats an unbelievable thing to say imo.

He has given your lot 5 good years, and was amazing for you last season despite Liverpool making it quite clear they didn't want him any more. The only reason he didn't go is because liverpool couldn't squeeze enough cash out of Juve. Now that he has found a club that he wants to go to (and who are willing to pay way more than Liverpool were looking for last summer) he is a merc?

Pathetic.

Boggles wrote: »

yeah - the club can reject his request, but it shows he wants to leave which means he doesn't get a cut of the fee from liverpool now (if the deal goes through)

No he's under contract for 3 years with us. We can keep him if we choose to.

cop on, he's been a great player for us and gave us 5 years service. Best of luck to him. I can't f*cking stand that attitude to players who dare leave Liverpool

why should i want him to succeed at madrid? who in all of football wants them to do well this year apart from their fans?

sorry for being a football fan and being bitter about a fine player leaving for football's poison. :rolleyes:

ffs.

AFAIk it doesn't have to, but I'm fairly sure it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No he's under contract for 3 years with us. We can keep him if we choose to.

So he has just told the club what they already know but in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:(

Terrible terrible shame but ce la vie; i hope he does well at RM if he does go.

Maybe he'll change his mind...

Yep, cos Rafa did not want to be painted as forcing him out. Its all Xabis doing.

yeah - and being in writing, that saves liverpool a couple of million that he would have been due before handing it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,311 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He has given your lot 5 good years, and was amazing for you last season despite Liverpool making it quite clear they didn't want him any more. The only reason he didn't go is because liverpool couldn't squeeze enough cash out of Juve. Now that he has found a club that he wants to go to (and who are willing to pay way more than Liverpool were looking for last summer) he is a merc?

Pathetic.

nice bit of stirring there mitch, all of this has been explained to you before :rolleyes:

im sure plenty of united fans said the same about ronaldo

anyway if he wants to go let him go, however his timing sucks

why should i want him to succeed at madrid? who in all of football wants them to do well this year apart from their fans?

sorry for being a football fan and being bitter about a fine player leaving for football's poison. :rolleyes:

ffs.

ffs.

You don’t have to want him to succeed at Madrid. But understand the reasons he is leaving and don’t call him a mercenary.

Real Madrid are the biggest and most successful club in European history. They’ve just signed Kaka, Ronaldo and Benzema. They are based in Xabi’s home country. If you can’t see the attraction . . .

He always gave his all at Liverpool and deserves respect from the fans.

5 years service.
    Many great performances.
    2 goals from his own half (or was it 3?)
    Goal in Istanbul
    15-20 million profit.
    Thanks you very much Xabi.

Yep, cos Rafa did not want to be painted as forcing him out. Its all Xabis doing.

It is both of them, in reality.

If Rafa hadn't tried so hard to sell him last summer then he may have been happier to stay this summer. I think the actions of last summer are a big factor in him wanting to leave this summer.

He can be told he is not moving alright but I never agree with this is you get a good offer for a player,there is no point in keeping a player who does not want to be at your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I know it's the Echo but how reliable is this James Pearce chap? Not seeing it on any other big sites yet.

fair enough.

my reaction is way over the top, so apologies.

i still stand by the fact im allowed to be pi$$ed off about the whole thing. i've just come back from china and have not been up to date with stuff really. reading and hearing about everything in the football world has been a bit of a drag.

this official news just adds the icing to it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Best of luck Alonso.

Sorry to see him go but I'm sure we will find a good replacement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement