Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's been widley reported that we're in advanced negotiations with Roma for Aquilani, for somewhere in the region of £15-18 mill.

I'd be happy with that.
    He doesn't have Xabi's range of passing, but he can dictate the play in the same way.

the pace of the english game will totally expose aquilani like it did dossena, just trying to think of any recent italian players that have made it outside their own country, when cannavaro struggles in a foreign country it says alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

DeadSkin wrote: »
    ................he won't be wearing that number 7 shirt though.

It is on mine.

I bought the new away jersey with....

King Kenny
    ___7____

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the pace of the english game will totally expose aquilani like it did dossena, just trying to think of any recent italian players that have made it outside their own country, when cannavaro struggles in a foreign country it says alot

Off the top of my head, Zola but yeah i hear ya, they are a rare breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Zola? But I guess we're not comparing like with like.
    But I agree, Aquilani is a risk, in fairness to Alonso he isnt the quickest either, but has composure and skill to move the ball quickly when necessary. To be honest I havent seen enough of Aqiulani to make a judegment on him, or spell his name remotely correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have a feeling Aquilani might adjust well. He's a strong player, good on the ball, good feet, attack minded, and a decent passer.

The jump in pace from Italian to English top division is quite large, but if we get him early enough to get in a few pre-season games & training, I think he'll be just the ticket.

Sure he'll have Masch behind him to give him a good root to the ar$e if he needs it :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, Zola but yeah i hear ya, they are a rare breed.

zola wasn't recent though he joined chelsea in 1996, should have said since the italian league became sh*te :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

I have a feeling Aquilani might adjust well. He's a strong player, good on the ball, good feet, attack minded, and a decent passer.

The jump in pace from Italian to English top division is quite large, but if we get him early enough to get in a few pre-season games & training, I think he'll be just the ticket.

Sure he'll have Masch behind him to give him a good root to the ar$e if he needs it :)
    At the moment I think Aquilani is injured so if we were to buy him he wouldnt even be able to play until the season started.
    I like him though. Seems a good player but extremely injury prone

Just think about all the people who tlked about how Alonso couldn't adjust to the premiership pace.

zola wasn't recent though he joined chelsea in 1996, should have said since the italian league became sh*te :p

haha well thats a different story alright :)

Just think about all the people who tlked about how Alonso couldn't adjust to the premiership pace.

This so very true.

from the few times i have seen him i don't question that, but the amount of time and space he had on the ball in those games was ridiculous, he wouldn't get that in england, there will be a player snapping at his heels as soon as he receives the ball

alonso will be a huge loss, it pointless liverpool trying to replace the guy because you cannot really, the way liverpool play will now have to change to adapt to the loss of alonso more than vice versa

• Advertisement

when liverpool signed alonso first i remember the likes of utd and arsenal sniffing around prior to that, everybody knew this guy could do a job in england, he spoke the language, he had lived in ireland and played gaa as a teen so england wasn't going to phase him, signing alonso was a big coup at the time for liverpool

from the few times i have seen him i don't question that, but the amount of time and space he had on the ball in those games was ridiculous, he wouldn't get that in england, there will be a player snapping at his heels as soon as he receives the ball

alonso will be a huge loss, it pointless liverpool trying to replace the guy because you cannot really, the way liverpool play will now have to change to adapt to the loss of alonso more than vice versa

He was touted to move to England at a much younger age, but chose to stick with Roma. I've also seen him a couple of years ago for the Under 21's against England, and he impressed even then.

I think he is competent enough on the ball not to fall foul of having less time, and is strong enough to hold onto it should he be challenged.

We shall see, but I personally think he would be probably the best we could get to replace Alonso. Oh, the man can shoot too :)

And I dont think the system would have to change at all. Sure, he plays a little higher up the pitch usually than Alonso does, but I think he could slot in right in front of Masch.

when liverpool signed alonso first i remember the likes of utd and arsenal sniffing around prior to that, everybody knew this guy could do a job in england, he spoke the language, he had lived in ireland and played gaa as a teen so england wasn't going to phase him, signing alonso was a big coup at the time for liverpool

I was thinking more of last summer when people were suggesting that Alonso had been found out, and that he couldn' thandle the pace in England.

They were wrong.

Aquilani is a very strong and composed player.
    And He'll have Rafa to try an get the best out of him.
    If he comes, I'll see it as a posotive.
    He's no Alonso, but he would be a good aquisition.
    For instance, I'd be happy with Aquilanni and Silva/Young/Sneijder to replace Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I was thinking more of last summer when people were suggesting that Alonso had been found out, and that he couldn' thandle the pace in England.

They were wrong.

Aquilani is a very strong and composed player.
    And He'll have Rafa to try an get the best out of him.
    If he comes, I'll see it as a posotive.
    He's no Alonso, but he would be a good aquisition.
    For instance, I'd be happy with and Silva/Young/Sneijder to replace Alonso.

While I will not be a happy camper if Xabi goes, I do agree that a two player combo like what you mentioned would soften the blow.

Aquilani in the centre with a player like Lavezzi or Sneijder to the left of him would not be a bad choice. Plus the fact that players like Sneijder/Lavezzi/Silva can play in the AM or ST role (Lavezzi being the one that can play as a striker) would be a bonus.

Although my own preference would be to bring in a high class attacker for the left side and keep Xabi. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    While I will not be a happy camper if Xabi goes, I do agree that a two player combo like what you mentioned would soften the blow.

Aquilani in the centre with a player like Lavezzi or Sneijder to the left of him would not be a bad choice. Plus the fact that players like Sneijder/Lavezzi/Silva can play in the AM or ST role (Lavezzi being the one that can play as a striker) would be a bonus.

Although my own preference would be to bring in a high class attacker for the left side and keep Xabi. :D

Whats wrong with Riera on the left? I'd be happy to have Aquilani, and enough money in the kitty left over from Alonso going to get another top rated defender to be honest. We have attacking options out our ears at the moment; Yossi, Riera, Kuyt, Babel, Torres, Gerrard, NGog, the Vorinator, and young Pacheco & Nemeth can do a job for us.

So IMO, no need for another attacking player - they have all proved they can score goals, play the ball, and do a job, with really only Babel from the first squad yet to prove what he can do, and Voronin given a chance to impress.

The youngsters wil be fringe players of course, but I can see Pacheco & Nemeth making regular appearances form the bench at stages this season too, so more attacking options are really not required.

Whats wrong with Riera on the left? I'd be happy to have Aquilani, and enough money in the kitty left over from Alonso going to get another top rated defender to be honest. We have attacking options out our ears at the moment; Yossi, Riera, Kuyt, Babel, Torres, Gerrard, NGog, the Vorinator, and young Pacheco & Nemeth can do a job for us.

So IMO, no need for another attacking player - they have all proved they can score goals, play the ball, and do a job, with really only Babel from the first squad yet to prove what he can do, and Voronin given a chance to impress.

The youngsters wil be fringe players of course, but I can see Pacheco & Nemeth making regular appearances form the bench at stages this season too, so more attacking options are really not required.

I have picked the left because I think Kuyt is a definite starter next season and Torres/Gerrard should not be broken up, so that only leaves the left slot. I do feel that we need another attacking option that can approach the level that Torres and Gerrard can bring to the team.

I like Riera and think he is a good player, but if we end up needing to bed in a new central midfielder, then I would prefer to have a top class left sided attacker with him. Yes I know the attacker might need time to settle too but I do think that extra player who can force teams to put two men on him when he has the ball is what we need on that flank.

I don't really have confidence in the reserve players to step up this season, and whilst I would love to see Babel revert back to the player he seemed to be with Ajax, again I do not have much confidence in it happening.

I know it's only pre-sesaon, and means little, but Babel's looked sharp IMO.

I hope that transfers to his play once the league starts. I like Babel and I think he is the one that I had the highest hopes when we bought him as he was always the one that caught my eye watching him in Holland.

I would love to have my current lack of confidence in him thrown back in my face this season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The meaning you can take from it is probably around the same as the meaning you can take from the fact that so too has Voronin.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pre-season doesn't excuse your eyes being quite so rusty tbh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yeah, Babel’s been Ok so far. But he still looks like he can’t kick or control the ball a good 25% of the time.

Yeah, Babel’s been Ok so far. But he still looks like he can’t kick or control the ball a good 25% of the time.

I think 25% is being a little too fair tbh

Its his lack of vision that gets me, he has ability, but tries too hard, and, inevitably, loses the ball too often.

I'm willing to give him another chance, as he was excellent when he first came, but seemed to have a chip on his shoulder or something last season.

Voronin looks like he might be willing to try, and earn his place as 2nd striker. The loan spell has done him good, and boosted his confidence. I have some strange liking for him since he joined, I think he's better than most seem to give him credit for.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I hope that transfers to his play once the league starts. I like Babel and I think he is the one that I had the highest hopes when we bought him as he was always the one that caught my eye watching him in Holland.

I would love to have my current lack of confidence in him thrown back in my face this season.

I was a massive fan of him at Ajax myself.
    spockety wrote: »
    The meaning you can take from it is probably around the same as the meaning you can take from the fact that so too has Voronin.

;)

Well in fairness, Voronin was our best player in pre-season last year, and then went on to be Hertha's best player.

So I guess what I'm saying is that Babel will be Hertha's best player this year!:p
    Pre-season doesn't excuse your eyes being quite so rusty tbh ;)

I've never had the best eyesight. But he has looked sharper.
    Rafa was saying that Babel didn't really take a holiday this year, and spent the summer training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Babel’s problem is again going to be getting a run in the side. He just doesn’t retain possession well enough, compared to Kuyt, Riera and Benayoun. He does have pace which makes him a good impact player. But I can’t see him displacing Riera from our first choice XI. And while he may be better off up front I don’t even want to think about an injury to Torres so it’s difficult to see him getting much game time there either. It’s really unlikely he’ll be any more than a squad player. And he seems to be one of these players (like Owen was) who needs a run of games to get going. That’s an unfortunate set of circumstances, because he’s definitely got talent.

I struggle to think of a Pool player ever to frustrate me as much as Babel, obvious raw talent but rarely ever seen.
    Last chance saloon for him this season me thinks.
    Im sure it frustrates him even more,for his sake more than anything id love to see him improve.

• Advertisement

My hope for Babel lies off the field.

His first too seasons were supposed to be very tough for him, and I hope that more stability will help him progress.
    He was supposed to have had issues with being away from his family and church (raised very religously it seems).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

My hope for Babel lies off the field.

His first too seasons were supposed to be very tough for him, and I hope that more stability will help him progress.
    He was supposed to have had issues with being away from his family and church (raised very religously it seems).

lolz :D

Boggles wrote: »

Just what's been reported.
    He is an intriguing character. Babel is 22 next month, but you could easily think he was younger. He has a boyish, slightly buck-toothed smile and you want to put an arm round him when he explains how, before moving to Liverpool, he had never lived away from his parents and how, 16 months in, he is still trying to find a church where he feels totally comfortable. Babel often carries a copy of the Bible and has a routine before every match where he finds a quiet spot for his prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I don't quite understand why you find his religiousness funny as quite a good amount of players are highly religious, the South Americans in particular.

It's just something he was raised by, and has a deep amount of respect for his faith.

On the subject of Babel, I feel he will step up this season, like Lucas will.

And does anyone else think that Rafa hasn't signed another striker so that he can utilise Babel in that position this season? He said it himself quite a few times that he sees himself as a striker rather than a winger...

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I don't quite understand why you find his religiousness funny as quite a good amount of players are highly religious, the South Americans in particular.

It's just something he was raised by, and has a deep amount of respect for his faith.

And does anyone else think that Rafa hasn't signed another striker so that he can utilise Babel in that position this season? He said it himself quite a few times that he sees himself as a striker rather than a winger...

I think Babel has to prove a lot before I'd trust him as understudy to Torres.
    I think he has it in him, but believe that for the start of the season at least he'll be utilised mailnly from the left.

I'd say one of the main reasons Rafa hasn't brought more players in yet is that Xabigate has put everything on ice.
    Until he knew for certain what was happening, all he could do was make enquieries.
    Once/If (I can hope) Alonso is gone, I'd say we'll see a little flury of buys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd sooner a deeply religious player who keeps to himself in his private life than your typical prima donna premiership player going around dressed like a clown, or getting photographed in nightclubs any day to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry if this has been posted, but Silva has pledged his future to Valencia.

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/07/30/1412332/david-silva-happy-as-a-valencia-player
    David Silva has been strongly linked with a new challenge this summer, with the likes of Real Madrid and Liverpool thought to be chasing his signature.

Although he had recently refused to confirm his future with Los Che, Silva has now quashed speculation about his situation by saying he is happy at Valencia.

"I am like I have always been since I am a player of Valencia: tranquil, getting ready for what is about to come and eager to work to make a good season," Silva told Superdeporte.

"Why should I be sad? I am a player of Valencia and I am happy to be one. Since Monday I have been working with team-mates that I really like and with whom I have a very good relationship."

Silva, who noted that losing David Villa would be a "big loss" for Valencia, confessed that he never thought about leaving the club.

"I know that several clubs wanted me and showed interest in me, but I always saw myself at Valencia and I always thought I would end up staying," he stated.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted, but Silva has pledged his future to Valencia.

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/07/30/1412332/david-silva-happy-as-a-valencia-player

Villa will just have to do :P

He pledged his future a couple of days ago, Lee Cattermole and Kenwyne Jones it is then :(

He pledged his future a couple of days ago, Lee Cattermole and Kenwyne Jones it is then :(

Silva/Villa

Cattermole/K.Jones

Some contrast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's been said already in here, but cattermole as anything but an understudy would be a joke. so i hope there's someone else in line, as cattermole shouldn't play in more than 7-10 games a season for Pool yet.

seriously.

Alonso sale should raise about 30 million, add the 8 million from the sales so far plus Dossena, Voronin (maybe) and Liverpool should have up to 45 million to splash, can only hope Rafa has got his targets all lined up.

Alonso sale should raise about 30 million, add the 8 million from the sales so far plus Dossena, Voronin (maybe) and Liverpool should have up to 45 million to splash, can only hope Rafa has got his targets all lined up.

How much of a cut do ye reckon the Yanks will want to take, if any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

flahavaj wrote: »

A few weeks back Rafa said that we can buy maybe one more player, without losing any other players. Since then Arbeloa has left and Alonso on his way, i would be tempted to say he has all the money generated by sales. However thats not to say he will.

The report at the start of the season was a budget of £20,000,000 with nearly all of the money from sales going back to Rafa.

The only reason that Rafa hasn't bought more than GJ is that he can't really buy players until the Alonso situation is sorted.

As I said earlier, if/when Xabi goes, I'd bet we'll see an instant infux of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Really disapointed about Xabi leaving (or as good as).

I cant believe we sold arbeloa for so cheap either, people round here were stating wed get near the 10 million mark for him a few months back. 3.5 million is criminal.

Im not gone on Aquilani but havent seen enough to judge him outright. Id like to see Sniejder join.

But if were talking quality for quality id take Villia in as a replacement and drop gerrard deeper. Though breaking up the Gerrard and Torres combo would be insane I think.

Its hard to know. The club is about to loose the worlds best in his position imo.

Lee Catermole. Get the fook out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Losing Xabi will be a blow, but every cloud has a Silva lining.

I'll be amazed (gutted and angry too) if we sign Cattermole.

There's nothing to take judging by the losses the club incurred last year.

The only way they'll break even is if we have a net spend of around zero this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Why so much against Lee Catermole ? he looks like a good prospect.

aaronh007 wrote: »

I'd sooner a deeply religious player who keeps to himself in his private life than your typical prima donna premiership player going around dressed like a clown, or getting photographed in nightclubs any day to be honest.

I 'd have to reserve judgement as to what his performances were like on the pitch.

If he is performing on the pitch he can be addicted to transexuals in his spare time for all I care.

At least Babel would have an excuse if he was out drinking every night, not being able to find a church is not good enough to explain his attitude and first touch I'm afraid.

His getting paid enough money to move his familty over, to build a church and a couple of Arks if he wanted. Anyways I was brought up to understand God was everywhere, and Jesus himself is on record as stating he hated the idea of Churchs.

It is the first time I have seen God dragged into defend an underperforming player on these boards.

Pull the other one!!! :rolleyes:

At 12m he's way overpriced for a "good prospect". He's not capable of lacing Xabi's boots let alone filling them. And everytime I see him play I generally only ever hear "awful tackle there from Cattermole".

He wouldn't add anything to our side at all, with Mascherano's limited passing game we need someone to come in and essentially do what Xabi does and there aren't many about that can do that.Carrick is a poor man's Alonso, Pirlo is of a similar ilk. Aqualani is decent going forward and could probably soften the blow somewhat, but he has a Harry Kewell like track record with injuries.

I think the best way forward is to get more quality out wide then sign a decent midfielder.

I 'd have to reserve judgement as to what his performances were like on the pitch.

If he is performing on the pitch he can be addicted to transexuals in his spare time for all I care.

At least Babel would have an excuse if he was out drinking every night, not being able to find a church is not good enough to explain his attitude and first touch I'm afraid.

His getting paid enough money to move his familty over, to build a church and a couple of Arks if he wanted.

It is the first time I have seen God dragged into defend an underperforming player on these boards.

I wasn't particularly replying to or referring to your post, mate, nor was I defending, or even commenting on his on pitch performance.

His getting paid enough money to move his familty over, to build a church and a couple of Arks if he wanted. Anyways I was brought up to understand God was everywhere, and Jesus himself is on record as stating he hated the idea of Churchs.

If religion is very important to him and things are wrong with it etc it is going to effect him. Perhaps his family dont want to or cant move over to him in England, you dont know the ins and outs. When it comes to people, things are rarely black or white. Personal issues shouldn't effect players but they do, wheter that is late night antics, homesickness, religion or whatever.

He has been looking better in preseason. Hope he makes the step up this year (it may be his last at Liverpool)

We need a replacement for Alonso and players for our first team, we have enough prospects.
    Plus the money would be ridiculous

• Advertisement

If religion is very important to him and things are wrong with it etc it is going to effect him. Perhaps his family dont want to or cant move over to him in England, you dont know the ins and outs. When it comes to people, things are rarely black or white. Personal issues shouldn't effect players but they do, wheter that is late night antics, homesickness, religion or whatever.

He gets paid a pile of money doing a job nearly everyone of us would kill for.

When he is at training and on the pitch Liverpool FC, The Fans and his team mates are the Holey Trinity!!! It's called been a professional footballer, it superseeds God, Family and everything else, while your working for a club who pays you millions for the privledge.

All people have personal problems, I would never belittle them, He is a man, missing his parents and not been able to find a suitable church are not good enough reasons for me to excuse any players performance, and in this case it just smacks of a bad excuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement