Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Boggles wrote: »
    He gets paid a pile of money doing a job nearly everyone of us would kill for.

When he is at training and on the pitch Liverpool FC, The Fans and his team mates are the Holey Trinity!!! It's called been a professional footballer, it superseeds God, Family and everything else, while your working for a club who pays you millions for the privledge.

All people have personal problems, I would never belittle them, He is a man, missing his parents and not been able to find a suitable church are not good enough reasons for me to excuse any players performance, and in this case it just smacks of a bad excuse.

I'm not excusing anyone, just stating that players get effected by personal issues and Ryan Babel may or may not have been affected by this.
    I agree if I was playing for Liverpool a lot of things would come second to the job and I'm sure if you played for Man U or whoever you support you'd feel the same but we aren't Ryan Babel.
    Babel has to deal with his own problems but saying that they aren't good enough to affect you doesn't mean it not good enough to affect him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

it superseeds God, Family and everything else, while your working for a club who pays you millions for the privledge.

im sorry boggles but this is just ridiculous.

at the end of the day football is just a job. no matter how much money is paid to them their families are ALWAYS the most important thing. For some people God maybe too but thats hard for some people, including me, to comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lets face it Boggles, your main issue with him is the fact he plays for Liverpool. If it was any other club you wouldn't have bothered posting on the matter.

Low grade wind up, ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I 'd have to reserve judgement as to what his performances were like on the pitch.

If he is performing on the pitch he can be addicted to transexuals in his spare time for all I care.

At least Babel would have an excuse if he was out drinking every night, not being able to find a church is not good enough to explain his attitude and first touch I'm afraid.

His getting paid enough money to move his familty over, to build a church and a couple of Arks if he wanted. Anyways I was brought up to understand God was everywhere, and Jesus himself is on record as stating he hated the idea of Churchs.

It is the first time I have seen God dragged into defend an underperforming player on these boards.

Pull the other one!!! :rolleyes:

You kidding me?
    You're not religous, so you can't see it as an issue.
    If I had to stop using the internet at work it would effect me, let alone being unable to properly practice my beliefs.

Move his family over?!!!!!!
    What?!!!!!!
    You telling me that it's perfectly normal for someone to up their parents and sister from another country because they're lonely?
    Are his parents just orbiting Ryan, or do they have their own lives, their own friends their own family, their own jobs?!
    His sister who's also a professional athelete, his father's who coaches a basketball team are just gonna leave their jobs at the drop of a hat!

The very fact that you try and talk about him building a church shows how oblivious you are to how religeon can effect people.
    You can't build your own bloody church to suit you.
    You find one that calls to you and that's that.
    It's more than the building, it's the priests/pastors or whatever, the congregation etc.

Maybe he should move all of them over to Liverpool too.
    Uproot the whole congregation and all their families to Merseyside.

If Religion and family are the most important thing in someones life, and they are taken away, then yes it can have a massive, massive, effect on your proffesional life.

I'm not religous in the slightest, but I have enough Kop on to the bleeding obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Who ever steps into Xabi's boots will have to gel very quickly if we have any chance of winning the league. I'm sickened that he's gone. He's my, or was, my favourite player.

I dont want a decent prospect a la lee clattermole. I want a first teamer that would walk into either Chelsea, Utd or Arsenal...dunno if Aquilani is the right man. I hope he is.

If we dont win something next season; I'm out for blood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I HAVE IT!

We should move Liverpool to Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Who ever steps into Xabi's boots will have to gel very quickly if we have any chance of winning the league. I'm sickened that he's gone. He's my, or was, my favourite player.

I dont want a decent prospect a la lee clattermole. I want a first teamer that would walk into either Chelsea, Utd or Arsenal...dunno if Aquilani is the right man. I hope he is.

If we dont win something next season; I'm out for blood.

Agree with you missingtime, said it at the start of the summer and posted similar to you earlier today. A lot of posters feel we can survive this loss but I think it's a massive blow. I don't think we'll get someone as good to replace him. Very few can do what he does/play the same way as him, so a change of style/system may be in order.

Obviously I'm not saying we can't win next season. There's other huge factors, Torres's fitness being a big one. I'm sure we'll still be up there but I think his loss is big. I do think that if we do lose him (which is looking close to definite at this stage) we will be drifting out odds wise imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Morzadec wrote: »
    Agree with you missingtime, said it at the start of the summer and posted similar to you earlier today. A lot of posters feel we can survive this loss but I think it's a massive blow. I don't think we'll get someone as good to replace him. Very few can do what he does/play the same way as him, so a change of style/system may be in order.

Obviously I'm not saying we can't win next season. There's other huge factors, Torres's fitness being a big one. I'm sure we'll still be up there but I think his loss is big. I do think that if we do lose him (which is looking close to definite at this stage) we will be drifting out odds wise imo

I'll reserve my Judgement of how big a loss it is when the transfer window shuts. Hopefully we keep Masch also. Obviously at the moment its a big loss but I reckon Rafa has a plan B. When the Alonso business is done we'll have to see what that plan B is and then we can see how big a loss it is (if any or fingers crossed an improvement? ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

We can make excuses all we want for Babel, but the reason why he hasn't done too well is because he lacks a footballing brain.

He has no comprehension of how to create or use space. HIs development hasn't been helped by Benitez's sparing use of him, but if he sorts out his "game intelligence" as the bearded one might say, he'll play more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

You can't build your own bloody church to suit you.
    Mel Gibson did:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

i can see it now

Liverpools 2009-2010 Player of the Year
    Lucas
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thebhoy wrote: »
    i can see it now

Liverpools 2009-2010 Player of the Year
    Lucas
    ;)

if there was ever a perfect time for someone to step up, it's him and it's now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    im sorry boggles but this is just ridiculous.

at the end of the day football is just a job. no matter how much money is paid to them their families are ALWAYS the most important thing. For some people God maybe too but thats hard for some people, including me, to comprehend.

It's the real world, when you are been paid to do a job in any profession you leave everything else aside. Again it is called been professional. When your on the clock you leave that stuff behind you and get on with it.

If I fook up in my job, and my excuse is I miss my mother, do you think I'd be long in that job? No I'd be out the door.

It's one notch below the excuse of I have to move club because my girlfriend of 5 months has no friends.
    You kidding me?
    You're not religous, so you can't see it as an issue.
    I

What makes you think I'm not religious?
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Lets face it Boggles, your main issue with him is the fact he plays for Liverpool. If it was any other club you wouldn't have bothered posting on the matter.

Low grade wind up, ignore.

No my main issue with him is he is blaming everything else but himself, and making a pretty bad job of it, nothing to do with who he plays for kiddo. I had the same go at Vidic last month when they were rumours of Barca sniffing and an unhappy wife, was that a wind up too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Liverpool want 26million pounds for Alonso but Real wont budge on 20million.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...so-real-madrid
    Do you think Real should go higher or should Liverpool drop the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

No my main issue with him is he is blaming everything else but himself, and making a pretty bad job of it, nothing to do with who he plays for kiddo. I had the same go at Vidic last month when they were rumours of Barca sniffing, was that a wind up too?
    He hasn't blamed his religion, its just been reported as a possible reason for his not settling well.

Vidic is relgious? Wouldn't have had him down as the type at all.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »

Vidic is relgious? Wouldn't have had him down as the type at all.:pac:

Well the Devil is sort of a Religion! :pac:

It's the real world, when you are been paid to do a job in any profession you leave everything else aside. Again it is called been professional. When your on the clock you leave that stuff behind you and get on with it.

If I fook up in my job, and my excuse is I miss my mother, do you think I'd be long in that job? No I'd be out the door.

It's one notch below the excuse of I have to move club because my girlfriend of 5 months has no friends.

Well its you who seems to be separating football from the real world with talk of them earning so much money.

Anyone employer should be able to accept that a persons family means far far more to them than any profession. You said that their job supersedes their family and this is what im pulling you up on as I feel that family > profession everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hard to know. Liverpool have the 3 year contract which is probably more important than the transfer request.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its nice to see the Pool fans are in tune with the sensitive sides of their want
    away players personal situations. Does this mean they don't mind Mascherano leaving to Barca?
    Javier Mascherano's brother has revealed the Liverpool midfielder wants to join Barcelona – but admitted that he will probably be forced to stay at Anfield.

Sebastián Mascherano said: "Javier wants to go to Barcelona. That would be the best thing for him and his family. I am sure he and Leo Messi have spoken about it. Leo is one of those who is most insistent on Javier playing for Barcelona. Hopefully, the opportunity will arrive."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/30/liverpool-xabi-alonso-real-madrid

Well its you who seems to be separating football from the real world with talk of them earning so much money.

Anyone employer should be able to accept that a persons family means far far more to them than any profession. You said that their job supersedes their family and this is what im pulling you up on as I feel that family > profession everytime.

I most certainly didn't, go back and read my posts again and pick out where I said that!

• Advertisement

I most certainly didn't, go back and read my posts again and pick out where I said that!

'It's called been a professional footballer, it superseeds God, Family and everything else'

i took this to mean pro footballer > God/family/everything else

if not apols

'It's called been a professional footballer, it superseeds God, Family and everything else'

i took this to mean pro footballer > God/family/everything else

if not apols

Qoute the whole paragraph!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Times is claiming that liverpool are holding out for £30 million after turning down an new £28 million offer. Someone is getting their £ and euros mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The Times is claiming that liverpool are holding out for £30 million after turning down an new £28 million offer. Someone is getting their £ and euros mixed up.

OR they're silly English people:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

What makes you think I'm not religious?

The very fact that you suggested him using his wealth to build a church that suits him, and then followed it up with a joke about the arc.

No my main issue with him is he is blaming everything else but himself, and making a pretty bad job of it, nothing to do with who he plays for kiddo. I had the same go at Vidic last month when they were rumours of Barca sniffing and an unhappy wife, was that a wind up too?

Making baseless assumptions again are we?

Babel never once used that as an excuse.
    The interviewer mentioned that it was something that bothered Babel, which clearly it is.
    Or are footballers not allowed to have feelings now?
    Babel never said I'm playing bad because......
    The interview was about his childhood, his family life, it mentioned everything from Surinam to the crash of flight El Al 1862 in 1992 which destroyed the apartment building next to Ryan's family's.

The interviewer talked to the player about his whole life, and one of the main things that came up was Ryan's beliefs and about how he misses his old church.
    If you'd bothered to look for the interview, or asked me, rather than just trying to twist it to suit your own preconcieved opinion, you'd have read the last lines in it.

(Actual quotes from Ryan this time)
    "But I'm working on it. I look at myself before I blame others. I'm going to do something about it. It's not something I'm scared about."

Yeah, always passing the buck is Ryan.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/15/liverpool-premierleague

This the christianity forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The Liverpool thread is the Recycle Bin After Hours of the soccer forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Reports this morning claim that Alonso's representatives have refuted claims yesterday in the Echo saying that a formal transfer request had been handed in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This the christianity forum?

Not since Houllier sold God for 30 pieces of silver ~11m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

spockety wrote: »
    Reports this morning claim that Alonso's representatives have refuted claims yesterday in the Echo saying that a formal transfer request had been handed in..

Any links there my good man?

Is this the makings of a Stevie G/Chelsea style saga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its in The Times (of London)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6734120.ece
    The saga had descended into farce earlier in the day when Alonso became embroiled in a game of claim and counterclaim. Sources at Liverpool said that Alonso submitted a transfer request on Wednesday evening in an effort to hasten a move to Real, but the suggestions were dismissed by Alonso's representatives, who insisted that the player had taken no such action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In fairness, whatever Babel does outside of work, is his own business - but like any job, you don't let it effect you in work.

There is no excuse for any reason to blame playing crap on personal reasons, religious or not. Thats why he's a 'professional'.

If he's worried about a church or whatever, he can bloody well go and find one when he's not on the pitch - he has enough time for crying out loud.

I'm not saying that his football should be more important than his beliefs or whatever, but when he's in training, or on that Anfield turf, he can bloody well forget about anything else apart from his job, like the rest of us have to do.

And its not like he has an 8 hour shift on match day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Oh dear god. Will you just give me a ring when the transfer window is over? Im sick of this bull.

'reluctant to give benitez the satisfaction of handing in a transfer request', should actually read 'reluctant to lose upwards of £3m in loyalty bonuses by handing in a transfer request'...
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Several Italian papers are saying the Aquilani deal is close, and he is willing to leave Roma. Have mixed feelings about this to be honest, given his injury record. I’ve hardly seen him play so I can’t comment on him as a player.
    €20m seems to be the quoted price, so at least we could still have around ten million from the Alonso deal to strengthen further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Also reports that Sneijder is linked with Inter...

Hopefully we get this Aquilani situation sorted out quickly.
    Valencia president Manuel Llorente has reiterated that David Silva is not for sale and insists there have been no offers for the Spain international, who has been linked with Liverpool and Manchester United.
    SSN

And Mr. Finnan signed for Pompey - delighted to see him still playing at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd take De Rossi over Aquillani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd take De Rossi over Aquillani.

who wouldn't but he'd cost twice as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

see i knew i was right...

• Advertisement

bbc sport has it dat arby is about to sign for real, but in the article it says one of the reasons he's leaving is because he failed to hold down a regular first team place... Even aunty beeb is failing to base their stories on facht now.

Sorry can't post the link, on boards mobile.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

who wouldn't but he'd cost twice as much.

Aye De Rossi would also just tell us to **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Very heavily editted on the Echo site.

I have tried to ask a question three times and it has not come up once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

All the talk of the transfer request being formally done is coming from one place. The Echo. Alonso has refuted that he handed one in, the club has not commented on it, and the Echo is the place being namechecked by all the other media outlets as their source.

Interestlingly Alonso was back in training with the rest of the team.

Kess73 wrote: »
    All the talk of the transfer request being formally done is coming from one place. The Echo. Alonso has refuted that he handed one in, the club has not commented on it, and the Echo is the place being namechecked by all the other media outlets as their source.

Interestlingly Alonso was back in training with the rest of the team.

:) Sounds promising

Where's this bolded part coming from though?

Apologies should've read back a few pages, just got excited by that post, I was very resigned to him leaving yesterday. Obviously still very probble but a this gives us hope

I imagine they are overwhelmed with messages. As for Alonso it is odd that nothing more has been said esp if the deal to bring in a replacement is as live as it currently appears to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I've just realised that the one of the things that would make me most upset about Alonso going to Real Madrid, would be the sight of him spraying balls to Ronaldo.

Someone shoot me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

And the sight of them celebrating together after one sets the other up for a goal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement