Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

1473474475476477479»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

spockety wrote: »
    I've just realised that the one of the things that would make me most upset about Alonso going to Real Madrid, would be the sight of him spraying balls to Ronaldo.

Someone shoot me.

Good thing you didn't typo, or it could have been worse.
    I've just realised that the one of the things that would make me most upset about Alonso going to Real Madrid, would be the sight of him spraying Ronaldo's balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    I imagine they are overwhelmed with messages. As for Alonso it is odd that nothing more has been said esp if the deal to bring in a replacement is as live as it currently appears to be.

I don't think so. I did two generic messages after my three questions did not show up, and my two butt kissing messages popped up in seconds.

I just want to take this opportunity to mark the death of Bobby Robson. Great coach, great player, and even had a brief stint with our national side, before illness ended his tenure prematurely.

He'll be missed in the game. A true gent of the sport.

Maybe some good news regarding Masch:
    Coach Pep Guardiola has admitted that Barcelona may have concluded their summer spending.
    SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Looks like the complex market could play in to our hands this year. With purse strings so tight at united and chelsea we might have a clear run till Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Maybe some good news regarding Masch:

SSN

possibly the best news i've heard all summer.

take that wifey...you stay where you're told to stay :D

Barnsley boss Simon Davey is awaiting a response from Liverpool after making an offer for winger Adam Hammill.
    SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Paul Tomkins 28 July 2009

Some forgotten men now have a chance to stake a claim, their slates wiped clean. And Liverpool have quite a few of these men who are like the proverbial 'new signings'.

The first name discussed has to be Andriy Voronin. Not many senior players go out on loan and come back to stake a claim.

Voronin could yet be an important addition to the squad. I was extremely impressed with him during his first few months at the club in 2007-08, before injury struck and he lost his form. He was the star of that pre-season, and shone in the opening month once the campaign proper got underway.

Since then he's had an excellent season back in Germany, on loan at Hertha Berlin, and rediscovered some confidence and belief. He may never be ultra-prolific, but he does a bit of everything, and has good game intelligence.

I was encouraged to hear Rafa Benítez saying that the Ukrainian wanted to fight for his place. Voronin is a good technical player, who can create as well as score, but he has to fit in with the Liverpool work ethic, and keep motivated even though the first choice pairing will be Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. So far he seems determined to be as good as his word.

The same applies to Ryan Babel, who has looked very determined ahead of the new season. He's a player whose game hasn't quite clicked together yet, but who has so many of the assets that can do real damage to the opposition.

I still think there's a very special player in there, but it's a question of how to bring that out of him, and whether he has the natural confidence to reach his full potential.

He was limited mostly to cameo roles last season, and even in most of his starts he's flitted in and out of games. His next challenge has to be to assert himself on proceedings, and not disappear for periods of matches.

But with a lot of the football going through Gerrard and Torres, and the right side likely to be very strong with Kuyt or Benayoun and Glen Johnson getting forward, it's unlikely he'll regularly find himself in a position to dominate games. He has to make an impression in the early minutes, and then will find the ball coming his way a lot more often.

Hopefully the other left winger, Albert Riera, will now be used to the rigours of a 'full English' (season, that is, although maybe the breakfast too), and he's more experienced and tactically aware than Babel. I'm a big fan of Riera's quick and clever passing, and his close control, but Babel has that explosive pace that can get in behind defences, and, you suspect, potential to score the greater amount of goals. It'll be interesting to see who prevails.

Another attacker, Krisztian Nemeth, missed most of last season through injury, just when it looked like he would force his way into the squad. He has good feet and a quick brain, but maybe lacks the pace to make an impact at a young age; it tends to be the real speedsters who break through quickest, while the thinkers come of age later on.

Nemeth looks to be more of a natural finisher than David Ngog, but the young Frenchmen has an excellent all-round game: pace, technique, a centre-forward's height and improving strength. I had doubts that he was ready in his early games last season, but by the end of the campaign he had come on leaps and bounds. He still has a lot to learn about English football, and, at just 20, the game in general, but I think he's a very special player in the making.

Philipp Degen has yet to even get started, and the arrival of Glen Johnson won't help his chances of being a regular. But if he can stay fit, he can only be a positive addition to the ranks; another option, to bolster the squad and provide both cover and competition.

Certainly not a forgotton man by any stretch of the imagination, Fernando Torres missed half of last season's league campaign, while Daniel Agger missed even more football. These two will surely add to the points haul at Anfield if they stay fit this time around.

Everyone knows how good those two are. But I don't think footballers should ever be put into strict categories when they've yet to prove themselves: 'rubbish', 'flop', 'not good enough for Liverpool', etc.

When someone has left the club I'm more prepared to use those terms, because a final conclusion can be reached and a line drawn under their time at Anfield. But while they are still at the club, there is always scope to improve. You have to keep an open mind.

I spent a lot of time between the summer of 2007 (dating back to before he even arrived) and last winter defending Yossi Benayoun to some critics. Not every signing can have the wow factor upon arrival, and not every player will get the regular opportunities in the team to find his groove.

It depends on what you expect from a player. Not everyone is destined to be a first-team regular. So everyone has to be judged in the correct context. If you compare everyone with Gerrard or Torres, then of course 99 per cent of players will fall short. But all successful sides have their less glamourous individuals, particularly so in the squad age.

In the case of Benayoun, I saw a perfect squad player. Clever, mobile, skilful, and with an eye for goal. For the money, it was a deal that made perfect sense.

Was he special enough to be a shoo-in back in 2007? I didn't think so.

But then in the latter half of 2008-09 it just clicked. He scored against Wigan, then produced a storming cameo against Chelsea; suddenly he was flying. For the last three months of the season he was one of the stars of the Premiership.

So players can come good. Does that mean that the likes of Bruno Cheyrou or Sean Dundee should have been kept in case they eventually looked the part? Of course not.

Managers have to be trusted to make those calls. He has to decide if someone is not good enough, or that he is, but just hasn't shown it yet. That's where seeing them in training every day helps, although eventually ability at Melwood has to be translated to the first team.

Benítez's judgement was questioned over Benayoun. People said he was wrong to sign him, and wrong to select him at the start of this year. And that's the crazy thing about being a football manager: you have to believe that you're right, before it's proven, and knowing full well that there are no guarantees, even if the player in question does possess the necessary quality.

But there are two reasons why I trust Benítez's judgement. The first is that no matter how many players he has bought (and people point to those who didn't work out), he has consistently improved the first team.

The other reason is the speed with which he has acted when someone hasn't been what he was looking for. There was a decisiveness over the way he shipped out Robbie Keane after just six months, while players like Jan Kromkamp and Mark Gonzalez, who appeared to have pretty good pedigrees, were not kept for much longer.

So there's a good chance Liverpool can improve on last season with the players already in the ranks. Of course, it's a rare campaign when every major player stays fit for 10 months. But a bit more luck in this sense than last season would be welcome.

I don't see many players coming back at Manchester United, the Reds' obvious rivals for the title, although Owen Hargreaves being back in action is a clear benefit. Rio Ferdinand missed a few games last season, but otherwise they weren't too hamstrung. Chelsea, however, had a few major long-term absentees, such as Essien and Drogba, so they could automatically be stronger in 2009-10. Much depends on how their new manager fares, but Chelsea seem naturally well-organised.

Manchester City will be a completely unknown quantity at this stage, with so many new players – players we know well, just not how they'll knit together – and Arsenal have a way of playing that means they can never be written off for a place in the top three, even if the title looks beyond them.

Of course, there are also the players in all of the major squads who are as yet unheard of outside their own fanbase, who will make a name for themselves.

At Liverpool, Martin Kelly (as a full-back, in his formative years) and Daniel Pacheco seem two good bets to me, as technically good, pacy players, while Mikel San Jose and Jay Spearing also look more than capable of doing a job at this early stage of their careers, albeit in positions of greater responsibility.

Last year it was Yossi Benayoun who provided the biggest surprise, with Emiliano Insua the youngster who progressed the most. It'll be interesting to see who fills those roles this season.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think that is spot on

• Advertisement

Did anyone else notice the lack of Lucas?

Did anyone else notice the lack of Lucas?

I think that's cause Lucas started to show signs of progress towards the end of the season.
    A lot of the boo boys quietened after the Utd and Chelsea games.

I think that's cause Lucas started to show signs of progress towards the end of the season.
    A lot of the boo boys quietened after the Utd and Chelsea games.

In fairness, it would take a lot more than 2 games to convince anyone of ability. Particularly the United game, as although we dominated, United didn't turn up, making the job a lot easier.

He seems to have bulked up quite a bit over the summer though, which will hopefully help him be more physical, should he be called to arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

In fairness, it would take a lot more than 2 games to convince anyone of ability. Particularly the United game, as although we dominated, United didn't turn up, making the job a lot easier.

He seems to have bulked up quite a bit over the summer though, which will hopefully help him be more physical, should he be called to arms.

United did show up, they started the better of the sides, but Liverpool got into the game and completely nullified United. Mascherano and Arbeloa, and Lucas and Aurelio completely stopped Rooney and Ronaldo playing.
    He had more than 2 good games last season. A couple of very good performances, a couple of very poor performances, but mostly he ranged from decent to good. Definitely room for improvement, but a very good squad player as it is. And he’s not likely to get worse than he is now. But he’s very likely to improve, being nowhere near his peak. So, worse case scenario, Lucas remains a good squad player for Liverpool. Well worth the 5m investment imo.

No man Utd did show up, we just had the perfect game plan.
    Lucas was instrumental in that game.
    Then when Gerrard was out for the Chelsea game, he had probably his best game for us.

He was by no means stellar, but he started to cut out most of the small errors from his game, and when Liverpoo lere playing well, he no longer was made the brunt of certain "fans" frustrations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We have about 50 tickets left for Bohs V Liverpool,this is sold out but we still have a few left.PM me for more info or contact me on Irishkop,they are 20 euro each.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement