Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

DeadSkin wrote: »
    He'd still walk into the starting eleven of Liverpool, stinkin' of wanker, and it'd be a savage improvement.

I'm sure my attitude will change if he does come to liverpool and be a success but for now I reserve the right to call him a wanker because he acts like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I can't see Cole leaving for Liverpool - and we've had enough of Liverpool-English-player transfer sagas to last us a lifetime after the GB debacle...

Well its either Cole or Downing. Rafa said he was looking at English left footed player that could play in 3 positions who isnt Barry. They are the only two I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hmm, maybe it is Cole. Downing - three positions? You're havin a laugh

Hmm, maybe it is Cole. Downing - three positions? You're havin a laugh

Thats what I thought... To be honest, Cole to Liverpool does sound strange but so did Robbie Keane to Liverpool the first time I heard it.

Yeah, the more I think about it - a cluttered midfield at Chelsea, games could be hard to come by for Cole, and Pool could do with some quality out wide. Yeah - I'm just wondering would he want to leave a club like Chelsea, where he's won so much for Liverpool (no offence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Have to agree J.Cole would definately be a good addition to our squad. Hate him but he'd definately improve us. And added to that he wouldn't score against us (on purpose) if we played chelsea! He has game intelligence and can make his own goals. If he does go then I'd hope at least we make some sort of offer to get him. Whether Chelsea would sell him to us or not is another debate...:o

Yeah, the more I think about it - a cluttered midfield at Chelsea, games could be hard to come by for Cole, and Pool could do with some quality out wide. Yeah - I'm just wondering would he want to leave a club like Chelsea, where he's won so much for Liverpool (no offence).

Probably not. Although if the choice is either sitting on the bench at Chelsea or playing regularly for Liverpool, its an easy one.

Chelsea midfielders: J.Cole, Swp, Malouda, Kalou, Essien, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, Deco, Mikel. Add Robiniho to that and it will be incredibly hard to get a game. I would expect Esien, Ballack, Lampard, Deco, Drogba & Robiniho (if they sign him) to start almost every game.

True, and he doesn't come across as the type of player who'd be motivated by money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tusky wrote: »
    When has Cole caused disharmony in a team ? I know hes not the most likable guy but a team of 11 nice guys wont necessarily win anything.

Is Adebayor a nice guy ? What about Ronaldo or John Terry? Eto'o ? Football ability should come first, being a nice guy is a bonus.

Cole has been fairly vocal against Liverpool in the past, infeering that we stle their Chapions League trophy.
    When someone says they don't like you, and then you're told that you have to work with them, it can cause resentment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SteM wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree there. He only missed out on one through penalites last season and there's no reason to think that Chelsea can't go all the way in the CL this year.

That would be true if penos weren't not so damned important in winning trophies these days. :pac:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

can someone please post the link where cole says he doesnt like Liverpool or that kind of thing please-i dont remember him saying anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Cole has been fairly vocal against Liverpool in the past, infeering that we stle their Chapions League trophy.
    When someone says they don't like you, and then you're told that you have to work with them, it can cause resentment.

andy cole and teddy sheringham didnt talk for years yet got on grand on the pitch

aparently crouchy said that cole wouldn't let them watch the final or something like that. demanding that they go out somewhere else....i think karma knows...

...over to you karma

er, I remember a certain Thierry Henry lambasting Barcelona after a CL final etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah - I'm just wondering would he want to leave a club like Chelsea, where he's won so much for Liverpool (no offence).

Another way of looking at it is that he's already won pretty much everything (bar CL) at Chelsea and will now be finding it much tougher to get football week in week out. Might be time for a change, nothing left to prove there. While Liverpool aren't on a par with Chelsea yet, he himself would go some way towards redressing that balance. As far as moves go, it would be a good one for him, stepping up to being a vital piece of the puzzle again rather then being 1 of many at chelsea now.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is that he's already won pretty much everything (bar CL) at Chelsea and will now be finding it much tougher to get football week in week out. Might be time for a change, nothing left to prove there. While Liverpool aren't on a par with Chelsea yet, he himself would go some way towards redressing that balance. As far as moves go, it would be a good one for him, stepping up to being a vital piece of the puzzle again rather then being 1 of many at chelsea now.

He will also need regular football if he wants to play for england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

He will also need regular football if he wants to play for england.

If he joined Liverpool, there'd be no doubt he'd get regular football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can someone please post the link where cole says he doesnt like Liverpool or that kind of thing please-i dont remember him saying anything like that.

I cant find any mention or quotes from Joe Cole about his dislike for liverpool. Maybe somebody just made it up because he plays for chelsea and therefore must be a liverpool hating wankhuur

He would be a great addition to Liverpool but I doubt he would leave Chelsea at the moment, even though his place is not assured with the midfield Chelsea have he is next in line for a place if Lampard/Deco/Essien/Ballack get injured or have a bad run of form.

I like the guy, he sort of reminds me of Ronnie O Sullivan

I can't browse properly in work, so will look for more later.
    Joe Cole wrote:
    And then you've got the Liverpool game the following season where we were let down by a dubious goal.

"We have had a final place taken off us

And as mentioned above, when Crouch signed for Liverpool, he was interviewed about the Istanbul final, and he said that Cole was complaining so much that him, Cole and a few others brought him shopping to take his mind off of it while the rest of the english squad were watching in the hotel.
    When They heard it was 3-0 they ent injto a Sports bar to watch, but Cole got annoyed, and went to the otherside of the bar as Liverpool came back in.
    He refused to watch the penalties, and left before the trophy was raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so ****ing wat?!

we did win by a dubious goal that may or may not have crossed the line, i'm sure he did feel sick watching us win the greatest CL final ever! who wouldnt have in his situation!?

and as for him being a moaner and not a team player because he felt he should get more game time with England.....i presume you felt the same about Carragher?

Jamie Carragher=moaner and not a team player, i'd dare you to say that to his face :)

if thats the best you can come up as a reason to hate him thats pretty sad tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

whats all this cole talk are we linked with him??, couldn't see it happening tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    so ****ing wat?!

we did win by a dubious goal that may or may not have crossed the line, i'm sure he did feel sick watching us win the greatest CL final ever! who wouldnt have in his situation!?

and as for him being a moaner and not a team player because he felt he should get more game time with England.....i presume you felt the same about Carragher?

Jamie Carragher=moaner and not a team player, i'd dare you to say that to his face :)

if thats the best you can come up as a reason to hate him thats pretty sad tbh!

Listen Al, I don't like the guy, plain and simple.
    I'm a simple kinda guy, I respect everyone in a red shirt, and abhore "fans" who don't.
    I'm sure you can see how annoying it would be for me to have to respect and support somebody I personaly detest.
    (I suppose personaly is the wrong word seeing as I don't know the guy!;))

I just don't like him, think that he's not a fair player, an would hate to see him in Liverpool, as much as I'd hate to see Drogba, Ronaldo, Mourinho etc, no matter how good they are.

I'm a simple kinda guy

Finally something we can agree on.

Is it anyway possible that Benitez could be (cheekily) talking about Barry when he says he's after a lefty from England that can play in three positions?! :p

Finally something we can agree on.

Ah Tusky, that's beneath you.

Oh...wait, it's not.

Carry on.

• Advertisement

Is it anyway possible that Benitez could be (cheekily) talking about Barry when he says he's after a lefty from England that can play in three positions?! :p

Nope.

I forget the quote, but it was along the lines of I'm not talking about Barry, I'm talking about somebody who can play in three positions on the left.

Rafa wrote:
    "When I was first talking with Xabi (about a transfer) we needed money. After these months it is not a question of money. We would have to have a massive offer because Alonso is a great player.

"But if we sell one or two players, we have enough money to bring in one more good player.

Here you go HF
    Rafa wrote:
    We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

Edit: Four posts in a row! I wasn't even looking!!!:p

i bet he is talking about kilbane :D

pesireland wrote: »
    i bet he is talking about kilbane :D

:D

Zinadine Kilbane!!!

• Advertisement

:D

Zinadine Kilbane!!!

:D Biggest sign of a bung deal in soccer, david moyes paying £2m + for Kilbane ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Joe Cole is not a leftie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Well its either Cole or Downing. Rafa said he was looking at English left footed player that could play in 3 positions who isnt Barry. They are the only two I can think of.

what are the three positions that cole can play in?

but he does play a lot on the left especially for England

sweetie wrote: »
    what are the three positions that cole can play in?

left wing, right wing, behind the striker.

Its all this cutting inside malarky.

Right sided players playing on the left/vice versa, so they can cut inside giving the full backs room to overlap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

but he does play a lot on the left especially for England

Did Benitez not say "left-footed"?

Damien Duff has played right, left and centre for Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

left wing, right wing, behind the striker.
    Can play centre mid if needed too, as he did for west ham

Damien Duff has played right, left and centre for Ireland ;)

I thought it was left sided.

It would be great to have the Old Duffer playing for the pool ;) The present one retired when he left Blackburn.

I thought it was left sided.

Rafa wrote:
    We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

No mention of feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Whilst I think Cole is a fine player (he had a really good game against
    Portsmouth yesterday, I believe) I can't see it happening right now.
    Maybe after a few months on the subs bench (if Robinho come's) might
    make it more likely in January or next summer.

Got this from the BBC match report for the 'boro game yesterday. I think
    Downing might prove to be a good player for us if given a chance. He also
    applied the assist for Wheater's disallowed goal.
    Downing - the lynchpin of all of Boro's best play - crossed from the left and although Alves's shot was brilliantly tipped on to the bar by Gomes, Wheater bundled home the rebound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

No mention of feet.

From here
    Rafa:
    We have time so we will continue working, he added. We have players in mind. I don’t think it will be a problem to find players. The question is to find the right players for us, the right left-footed players for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Just came across this from the Times on Sat. From what I've seen in the past Ollie Kay has decent contacts within the club. Most of it's fairly boring but this is interesting:
    Q: Finally, what is the latest with Hicks and Gillett?

A: I still expect them to sell up sooner rather than later. The takeover talk may have quietened down, but it is about to resurface. From what I am hearing, there are changes ahead, but it is far from clear what form they will take. Sorry if that sounds vague, but right now, with so many rumours flying around about possible investors (and some of the names are quite shocking), no one can say with the slightest certainty what will happen next.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4546054.ece

All nice and vague but I do expect movement on the investment/takeover front real soon. According to TB in the Echo last Friday dumb & dumber have until Jan 31st to refinance the existing refinancing of the original loans they took out to buy the club. That's without any mention of additional money for the new stadium, etc.. Next 6 months off the pitch is likely to be another bumpy rollercoaster of a ride - I just hope that on the pitch things go a lot smoother.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    From here

Fair enough.

Different interview though.
    I was refering to Rafa talking about a left sided player who can play in three positions.
    He never mentioned dexterousness (hope that's a word!:P) in that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Fair enough.

Different interview though.
    I was refering to Rafa talking about a left sided player who can play in three positions.
    He never mentioned dexterousness (hope that's a word!:P) in that interview.

Dexterity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't ruin it, Karmafaerie thought he'd invented a new word.

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No mention of feet.

I definitely think we should get someone with feet. They make it easier to kick the ball and such and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Downing is exactly what Liverpool need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

copacetic wrote: »
    I definitely think we should get someone with feet. They make it easier to kick the ball and such and such.

Have to agree there the do help:D:D

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »

Theres too many feet in the team as it is if you ask me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement