Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

tbf downing could be a possibility imo.

and he is a great crosser to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

pesireland wrote: »
    tbf downing could be a possibility imo.

and he is a great crosser to

he doesn't play in several different positions though. does he?

he doesn't play in several different positions though. does he?

he does if rafa has anything to do with it lol

Ha just went on wiki answers and asked who liverpool are gonna sign next and they said gareth barry IMAO:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Cole saying he's going nowhere - prob won't put an end to the speculation though

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4007125,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

eagle eye wrote: »
    Downing is exactly what Liverpool need.

Arent you missing a word in there? like dont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is the only thing that will stop speculation.

2008-september.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Looks like it's pushed out an extra day Mike

Transfer deadline to be extended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No Sunday trading? Pah!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly eyeing up a £6 million bid for Wigan Athletic midfield man Wilson Palacios but it will take a lot more than that for Latics to part with their Honduran superstar.

Latics boss Steve Bruce thinks Palacios will go all the way and eventual find himself at one of Europes top clubs, but not just yet and definitely not on the cheap.

Bruce said:

'We are always going to be seen as little unfashionable Wigan but I know I have some really good players'

'We have done very well to tie up some of our best players to long-term deals, especially Wilson Palacios. Wilson has the ability to go to the top."

'Last season he was linked with Manchester United - I don't know if there was interest, but it was speculated on because of my past links."

'We worked hard to tie him down and sign a new contract."

'He knows this year is a big one for him and it is going to be hard."

'But he wanted to stay here and it would take an amazing offer to get him off us bearing in mind some of the fees being paid out for some players at the moment.'

Isnt he a central midfielder ?
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_4007365,00.html

The 32-year-old full-back, who is expected to resume his international career in Norway on Wednesday evening, linked up with Giovanni Trapattoni's squad with his future at Anfield seemingly undecided.

Finnan, a £3.5million signing from Fulham five summers ago, has found himself out of the picture so far this season after undergoing hernia surgery.

The Limerick-born player has even been touted as a possible makeweight in the Reds' ongoing pursuit of Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, and admits he does not know what the future holds for him.

Finnan said: "Limbo sounds about right, yes.

"I haven't got a clue, to be honest with you. I haven't played many games recently, so I honestly can't say.

"There is a big squad there and everyone is fighting for their place, and I just have to train well and take the chance if I get it."

Asked further if he is having to contemplate a move, he replied: "You would have to ask the club. I have been trying to get into the team.

"I haven't played, but I will just wait and see and when the transfer window closes, we will know then.

"I will wait and see if I can get into the team; if not, then obviously I want to play, so we will just have to take it from there."

Finnan revealed he has spoken to manager Rafael Benitez about his situation, but was not elaborating.

He said: "We have spoken about it, but at this time, I don't think I will say too much more."

I think he is surplice to requirements. No point going into the season with 3 RBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    No Sunday trading? Pah!

Mike

didn't they make a right balls of a few signings the last day it was on a Sunday? sensible move imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

On Finnan, I'd like him to stay, imo I prefer him at right back over Arbeloa.
    I know he's getting on in years but so is Hyypia and Hyypia had an excellent season last year.
    Finnan has made that right back position his over the years and has had a fair amount of competition for that spot.
    He can still do a job for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Arent you missing a word in there? like dont
    Explain your reasons for this. I'm not a Liverpool fan by the way, but I do believe that Downing would be a huge addition to Liverpool, theres nobody worth a monkey on the left side for Pool.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    On Finnan, I'd like him to stay, imo I prefer him at right back over Arbeloa.
    I know he's getting on in years but so is Hyypia and Hyypia had an excellent season last year.
    Finnan has made that right back position his over the years and has had a fair amount of competition for that spot.
    He can still do a job for us.

There isnt room for 3 right backs in the squad. Degen has just been bought and Arbeloa is fairly young. Finnan is definitely the one to get the chop unfortunately.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Explain your reasons for this. I'm not a Liverpool fan by the way, but I do believe that Downing would be a huge addition to Liverpool, theres nobody worth a monkey on the left side for Pool.

Babel.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

the one thing about finnan is that hes pure solid.....hes a good right back back..he good at defending and solid going forward and never lets liverpool or ireland down in trems of work rate etc

he has da odd poor game but so does EVERY player..i dont see why liverpool wouldnt want to replace him...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Looks like it's pushed out an extra day Mike

Transfer deadline to be extended

Had an idea that was going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Downing is only a bit better than Babel and not likely to improve massively. You're better off letting Babel play and develop because he can be better than Downing will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the one thing about finnan is that hes pure solid.....hes a good right back back..he good at defending and solid going forward and never lets liverpool or ireland down in trems of work rate etc

he has da odd poor game but so does EVERY player..i dont see why liverpool wouldnt want to replace him...

largely because he's now over 32. I wouldn't mind hanging onto him, but the timing seems to fit, Degen was available now on a free and we should get something, if not a lot, for Finnan - so its either this or have to pay for a backup in a year and have finnan worth even less. Also Darby is progressing nicely so Degen can maybe be sold for a profit if he's only alright in a year or 2. It just makes a little more business sense.

On the Hyypia comparison, its fair enough, but at the same time a full back needs to do an awful lot more running then a CB. Hyypia reads the game well so can get away with playing at a high level for longer, but if Finnan cant keep bombing up and down the wing he's just not as much use.It looks like we're gonna be relying on our FB's to provide a lot of our width this year.

<edit> I kind of agree with PHB's comment above, though we definately need more depth at LW. I wouldn't mind at all if we did go for Downing, I do rate him, but id prefer if we took a punt on Suarez. Younger, already tremendous and has ridiculous potential. Could leave us with Babel and Suarez in, say, 2years as our WF's. Bit of a risk but potentially incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is the Finnan thing still up in the air because of the Barry deal? I'm not sure Villa will still want Finnan after signing Luke Young.

Villain wrote: »
    Is the Finnan thing still up in the air because of the Barry deal? I'm not sure Villa will still want Finnan after signing Luke Young.

For what Finnan is valued at, I think Villa would be mad not to go for him. He's still a quality backup and yee do only have Young as RB.

PHB wrote: »
    Downing is only a bit better than Babel and not likely to improve massively. You're better off letting Babel play and develop because he can be better than Downing will ever be.

I agree with this. Babel can be frustrating at times but he has massive potential. He scored 10 goals in 49 apperances last season from the wing, with a limited number of starts. Hes fast, strong and has a terrific shot. I think we should play him and let him develop with Benayoun providing cover when hes injured. Lets not forget last season was Babels first in the premier league and hes still only 21.

Its on the right side that we should really improve in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Who's this Suarez guy? Have we been linked with him at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not taking away from Babels goals, but stats can be misleading. Babel got most of his goals in the latter stages of matches when Livepool already had the game tied up.

As I said he still has to score them and he can't be faulted for that, but a clearer indication of his potential would be if he scored goals in tighter affairs against better oppostion.

Boggles wrote: »
    Not taking away from Babels goals, but stats can be misleading. Babel got most of his goals in the latter stages of matches when Livepool already had the game tied up.

As I said he still has to score them and he can't be faulted for that, but a clearer indication of his potential would be if he scored goals in tighter affairs against better oppostion.

Yup, he needs to improve and have more effect on the result of games. 10 goals from 49 apperances (more than half were sub) is still really good for a 20 year old wingers first season in the premier league though.

It was Ronaldos third season (aged 20/21) before he got 10+.

Tusky wrote: »
    Yup, he needs to improve and have more effect on the result of games. 10 goals from 49 apperances (more than half were sub) is still really good for a 20 year old wingers first season in the premier league though.

Yep fantastic, As I said you can't fault him the ball has still to be put into the back of the net.

Who's this Suarez guy? Have we been linked with him at all?

He's Ajax's wing forward and I'm in love with him.
    We were linked with him earlier in the summer in the dutch media a lot
    Ajax attacking midfielder and Uruguayan Internation Luis Suarez is emerging as a contender for bringing the creative spark to liverpool. Mainly reports in holland suggest a bid of 18-20m has been made for the services of the young creative attacking midfielder.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A38081973

His stats;
    2006/2007 31 league starts, 13 goals for Groningen at 19years old.
    2007/2008 34 league starts, 19 goals for Ajax at 20years old.

Enjoy the majesty and wonder that is Luis Suarez - and this is all just from last season

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's Ajax's wing forward and I'm in love with him.
    We were linked with him earlier in the summer in the dutch media a lot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A38081973

His stats;
    2006/2007 31 league starts, 13 goals for Groningen at 19years old.
    2007/2008 34 league starts, 19 goals for Ajax at 20years old.

Ohhh i likes the look of him.

Reports on the bbc rumours site that the 'mericans are going to block benitez's purchase of barry even if he can get the funds together.

It doesn't say what paper, just "Various".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,316 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how do you know? he could improve massively, he could not but you dont know any better than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ohhh i likes the look of him.

Reports on the bbc rumours site that the 'mericans are going to block benitez's purchase of barry even if he can get the funds together.

It doesn't say what paper, just "Various".

Could he do it in the Premiership, though, that's the question...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

yeah like look at ribery.

• Advertisement

yeah like look at ribery.

How do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

he was a journeyman up until around the age of 23, his only move of any note was to Galatasary.

I wouldn't have downing down (pardon the pun ;)) as a better player than babel, babel is far more dangerous i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

am i the only one thinking that Babel has bags of potential but has been awful when starting games but great coming off the bench.
    As previously pointed out he has scored when the game was over,like the 3 he got against Besikats when he came on after 65 minutes or so.
    I like him as a player but he hasnt been that great in most games.Stats can fool you sometimes.

raven136 wrote: »
    am i the only one thinking that Babel has bags of potential but has been awful when starting games but great coming off the bench.

I've always thought that too. Its weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cyrus wrote: »
    how do you know? he could improve massively, he could not but you dont know any better than anyone else.

I don't know, but every single time you make an opinion on a player, unless you say something along the lines of imo, I'm going to quote this post. Jesus christ like.

---
    I wouldn't have downing down (pardon the pun ) as a better player than babel, babel is far more dangerous i think.

:P I would think the same of Babel cause he looks so threatening all the time, but so far he has yet to produce to the levels of downing, but hes close.
    Stats:
    Babel - 1400 3 goals 2 assists
    Downing- 3415 9 goals 6 assists

Now techincally if Babel played 3 times as much he'd (in theory) be the same, but Babel played in easier games last year (at the end of them mostly), has trouble starting games and plays with better players. It's not huge, but I think Downings just a bit better currently.

Personally I do think Liverpool need a top class left winger instead of Babel if they want to seriously challenge, making a front four of Torres, Keane, Gerrard, new person.

But if the new person is Downing, I don't think its a huge boost from Babel, and Babel imo [just in case you don't realise this is an opinion] has the potential to be so much more.

• Advertisement

As previously pointed out he has scored when the game was over,like the 3 he got against Besikats when he came on after 65 minutes or so.
    I like him as a player but he hasnt been that great in most games.Stats can fool you sometimes.

I think you'll find it was 2 he scored ;), Benayoun scored 3 :D

Now techincally if Babel played 3 times as much he'd (in theory) be the same, but Babel played in easier games last year (at the end of them mostly), has trouble starting games and plays with better players. It's not huge, but I think Downings just a bit better currently.

Personally I do think Liverpool need a top class left winger instead of Babel if they want to seriously challenge, making a front four of Torres, Keane, Gerrard, new person.

But if the new person is Downing, I don't think its a huge boost from Babel, and Babel imo [just in case you don't realise this is an opinion] has the potential to be so much more.

couldn't agree more with you on that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I followed his carrer in Holland.
    Believe me when I say that he's so much more.
    In Holland he actually played as a wing-forward as apposed to a winger, and so had less defensive responsibilities.
    When he first came to Liverpool he was deployed as a winger, and it was having to learn to be defensive that stiffled him more than anything else.
    The reason he's been so effective when coming on as a sub late in the game (IMO), is not that he's attacking tired defenders, but more that the opposition aren't attacking as much so he was free to be himself.

The guy is special.

If he gets reagular starts in the wing forward role, with Masch Alonso/Barry to cover and Dossena to assist on the flanks, you'll see a lot more out of him, all the way through the game.

Even though the half-time introduction of the out of favour Alonso in replacement for Damien Plessis was a fairly obvious one to make, Benitez still deserves credit for putting the issues he has with his fellow Spaniard to one side for the good of the team.
    Similarly, he should also be praised for the far more unlikely substitutions which also played a part in Liverpool's victory.
    When the electronic board displaying the number seven went up no-one in the away end will have been particularly surprised as £20m man Keane had struggled and looked far from his best.
    But there won't have been many who expected his replacement to be young Moroccan Nabil El Zhar, who regular reserve team watchers will know did not even set Gary Ablett's second string alight last season.
    Benitez followed that up by bringing on Fabio Aurelio for the wholly ineffective Yossi Benayoun, leaving many wondering how replacing an attacking midfielder with a left back could help Liverpool's bid to turn a draw into a win, even if the Israeli had again been well off the pace.
    As changes go, these were far from obvious. But whereas he may not always have the final say in the transfer market, Benitez is always able to back his own judgement during games and in this case it most definitely paid off.
    The Reds boss's detractors may not like it, and many of them will choose to ignore it, but these unlikely substitutions might just have been key to Liverpool's victory.
    All of a sudden, the narrowness which had stymied their attacking effectiveness was replaced with genuine width and the Sunderland full backs could no longer tuck in and suffocate Liverpool's forays forward through sheer numbers.
    It was in the space that this created that Torres was able to do what he does best and with such simplicity an opening day victory was secured.
    If there is a lesson for Benitez's critics to learn from the tactical adjustments that led up to that decisive goal, there is also one for the manager himself.
    Even with a full back playing on one flank and a totally unheralded and largely untested reserve player on the other Liverpool still managed to be more effective than they had been beforehand.
    Genuine width stretches even the most organised sides and opens up space for strikers who can otherwise be smothered far too easily.
    Far too often, Liverpool lack this basic quality and only if it is added to their attributes will the Reds be able to mount a truly sustainable title charge, an achievement which Rafa Benitez would gladly take responsibility for.

Interesting exerpt from the Echo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

My frustration with Babel is simple; he does well, gets past one or two players. But instead of passing it to a player in space, he keeps on going trying to dribble his way past another 3 players into a clear shot on goal for himself. He's a dangerous player with bags of potential, but he's selfish. But he can only improve his game, just needs to become a team player.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    My frustration with Babel is simple; he does well, gets past one or two players. But instead of passing it to a player in space, he keeps on going trying to dribble his way past another 3 players into a clear shot on goal for himself. He's a dangerous player with bags of potential, but he's selfish. But he can only improve his game, just needs to become a team player.

I wouldn't say selfish as such, just a little eager to impress. He needs a little more time.

To be honest we need more players like him, players who are not affraid to take people on and have a shot.

• Advertisement

Interesting exerpt from the Echo.

thanks nice read.;)

Don't agree with that, i think he looks for the player its just his final ball on occasions lets him down.

pesireland wrote: »
    thanks nice read.;)

Don't agree with that, i think he looks for the player its just his final ball on occasions lets him down.

I can only judge on what I have seen, and on many occasions, he keeps running and dribbling until he runs into a brick wall.

I wouldn't say selfish as such, just a little eager to impress. He needs a little more time.

To be honest we need more players like him, players who are not affraid to take people on and have a shot.

I don't mind him going for the shot when he has a good opportunity. I'm talking about him taking on players. He gets past two now that's great pass the ball to the guy who's wide open and who has a clear chance on goal. Instead he tries to beat another two players on his own.

he keeps running and dribbling until he runs into a brick wall.

Flashback of Baros

Wanna take a look back through all the previous Liverpool superthreads where everyone talked about how we need a selfish player?

Babel is learning his trade, and it's only by going past two players and having the confidence to take on the third - even if you fail - that you develop the ability to beat three players.

Ronaldo had a stuttering start to his carrer at Utd, with moments of brilliance, followed by him giving the ball away.

Now he's (supposedly) the best player in the world.

Players aren't born that way, they work at it.

Babel will turn 22 this year, so it is due time that potential has to be realised. Big season for the lad, he did cost a packet, he has everything going for him thou, big, strong, fast, with a shot on him, attributes that see the new breed of wingers flourish.

This season he should get more starts, if Rafa doesn't sign an alternative, we should get a better idea of what level he is at and can achieve.

Wanna take a look back through all the previous Liverpool superthreads where everyone talked about how we need a selfish player?

Babel is learning his trade, and it's only by going past two players and having the confidence to take on the third - even if you fail - that you develop the ability to beat three players.

Ronaldo had a stuttering start to his carrer at Utd, with moments of brilliance, followed by him giving the ball away.

How many players are going to turn out like Ronaldo? As I said it's fantastic seeing him beat players, but he needs to improve his vision of the game, instead of trying to beat the 3rd player he should see the player wide open, already with a clear chance on goal. He does the hard work, but often he ignores the easier solution after that.

Glad you said supposedly, i always thought i was the best in the world :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I agree with those who says Babel has been frustrating a lot but seems to have loads of potential. Some of the games he played last year though he was dreadful, like the defeat at old trafford. I don't think I have seen a more anaemic display in a long time by an attacker of ours.

Hopefully this is the season he starts to add a bit of consistency to his starting displays as we really need someone that can make penetrating explosive runs down the flanks and cutting in. I think though that if he doesn't make an impact this season he may well not get another chance.

How many players are going to turn out like Ronaldo? As I said it's fantastic seeing him beat players, but he needs to improve his vision of the game, instead of trying to beat the 3rd player he should see the player wide open, already with a clear chance on goal. He does the hard work, but often he ignores the easier solution after that.

But we need a selfish player!
    Every top team has one.
    If you have a selfish player, with a touch of genius, all it takes is one moment to win a game.

Players like Ronaldo, Robben, Queresma, Figo back in the day, and IMO Babel, are game changers.
    We have a great team of unselfish passers, especially now with Keane.
    We need somebody who's willing to step up, and try and do the un-doable.

If nothing else, when Babel is running at three players, that's three players out of position, and creates tonnes of space for the others.

I remember Torres, Bennayoun and I think Gerrard, all scoring tap ins after Babel rounded a few fired a rocket of a shot that the keeper could just deflect, and then because all the defenders were surrounding Babel, we had players free in the six yard box.

Selfish players are neccesary.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement