Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

dont bull**** me now noodler.....how many times have you seen degan play?

God I hate smilies. So arrogant. Anyway, maybe you don't watch much football, but even then you should have seen him in the 2006 WC, or one of the numerous times he played in the CL with Basle or in Europe with Dortmund.

I would have liked to see him in the Euros, but he didn't get a minute on the pitch which didn't bode well.

Headless chicken is the word I would use to describe him. He was free, we didn't get him because he is quality. Not to mention he had an injury ravaged last season, even more so than Finnan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you didnt answer my question. 1? 5? 10? 12? 15?

Jesus in all? Christ if you want an exact number? Id say upwards of 15. Not including Cl highlights. I just told you how easily accessable the likes of Switz and Basle have been on TV over recent years. Hell, Basle were in our and Man U's group in consecutive years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

noodler wrote: »
    I think Degen is crap.

fair play to you,degen played 17 times in europe(15 times for basle).
    you are clearly a better football fan than me as i wouldnt go to my front garden to watch basle.

also fair play for giving him a decent chance to prove himself

Its 15 times over a couple of years. Stuart Byrne has played in Europe umpteen times for Irish clubs but it doesn't mean Liverpool should sign him. Dominance in the Swiss league, whilst admirable, isn't what I would call the real test.

It wasn't hard wathcing him play, Dortmund had Rosicky and Koller to watch at the time for a season. Basle were on TV playing utd and pool and we played the Swiss a million times in qualification whilst their appearance at touranaments puts them on TV.

Its 15 times over a couple of years. Stuart Byrne has played in Europe umpteen times for Irish clubs but it doesn't mean Liverpool should sign him. Dominance in the Swiss league, whilst admirable, isn't what I would call the real test.

It wasn't hard wathcing him play, Dortmund had Rosicky and Koller to watch at the time for a season. Basle were on TV playing utd and pool and we played the Swiss a million times in qualification whilst their appearance at touranaments puts them on TV.

you didnt see him for dortmund he has only played 2 games in europe for them and i dont believe many hear watched highlights of basle in the champions league.
    you are not giving him a chance is all im saying

Jesus in all? Christ if you want an exact number? Id say upwards of 15. Not including Cl highlights. I just told you how easily accessable the likes of Switz and Basle have been on TV over recent years. Hell, Basle were in our and Man U's group in consecutive years.

and how did the swiss left back play in WC 2006? or the serbian right back? or the angolan right winger? or the Saudi left back? or the tunisian striker? or the costa rican goalkeeper? or the Ukranian centre half? etc etc etc

you're extensive knowledge of football can surely recall-or do you just remember performances from people who would later go on to sign for Liverpool? strange that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Am i the only one who isnt believing Noodler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

15 times!
    Wow!
    Seeing as you're not including CL highlights, and only full matches!

So you've seen nearly all of his CL games, or do you watch Swiss or german football on a regular basis?

And he didn't play in the Euros as he was just back form an entire season with injuries, and was nowhere near fit.

The fact that as an injured player he still got his place in the squd tells me a hell of a lot more than the fact that he didn't play.

Degen is an unknown as of yet.
    Simple.

Obviously not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I believe Mr Alan could be in the same boat as you on that one!

raven136 wrote: »
    you didnt see him for dortmund he has only played 2 games in europe for them and i dont believe many hear watched highlights of basle in the champions league.
    you are not giving him a chance is all im saying

If you guys haven't seen him then thats a shame, but don't assume everyone knows as little about him as you. You don't believe Irish football fans would watch Liverpool play Basle? Or Utd play Basle? What about Ireland versus Switzerland? Plenty of people watch every games of major summer football tournaments as well. You make it sound like Dortmund are some Scottish 3rd division team.

Anyway, if you are both admitting you haven't seen him play then maybe this explains the optimism. I am sure he will get a chance, I just don't see any other reason for signing a player who had a stop-start career at a German team outside of their top 3 other than for the reason he was free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A quick straw poll,how many of you lot have bought the new Jersey..?

Dub13 wrote: »

nope. jerseys aint really my cup of tea though.

If you guys haven't seen him then thats a shame, but don't assume everyone knows as little about him as you. You don't believe Irish football fans would watch Liverpool play Basle? Or Utd play Basle? What about Ireland versus Switzerland? Plenty of people watch every games of major summer football tournaments as well. You make it sound like Dortmund are some Scottish 3rd division team.

How long did he play against Liverpool for?

Girlfriend bought me the home and away one. Wouldn't have got them myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Nope.
    Was gonna get the away strip but it doesn't look very nice

I wounder if the boycot is having an effect on the sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Riera is a similar styled winger as Jonás Gutiérrez. Except Riera is taller.

• Advertisement

If it is i think we should all go out and buy the 3 full kits so Rafa can get the players he wants.

If it is i think we should all go out and buy the 3 full kits so Rafa can get the players he wants.

Why....I support the boycot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Arg - what a depressing day of news.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Riera is a similar styled winger as Jonás Gutiérrez. Except Riera is taller.

in that case sign him up that gutierrez fella was ****ing brilliant at the weekend!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't bought it. I definitely would have were it not for the boycott.
    It's certainly having an effect I'm sure but it's probably not having enough of an effect as Dumb and Dumber aren't showing any signs of going anywhere :(.

Anyway, if you are both admitting you haven't seen him play then maybe this explains the optimism. I am sure he will get a chance, I just don't see any other reason for signing a player who had a stop-start career at a German team outside of their top 3 other than for the reason he was free.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not only play against Ireland for the Swiss once.
    I know he played at least once against Liverpool, but that was as a 17-18 year old sub.

Not sure about Utd.

Also seeing as your memory is awfully scethchy, I think there's a good chance that you may be confusing him with his identical twin brother, both of whom are wide right players.

All in all though, I'm not so sure how you saw him so many times.

• Advertisement

Nah he did. He played against us in the 0-0 at Lansdowne at the very least. Not in the EURO 2004 campaign I don't think tho.

havent bought any of the new kits or merchandise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I support the boycott.Bought my shirt from thailand.23 bucks with Torres 9 on the back.Gillette and hicks can go to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

in that case sign him up that gutierrez fella was ****ing brilliant at the weekend!;)

Hahaha, he can potentially make the same impact alright, maybe even more...

Why....I support the boycot.

But the club needs money, no?

• Advertisement

Nobody can completely judge Degen until weve seen him for a season or so but lets face it guys, its highly unlikely that he is going to set the world alight. Playing in the Swiss/German leagues until he was 25 and is pretty much unknown. None of the Borussia Dortmund fans that I have spoken to rate him highly. Most are unsure if he was even the best RB in the team.

He may turn out to be an ok signing considering he was free, but I'm not expecting much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gixerfixer wrote: »
    I support the boycott.Bought my shirt from thailand.23 bucks with Torres 9 on the back.Gillette and hicks can go to hell

same for me except with Keane 7:cool: gonna get the grey one, when they get it, with Agger 5 - what a legend!

EDIT: oh and the reason they wont sanction the Barry deal is he wont add value to the club, like Torres has added to the value to the club when they eventually sell - so paying 20m for Torres has added at least another 50m onto the valuation of the clubs assets, i highly doubt Keane's value will go up but it is more likely than Barry. thats how i see it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just to let yous 'Pool fans know, Lucas just been sent off at the Olympics.

So could be back earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Looks like Lucas will be ack for the weekend: Argies are 3-0 up. And he just got sent off for fouling.... Mascherano.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

For a tackle on Masch :D

Oh christ, another brazilian gone for a tackle on Masch

Will he be banned from the 3rd place play off then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Looks like Lucas will be ack for the weekend: Argies are 3-0 up. And he just got sent off for fouling.... Mascherano.

Cheers ref - one of the weakest red cards ever - no 3rd place playoff for Lucas:D

But the club needs money, no?

it needs new owners more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its apity it wasnt the other way around :)

Youd be wrong. He played against us in the 0-0 at Lansdowne at the very least. Not in the EURO 2004 campaign I don't think tho.

So I say that he's only played once that I can think of, and you say that I'm wrong by listing one time he played!

You see what I'm getting at?!!

Well done.

And good job on ignoring the fact that I pointed out he came on as an 18 year old sub against us 6 years ago, but you can use that to tell us how "crap" he is.

You must have a great memory if you can remember how a young 18 year sub played for 20 or so minutes in a game 6 years ago!

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I've bought the long slieve home jersey but have held back on the away and cl away. Any chance of Masch getting sent off:)

Tusky wrote: »
    Nobody can completely judge Degen until weve seen him for a season or so but lets face it guys, its highly unlikely that he is going to set the world alight. Playing in the Swiss/German leagues until he was 25 and is pretty much unknown. None of the Borussia Dortmund fans that I have spoken to rate him highly. Most are unsure if he was even the best RB in the team.

He may turn out to be an ok signing considering he was free, but I'm not expecting much.

But Arshavin, playing in Russian leagues till he was 27 is a world beater?!

Not saying Degen is good BTW, just that Arshavin is massively over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its apity it wasnt the other way around :)

This is true. but maybe he could send Mascherano off as well...?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

it needs new owners more.

Thats true. I just find it weird when Rafa he cant get the money to buy players and then fans boycott merchandise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

This is true. but maybe he could send Mascherano off as well...?!

It would be nice to have him for saturday :p

It won't bring him back sooner.
    Even if he can't play in the 3rd/4th place play off, he'd still be staying for the medal ceremony.

But Arshavin, playing in Russian leagues till he was 27 is a world beater?!

Not saying Degen is good BTW, just that Arshavin is massively over-rated.

Well Arsharvin seems to be a one in a million player. Its not often that you have a player like him playing in such a bad league until that age. (I've only seen him at the Euros so Ive no idea how good he really is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Will he be banned from the 3rd place play off then ?

Pretty sure one of the commentators in the Liverpool v Liege game mentioned that a red card in the Olympics was an automatic one game ban. Was talking about the Belgian player for Liege who got sent off .

Thats true. I just find it weird when Rafa he cant get the money to buy players and then fans boycott merchandise.

do you think the amount of jerseys sold this summer dictates rafa budget?:confused:

even if it did, i'd take a few more 4th place finishes to get rid of these yanks tbh.

• Advertisement

Well Arsharvin seems to be a one in a million player. Its not often that you have a player like him playing in such a bad league until that age. (I've only seen him at the Euros so Ive no idea how good he really is).

He's not as good as some make out.

No player is world class in a lower league untill they're 27.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement