Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

It won't bring him back sooner.
    Even if he can't play in the 3rd/4th place play off, he'd still be staying for the medal ceremony.

Do you think? I can see him being on the next flight out of there. I would be very surprised if he hung around for a poxy medal ceremony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Do you think? I can see him being on the next flight out of there. I would be very surprised if he hung around for a poxy medal ceremony

Eh, it's the Olympics? Wouldn't call it poxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

It won't bring him back sooner.
    Even if he can't play in the 3rd/4th place play off, he'd still be staying for the medal ceremony.

Never thought about that.... fuck and fuck again. As long as he is back and raring to go for the 31st(villa need a good wiping for not selling us their captain on the cheap) this month and the 13th against that lot (we should know by then if we are challengers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do you think the amount of jerseys sold this summer dictates rafa budget?:confused:

even if it did, i'd take a few more 4th place finishes to get rid of these yanks tbh.

No...of course its entirely different. But I wouldn't judge anyone buying merchandise.

I think any more 4th place finishes would see the end of Rafa as long as the americans are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Olympic football is second only to the World cup in South America.

It means a lot more to them than us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

SantryRed wrote: »
    Eh, it's the Olympics? Wouldn't call it poxy.

I'm not calling the Olympics poxy - I'm calling the medal ceremony poxy and that's in the sense of looking at it from Lucas's point of view. I'm sure Masch will be jumping around like a loon if they do pick up the gold.

Can imagine the mood in the Brazil camp being poisionous and not a happy place to be.

If you were in Lucas's boots, would you be hanging around to watch a game you can't play in, for the possibility of maybe getting a medal your entire country will see as a massive failure, while watching your arch-rivals celebrating or would you be packing your bags saying "my boss rafa wants me back" If I was Lucas I'd be in the taxi to the airport at the moment. Only my opinion but I would be very disappointed if he was still faffing around in China at the weekend.

I bought the away jersey cause I had a gift voucher and don't wear any other kinda sports clothes
    (Already have my Limerick and Munster jerseys!:p)

I ordered the home and European strip off Jomajung the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So I say that he's only played once that I can think of, and you say that I'm wrong by listing one time he played!

You see what I'm getting at?!!

Well done.

And good job on ignoring the fact that I pointed out he came on as an 18 year old sub against us 6 years ago, but you can use that to tell us how "crap" he is.

You must have a great memory if you can remember how a young 18 year sub played for 20 or so minutes in a game 6 years ago!

Well done!

Would you use the same argument for his appearances in the World Cup? or performances with Basle? I only listed the more likely games you may have seen him in since you obviously can not fathom someone watching a game you didn't.

Why are you using the example of him as an 18 year old? Look I am not going to argue about it anymore. I have seen him play enough times to have an opinion, Im sure lots of people have formed opinions on players they watched alot less than 15 games. I think he will be playing in insignificant games like the Carling Cup.

You generally don't get world beaters for free.

noodler wrote: »
    Would you use the same argument for his appearances in the World Cup? or performances with Basle? I only listed the more likely games you may have seen him in since you obviously can not fathom someone watching a game you didn't.

Why are you using the example of him as an 18 year old? Look I am not going to argue about it anymore. I have seen him play enough times to have an opinion, Im sure lots of people have formed opinions on players they watched alot less than 15 games. I think he will be playing in insignificant games like the Carling Cup.

You really are good at ignoring/dodging questions.

And name one person here who said that he was a world beater?

So by your logic, anyone who isn't world class, is "crap", to use your parlance!

Damn.
    That's a lot of crap players right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

noodler wrote: »

Michael Ballack is a world beater and was free! Anway Degen is back up to Arbeloa and offers more in attack so i dont see the problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You really are good at ignoring/dodging questions.

And name one person here who said that he was a world beater?

So by your logic, anyone who isn't world class, is "crap", to use your parlance!

Damn.
    That's a lot of crap players right there!

I see you said he played against Ireland once, I misread it as none. Is that what you mean by dodgeing questions?

Anyway don't argue over the semantics of a player. I said he was crap, I think we all recognise it as a relative term. People could qaualify every opinion on a player with "for a professional footballer if you like". I think it is implied though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I love Liverpool FC, x

2000th post so I thought Id say something worthwhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

He's not as good as some make out.

No player is world class in a lower league untill they're 27.

Yea but the Russian league is slightly different in that it has had a lot of money pumped into it in the last few years, paying players like Arseshaving a sh!itload of cash to stay in the league.

Heard the comment during the Euros that it could only happen in Russia..

Saw a good bit of him last year with Zenit and then went to the Euros and saw him there. He was unbelievable. The Spain game was a once off, totally off the pace. Every other game, he dominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Probably best if he's judged on his performances for us.

Steve Finnan was 'crap' in his first season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tusky wrote: »
    Babel.. ?
    I actually like watching Babel but I don't think that he is what Liverpool need on the left. He comes inside far too often and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired, and thats when he does cross, he is more likely to look for a 1 2 than cross. Liverpool need width imo and thats why I see Downing as the perfect player for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

zAbbo wrote: »
    Probably best if he's judged on his performances for us.

Steve Finnan was 'crap' in his first season

Was he?? I thought he slotted in nicely when he moved?? He was a very good / underrated player for us. Got more recognition this side of the water cause he's Irish, very underrated by most pool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Lucas sent off for fouling Mascherano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That happened about 2 hours back! (its not live on RTE) Apparently Lucas did well with his defensive duties.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

mike65 wrote: »
    That happened about 2 hours back! (its not live on RTE) Apparently Lucas did well with his defensive duties.

Mike.
    saw bits and pieces of!
    lucas looks slow and for a brazilian not overly comfortable on the ball again!

darragh maloney just said it was a terrible challenge too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Thats true. I just find it weird when Rafa he cant get the money to buy players and then fans boycott merchandise.

The reason is if dumb and dumber see that there is no money to be made from the club they will sell on to D.I.C. and yes before you ask D.I.C. will be in it to make money but they are not clowns like Hicks and Gillett.They realise that you have to spend big to be successful in the premiership.From a personal standpoint i'd rather see the club linger in a mid table positon for a couple of years if it will rid us of the two yanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

ibh wrote: »
    Was he?? I thought he slotted in nicely when he moved?? He was a very good / underrated player for us. Got more recognition this side of the water cause he's Irish, very underrated by most pool fans.

couldn't agree more with you finnan has been underrated for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Skysports.com reporting Riera deal could be back on with Liverpool favourites to land him.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4011751,00.html

ibh wrote: »

Finnan was decidely average during his first year, and came on the back of being recognised as the best right back in the league.

His performance was so lacking, that when Rafa came in, he immediately tried to strengthen the RB slot with Joesemi (heh), but he was simply amazing in Rafa's first two years.

He's still quality, and I'd say he's very much rated by Liverpool fans, if not under-rated elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I rate Finnan, I just dont think theres room for 3 right backs in the team. Seeing as Degen has just been bought and Arbeloa is probably first choice at this stage, it has to be Finnan to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The one thing about Finnan is that he can cover either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So can Arbeloa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

So can Arbeloa

damn beat me to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

eagle eye wrote: »
    The one thing about Finnan is that he can cover either side.
    he can put in good crosses...arbeloa on the other hand :rolleyes:

So can Degen, by all accounts.

Finnan is a solid defender, and he offers decent width in attack. In my book, Arbeloa is stronger defensively and can cover more positions, and Degen has been brought in ostensibly to provide width when we go forward. Take into account Finnan's age, and it's fair enough to say that he's going to be shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great! We have an ambidextrous set of average right backs.

Mike.

Is Arbeloa only average? He's a European Champion with only Sergio Ramos, arguably the world's best right-back, ahead of him for the national side. He kept Leo Messi in his pocket in his debut match, even though he was deployed at left-back.

He's not great going forward, but he can definitely do a top job defensively.

Is Degen average? I really don't know. I haven't seen him play. His previous record, his fee and reports don't bode particularly well, but there are plenty of occasions where players have been plucked from obscurity by a top club and prospered. Rafa has a great track record with defensive signings. Who had heard of Skrtl or Arbeloa before they signed? Or to go back even further, who had heard of Henchoz, Hyypia or Riise? Give the lad a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is Arbeloa only average? He's a European Champion with only Sergio Ramos, arguably the world's best right-back, ahead of him for the national side.

He is a European Champion but come on? Ramos is muck in my opinion. Defenders first job is always to defend, something Ramos is terrible at.
    He kept Leo Messi in his pocket in his debut match, even though he was deployed at left-back.

From memory it was Riise who man marked Messi that night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Boggles wrote: »
    He is a European Champion but come on? Ramos is muck in my opinion. Defenders first job is always to defend, something Ramos is terrible at.

Ramos was the best defender in Spain last year, was Spains best defender during the summer. Get off Eamonn Dunphy's cóck and actually watch football.

It wasnt Riise, it was Arbeloa who marked Messi out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

personally i dont rate arbeloa, as said i think he can do a job for us in a given game and he'd be a fine john o'shea type player to have who can play anywhere across the back when we're in need. but to rely on him as the first choice right back? not for me, i dont see it. good defensively, very average going forward.

only rafa and his staff really know what level of fitness and what they think finnan has left in the tank, but if it was me and based on what we've got in the position i'd hold onto finnan for another year and see if arbeloa pushes on and improves (he's still only 22) or see if we can sign an improvement next summer.

i'm hoping degen suprises us, he hasn't had a good run without injurys in a year or so by the looks of things so hopefully he can get a run together. we dont need an aurelio on the right

either way its a postion we could improve on. but lack of money and all...

I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't agree Ramos is amongst the top full-backs in the world.

Riise was in midfield. Finnan was right-back, Arbeloa was left-back. Rafa's thinking was to play Arbeloa at left-back because the fit-again Messi would be cutting inside from the right.

Quality post as always though boggles.

• Advertisement

Riise was in midfield. Finnan was right-back, Arbeloa was left-back. Rafa's thinking was to play Arbeloa at left-back because the fit-again Messi would be cutting inside from the right.

Quality post as always though boggles.

Do you get all your information from Wikipedia? ;)

el rabitos wrote: »
    see if arbeloa pushes on and improves (he's still only 22) or see if we can sign an improvement next summer.

Arbeloa is 25

Just for once, admit you were wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Arbeloa is good but Id prefer he was our back up rather than first choice. Hes not nearly as good as the likes of Cole, Bossingwa, Evra, Clichy or Sagna, and thats the level we should be aiming at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Melion wrote: »
    Arbeloa is 25

****, my bad. dunno why i thought he was 22. looks like he's as good as he's getting so

• Advertisement

He's solid. The only improvements on him in the premiership would be Richards and Sagna and i dont see either of them being sold to us. Im quite happy to have Arbeloa as our first choice RB.

Nope, it was well commented on around the time of the game. Arbeloa was signed as a right-back, and it was one of Rafa's tactical shocks when the line-ups came out.

Do you get all your erroneous information from voices in your head?

I'd say most Liverpool fans would know that in Arbeloa's full debut in the Nou Camp he was asked to play LB to counter Messi cutting inside.

For someone with such an unhealty interest in LFC, I'd expect you to know that 'from memory' :)

Arbeloa is good but Id prefer he was our back up rather than first choice. Hes not nearly as good as the likes of Cole, Bossingwa, Evra, Clichy or Sagna, and thats the level we should be aiming at.

Out of that list, I'd only have Evra, Clichy or Sagna ahead of Arbeloa. Cole is hugely inconsistent and seems to be coasting on a reputation established at Arsenal - when he emerged at a time when English left-sided players were rarer than hen's teeth. I know nothing about Boswinga only that Chelsea payed a huge amount for him, but also that Scolari favoured Ferreira to him with Portugal.

At the end of the day, Arbeloa is employed to do one job only - defend. He does this job very well, and Liverpool fans can have no complaints with this respect. This year, Rafa has clearly indicated that he wants more width from his full-backs. I can't picture Arbeloa flying up and down the touchline, but then I don't know. In games were an attacking full-back is needed, I'd imagine we'll see Degen get a run out.

Riise was in midfield. Finnan was right-back, Arbeloa was left-back.

Riise played ahead of Arbeloa on the left, there was no great tactics whatever Wikipedia would have you believe, Rafa put 2 defenders on Messi that is all.
    Just for once, admit you were wrong

What "wrong" would you like me to admit?

zAbbo wrote: »
    For someone with such an unhealty interest in LFC, I'd expect you to know that 'from memory'

Are you suggesting there is something wrong with people who have an interest in Liverpool football club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lol boggles. bless ya. are you really that bored that you just make things up now? or is that just one of those OPINIONS that you keep going on about

i wouldnt bother getting rid of finnan. we wouldnt get enough to make it worth while as i dont think degen would be up for it. the sub right back for switzerland? cant be that good then.

Reira good or bad? havent seen too much of him tbh

Riise played ahead of Arbeloa on the left, there was no great tactics whatever Wikipedia would have you believe, Rafa put 2 defenders on Messi that is all.

Err, you're wrong. We took the game to Barcelona, and Riise was playing as a left-winger. He was involved in a lot of our attacking play that night - not least his goal. Not many opposition full-backs find themselves in the home-team's penalty area at Nou Camp, do they?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6371395.stm

There's a match report I googled. It gives you a little sense of the mentality and the football we were playing that night, including Riise's involvement in our attacks - with nary a mention of Messi being double-marked.

What "wrong" would you like me to admit?

That Arbeloa played at left back, not Riise.

Jazzy wrote: »
    lol boggles. bless ya. are you really that bored that you just make things up now?

What have I made up?
    That Arbeloa played at left back, not Riise.

Jesus Christ, where did I say that?

Err, you're wrong. We took the game to Barcelona, and Riise was playing as a left-winger. H

How exactly am I wrong?? That's exactly where I said Riise was playing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement