Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Boggles wrote: »
    How exactly am I wrong?? That's exactly where I said Riise was playing.

you said from memory riise was marking messi, and now you say that you were implying riise was playing on the wing,
    wingers don't mark wingers, never have, never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How exactly am I wrong?? That's exactly where I said Riise was playing.

So, to be clear:

Arbeloa was at left-back, marking Messi. Riise was deployed as a left-winger, and wasn't instructed to double-mark Messi.

That's not to say he didn't track back when Liverpool weren't in possession, but he was not employed to double-mark Messi in any way, shape or form.

Is that what you mean? Because that's what happened on the night. I can remember the game clear as day, as many other 'pool fans can, I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Where exactly am I wrong?? That's exactly where I said Riise was playing.

Sigh, the bit where you said Riise man marked Messi, despite them both playing high up the pitch on the left...so about 40 yards between Riise and Messi.

'From Memory' you'd know that we attacked a frail Barcelona team that night, with Riise given the licence to bomb forward, while Alvara picked up Messi.

And Messi did threaten, just not out wide - he was forced inside where Sissoko was given the role to pick up players moving between midfield and defence.
    Boggles wrote:
    Are you suggesting there is something wrong with people who have an interest in Liverpool football club?
    No, just those with an unhealthy interest, while consistently talking through their hoop :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

zAbbo wrote: »
    Sigh, the bit where you said Riise man marked Messi, despite them both playing high up the pitch on the left...so about 40 yards between Riise and Messi.

Messi played on the right that night, by yer own admission Arbeloa played on the left, so how was he marking Messi if he was at the other side of the pitch?:rolleyes:

But then again I watched the match, something you obviously didn't do, or you would have know that right?
    mayordenis wrote: »
    you said from memory riise was marking messi, and now you say that you were implying riise was playing on the wing,
    wingers don't mark wingers, never have, never will.

Wingers should always pick up the runs of opposing wingers.

Yup, Obviously Messi played on the right, I think you've misunderstood me there, Messi played high up on our left (his right)

I did watch the game (twice :))

Do you still think Riise man marked Messi, just so we're clear?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Messi played on the right that night, by yer own admission Arbeloa played on the left, so how was he marking Messi if he was at the other side of the pitch?:rolleyes:

But then again I watched the match, something you obviously didn't do, or you would have know that right?

Oh dear god :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

barca's right is liverpools left.

but then again you watc.....oh

Haha! This is the best quote ever.

Arbeloa played on Liverpool's left. Messi played on Barcelona's right. They attacked opposite ends of the pitch. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that Liverpool's left-side would line up against Barcelona's right. Not only that, but Liverpool's defence would line-up against Barcelona's attack, and vice-versa.

So, mystery solved. Riise was the other end of the pitch to Messi, who was instead in Arbeloa's pocket.

Do you need a diagram?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cos teams line up like this:

GK

-RB----CB
    CB
    LB

CM
    CM

RWF
    AMF
    LWF

FW

FW

LWF
    AMF
    RWF

CM
    CM

-LB
    CB
    CB
    RB---

GK

and yes Boggles, those cows appear small because they are far away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

w00t, that is sig worthy. Somebody should really stick that in their signature.

hahahaha

Excellent we are all on the same page. Riise who is primarly a defender, played on the left with Arbola and if it makes ye happy, they both did a great job against Messi.

Tactially against Messi, Benitez played 2 defenders on the left wing.

Is that okay with everyone?

Yup, Obviously Messi played on the right, I think you've misunderstood me there, Messi played high up on our left (his right)

Thats is where the confusion stemmed from alright.

Excellent we are all on the same page. Riise who is primarly a defender, played on the left with Arbola and if it makes ye happy, they both did a great job against Messi.

But how did they both do it if they were on the opposite side of the pitch to Messi?

Melion wrote: »
    But how did they both do it if they were on the opposite side of the pitch to Messi?

Goodnight

Goodnight

You're not off already are you?

Watching you try to wriggle out of making a fool of yourself is giving me great enjoyment

• Advertisement

Nope, sorry. That doesn't wash at all.

Arbeloa and Sissoko did a good job against Messi. Riise was deployed as a winger (as he often was under Benitez), and did not double up on Messi.

To say 'Arbeloa and Riise did a great job on Messi' is akin to saying 'Arbeloa and Alonso did a great job on Messi'. Sure, both players were on the pitch, and both players tracked back and defended with the team. Arbeloa was the player tasked with defending against Messi though.

Come on now boggles... it's just a little stretch to admit it now. Arbeloa played left-back on his debut, was tasked with keeping Messi quiet, and excelled in doing so. No?

Jazzy wrote: »

and yes Boggles, those cows appear small because they are far away....

dreamsyu1.gif

Melion wrote: »
    You're not off already are you?

Watching you try to wriggle out of making a fool of yourself is giving me great enjoyment

I hope not too much enjoyment. Weirdo. It was a misunderstanding, you can stop masturbating. :rolleyes:

Nope, sorry. That doesn't wash at all.

Arbeloa and Sissoko did a good job against Messi. Riise was deployed as a winger (as he often was under Benitez), and did not double up on Messi.

Riise is hardly an out and out winger, he is more defensive minded than attack, to suggest Rafa put 2 defensive minded players on the wing is not a slur on his tactics. Rafa was ovbiously expecting more from Barcelona than they offered.

oooohhh boggles, think this one is getting beyond ya. a little bit of a balls up on the last page now doesnt bode well. sure, didnt riise even score that night too? did this while double marking messi or something didnt he? cos Arbeloa is obviously such a crap and useless player (his Liverpool shirt also makes him sub-standard just so we are on the same line yeah?) that he required constant help from riise. because that Zambrotta fella never gets forward either does he? and Riise didnt need to watch him so he was free to help the Awesomely Average Alvaro Arbeloa because he obviously didnt know wat he was doing. cos he is so sub-standard.

isnt that right professor? you've had a good night tonite, but i think u should go for the old Start ---> Shut Down option at this stage, lest you want to shower us with more of ur brilliant football OPINIONS such as "Messi and Kaka wouldnt get on my world 11", "Sergio Ramos is a rubbish defender" and of course the most recent "Messi played on the right that night, by yer own admission Arbeloa played on the left, so how was he marking Messi if he was at the other side of the pitch?"

oooohhh boggles, think this one is getting beyond ya. a little bit of a balls up on the last page now doesnt bode well. sure, didnt riise even score that night too? did this while double marking messi or something didnt he? cos Arbeloa is obviously such a crap and useless player (his Liverpool shirt also makes him sub-standard just so we are on the same line yeah?) that he required constant help from riise. because that Zambrotta fella never gets forward either does he? and Riise didnt need to watch him so he was free to help the Awesomely Average Alvaro Arbeloa because he obviously didnt know wat he was doing. cos he is so sub-standard.

isnt that right professor? you've had a good night tonite, but i think u should go for the old Start ---> Shut Down option at this stage, lest you want to shower us with more of ur brilliant football OPINIONS such as "Messi and Kaka wouldnt get on my world 11", "Sergio Ramos is a rubbish defender" and of course the most recent "Messi played on the right that night, by yer own admission Arbeloa played on the left, so how was he marking Messi if he was at the other side of the pitch?"
    despite them both playing high up the pitch on the left...so about 40 yards between Riise and Messi.

Misunderstanding was here and admitted as much by the poster. Why do you always like discussing me and not the posts?

Either way part of your advice is probably for the best.

• Advertisement

I hope not too much enjoyment. Weirdo. It was a misunderstanding, you can stop masturbating. :rolleyes:

oooooooohhhhhh... abuse! brilliant!
    think we've cracked boggles now.

calm down calm down.... sure its all OPINIONS isnt it professor? no need to get in a hump. try and forget about it, tomorow is a new day sure and you can have another crack at the tropinions then when we have forgotten about ur little whoopsie

Riise is hardly an out and out winger, he is more defensive minded than attack, to suggest Rafa put 2 defensive minded players on the wing is not a slur on his tactics. Rafa was ovbiously expecting more from Barcelona than they offered.

Right, I get you. The goalposts have shifted. No longer are we arguing how crap Arbeloa is. We are now arguing if Riise was deployed as an attacking player, or to defend?

He was deployed as a winger, and in this role, he was no more defensive than any other winger in modern football. This is evidenced by the goal he scored - how many defensively-minded midfielders are going to find themselves in the home penalty box at the Camp Nou, when defending a 1-1 advantage?

Right, I get you. The goalposts have shifted. No longer are we arguing how crap Arbeloa .

When did I make any reference to how good or bad Arbeloa was?

Boggles wrote:
    He is a European Champion but come on? Ramos is muck in my opinion. Defenders first job is always to defend, something Ramos is terrible at.

so if Ramos is muck and Arbeloa cant get his game ahead of him, then obviously he must be worse then muck?

not a good night at all professor

Presumably your rebuttal to my point that Arbeloa man-marked Messi in Barcelona (where you said Riise played left-back that evening) was to refute my claims that Arbeloa was a solid defender.

Or was is just pedantry? Do you even have a point?

so if Ramos is muck and Arbeloa cant get his game ahead of him, then obviously he must be worse then muck?

not a good night at all professor

Not at all I was arguing the point made that Ramos was the best full back in the world.
    Presumably your rebuttal to my point that Arbeloa man-marked Messi in Barcelona (where you said Riise played left-back that evening) was to refute my claims that Arbeloa was a solid defender.

Never said Riise played left back.

Never said Riise played left back.

but you did say he was marking Messi. therefore implying that Arbeloa was not up to the job.
    but he obviously was as Messi had quite a quiet game... without Riise "double marking" him... cos Riise wasnt, as that would have let Zambrotta push forward which is something im sure Rafa and Liverpool did not want.

what is ur point out of all your OPINIONS tonite Boggles? i cant really see one...
    unless its that Arbeloa is a sub-standard defender, as that has been ur implication all the way through. so is he or isnt he? nail it on the head professor

I think you read too much into things Zazzy, if I were as paranoid as you I would think you were stalking me. ;)

I think you read too much into things Zazzy, if I were as paranoid as you I would think you were stalking me. ;)

nope. i just think ur one of the reasons ppl dont enjoy this forum as much as they used to. and by forum, i mean the whole forum - not just this thread as you might try and make out.

btw, you didnt answer the question -
    "what is ur point out of all your OPINIONS tonite Boggles? i cant really see one...
    unless its that Arbeloa is a sub-standard defender, as that has been ur implication all the way through. so is he or isnt he? nail it on the head professor"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Not at all I was arguing the point made that Ramos was the best full back in the world.

I'd back that one up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

gixerfixer wrote: »
    The reason is if dumb and dumber see that there is no money to be made from the club they will sell on to D.I.C. and yes before you ask D.I.C. will be in it to make money but they are not clowns like Hicks and Gillett.They realise that you have to spend big to be successful in the premiership.From a personal standpoint i'd rather see the club linger in a mid table positon for a couple of years if it will rid us of the two yanks.

That's just pure nonsense IMO.

I laughed at the idiocy of ManU fans when they started making boycotts, but I see now that LFC fans have fallen into the same trap.

Boycotting the club in any shape or form, is cutting off your nose to spite your face. It can do no good, it only prevents the club from getting revenue it would otherwise get.

A few years of lingering in a "mid table position" would be absolutely disasterous. Not only would we lose out on millions in revenue (and therefore players) we'd be allowing another club to gain those millions. If you miss the CL for two or more consecutive seasons, its damn damn hard to get back.

Its gas the way people see the arabs as some knight in shining armour. If they come to Liverpool it will be to make a profit. No different than the yanks. The momentum against the yanks by certain fans is unreal - and I bet most don't even know why.

IMO, they've only done one thing wrong - admit to meeting Klinsmann - and that was just a bit of naivitety on their part. In fairness they did make a mistake not getting rid of Parry as soon as they came, and that would have solved a lot of problems.

But remember these are the same yanks who bought Torres - already one of our best ever players. And Mascherano. And Keane. Our three most expensive signings ever! And people say they aren't spending money :rolleyes: They also bought our most expensive defender ever.

And don't go complaining about Barry. That is well and truly down to the fans. When the rumours of Barry in and Alonso out came, it was clear from fan sites like this, that a majority of LFC fans thought it a bad idea. And a clear majority thought £18m was too much. But the Lazio game was the real cruncher. About the only time the crowd stopped singing "Xabi Alonso" was when they sang "You can shove Gareth Barry up yer hole" or similar. When Parry fed this info back to the yanks, there was only going to be one outcome. Of course Parry is an idiot and still does not understand the realities of football. I'm sure he's the one who persuaded the yanks about Barry, and he wanted his name on the statement saying Barry is too dear - because his aim is to become Mr Popular with the fans to cement his position (didnt he just love being able to help with the Carlsberg/Sun issue too - "I took it to the highest level of the Carlsberg board in Copenhagen" :rolleyes: - and many did fall for that).

So to end: The boycott is a nonsense. Its stupid. Even if the Yanks had done bad things (which they havent IMO) the boycott would achieve nothing other than diverting some funds away from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

...IMO, they've only done one thing wrong - admit to meeting Klinsmann...
    Are you serious? So loading the club with debt, in effect having the club pay for itself wasn't wrong? Undermining the manager more than once wasn't wrong? Washing their dirty laundry in public on the eve of vital Champions League games wasn't wrong?

malice_ wrote: »
    Are you serious? So loading the club with debt, in effect having the club pay for itself wasn't wrong? Undermining the manager more than once wasn't wrong? Washing their dirty laundry in public on the eve of vital Champions League games wasn't wrong?

couldn't agree more the sooner this mess gets sorted the better for all involved, they will sell in the end we are just gonna have to wait :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That's just pure nonsense IMO.

It is nonsense. I would rather see liverpool at the top of the table in May making millions for the americans than middle table mediocraty.

It would be great to see the americans out of there as well but if we are stuck with them we might as well try and be successful.
    Even if the Yanks had done bad things (which they havent IMO)

I disagree with this though...they have been far too vocal about Benitez and the club in general. If you compare this to Utd, the Glazers are rarely quoted about the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

malice_ wrote: »

Rafa was just as much to blame as them for the public bickering that went on. In fact almost all of their comment was in response to something Rafa had said in puclic. But it was all way exaggerated and much ado about nothing. They had an argument, they've closed it, move on.

Like any other purchase of a big business it was funded by debt. Do you honestly think any other purchaser would have done it differently? Do you think the debt will disappear if DIC take over? If you do, you're delusional. In fact if they come in at a higher price than the yanks did, then the debt would be more likely to increase.

Rafa was just as much to blame as them for the public bickering that went on. In fact almost all of their comment was in response to something Rafa had said in puclic. But it was all way exaggerated and much ado about nothing. They had an argument, they've closed it, move on.

Like any other purchase of a big business it was funded by debt. Do you honestly think any other purchaser would have done it differently? Do you think the debt will disappear if DIC take over? If you do, you're delusional. In fact if they come in at a higher price than the yanks did, then the debt would be more likely to increase.

Some nice points there rooster :), im not sure about the in's and out's of DIC Finances but debt is gonna appear no matter what type of business, it all depends on the long term plan of these companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

nope. i just think ur one of the reasons ppl dont enjoy this forum as much as they used to. and by forum, i mean the whole forum - not just this thread as you might try and make out.

btw, you didnt answer the question -
    "what is ur point out of all your OPINIONS tonite Boggles? i cant really see one...
    unless its that Arbeloa is a sub-standard defender, as that has been ur implication all the way through. so is he or isnt he? nail it on the head professor"

+ 1

Nothing of note in this mornings papers, apart from some rehashed stories in a certain redtop rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

They had an argument, they've closed it, move on.
    Unfortunately it's not that simple - so much damage has been done over the last 18 months or so. There are so many camps & factions within LFC now it's just not healthy - Hicks v Gillet, Hicks v Parry, Parry v Rafa, Gillet v Rafa, Parry v Ayre, Gillet v Ayre and so on. Last I heard Gillet & Hicks were still not talking to each other but 'their people' had finally started talking to each other again which is a start.

A hell of a lot of people will need to kiss n makeup if there's to be any real stability at the club going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When I scan this thread first thing its easy to tell when peeps are posting in the wee small hours without looking at the time stamp.

Mike.

Seriously Mike, you should stay on boards after 9pm, it can get a little fruity :)

I'm usually here till midnight, its from about 00.30 to 03.00 that things go to hell. :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Err, you're wrong. We took the game to Barcelona, and Riise was playing as a left-winger. He was involved in a lot of our attacking play that night - not least his goal. Not many opposition full-backs find themselves in the home-team's penalty area at Nou Camp, do they?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6371395.stm

There's a match report I googled. It gives you a little sense of the mentality and the football we were playing that night, including Riise's involvement in our attacks - with nary a mention of Messi being double-marked.

From the match report.
    Bellamy teed up Riise to fire home

Oh the hilarity!:D

Oh the hilarity!:D

Oh the relief that he didn't hit the crossbar....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sweet Jesus, Boggles usually talks ****e, but reading over last night's posts from him just there had me in stitches. The way he tried to wriggle out of things and therefore adding more sh!te on to an original opinion that he couldn't seem to remember was just hilarious. The brilliant thing was he actually admitted to watching the match!!!!
    Have to say, Boggles' posts last night is why i don't use the ignore button. Cos now and again, you're gonna get some gems. Brilliantly hilariously ignorant. Take a bow Boggles, you've outdone yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Awesomely Average Alvaro Arbeloa

Say that 5 times fast!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rieras agent has come out and said that we are trying to sign Riera but espanyol want 16m.

16m! Since when did Martin O'Neil work for Espanyol

16m! Since when did Martin O'Neil work for Espanyol

LOL

16m is too much I think.

This made me laugh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/default.stm

Poor fella is now fixed in our minds as a crock

Mike.