Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tusky wrote: »
    Rieras agent has come out and said that we are trying to sign Riera but espanyol want 16m.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_4013078,00.html

No offers aparently :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa and Montse talk to Radio City

http://www.radiocity.co.uk/Article.asp?id=847486&spid=

Thursday evening should worth a listen.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'd take Downing over Riera. Downing being consistent over the past few years in the Prem and having an excellent season last year. £12m being the fee being tossed about in the media.

What's peoples thoughts on giving Babel a run on the right with Downing on the left?

DeadSkin wrote: »
    What's peoples thoughts on giving Babel a run on the right with Downing on the left?

With keane and kyut there?
    We would have to change the formation to 4-4-2.

torres - keane
    downing - gerrard - mash - babel

Is that what youe mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I'd take Downing over Riera. Downing being consistent over the past few years in the Prem and having an excellent season last year. £12m being the fee being tossed about in the media.

I would have liked to see Babel given his chance up front on a regular basis but with Keane here now it's not gonna happen.Am i mistaken or is he right footed anyways? Yeah so right wing would make sense alright

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, Boggles usually talks ****e, but reading over last night's posts from him just there had me in stitches. The way he tried to wriggle out of things and therefore adding more sh!te on to an original opinion that he couldn't seem to remember was just hilarious. The brilliant thing was he actually admitted to watching the match!!!!
    Have to say, Boggles' posts last night is why i don't use the ignore button. Cos now and again, you're gonna get some gems. Brilliantly hilariously ignorant. Take a bow Boggles, you've outdone yourself.

Gotta admit im warming to the guy.He has some good points every now and then but when he screws up boy oh boy does he screw up :D

With keane and kyut there?
    We would have to change the formation to 4-4-2.

torres - keane
    downing - gerrard - mash - babel

Is that what youe mean?

Somethin like this

Gerrard-Masch
    -Babel----Keane---Downing
    Torres

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Am i mistaken or is he right footed anyways?
    Yep he's right footed

Somethin like this

Gerrard-Masch
    -Babel----Keane---Downing
    Torres

Hmmmm....I dunno would stevie be a good boy and cover the full backs when they go forward though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Babel would be terrible on the right.
    He has no left foot really, and is only implied on the left so he can cut in on his right.
    He's not there to cross, and having him cut in onto his weak foot would be pointless.

Hmmmm....I dunno would stevie be a good boy and cover the full backs when they go forward though.

Stevie should do what he's told :pac: :p
    Babel would be terrible on the right.
    He has no left foot really, and is only implied on the left so he can cut in on his right.
    He's not there to cross, and having him cut in onto his weak foot would be pointless.

So, with Riera linked to us, is he to play on the right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stevie should do what he's told :pac: :p

no we are bringing a real left winger in to provide width down the left when it gets too crowded in the centre like what happened against sunderland when auriello and el zhar - as mentioned in an article someone posted the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Looks like Cisse may be going on loan to Sunderland for the season
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4018572,00.html

He seems desperate to get back to the PL (insert punchline here).

Mike.

Babel isn't a winger.
    Riera is.

Babel is a forward being played on the wing to gain experience and game time.
    Just like Henry started on the wing.

mike65 wrote: »
    He seems desperate to get back to the PL (insert punchline here).

Mike.

Think it's more about him being desperate to get to the UK rather than the PL as such - apparently his wife/kids stayed behind when he moved to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

His brought his wife back so she could give birth to their son in England (probably so he can keep his title lordship of friedham)

zAbbo wrote: »
    His brought his wife back so she could give birth to their son in England (probably so he can keep his title lordship of friedham)

Cisse's kerazy!

zAbbo wrote: »
    lordship of friedham)

Mmmm - crispy Bacon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

interesting but strange insight into Rafas private life, radio interview with him and his mrs

http://www.radiocity.co.uk/article.asp?id=847486

• Advertisement

Babel isn't a winger.
    Riera is.

Babel is a forward being played on the wing to gain experience and game time.
    Just like Henry started on the wing.

Ah, I know he's not a winger :).
    Before any talk of the Keane transfer I was thinking/hoping we might see Babel as a striker/or just behind Torres in a few games this season. Then we signed Keane and thought that's gonna slim down the chance of that happening.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, Babel on the right. He has pace, and could offer more goin' forward than Kuyt maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, Boggles usually talks ****e, but reading over last night's posts from him just there had me in stitches. The way he tried to wriggle out of things and therefore adding more sh!te on to an original opinion that he couldn't seem to remember was just hilarious. The brilliant thing was he actually admitted to watching the match!!!!
    Have to say, Boggles' posts last night is why i don't use the ignore button. Cos now and again, you're gonna get some gems. Brilliantly hilariously ignorant. Take a bow Boggles, you've outdone yourself.

i know, but he hasnt been back since. still trying to decide whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. bad comedy wise, good discussion wise.
    i spose i could just stick on an episode of the office while i read boards, same effect.

anyhow - i do not want Stuart Downing at Liverpool. id prefer to wait till January to sign a better winger. in fact, id rather see Barry played as a left midfielder then get downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jazzy wrote: »
    anyhow - i do not want Stuart Downing at Liverpool. id prefer to wait till January to sign a better winger. in fact, id rather see Barry played as a left midfielder then get downing

harsh. he's not the best winger in the world, and i would prefer someone a little more 'electric', but he is a very good consistent player. would give us a good left side, him and Babel being very different options.

I dont know if i can discuss it here but alonso scored twice for spain tonight.

of course you can discuss it, its only Liverpool matches that are covered in the weekend/CL match threads you cant discuss, its not complicated.anything else is game ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ah sure he may have scored two, but you know those Danes give players a lot of time on the ball zzzzzz

• Advertisement

there is a different pace to international games and friendlies than there is to you standard premier league match....to suggest anything else is foolish tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    of course you can discuss it, its only Liverpool matches that are covered in the weekend/CL match threads you cant discuss, its not complicated.anything else is game ball

Huzzah :)
    I know it makes little difference but its always nice to see liverpool players on the score sheet.
    The other xabi scored too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    harsh. he's not the best winger in the world, and i would prefer someone a little more 'electric', but he is a very good consistent player. would give us a good left side, him and Babel being very different options.

i would prefer a bigger name myself but we've tried big names before and they ended in disaster ie. Kewell , downing could do a good job for us and he is a hard worker also.
    I dont know if i can discuss it here but alonso scored twice for spain tonight.

We have to keep Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

there is a different pace to international games and friendlies than there is to you standard premier league match....to suggest anything else is foolish tbh.

yea but the flip side to that is that there are generally a higher class of player in an International match. Alonso is not a saviour by any means, but there is no reason why he cant perform in the PL still.
    ive stated my opinion on the possible sale of Alonso here countless times so i won't go into it again. Bottom line for me is that if he is good enough for the Spain midfield, he should be good enough for our midfield.

ibh wrote: »
    Bottom line for me is that if he is good enough for the Spain midfield, he should be good enough for our midfield.

he is a squad player for Spain ;)

• Advertisement

he's a touch of class ;)

Every good game Alonso has is good for Liverpool in my opinion, I'm beginning to think if he scored a hat-trick against Man Utd it would'nt be enough for some.

Mike.

Every good game Alonso has is good for Liverpool in my opinion, I'm beginning to think if he scored a hat-trick against Man Utd it would'nt be enough for some.

Mike.

He usually plays well against Utd.

He usually plays well against Utd.

god i hope we beat utd in a few weeks we deserve a result against them after the last few season, but lets get over boro first :D, its one game at a time my friends ;)

pesireland wrote: »
    but lets get over boro first

What are the odds for Downing to score against us?

Edit: 7-1 on paddy power

First Xabi goal - Torres assist.

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nice, was initial pass to torres from xabi too?

copacetic wrote: »
    nice, was initial pass to torres from xabi too?

Not sure, looks like Xavi Hernandez

First Xabi goal - Torres assist.

Mike.

Made in liverpool :D, definitley Torres, you'd know by his run

All the goals for Spain.

Alonso's second is pretty sweet.

• Advertisement

Not by my definition of a squad player. He's the CM that doesn't play cause Fabregas or Xavi gets in there ahead of him. Nobody really like Senna so his place is secure when he's available.
    Someone like DeLa Red or Sergio Garcia is a squad player in my opinion. Kind of players who get a run out when a game doesn't require a win and 1st team can be rested.

I'm looking forward to seeing him and Mascher back together in Midfield, providing he isn't shipped off.
    Think Alonso probably realises that he now needs to improve his performances and he will have Lucas on his case even more this year. I think the key is for him to get into more advanced positions and use his vision and passing in an area where it can really hurt the opposition.

Not by my definition of a squad player. He's the CM that doesn't play cause Fabregas or Xavi gets in there ahead of him. Nobody really like Senna so his place is secure when he's available.
    Someone like DeLa Red or Sergio Garcia is a squad player in my opinion. Kind of players who get a run out when a game doesn't require a win and 1st team can be rested.

I'm looking forward to seeing him and Mascher back together in Midfield, providing he isn't shipped off.
    Think Alonso probably realises that he now needs to improve his performances and he will have Lucas on his case even more this year. I think the key is for him to get into more advanced positions and use his vision and passing in an area where it can really hurt the opposition.

Senna, Cesc, Xavi, Iniesta, and Silva are all ahead of him in the Spanish midfield set-up, as indicated in every meaningful game of Euro 08.

He is a squad player.

He plays well when he comes on though, so he'll play well in the games that suit him for us this year.

He just needs to start scoring competitively for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Senna, Cesc, Xavi, Iniesta, and Silva are all ahead of him in the Spanish midfield set-up, as indicated in every meaningful game of Euro 08.

He is a squad player.

He plays well when he comes on though, so he'll play well in the games that suit him for us this year.

silva is a winger, no? so therefore thats like saying Torres is ahead of him! anyway whats the story with deigo capel, he looks handy down the left when ive seen him (admittedly not much) but wasnt he supposed to join spurs? he might be a good shout for our left wing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You left out Casillas, who is also ahead of him.

He is a squad player.

Silva is a wide man for Spain as is Iniesta even though he would probably like a shot in the middle of MF himself.

It's really Xavi that XA loses out to. I have no problem with that btw cause he's class.
    Alonso is a sub for Spain but to call him a squad player suggest that he is some way off the team (thats what i think of when i hear squad player anyway) when he is regularly used by them in a suns role or if another MF is unavailable. Pretty much their first backup MF if you like.
    It's no slight on him really when you consider they are deservingly Euro champions.

There is no reason why he shouldn't score about 7or8 goals a season for us. He should be on free kicks around the box as well. Does anyone remember the last free kick Gerrard scored for us??? I think these free kicks and corners are the 2 areas that we really need to improve for goals. Did we score any from corners last year? Maybe we did but none spring to mind.

This mornings papers:
    Liverpool will not be held to ransom by Espanyol for winger Albert Riera after the Spanish club said the 26-year-old is available for £16m, but the Anfield club are only willing to pay £10m. (The Times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did we score any from corners last year? Maybe we did but none spring to mind.

Didn't Hypia get one against Arsenal? I can never understand why Gerrard takes corners, he has a good header on him or at the very least he could loiter on the outside of the box.

Boggles wrote: »
    Didn't Hypia get one against Arsenal? I can never understand why Gerrard takes corners, he has a good header on him or at the very least who could loiter on the outside of the box.

Hyypia is the only one who ever scores for us from corners. I don't know if he did get any last year. Problem area tbh.

Gerrard should never take another corner again for L'pool. Problem is the other protaganists don't do any better when they hit them, Alonso Aurellio etc.

I've watched Riera on several ocasions and he is no doubt a step up from what we have already. At 10m it would be a good piece of business and something much needed in the team/squad. Alonso seemed to have an excellent game last night and hopefully if he stays with us he can reproduce that form week in week out. If Wenger thinks we'll be selling him Alonso for 10m he is living in plain dreamland. Said it before Alonso is younger,more skillful,and better looking than barry:pac: so if Barry is worth 18m (sure he is martin:)) then Alonso is worth 20m at least. Am more and more beginning to think that we will secure the services of Barry come the January window or next summer at this stage for 10m tops. On another note good to see Keane get on the scoresheet for us last night and hopefully will give him the confidence he needs to score that breakthrough goal for us this weekend. Still would be nice if he saved it for Man U in a couple of weeks;)

• Advertisement

Hyypia is the only one who ever scores for us from corners. I don't know if he did get any last year. Problem area tbh.

Gerrard should never take another corner again for L'pool. Problem is the other protaganists don't do any better when they hit them, Alonso Aurellio etc.
    He did score from a corner. Arsenal in the european cup

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement