Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

gixerfixer wrote: »
    He did score from a corner. Arsenal in the european cup

So no league goals at all last year. Pretty poor really. Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres and both CB's should be a threat at every corner.
    I wonder what are corner tactics are? Do we have any, or are our players just not as good at delivering the ball or winning the headers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Senna, Cesc, Xavi, Iniesta, and Silva are all ahead of him in the Spanish midfield set-up, as indicated in every meaningful game of Euro 08.
    silva is a winger, no? so therefore thats like saying Torres is ahead of him! anyway whats the story with deigo capel, he looks handy down the left when ive seen him (admittedly not much) but wasnt he supposed to join spurs? he might be a good shout for our left wing?
    spockety wrote: »
    You left out Casillas, who is also ahead of him.

You show me Cassilas or Torres playing in the Spanish midfield, and I'll show you a flying pig!;)
    And Wingers are midfielders are they not?!

ibh wrote: »
    Silva is a wide man for Spain as is Iniesta even though he would probably like a shot in the middle of MF himself.

It's really Xavi that XA loses out to. I have no problem with that btw cause he's class.
    Alonso is a sub for Spain but to call him a squad player suggest that he is some way off the team (thats what i think of when i hear squad player anyway) when he is regularly used by them in a suns role or if another MF is unavailable. Pretty much their first backup MF if you like.
    It's no slight on him really when you consider they are deservingly Euro champions.

There is no reason why he shouldn't score about 7or8 goals a season for us. He should be on free kicks around the box as well. Does anyone remember the last free kick Gerrard scored for us??? I think these free kicks and corners are the 2 areas that we really need to improve for goals. Did we score any from corners last year? Maybe we did but none spring to mind.

I listed the whole Spanish midfield, wide and all, cause everyone knows formations can change.
    And Xabi is lower down accross the midfield than everyone else on the list.
    In my definition he is a squad player, as he starts 4 out of 5 games on the bench.

As for Xabi scoring 7-8 goals.
    Can't see it happen.
    He scored two last year, in all comps.
    Both were in the same game, the 6-0 defeat of Derby.
    And one was a fluke cross that went straight in.
    I know he was injured, but 6-8 goals is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Boggles wrote: »
    I can never understand why Gerrard takes corners, he has a good header on him or at the very least he could loiter on the outside of the box.

Its a thing most liverpool fans dont understand either.

You show me Cassilas or Torres playing in the Spanish midfield, and I'll show you a flying pig!;)
    And Wingers are midfielders are they not?!

I listed the whole Spanish midfield, wide and all, cause everyone knows formations can change.
    And Xabi is lower down accross the midfield than everyone else on the list.
    In my definition he is a squad player, as he starts 4/5 games on the bench.

As for Xabi scoring 7-8 goals.
    Can't see it happen.
    He scored two last year, in all comps.
    Both were in the same game, the 6-0 defeat of Derby.
    And one was a fluke cross that went straight in.
    I know he was injured, but 6-8 goals is a bit much.

The fact that you listed the entire Spanish MF instead of the players XA would be competing with, took away from your argument imo.

Probably right that he wont score 7 or 8 goals but it is a realistic target for him.

2 no Goals from inside our half.
    3 no Goals from Penalties (he should be taking them. Keane maybe, but i sh1t myself when SG steps up for some reason...)
    2no goals from free kicks
    1 no goals from open play.

Easy really.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

So no league goals at all last year. Pretty poor really. Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres and both CB's should be a threat at every corner.
    I wonder what are corner tactics are? Do we have any, or are our players just not as good at delivering the ball or winning the headers?

Yeap we are pretty poor all round from corners alright. Even Sami and Torres dont really attack the ball. I mean they are both good in the air when they get space but i cant really recall either of them knocking people out of the way to get to the ball. In comparison John Terry (yeah i dont like him either,but that's not the point) goes for the ball with a kind of "get otta my f**king way it's mine" kind of attitude. Even if he doesnt get it he puts the sh*ts up many defenders. Thats the attitude id like to see more of our players have on the pitch. Overall i think we are just a little to nice in those type of situations.

• Advertisement

The fact that you listed the entire Spanish MF instead of the players XA would be competing with, took away from your argument imo.

Probably right that he wont score 7 or 8 goals but it is a realistic target for him.

2 no Goals from inside our half.
    3 no Goals from Penalties (he should be taking them. Keane maybe, but i sh1t myself when SG steps up for some reason...)
    2no goals from free kicks
    1 no goals from open play.

Easy really.....;)

Well Spain played a 4 3 3 formation for most of the Euros.
    With Iniesta pushing in alongside Xavi, and Torres - Villa - Silva as a front three.
    Capdevilla and Ramos providing the width.

And then when they wanted to change things, it was back to a 4-4-2, with Iniesta and Silva on the flanks.

Because of this, you can't list a center midfield two, but if I did, Xabi would still be 5th choice, behind Xavi, Senna, Cesc, and Iniesta (who did play centraly) so being 5th, or even 4th choice if you dispute Iniesta, makes you a squad player.

Just checked the league stats from last season. We scored only 7% of our goals from headers last season.:( Pretty depressing. The lowest in the league

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Just checked the league stats from last season. We scored only 7% of our goals from headers last season.:( Pretty depressing. The lowest in the league

Was that 2 headers from Nando???
    Are they league stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We're also probably one of the smallest teams in terms of height and weight. Torres is 6'1, but our squad as a whole cant compete physically with the likes of Chelsea, Portsmouth and so on. I reckon that has a large impact on attacking & defending set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,316 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i would very much doubt we are one of the smallest teams,

id wager we are closer to the top in size terms

Last seasons team (or mostly anyway)

Reina - 6 2
    Arbeloa - 6 0
    Dossena - 5 8
    Carra - 5 10
    Agger - 6 3
    Masch - 5 7
    Alonso - 6 0
    Kuyt - 6 0
    Gerrard - 6 0
    babel - 6 0
    Torres - 6 1

• Advertisement

Was that 2 headers from Nando???
    Are they league stats?

Doenst say who scored.in the league only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's also the fact that we don't have anyone who can whip crosses in, or for the most part anyone who can clear the first man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gerrard,Torres,Hypia,Carragher,Agger and Babel should all be getting a couple of goals from set pieces with their mallet every year.

Hypia is the only one who does. Hopefully we can add agger to that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

We're also probably one of the smallest teams in terms of height and weight. Torres is 6'1, but our squad as a whole cant compete physically with the likes of Chelsea, Portsmouth and so on. I reckon that has a large impact on attacking & defending set pieces.

gerrard,carra,macsh,agger,skertl,kuyt all can compete physically with the other top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Because of this, you can't list a center midfield two, but if I did, Xabi would still be 5th choice, behind Xavi, Senna, Cesc, and Iniesta (who did play centraly) so being 5th, or even 4th choice if you dispute Iniesta, makes you a squad player.
    Where would Barry come in your list?

We did have a 6 ft 7 inch Peter Crouch!;)
    (I know he didn't really play that much.)

I think that we missed Agger a lot in that regard.
    He always seems to like getting forward for a corner.

PiE wrote: »
    Where would Barry come in your list?

In the middle of the English midfield set-up, where he has been for a good year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What difference does it make what choice Alonso is for Spain? That midfield has got some serious players. He scored two good goals last nite, lets hope his form continues because some of the stuff bein said about him is ridiculous

In the middle of the English midfield set-up, where he has been for a good year!

in fairness, as was pointed out last night by the commentators, the only change in the game yesterday from the previous game was Barry in for Hargreaves, Hargreaves is injured.

I'd imagine that Monsieur Hargreaves will be ahead of Barry in the pecking order on his return to fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

raven136 wrote: »
    gerrard,carra,macsh,agger, skertl ,kuyt all can compete physically with the other top 3.

compete??:eek: If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you. If you can't see Martin Skrtel you may be only seconds away from death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Hyypia is the only one who ever scores for us from corners. I don't know if he did get any last year. Problem area tbh.

Gerrard should never take another corner again for L'pool. Problem is the other protaganists don't do any better when they hit them, Alonso Aurellio etc.

Gerrard can never beat the first man with cornors, and yeah i agree he should be in the box for cornors as he is pretty strong in the air.

Can't remember the last time liverpool scored from a cornor, think was it torres against west ham last season, his second goal i think ??

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in fairness, as was pointed out last night by the commentators, the only change in the game yesterday from the previous game was Barry in for Hargreaves, Hargreaves is injured.

I'd imagine that Monsieur Hargreaves will be ahead of Barry in the pecking order on his return to fitness.

That's why I said set-up, not line-up.
    I was implying that comparing an English midfield to a Spanish one is an excersize in futility.
    Then again, the same could be said about posting on internet forums in general!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Rafa & Parry have held 'clear the air' talks - hopefully others within the club will learn how to start talking to each other too.

Reira & Downing seem to be the main two left sided players being looked at - as we all pretty much suspected anyway.
    Liverpool, though, are currently focusing their attentions on bringing in a left-sided midfielder with both Albert Riera and Stewart Downing mooted.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/21/red-calm-100252-21578319/

I was implying that comparing an English midfield to a Spanish one is an excersize in futility.
    It was a simple question, apologies if you couldn't follow it.

People are critisizing Alonso for not breaking into a Spain midfield with Senna & Xavi (and apparently Silva & Iniesta) at the heart - fair enough. But then the same people are saying we should replace Alonso with Barry.

Where would Barry come in the Spanish pecking-order?
    Rafa & Parry have held 'clear the air' talks - hopefully others within the club will learn how to start talking to each other too.
    They seem to have one of these talks on a horribly regular basis - maybe they should just pencil it into the calendar and make it an official monthly meeting,

It was a simple question, apologies if you couldn't follow it.

People are critisizing Alonso for not breaking into a Spain midfield with Senna & Xavi (and apparently Silva & Iniesta) at the heart - fair enough. But then the same people are saying we should replace Alonso with Barry.

Where would Barry come in the Spanish pecking-order?

Nowhere.
    Cause a) he's not Spanish, and b) doesn't play a Spanish style.

It seems you're the one having trouble here.

Tell you what, you show me all the times that the Spanish national team have done well in the Premiership, and it'll be a valid point.
    Cause Barry is wanted to improve us in the Prem, where Alonso is doubted by some.

Simple.

P.S: This has been done to death over and over again.
    Spain / England = not the same.
    Prem / International = not the same.
    We were discussing whether Alonso was a Spanish squad player, or first teamer. Lets leave Barry out of it.
    He's been involved in enough of our close season rants as it is without injecting him where he's not even remotely involved. ie: The Spanish National Team!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Nowhere.

It seems you're the one having trouble here.

Tell you what, you show me all the times that the Spanish national team have done well in the Premiership, and it'll be a valid point.
    Cause Barry is wanted to improve us in the Prem, where Alonso is doubted by some.

Simple.

Spain / England = not the same.
    Prem / International = not the same.
    We were discussing whether Alonso was a Spanish squad player, or first teamer. Lets leave Barry out of it.
    He's been involved in enough of our close season rants as it is without injecting him where he's not even remotely involved. ie: The Spanish National Team!

Eh, by that token Alonso's position in the Spanish squad should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our assessment of his suitability as a Liverpool player in the Premier League.
    So why are we talking about the Spanish national team at all?

EVERYONE SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT ALONSO AND BARRY!!!!! ALL THE TALK IS MAKING ME SORE ALL OVER!!!!!

Eh, by that token Alonso's position in the Spanish squad should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on our assessment of his suitability as a Liverpool player in the Premier League.
    So why are we talking about the Spanish national team at all?

It has a baring on Alonso.
    Not Barry, Alonso.

When I think of Alonso, I think of a quietly spoken Spanish guy, about 5 10, with brown hair, who learned to speak English in Navan!

Not Gareth Bloody Barry!!!

Myself and a few people were talking about Alonso and Spain, and as usual the same old crap of Barry wouldn't make the Spanish midfield comes up.

Some people seriously seem to be obsessed.

If you want to talk about the Barry and Alonso saga, there's a whole 100 page long thread on it!

This was a discussion on Alonso's role in the Spanish National setup.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I'm not), it has nothing to do with Barry!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

We did have a 6 ft 7 inch Peter Crouch!;)
    (I know he didn't really play that much.)

I think that we missed Agger a lot in that regard.
    He always seems to like getting forward for a corner.

I am so happy that Agger is seemingly back and fit. He's an awesome link between the defence and midfield. I think one of our problems last season was that we weren't playing the ball out of defence by passing the ball. Agger will eradicate that now he's fit.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I am so happy that Agger is seemingly back and fit. He's an awesome link between the defence and midfield. I think one of our problems last season was that we weren't playing the ball out of defence by passing the ball. Agger will eradicate that now he's fit.

He'd wanna be more awesome than he was againsty Liege...Hoofs up and out for a goalkick...it cut to Rafa and he looked far from impressed. I do agree with ya though, once his match sharpness is back should be great..dare I say it "like a new signing"...used say that about fat Harry, a crap new signing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It has a baring on Alonso.
    Not Barry, Alonso.

When I think of Alonso, I think of a quietly spoken Spanish guy, and 5 10 with brown hair, who learned to speak English in Navan!

Not Gareth Bloddy Barry!!!

Myself and a few people were talking about Alonso and Spain, and as usual the same old crap of Barry wouldn't make the Spanish midfield comes up.

Some people seriously seem to be obsessed.

If you want to talk about the Barry and Alonso saga, there's a whole 100 page long thread on it!

This was a discussion on Alonso's role in the Spanish National setup.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I'm not), it has nothing to do with Barry!!!

I never said it has anything to do with Barry, but I assumed you were discussing Alonso's place in the Spanish squad as a way to debate the merit of having him in the Liverpool first team, or his suitability as a Liverpool player. This is, after all, a Liverpool thread, not a Spanish National Team thread.

You can't on one hand use Alonso's Spanish record to assess him, while on the other say you can't compare players based on their national team performance, unless of course you are not doing it with his Liverpool performances in mind. In which case, why is it being discussed in the Liverpool thread...?

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Exactly.
    I love Carra and all, but he really does need to stop hoffing ever ball up field!
    D.Agger's great for picking passes and bringing the ball forward.

Nowhere.
    It seems you're the one having trouble here.[/B]

No touble at all. I simply find funny the hypocrisy of people who just love to talk and talk (read: post and post) until regular talkers can no longer be bothered to keep track of their flip-flopping.
    Trust me, I know. But keep talking, I'm sure someone wants to hear it.

I never said it has anything to do with Barry, but I assumed you were discussing Alonso's place in the Spanish squad as a way to debate the merit of having him in the Liverpool first team, or his suitability as a Liverpool player. This is, after all, a Liverpool thread, not a Spanish National Team thread.

You can't on one hand use Alonso's Spanish record to assess him, while on the other say you can't compare players based on their national team performance, unless of course you are not doing it with his Liverpool performances in mind. In which case, why is it being discussed in the Liverpool thread...?

I never said anything about the relevence of Alonso playing for spain comparing to Liverpool, and I don't think thee two are comparable.
    I was talking about a Liverpool player.

Simple as that.

I'd advise you in future to read through my posts before making assumptions.

Somebody else mentioned that Alonso was a Spain squad member.
    Another poster started talking about how they considered him a first team player.
    I weighed in on this, only to get somebody bringing Gareth Barry into the equation!

Pointlessly!

No touble at all. I simply find funny the hypocrisy of people who just love to talk and talk (read: post and post) until regular talkers can no longer be bothered to keep track of their flip-flopping.

Trust me, I know. But keep talking, I'm sure someone wants to hear it.

Please show me my "flip-floping"?!

I've always said one thing.

That Alonso IMO is a great player who isn't as good as some make out.
    That he can be spectacular against teams that give him space and time, but that if he's presuarised, he's out of the game.
    He can play amazing for Spain, as International football isn't at close to the pace of the premiership, and in Europe, for the same reason, but that he hasn't performed for us against certain types of teams.

Also that GB would be a good signing as he is proven in the premiership, and while not as talented as Xabi, more reliable, and not as easily dismissed from games.

But I don't seem to think that the two are joined at the hip, and can talk about Alonso without thinking automatically of GB.
    Try it some time!!!

So, please, flip off and flop all of my contradicting posts down in front of me!

Or even better yet, cut your losses after the flipping off part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

The whole transfer saga sickens me. There is serious problems in the club the lack of unity is frightening. An explosive option in the wide attacking areas is vital for Liverpool but they do not seem to be looking for those type of players. Maybe Gerrard can do the job on the right with Babel on the left and Keane in the centre. I'd be a lot happier if there was an Arjen Robben or Ricardo Quaresma in the wide areas. The possibility of Kuyt as a first choice right winger is frightening

slingerz wrote: »
    The whole transfer saga sickens me. There is serious problems in the club the lack of unity is frightening. An explosive option in the wide attacking areas is vital for Liverpool but they do not seem to be looking for those type of players. Maybe Gerrard can do the job on the right with Babel on the left and Keane in the centre. I'd be a lot happier if there was an Arjen Robben or Ricardo Quaresma in the wide areas. The possibility of Kuyt as a first choice right winger is frightening

I can see Kuyt warming the bench a bit this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Certain posters are making this thread seriously tedious.

It is being reported in Portugal that we have today put in a 25m euro bid for Queresma!
    Benfica's Ricardo Quaresma has wanted to get away from his club Porto all summer, with Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan as the favourites to get him, but they don't want to pay the €40million price that Porto have put on his head.

It was reported yesterday that Inter have increased their bid from €17m to €20m euros, but that is unlikely that Porto will accept such a low figure.

In the Portugese daily Abola today it is being reported that Liverpool have decided to join the hunt, and are willing to offer €25million, and they say they got the information from the British Press!

Tusky wrote: »
    Certain posters are making this thread seriously tedious.

It is being reported in Portugal that we have today put in a 25m euro bid for Queresma!

We have bid for him before.
    But he wouldn't change his game like Rafa wanted, so it never happened, IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yep, he said as much in an interview which was posted in this thread a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

So that Portugese paper got it from the British press then ? Anyone see anything about this in the British press recently then ? Can't recall seeing anything about him recently.

zing wrote: »
    So that Portugese paper got it from the British press then ? Anyone see anything about this in the British press recently then ? Can't recall seeing anything about him recently.

The Portuguese paper probably got it from a months old English story!:rolleyes:

Please show me my "flip-floping"?!
    Get your hand off it, the post wasn't only directed at you, but since you just couldn't resist shouting as usual…
    That Alonso IMO is a great player who isn't as good as some make out.
    A "great player" who isn't as good as "some people" say? Oh come on. That's pretty much the definition of flip-flopping, covering your bases and making sure you can always, always come back and say "NO I DIDN'T SAY THAT, I SAID THIS... aswell".

Now I don't read this thread as much as I used to, but the last time I read anything here you were again shouting about comparisons between Voronin and Alonso, which were also rubbish. Posting and posting until everyone else gets bored arguing. So I just calls it like I sees it.
    So, please, flip off and flop all of my contradicting posts down in front of me!

Or even better yet, cut your losses after the flipping off part.
    Woah, take it easy trying to be funny - else you might have to run on down to Games Workshop and trade in some Self-Righteous the Condescendator cards to replenish your comedy mana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm going out on the limb here and say that this thread has gone to the ****ing dogs.

I'm going out on the limb here and say that this thread has gone to the ****ing dogs.

Quiet similar to the behaviour of some characters on the LFC Board, bickering. It's an interesting observation. Discuss!

Get your hand off it, the post wasn't only directed at you, but since you just couldn't resist shouting as usual…

A "great player" who isn't as good as "some people" say? Oh come on. That's pretty much the definition of flip-flopping, covering your bases and making sure you can always, always come back and say "NO I DIDN'T SAY THAT, I SAID THIS... aswell".

Now I don't read this thread as much as I used to, but the last time I read anything here you were again shouting about comparisons between Voronin and Alonso, which were also rubbish. Posting and posting until everyone else gets bored arguing. So I just calls it like I sees it.

Woah, take it easy trying to be funny - else you might have to run on down to Games Workshop and trade in some Self-Righteous the Condescendator cards to replenish your comedy mana.

Oh, so you directly quoted a post of mine, but it wasn't directed at me!
    Congrats!!!

Anyway.
    If I think somebody is great, and others think he is really great, then I don't think that he's as good as others do!

Is this so hard to understand?

No, so cut the BS.

As for the Voronin/Alonso comparison, I compared, them as both were players who get stick here, both broke bones in their legs, and both, missed half the season.
    As for me talking till everyone got bored, I left the country, didn't post for a weekend, and when I came back the thread had moved on about 10 pages, so I didn't bother check.

So way-to-go on being wrong again.
    You're a champ at that.

And as for the whole card malarky, I've never played, but find it offensive that you insult people that do, so you really should grow up.

How is it an insult to play a game?

Seek help!
    Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

In fairness Karmafaerie, you do seem to post quite a lot, and some of it does seem difficult to understand exactly what you are saying.

There are a few posters here, who post quality over quantity - like Tusky, , PiE, NekkidBibleMan & Redspider etc. - perhaps take a leaf from their book and you'll get less flack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Karmafaerie - calm it down and cut out the personal insults.

PiE, you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

nice Riera compalation from youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h6EOyiuTr8Y

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement