Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 wrote: »
    I no this is short notice but we just got a few more tickets,if any of you lot want to go to the Boro game tomorrow I can get you a day trip all in for 120 euro,thats a great price boat,coach and Match ticket.Need to finalize this asap.

Meet inside Irish ferries terminal at 0740 - for the johnathan swift 0840 -

Reason this is early because, the ulysses sail at 0805 in case of bad weather or whatever reason swift maybe cancelled the ulyssess always sails no matter what the weather and we can shift to this sailing, hopefully we wont have to.

Coach will meet us on arrival at holyhead approx 10.40
    straight to anfield ETA is approx 1pm (One quick wee wee stop)

returning from Liverpool city centre at 11.30pm -
    we will not wait for anyone that is late,
    all details will be given out on the bus going over, for meeting place,
    NO BEER OR SPIRITS ON BUS.
    depart holyhead 0240 sailing which arrives in dublin at 0555

Please bring Photo I.d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

pesireland wrote: »
    Reports have us linked with Wigans Paliccos again today :\

Probably the same reports from a week ago rehashed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Thats a great offer Dub13 I only wish I could go! Damn work

swalsh wrote: »
    Thats a great offer Dub13 I only wish I could go! Damn work

I know its a great offer thats why I put up here sure the boat cost about 70 euro alone.The opening game is always a good one to go to.

I will be away from my desk for a couple of hours if anybody is interested log into Irish and contact Pam or post on the Boro trip thread,we need names asap for Irish Ferry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The problem with saying things like the "fans I know" not supporting Rafa / wanting him out etc, is that (and I'm taking a wild guess here, since this is boards.ie) most of them are Irish and in Ireland.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone either but the majority of football fans I know back in Ireland get 90% of their opinions from a.) Jamie Redknapp/Andy Gray or b.) some rag newspaper.

Not trying to say that they're not "real fans" or anything of the sort, I'm just saying that they don't really care all that much about reading the real stories or getting knee-deep in facts like us nerds, so when they hear Mr. Gray say Rafa's wrong - they believe he's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

PiE wrote: »
    The problem with saying things like the "fans I know" not supporting Rafa / wanting him out etc, is that (and I'm taking a wild guess here, since this is boards.ie) most of them are Irish and in Ireland.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone either but the majority of football fans I know back in Ireland get 90% of their opinions from a.) Jamie Redknapp/Andy Gray or b.) some rag newspaper.

Not trying to say that they're not "real fans" or anything of the sort, I'm just saying that they don't really care all that much about reading the real stories or getting knee-deep in facts like us nerds, so when they hear Mr. Gray say Rafa's wrong - they believe he's wrong.

totally agree,how many times have we all met a "real fan"who reads the sun?the guy in the pub who prattles on about rafa this,rotate that and you realise that he just repeats everything he reads in the tabloids and from gray and dunphy.
    The true reaction to rafa is to be gotten from the match day crowd and around anfield and the guy is adored.Its not really up for debate,the fans who matter do actually support rafa.
    I once met a guy who told me that winning the cl was the worst thing that happened to liverpool,made gerrard bigger headed and rafa could rotate more.I didnt know whether to punch him or not but i asked him whether he ever took a game in..."nah id rather watch it on the box,better view".A lifelong irish red he was:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Dub13 wrote: »
    I know its a great offer thats why I put up here sure the boat cost about 70 euro alone.The opening game is always a good one to go to.

I will be away from my desk for a couple of hours if anybody is interested log into Irish and contact Pam or post on the Boro trip thread,we need names asap for Irish Ferry's.

Cheers for the heads up Dub13. I won't be able to avail of it cause i have a prior engagement. Please post this sort of thing again if it is available as I would definately be interested in it.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    They can certainly save a manager though. see the pro-rafa march last season when it emerged that G&H were about to fire him. Subsequently both Americans individually came out and said they were 100% with Rafa in order to try and win the support over who were/and to a lesser extent still are, making their life difficult in regards to being in Liverpool. Hicks even in an election style statement talked about how if he was able to buy Gillette out the first thing he would do is give Rafa a new contract!

Rafa has consolidated his Champions League position, the next step is to seriously challenge for the title. He is entering his 5th year and IMO this year he doesn't have the right personal to win the league. He will be the longest serving manager since Dalglish, Liverpool Football Club don't have a great track record of patience with managers who don't deliver the title, I think if he shows up empty handed in 10 months time the amount of people on 'Save Rafa' marches will have dwindled significantly, Football fans after all are notoriously fickle.

I noticed dissent about Rafa's ability from Liverpool fans as far back as last December in the game against Reading, he made the odd decision of taking Gerrard off in the 70th minute, this was 10 minutes after taking Torres off, it smacked of throwing in the towel, not just for the match but for the league. Teams serious about winning the premiership do not take off their match winners where a draw or even a win is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Rafa for me is under pressure this season to deliver or at least get alot closer to that coveted title. Maybe not from the majority of fans right now, and maybe the fans went someway in saving his bacon last year even thou that was more to do with The Americans trying to endear themselves than anything else. What i do know is the longer the title remains elusive the easier it becomes to replace him, given enough time he could probably deliver, but what is enough time 10-15 years? No board at a top club is that patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ye Dub13 very much appreciate you keeping us informed! Stuck in work but otherwise I would have been all over that offer like a fat kid on a muffin! Anyone here planning to attend the irish kop race night on the 26th?

With regards Rafa I have a friend who is getting sick of Rafa and it really grates me, Idont see how anyone isn't behind Rafa. Also another lfc fan I know believes andy gray to be very impartial :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

maybe its because of these so called real fans that we irish now have a bad rep at the games and arent made to feel all that welcome anymore.

" AH SURE RECORDS ARE THERE TO BE BROKEN"the words of a liverpool fan in a pub after it was said another united title would equal our record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

ibh wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up Dub13. I won't be able to avail of it cause i have a prior engagement. Please post this sort of thing again if it is available as I would definately be interested in it.

Cheers

I'd Deffo be interested also Dub13 Keep posting up offer :), bloody soccer league starts back this weekend so can't make it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

raven136 wrote: »
    maybe its because of these so called real fans that we irish now have a bad rep at the games and arent made to feel all that welcome anymore.

" AH SURE RECORDS ARE THERE TO BE BROKEN"the words of a liverpool fan in a pub after it was said another united title would equal our record.
    I suppose these days of wall-to-wall coverage mean that it's easy to follow a team even if you've little or no interest in it's history, the area where it's from, it's ex-players or it's youth players. The football games become less about supporting the team and more about demanding entertainment. That kind of comment would really piss me off if I hear it though!
    I noticed dissent about Rafa's ability from Liverpool fans as far back as last December in the game against Reading, he made the odd decision of taking Gerrard off in the 70th minute, this was 10 minutes after taking Torres off, it smacked of throwing in the towel, not just for the match but for the league. Teams serious about winning the premiership do not take off their match winners where a draw or even a win is not beyond the bounds of possibility.
    As I recall we were 3:1 down and not looking like getting anything from the game. We then had the small matter of (I think) the away game against Marseille in the Champions League a couple of days later. Defeat or a draw would have most likely meant elimination from the UEFA cash cow so dropping the 3 points against Reading was seen as a necessary, if painful, sacrifice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Boggles wrote: »
    Rafa has consolidated his Champions League position, the next step is to seriously challenge for the title. .... No board at a top club is that patient.

is there two Boggles? The standard of this post compared to some of the tripe rolled out the other night is leagues apart.

I think we have a squad that is more than capable to challenge for the league and if there isnt a serious challenge made this season it will be a failure imho. If we are not in it by May this season or next i have a feeling that would be the end of the fans patience. This is his fifth year of his five year plan, Houllier got his five years of his five year plan and the fans turned when it was clear that we werent any closer to winning the league, the biggest difference here is that Rafa has won us a CL, got us to another final and has developed one of the best youth setups in the world.

If players start to come through to the standard of the Arsenal youths we will have a goldmine of talent and may not need to spend much in the future to keep up with United/Chelsea/Arsenal. Also the software Rafa's team has developed for tracking players during games is apparently years ahead of what all the other clubs are using and would be worth a fortune if we were to license it out.

So Rafa has brought the club on in terms of our future and it is very bright, we just need to see that we are competing on the field and that we are close to winning the PL because realistically any new manager that would come in for the 2009 season (at worst) would have his own 5 year plan, so we are 6 years from winning the league again.

This may be very naive of me but i do genuinely feel that when Rafa feels he can do no more at the club he will step aside, but I dont think any other manager will win us the league with the level of investment Rafa has at his disposal.

But i could be wrong :)

No prob lads I will keep you lot updated on anything we have going on,the offers go up on Irishkop first and most times it fills up there but if we have any space left I will post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

JAVIER MASCHERANO is on a mission to win Olympic gold for Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez.

The Argentinian midfielder lines up against Everton’s Nigerian striker Victor Anichebe in tomorrow’s football final in Beijing (kick-off 5am).

Mascherano has played a key role in his nation’s passage to the final and is desperate to secure a second successive gold following Argentina’s triumph in Athens four years ago.

The 24-year-old Anfield star could have been denied the opportunity to defend his medal following a ruling that allowed clubs to withhold their players from Olympic duty.

However, Benitez opted not to recall him and Mascherano is eternally grateful for his manager’s support.

“If I win, I’ll dedicate my success to Rafa,” he said.

“He’s a very important person in my life. I hope to God I can take another gold to Liverpool.”

Benitez added: “It’s a fantastic achievement for Mascherano.

“To have the chance to win another gold medal is very positive for him. For a player of his age to have won so many trophies and picked up so much experience is amazing.

“I have been talking with him during the competition because he is a player who always wants to know the news from back here. He is enjoying the Olympic Games but he is aware of what is happening with Liverpool.”
    LIVERPOOL have turned down a £2.5m offer from Premier League newcomers Stoke City for veteran defender Sami Hyypia.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has already made several signings this summer and had earmarked 34-year-old Hyypia as the man he wanted to become his latest acquisition.

But with the Finnish defender still held in high esteem at Anfield and still able to compete at the highest level, Rafa Benitez turned the offer down flat.

Hyypia only signed a new one-year contract with Liverpool at the end of last season and is not looking to move away from the club he joined for a bargain £2.6m in 1999.

Benitez regards him as a key member of his squad and believes his experience remains vital.

Nice to see Hypia staying. Hope he moves into a coaching role after his retirement.

as for Mascherano, cant make up my mind if i'm pissed off at him or not, suppose it'll depend on the result tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Nice to see Hypia staying. Hope he moves into a coaching role after his retirement.

as for Mascherano, cant make up my mind if i'm pissed off at him or not, suppose it'll depend on the result tomorrow!

In fairness to Masch, the Olympics is so important to South Americans. I just think it's great that even being on the other side of the world, he's still thinking about Liverpool. In hindsight, letting Masch go over there is probably a masterstroke by Rafa. Masch is gonna be so loyal to him now and the club that he really will be giving it socks when he comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

monkey9 wrote: »
    In fairness to Masch, the Olympics is so important to South Americans. I just think it's great that even being on the other side of the world, he's still thinking about Liverpool. In hindsight, letting Masch go over there is probably a masterstroke by Rafa. Masch is gonna be so loyal to him now and the club that he really will be giving it socks when he comes back.

Thats a good call monkey, he will probarly go down on rafa now if rafa asked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is it just me of does anyone else get fed up listenin to the same people croppin up with comments. Kuyt has to be the biggest offender, if he comes out once more and says "we have the best striker in the world" bla bla blah! It's so annoying, Fernando must be wondering what he's at. Pennant is another big noise but he has been quiet of late, wait til the season starts and he'll be whinging about gettin that England call-up!

Players should worry about themselves and do there talking on the pitch, the two in question have alot to prove so Id prefer if they would go ahead and start talking with there feet for once!

Sorry jus a rant as I saw Kuyt back on the LFC website again today

Is it just me of does anyone else get fed up listenin to the same people croppin up with comments. Kuyt has to be the biggest offender, if he comes out once more and says "we have the best striker in the world" bla bla blah! It's so annoying, Fernando must be wondering what he's at. Pennant is another big noise but he has been quiet of late, wait til the season starts and he'll be whinging about gettin that England call-up!

Players should worry about themselves and do there talking on the pitch, the two in question have alot to prove so Id prefer if they would go ahead and start talking with there feet for once!

Sorry jus a rant as I saw Kuyt back on the LFC website again today

I presume you're ranting about this article?
    Dirk Kuyt believes Liverpool have gained a trait of league champions - the ability to win when playing badly.
    The Dutch forward admits he and his teammates were not at their best during the Barclays Premier League opener at Sunderland, with Fernando Torres leaving it until the 83rd minute to secure the points.

Kuyt knows Liverpool will play much better over the coming months but claims they now have enough star quality to win without reaching fifth gear.

"When you are starting a new season you can't be at your best in the first game. It wasn't going to be easy and the important thing was just to work really hard and make sure we got the three points," said the 28-year-old.

"We know we will progress every game and get even better. But you could see we had a lot of quality in that game – players like Robbie Keane, Steven Gerrard and, of course, Torres. So, we know if we work hard and create chances we have the ability to score in every game.

"For us three points from the first game is just what we wanted.

"Now we don't have to look too much at other teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal - we just have to look at ourselves.

"We have to work really hard in every game and the gap will be closer. We know that we have quality. The team is getting better and better and the most important thing is to look at ourselves."

Though the Premier League campaign is just one game old, early indications are that Torres will not suffer from any kind of second season hangover.

Kuyt for one was not surprised to see El Nino pick up where he left off in May.

"Fernando showed last year and in the Euros that he is the best striker in the world and he doesn't need much to score a goal," he said. "Against Sunderland, he was waiting for his chance and he got it. We knew when he got the ball he was going to score."

I don't really see what he has said wrong to be fair. I think we all agree that Liverpool drew a lot of games last year and it's a great start to the season to have been able to snatch 2 points from a game which had 0:0 written all over it.

Personally I get more fed up with supposed supporters of Liverpool Football Club taking any opportunity to get a dig in at a player they should be supporting.

• Advertisement

is there two Boggles?

Jesus no, that would finish off Mr. Alan Completely!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Unless you see the exact questions asked its hard to criticise a player for talking about others. If he was asked a direct question about Torres it would be tough to avoid talking about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

malice_ wrote: »
    Personally I get more fed up with supposed supporters of Liverpool Football Club taking any opportunity to get a dig in at a player they should be supporting.

Couldn't agree more.
    All players should have the support of the fans for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What I hate to see is the ludicrous comments like "its a sign of a good team if you win when you play badly". Especially when it comes from an eejit player.

Its a sign of a championship winning team when you play well for 5 games and win them all. Then play below par, but still take the 3 points. Then go back to playing well again. So copdefack-on Dirk.

What I hate to see is the ludicrous comments like "its a sign of a good team if you win when you play badly". Especially when it comes from an eejit player.

Its a sign of a championship winning team when you play well for 5 games and win them all. Then play below par, but still take the 3 points. Then go back to playing well again. So copdefack-on Dirk.

An eejit player?? That's a bit harsh on Dirk me thinks. He was superb for us last season when he went out wide. I like him out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

An eejit player?? That's a bit harsh on Dirk me thinks. He was superb for us last season when he went out wide. I like him out there.

Agreed. Outstanding in the CL and did a great job in a relatively unfamiliar position. No one gives more and he never has to be subbed due to fatigue.

Had a decent euros too.

• Advertisement

Why is it a ludicrous comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why is it a ludicrous comment?

to be fair in context it is bit silly. As was said, its a championship winning trait when you play great football most of the time and win, and then on a bad day still grind out the 3 points. We're only adding pressure to ourselves with things like that, particularly after 2 pretty poor performance's in our only 2 competitive games. Lets just focus on getting some decent football going, then worry about eeking out the bad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

[/QUOTE]Personally I get more fed up with supposed supporters of Liverpool Football Club taking any opportunity to get a dig in at a player they should be supporting.[/QUOTE]

How do you know who If I support the player or not. Does it make me less of a LFC supporter because I made a point about Kuyt talkin two much? If it was any other player Id have done the same. My point was I just find it annoying that he's always in the press talkin the same old guff. Im sure there are plenty people out there that have lots of negative things to say about Dirk, Im not one of them. He die for pool on the field but will this attitude help bring a league title back to Anfield? It'll certainly help but bit more quality wouldn't go a miss.

How do you know who If I support the player or not. Does it make me less of a LFC supporter because I made a point about Kuyt talkin two much?
    I don't understand your first sentence so I can't respond to that. Calling him "an offender" and a "big noise" doesn't sound like positive support to me.
    If it was any other player Id have done the same.
    So if Torres or Carragher spoke to the press and said they have gained the ability to win while playing badly you'd give out about them too?
    My point was I just find it annoying that he's always in the press talkin the same old guff.
    In these days of saturated, 24 hours a day football coverage players talk to the press regularly. Often their quotes are rehashed repeatedly in different articles to give them a different spin depending on context.
    Im sure there are plenty people out there that have lots of negative things to say about Dirk, Im not one of them. He die for pool on the field but will this attitude help bring a league title back to Anfield? It'll certainly help but bit more quality wouldn't go a miss.
    I'd just like him to score a few goals in the league, as I think would every other Liverpool fan :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

"Superb for us last season". Unbelievable. Truly.

Did you miss the 80% of games where he was poor?

Did you miss the Sunderland game last week when he was dire?

He works hard. Wow, give him a medal.

• Advertisement

Relax Rooster, I grant you he is lacking in league goals but so is everyone bar the main two. You must appreciate the workl he does for the team.

Most of the players were poor against Sudnerland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't understand your first sentence so I can't respond to that. Calling him "an offender" and a "big noise" doesn't sound like positive support to me.
    Ah for gods sake, you pick out 'offender' as though the guy used it as an insult. Would you prefer he said culprit? He IS one of the main offenders when it comes to chatting with the press. doesn't mean its a bad thing necessarily, just that he's usually one of the most quoted. I dont particularly have much of a problem with this issue, doesn't bother me, but we dont all have to give positive support for everything, we're allowed to critisise where we see fit. The guy wasn't exactly flaming Kuyt, just saying he crops up in the press a bit too often.
    So if Torres or Carragher spoke to the press and said they have gained the ability to win while playing badly you'd give out about them too?
    This one i Do actually dread every year. Its the last thing they need to be doing, but they still do it every year. Carra to be fair doesn't really, but Gerrard sometimes builds up hopes, as well as tension, profile and pressure. There is no sense adding extra pressure on top of whats there already. Its like this 'this is our year' thing Gerrard comes out with every summer, it just doesn't help. Pool were going well last season at the beginning, then started consistently putting in bad performances over and over again, but were still getting the points. Everyone was saying 'mark of potential champions' but no, we just kept playing dodgey football and fell away. Id prefer we just get on with it, and in 6 months it'll be clear whether we're actually playing 'potential champions' football. Would much rather its not talked about or hyped up till then by anyone in the club.
    In these days of saturated, 24 hours a day football coverage players talk to the press regularly. Often their quotes are rehashed repeatedly in different articles to give them a different spin depending on context.
    Sadly all too true, gets very annoying, particularly with some of the examples earlier this summer, year old quotes getting dug up to sell a few papers.
    I'd just like him to score a few goals in the league, as I think would every other Liverpool fan :).
    Also too true. Hoping Kuyty can get his talking done on the pitch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Rooster if you are going to quote, quote fully ;)

Kuyt did well at "outside attacking-defence right" once he'd got used to the job.

Mike.

"Superb for us last season". Unbelievable. Truly.

Did you miss the 80% of games where he was poor?

Did you miss the Sunderland game last week when he was dire?

He works hard. Wow, give him a medal.

He started off last season up forward. When he went out onto the right side of midfield, i though he was superb there. Ok, the second of the season. But he put in some great performances, as he did for the Dutch during the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He started off last season up forward. When he went out onto the right side of midfield, i though he was superb there. Ok, the second of the season. But he put in some great performances, as he did for the Dutch during the summer

Ive gone through this before. He played more than 50% of the season as a striker (his natural position) and was absolutely dire. Then he was moved out to the right. He gradually improved in this position, particularly in the champions league at the very end of the season however he still didnt score a single goal from the wide right position in the league.

It is completely untrue to say he had a good season last year.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah for gods sake, you pick out 'offender' as though the guy used it as an insult. Would you prefer he said culprit? He IS one of the main offenders when it comes to chatting with the press. doesn't mean its a bad thing necessarily, just that he's usually one of the most quoted. I dont particularly have much of a problem with this issue, doesn't bother me, but we dont all have to give positive support for everything, we're allowed to critisise where we see fit. The guy wasn't exactly flaming Kuyt, just saying he crops up in the press a bit too often.
    You're right, blind support isn't a requirement but at the same time unjustified criticism isn't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Kuyt's game is commitment, giving 110% etc. I don't think I've seen anything other than that from him, for Pool or Holland.

edit: not to say that's a bad thing, at least you know what you'll get game in game out

I agree. I think he had a hand in a fair few goals, and goalscoring isn't the only aspect of a footballer player (even a striker). I prefer to slag players who lack commitment.

His touch is poor and he isn't extremely fast I will grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Don't think it's been mentioned previously - Lindfield has gone on loan to Bournemouth for a few weeks. Hopefully he'll get a few games with them

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161005080822-1535.htm

Ive heard that Downing to Liverpool is almost a done deal. 14.5m is the price being quoted. Part of the deal is that he wont play in the game tomorrow. I suppose we shall have to wait and see. It could well be a load of bollix.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Ive heard that Downing to Liverpool is almost a done deal. 14.5m is the price being quoted. Part of the deal is that he wont play in the game tomorrow. I suppose we shall have to wait and see. It could well be a load of bollix.

Are you serious? Where did you hear that? Such a high price, but if true, goes to show Rafa's desperation for a left sided winger.

Sami's out of the game tomorrow. Probably wouldn't have played anyway!!

Are you serious? Where did you hear that? Such a high price, but if true, goes to show Rafa's desperation for a left sided winger.

Sami's out of the game tomorrow. Probably wouldn't have played anyway!!

Is it that big of a surprise ? Ive had a feeling that we would sign either Riera or Downing all summer.

Tusky wrote: »
    Is it that big of a surprise ? Ive had a feeling that we would sign either Riera or Downing all summer.

It's more the price tag that i'm surprised at. There's no way he's worth that. I mean, he may do a job for us, but is that really worth just under 15m? It's sounds like Boro put that price tag on him because they don't want to sell him and here we come along paying it!!
    I don't really rate Downing in terms of trying to put in a title bid, but our left side isn't great so Downing may improve it. That though, may say more about Liverpool's weakness down that side than Downing's strength.
    But it's like i always say, if it is true, then i trust Rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well we'll see if it goes through but let me tell you again, this will be the best signing that Liverpool have made this summer. Its been a huge weakness for Liverpool for a couple of seasons. With the quality you have up front you need to have a really good crosser of the ball and Downing is certainly that. Imagine the freedom that Gerard would have when teams know that this option is such a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a sniff of this on RAWK or YNWA. Awaits with baited breath...

Mike.

Rafa certainly wants to bolster the team with proven league players, Downing IMO fits this category and certainly won't harm Liverpool, buying the likes of Downing reduces the risk of a flop, unfortunately the premium has to be paid for this added piece of mind.

mike65 wrote: »
    Not a sniff of this on RAWK or YNWA. Awaits with baited breath...

Mike.

Thats what has me doubting it as well. We shall have to wait and see.

In fairness, i'm loving Rafa's selection policy this summer. He obviously knows the league is a priority. Yet the yanks don't want him buying Barry, but may give us Riera. Hate the Yanks, love Rafa!!

From The Times
    August 23, 2008

Benítez would not reveal who instigated the meeting he held with Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, at Anfield on Tuesday, but having cleared the air in the wake of the acrimonious Gareth Barry transfer saga, the manager is hoping to make at least one more signing before the close of the transfer window on Monday week.

Albert Riera, the Espanyol winger, and Stewart Downing, of Middlesbrough, are targets for Liverpool, who have also been linked with Ricardo Quaresma, the FC Porto playmaker.

While Benítez is hoping to offload Xabi Alonso, Jermaine Pennant, Andriy Voronin and Steve Finnan, one player who will not be leaving the club is Sami Hyypia. Liverpool have turned down a £2.5 million bid from Stoke City for the Finland defender, who will miss the Middlesbrough game because of a hamstring injury.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4593400.ece
    22/08/2008 12:02

Liverpool Join Inter In Quaresma Race

Liverpool have joined Inter in the race to sign Porto winger Ricardo Quaresma, according to the Corriere dello Sport.

The Italian club have been in negotiations to sign the skillful wideman all summer, and it was even, wrongly, reported last month that the transfer had been completed.

However, over the past few weeks talk about a transfer had died down, with Inter unprepared to pay the reported €40m that Porto were demanding.

Earlier this week it was reported in the Italian press that the transfer could be back on after Porto dropped their demands by almost half, and Inter upped their own offer from €17m to €20m.

However, the Corriere dello Sport today claims that the Italian champions now face competition from Premier League giants Liverpool, who have entered the race for Quaresma late in the day.

Reds manager Rafa Benitez wants to make one exciting signing before the end of the transfer window on August 31, and he has now almost given up on primary target Gareth Barry. Instead he will now move for Quaresma, a player he admires greatly, and has been linked with in the past.

Quaresma is desperate to leave Porto, and last week was left out of the squad for the Supercup match against Sporting Lisbon, despite not being injured.

The 25-year-old has won 23 caps for Portugal, and was part of his country's Euro 2008 squad.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=829539

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1047829/Rafa-turns-Portugals-Harry-Potter-Liverpool-extra-width.html

Linked with Downing, Riera & Queresma.

• Advertisement

In fairness, i think it's fairly obvious that the whole Rafa/Parry meeting is a forceful coming together. It's not like everything is rosey in the garden. It's just professionalism with slight agendas from both sides.
    The media are all over it, but i think the fans aren't stupid. But at least it's some kind of positivity...........for the time being.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement