Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yep, he must have said it above 7 or 8 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    to be fair to Babel, he's just flown back from China, and id imagine was very disappointed to boot. give him a game or so to get back into the groove.
    I know and that's fair enough but it's not just this game or any game in particular, it's just a gut feeling I have that's based on everything I've seen of him so far. Of course I do hope he comes good; it'd be fantastic to have a player we got relatively cheaply turn into a superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hopefully see more of this from Torres & Keane. I thought they played very well together today considering they had limited service.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1501567/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi guys

Arsenal fan here in peace. Pi$$ed off about today, not strong enough as a team. Liverpool did very well to come back and win. If the table stays as it is then you may very well be celebrating, come May. I would love to see them win it. It is about time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/default.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its only cos you're a Gooner I belive you! :pac: (not like them horrid Man U fans)

Mike.

DenMan wrote: »
    If the table stays as it is then you may very well be celebrating, come May.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if the table stays as it is, we will definitely be celebrating in May!

Cant take too much from it. United had a terrible start last year and went on to win the league and the European cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Liverpool have been struggling with width since Steve McManaman left in 99.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

malice_ wrote: »

I thought Babel looked lost when he came on. I think he was on the pitch nearly 10 minutes before he touched the ball. The crowd even gave him a cheer when it happens.

Babel's problem was that nobody was passing to him. that's why he got a cheer when finally after 5 minutes someone sent the ball his way. He started on the left and all the play kept going right, then he switched to the right and all the play kept going left.

Wouldn't read anything into his performance today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi guys

Arsenal fan here in peace. Pi$$ed off about today, not strong enough as a team. Liverpool did very well to come back and win. If the table stays as it is then you may very well be celebrating, come May. I would love to see them win it. It is about time.

Firstly, you guys will be much improved when Rosicky and Cesc come back - you're still a top four side and will have a cup run or two to look forward to imo.

As for talk of the league - the problem is that we are performing the same in the first two games as we did all season last year. Of course last year we would now have 2 points as opposed to six - but this can't continue indefinitely.

We still have to see what Benitez will do with the Monster Masch back in the squad:

1) Gerrard Masch Alonso Babel
    Keane Torres

2) Masch Alonso
    Keane Gerrard Babel / Yossi
    Torres

3) Kuyt Masch Gerrard Yossi / Babel
    Torres Keane

4) Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Gerrard Keane
    Torres

5) Masch Gerrard
    Kuyt Keane Yossi / Babel
    Torres

???

What do people think? Another combination? Best one from the above?

We have a week so if we could sign another pure winger in that period I think it would help. I think we need the help more down the left than the right - in that I still believe Kuyt on the right is much more serviceable than Yossi or Babel on the left.

• Advertisement

Hi guys

I'm not just saying this because you's lost today. I thought this coming into the season, but i can see Liverpool finishing third at least at the expense of Arsenal.
    I don't understand Wenger. He's a great, great manager. But he seems wary of making big money, big player signings. Surely, there is only so much youth you can depend on. But there has to be some experience. Maybe i'll be proved wrong, but i think we'll finish above Arsenal this season!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Liverpool have been struggling with width since Steve McManaman left in 99.

In that we haven't had a player for either slot that we are 100% satisfied to play the position. BUT, do bear in mind that Macca was not a traditional get to the line and cut it back merchant - his best play often involved him coming inside and playing through the center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this was posted on another forum the other day, good point made imo, although i'd prefer we got a decent wide player!
    retro red wrote:
    Alll this talk of wingers and, worse, "good wingers" has had me racking my brains.

After a year of running up and down the Annie Road steps during reserve matches, I first started watching the first team in 1971 (well I was watching the pigeons in the Kop roof and the skinheads in the Annie Road more than the first team), Steve Heighway was starting to make his mark and Peter Thompson was sadly on his way out. By the time we were playing 4-4-2 in Rome, with Toshack crocked, Heighway was second striker to Keegan more than a winger. From then until Kenny signed John Barnes we played with wide midfielders, Ray Kennedy and Ronnie Whelan down the left and Case, Lee, Johnston then Houghton down the right.

By my reckoning, the last time we had the mythical "two good wingers" was before my match going days started, back in the Callaghan and Thompson days. So, unless anyone can come up with any more examples, it looks like we've only had "two good wingers" in about 37 years. Now we have experts saying Rafa has to get "two good wingers now".

Two questions:

- How? (Given that our most succesful manager ever didn't even sign one good winger).
    - Why? (Given that we don't play with wingers and our world class centre forward doesn't need them as much as he needs through passes from midfield).

Tusky wrote: »
    Hopefully see more of this from Torres & Keane. I thought they played very well together today considering they had limited service.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1501567/

People should watch this if only for the commentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina
    Finnan---Carra-Agger--Dossena
    Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Keane
    Torres

Would be my preference as things stand.

Mike.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    In that we haven't had a player for either slot that we are 100% satisfied to play the position. BUT, do bear in mind that Macca was not a traditional get to the line and cut it back merchant - his best play often involved him coming inside and playing through the center.

Good point. But to add, McManaman was still a good outlet out there who could cause damage either by cutting inside or creating space

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Reina
    Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Keane
    Torres

Mike.
    Ok, drop Alonso and go with Babel out wide. Can't argue with that.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    this was posted on another forum the other day, good point made imo, although i'd prefer we got a decent wide player!

That was a good post you dragged up Al. That's what i say about Kuyt. Now please don't think i'm putting him on the same level or anything to the previous legends we have had at the club. But it just annoys me when people use Kuyt in the 'winger' role to suggest that Rafa hasn't a clue about his squad etc. Kuyt isn't a winger, he is a right sided midfielder, just like the way Houghton was. He isn't gonna get by players as such, but he's industrious and can be a handful. I thought he played well today, especially in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

we're in a bidding war with Everton for Riera according to balague:
    Liverpool and Everton compete for Albert Riera

Both Liverpool and Everton have made formal bids for Albert Riera of Espanyol.

Everton have offered €11 million for the Spanish winger, while Liverpool's opening bid included Voronin plus €5 million.

The player would prefer a move to Anfield, but Liverpool's second bid, received by Espanyol last night, is still not considered high enough by the Barcelona based club. Liverpool will need to raise their offer by, at least, a further €2 million and are expected to return with a higher bid in the next few hours.

As far as Espanyol are concerned, they are more than happy that the two English clubs are engaged in a bidding war for the player's signature and they will let him go for around €11 million. As Everton have already bid that amount, it would seem certain that Riera is heading for the Premiership.

Everton are desperate for an injection of new blood in to the team. However, David Moyes likes to be absolutely certain about any potential new players before he will commit himself to signing them and is not prepared to take a gamble, and that caution can sometimes mean that he has missed out on other targets in the past.

There have been many English observers who have questioned Riera's abilities following his previous stint in the Premiership at Manchester City. He was not given the opportunity to play in his natural, attacking, position at City, however, and spent his time there being used as a wing back: his natural position is a winger in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

If he does end up playing in a 4-4-2, as he could at Everton, then his coach will need to be constantly on top of him to remind him of his defensive responsibilities and that he will need to track back.

Albert Riera is a quality player but, as someone who can struggle with consistency, he will constantly need an arm around his shoulders and be made to feel important if any manager wants to get the best out of him. He started last term in fabulous form, but without receiving that kind of attention, his form can dip dramatically, as it did over the second half of the season.

Nevertheless, when he is on form, Albert Riera can be one of the best left wingers in Europe. He has a powerful shot, is a strong header of the ball and he is capable of taking on and beating defenders: in spite of not being the quickest around.

In my opinion, he'll make a good signing for either Liverpool or Everton.

wonder if voronin is part of the improved deal, he doesnt give any details on it. i suppose with ngog there voronin is out in the cold. kuyt and keane are there to fill any gap if torres gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

- Why? (Given that we don't play with wingers and our world class centre forward doesn't need them as much as he needs through passes from midfield).

That person just does not understand football.

The main reason Torres was able to score against Sunderland is because the width of the wingers meant that the defence was more open. If there were no wingers, the FBs would have tucked in, and he wouldn't have been able to find space.

I said it in the match thread, but I'll say it again here, all three goals for Liverpool have some when El Zhar is on the pitch. Not because he was involved in any way, but because him being there changes the formation of the defence and allows the central attackers some space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm not just saying this because you's lost today. I thought this coming into the season, but i can see Liverpool finishing third at least at the expense of Arsenal.
    I don't understand Wenger. He's a great, great manager. But he seems wary of making big money, big player signings. Surely, there is only so much youth you can depend on. But there has to be some experience. Maybe i'll be proved wrong, but i think we'll finish above Arsenal this season!

I think it is more than just that. We are the only club left with an old fashioned board which also happens to be still a privately owned club. imo it is holding us back with wage caps and the inability to move forward. If either Usmanov or Kroenke buy the club that burden/restriction will be lifted. Until then we have to plod along. Not much good being the only side of the top four who happen to be making a profit if it is not invested in the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People should watch this if only for the commentary!

Allah, it appears, is now playing for LFC.

Man U, Spurs, Chelski, Arsenal.....its on now!!

REINA
    DEGEN CARRAGGER-SKRTEL-DOSSER
    MASCHERANO

---KEANE---GERRARD
    Babel

Kuyt

TORRES

mike65 wrote: »

Reina
    Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Keane
    Torres

Mike.

Same as mine, more or less.

Keane is more comfortable on the right, as he is a more fluid mover than the more muscled Kuyt. Kuyt is at his best, undoubtedly, in a central role.

As for the CB's, we are going to see variations on the Agger-Carra-Skrtel-Hyypia theme all season, just how it is. Injuries, Suspensions, styles of the oppostion etc will dictate that.

If Finnan stays, he will get his game at RB, undoubtedly. But I think Arbeloa is leaving and Degen will, eventually, get a look in.

REINA
    DEGEN CARRAGGER-SKRTEL-DOSSER
    MASCHERANO

---KEANE---GERRARD
    Babel

Kuyt

TORRES

Absolutely ridiculous formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    That person just does not understand football.

The main reason Torres was able to score against Sunderland is because the width of the wingers meant that the defence was more open. If there were no wingers, the FBs would have tucked in, and he wouldn't have been able to find space.

I said it in the match thread, but I'll say it again here, all three goals for Liverpool have some when El Zhar is on the pitch. Not because he was involved in any way, but because him being there changes the formation of the defence and allows the central attackers some space.

someone who has been going to Anfield every second week since 1971 does not understand football? how beautifully dismissive and condescending of you.

the reasons for the Torres goal at Sunderland was nothing to do with the introduction of El Zahr, it was very much to do with the introduction of Alonso who bossed the midfield when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Even if Masch is there, I can't see how Gerrard can be played in central midfield that often for the rest of the season give our options in the position. He was out of position numerous times today and he never showed for the ball off the defenders which meant it was easier for the boro midfielders to close down Xabi as he was our only option in the middle of the park. With Masch and Xabi/Lucas/Plessis/Spearing in the midfield, it's almost a guarantee that there will be two options in the middle all the time and Gerrard won't have to worry about tracking back and being in a proper position and will have more chances to score too.

I thought that whenever Keane dropped off into the midfield he linked up the play very well and I'm hoping he does it more often as the games go by. An attacking midfield three of Gerrard, Keane and Benayoun with Masch and Alonso behind them is the way forward IMO. Their movement would be awesome and all three are well capable of playing well in any of the 3 positions and are definately our 3 most creative attacking players. Alonso I feel would benefit from playing beside Masch too because he's an extra option and he'd probably have more time on the ball with opposition defenders being more worried about our '3'.

Aurelio and Finnan should both be given a go over the next few games too because Arbeloa has been shocking and although Dossena is still settling in he hasn't been great and should be used as a sub to gel him into the team and the style of play etc IMO, and because I think Aurelio is a better player. My strongest team at the moment would be:

Reina
    Finnan---Carragher
    Skrtel---Aurelio
    Mascherano---Alonso
    ---Gerrard
    Keane
    Benayoun---
    Torres

Agree with that formation - apart from maybe Babel in for Benayoun (thought Babel does seem to do better from the bench).

The thing that annoyed me on Saturday was that, when pressing for the equaliser, Aurelio was put on for Dossena. Here's me thinking Dossena was bought to be an attacking, marauding fullback... yet he's being replaced with the "more attacking" Aurelio? Was he injured? Knackered?

Just don't see the point of the purchase if he's being taken off when we need a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

PiE wrote: »
    The thing that annoyed me on Saturday was that, when pressing for the equaliser, Aurelio was put on for Dossena. Here's me thinking Dossena was bought to be an attacking, marauding fullback... yet he's being replaced with the "more attacking" Aurelio? Was he injured? Knackered?

Just don't see the point of the purchase if he's being taken off when we need a goal.
    It annoyed me too at the time but thinking about it again I'd say Doessena was knackered and also may have been feeling the effects of the head clash with Aliadiere. At one stage the camera showed Dossena's head and he had a nice big bump on it. He needed a stitch according to the commentator as well.

I just thought he brought him on as an option at set pieces given that we were forcing a lot of corners and free kicks in the final third but doing nothing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PiE wrote: »
    Agree with that formation - apart from maybe Babel in for Benayoun (thought Babel does seem to do better from the bench).

<snip>

It was his third competitive match in a completely new league. Aurelio has been at the club for nearly 2 years and has far more experience.

It isn't exactly rocket science.

• Advertisement

Yea cheers great, amazingly insightful of you as usual.
    At one stage the camera showed Dossena's head and he had a nice big bump on it. He needed a stitch according to the commentator as well.
    Well that's fair enough, I didn't know that - stream I was watching was pretty dodgy.

<snip>

It was his third competitive match in a completely new league. Aurelio has been at the club for nearly 2 years and has far more experience.

Dossenas probably played more games than Aurleio at this stage ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Aurelio has spent a large portion of his time at Liverpool injured. According to here he has played just 35 games.

Tusky wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous formation.

Sure.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't see the big mystery, he wasn't playing well he was replaced.

Liverpool won the match. Correct decision allround I'd say.

Aurelio has spent a large portion of his time at Liverpool injured. According to here he has played just 35 games.

Thats incorrect, hes had 53 apperances. This is his third season. Hes usually injured for 50% of every season.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    someone who has been going to Anfield every second week since 1971 does not understand football? how beautifully dismissive and condescending of you.

the reasons for the Torres goal at Sunderland was nothing to do with the introduction of El Zahr, it was very much to do with the introduction of Alonso who bossed the midfield when he came on.

El Zhar...hardy Har Har:D

Torres was quite central when he picked the ball up. He even had a touch. The full backs could have been up at the corner flag with their wingers and the center backs still would have had all day to close him down. They didn't. As it happens, Sunderland were across in a straight line...what caught them out was NOT that their FB's were being distracted wide by El Zhar:rolleyes: but that Torres, like Mido yesterday, was a mile from home and they didn't close down. 2 touches, advance a bit, and bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fresh legs? Not rocket science.

Anyway Aurelio has been known to play LMF as well so probly a better choice when were down a goal.

Say its more the fresh legs thing tho.

noodler wrote: »
    Fresh legs? Not rocket science.

Anyway Aurelio has been known to play LMF as well so probly a better choice when were down a goal.

Say its more the fresh legs thing tho.

I think its more than a coincidence that Liverpool went off the boil as soon as Dossena had that head clash. He had been quite busy since the opening and was making space for Benayoun {woeful choice- should have been Babel- read on}

As soon as Dossena slowed down Benayoun was seeing less and less space. That Boro back 4 are plenty big and just shoved him around, end of creative play.

I think Babel, who is bigger and faster, would have been the sort of guy who could have made things happen for us yesterday. As it happens he got flung in deep end when it was too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I think Babel, who is bigger and faster, would have been the sort of guy who could have made things happen for us yesterday. As it happens he got flung in deep end when it was too late.

+1
    I had had my eye on him for a while before liverpool got him and I think rafa should give him a full match more often, give him more exp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Surprised people haven't really been talking about Ballague's latest mystic meg act. I know he's not the most reliable, but at least in that one he's a bit more specific then he is usually, giving actual names and figures. It would be absolutely fantastic business to get Riera for 11m euros imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

didn't he have an undistinguished spell at Citeh?

by god ill go insane if i see this as the natural response yet again!

Yes he was poor at city, while largely being played against his strengths. And he was also poor before he was at city, hence the reason he went on loan to city in the first place. Then he went back to spain and got better. It has been known to happen to players! He's been very good for 2 years now, excellent for the most part last season, can we please stop judging him on 3 seasons ago when he's clearly developed a lot as a player.

hehe, only winding ya up...any more word on the mysterious English left-sided player capable of playing in three different positions?

hehe, only winding ya up...any more word on the mysterious English left-sided player capable of playing in three different positions?

nah, the likely suspects are still cole and downing i suppose...since theres noone else really. I wonder if Robinho being allowed leave Madrid will signal some more obvious interest from liverpool for cole.

• Advertisement

well the Toon are apparently lining up Malouda. The midfield does seem awfully congested there alright.

I'm surprised Rafa hasn't enquired about Martin Petrov

With Robiniho likely signing for Chelsea, I'd love us to go for Sean Wright Philips. He could probably be signed for about 10-12m. Definitely prefer him to Downing anyway. Cant comment on Riera as I aint seen much of him.

how do ye think Pool will do this season? Do you think they're a couple of players short of mounting a challenge? Do they need more width?

Yeah, just like Henrys undistinuished spells at Juve and Monaco.

PS.....Stuart Pierce could make Pele look undistinguished. And I don't mean ON the field neither.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement