Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ajeffares wrote: »
    Robbie Keane isn't even that great of a buy for liverpool. Lets face it he is fairly old. The main reason Liverpool want him is because they want to have an Irish player on the team at all times to keep the Irish fanbase up and Steve Finnan isn't going to be first team all season.

Are you for real? Firstly Keane is what, 27?? He's reaching his peak. Secondly, Keane is proven premiership quality who has scored a lot of goals for Spurs.
    Thirdly, do you really think Rafa is gonna spend 20m of a limited transfer budget with the Irish market in mind?? The Irish market will always be there, whether there are any Irish players there or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

The main reason Liverpool want him is because they want to have an Irish player on the team at all times to keep the Irish fanbase up and Steve Finnan isn't going to be first team all season.
    Are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Robbie Keane isn't even that great of a buy for liverpool. Lets face it he is fairly old. The main reason Liverpool want him is because they want to have an Irish player on the team at all times to keep the Irish fanbase up and Steve Finnan isn't going to be first team all season.

You're missing a lol and :D from that post, unless you're being serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

mike65 wrote: »
    That has got to be the dumbest theory I've read on this and any previous Liverpool super thread. :D

Mike.

Not alone that it was the dumbest post in the history the entire forum :D
    Ireland has what 4m people with maybe half at best who have an interest in football.
    At best there are 250,000 Liverpool fans in Ireland.
    If it was commercial reasons why not buy a Spanish/Chinese/American striker
    who would give them much much bigger commercial exposure.
    I dont know why im even trying to point out the gigantic holes in that theory :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Keane is such a clinical striker.
    half of his goals are away from home!
    Half!!!
    Torres can score freely at Anfield, but hasn't found his feet on the road (yet).
    Keane will score for us in those dreary drawn out games at bottom of the table clubs, where traditionaly we get another goaless draw!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Agbonlahor
    Andy Johnson? (If he was to play like his first season)

Sorry Mike;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Torres can score freely at Anfield.......
    Keane will score for us in those dreary drawn out games at bottom of the table clubs, where traditionaly we get another goaless draw!!!

that'll do nicely for me thanks very much:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

And another thing, hes another captain. Rafa loves them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

IrishMike wrote: »
    If it was commercial reasons why not buy a Spanish/Chinese/American striker
    who would give them much much bigger commercial exposure.
    I dont know why im even trying to point out the gigantic holes in that theory :confused:
    But sure who would but a Chinese player and sit him on the bench and use him for maketing reasons? That would just be Dong Dumb :D.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Agbonlahor

Sorry Mike;)

20m wouldnt get Agbonlahor
    Dont make me laugh about Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seriously though while Liverpool has often had Irish players and that is part of the reason for the fanbase here, if punters were the issue we'd have a Chinese forward line and get relegated.

I have no idea why Everton think they could get more than a packet of crisps and mars bar for Johnson.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

School is most definitely out for summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I always thought the the 28-31 was the supposed prime for a striker, hardly past it!

Back on track, whens the next game?

Saturday against Wisla Krakow

Mike.

Agbonlahor

Sorry Mike;)

Sorry for what exactly?
    You post is beyond ridiculous , not sure where you go from here :D

Sorry I just dont think he is the best buy
    I hope to be proven wrong when the season starts:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,311 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

who do you suggest then?

Agbonlahor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Agbonlahor

Yes, our good relationship with Aston Villa should make that a quick, easy, and good value transfer. ;)

Looks like Santa Cruz is staying at Edwood park, I think we need a striker with as cool a name though.

Mike.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but to be honest your logic is very flawed.

I personaly think that Keane is exactly the kind of player we need.

We Irish have a habit of being bregrudgers, so a lot of people don't give Keane the credit that he's due.
    Even the people that do think he's a good player for Tottenham still slag him off for Ireland.

He is our most prolific scorer of all time after all!
    And he's well on track to score more than 50 goals for his country, which is an amazing achievment.

Agbonlahor

Appearances: 99 Goals: 22

Am I missing something ?

Keane scored more goals in the calender year of 2007, than Agbonlahor has in his entire career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Just cant understand the Keane knockers.The lad is our countrys top scorer of all time and is a regular scorer in the Prem league.Am i missing something here.If he was Italian or Spanish we would be wetting ourselves over signing him.FFS sake give him a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Robbie Keane .......Lets face it he is fairly old.

Robbie Keane - 08 July, 1980
    Andy Johnson - 10 February, 1981

The 6 months makes all the difference alright..

And people wonder why I lost the plot on this thread yesterday.

• Advertisement

Possibly the most stupid thing i've read all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You're right, he wasn't the best buy, we paid over the odds for him :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Agbonlahor is a very good young player, but Keane has the experience and record. Considering we need more players for the 'now' having already plenty for the future, Id definately go with keane by a mile. If we had loads of money, sure, i'd love to see Gabby at pool too.

And people wonder why I lost the plot on this thread yesterday.

It's because you care!:)

Lucas vows to deliver more goals

LUCAS LEIVA today revealed Rafa Benitez has given him licence to attack and pledged to repay his manager's faith with goals.

The Brazilian midfielder opened the scoring for Liverpool in last night’s 2-1 friendly victory over Lucerne in Switzerland and after the game he admitted he is hoping for a better goals return in the coming season after notching just a single strike in the last campaign.

He said: “It’s always nice to score a goal and it was a good goal and a good win for the team so I’m happy about that.

“We know we have to work hard in pre-season because we have a long season ahead and we are trying to put the things we are doing in training into practice in the matches.

“The manager has given me more freedom to go forward and that suits me because that is my style. I think my form and fitness is improving every day even though it has been tiring because pre-season has been hard.

“I am confident that I can score more goals. Last season I got only one but in Brazil I scored quite a few so I have the belief that I can score more for Liverpool.”

Andriy Voronin was Liverpool’s match winner and Lucas was quick to praise his fellow goalscorer and 17-year-old Dani Pacheco who again impressed in only his second outing for the first team.

“Andriy’s goal gave us the win and it was a very good goal. Also, it was a great pass from Pacheco for my goal. He is a very intelligent player and he is getting better all the time.

“He is only 17 but I think he has a good future because he is already showing his qualities for Liverpool.”

Rafa Benitez was delighted to see Sebastian Leto play his first game for the club since December 2007 following work permit problems.

But the Argentinian winger is awaiting a positive outcome from a fresh application before the Reds boss will be able to call on his services regularly.

Steven Gerrard and Jermaine Pennant both missed last night’s game but are expected to be fit for Saturday’s clash with Wizla Krakow.

But Steve Finnan has returned to Merseyside to undergo physio on a troublesome ankle knock and will not rejoin the Swiss training camp.

Ryan Babel has reiterated his desire to play for Holland at the Olympics – despite his manager’s clear displeasure at the situation.

Good to see Lucas getting the license to go forward.
    Pity about Babel though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As a Villa fan and a Gabby fan, id prefer Keane in Villa's first 11 (not to say he has more potential or anything)

As a Villa fan and a Gabby fan, id prefer Keane in Villa's first 11 (not to say he has more potential or anything)

exactly. Gabby has fantastic potential, but for the here and now its hard not to go for the proven record. Its all about balance, and liverpool have bought plenty of players for the future, what we need is someone who will do their job straight off the bat, no maturing or acclimatising required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Finally looks like the Leto situation will be resolved with the next week or so.
    If he can't get a passport, I expect him to most likely be sold, or at the very least loaned out. Definitely can't see him hanging around just to play in reserve and friendly games for a couple of years.

If he can play for us then I expect him to be in the first-team squad and one of the players possibly to benefit from the seven rules thing. Also it would be a plus in terms of actual cover for when Babel is at the Olympics (don't think there is a huge chacne Leto will get called up, but with Barca being arssey about Messi you never know - fingers crossed). It also givez us more options, no? :)

I was wondering about the non-appearance of Finnan and Pennant in the team or among the subs, but looks like they have minor knocks. Obviously don't want to do any serious damage if there is a possibility of them being sold.

Also - bloody Italians paper pushers - probably be Christmas before we see Dossena at this stage.

In the friendly the boy Pacheo looked well tasty - showed lovely vision and some lovely touches. He's only about 5'7 but doesnt seem to be too hassled by the physical side of things. As noted below Leto played well - as did Voronin. Lucas also put in a good performance. I'm expecting him to up his goal tally significantly this season especially if he is given licence to get forward - as per previous article. Seems to have a knack for ending up in the box in good positions unmarked when he does get forward. However the game was a glorified training session really. On the negative side Degen looked suspect defensively - might be rustiness with not having played for a long while but his positioning didnt look like that of an instinctive defender. Also Cavalieri had a couple of dodgy moments - Fingers crossed it was just settling in nerves.
    BENITEZ WELCOMES RETURN OF LETO

Steve Hunter in Grenchen 16 July 2008

Rafael Benitez welcomed the return of Sebastian Leto after the Argentine winger enjoyed an impressive run-out during the 2-1 win over FC Lucerne in Grenchen.

The left winger, who was signed by Benitez from Club Atletico Lanus, gave an exciting performance during the 55 minutes that he was on the pitch.

Andriy Voronin scored a brilliant winner for Rafael Benitez's side after Mario Gavranovic had equalised Lucas' opener.

Due to work permit problems Leto last played a competitive match for the reserves against Middlesbrough on December 10, 2008, and the Reds boss is now hoping to have the winger available for selection in his squad this season.

"Leto is a good player and he showed tonight the quality that he has," said Benitez. "He has had some problems with his work permit but hopefully that will be okay because has a lot of quality.

"We are waiting to hear when that permit will come through and we should find that out in the next 10 days.

"I thought there were a lot of positives to take for us from this game. The idea was to continue improving the fitness level of the players. It was a good game with a lot of opportunities and like many times last season I could see another game when their goalkeeper was man of the match.

"The understanding between Daniel Pacheco and Voronin was good and both players did well. The team worked really hard which was good. We kept the ball well and passed the ball well.

"It was also good to give Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt and Javier Mascherano their first games. Kuyt has only just joined us for training and wanted to play tonight."

Steven Gerrard was an unused substitute but Benitez revealed that decision was taken as a precaution because of tiredness, and confirmed his skipper is expected to play against Wisla Krakow on Saturday,

"Steven Gerrard was a little bit tired so we didn't want to take any risks," added the boss. "Jermaine Pennant has a knock so like Gerrard we didn't want to take any risk.

"Steve Finnan has a problem with his thigh and he is back in Liverpool receiving treatment."

The Reds boss also revealed that Andrea Dossena couldn't play because international clearance had not arrived in time for this match. It is hoped he can make his debut against Wisla Krakow in Poland on Saturday.

Benitez also confirmed that Ryan Babel will be allowed to go to the Olympics with the Holland squad.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160556080716-2117.htm

Sky Sports News have a breaking news scrollbar thing saying

"Stoke End Interest in Signing Scott Carson From Liverpool"

I would have said Scott would have been much better off going to West Brom anyway..

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Sky Sports News have a breaking news scrollbar thing saying

"Stoke End Interest in Signing Scott Carson From Liverpool"

I would have said Scott would have been much better off going to West Brom anyway..

WBA can offer more for his wages.
    Stoke were probably priced out.

In terms of the Stoke thing I'd say they ended their interest when Scott told them he preferred WBA to them.

Some rumours that with Blackburn accepting Villa's bid for Friedel, they are interested in making a bid for Carson.

WBA versus Blackburn - not exactly a tough decision really is it?

Wonder if this will bump up his price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Also - bloody Italians paper pushers - probably be Christmas before we see Dossena at this stage.

what? dossena was in the squad was he not?

BREAKING NEWS

Elisha Scott : (Speaking about Keane) "Everything is done, fee, personal terms. He just needs to have his medical. Hopefully that will be today/tomorrow"

Thats as good as fact to me! w00t.

what? dossena was in the squad was he not?

Yeah but still waiting to get his international clearance through so he can actually play for us. Complete paperwork holdup crap :(

See previous article re return of Leto for detail from Rafa - hope to have clearance by next Wed's friendly

Tusky wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS

Elisha Scott : (Speaking about Keane) "Everything is done, fee, personal terms. He just needs to have his medical. Hopefully that will be today/tomorrow"

Excellent news :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be amazed at doing a Keane deal this quickly, especially with the fact that Levy is known world wide for being a complete hard ass when it comes to transfers.

Keane, Torres, Gerrard, Babel - I assume they will be our main attacking options next year. Lots of firepower there.
    PHB wrote: »
    I'd be amazed at doing a Keane deal this quickly, especially with the fact that Levy is known world wide for being a complete hard ass when it comes to transfers.

According to Elisha Scott - negotiations have been ongoing behind the scenes for some time. It just wasnt reported in the press until recently.

Taking this into account, as it stands we're at;

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Dossena
    Masch--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel
    Torres

Nice.

Reina
    Masch--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel
    Torres

Nice.

Yup, not a bad team.

Couple of points:

-I would have Skrtel in the team ahead of both Carra & Agger based on performances last season.

-I really hope Babel steps up to the plate and actually comes good. He didnt have an effect on enough games last year.

-The only weakness, and Its not really even a weakness, in that team is Arbeloa. Hes good without being great and I definitely think we should eventually improve on him. (obviously I cant comment on Dossena).

In regards to the bench - It would be good to have another match winner on there, someone who can come on and change a game. Currently we have Kuyt, Benayoun, Voronin & Pennant. Definitely lacking a super sub.

Reina
    Masch--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel
    Torres

Nice.

Subs are also decent
    Kuyt
    Skyrtel
    Finnan
    Benayoun
    Lucas
    Aurelio
    Pennant (so far)
    Voronin
    Nemeth

PP giving 8/1 for Keane to be the next signing for a club from

D Berbatov 3.75
    G Barry 7.50
    D Drogba 10.00
    D Bentley 4.00
    R Keane 8.00
    A Johnson 11.00
    F Lampard 4.50
    C Ronaldo 9.00
    E Adebayor 13.00
    A Arshavin 6.00

Might be worth a fiver.

Mike.

Tusky wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS

If I cross my fingers any harder, I'll end up with arthritis!:P

mike65 wrote: »
    PP giving 8/1 for Keane to be the next signing for a club from

D Berbatov 3.75
    G Barry 7.50
    D Drogba 10.00
    D Bentley 4.00
    R Keane 8.00
    A Johnson 11.00
    F Lampard 4.50
    C Ronaldo 9.00
    E Adebayor 13.00
    A Arshavin 6.00

Might be worth a fiver.

Mike.

Market Suspended :rolleyes: - wonder why?

Betting on first next major transfer suspended. Got in just in time. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Hope this source is spot on.If so it's smiles all round from me.Keane in,keep Alonso,MON stuck with Barry:pac:...wonderful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement