Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

raven136 wrote: »
    looked good so far hasnt he eh?at least he hasnt been inconsistent like the past two seasons:rolleyes:

Parry would have to use his own money to buy messi to ever be popular with the fans again

And what Liverpool player has played well in all three competitive games this season ? Reina maybe ? Thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

but he was brazen enough to issue the statement of it in his own name on the LFC website.
    Brazen enough me arse. The other two refused to put their names to it leaving Parry with no choice to issue the statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

raven136 wrote: »
    looked good so far hasnt he eh?at least he hasnt been inconsistent like the past two seasons:rolleyes:
    Indeed, I would guess that a lot of fans who were pro-Xabi and anti-Barry, if they were honest, might have changed their minds now. Alonso was excellent v Sunderland, but I can't think of any excuse for his poor performance v Boro. Was the Sunderland game one of the few he gets in the Premiership, where for some reason the opposition give him time on the ball and thus allow him to run the game? Or was it just that he was on top form and was creating space for himself? I dunno, but I lean towards the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

zing wrote: »
    Brazen enough me arse. The other two refused to put their names to it leaving Parry with no choice to issue the statement.
    You haven't thought that one through. "No choice".
    You're wholly incorrect. But you're entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't really know much about Riera, but he's got to be an improvement of Kuyt. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about his low number of goals and assists, the key question is can he take part in Liverpools intricate build up play, because that was the primary problem with Kuyt.

I'd be shocked, shocked, to see Gerrard go back to the middle. I think Liverpool will line up like this from here on.

Alonso*
    Mascherano

3 from Riera/Gerrard/Keane/Babel

Torres

That'll be first choice. I'd suspect the most natural formation to emerge from that will be ----Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel

Torres

But I think we'll just have to wait and see. The key thing is to see how Torres and Keane can develop their partnership, then Gerrard since he can play either behind or on the wings with close to equal effectiveness will adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

You haven't thought that one through. "No choice".
    You're wholly incorrect. But you're entitled to your opinion.

So I should have added - in his own name.

But according to Tony Barrett (who I trust as a very credible source) the owners would not put their names to the statement.
    Significantly, Hicks and Gillett chose not to put their names to an official club statement insisting the £18m asking price for Barry was too high, preferring to leave it to go out in Parry’s name.

In effect, Parry was handed a smoking gun, in all likelihood because the owners feared any perceived lack of backing for Benitez would have a negative effect on their already negligible popularity among Liverpool's fans.

So how am I wholly incorrect then ? The above indicates that the club were issuing a statement, Gillet & Hicks wouldn't put their names to it so that left Parry to do so. Or it could have been another anonymous statement from the club but my reading of the smoking gun bit suggests he wasn't given too much choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Tusky wrote: »
    And what Liverpool player has played well in all three competitive games this season ? Reina maybe ? Thats about it.

the difference is alonso has been up and down for 2 seasons,thats not what anyone of us want.I as much as anyone want him back to the first season form but the evidence is not there.
    He doesnt get the space he needs in the premiership and for some reason he has gone backwards not forwards in his liverpool career.

We can debate till the cows come home if Barry is better or more creative but he is more consistent.
    My way of reading it is xabi might have a stormer then a shocker but Barry offers you and very good game most games.
    Rafa clearly believed the same and thats why he wanted him.
    Also the fact he could cover the left(but not as a winger)seemed to make him the ideal rafa signing(options,options,options).

We keep alonso and what happens is what happened Saturday against Boro,he loses the ball after being hassled off it,neither him nor Gerrard are deep enoigh to win it back and the defence is under pressure.We are left wide open and although Masch is back we could do with a better option as a defensive mid than xabi.
    Im not basing these comments on 3 games but the past 2 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't really know much about Riera, but he's got to be an improvement of Kuyt.

Riera is a left sided player, never seen him on the right. I think the arrival would work best if it means Babel can move to the right and Kuyt on the bench.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought he was both footed? That's just from a hazy memory of his city days though.

It is possible though that it signals Rafa doesn't think Babel is ready yet, so is looking at a Keane/Gerrard on the right and the middle, and Riera on the left, with Babel as an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    I thought he was both footed? That's just from a hazy memory of his city days though.

It is possible though that it signals Rafa doesn't think Babel is ready yet, so is looking at a Keane/Gerrard on the right and the middle, and Riera on the left, with Babel as an impact sub.

Very possible i think. Could see Babel play in Nando's role in Cup comp or towards end of a game when the relult is secure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Or just Riera and Babel change everweek as to who is starting.

Well I was thinking medium term, ie next season

Reina
    ?????-Agger-Skrtle-Dossena
    Masch
    Babel---Gerrard----Riera
    Keane
    Torres

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I just want a winger who can cross, go past players, have some bit of creatability and possibly add in a few goals.

Surely thats the standard for a winger these days.

and take corners? :pac:

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

zAbbo wrote: »
    Riera, gives us options, no?
    That's all though. See eZe's post from earlier in the thread - he was bollocks for the second half of last season in Spain. It was just that he dazzled in the first half.

Just watch out folks, for all the advantages:

- he'll stretch the field;
    - is capable of beating his man and getting good supply into the box;

he'll frustrate:

- doesn't tackle or track back;
    - can seem disinterested;
    - makes mental errors;

I can forsee a lot of games where he starts and is taking off after 60 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's all though. See eZe's post from earlier in the thread - he was bollocks for the second half of last season in Spain. It was just that he dazzled in the first half.

Just watch out folks, for all the advantages:

- he'll stretch the field;
    - is capable of beating his man and getting good supply into the box;

he'll frustrate:

- doesn't tackle or track back;
    - can seem disinterested;
    - makes mental errors;

I can forsee a lot of games where he starts and is taking off after 60 mins.

In fairness, we should give him a chance. He could have made a mental error by signing for Everton, but he's showed his experience and good decision making by going red and i, for one, welcome our new Spaniard.

To be fair he would not have made the error - Liverpool was his prefered club and he told Espanyol that - forceably apparently.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

I just want a winger who can cross, go past players, have some bit of creatability and possibly add in a few goals.

Surely thats the standard for a winger these days.

who have we ever had like that before?

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    In fairness, we should give him a chance. He could have made a mental error by signing for Everton, but he's showed his experience and good decision making by going red and i, for one, welcome our new Spaniard.

Well yeah - I'm sure he will be welcomed and one would expect that we won't see his best for the first few games as he settles in. I'm just noting that he won't be our answer to Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

IIt is possible though that it signals Rafa doesn't think Babel is ready yet, so is looking at a Keane/Gerrard on the right and the middle, and Riera on the left, with Babel as an impact sub.

Possible, but I thought you were of the belief that "any" wide player for Liverpool, would be an improvement?

Personally, I don't see Babel as a "sub" option, and I expect him to make a huge impact this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

podge018 wrote: »

John Barnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Er, Steve McManaman, John Barnes and Steve Heighway for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm just noting that he won't be our answer to Ronaldo.

we dont need an answer to their Ronaldo, we already have Torres and Gerrard.

Who is their Gerrard and Torres? they dont have one.

we just need to improve in other areas-and Riera is an improvement on Pennant, Kewell, Kuyt, Riise.

Thats really my point...the last decent winger we had was Mcmanaman.

I know Liverpool do not normally use the "traditional" winger but its a disgrace that we do not have a propper winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Haven't really seen anything of Riera these past 2 yrs. But I remember him on loan at Man City 2 years ago and he wasn't that impressive - some good ball skills but very very lazy iirc. Basically much like the way LuckyLlyod has described him above.

I assume he's got much much better at Espanyol? What's his assist rate like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mike65 wrote: »
    Well I was thinking medium term, ie next season

Reina
    ?????-Agger-Skrtle-Dossena
    Masch
    Babel---Gerrard----Riera
    Keane
    Torres

Mike.

I'd like to see Babel on the right in a game or two. His pace would offer more in attack than Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

SofaK wrote: »
    Haven't really seen anything of Riera these past 2 yrs. But I remember him on loan at Man City 2 years ago and he wasn't that impressive - some good ball skills but very very lazy iirc. Basically much like the way LuckyLlyod has described him above.

It's a fair point, and that is my memory of him. La Liga football is played at a much lower pace, to that in the prem. I just hope that he can step-up to the mark.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    we dont need an answer to their Ronaldo, we already have Torres and Gerrard.

Who is their Gerrard and Torres? they dont have one.

we just need to improve in other areas-and Riera is an improvement on Pennant, Kewell, Kuyt, Riise.

Well, time will tell - but I'm not sure that, once the overall package is considered, he will end up being THAT much of an improvement over what Kuyt brings to the table. But yeah, the other three names (for a variety of reasons) weren't up to the task last year.
    Thats really my point...the last decent winger we had was Mcmanaman.

I know Liverpool do not normally use the "traditional" winger but its a disgrace that we do not have a propper winger.

It's not a disgrace. Our success in Europe over the past few years has been achieved, in part, through not having traditional wingers on the flanks (i.e. tricky lightweight technical players who don't bother with defending). Defensively, having the likes of Kuyt out there who will run himself into the ground for you is a massive advantage.

And again, McManaman was not a traditional winger - he came inside a lot to link through the middle and rarely broke to the endline and cut it back.

Football doesn't have to be 442 with two tough centre backs / two pacey full backs / two lightweight dribblers on the wing / a tough enforcer and a playmaker combination in the middle / with a little and big man combination upfront. It isn't 1977 anymore.

there are stats a couple of pages back if you are willing to search.

a bit meh to be honest

• Advertisement

It's not a disgrace. Our success in Europe over the past few years has been achieved, in part, through not having traditional wingers on the flanks (i.e. tricky lightweight technical players who don't bother with defending). Defensively, having the likes of Kuyt out there who will run himself into the ground for you is a massive advantage.

Yes but this season we need to focus on the premiership. We need tricky people to go past the big heavy defenders that feature in most premiership games. It like what torres said...most defenders use their brawn not their brains - a tricky winger would have them day in day out.

And again, McManaman was not a traditional winger - he came inside a lot to link through the middle and rarely broke to the endline and cut it back.

Football doesn't have to be 442 with two tough centre backs / two pacey full backs / two lightweight dribblers on the wing / a tough enforcer and a playmaker combination in the middle / with a little and big man combination upfront. It isn't 1977 anymore.

How many matches are we going to have where we keep bombing forward to try and bash throught the central defense when we should go around. It wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is Torres going to get on the end of these deliveries? Whenever I see him play, he seems most effective running at - and past - defenders.

Is Torres going to get on the end of these deliveries? Whenever I see him play, he seems most effective running at - and past - defenders.

In fairness, hes excellent in the air also.

Last season, Alberto Riera made 37 league appearances for Espanyol (7 as a sub). Over those games he scored 4 goals; had 6 assists and was fouled 86 times. Those numbers are good, not earth shattering.

The previous season he made 41 appearances between the league and UEFA cup (9 as a sub) and scored 8 goals with 7 assists. Again, decent numbers.

But, bear in mind the difference between La Liga and the EPL and the UEFA and CL. As such, I'm not going to get overly excited if this signing is completed.

I see Riera being brought in to provide competition at LW. I dont think he will be first choice.

Torres/N'gog

Babel/Riera
    Keane/Benny
    Gerrard/Kuyt

Mascherano/Plessis--Alonso/Lucas

But, bear in mind the difference between La Liga and the EPL and the UEFA and CL. As such, I'm not going to get overly excited if this signing is completed.

Also worth bearing in mind the different calibre of player Liverpool possess in comparrison with Espanyol. ie: one can only imagine its easier to play with the likes of Alonso,Mascherano,Babel,Torres,Gerrard etc than the players in the current Espanyol team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have never seen riera play for espanol and i remember fcuk all of him from city so i will give him the chance that everyone deserves before writing him off or signing his praises. stats are sometimes misleading and we wont really know until we see him play week in week out for liverpool.

But if he is good enough for rafa he is good enough for me!

Yes but this season we need to focus on the premiership. We need tricky people to go past the big heavy defenders that feature in most premiership games. It like what torres said...most defenders use their brawn not their brains - a tricky winger would have them day in day out.

I'm afraid you are being overly simplistic. By that logic, players like Milner, Downing, Richardson, Elano etc would be considered as the best players in the league and absolutely destroy teams week in, week out. They don't though and are little more than above average starters because the game isn't that simple and stereotyped.

Wingers who have destroyed the premiership on a regular basis in the past (Giggs, Duff for a few years, McManaman, Robben, Ronaldo etc) are or were either utterly exceptional athletes who could attack with the ball at feet at a lighting pace - or were able to combine above average athleticism with a good eye for were to be at the right time. Ronaldo has it all - and is therefore the best attacking player in the league.

I can't see Riera being much more than a Milner tbh - looking good in games when he is mismatched against a slower fullback or against a team that lacks good synergy defensively down his side. But I'll be surprised if he will be the dependable key to unlock defenses when we play the top sides or come up against a side that is well organized and up for spoiling us.

Anyway, we shall see I guess.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Also worth bearing in mind the different calibre of player Liverpool possess in comparrison with Espanyol. ie: one can only imagine its easier to play with the likes of Alonso,Mascherano,Babel,Torres,Gerrard etc than the players in the current Espanyol team.

Well, if you watched a little of Espanyol last season (particularly before Christmas) they certainly were able to get the ball down and play.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I have never seen riera play for espanol and i remember fcuk all of him from city so i will give him the chance that everyone deserves before writing him off or signing his praises. stats are sometimes misleading and we wont really know until we see him play week in week out for liverpool.

But if he is good enough for rafa he is good enough for me!

This is the last I'll say. I'm not wishing him any ill will and I certainly hope he goes out and completely disproves my doubts over the next few years. I don't believe though that being a fan means we should shut off the critical faculty of our brain - and from what I have seen of this guy I think we would have been better served spending our money elsewhere.

But indeed, Benitez knows more about the game than I do and must believe he will fit in well.

• Advertisement

agreed, but we are a far superior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Does anyone know what this quote was in relation to? Did he get dicked over by Espanyol or is he whining about nothing?
    "I do not want to be part of a club that does not take care of or protect its players," Riera said.

I'm afraid you are being overly simplistic. By that logic, players like Milner, Downing, Richardson, Elano etc would be considered as the best players in the league

To be fair i wouldn't consider those players for the role at liverpool, they are not the type i was commenting on.
    Wingers who have destroyed the premiership on a regular basis in the past (Giggs, Duff for a few years, McManaman, Robben, Ronaldo etc) are or were either utterly exceptional athletes who could attack with the ball at feet at a lighting pace - or were able to combine above average athleticism with a good eye for were to be at the right time.

Because they have been clever and taken the game to the defenders not pass it around them. They dont care if they get lamped they just get up and keep doing it cos they know its working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

defenders don't like players who run at them and give them something to think about. If Pool do sign Riera, hopefully he'll add that extra dimension to their play, make it somewhat more dynamic. At the moment, in terms of width, all Pool have are strikers / central players playing wide and coming central. Though I would like to see Pennant in the side, he looked decent towards the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Its a tough decision for Rafa. Riera is not cheap. 15 Mil the papers are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't really know much about Riera,

I do so I'll just add my 2 cents if that's ok.

He's very much one footed (left).
    Haven't really seen anything of Riera these past 2 yrs. But I remember him on loan at Man City 2 years ago and he wasn't that impressive - some good ball skills but very very lazy iirc.

That's him in a nutshell really.

He was MOM in the City game I went to see but even then he was very lazy, had little or no pace, and was unable to skin a full back. Never ever helped out his full back either. On a positive note, he was a good crosser of the ball but he does most of that from deeper positions.

To be honest, and my reaction is the same as the City forums, I can't believe Liverpool are paying £10/15 million for a player we turned down for £3.5 million. Ok it was 2 years ago but he hasn't improved that much since then surely to warrant a big price tag and a place in a 'Top 4' squad. Is the move a desperate attempt to appease the fans after the Barry fiasco? I'm not sure, but what I do know is that £10/15 million for Albert Riera is shcoking to say the least. It could work out well but I honestly can't see him wowing the Anfield faithful in the same way as a direct pacy winger in the old-Duff mould would.

I'll leave you with a quote from one City fan which pretty much sums up our feelings -
    I think we were quoted about 3.5m and I was glad we didn't part with that much.

He might have been playing well, but you can't give somebody pace they aint got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

ajeffares wrote: »
    Its a tough decision for Rafa. Riera is not cheap. 15 Mil the papers are saying.

£9m/£9.5m seems to be the figure doin' the rounds.

Edit: if it's £15m surely Downing would be the better option?

ajeffares wrote: »
    15 Mil the papers are saying.

Thats a big gamble...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's him in a nutshell really.

He was MOM in the City game I went to see but even then he was very lazy, had little or no pace, and was unable to skin a full back. Never ever helped out his full back either. On a positive note, he was a good crosser of the ball but he does most of that from deeper positions.

To be honest, and my reaction is the same as the City forums, I can't believe Liverpool are paying £10/15 million for a player we turned down for £3.5 million. Ok it was 2 years ago but he hasn't improved that much since then surely to warrant a big price tag and a place in a 'Top 4' squad. Is the move a desperate attempt to appease the fans after the Barry fiasco? I'm not sure, but what I do know is that £10/15 million for Albert Riera is shcoking to say the least. It could work out well but I honestly can't see him wowing the Anfield faithful in the same way as a direct pacy winger in the old-Duff mould would.

I'll leave you with a quote from one City fan which pretty much sums up our feelings -

Well Riera only had 15 apperances in the league and 4 apperances in the Fa Cup for Man City. With all due respect, Man City of two years ago were pretty dire and I recall him being played as a wing back. I agree, if you judge him based on his days at Man City, it looks like hes not up to much.

However, Rafa is judging him on his last two seasons at Espanyol, which earned him his first few caps in the Spanish national side.

I'm not saying hes a world beater, but its unfair to judge him on his very brief stint at Man City. Its pretty clear to me that hes being brought in as back up for Ryan Babel. Rafa likes two players in all positions and we currently only have Babel for the left.

P.S the price being quoted is 8-12m, not 15m.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    P.S the price being quoted is 8-12m, not 15m.

euros or sterling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement