Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Milner has handed in a transfer request. Would like us to go for him tbh.
    he played well yesertday, albeit against coventry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tusky wrote: »
    6a00f48cdf229f000300e398f106430004-500pi

Oh dear god no. If we spend 8m on Riera and about the same Milner, I will hunt Benitez down and beat him with my shoe. If we have 16m to spend, we should but one top class player.

haha :) i know wat you mean mate but i dont think there is any top class wingers available for 16m and i think Milner could turn into one playing at a better club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yeah, just seen it there on SSN, Milner leaving it late to hand in the request, with less than a week left in the window??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

haha :) i know wat you mean mate but i dont think there is any top class wingers available for 16m and i think Milner could turn into one playing at a better club.

Torres/N'gog

Babel/Riera
    Keane/Benayoun
    Gerard/Kuyt

I dont even see where he would fit in. The above doesnt even include El Zhar, Voronin or Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The player he wants, he isn't allowed to buy.

He's not world class though and that seems to be why Benitez isn't being allowed to buy him, because the board (Americans) realise that he is not worth the money.

Torres/N'gog

Bable/Riera
    Keane/Benayoun
    Gerard/Kuyt

I dont even see where he would fit in. The above doesnt even include El Zhar, Voronin or Pennant.

Of all the players you named, three are at this moment in time, good enough to win you the Premier League, Torres, Keane and Gerrard.

The rest are currently developing or are at the Newcastle/Villa/Everton level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eZe^ wrote: »
    I don't see why ye aren't in for Diego Capel to be honest, 16 million euro buy out clause, one of the most promising left sided wingers in the world at the moment. 20 years old and imo at a higher level than Riera already. Unbelievably pacey, tricky and intelligent. The only thing is he is as one footed as RVP.

Sorted, and we'd even have some change left over with the exchange rate!

I'd try and get shut of Voronin,Pennant or Finnan in a swap deal with them with a couple of million on top.

Its all about options and it'd leave...Gerrard/Kuyt/Milner for the right..Babel/Riera/Milner for the left (he can play both sides as far as i know. Plus he'd also be able to do the job in the Gerrard/Keane role in the centre.

As i said, i'd take him. but i raete him highly, have done for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He'd be a step up from Pennant, if only cause he's more diverse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He'd be a step up from Pennant, if only cause he's more diverse pennant is cock.

Fixed that for you.

Edit: Milner Transfer Request link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7584126.stm

Draupnir wrote: »
    Of all the players you named, three are at this moment in time, good enough to win you the Premier League, Torres, Keane and Gerrard.

The rest are currently developing or are at the Newcastle/Villa/Everton level.

Thats great man, thats really great.

The other guys are back up a in a similar way that Saha, Giggs, Park, Fletcher etc are back up for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

New site is up for ticket purchases. Not sure if it'll be any better than the old but it can't be much worse. I tried logging in with my fan card number and it wouldn't take it for some reason but took my email address as the username instead.

zing wrote: »
    New site is up for ticket purchases. Not sure if it'll be any better than the old but it can't be much worse. I tried logging in with my fan card number and it wouldn't take it for some reason but took my email address as the username instead.

I thought the fan card thing was done with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think the Millner transfer request may be due to Villa's interest. There has been a fair bit of talk back and forth that they have been in talks with Newcastle this week trying to do a deal. Also given MON is a fan and he has been at Villa before I think he is likely to end up there, given he is likely to start a lot more games there than for Liverpool. The current valuation is around the £9m mark - there was talk that Newcastle turned that down. I think it's unlikely he will end up at Liverpool. A deal involving Pennant/Voronin/Finnan might be an option. However all of those three would be looking for tasty enough wages which I can't see Newcastle matching at the moment.

On the Finnan thing - he's quite clearly dropped down the pecking order in Rafa's eyes. In my view Arbeloa is Rafa's preferred number one RB, with Degen presuambly his number two option ( all the talk of full-backs providing width and getting forward) with Finnan at number three. Also the fact that Darby was given quite a bit of game time pre-season plus the fact that Carra (or even Aurelio) can always play RB in dire emergencies, means that there is a lot of cover for the position.

Given that Finnan is unlikey to play many minutes on the pitch this season I can see Rafa's thinking in looking to move him on. I think we could well get
    £2m for him which could be used to strengthening the squad in other areas.
    I think there are a number of teams he could do an excellent job for two seasons.

Also on the Newcastle thing - anyone else think we lost out a bit on the Guthrie deal - looked very good in the Coventry match last night and has been in decent form for them in games played to date. I think we could look back at this one at the end of the season and be thinking we sold him way too cheaply.

Thats great man, thats really great.

The other guys are back up a in a similar way that Saha, Giggs, Park, Fletcher etc are back up for United.

I was just saying, there is very little point buying more average crap to replace average crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I thought the fan card thing was done with.

They're not issuing new ones but existing cards are still active.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/tickets/fancard.htm
    From May 31 2008 we will no longer issue new Fan Cards. If you are an existing Fan card holder your card will remain active. You will still be able to apply for tickets and have your attendance recorded. You can use your Fan Card in exactly the same way as in previous seasons; this includes all cup purchases (subject to availability).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You never know how a player will react to a transfer. Look at Torres. His adaptation and integration to the team has been astounding but many Liverpool fans had doubts about him before the transfer went through. Who can say that Downing/Reira/Milner etc. won't make a similar step up. Every transfer is a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lets try stay civil and on topic people.

Also on the Newcastle thing - anyone else think we lost out a bit on the Guthrie deal - looked very good in the Coventry match last night and has been in decent form for them in games played to date. I think we could look back at this one at the end of the season and be thinking we sold him way too cheaply.

I'd say that there's a good chance Rafa put a sell on clause in there.

PHB wrote: »

?

It's just that I didn't see anything off topic or abusive.

• Advertisement

I'd say that there's a good chance Rafa put a sell on clause in there.

There bloody better be given the prices for English midfielders these days. I know the lad is young still but there is a distinct possibility of him being sold down the line for more than the £2.5m we received for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

this is the first post i've sent in a while so i jst want to pick up on one or two things ive seen on this trend...

Was thinking the same thing.. i can't believe he was sold considering the lack of central midfielders we had in the last few games, he would have done a much better job then plessis anyway who could turn out great but he's quite slow on the ball.

don't know anything about reira but if the prices quoted are true then it's not a massive gamble like Torres was and iif he can provide width and good delivery then that can't be a bad thing. plus competion i suppose..

i'm really surprised with the amount of people who are putting Gerrard on the right of there prefered team, i remember before how people couldn't understand why he was being played there!

And now that i'm on that point i'm just wondering what do eh think is the best team we can field, everyone fully fit and obviously no reira util confirmed?

Reina

Skrtel
    Agger
    ---Carra
    Aureilo----
    Masch

Alonso

Gerrard

Keane
    Babel

Torres

That would be mine anyway...
    Carragher prob wouldn't offer much in attack but defensively you can't argue while i picked aureilo cause i think he's better then dossena at the moment and he's got good delivery too. Agger and Skrtel are both excellent defenders and would complement eachother,
    Same midfield as last year... no surprises
    I'd like to see Keane and Babel as second strikers rather then wingers... although we need more attack minded full back then carragher anyway maybe arbeloa can do that although i'm not sure yet...
    So what you think and whats yours??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think Carra has the pace to play full-back tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

PHB wrote: »
    Sorry PHB.
    ?

It's just that I didn't see anything off topic or abusive.
    Draupnir decided he/she didn't like Tusky's comment and put a dig in about Liverpool which I responded to and which has since been edited so should probably just be forgotten about.

Just on the Finnan thing as well, am I the only one that thinks he played pretty poorly last season? Off the top of my head he had a 'mare against Barnsley and Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Cup for a start. I realise he wasn't the only one and two games are not a good indicator for a whole season but if he's not convincing defensively or offensively then the other right back options (Arbeloa, Degen, Darby) deserve a chance at that position.

Aside perhaps from re-signing Fowler, Rafa has shown that he's far from sentimental and also he has no reluctance in moving a player on.

Interview with Rafa from the official site.

Seems to think they have identified the reason for the poor performances in the last few games versus the pre-season games. Hurrah!!!

Was interesting to see about Dossena and the fact that he played in a back five as opposed to a back four last year - makes a lot of sense that it would take him some time to adjust.

Definitely no Masch or Lucas tonight. Would expect Babel to start.

No transfer talk of any kind.

On the Guthrie deal, I do think £2.5m will be seen as a bit of a bargain price in the future but I do think it was part of the sell-to-buy situation i.e. I think the money was probably needed to tie up the arrival of one of the incoming players.
    RAFA ON LIEGE, EL ZHAR AND IMPROVEMENT
    Liverpoolfc.tv 27 August 2008
    Rafael Benitez took five minutes out of his pre-match preparations for the Champions League qaulfifer at home to Liege to discuss the game with journalists in a radio press conference. Here's what he had to say.

Journalist: Rafa, you've taken maximum points in the Barclays Premier League without hitting top form. How much confidence has that given you ahead of the match with Standard Liege?

I think it's always important to win but the main concern for me now, is to ensure we improve and make sure we play better. If we do that then I'm sure it will be easier to score goals.

Journalist: Looking back at the first-leg, do you feel it was more of case of how well they played, or how badly Liverpool performed?

I think that they were good but we were also really poor. If we play at our level then it will be more difficult for them. It is clear that Anfield can be massive for us, so it is really, really important for us.

Journalist: You've played in a number of these Champions League qualifiers over the years. Are Liege the most difficult opponent you have faced?

I think so. Standard Liege were very good in the first game and I know it will be more difficult than in the past, but once again it is the same situation. We are at Anfield and we are confident. We have to win and I think we will win.

Journalist: Are the performances in the three games so far a long way away from the standard that you would expect?

Yes, clearly. We were scoring a lot of goals at the end of the pre-season and the team was improving. I was really pleased and felt we were in a good moment. But we haven't played well in the last three games and we know we have to improve, that is clear.

Journalist: Looking at the strike partnership between Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres, there were signs on Saturday that they were beginning to link well...

Yes, I think they were much better. The team wasn't good enough around them but I think both players were linking well and the understanding will get better.

Journalist: As ever, do you feel the crowd will be important against Liege?

Yes, I think our supporters know how important this game is and if the team has problems they get behind them. So, I am sure they will support the team and that will be key if we want to win and win more games in the future.

Journalist: It's been a trait with the team since you arrived, that when Liverpool need to win, they win. How do you instil that mentality in the players?

I think the key is to have confidence in your ability and the quality of your players. We know we have enough to win these type of games so we will try to do it properly.

Journalist: How big a blow would it in terms of affecting transfer targets and what you are trying to build at the club, if you get knocked out against Liege?

In terms of money for the club we know it is really important but with the end of the transfer window so close then I don't think it would make a massive difference. The key for me will be to do the right things in the game and make sure we are not talking about 'if' we have enough money or not.

Journalist: Let's talk a little bit about Nabil El Zhar. He's a player you've used in the last three games that perhaps some fans won't know too much about...

Maybe people don't know too much about him because he is in the reserve team. He is a player with quality, he has ability with skill and pace. He has game intelligence and is an international for Morocco. He can be a good player for us. He needs experience and will need time but he is the kind of player that can change games.

Journalist: Ryan Babel was doing that for you last season and it seems like El Zhar could do it this time around. He came on against 'Boro' on Saturday and it was his pacy run that led to the first goal...

Yes, clearly the position and movement of Nabil was good for the team. We needed to play wide and keep the ball and he was running and dribbling, so I think he gave us everything that we needed at that moment.

Journalist: Do you think it's possible he could make it into the starting XI from the off?

Normally he will be with the first-team and we will see. If he continues to play well then we will see. I like the competition for places because it is good for the team.

Journalist: Have you identified a particular area in the team in which you feel you are failing?

In the last few games a lot (laughs). We've analysed the games and we know the reasons why, so I think we now have a clear idea and will try to get back to the standard achieved against Rangers and Valerenga when we played well and scored four goals in each game.

Journalist: Do you think it is a little bit down to a change in tactics due to new players coming in?

Yes, we had to change a little bit to adjust to the new players. We will need time, we know this. But we've also had players away. It will be different now because we will have all the players available next weekend. It will be different.

Journalist: In terms of the midfield, how significant will it be to have Mascherano and Lucas back?

It will be important for us. As I said, at the weekend we will have all the squad back. I will have more selection problems but I will be really pleased.

Journalist: We've had glimpses of why you signed Andrea Dossena over the past few games. He can provide some very clever crosses can't he?

Yes, I think he will need time too. He is a player who is good going forward and the idea was to bring in a full-back who attacks well. He has quality and will need to settle down and get used to the Premier League but I think he can improve.

Journalist: Do you think he needs to work on the defensive side of his game, to ensure he doesn't leave spaces at the back?

Yes. He played in a line of five last year and needs to now come back and work in a line of four. He knows he needs to improve but I think he has also played in a line of four with Italy so in a few games he will be better.

Journalist: How much do you want to enjoy another good run in the Champions League?

For me, the main thing is to try and win every game and have this mentality. After that, if you start to win games in a row then you can think about all the competitions, the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup, the Carling Cup... I think that you are always under pressure from the start of the season. It's important to admit we have to improve we need to play well and if we do that and score goals and win games in a row, then we can talk about titles and trophies. But for me, at this moment the main thing is to improve our game.

Journalist: As you look to improve performances how do you approach it in training. Do you come down hard on the players or adopt a softer tact?

You don't need to push these players too hard. The other day they showed their commitment and the winning mentality we are looking for. If you are not playing well then you have to push a little bit but the mentality is good.

Journalist: Do you have any injury worries ahead of the match?

We have small problems and we will decide tomorrow about them.

Journalist: Will you play any of the players involved at the Olympics?

Babel can play but Mascherano and Lucas cannot play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina
    Carra
    Agger
    Dossena
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera
    Keane
    Torres

Obviously the formation/section is flawed by the fact it requires Babel and Riera to be busy in defence as well as attack!

On Dossena geting used to 4 at the back (though not in my team obviously), I think Masch can help him out filling space when he gets forward.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

mike65 wrote: »

Reina
    Carra
    Agger
    Dossena
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera
    Keane
    Torres

Obviously the formation/section is flawed by the fact it requires Babel and Riera to be busy in defence as well as attack!

Mike

Are you Ossie Ardiles in disguise?

malice_ wrote: »
    Draupnir decided he/she didn't like Tusky's comment and put a dig in about Liverpool which I responded to and which has since been edited so should probably just be forgotten about.

Oh.
    Coolio.

Reina
    Carra
    Agger
    Dossena
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera
    Keane
    Torres

Mike

If we were trying that I'd prefer ore of a...

Reina
    Carra
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Masch
    Alonso

Gerrard
    Babel
    Keane
    Riera
    Torres

Wouldn't fancy it though, TBH.
    No width at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Babel is generally crap if he starts a game, hes better coming off the bench no ?

(Still we've very little choice in the wide areas)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BABEL DOES NOT PLAY ON THE RIGHT!!!!!!!

Reina
    Carra
    Agger
    Dossena
    Masch
    Alonso
    Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera
    Keane
    Torres

Mike - I think that formation wins the 'worst formation the world has ever seen' prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Giggs isnt a RW but he could always do a job there so can Babel, and he played on the right for a while in the last game. we will have two forward line ups imo one for the big teams who are tryign to beat us of

Keane--Gerrard---Babel
    Torres

where we can exploit the space made from their midfield getting forward and actually attacking us rather than being more concerned about defending like Sunderland, Liege etc

and a second for teams trying to hang on for their point of

Kuyt(El Zahr?)--Gerrard--Riera
    Torres

Where we exploit the space on the wings from teams trying to crowd us out in the middle

BolBill wrote: »
    Babel is generally crap if he starts a game, hes better coming off the bench no ?

(Still we've very little choice in the wide areas)

this is where we need improvement from babel, if he still is like this by the end of the season it will be upsetting but i imagine we will see a change from him this season after getting a full Prem season under his belt.

Call me optomistic if ye want, but I really can see Babel doing well this season.

Call me optomistic if ye want, but I really can see Babel doing well this season.

and whats wrong with a bit of optimism? a few more people around here could do with it...

Call me optomistic if ye want

optomistic :pac: :p;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7584470.stm

Minister approves backs reds takeover bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Minister backs Reds takeover bid, he didn't approve anything

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    Minister backs Reds takeover bid, he didn't approve anything

Ooops, i meant backs...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mike - I think that formation wins the 'worst formation the world has ever seen' prize.

I'm thinking outside the box (possibly the box of reality)

Mike.

do you remember i pm'd you Mike? before i had access to this place?

those were the days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think Carra has the pace to play full-back tbh.

maybe but in the games played there he seemed to do fine last year.... and i'd imagine he will be eentually ousted by agger and skrtel in the center... just my opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Milner hands in a transfer request. Was linked with the pool earlier would you prefer Milner to Riera

slingerz wrote: »
    Milner hands in a transfer request. Was linked with the pool earlier would you prefer Milner to Riera

Milner = Right
    Riera = Left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Milner = Right
    Riera = Left

I'd prefer Downing to either but both are better than what we currently have if they realise their potential

Milner = Right
    Riera = Left

Cash strapped Liverpool cant afford both i'd say. And the fact Riera currently plays on the left should be taking as given. Kuyt was a striker when Benitez bought him. Now he doesnt know what he is

Cash strapped Liverpool cant afford both i'd say. And the fact Riera currently plays on the left should be taking as given. Kuyt was a striker when Benitez bought him. Now he doesnt know what he is

I think Liverpool could. The yanks didn't think Barry was worth £18m so they wouldn't give Rafa the money to fund that deal.
    Chances are Voronin/Pennant/Itandje and possibly Finnan are leaving Anfield, so there'll be a few more $$'s.

Perhaps Pennant plus £2M would swing the Milner deal?

I just hope to god we dont sign both.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement