Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i thinks its true, numerous sources saying the same thing.

Hopefully it means they'll have to sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lads, this is good news. The only reason G&H esp the latter was hanging in there was cos of this promise of revenue from the stadium - no stadium - no revenue to satisfy thier fiscal ambition and certainly nothing to pay the interest on thier debts.

I would expect some movement from DIC after the announcement (yep that has been said a few times but this time I'd be more hopefull)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I was starting to have real doubts about the stadium anyway. The costs have got ridiculous at this stage, and look at the crippling effect the debt is having on Arsenal.
    Unless DIC come in i can't see it.

redspider wrote: »

I wonder will Dossena get his role back? He was clearly dropped for last nights match. Rafa may put him back on for the Villa match.

He was hardly dropped. Aurelio was our first choice LB last season so it's not unreasonable to expect the two to be rotated.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

He was hardly dropped. Aurelio was our first choice LB last season so it's not unreasonable to expect the two to be rotated.

dossena looks well dodgy, can't believe we've paid 6M GBP for him. but in fairness the whole team is performing well below the level we should come to expect from a top side.

• Advertisement

Rotation? Shush! ;)

I have just read through the latest quarterly review by Laing O’Rourke (who have been contracted for the stadium) and it has no mention of Liverpool fc. Given its prestige and scale if it was on thier schedule they'd give it a strong preview.

Mike.

mru wrote: »
    dossena looks well dodgy, can't believe we've paid 6M GBP for him. but in fairness the whole team is performing well below the level we should come to expect from a top side.

i thought he was one of our best players against Boro. He's clearly far better running with the ball and beating players than Riise or Aurelio, he's showed that on a couple of occasions already. He has also passed the ball well. He just needs to get up to speed defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

mike65 wrote: »
    Rotation? Shush! ;)

I have just read through the latest quarterly review by Laing O’Rourke (who have been contracted for the stadium) and it has no mention of Liverpool fc. Given its prestige and scale if it was on thier schedule they'd give it a strong preview.

Mike.
    Coming to a screen near you - Mike65 P.I. :p

Does seem odd that it's not mentioned tough if there is even a remote prospect of it going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

i thought he was one of our best players against Boro. He's clearly far better running with the ball and beating players than Riise or Aurelio, he's showed that on a couple of occasions already. He has also passed the ball well. He just needs to get up to speed defensively

his passing is v poor - looks out of position routinely, riise was defensively v poor also, but what he lacked in defence he (sometimes) made up for in attack.

mru wrote: »
    his passing is v poor - looks out of position routinely, riise was defensively v poor also, but what he lacked in defence he (sometimes) made up for in attack.

Riise was awful in attack. Despite the handful of piledrivers he scored in his time here. Dossena has already convinced me, despite his inconsistent start, that he is at least twice the player Riise is or ever was.

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    Coming to a screen near you - Mike65 P.I. :p

Does seem odd that it's not mentioned tough if there is even a remote prospect of it going ahead.

I also checked the annual review - it is mentioned (preconstruction phase) but the whole thing is dealt with in a couple of sentences. The report was issued earlier in the year.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

wow i was looking at the match last night v standard, omg talk about heart in the mouth.it just wouldnt be the CL with out liverpool in it, im not going to be a critic here regarding team performance or team selection as that would be in bad taste being a man u fan.its just when am i going to get my childhood dream of a man u liverpool cl final. i dream about it as all my friends a 50/50 lfc man u , now that would be a night to remember.nearly got it last season , pesky chelski.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Riise was awful in attack. Despite the handful of piledrivers he scored in his time here. Dossena has already convinced me, despite his inconsistent start, that he is at least twice the player Riise is or ever was.

That's a brash statement to make, Dossena at least twice the player Riise is or ever was. Wow!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm twice the player Riise ever was.

And whoever said that Riise offered a lot to the team when we were attacking should be taken out and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Twice the player ? You mean Dossena has a right foot as well as a left one:P

First time being able to get a post in today.

God we were **** last night, worrying :( - let's hope it picks up before the big game on the 13th.

Bad news about the stadium Al but as Mike said it will hopefully force those ***** to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'm twice the player Riise ever was.

And whoever said that Riise offered a lot to the team when we were attacking should be taken out and shot.

Just don't let Riise do the shooting, he'll put it wide or over the bar.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

emc2 wrote: »
    Just don't let Riise do the shooting, he'll put it wide or over the bar.....

Or in the wrong goal....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This is the original post from RAOTL forums:
    Post subject: There will be NO new stadium
    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:43 am

Hardly a surprise I know, but expect an announcement from G&H within a week to the effect that any Nou Anfield is "on hold" (translates as "dead in the water").

So much for all the blerts out there with their "but they've started work on the stadium, I saw it on Sky Sports News ..."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

liverpool
    PSV
    Marseille
    Athletico Madrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tough group! Just knew we'd get atletico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Torres' old club. And Garcia better not pop up and score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Bit worried about Atletico madrid...should take PSV.......Marseille tricky tie. Could have been a lot worse though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Both Luis and Nando will be happy with that.

I can see a few tense moments coming up myself!

I see a handy stitch up myself ;)

Dispite being 4th seeds I reckon Atletico are the second team in terms of quality, so I think careful management can see both go through

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

darkskol wrote: »
    Bit worried about Atletico madrid...should take PSV.......Marseille tricky tie. Could have been a lot worse though!

I'm not sure it could have been MUCH worse to be fair. Marseille caused us problems last year. While we have generally gotten the better of PSV in our previous meets, there have been games in there where we struggled. And they traditionally will have some good athletes and technically gifted footballers and are a team used to winning more games than they lose.

As for Madrid. **** me, they are terrible value as a fourth seed. If we got out of Spain with a draw it would be a result - intimidating place to play and they will be able to knock it about and play.

Considering there was a Danish team; Cypriot team; Panatinaikos; a Belarussian side; two Romanian sides and Shaktar in the draw we could have done a lot better.

Obviously we should get through, but yet again we will face matches that will sap energy and focus right from the get go. Essentially, it chips away at our already minute chances of winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Diego Forlan might get a few tap in's again:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

liverpool and arsenal got tough enough groups.
    think we should get through if we have our heads screwed on tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

We should win all 3 at home, PSV away. Marseille away draw/lose, Atletico away draw. That should see us through. I know we lost to marseille at home last time don't forget we beat them away 4-0. If our form picks up we should easily qualify....in 1st well we will have to wait and see,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Not an easy group by any means. Hopefully there will be no long term injuries cos if there are we're in trouble.
    Some of those games are well testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Thats a tough group for Liverpool.

Rank Club Coefficent
    3 Liverpool FC (ENG) 118.996
    10 PSV Eindhoven (NED) 91.610
    17 Olympique de Marseille (FRA) 63.380
    27 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 36.837

Granted, we have had the measure of PSV the last couple of seasons and in a way they have shown us too much respect, so this season again they may do that. However, they may play the tie different and go for a win in Eindhoven a lot stronger than they have in the past, mainly due to the quality of the other two teams in the group and the threat that will pose to them.

Marseille can give us problems as we found out last season, and Atletico will be up for it and could affect Torres' game. Not an easy group so we will need to be on our guard, getting the wins at home if possible and sneaking an away win as well.

We should progress on paper, but there is a lot of football to be played. Rafa wont be pleased.

In terms of the stadium plans, I would guess that the Owners will have difficulty enough to re-finance their current debts never mind adding to it with the new stadium project. Given the current credit market conditions, with commercial property funding in many countries reduced to one fifth of what it was(!), getting funding for the stadium project wont be easy, and its not as if LFC Ltd is rolling in cash. An 'on-hold' announcemen would not surprise me.

The re-financing window will give DIC another opportunity to negotiate a buy-out. Once bought by DIC, if bought, they may give the LiverpoolShare scheme a partial ownership. No doubt all of this stuff will come back in the news as the re-financing window approaches, which is Feb I understand.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Excellent group IMO. The news about the stadium has made my day :). Hopefully we can rid ourselves of the two yanks now. By all accounts D.I.C have being expecting this announcment and have waited in the wings to take over at a reduced price now that Hicks and Gillete are up **** creek. Happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Would like to say R.I.P. crazyhorse....Gone but never forgotten he would have been 61 today and was my favorite Liverpool player as a boy. Always with a smile to brighten up the day. Thanks for everything Emlyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Does anyone else think the gerrard injury could be a blessing in disguise??
    i can see the team v aston villa be

Reina
    Arb--Carra---Skrtel--Dossena What has happened to agger??
    Masch

Alonso

Keane
    --Kuyt
    Babel--
    Torres

This could give robbie the chance to link up with torres and go back to the formation that worked so well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

tok9 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the gerrard injury could be a blessing in disguise??
    i can see the team v aston villa be

Reina
    Arb--Carra---Skrtel--Dossena What has happened to agger??
    Masch

Alonso

Keane
    --Kuyt
    Babel--
    Torres

This could give robbie the chance to link up with torres and go back to the formation that worked so well!!

I'm sure Agger was on the bench last night.
    On that formation, I'm sure that's what we'll see, since the Masch is back.
    Any more news on Riera, or any other form of winger coming in before Monday midnight? tic toc.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

I might be putting this in the wrong place but we Irish LFC fans are getting slagged off over sharelfc initaitive.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=99905

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    I might be putting this in the wrong place but we Irish LFC fans are getting slagged off over sharelfc initaitive.

It's irrelevant. You may do as you please with your money. Pleasing bitter Eircom league fans should be the very least of your concerns.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

5ForKeeps wrote: »

why go all the way over there when you can find the same biitterness on here without having to travel??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was just thinking about this whole CL draw and the importance of it.
    If you get a horrific draw first group stage, then it definitely has a big bearing on your league form, as you will have to rest some players before/after each game so given that your best team will be playing the CL ties it really is one of the most crucial days of the season. If you end up with one of the easier groups like Chelsea, you will have two to three games where you don't need your first eleven during the week which leaves you in a much stronger position for the weekends preceding and following your CL games.

I personally don't think that Liverpool will be in the running for the League this year, I think its a two horse race, but this group is so tough that it is very likely to have a negative bearing on the Pools league performances.

why go all the way over there when you can find the same biitterness on here without having to travel??
    :p

Some peeps are suckers for abuse.

4-2-3-1 it is for the season I'm sure. 4-4-2 was an expidency while the Olympians were away. That said it does still leave at least one expensive signing on the bench when everyone is fit.

Mike

• Advertisement

More signings to come ?
    Parry also revealed that he expects more transfer dealings at Liverpool before the close of the transfer window after the Gareth Barry saga was finally ended on Wednesday with the player staying at Aston Villa.

"Watch this space," Parry said of incoming transfers.

"The Gareth Barry transfer didn't happen, that's all there is to it. We've moved on. It was in the public eye, it's a very weird season if you got all your targets. I'd rather talk about Robbie Keane. There could be more to come."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4062341,00.html

Of course he could just have been referring to Reira

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

mike65 wrote: »
    :p

Some peeps are suckers for abuse.

4-2-3-1 it is for the season I'm sure. 4-4-2 was an expidency while the Olympians were away. That said it does still leave at least one expensive signing on the bench when everyone is fit.

Mike

Reina

-- Carragher
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Dossena ---

Mascherano
    Alonso

-- Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel

Torres

What expensive signing is on the bench there?

Cavallieri, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Lucas, Benayoun, Kuyt, N'Gog - Subs bench

Pennant, Degan, Aurelio, Finnan, Voronin, El Zhar, Nemeth, Pacheco, Insua, Spearing, Plessis, Itandje, Darby - Reserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

copacetic wrote: »
    Most of you dont travel to 'your' teams games either, at least you are consistant (ly Pathetic.) :)

zing wrote: »
    More signings to come ?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4062341,00.html

Of course he could just have been referring to Reira

Have to hope for more than Riera. I wont hold my breath though

slingerz,

Kuyt - 10 million is not cheap for us. Plus Riera on that line up - 8 milion, or Babel - 11 million if Riera plays.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I will lose all faith in Rafa if he buys two wide players for 8m each rather than one for 16m.

Word is out about the stadium then
    The troubled regime of Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr at Liverpool suffered another severe blow last night when it emerged that they are preparing to postpone construction of the club's new stadium because of difficulties raising the funds in an unforgiving financial market.

Hicks and Gillett had hoped that the building of a 60,000-capacity stadium on the site at Stanley Park, barely a quarter of a mile from the club's Anfield home, would start within weeks, dispelling some of the concerns about their ability to drive Liverpool forward. But their apparent failure to do so casts further doubt about their credibility as owners, increasing the pressure on them to sell to Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

The American tycoons will play down the significance of this latest setback, saying that the market conditions are not favourable for such large-scale borrowing, but, 18 months after they bought the club, pledging that building would start “within weeks”, it is another embarrassment that they could do without. According to one source, they were recently told by the Royal Bank of Scotland that they could borrow the money required for the £350million project on the condition that they could put up £200million in guarantees, but they have been unable to do so.

The Hicks-Gillett regime has appeared doomed since it emerged that they had invited Dubai International Capital (DIC), the private-equity investment arm of the Dubai Government, to buy a minority stake last October. Hicks blocked DIC's bid to buy the club for £400million earlier this year, but the Dubai interest remains, albeit now presented as a consortium headed by Sheikh Mohammed, rather than under the DIC banner. The Dubai consortium still expects Hicks and Gillett, whose relationship remains tense, to return to sell within months, aware that their most recent refinancing package is up for renewal in January, albeit with the option of a six-month extension.

As we suspected a few months back DIC appear to have just been facilitating this potential deal on behalf of the Sheikh.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4629692.ece

I'm sure other papers are running with similar stories

come on the sheikh get in there and lets see what you can do.

I for one am sceptical of Benitez's tactics and opinions. His lack of interest in quality wide players beggars belief. If only they could have snapped up Mourinho before he joined Inter

slingerz wrote: »
    If only they could have snapped up Mourinho before he joined Inter
    Regardless of whether or not Rafa is the right man for the job I don't think the club could have afforded to change manager this summer. Consider how much they spent over the summer Vs how much they'd have had to spend to compensate Rafa for the remainder of his contract, sign up a new manager (including sign on bonuses, etc..) and then give that manager a hefty xfer budget to overhaul the team to his requirements. Was just never going to happen this summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The new ground been on/off is or will be big news so I have started a new thread on it Here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement