Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,320 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Esse85 wrote: »
    If he's that good why were'nt any of the top teams in Spain interested or top teams in Europe for that matter?

Id say he'll be little better than average, but he'll fit in well with the likes of Benayoun, Babel, Pennant and Voronin, he'll have a lot in common with them.

who says they werent?

and benayoun is a decent squad player, ala park at united, babel has massive potential and has had a very good first season, pennant wasnt the best buy to be fair but will likely be moved on at small loss and voronin was free and its 3/4 choice

there are some many retarded posts in this thread now its not funny any more, people have decided the guy is crap because of a dodgy 6 month spell at a relegation threatened team.

dont remember the united fans moaning about how louis saha was a flop at newcastle before he excelled at fulham :mad:

Cos he's a world-beater now that he's joined Liverpool.

or becuase he is crap becuase he joined liverpool, that seems to be the thrust of the argument from all the ABL's in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

What, another player that pulls on the Red jersey, and doesn't get the respect he deserves.
    You're probably right there.
    No another over priced and over hyped player, Man City fans will tell you how good he was:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

well it's useless making judgements before he's even kicked a ball

Exactly. Looks like a done deal now, so theres little point in slating him or building him up before he's even takin to the field.

Give him 10 games and we'll see what we see. He probably wont have settled in totally by then but it should be enough time to see flashes of what he's capable, or not capable, of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mr Alan wrote: »
    wasnt he the best LW in Spain last season?:confused:

He looked worldclass when Espanyol were playing well in the first half of the season - but frankly was pants when they struggled after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

No another over priced and over hyped player, Man City fans will tell you how good he was:p

And Espanyol and Bordeaux fans will laugh in the Man City fans collective faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cyrus wrote: »
    or becuase he is crap becuase he joined liverpool, that seems to be the thrust of the argument from all the ABL's in here
    The really pathetic thing is that most of these "ABLs" actually profess to being Liverpool fans.

over priced and over hyped? God yeah, 8million was a serious rip off - a little more then Michael Chopra or kieran Richardson cost? no, we cant be having that! And i can hardly move for all the "Riera; the new Maradonna" stories that are in the papers daily! if anything he's up there with the most underhyped players around at the moment. 90% of the time the name 'Riera' is followed by 'flopped at city'.

how about instead of being ridiculous we act like rational human beings and see how it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Cyrus wrote: »
    there are some many retarded posts in this thread now its not funny any more, people have decided the guy is crap because of a dodgy 6 month spell at a relegation threatened team.

And people are saying he is great because of his 2 years at a club that finished 11th and 12th in them 2 years?

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    And people are saying he is great because of his 2 years at a club that finished 11th and 12th in them 2 years?

And him helping to drive Bordeaux to the UEFA Cup quater finals.

So he plays well for three years in two different clubs, and badly for 6 months on loan, so obviously it's the six months that mean more!

:rolleyes:

And nobody here is saying that he's great, we're saying some people should kop on assuming he's gonna be crap before he even plays a game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tell ya what kiddies read ~rebels~ post then leave.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

For pool fans - do you really think the 30M spent on wing and strikers this summer was wisely spent - I would have thought the ratio of 2:1 would have been better advised spent the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Vladimir Smicer helped us win the Champions League, was he a good player, no.
    He played well in one tournament, any time I have seen him he has not been impressive and that's the bases I have to go on. I will give him a chance obviously and pray that he does well but on an internet message board should we not discuss what we think of him and what he is gonna do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Interesting signing, at least signals that Rafa does think there is a problem on the wings to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He played well in one tournament, any time I have seen him he has not been impressive and that's the bases I have to go on. I will give him a chance obviously and pray that he does well but on an internet message board should we not discuss what we think of him and what he is gonna do.

Smicer not a good player? Lets keep some perspective here folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Smicer has a place in our hearts because of that game. It doesn't matter if he was good or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

kida wrote: »
    For pool fans - do you really think the 30M spent on wing and strikers this summer was wisely spent - I would have thought the ratio of 2:1 would have been better advised spent the other way around.

Ok, here's 30m, which players would you have bought?

Personally I think we've bought well, and only time can tell if it was worth it. I'm pleased with Ngog, Keane and Reira, and also Dossena at LB. Degen is a bit unknown but was signed as cover.

PHB wrote: »
    Interesting signing, at least signals that Rafa does think there is a problem on the wings to be fixed.

No.

Rafa got rid of two players from the left.
    Kewel/Riise.
    He then brought in two new players.
    Dossena/Riera.

Simple maths.

And Rafa has been saying that we need to sign a player for the left for two months now, it wasn't some secret or anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Smicer was an average inconsistent player.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »

The 'problem' is that Liverpool never really played or needed wingers until the change in formation (using attacking wide players in a 4-2-3-1)

19 championships and 5 european cups, and I'd struggle to name a genuine quality winger... Barnes, Macca maybe...

Rafa in recent seasons has tried to rectify the wide areas with Pennant, Babel and Yossi.

I think the Keane money was earmarked for a quality wide player, but when the chance came up, and using the Crouch money - it was a small outlay for a quality PL striker - so he went for it.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Smicer was an average inconsistent player.

2:53
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

zAbbo wrote: »
    19 championships and 5 european cups, and I'd struggle to name a genuine quality winger... Barnes, Macca maybe...

You've only won 18 championships?

I probably cheered as much as you did that night my friend, no doubting the quality of that goal.
    Doesn't change the fact how average he was thru' his Liverpool years :p

I probably cheered as much as you did that night my friend, no doubting the quality of that goal.
    Doesn't change the fact how average he was thru' his Liverpool years :p

Yea I know...god I really really want us to win something this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Us if we won the league under him!

Sorry thats just whats wrong with football nowadays. I wouldnt want to win the league or European cup with him at the helm.Victory at all costs No thanks very much. Other fans will disagree but for me i'd rather things done the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Can all the Liverpool fans slating the signing of Riera reply to this post with one word. Name the winger we should have signed instead.

Draupnir wrote: »
    You've only won 18 championships?

I was thinking ahead :)

well sure isnt it obvious

we should have signed ronaldo from united and robinho from real and probably kaka instead of keane

or it least thats the general sentiment :rolleyes:

podge018 wrote: »
    Can all the Liverpool fans slating the signing of Riera reply to this post with one word. Name the winger we should have signed instead.

A lot of people said Silva. Or Downing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Messi

• Advertisement

A lot of people said Silva. Or Downing.

For 8 million?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Silva would have cost at least 3 times wat Riera cost and signed a new 5 year deal at Valencia after the Euros.

And Downing probably about 2 times what he cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Downing is average in the Boro side, he's not a CL player.

Silva I've only seen in the euros and while there was glimpses of a good player, there was a lot of time he done nothing. Spain would have won the competition without him. How they can choose one over the other of Riera or Silva I don't know. The only plus Silva gets from is his age, 5 years younger than Riera, but a hell of a lot more expensive too.

For £8m? I dunno!!
    I'm not slating Reira, but I know sweet feck all about him.

I'd like Downing, but we're probably talkin' £14m?

For £8m? I dunno!!
    I'm not slating Reira, but I know sweet feck all about him.

I'd like Downing, but we're probably talkin' £14m?

at the very minimum, but most likely another few million on top.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    For 8 million?:D

Yea both of em, performance based.

We would have had to pay at least 18m for downing. Rafa cant afford overhyped average english players. IMO we have dodged a bullet not signing Milner,Downing or to a lesser extent Barry.

Statement from spirit of Shankly in response to todays announcement.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/Reds-Confirm-New-LFC-Stadium-Delay.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

has everyone/anyone joined up to the Union by the way?

Signed up online myself. It's only a tenner. Or 12 euro :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd have taken Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd have taken Milner.

Taken him out and shot him!!!:eek: ;)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd have taken Milner.

For half again what Riera cost?

Milner= £12,000,000
    Riera = £8,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For half again what Riera cost?

Milner= £12,000,000
    Riera = £8,000,000
    You just bought a player for 8 mill who failed to make it in the premiership with Man. City.

I think Milner is better value at 22 years of age and a proven premiership performer.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You just bought a player for 8 mill who failed to make it in the premiership with Man. City.

I think Milner is better value at 22 years of age and a proven premiership performer.

And how many European games has Milner played in?
    And how many has he scored?
    And how many International caps has he gotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

why is the fact that he played for City for a short period being regurgitated over and over? It's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dont know if Riera is any good or not, but I do that it is essential that we added width.

Even the introduction of El Zhar hugely improved our game when he has come on, and Riera hopefully offers more than him in terms of end product.

We'll give him time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I dont know if Riera is any good or not, but I do that it is essential that we added width.

Even the introduction of El Zhar hugely improved our game when he has come on, and Riera hopefully offers more than him in terms of end product.

We'll give him time!
    I fully agree that any player who can play wide is a good signing for Liverpool and badly needed.

I am not saying he won't turn out to be a fantastic buy either, my point is that James Milner at 12 mill and 22 years of age is a much safer option than Albert Riera at 26 who could not cut it in the PL two years ago. We all know he has improved since returning to Spain and a Spanish manager will make a big difference. I just don't agree with anyone saying that Milner at 12m is not worth it if you shell out 8m for this lad.

why is the fact that he played for City for a short period being regurgitated over and over? It's irrelevant.

now you can see why i snapped the other day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just for the record all reports I have read say the Figure for Milner was 10 million pounds and the Deal for Riera is meant to be 9 Million pounds, who is better? Only time will tell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement