Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    Yup, not a bad team.

Couple of points:

-I would have Skrtel in the team ahead of both Carra & Agger based on performances last season.
    Yeah, for me its 2 from 3 next year, cant really pick till I see how they're doing, and its very hard to drop carra.
    -I really hope Babel steps up to the plate and actually comes good. He didnt have an effect on enough games last year.
    Aye, fingers crossed he can put in some of his sub performances for the full 90. Thought he was really stepping up towards the end of last season though, like the awesome goal from the bench against chelsea.
    -The only weakness, and Its not really even a weakness, in that team is Arbeloa. Hes good without being great and I definitely think we should eventually improve on him. (obviously I cant comment on Dossena).
    Agree. thought Aurelio was our best full back last season, would have preferred that we spent the money on a RB and went with the cheaper LB for cover, since we also have Insua coming through there.
    In regards to the bench - It would be good to have another match winner on there, someone who can come on and change a game. Currently we have Kuyt, Benayoun, Voronin & Pennant. Definitely lacking a super sub.

All the same its not so bad, Yossi and Kuyt can both bring something from the bench. Another way we could go is for the first half season or so, start with torres, keane and kuyt or Yossi as the front 3 and Babel as the super sub. Nemeth might also be given that role since the 7 subs rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    Betting on first next major transfer suspended. Got in just in time. :)

Mike.

Damm I didnt :mad: - was going to throw €50 on it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

BREAKING NEWS

Elisha Scott : (Speaking about Keane) "Everything is done, fee, personal terms. He just needs to have his medical. Hopefully that will be today/tomorrow"

Thats as good as fact to me! w00t.

Yeh that is fantastic news...keane would be the signing of the summer IMO

By the way please forgive my ignorance when i ask who is Elisha Scott??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    By the way please forgive my ignorance when i ask who is Elisha Scott??

ITK source on internet forum, friend of Mr Gerrards, never wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Spurs poster who is also in the know has this to say -
    Something substantial is going on re buying forwards. The person I talk to is extremely excited but will not tell me who they are. He tells me it's a double swoop, from one country but 2 clubs.

Keane definitely going, for less than is being reported. Berbatov still on but not nearly done.

As I said last week, Blackburn are playing silly buggers over Bentley and this doesn't appear as close as some seem to suggest.

so looks like we are getting Keane for less than 20m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Spurs poster who is also in the know has this to say -

so looks like we are getting Keane for less than 20m.

It's looking very very good...

I have to say I think Keane will really add a lot to our attack. It's been said before but...

"always it is good to have options, no."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

less than reported? wasn't it £20m reported. £15m would be fantastic value. as earlier posted a front four of keane torres gerrard and bablel would have enough firpower to trouble EVERY defense in the league.
    As for the CB's, i think Hyypia will be challenging aswell although i know he's 4th choice but i still feel he offers such experience back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anything between £15,000,000 - £20,000,000 would be perfect.
    If we can get Keane - Tottenhams captain/vice captain, from a team trying to break the top 4, for less than £18,000,000 - then MON really is taking the piss!

I rate Barry a lot, but I rate Keane more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Very true, Keane is a quality proven premiership striker and anything less than 18m would
    be an exceptional price for the guy, his track record speaks for itself.
    Good point regarding Barrys price in comparison Karmafaerie

Saw a random rumour that the Keane price was £10m now, £5m in a year with £5m in add-ons. Definately wouldn't mind that if it was true :)

Presumably the add-ons would be based on appearances, goals, and winning things? Maybe something like appearances £1.5m goals £1.5m CL win £1m PL £1m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Saw a random rumour that the Keane price was £10m now, £5m in a year with £5m in add-ons. Definately wouldn't mind that if it was true :)

Presumably the add-ons would be based on appearances, goals, and winning things? Maybe something like appearances £1.5m goals £1.5m CL win £1m PL £1m.
    Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd be chuffed if Keane signed, I'm not a fan of him when playing for Ireland but his club record is excellent. He wouldn't need any adjustment time as he's very experienced in the PL so that's a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

10m for Keane, your having a laugh!
    Worth at least another 5-7m on top of that.

if we get Keane for less than 20million in this transfer climate, that is brilliant business from Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm does this count as a major transfer, I think we are breaking the rulz by talking about Keane here. :pac:

Mike.

Smegball wrote: »

This was just a rumour so it's not like its confirmed.

Just to clarify it was £10m cash now plus £5m cash next year plus £5m in add-ons. So £15m confirmed cash plus £5m in possible add-ons.=> Potentially worth £20m to Spurs. Sounds like a good deal - if he works out like I hope, will have no qualms paying the £5m in add-ons:)

Normal premiership transfers tend to be half the fee now plus half in a year's time - in this case it would have been £7.5m now and £7.5m next year. Looks like Spurs wanted more of the cash straight away and were probably willing to be lenient with the add-ons as a result.

According to some reports Keane was in Spain this morning at the Spurs training camp - probably currently on a flight to complete a medical to at Anfield tomorrow (most likely a formality in reality). Wonder if he would be offically announced tomorrow afternoon or would they fly him out to Switzerland to join up with the squad?

In terms of Rafa's dealings in the transfer market this summer if we do sign Keane for £15m plus add-ons, assuming we sell Carson for £4.5m and Itandje for £2m our net spend would be at or around the zero mark at the moment :eek:

Surely we can afford to splash out on a a quality wide player?

In terms of Rafa's dealings in the transfer market this summer if we do sign Keane for £15m plus add-ons, assuming we sell Carson for £4.5m and Itandje for £2m our net spend would be at or around the zero mark at the moment :eek:

If we did work out like this, with break even after buying keane, then id love to see a young winger come in with loads of potential. Getting a higher end one would lead to problems of players not being happy at not playing, but bringing in someone like Marko Marin who we've been linked with would be ideal. Happy to come off the bench, gives us a game changer and could also start in Babels position occasionally, leaving Babel to his super sub role.

In;
    Cavelieri
    Dossena
    Degen
    Keane
    Marin

would leave us very strong for next season, with a lot of options. Whether we had Barry or Alonso, we'd be fine - once we have one of the two.

;)
    Smegball wrote: »

He said 10 mill up front, 5 more over 12 months, rising by a possible 5 mill more.

That's a total of £15-20,000,000, not £10,000,000.

Edit: Ooops, beaten to it.

This was just a rumour so it's not like its confirmed.

Just to clarify it was £10m cash now plus £5m cash next year plus £5m in add-ons. So £15m confirmed cash plus £5m in possible add-ons.=> Potentially worth £20m to Spurs. Sounds like a good deal - if he works out like I hope, will have no qualms paying the £5m in add-ons:)

Normal premiership transfers tend to be half the fee now plus half in a year's time - in this case it would have been £7.5m now and £7.5m next year. Looks like Spurs wanted more of the cash straight away and were probably willing to be lenient with the add-ons as a result.

According to some reports Keane was in Spain this morning at the Spurs training camp - probably currently on a flight to complete a medical to at Anfield tomorrow (most likely a formality in reality). Wonder if he would be offically announced tomorrow afternoon or would they fly him out to Switzerland to join up with the squad?

Don't forget all the rumours about the big name player that's supposedly all but in the bag for weeks now.
    Remember Ballague saying that Rfa had a big, fan pleasing signing under wraps but already complete.

If Keane does come, then I can see at least two more signings coming.

One hopefully the big name, whomever it may be.

And a young promising winger, like Marin.

Not including the posibility of Barry still coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't forget all the rumours about the big name player that's supposedly all but in the bag for weeks now.
    Remember Ballague saying that Rfa had a big, fan pleasing signing under wraps but already complete.

It's probably Keane, tbh.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    It's probably Keane, tbh.

I wouldn't mnd if it was, but I'm not so sure.
    The rumour/hint came weeks before any mention of Keane, and all the insiders in the Keane thing, have been leaking info since day one on that.
    Remember, the Keane transfer started as part of the Crouch situation, and the secret signing was supposed to have been all but done, so I doubt that Crouch came into it.

Anyway, who knows, it could have all been rubish anyway!:p

On the wide players issue - a fair bit depends on the Leto situation and whether he gets his passport issues sorted, I'd say. Rafa obviously thinks pretty highly of him. With the Barry deal dead and Keane coming in I think it is much more likely that any other new player to arrive will be a left-sided attacker.

Currently on the left we have Babel, Benayoun and Leto(maybe) and maybe Keane (dire emergencies);on the right we have Kuyt, Pennant and Benayoun with Gerrard, Babel and Keane (dire emergencies). A lot more cover/options on the right than on the left, especially when you consider Babel's off to the Olympics. The only way I can see a right-sided player coming in is if Pennant leaves and we get an upgrade on him. Even if Pennant is sold you could argue than the right side would still be in a stronger position in terms of cover options (Kuyt, Benayoun, Keane, Gerrard, Babel) vs (Babel, Benayoun, Leto maybe)

Just thought of Voronin now :P - could do as emergency cover on the left and the right as well but I wouldnt really fancy him in either to be honest. He's not really a wide player. Still my main point is that our options on the right are currently better than our options on the left, even if Pennant were sold. So a left-sided player is the most likely next arrival.

The big question is who and how much. Unless we sell Pennant, the funds available to sign a wide-player would be equal to whatever transfer budget the Yanks made available/ Anyone any idea what Marin would cost? Also the whole Downing thing remains very quiet. Any possibility Rafa is waiting to see what happens with Leto before making a move for a left-sided player? :confused:

Probably if there is more money to spend a move for Downing would make more sense than Marin. If Leto does move on then maybe Marin but I don't know. There's also the Riera speculation. I could imagine a situation where Leto stays and we buy Downing. The big advantage Downing would have is that you would expect that there wouldn't be as much of a settling in period for him as compared to a player from a foreign league. Also Downing has a huge amount of experience in the league for a relatively young player. A situation where Babel and Downing alternate the left-side of the pitch with Leto as an understudy definitely has appeal.

Just out of interest I've listed left-sided players we've been linked with (to any degree) or who might well be on the move - Downing, Marin, Riera, Milner:eek:, Capel , Stephen Hunt, David Silva :cool:, Diego Buonanotte, Ibrahim Afellay.

Looking at those I'm liking the idea of Downing more and more. Wouldn't have been my first choice at the start of the summer but I can see him fitting into the squad in a number of ways. I wonder how much it would take to get him off Boro? I also can't understand why they wouldn't be interested in Carson and to a lesser extent Pennant but that's a whole different kettle of fish-soup :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    keane would be the signing of the summer IMO

Now now, let's not go overboard like Morientes and numerous ones before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hunty, obviously, would be a great signing for Liverpool. If they could afford him, and if he'd go there.

I wouldn't mnd if it was, but I'm not so sure.
    The rumour/hint came weeks before any mention of Keane, and all the insiders in the Keane thing, have been leaking info since day one on that.
    Remember, the Keane transfer started as part of the Crouch situation, and the secret signing was supposed to have been all but done, so I doubt that Crouch came into it.

Anyway, who knows, it could have all been rubish anyway!:p

I think it was Elisha Scott dropped a hint back in May that Liverpool were interested in Keane iirc. Apparently he was the player who spoke English but wasnt English. So it looks like Liverpool have been interested for a while.

I think it was Elisha Scott dropped a hint back in May that Liverpool were interested in Keane iirc. Apparently he was the player who spoke English but wasnt English. So it looks like Liverpool have been interested for a while.

I dunno, that particular link/hint was a long long time ago, and was generally accepted to be Degen (it was so long ago we hadn't even signed him yet) when we signed him a few weeks later. But i do think Keane has been in negotiations for a good while, and is probably the player Ballague was talking about when he said rafa was lining up another good player that would please the fans.

Yet another Hungarian kid joined up for the season!
    MTK must have some youth academy!
    Liverpool have sealed the signing of yet another young Hungarian.

17-year-old Zsolt Poloskei has penned a one-year loan move with a view to a permanent deal.

Poloskei arrives from MTK Budapest, the club Liverpool have a co-operation agreement with.

Poloskei becomes the fourth young Hungarian at Liverpool, joining compatriots Krisztian Nemeth, Andras Simon and Peter Gulacsi, all of whom also arrived from MTK.

"Liverpool officials have seen his performances a couple of times in the last two years and spoke highly of him so it was expected that he would get a contract," the midfielder's agent Tibor Pataky told the Hungarian press.

"He arrived at Liverpool with an injury but the club have been confident about their willingness to sign him, after some days Poloskei could begin training. Liverpool have the option to buy the player permanently after one year."
    Proud

Poloskei's father, Gabor, was a popular player in Hungary and is now the head coach of Hungarian first division team side Honved.

"I'm very proud and have quickly become a big Liverpool fan," he added.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3829147,00.html

The player who spoke English but wasnt English was Degen.

And a young promising winger, like Marin.

Not including the posibility of Barry still coming.

Ballague came out and said that the 'nice surprise' was Keane.

Des wrote: »
    Hunty, obviously, would be a great signing for Liverpool. If they could afford him, and if he'd go there.

Brilliant - comedy genius - Can you name one Championship player who would turn down an offer from a Big Four Club?:):)

Tbh I don't think there's much of a chance Rafa would be interested.

Out of interest how much would you expect him to cost given he is 27 in a few weeks and playing for Reading?

Perhaps Sunderland might be interested. Roy hasnt bought any Irish so far this transfer season has he?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

~Rebel~ wrote: »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3829147,00.html

What's the deal with all these lads comin' in from MTK?
    Do Liverpool have a deal/link with them or someit?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

DeadSkin wrote: »
    What's the deal with all these lads comin' in from MTK?
    Do Liverpool have a deal/link with them or someit?? :confused:

their our feeder club/affiliate type of deal

IBut i do think Keane has been in negotiations for a good while, and is probably the player Ballague was talking about when he said rafa was lining up another good player that would please the fans.
    Ballague came out and said that the 'nice surprise' was Keane.

Well if that's the case, I'm more than happy.:)

Liverpool have sealed the signing of yet another young Hungarian.

17-year-old Zsolt Poloskei has penned a one-year loan move with a view to a permanent deal.

etc...

I hope he makes it, just from his name alone!!!

Zsolt!!!

I can hear the songs already!!!:D

stolen from another forum......hmmmmmmm:confused:
    From .tv

"Steve Finnan has a problem with his thigh and he is back in Liverpool receiving treatment."

hmmm... arent the physio's in Switzerland then?

Did he really mean??:

"Steve Finnan is back in England having a look around Bodmoor Heath and the Villa facilities."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

na i think he's receiving treatment

would the people treating him not be with the rest of the sqaud?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

They'd have people based at home as well

ok so, i was just curious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

mirror says voronin is off for 3 mill,i know he's not great but that would leave us short of options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Goal.com reckons we're in for Eto'o - I doubt the yanks have the finances to compete with the mighty Uzbekistans though! :)

Pure speculation, no quotes or anything. Goal.com is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

According to Elisha Scott, so i've been told is a reliable source for all things Liverpool on the www.ynwa.tv web site has said the Keane deal is almost done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Oh wow really tell us more.

PiE wrote: »
    Oh wow really tell us more.

Close friend or relative to our captain so i've been told.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    According to Elisha Scott, so i've been told is a reliable source for all things Liverpool on the www.ynwa.tv web site has said the Keane deal is almost done.

We know this! Check back about 4 pages! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

raven136 wrote: »
    mirror says voronin is off for 3 mill,i know he's not great but that would leave us short of options

He's not really an option and 3m is a great price for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

raven136 wrote: »

That would be an unreal deal, also free's up the No.10 jersey for Robbie Keano (possibly etc.)

We know this! Check back about 4 pages! :)

Ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

voronin for £3m would be great business, i hope the Keane deal is wrapped up soon. we need to get a settled squad by the end July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd be very happy to keep Voronin, to be honest. I think he has shown a touch of class for us at times and is definitely capable of doing a job for us.

Keano will be our new number 7, Babel if Voronin did leave should be moved to number 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

while not ideal for the number 7 shirt he can be much worse than the last 2 people who occupied it. Both had fleeting glances that they were fit to wear it although not nearly often enough. If keane does move and if he gets the number 7 shirt then i'd be more than happy to give him time and see. Hopefully we'll hear something today or monday if E.Scott is indeed spot on. On Voronin being 4th choice I think personally that he had an okay season. 3M isnt going to get you a much better alternative especially if you include probable settling in time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement