Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Villain wrote: »
    Just for the record all reports I have read say the Figure for Milner was 10 million pounds and the Deal for Riera is meant to be 9 Million pounds, who is better? Only time will tell

lol at this post...

Can we not just let the bitterness from the while Barry affair go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

why is the fact that he played for City for a short period being regurgitated over and over? It's irrelevant.

coz he was utterly awful perhaps
    And how many European games has Milner played in?
    And how many has he scored?
    And how many International caps has he gotten?

1) 31
    2) 3
    3) 0

when we signed ashley young, the answers to those questions were:

1) 0
    2) 0
    3) 0

lol at this post...

Can we not just let the bitterness from the while Barry affair go?

what exactly was bitter about that post? there was a couple of million quid max in the difference which hes correct about. only time WILL tell, which hes correct about

im not entirely sure what gareth barry or bitterness has to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm simply pointing out that the figures been talked aren't what are reported, no bitterness at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LEAVE IT! ITS NOT WORTH IT DARREN!

etc.

Can we have a that private forum please?

Mike

• Advertisement

Mike you got a problem with my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So are we done with this now? If people want to continue the Milner vs. Reira discussion, start a new thread called Milner vs. Reira.

Not yours specificly Villain

I'm just tired of various parties sticking thier noses into this thread simply to cause annoyence.

Maybe I'm odd, but I do not bother much looking at other superthreads as other teams are frankly of little interest beyond being opposition at some point in the season. However it appears every other clubs fans cannot help themselves but post in here

I'd suggesting ignoring Boggles etc would be a good idea but there are enough Pool fans who don't have the self restaint required and so the usual suspects keep coming back.

Mike.

I was only pointing out the figures people were talking about were not as they are reported, if you want to check out people sticking their noses into team superthreads have a look at the Villa one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think you'll find it was a Liverpool fan who opened the discussion. If my remarks sound like they are trying to irate Liverpool fans, well they are not designed that way.
    I am often in this thread and in general its to discuss things but if its a problem when you just simply disagree with a number of posters who jump on one of your own because he speaks his mind, well then the question is whether or not you are capable of holding a fair and open discussion. End of Riera/Milner discussion for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

For everyone compaining about signing Riera instead of a "world class winger" ask yourselves exactly who fits into that category?

Ribery - Bayern only bought him and would never sell
    Schweinsteiger - don't rate him as world class personally and he would cost an absolute fortune
    Ronaldo - I'm afraid we missed the boat on that one
    Quaresma - Cost three times as much, failed in the spanish league were Riera has thrived and can't get in the portuguese team ahead of Simao who also hasn't hacked it in La Liga
    Messi - Ha
    Robben - No chance.

i for one am just glad to be spending 8m on Riera instead of 10 on Milner.
    He will have to severely flop not to vastly improve our team on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's the thing, there is imo a massive lack of quality in the market this summer, especially in attack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

PHB wrote: »
    That's the thing, there is imo a massive lack of quality in the market this summer, especially in attack.

Very true,how often does a good wide player become available without having to break the bank big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

eagle eye wrote: »
    You just bought a player for 8 mill who failed to make it in the premiership with Man. City.

I think Milner is better value at 22 years of age and a proven premiership performer.

So what. He was playing for Man City for what 18 months. For god's sake even Ronaldo looked crap for his first 2 years at Man U. I remember Man U fans saying he was rubbish etc.. after a Champions league game againest Milan a few years back. Anyway that's not a dig at Man U fans it's the same at every club. Even some of our own claimed Skrtel was a waste of money after one game last year. Time will tell as with every player.

Just for the record all reports I have read say the Figure for Milner was 10 million pounds and the Deal for Riera is meant to be 9 Million pounds, who is better? Only time will tell

well guess your right only time will tell.i'll put my money on Riera winning more silverware than Milner i can tell you that much

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Ha Ha Ha. I can taste the bitterness from here :pac:

how do you get bitterness out of that post?

seriously, youre the second person to say that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We'll give him time!

We will, but they won't

/me points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

im not sure of the need for any sort of comparison really, its not like it was an either/or decision. Milners a right winger, Riera is a left winger. Pool were looking for a left winger. I suppose there is a mild interest in who turns out better, but the same can be said for any 2 purchases of any 2 clubs this summer. This one in reality deserves no more attention then, say, Diouf V Andrew Johnson or Digard V Tainio.
    So what. He was playing for Man City for what 18 months.
    Far less, was only there from January till the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Riera got a very short stint at Man City being played, I believe, at RIGHT BACK during the Stuart Pearce, uh, "era":rolleyes:

In other words, he played for a crap club in the wrong position with crap players under a crap manager.

Crappola resulted.

Now, he's going to be on the left with a decent LB behind him and Torres, Babel, N'Gog and Keane to aim at.

PHB wrote: »
    So are we done with this now? If people want to continue the Milner vs. Reira discussion, start a new thread called Milner vs. Reira.

Milner is English. Villa are English. Martin O Neill is English in an Irish-kind of way. O'Neill, who couldn't build a decent set of piles if he set on damp concrete all day, has been building a brilliant English side, filled with brilliant English talent, in the brilliant and best English league, the Barclays-Sky-Sports-Setanta-Moneybags-Bungs-Away-Premiership league, and doesn't Georgie Thompson look fit behind that desk.

So he's obvioulsy better than Riera, cos he played under Stuart Pearce, and if Pearce, who was also English, couldn't get the best out of him, then nobody can.

Milner. British. Hovis. New World Symphony. 'AVVVVV ITTTT!!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Milner is English. Villa are English. Martin O Neill is English in an Irish-kind of way. O'Neill, who couldn't build a decent set of piles if he set on damp concrete all day, has been building a brilliant English side, filled with brilliant English talent, in the brilliant and best English league, the Barclays-Sky-Sports-Setanta-Moneybags-Bungs-Away-Premiership league, and doesn't Georgie Thompson look fit behind that desk.

So he's obvioulsy better than Riera, cos he played under Stuart Pearce, and if Pearce, who was also English, couldn't get the best out of him, then nobody can.

I'm seriously hoping you are flat out drinking a bottle of whiskey or something, cause you are writing some crazy ass sh't tonight!!!

So what. He was playing for Man City for what 18 months. For god's sake even Ronaldo looked crap for his first 2 years at Man U. I remember Man U fans saying he was rubbish etc.. after a Champions league game againest Milan a few years back. Anyway that's not a dig at Man U fans it's the same at every club. Even some of our own claimed Skrtel was a waste of money after one game last year. Time will tell as with every player.

Thats right. It was the Havant game. The chap wasn't even fit because ZsP were in the off season. Imagine if Zenit had him now....:eek:

Skrtel is an animal in the making. He has Teenage Mutant Skrtel Power.

ibh wrote: »
    I'm seriously hoping you are flat out drinking a bottle of whiskey or something, cause you are writing some crazy ass sh't tonight!!!

Thats just how I roll when I take the mickey out of the way "English" football is presented. They were at it again last night at the draw for the CL.

"oh, we are so strong".

Really? WHO THE F**K is "WE"??

Foreign owned, foreign managers, foreign staff, foreign players.

I dont know if Riera is any good or not, but I do that it is essential that we added width.

Even the introduction of El Zhar hugely improved our game when he has come on, and Riera hopefully offers more than him in terms of end product.

We'll give him time!

El Zhar has a great attitude, I will give him that. I like the way he says his prayer and then wipes his snot with the palms of both hands when he runs onto the field.

El Zhar has a great attitude, I will give him that. I like the way he says his prayer and then wipes his snot with the palms of both hands when he runs onto the field.

Ha Ha. Priceless stuff. You go girl :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

:eek::D

Legendary namesake whom Albert Riera can live up to
    Aug 30 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

IF and when the signing of Albert Riera is finally completed the Espanyol man will arrive at Anfield under the least pressure of any new Liverpool players in recent history.

If the Spaniard was a number 7 he would be constantly reminded of the brilliance of predecessors Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley, Kevin Keegan and Ian Callaghan.

But there is not much of a millstone to be hung around Riera's neck when you consider whose boots he will be filling on the left wing.

In no particular order, the players who have performed in that position since the days when John Barnes regularly made mugs of opposition right backs include (take a deep breath!) Harry Kewell, Bolo Zenden, John Arne Riise, Yossi Benayoun, Patrik Berger, Bruno Cheyrou, Ryan Babel, Bernard Diomede, Mark Gonzalez, Mark Kennedy, Sebastian Leto, and Mark Everton Walters.

Riera, therefore, has almost nothing to live up to and no pressure to worry about.

He can just get on with his game in the knowledge that should he do nothing more than get a steady stream of crosses in from the left flank he will be an improvement on what has gone before for the last 20 years.

But should the 26-year-old be looking for inspiration, he could do a lot worse than forget all about his predecessors and focus instead on his namesake.

Albert Stubbins was the last Albert to play for the Reds and in 180 games he scored 83 goals and was a key member of the League Championship side of 1946/47.

His popularity was so enduring that his picture ended up being used on the cover of the Beatles’ Sgt Peppers album.

And, like Riera, he chose Liverpool over Everton.

Should Riera go on to enjoy the kind of success that Liverpool's last Albert enjoyed, maybe the Kop will pay him the ultimate tribute by reviving the old A-L-B-E-R-T chant in his honour.

However, having endured so much dross on the left wing for the last two decades the Liverpool fans would no doubt settle for not having to shout "get the effin ball in the box, will you!"

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/30/legendary-namesake-whom-albert-riera-can-live-up-to-100252-21635392/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

why is the fact that he played for City for a short period being regurgitated over and over? It's irrelevant.

In fairness it's not irrelvant. For what I'm hopng we win (the league) it's the most relevant part of his career because it's the only time we've seen him in England. If every league was the same then it would be irrelevant, but they are not so it's the only comparison we have for how he might perform.

As for who we could have sined instead, the £8m for Riera is irrlevant. what players cot is not how we should judge who we should have signed.

Would £50m on Messi be a better signing than £8m on Riera? I'd say most would say yes, so the money isnt the answer to who we should have signed instead. If it took £20m to buy a much better player then so bet it.

Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness it's not irrelvant. For what I'm hopng we win (the league) it's the most relevant part of his career because it's the only time we've seen him in England. If every league was the same then it would be irrelevant, but they are not so it's the only comparison we have for how he might perform.

As for who we could have sined instead, the £8m for Riera is irrlevant. what players cot is not how we should judge who we should have signed.

Would £50m on Messi be a better signing than £8m on Riera? I'd say most would say yes, so the money isnt the answer to who we should have signed instead. If it took £20m to buy a much better player then so bet it.

What money?!!!

• Advertisement

Hey Alan.
    You making youtube videos again?!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vviun6U6VGU&feature=related

What money?!!!

I assume you mean what money to buy wingers? For a start it was a general response to the "who would you have signeds instead" after the "for the same £8m " was added rather than me saying we should have gone and spent 20m on any player as long as he falls into that price range. The fact that we were apparently ready to push on with signing Barry regardless of the Alonso deal shows that theres certain money still there for the right players.

Carling Cup - Crewe is a good draw. One win from 3 and the old Dario Gradi magic now upstairs.

I reckon Liverpool have a good chance for the cup, I guess Rafa will be mixing youth and experience until the business end of the run. If the first teamers who have fallen from favour are not sold then I could see the following as a typical League Cup squad

Diego Cavalieri
    David Martin
    Philipp Degen
    Martin Skrtel
    Sami Hyypia
    Steve Finnan
    Emiliano Insua
    Jack Hobbs
    Lucas Leiva
    Damien Plessis
    Nabil El Zhar
    Fabio Aurelio
    Jermaine Pennant
    Yossi Benayoun
    David Ngog
    Andriy Voronin
    Daniel Pacheco

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mike65 wrote: »
    Carling Cup - Crewe is a good draw. One win from 3 and the old Dario Gradi magic now upstairs.

I reckon Liverpool have a good chance for the cup, I guess Rafa will be mixing youth and experience until the business end of the run. If the first teamers who have fallen from favour are not sold then I could see the following as a typical League Cup squad

Diego Cavalieri
    David Martin
    Philipp Degen
    Martin Skrtel
    Sami Hyypia
    Steve Finnan
    Emiliano Insua
    Jack Hobbs
    Lucas Leiva
    Damien Plessis
    Nabil El Zhar
    Fabio Aurelio
    Jermaine Pennant
    Yossi Benayoun
    David Ngog
    Andriy Voronin
    Daniel Pacheco

Mike

Surely Nemeth is worth a punt? Or is he gone on loan somewhere?

Throw him in then! :) There's so much talent outside the Prem first team these days :eek:

Mike.

If I was Rafa I would have a real punt on the Carling Cup. Its always nice to pick up something and it stops people labelling him like they did Arsene Wenger when they say "ooooh he's not won ought in 3 years,oooooh":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If I was Rafa I would have a real punt on the Carling Cup. Its always nice to pick up something and it stops people labelling him like they did Arsene Wenger when they say "ooooh he's not won ought in 3 years,oooooh":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, what are people thinking. We should be happy to win something every 3-5 years and not try get above our station. We are a small club who shouldnt have delussions of grandeur.

Well its been 2 and a half years since the FA Cup.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not yours specificly Villain

I'm just tired of various parties sticking thier noses into this thread simply to cause annoyence.

Maybe I'm odd, but I do not bother much looking at other superthreads as other teams are frankly of little interest beyond being opposition at some point in the season. However it appears every other clubs fans cannot help themselves but post in here

I'd suggesting ignoring Boggles etc would be a good idea but there are enough Pool fans who don't have the self restaint required and so the usual suspects keep coming back.

Mike.

Mike, this thread is not:

- a place where only Liverpool fans may post;
    - a place where only positive opinions or slants on the current state and situation of Liverpool FC may be entertained;

And the same applies to the other superthreads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mike, this thread is not:

- a place where only Liverpool fans may post;
    - a place where only positive opinions or slants on the current state and situation of Liverpool FC may be entertained;

And the same applies to the other superthreads.

Agreed, but I assume Mike is referring to a very small minority who come to take the piss and never contribute anything positive (positive not meaning pro-pool, just a positive contribution to a discussion) to the thread. Most ignore them and it isn't a big deal but when someone rises to the bait and you end up with 3 or 4 pages of argument thats going no where it is tiresome.

Quite so. Its peeps whos only aim is to be niggardly and pointlessly provocative I have issues with.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Quite so. Its peeps whos only aim is to be niggardly and pointlessly provocative I have issues with.

Mike.

Yeap...Problem is there seems to be a few posters on here who just come into the thread to cause arguements. Dont see the point really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ok, that is fair enough. And I automatically know who you are talking about too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

same reason anybody does it in any thread, you will deal with that constantly in such a tribal climate as football disussion

ignore who you want to ignore, but peoples opinions will regularly differ and as long as someone isnt blatantly going out of their way to cause an arguement it can be good to get a different point of view on things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

kryogen wrote: »
    same reason anybody does it in any thread, you will deal with that constantly in such a tribal climate as football disussion

ignore who you want to ignore, but peoples opinions will regularly differ and as long as someone isnt blatantly going out of their way to cause an arguement it can be good to get a different point of view on things

Yeh and that's no problem, the problem is the **** stirrers who come in here to cause trouble and don't really want a debate but to get people banned. For example look at the 4/5 people who came in and posted how crap riera is and how he was sh!t at city and then haven't been seen again, trolling of the highest order IMHO and the just say enough to piss us off while not breaking the rules.

Yeah, what are people thinking. We should be happy to win something every 3-5 years and not try get above our station. We are a small club who shouldnt have delussions of grandeur.

Jaysus.....they are out there alright.

What I was saying, seeing as it needs to be spelled out, is that a trophy here and there is always a handy stick to beat your critics with while you are waiting for something else to come along.

Look at Wenger, great manager, great architect, being criticised by numpties because "he hasn't won anything for 3 years".

Get this: Shankly won 3 Leagues, 2 FA Cups, One UEFA Cup.

In 14-15 years.

1959-1974.

So, on average, Shankly was winning a trophy only ever 2-3 years.

The muppets that run TV today would have had Shankly fired too.

What I am saying, again, is that a little bit of Silverware gets you a bit of breathing space.

Arsenal threatened and threatened and threatend from May 2006 to May 2008 to win the lot.

Ultimately, the won....nothing.

Nothing is less than nothing.

As Celtic fans in 2003, and Rangers fans in 2008.

Yeh and that's no problem, the problem is the **** stirrers who come in here to cause trouble and don't really want a debate but to get people banned. For example look at the 4/5 people who came in and posted how crap riera is and how he was sh!t at city and then haven't been seen again, trolling of the highest order IMHO and the just say enough to piss us off while not breaking the rules.

The problem is BP, that most people can't think for themselves. They have been conditioned to follow the herd.

Most of them couldn't even remember who was MANAGER at Eastlands when Riera was there.

Mike.

Racist.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:D

I assume you mean what money to buy wingers? For a start it was a general response to the "who would you have signeds instead" after the "for the same £8m " was added rather than me saying we should have gone and spent 20m on any player as long as he falls into that price range. The fact that we were apparently ready to push on with signing Barry regardless of the Alonso deal shows that theres certain money still there for the right players.

Anybody who thinks that Barry was coming, without Alonso leaving, is being more than a bit naive.

And as was very publically noted at the time, the money earmarked for the Barry purchase was a short term loan.
    Not club funds, as there was none.
    It wasn't a case of here's £18,000,000 Rafa.
    It ws we can get you £18,000,000 but you'll have to sell a few players, or your kidneys to get us the money straight back.

Well you're right about some of us having delusions anyway.:rolleyes:

Expand on the "deluded" bit????

A trophy is a trophy. Its a domestic title, and its worth a crack.

It gets a lot of positive attention.

Its a day out at Wembley, where we should be going as much as possible.

Jaysus.....they are out there alright.

What I was saying, seeing as it needs to be spelled out, is that a trophy here and there is always a handy stick to beat your critics with while you are waiting for something else to come along.

Look at Wenger, great manager, great architect, being criticised by numpties because "he hasn't won anything for 3 years".

Get this: Shankly won 3 Leagues, 2 FA Cups, One UEFA Cup.

In 14-15 years.

1959-1974.

So, on average, Shankly was winning a trophy only ever 2-3 years.

The muppets that run TV today would have had Shankly fired too.

What I am saying, again, is that a little bit of Silverware gets you a bit of breathing space.

Arsenal threatened and threatened and threatend from May 2006 to May 2008 to win the lot.

Ultimately, the won....nothing.

Nothing is less than nothing.

As Celtic fans in 2003, and Rangers fans in 2008.

Look at Ferguson.
    Didn't win a thing in his first 6 years at Utd!
    But he built a squad, and now he's one of the most succesful managers of all time.
    Rafa has won two trophies, and challenged for three others (league cup final in 05, CL final in 07, CL semi final in 08), in his first 4 years, all while building
    a squad that is almost ready to challenge for the league.

But the Sky Sports generation want everything now.
    Depressing really.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement