Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The reason that the Riera deal got delayed is because Espanyol want Finnan as part of the deal and the clubs had to negotiate his value.
    From Balague website:

Liverpool: Riera delay over Finnan talks

Deadline day: update

The deal taking Albert Riera from Espanyol to Liverpool has been agreed, however the transfer has not yet been completely finalised - and many readers have been contacting us asking for an explanation.

The delay in completion has been caused by Espanyol 's desire for Steve Finnan to be included in the deal: the Barcelona club are looking for a replacement for Zabaleta, who is on his way to Manchester City.

There is currently a disagreement over Liverpool's evaluation of the Republic of Ireland full back and, clearly, the player will also have to agree to the move and a wage package with Espanyol.

The Riera deal is not dependent upon Finnan joining Espanyol - it simply explains the current delay in the transfer being confirmed - and the signing should still be completed before the transfer window closes at midnight this evening (Monday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Aren't we supposed to have signed some other gimp on a freebie also?? i never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

pesireland wrote: »
    Aren't we supposed to have signed some other gimp on a freebie also?? i never heard of him.

gimp???? Just cos you never heard of him.
    Didn't cost us a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭The Rooster

DeadSkin wrote: »
    gimp???? Just cos you never heard of him.
    Didn't cost us a penny.
    "gimp" in this case, I would guess, being someone going straight into the reserves squad rather than the first team squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its covered on the previous page.

Vitor Flora is a 19 year old striker from Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas who are doing well in series A

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bringing in youth talent on the cheap that could come good is an important part of any long term plan to keep us competing at the highest levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Bringing in youth talent on the cheap that could come good is an important part of any long term plan to keep us competing at the highest levels.

Don't try and introduce logic into the discussion.
    It confuses them.

"gimp" in this case, I would guess, being someone going straight into the reserves squad rather than the first team squad.

No by gimp i meant another waste of space :D, who knows he could turn out good, i was just expecting someone for now not 2-3 years down the line, cause rafa might not be around then if he don't bring home silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No by gimp i meant another waste of space :D, who knows he could turn out good, i was just expecting someone for now not 2-3 years down the line, cause rafa might not be around then if he don't bring home silverware.

ah yes how dare Rafa take up space within the reserve squad with talented young brazilians! Boo Rafa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I guess not Rooster :)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ah yes how dare Rafa take up space within the reserve squad with talented young brazilians! Boo Rafa!

I have no problem with rafa signing young talented players, all im saying is will rafa still be there to watch his young rose bloom, or his this kid ready for the 1st team.

Rafa knows he is running out of time and when i heard there could be another new face before the deadline i was expecting a 1st team player to help push players for positions.:)

I have no problem with rafa signing young talented players, all im saying is will rafa still be there to watch his young rose bloom, or his this kid ready for the 1st team.

Rafa knows he is running out of time and when i heard there could be another new face before the deadline i was expecting a 1st team player to help push players for positions.:)

Maybe Rafa is talking about someone else.
    Who knows.

Maybe Rafa is talking about someone else.
    Who knows.

Huntaaler ?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Huntaaler ?? :eek:

hope not. I love Huntelaar, but we dont need another striker so much as another top class winger. If we had enough money to buy huntelaar id prefer it be spent elsewhere. in particular on his teammate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

With what's happening over at Man City, it's even more imperative we get the yanks out. We're gonna be left miles behind

Xabi Alonso to stay at Liverpool FC
    Sep 1 2008 Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL manager Rafael Benitez is anticipating that Xabi Alonso will remain a Liverpool player.

But his joy may be tempered if the news regarding Fernando Torres’ hamstring injury is not encouraging.

The Spanish star pulled up suddenly during the first half of the Reds’ goalless draw at Aston Villa yesterday and was having a scan today to determine the extent of the damage.

Benitez said: “I think that Alonso will be staying.

“But as regards Torres we will have to wait and see how serious the injury is.

“He will have a scan today. Clearly when you lose Steven Gerrard and then you lose Torres, it is always a problem.

“The only positive news is to have an international break now. At least they will have time to recover and we will see.

“It will be 10-15 days and Gerrard can maybe lose only one game. Torres could be more or less the same. It will be important to lose them for one game but not the worst situation.”

Benitez also laughed off the abuse he received from Villa fans who perceived him as the villain in the on-off bid to sign midfielder Gareth Barry.

He said: “I was watching the TV one day and it was said the most difficult accent is the Birmingham accent so I couldn’t understand anything they were saying to me!”

“In the first half both teams had more or less same opportunities and in the second half I thought we started well,” Benitez said.

“In the last 15 minutes they were pushing quite a lot. It was a game that we could have won and so could they.

“It is not that we should have finished quicker. I think you have to give credit to the defenders.”

Villa manager Martin O’Neill was pleased with Barry’s performance as he faced the Reds for the first time since the collapse of his transfer to Anfield.

O’Neill said: “Gareth did very well. He has had a lot to cope with in recent weeks with all the speculation.

“Three weeks ago I would have imagined he would be playing against us.

“It wasn’t to be and we are pretty pleased and relieved that he is with us for the foreseeable future.”

O’Neill is now hoping Villa can be a test for all the leading sides as they bid to break into the top four.

He said: “We drew at Liverpool last season 2-2 in a thrilling game when conceding late on.

“We took four points off Chelsea and we led until the 93rd minute at Arsenal.”

.[/Story]

monkey9 wrote: »
    With what's happening over at Man City, it's even more imperative we the yanks out. We're gonna be left miles behind

"Its raining Men" Opps i mean't money :D over at city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I wouldn't flatter yourself by assuming that you having never heard of him before has any significance.

As for you calling him a gimp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

BBC wrote:
    1548: Liverpool sign their second 18-year-old of the day - Hungarian goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi. He spent last season on-loan in the reserves at Anfield and joins from MTK Hungaria.

:rolleyes: Another fuppin kid..... This is doing my head in :mad:

• Advertisement

Man these are miserable deals that could have been done anytime in the last 3 months, c'mon Rafa where the beef?

According to Marca Finnan has signed for Espanyol.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭The Rooster

flanzer wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Another fuppin kid..... This is doing my head in :mad:

If the reserves are going to retain the league, strength in depth is required.

We're goina be near fookin unstoppable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

As a diehard pool fan i obviously would be delighted for the reserves to win, but i couldn't give a fcuk where they finish if it means any first team improvement instead.

Exactly, Ablett can't rest on his laurels. Strengthen when you're at the top!!

Ablett in Rafa out!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Someone said it up above and its clear that Liverpool need to get the finger out today and buy at least one more decent wide player. If Bertabov signs for City then the pool are going to be in a battle to remain in the top four. While they have the class in the centre of midfield and at the back, they seriously need an option of width. Up front I think you are fine also, I personallly like the look of n'gog yesterday, you also have Babel and Kuyt and of course Keane. I don't know anything about Nemeth but he is apparently very talented so I don't see a reason to buy another forward. Wide players and as many decent ones as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Liverpool don't need wide players! They have Keane, Kuyt and Babel (and soon Riera) for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Reports say the finnan to Espanyol deal is complete....(SportingLife = source).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

emc2 wrote: »
    Reports say the finnan to Espanyol deal is complete....(SportingLife = source).

Further confirmation from the BBC website
    1612: HOLA ESPANYOL
    Liverpool full-back Steve Finnan has signed for Spanish side Espanyol on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee. We have yet to hear that Albert Riera has completed his move.

The two young lads, Finnan out, Riera in (surely) - someones been busy today

• Advertisement

What is it with Irish full-backs moving to Spain in the autumn of their career?! Maybe the weather...

Barcalona or Stoke/Hull/reserves? Hmmmm!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

1612: HOLA ESPANYOL
    Liverpool full-back Steve Finnan has signed for Spanish side Espanyol on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee. We have yet to hear that Albert Riera has completed his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Voronin gone to Hertha Berlin in a season long loan. Just sell him ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Liverpool don't need wide players! They have Keane, Kuyt and Babel (and soon Riera) for that!
    Rofl, wind up merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

By my reckoning Liverpool's net spend is around the £14m as per below

A lot of this is on best guess estimates (i.e the £1.5m for Finnan is my best guess as nothing has been disclosed.)

This also doesnt include the youth/reserve players

Degen 0.00
    Dossena -6.80
    Cavalieri -3.00
    Ngog -1.50
    Keane -18.00
    Riera -8.00
    Kewell 0.00
    Riise 4.00
    LeTallec 1.00
    Crouch 11.00
    Guthrie 2.50
    Carson 3.25
    Finnan 1.50

Net of £14.05

Pennant (4), Itandje (1.5) could well be flogged before the day is over.

Voronin looks to be ont loan deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

flanzer wrote: »
    Voronin gone to Hertha Berlin in a season long loan. Just sell him ffs
    I doubt there were many cash offers.

Hopefully this means Nemeth gets more chances from the bench.

and Pennant will probably go for around 6 I'd say.

PiE wrote: »
    I doubt there were many cash offers.

Hopefully this means Nemeth gets more chances from the bench.

I think Hertha were offering £2m, but in the end Liverpool just had to give them a million to take him of our hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sad to see Finnan go, he's been a great servant for the club. Best of luck to him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think Hertha were offering £2m, but in the end Liverpool just had to give them a million to take him of our hands!

I heard they offered a bag of seedless grapes and a packet of chocolate hob nobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

according to the BBC transfer chat they have 2 lads signed for us today, the Brazilian and another, who is the second guy, couldnt see it in the text?

1548: Liverpool sign their second 18-year-old of the day - Hungarian goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi. He spent last season on-loan in the reserves at Anfield and joins from MTK Hungaria.

prendy wrote: »
    according to the BBC transfer chat they have 2 lads signed for us today, the Brazilian and another, who is the second guy, couldnt see it in the text?

Hungarian goalkeeper, already on loan in the reserves last season. Permanent signing now!

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I heard they offered a bag of seedless grapes and a packet of chocolate hob nobs.

I heard that Liverpool fans respected their players.

Oh...wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So is the Riera deal done yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Torres to be out for 2 or 3 weeks
    Liverpool have today confirmed Fernando Torres suffered a hamstring tear during the Reds' goalless draw at Aston Villa on Sunday.
    The Liverpool striker limped off during the first half of the match and has been forced to withdraw from the Spanish squad for their forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Bosnia and Armenia.

"A scan this afternoon has confirmed a hamstring tear in Fernando's right leg. He is expected to be out for between two and three weeks," said a club spokesman.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161136080901-1658.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Hungarian goalkeeper, already on loan in the reserves last season. Permanent signing now!

cheers lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

zing wrote: »

So a risk for the United game? Torres and Keane out would be pretty tough.

1 down - just need to get rid of Pennant and Itandje now. Although I suppose someone would need to find Itandje first as he's been mia for a while now

PHB wrote: »
    So a risk for the United game? Torres and Keane out would be pretty tough.

Keane's out now as well then ? I presume you mean Gerrard

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement