Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Benitez is more important to our footballing future than anything else riht now

I think the stadium and lots more cash are more important, as in the long run if Benitez is starved of this then hes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

slingerz wrote: »
    Please god let this be true and DIC will back Liverpool in a way akin to the Abu Dhabui Investment Group have done for Man City. A new stadium, Gareth Barry and someone like Sergio Aguero would be nice!!

Even if DIC come, they've given no indication that they would go nuts like Chelsea or City. Just that they would run the business properly, invest in transfers stadium etc, and make a profit. Which is by far better than what you have currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »
    Even if DIC come, they've given no indication that they would go nuts like Chelsea or City. Just that they would run the business properly, invest in transfers stadium etc, and make a profit. Which is by far better than what you have currently.

id take that in a second. Owners who run the business in a professional manner, get the long term future of the club secure with the stadium and provide reasonable funds for strengthening, would suit me down to the ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

PMSL :D
    Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher's book reveals how Sven-Goran Eriksson offered dating advice to England's players when he said: "There's no need to have girls in the team hotel. If you see someone you like, just get her phone number and arrange to go to her house after the game. Then we will have no problems."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I wonder what Carra book is gonna be like?

I dont particularily like when footballers write autobiographys when they are still playing the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I dont particularily like when footballers write autobiographys when they are still playing the game

Agreed. I would prefer to see it after he retires with no follw on books about his life Part 2..

Best contribution Joey Barton made to this life was his quote about England players and their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Apparently SAF is his hero, and he compares him to a scottish scouser :confused:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hobart wrote: »
    Apparently SAF is his hero, and he compares him to a scottish scouser :confused:?

Here are his quotes about the demented one:

"Managerial ambition? - To knock Sir Alex Ferguson off his f****** perch".

"It's like the ultimate football man's dream to be better than Ferguson because he is the master.

"I just hope he hangs around long enough to wait for me."

"I've got more respect for Ferguson than anyone else in the game. He's like a Scouser, really.

"He's funny, doesn't mind telling people to f*** off, and he even votes Labour. I love him."

I don't think Jamie would make a politician, given his quotes about foreigners! - albeit probably just saying what many people think:

"There's definitely too many foreigners in the game. What's the point of spending all this money on the academies if we're not pushing local kids through? Liverpool FC is our club. It's a big part of our city and you've got to give young Scousers with aspirations the chance to succeed.

"It's not just football. I've got two brothers who find it hard to work in Liverpool in this Capital of Culture year. One of the reasons is we've made it too easy for foreigners to come here and take the jobs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I'd say Carra's book will be very 'honest' or at least a lot more so than most. Also would have preferred to see it after he'd retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Carragher saying England is not his top priority is nothing new, but I fully expect the "respected journalists" on Sky Sports on a Sunday morning to be spluttering over their tea to lambast Carragher. Clowns.

For anyone not aware of the Sunday Supplement and the caliber of journalists they have on, they tore into Liverpool for choosing Gerrard's surgery recuperation to coincide with the two England games. I'm sorry I must have forgotten that Liverpool pay his wages.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Flamin' journos!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

speaking of which a few of them are jumping on the potential takeover claiming a new offer of up to 500m quid. For now I think I'll only go with what TB & Ollie Kay have to say on the matter and even then nothing is guaranteed until it's signed & sealed - not like last time round.

when this was doing the rounds the last time, the americans were due to make a 50m profit.

better not happen.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Flamin' journos!!!! :pac:

I know I know I'm an angry man.:D It's not easy listening to Sam Wallace, Brian Woolnough, Patrick Barclay, Joe Lovejoy and Rob Beasley for a full hour. Too much garbage at the same time to comprehend.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

03/09/2008 - 09:07:00

Jamie Carragher has revealed that an England defeat “never hurt me in the same way as losing with my club.”

The Liverpool defender retired from international football in July last year after complaining he was constantly being overlooked as a central defender for the national team.

The 30-year-old won 34 caps, the last of which saw him miss a penalty as England went out of the 2006 World Cup against Portugal in a shootout.

However, Carragher has now revealed: “I would rather miss for England than LFC.”

Carragher wrote in ’Carra, My Autobiography’, serialised in the Daily Mirror: “Representing your country is the ultimate honour, especially in the World Cup. Not to me.

“Did I care we’d gone out of the tournament? Of course I did. Passionately.

“I’ve never given less than 100% in any game.

“Despite this, whenever I returned home from disappointing England experiences one unshakeable, overriding thought pushed itself to the forefront of my mind, no matter how much the rest of the nation mourned.

“’At least it wasn’t Liverpool,’ I’d repeat to myself, over and over.

“The text messages of consolation I received on the coach included one from Kenny Dalglish.

“’I would rather miss for England than LFC,’ I wrote back.

“I confess: defeats wearing an England shirt never hurt me in the same way as losing with my club.

“I wasn’t caring or indifferent, I simply didn’t put England’s fortunes at the top of my priority list.

“Losing felt like a disappointment rather than a calamity.

“I was never in love with playing for England in the first place.

“By the time I stopped I felt a huge weight lifting.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair play to Carragher for coming out and saying that.

I'd say there are far, far more footballers who feel the same about international football than we think.

All this talk of "pride in wearing the shirt of your country" is bolloxology anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

heres more
    Eriksson took the blame when we lost to Portugal in the World Cup, but for a while the investigation even focused on me. Eriksson's assistant Tord Grip highlighted my penalty miss as a chief factor in our demise.

When asked why I was one of those involved in the shootout, he explained that I took one really well in the Champions League Final.

I've watched our penalty shoot-out win in Istanbul a thousand times since 2005 and I still can't recall taking a penalty.

It's frightening to think England's assistant manager could be so ill-informed.

he also calls the England fans clueless supposedly :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yes its a nice honest piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On a different note the new Reserve season kicked off last night with a 1-0 win, Georgie Brewer header.

Mike

• Advertisement

from the bbc;

Carraghers book also reveals Sven also once said
    "There's no need to have girls in the team hotel. If you see someone you like, just get her phone number and arrange to go to her house after the game. Then we will have no problems."

Sven you aul dog

Mr Alan wrote: »
    from the bbc;

Sven you aul dog

What I would have given to have been in that room to hear Sven say that.:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Good to read from the excerpts that he's taking his coaching badges. Whether he ever becomes manager or not it would be great to see him stay on at the club when he finishes playing.
    He can coach all the imports how to speak with a scouse accent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Classic Carragher. His quotes about England sum him up to me. He say's what others think but dont have the balls to come out and say. He is the polar opposite of the Beckhams and Owens of this world.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Classic Carragher. His quotes about England sum him up to me. He say's what others think but dont have the balls to come out and say. He is the polar opposite of the Beckhams and Owens of this world.

To be fair to Owen he's one of the best professionals around. He never acts petulantly on the pitch, even when he was younger and defenders were roughing him up he just got up and got on with it. He is rarely in the papers for anything other than football and he never whinges. I hate the way he left Liverpool, but I respect him as a player and a person for the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch.

from the bbc;

"There's no need to have girls in the team hotel. If you see someone you like, just get her phone number and arrange to go to her house after the game. Then we will have no problems."

Sven you aul dog

Ahem *cough*
    Nice to know when you're being ignored ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    To be fair to Owen he's one of the best professionals around. He never acts petulantly on the pitch, even when he was younger and defenders were roughing him up he just got up and got on with it. He is rarely in the papers for anything other than football and he never whinges. I hate the way he left Liverpool, but I respect him as a player and a person for the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch.

I meant in their attitude to England. Beckham and Owen have always used the clubs they play for as a training session for the England team. If you asked Carragher would he rather win the League with the reds or a world cup with England i think we all know his answer. Carragher is one of a dying bread in football. He loves his club and isnt in it for the money like the Ronaldos,Lampards,Gerrards,Rooneys etc..of the game

Carra is the Steve Bull of the 21st century!

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Carra is the Steve Bull of the 21st century!

Mike

Yea, in terms of eye for goal!!!

BTW, i don't know why really. Was Bull a bit of a straightalker?? Played for England while in Div 2 though didn't he??

gixerfixer wrote: »
    I meant in their attitude to England. Beckham and Owen have always used the clubs they play for as a training session for the England team. If you asked Carragher would he rather win the League with the reds or a world cup with England i think we all know his answer. Carragher is one of a dying bread in football. He loves his club and isnt in it for the money like the Ronaldos,Lampards,Gerrards,Rooneys etc..of the game

And that I cannot disagree with. I could never see Carragher saying that "he has to think things over" like Gerrard and Owen have said in the past. Carragher cannot see beyond Liverpool and he's a red through and through, and I love the guy for that.

About Owen and England, I think even though he says that he feels he has nothing to prove, I believe that Owen is eager to impress. He see's performing well for England as a "stamp of approval" of his quaity. Some players are just like that.

I'd say Carragher's book will be a great read, even the pieces in the Mirror over the past two days have been really interesting. I'll defo be getting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sky Sports News reporting that Man City put in a 50m pound bid for Torres on the final day of the transfer window.

p.s - we had a NET Spend of 16m this summer...less than Sunderland :(

heres more

Eriksson took the blame when we lost to Portugal in the World Cup, but for a while the investigation even focused on me. Eriksson's assistant Tord Grip highlighted my penalty miss as a chief factor in our demise.

When asked why I was one of those involved in the shootout, he explained that I took one really well in the Champions League Final.

I've watched our penalty shoot-out win in Istanbul a thousand times since 2005 and I still can't recall taking a penalty.

It's frightening to think England's assistant manager could be so ill-informed.

he also calls the England fans clueless supposedly :D

I'd say Grip was getting confused with the Worthington Cup final in 2001 in the penalty shoot-out in which Carragher scored a cracker

Tusky wrote: »
    Sky Sports News reporting that Man City put in a 50m pound bid for Torres on the final day of the transfer window.

p.s - we had a NET Spend of 16m this summer...less than Sunderland :(

Yeah, they want Torres, Fabregas, Ronaldo etc......fantasy football!!

Jimmy Rice 03 September 2008

Rafa Benitez is backing his side to shift through the gears during what is set to be a crucial month in the club's season.

The Anfield boss knows the Reds have not totally convinced in their opening five matches despite an unbeaten run which has taken them to joint top of the league.

But with massive games against Manchester United and Everton looming in the next month, not to mention the start of our Champions League campaign, Benitez expects his side to start reaching full potential.

"Javier Mascherano, Lucas and Babel arrived late and I am sure that in a few weeks' time it will be better," the gaffer told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"We need to have better possession and work on having a higher tempo."

Liverpool's last outing brought a credible point at Villa Park without Steven Gerrard and, for the most part, Fernando Torres.

Benitez added: "Getting a draw without them showed the quality in the squad – but it could have been better.

"Having watched the videos, I thought we could have won. We had four chances – Alonso, Kuyt, Ngog and Keane. They had two and some set-pieces. So, the point was good but it could have been better.

"We changed the system to play 4-3-3 and give Xabi Alonso freedom, then when he was being pressed we changed to 4-2-3-1. People said, 'Oh, Robbie Keane wasn't playing well on the left.' But we had to think about winning the game, not just one player."

Gerrard is currently recovering from a groin operation due to keep him out 10-15 days.

On the skipper's race to face United on September 13, Benitez said: "Steven is okay. He's started with bicycle work and will start jogging, so I think he will be ready soon."

Meanwhile, the Liverpool boss is backing Daniel Agger to rise to the challenge of extra competition at centre-back.

The Dane has been absent from the starting XI since the first leg of our Champions League qualifier in Liege.

Benitez said: "Martin Skrtel is a good centre-back, Jamie Carragher is very consistent and Sami Hyypia is a good option also, so Daniel needs to work hard if he wants to play and he knows that.

"We want two players for each position but Daniel has a very good mentality and he will be ready."

ibh wrote: »
    Yea, in terms of eye for goal!!!

BTW, i don't know why really. Was Bull a bit of a straightalker?? Played for England while in Div 2 though didn't he??

Steve Bull stayed at Wolves for 13 years and scored 306 goals, he scored 4 for England in a 12-15 month period. Wolves were in 3rd division (ie League 1)! A few more Bullys and a few less mercenaries is what football needs.

Mike.

Meanwhile, Amanda Staveley, who is leading Dubai’s bid to buy Liverpool today said: “the Liverpool situation is ongoing”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

New thread on it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055370064

Lets leave this for other stuff.

PHB wrote: »
    New thread on it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055370064

Lets leave this for other stuff.

I think creating a new thread just encourages more of the usual sh'te on here between ManU and Pool fans.
    More likely to fade away in here.

Just my opinion.
    It seems like just about anything can turn into a Pool v Utd thread.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Amanda Staveley, who is leading Dubai’s bid to buy Liverpool today said: “the Liverpool situation is ongoing”.

This on the other hand is excellent news. And shes kinda hot too.

Amanda%2BStaveley.jpg

Been mooted to be the next chief executive since she became involved. Beats the hell out of Rick!

Nyom!

Amanda+Staveley.jpg

• Advertisement

Nyom!

Amanda+Staveley.jpg

Sultry!

We all dream of a team of Amandas! :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Beats the hell out of Rick!

Rick would just enjoy it!:p

Anyway lads, it's not as if she's a super model or anything!

staveley-amanda-514.jpg

Power is sexy and hot and kinky...

Ballague wrote:
    Many have questioned Albert Riera's abilities following his previous stint in English football at Manchester City. However, it would be wrong to judge him on his short spell at Eastlands: he was not given the opportunity to play in his natural, attacking, position, and spent his time there being used as a wing back.
    I've had hundreds of e-mails and comments from Liverpool fans asking for my opinion of Riera - and please keep your questions and comments coming in:
    Dave, from Liverpool, asks: 'Our new signing, Albert Riera. I know very little about him, and have heard very mixed reports. The price seems decent and Rafa seems happy, but there's a few question marks:
    What kind of player is he?
    Is he Liverpool standard?
    What's the best position to play him in?
    Will he settle in Liverpool and make the left side berth his own?
    Others have expressed some concerns: Victor. P in London said: 'Liverpool have just bought Albert Riera, do you feel he has the mental strength to become a success at Liverpool, because he strikes me as a very in and out player and I heard Graham Hunter say he has grave doubts that Riera is the player that will give us the incisive thrust that we are looking for, hinting that he falls short of the top class signing the club should have made.'

Well guys, let me start by saying that, when he is on form, Albert Riera can be one of the best left wingers in Europe. I'd even go as far as saying that, on his best days, he is the best left winger in Europe. I do realise that this is quite a claim and I must stress that this is only something that we will see when he is on form, playing in an attacking wide position, confident and happy.
    Unfortunately, that form can suffer: Riera is someone who can struggle with consistency, he will constantly need an arm around his shoulders and be made to feel important if any manager wants to get the best out of him. He started last term at Espanyol in fabulous form, but without receiving that kind of attention, his form can dip dramatically, as it did over the second half of the season. He's even been known to put on some excess weight if his confidence suffers or he loses focus.
    To avoid that happening, and to get the very best out of him, he therefore needs to feel that he is a key player and cannot spend to long keeping the bench warm. Thankfully, I don't think that will happen at Liverpool: as someone close to the manager told me, 'If anyone is going straight in to the side, it's Riera - we simply don't have a better option for the left wing.'

Riera has a powerful shot that is particularly effective from outside the box, he is a strong header of the ball and he is capable of taking on and beating defenders: in spite of not being the quickest around.
    If there is one criticism of his play, it is that he often spends too long on the ball. His natural position is as a winger in a 4-2-3-1 formation and, if he does end up playing in a 4-4-2, then Rafa will need to be constantly on top of him to remind him of his defensive responsibilities: Albert isn't particularly fond of tracking back.
    However, the Liverpool coach knows all about him - his strengths and his weaknesses - and will be fully prepared to get the best out of him, I'm sure. And, as Riera told me when he signed, he has joined Liverpool because he wants to 'learn to be a better player under Rafa Benitez.'

In my opinion, the signs are there that - under the right conditions - Albert Riera will turn out to be very good acquisition for Liverpool.

i have a good feeling about this player, he has no pressure on him at all, not big money, no big reputation, no big boots to fill

It's the idea that he wants Rafa and the coachs to improve him as a player that appeals to me.
    If true, that's always a good sign.

Not very Kewel-esque for instance!

If he needs an arm round the shoulder however he's fupped (calling Sammy Lee).

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    If he needs an arm round the shoulder however he's fupped (calling Sammy Lee).

Mike

Sure, wee Sammy will only be able to give him an arm around the knee!!!

• Advertisement

interesting new development from Liverpool fans in the ongoing war against G+H
    Liverpool FC fans: We'll boycott Royal Bank of Scotland over Tom Hicks and George Gillett

LIVERPOOL fans are threatening to boycott the Royal Bank of Scotland unless they stop providing financial support to club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Spirit of Shankly fans group wants RBS to deny Hicks and Gillett access to any further finance as they step up their campaign to remove the hugely unpopular duo from the club.

Last January, the Americans were able to secure a £350m refinancing package with RBS and US investment bank Wachovia, a move which saddled Liverpool with annual interest payments of £30m.

With that deal due to expire in January, Spirit of Shankly are calling on RBS to think of their responsibilities to the club and its fans before sanctioning any further borrowing by Hicks and Gillett, particularly if they come looking for money to finance their stalled new stadium plans.

Should RBS continue to finance Hicks and Gillett, then Spirit of Shankly say they are are ready to begin a campaign of disruption against the bank.

It could even go as far as urging all Liverpool supporters to close any accounts they have with them.

In a statement released to the ECHO, a spokesman for Spirit of Shankly said: “We would encourage Royal Bank of Scotland to withdraw any future financial support for Tom Hicks and George Gillett, in their attempt to burden Liverpool Football Club with more debt.

“Should the owners come back asking again for money to finance the stadium we ask them to refuse, as it goes against the wishes of the vast majority of Liverpool fans.

“We would also urge Royal Bank of Scotland to reconsider its position with regards to the current loan they have with George Gillett and Tom Hicks. This is due for re-financing in early 2009, and we know that Royal Bank of Scotland has the final say on the re-financing.

“We ask them to refuse the American owners’ request, on behalf of all Liverpool fans.”A meeting to discuss plans to target RBS is to be held at the Liverpool Supporters' Club on Lower Breck Road at 1pm on Saturday.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/09/03/liverpool-fc-fans-we-ll-boycott-royal-bank-of-scotland-over-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-100252-21665483/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement