Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats the sort of nonsense that makes fans look like idiots. RBS is huge (9.9 billion profits), they wonldn't miss the money of LFC fans.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats the sort of nonsense that makes fans look like idiots. RBS is huge (9.9 billion profits), they wonldn't miss the money of LFC fans.

Mike

exactly what i was thinking reading it. if they as a business can make more than the 30m a year they currently do on the loan they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mike

absolutely, but at the same time, bad publicity is bad publicity. The more important point (rather then the threat of pool fans pulling their accounts) for me was the plea to not allow G+H to run up more debts. Things like this have a habit of growing legs
    "clubs fans plea to bank to stop assisting owners in running club into the ground"

As it is RBS would be wary enough to refinance, given that G+H have shown absolutely no ability or intention to pay off any debts so far, and have guaranteed that more loans will be needed if the stadium is to ever be built, so something like this and the public perception that they're doing the fans of a big club a service, might make it easier for them to say 'no'. Its the safer option for them financially anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed. Boycotting sponsors though isn't a bad idea.

I agree with your second paragraph my own judgement would be to deny them a new line of credit, but banks are not too worried about looking bad in the eyes of a clubs fans.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

At least it keeps the whole thing in the news, let the yanks know that the fans opinions haven't changed and we still want them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Am I the only one who's begining to think this SOS thing is starting to look like a Scientology group!

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for the ideas, but this whole, get G & H at any cost policy isn't exactly the best face for the club.

And I know that most members are completely reasonable, but at the same time, I'm sure the guys who sent death threats were probably members too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree Mike, not sure wat sort of an effect it would have. but the negative publicity it would bring RBS might make a decision easier if they are 50/50 on whether or not to provide more finance. also, just trying to make things as difficult as possible for G&H is a good thing.

also, as for the big business thing, i would have imagined that Carlsberg would have run with their S*n promotion despite the unions feelings, and they obviously didnt-i'd say SOS can make like very difficult for people if they want :)

also worth noting though that TB has jumped the gun a little, there is no plans to boycott RBS, its just one of many ideas the Union has, they are going to discuss them at the SOS meeting this weekend.
    SOS wrote:
    “We would encourage Royal Bank of Scotland to withdraw any future financial support for Tom Hicks and George Gillett, in their attempt to burden Liverpool Football Club with more debt.

“Should the owners come back asking again for money to finance the stadium we ask them to refuse, as it goes against the wishes of the vast majority of Liverpool fans.

“We would also urge Royal Bank of Scotland to reconsider its position with regards to the current loan they have with George Gillett and Tom Hicks. This is due for re-financing in early 2009, and we know that Royal Bank of Scotland has the final say on the re-financing.

“We ask them to refuse the American owners’ request, on behalf of all Liverpool fans.”

Am I the only one who's begining to think this SOS thing is starting to look like a Scientology group!

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for the ideas, but this whole, get G & H at any cost policy isn't exactly the best face for the club.

And I know that most members are completely reasonable, but at the same time, I'm sure the guys who sent death threats were probably members too.

death threats :rolleyes:

SOS are very open with their intentions and ideas, if you agree with them, you should join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Just reading a few pieces on Man City's new owners ADUG, I wasn't aware themselves and DIC are supposed to be huge rivals. Try to outdo each other at all levels.

Could this really push DIC for a Liverpool takeover, if so, it would make for very interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

had to laugh tonight when i seen the skysports report on this Dubai group that bought city, they dwarf Chelsea haha, 550 billion thats a bottomless pit if you ask me.

Thing is though is this trend gonna run the english game?.

How on earth did we end up with the 2 muppets we have in charge, Damn You Parry!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Just reading a few pieces on Man City's new owners ADUG, I wasn't aware themselves and DIC are supposed to be huge rivals. Try to outdo each other at all levels.

Could this really push DIC for a Liverpool takeover, if so, it would make for very interesting times ahead.

progress is progress, but i would prefer if their motives were more local then continuing on a rivalry that started thousands of miles away. Crazy the way things are going that 2 massive clubs in England could just be used as puppets or pawns in an Arabic confrontation!

DIC were looking Man City before the ADUG posse came in.
    "DIC was actually looking at Man City, and then the Abu Dhabi people came in," explains Bhoyrul. "Apparently they were told by Man City that they couldn't deal with them at first as they were already dealing with someone from Dubai! But that changed when they explained they were from Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi is competing with Dubai to be a global player. There is a huge rivalry between the two.

.........and the lovely Amanda Staveley was involved with the ADUG City takeover.
    Amanda Staveley, one of Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai's closest confidantes and senior partner at financial advisory firm PCP Capital Partners, is the woman at the heart of the deal that will see the Blues change hands for more than £200m.

cant see that being true tbh

this is from the other day when there was talk of it, seems to be crossed wires!people confusing arabs!

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/08/25/anfield-our-only-target-says-dic-64375-21598023/

also when there was talk of them buying a stake in Newcastle, they came out within the last couple of months and said it wasnt true, as if they did PL rules would stop them buying Liverpool which still remains their goal.

a fan emailed Oliver Kay who wrote the article about the DIC deal being very much back on the cards....basically telling him he was talking ****e and to stop, that its been the same for nearly a year, but no takeover has materialised. This was Kays response.....
    Oliver Kay wrote:

Robbie

Thanks for your e-mail. I detected a note of frustration in what you wrote and I can understand that. Almost a year after the Dubai link resurfaced, you are clearly looking for hard evidence that something has changed, rather than a reporter simply saying that things are (or appear to be) changing. I understand why you may feel that you are reading the same old things over and again and that nothing ever changes.

BUT ... things are changing. I have it on very good authority (or authorities) that Hicks and Gillett are reaching or, in one case, have reached the point where they know they can't take LFC forward. I know that their financial positions are increasingly parlous, I know that they are coming under growing pressure from the banks and I also now know that they are genuinely unnerved by developments at Manchester City, which is something I merely hinted at yesterday.

Am I in a position to say exactly how this will play out? No. Am I able to say what their next move will be? No. Am I willing to name my sources? Absolutely not, sorry. The Arabs haven't spoken for months; it is not their style. We haven't heard a peep out of the Americans for months, but, significantly, we did not even get the usual and expected Hicks denial today. As for Staveley, she does not talk to the media -- or so I thought until I heard that she had been on BBC radio last night confirming that talks are ongoing etc and that Dubai remain interested "at the right price".

I really can understand you becoming cynical about this takeover saga, particularly after things happened so quickly at Manchester City, but everything I am hearing on this points to Hicks and Gillett reaching breaking point in the coming months (before that January 25 deadline) and selling to Dubai. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope I've answered most of your questions and allayed your suspicions that I was merely fantasising ...

All the best -- and fingers crossed it will get sorted out quickly because, believe me, I'm as sick of this as you are"

Robbie aka Mr Alan ;) :pac:

Well thats good enough for me, Kay has never struck me as a BS merchant and its true Hicks did not deny anything this time (usually he is very quick to issue a statement).

Mike

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fair dues to him for taking the time to reply to fans who wrote to him. I'm sure he sent the same to a lot of people but all the same..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

IrishKop raised €2100 for the Anne Williams Fund with the "Lowest unique bid" draw for the two Liverpool V Man Utd tickets.The winning bid was 40cents and a girl on Irishkop won them.

Every cent donated will go to the fund.There will be nothing taken out for any charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Olivier Kay knows no more about the yank situation than any of us - he's just able to articulate it better. We all know that a few months ago one of them was open to a sale but the other wasn't. None of us (including Kay and his makeyuppey confidential sources) know how they feel now, but logically you would think they would be more likely to sell given the credit crunch and what's happened at City.

The slightly worrying thing for those looking for Dubai to come in and throw money around willy-nilly was Amanda Staveley's comments that Dubai are still interested "at the right price". The lower the price Dubai might offer, the more likely the yanks would be to try and hold on and ride out the storm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Isnt Oliver Kay Shankslegend on RAWK. Thought i read that somewhere before.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The slightly worrying thing for those looking for Dubai to come in and throw money around willy-nilly was Amanda Staveley's comments that Dubai are still interested "at the right price". The lower the price Dubai might offer, the more likely the yanks would be to try and hold on and ride out the storm

Maybe, but it is not like DIC are idiots. They aren't going to go around saying they will buy whatever the cost, not exactly a good negotiating tactic. They know H+G are split and are busy looking down the back of the couch for change.

They appear to have offered a fair price to me, H+G are looking for a big profit from doing feck all which DIC aren't willing to give them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Not bothered about them throwing money around. All I'd like to see is them taking ownership in a responsible manner and investing in the club, particulary the stadium to give Liverpool a sound financial basis for the future.
    While getting bags of cash from wealthy owners seems great, a club making a profit some of which is plowed back into the team and facilities just seems more stable.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Isnt Oliver Kay Shankslegend on RAWK. Thought i read that somewhere before.

Thats the rumour, I imagine Shanks has deined it!

Mike.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    death threats :rolleyes:

SOS are very open with their intentions and ideas, if you agree with them, you should join.

As I said Alan, SOS weren't the ones sending threats, but there were - quite publically I may add - death threats and a hell of a lot of personal abbuse send to both G & H.

I'm all for the ideals, but as I said, I don't believe in a "win at all costs" mentality.

Jamie Carragher has revealed how Rafa Benitez wanted the aggressive defender to be his enforcer both on and off the pitch.

Shortly after taking over at Liverpool, Benitez handed the centre-half a DVDs of Arrigo Sacchi's legendary AC Milan side of the 1980s and asked him to analyse Franco Baresi's movements and organisation of the defence.

The Spaniard also wanted Carragher to inject some toughness into his team-mates - by any means necessary.

After a defeat at Birmingham, Benitez pulled Carragher in after training and told him a story from his Valencia days.

'When members of the squad didn't show the right attitude in the match, the Argentinian players would start a fight in the showers with the team-mates who weren't doing their job,' he said. 'I looked at the manager to make sure it wasn't a joke and could see a glint in his eye. "He's dropping me a hint here" I thought.

"I don't think that's me," I said politely, informing Rafa that verbal rather than physical tormenting of underperforming colleagues was more my scene.

'But it was comforting to know he trusted me enough to give me his blessing to take a swing at some of the players he didn't like.'

In his new autobiography, serialised in The Mirror, Carragher says Benitez's defensive wisdom impressed him most.

'It was a step up from what I'd enjoyed before. Gerard Houllier guided me towards becoming a top-class Premier League player, but Benitez has been the greatest overall influence on Jamie Carragher the defender.

'He's brought the best out of me, transformed me into a centre-half of European pedigree. I've played the finest football of my career under Rafa. Every training session has included advice on how I can improve my game.'

When I first joined Liverpool as a kid, it wasn't long before Kenny Dalglish knew who I was thanks to my dad Philly.

Kenny's son Paul was playing for Crosby and he was on the touchline. It was 1-0 to Crosby when we were gifted a penalty. Kenny wasn't impressed and had a pop at the ref. "Keep your f***** mouth shut, Dalglish," my dad said. "You should know all about dodgy penalties after the amount you get at Anfield."

Scout Tom Saunders had to keep them apart. My position at Liverpool could have been precarious if Kenny had been insulted but he and my dad have laughed about it since.

Eh, monkey9, the stoopid thread is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think there should be a blanket ban on any football autobiography.

Its tearing the Soccer thread apart
    crying_child.jpg

• Advertisement

Eh, monkey9, the stoopid thread is that way
    >

Why, are you heading over??

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why, are you heading over??

Might do. Must collect my glasses first tho' ;)

Might do. Must collect my glasses first tho' ;)

True, some of your quotes have been fairly blind over there!;)

:p

True, some of your quotes have been fairly blind over there!;)

:p

HeHe!!!
    You and me both Karma ;)

crying_child.jpg

honest to god, that kid is the spit of me when i was that age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    honest to god, that kid is the spit of me when i was that age

I doubt you've aged much in 2 years ;)

• Advertisement

From club website
    Albert Riera today vowed to prove his worth at Anfield and insisted fans shouldn't judge him on his last spell in English football with Manchester City.
    On the day Rafael Benitez unveiled his deadline day signing to the media at Melwood, Riera insisted his game has developed during the three years he has since spent in Spain - and now he can't wait to make an impact on Merseyside.

"That was a different moment," reflected Riera. "I went to Manchester City in January and we were playing for a place in the middle of the table.

"I was 22 but now I have three years more experience and this is very important in football. Since then I have played in a UEFA Cup final and I have played for the national team.

"I am now more prepared to play for a big club like Liverpool and I also know the Premier League.

"I think I am better now. I have made good progress and I want to continue this progress here.

Liverpool beat off competition from rival clubs - including Everton - to land the 26-year old, but Riera insists Anfield was the only destination he was interested in moving to.

"I am happy to be here," he added. "This is the first day with my team-mates. I wanted to come here because of the history, the Champions League, Anfield, the supporters and my team-mates. This is the perfect club for me.

"Espanyol had other offers, not just from Everton, but I told them I wanted to go to Liverpool.

"The most important thing for any player is to go out there to try and win every game. We want to try and fight to win everything, the Champions League, the Premier League and the two cups. These are the things I want."

Competition for the top prizes could have increased following the takeover at Riera's former club on deadline day, but Riera insists everyone at Anfield should just concentrate on their own performances rather than cast an eye down the M62.

"I know what has happened at City but the most important thing for me now is Liverpool," he said.

"They are one team we need to be careful of but we need to look at ourselves. If we do good things we do not need to think about other teams."
    Rafael Benitez today confirmed both Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are back in light training at Melwood.
    With both players facing a race against time to be fit for next weekend's Premier League clash with Manchester United, the manager has revealed they are each "ten to twelve days" away from a return to competitive action.

Torres is battling to overcome a hamstring tear sustained against Aston Villa at the weekend while Gerrard is recovering from a minor groin operation.

"Both players are now back jogging and will be out for ten to twelve days," said Benitez.

"Gerrard might be back before Torres but you never know."
    I think we'll see them both start ;)

Don't want him rushing back Torres though. Those hamstring injuries are extremely dodgy

Aye, but if he's fit he must start.
    Winning these games, are what folk are saying, are the difference between challenging for the league and not being within a shout come Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Torres will have to be rotated this season. He is worked very hard in our system and he had a busy summer too unlike last season. I'd like to see if Babel can fill his boots for a game or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

oobydooby wrote: »
    Torres will have to be rotated this season. He is worked very hard in our system and he had a busy summer too unlike last season. I'd like to see if Babel can fill his boots for a game or two.

Agreed. To be honest, the pressure will have to be taken off of both Gerard and Torres this season. Our dependence, while inevitable with players of this quality, is extremley dangerous. My greatest fear isn't the fact that both could be injured. My concern is that the other players are unable to think for themselves and become too dependent on them for direction, whether they are present or not.

In my opinion, this is why Rafa paid the money that he did for Keane. The signing doesn't make sense when you consider that we obviously need to dramatically improve what is available to us out wide but it does make sense when you consider him as an alternative to both Gerard and Torres. The fact that he was Spurs captain and is the currently Irish captain is no coincidence either.

It will allow either player to be rested without having a dramatic effect on the quality of the team.

• Advertisement

Morning rags
    Liverpool star Yossi Benayoun rejected an enormous £3.5m signing fee from Spartak Moscow before the transfer deadline, while Manchester City, West Ham and Spurs were also interested in the 28-year-old. (Daily Mail)
    So both Benayoun and Pennant had a chance to leave, but turned them down

Rafa is on record as saying he didnt want Yossi to leave and that he wouldnt be, dont believe that above story is true at all.

Well both can be true, the offer made but was never going to be taken up.

Since when was 3.5 million enormous, or do they mean that was Yossis not Pools?

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well both can be true, the offer made but was nevr going to be taken up.

Since when wass 3.5 million enormous, or do they mean that was Yossis not Pools?

Mike

Think its meant as a signing on fee which doesn't sound too shabby for a plyer like that.

Then the man is a fool! :pac: (even if it means playing in Russia)

Mike

3.5m signing on is decent, and I'm sure he could at least 2m a year on wages, but I'm sure he knows that would be the end of his career in the limelight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Signing on fee is usually about 10% of any transfer price.

So yes, a 3.5m signing on fee is absolutely huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Des wrote: »

hard to turn down that kind of cash. good man yossi. pity they didnt offer Mr Kewell that money 4yrs ago, he would deffo have jumped!:pac:

prendy wrote: »
    hard to turn down that kind of cash. good man yossi. pity they didnt offer Mr Kewell that money 4yrs ago, he would deffo have jumped!:pac:

Of course he'd have injured himself while jumping!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Des wrote: »

that is not my understanding of it. As far as I know the 10% refers to a golden handshake of sorts from the club. If a player does not ask for a transfer they are entitled to 10% of the fee, something like that. A signing on fee is seperate from that and paid by the buying club. For instance, Sol Campbell signed for Arsenal on a free so if it is as you say then he would have got no signing on fee, but his signing on fee was in the millions, spread over the length of his contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement