Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tauren wrote: »
    that is not my understanding of it. As far as I know the 10% refers to a golden handshake of sorts from the club. If a player does not ask for a transfer they are entitled to 10% of the fee, something like that. A signing on fee is seperate from that and paid by the buying club. For instance, Sol Campbell signed for Arsenal on a free so if it is as you say then he would have got no signing on fee, but his signing on fee was in the millions, spread over the length of his contract.

The golden handshake is only if it's put in the contract if I'm not mistaken.
    The signing on fee itself is individual.
    There's no set percentage.

Kewel for instance got a large signing on fee, as he was bought so cheaply.
    He orchistrated the low transfer fee, so LFC gave him a large signing on fee.

Voronin would have gotten a sizable signing on bonus, as would Degen, as they came on Bosmans.
    It's all relative.

£3.5 mill is a massive signing on fee however, especially for a non world beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The golden handshake is only if it's put in the contract if I'm not mistaken.
    The signing on fee itself is individual.
    There's no set percentage.

Kewel for instance got a large signing on fee, as he was bought so cheaply.
    He orchistrated the low transfer fee, so LFC gave him a large signing on fee.

Voronin would have gotten a sizable signing on bonus, as would Degen, as they came on Bosmans.
    It's all relative.

£3.5 mill is a massive signing on fee however, especially for a non world beater.

That Russian league is loaded though, it's probably nothing to them.

It's a bizarre transfer target though, if true. There are far better players then Benayoun who they could give that kind of a bonus to, Although, it depends i suppose on who would want to play in the Russian League.

I'm glad Yossi didn't go though. He's a quality squad player to have (just not on the left).

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rieri play. The price we got him for turned out to be a lot smaller than originally thought when his name first popped up. Could be a bargain hopefully

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Rieri play. The price we got him for turned out to be a lot smaller than originally thought when his name first popped up. Could be a bargain hopefully

I've been happy with the interviews so far.
    He seems eager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I've been happy with the interviews so far.
    He seems eager.

Ah, all players talk the talk. Hopefully he'll walk the walk ;)

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Ah, all players talk the talk. Hopefully he'll walk the walk ;)

I don't care if he can walk, or talk, as long as he can cross a ball!:P

Did/Does he take corner kicks, wherever he's been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yet another Hungarian arrives.
    Liverpool have completed the loan signing of Zsolt Poloskei, yet another Hungarian import.

The midfielder is the fourth player to arrive from MTK Hungaria after Peter Gulacsi, Krisztian Nemeth and Andras Simon.

Poloskei completed a trial with the club in pre-season and has impressed the manager enough to earn an extended stay.

Benitez has been adding youth to his squad pretty much since his arrival, although the latest flurry of young additions is likely to end up in some first team players.

Fans seem to be most excited by the potential impact of striker Krisztian Nemeth, only backed up by Benitez’s extended use of him in pre-season.

Mike

Did/Does he take corner kicks, wherever he's been?

He does.

He has a sweet left foot, and can really whip a ball.
    He's one of those rare players that can seem to get more power behind the ball the further away from goal he is too!
    The ball just seems to get faster and faster.
    He doesn't power them like Gerrard or Riise, but he still bangs them in.

It's his passing that impresses me though.
    He's big for a winger, so can hold off defenders, and play the sweetest little flicks and through balls.
    if he links up well with Dossena on the left, I can see a really good partnership.

He's not the next messiah or anything, but I can see him being a great acquisition.

He does.

He has a sweet left foot, and can really whip a ball.
    He's one of those rare players that can seem to get more power behind the ball the further away from goal he is too!
    The ball just seems to get faster and faster.
    He doesn't power them like Gerrard or Riise, but he still bangs them in.

It's his passing that impresses me though.
    He's big for a winger, so can hold off defenders, and play the sweetest little flicks and through balls.
    if he links up well with Dossena on the left, I can see a really good partnership.

He's not the next messiah or anything, but I can see him being a great acquisition.

Are ya sure he's not the next messiah :p

• Advertisement

Are ya sure he's not the next messiah :p

He's not the new messiah.
    He's a very naughty boy!!!

He's not the new messiah.
    He's a very naughty boy!!!

Now fuck off!!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is anyone else really disappointed in Carragher ? I haven't been on here much lately so dont know if it has been discussed. The timing of the release of his autobiography is crazy. He has a lot of praise for Rafa in it but also some criticisms. I think its totally unprofessional, for example, to be giving out about rotation while himself and Rafa are still at the club. Rafa, and the club are under enough media scrutiny as it is. The only reason to release a biography while still playing, is for the money. I didnt think Carragher was like that and I'm fairly dissapointed. If he HAD to release it before he retired, he could have done it over the summer rather than a few weeks into the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, I'd largely agree with that.

I do have a lot of respect for Carragher, but I'd rather he kept his revelations to himself until he hangs up his boots.

Footballers and autobiographies, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Gotta agree. I really think any footballer releasing a book whilst still playing the game is taking the pi*s. Carragher is still a legend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,129 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

aye, totally agree. Just because its in a book rather then a tabloid interview doesn't give him the right to lay any critisism at his managers feet while they're still working with each other. Biographies, as ye've said, should not come until the end of one's career. Didn't mind Fowlers as his came out with his career effectively being over, sitting in the ManCity reserves injured. He obviously had no idea what was around the corner.

• Advertisement

True, maybe it should in the contract to hold off.

There could be a subtext - maybe Rafa has indicated this is Carras last year before becoming a sub rather than a starter. ;)

Mike

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    True, maybe it should in the contract to hold off.

There could be a subtext - maybe Rafa has indicated this is Carras last year before becoming a sub rather than a starter. ;)

Mike

I dunno, that could have been last year after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Just read on rawk that Ian Rush will be doing a book signing in Easons in Dublin on September 18th

Tusky wrote: »
    Is anyone else really disappointed in Carragher ? I haven't been on here much lately so dont know if it has been discussed. The timing of the release of his autobiography is crazy. He has a lot of praise for Rafa in it but also some criticisms. I think its totally unprofessional, for example, to be giving out about rotation while himself and Rafa are still at the club. Rafa, and the club are under enough media scrutiny as it is. The only reason to release a biography while still playing, is for the money. I didnt think Carragher was like that and I'm fairly dissapointed. If he HAD to release it before he retired, he could have done it over the summer rather than a few weeks into the season.

........................and when he retires expect the sequel.

I have only read a few excerpts that have popped up on the 'net here and there.
    I haven't come across the parts that criticised Rafa, but, does it raise the question, did/should Carra run any of it by Rafa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would imagine that he has cleared it with rafa, otherwise he is a benchwarmer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Someone mentioned here that we cannot really make an opinion on the whole situation until we read the book.
    A lot of these excerpts portray Carra in a bad light but before we start slating him totally we should wait until we can see the full picture.
    Of course saying that, the excerpt where Carra discusses going after Lucas Neil is childish and unnecessary

Borrowed from RAWK

The Champion League Group Stages Squad

1 Diego Cavalieri
    25 Pepe Reina
    34 Martin Ronald Kelly
    2 Andrea Dossena
    5 Daniel Agger
    12 Fábio Aurélio
    17 Álvaro Arbeloa
    23 Jamie Carragher
    27 Philipp Degen
    32 Stephen Darby
    36 Steven Alan Irwin
    37 Martin Škrtel
    8 Steven Gerrard
    14 Xabi Alonso
    15 Yossi Benayoun
    16 Jermaine Pennant
    20 Javier Mascherano
    21 Lucas Leiva
    26 Jay Spearing
    7 Robbie Keane
    9 Fernando Torres
    11 Albert Riera
    18 Dirk Kuyt
    19 Ryan Babel
    24 David Ngog

Lots of local trained youngsters and no Sami Hyypia. Pennant included too.

Hyypia thoughts on this
    -The manager's decision to leave me out of the squad is a big disappointment for me.

-I understand it's partly because of the UEFA regulations, but despite that, the news came to me as a surprise and a shock too.

-The club had a 'perfect' timing for this: they didn't want me to move elsewhere, so that's why I was told the news of having been left out, just after the transfer window had closed.

-The club went public to say there had been offers for me, but turned all them down. So perhaps that means I am still part of the plans for this season. I don't know if I would have wanted to move on, had I heard news about our CL squad when the window was still open.

-I'm still pissed off with the news, but trying not to think about it too much now. I'm concentrating on Germany right now.

Mike

very poor form on Hyypia, but i suppose who do we take out for him? Waste having to use all those young guys just to make up the english contingent, they'll never be used. Speaking of which i thought we needed 8, only 7 listed.

Feel very sorry for Hyypia, he deserves to be there so much more then Irwin.

Rafa getting pissed off with the armchair critics;
    He added: "I'm surprised by some things people have said. When I spent a lot of money on Torres, he couldn’t play for a couple of games because he was injured, but everybody was telling me he had to play because I'd spent so much on him.

"But then there was a game of United's, where they had Hargreaves, Nani and Tevez on the bench, players who had cost £20m and maybe £30m, and nobody said anything.

"At Liverpool, though, if I leave a Torres or a Keane out, then everybody talks about it.

"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know.

"They are analysing things without knowing why they have been done. And then another team can have a bench full of £20million players, and nobody says anything."
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161192080906-1030.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

~Rebel~ wrote: »

IN responce: if the players-out-of-position worked, there'd be no criticism. And Man U have a much bigger budget and can aoffrd to have 20mil players on the bench, Liverpool can't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Of course Sami's gonna feel pissed.
    Yeah Sami deserves to take Irwin's place, but Sami can't, Irwin is makin' up the English numbers.
    If Sami were to be picked in that squad, he'd have to replace another 'foreigner'.
    Can't really sacrifice one of, Dossena, Agger, Aurélio, Arbeloa, Degen, Škrtel from the defence.
    So that leaves Rafa looking at other positions to accomodate Sami.

Edit: Pennant is there because he's English. If the rule wasn't in place, I'd say El Zhar & Sami would've walked into that squad.

I thought nemeth would get a look in to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That's pretty bad. He sounds like a man reaching breaking point.

I do not like the sound of this. Seems like all the Rafa critisim is getting to him. Liverpool really need to win someone this year OR put in a really good challenge for the league or he is gone I fear.

Pretty bad form leaving Hyypia out. What happens if Carragher and one of Agger or Skrtel pick up an injury ?

Heres the Benitez article in full -
    Rafa Benitez issues Liverpool FC warning.

Sep 6 2008 by Nick Smith, Daily Post
    RAFAEL BENITEZ has warned that winning trophies for Liverpool is becoming more difficult by the year.
    The manager won the Champions League in his first season at Anfield and the FA Cup a year later – but he hasn’t won any major honours in the past two years and has failed to get close to launching a title challenge.
    But Benitez has hit back at his critics, who have circled once again following an under-whelming start to the current campaign.
    Liverpool won their first two Premier League games against Sunderland and Middlesbrough thanks to late winning goals, while they sneaked past Standard Liege in their Champions League qualifier before last Sunday’s dour 0-0 draw at Aston Villa.
    However, Benitez has rejected suggestion he is just getting his excuses in early as he looks to overcome the obstacles standing in the way of him finally mounting a genuine title challenge
    He said: “People need to understand that to win trophies is really difficult. More and more teams are spending more and more money.
    “We will try to be closer and have a lot of confidence because the squad is better, but you can’t guarantee anything. We must make sure we do our best ever time.
    “I’m surprised when some of the experts criticise us. They don’t analyse the situation, the bigger picture of the Premier League and the levels of the other teams.
    “As a manager, you have to analyse things properly, because you aren’t a fan. You have a responsibility. You can’t just say what people want to hear.
    “The Premier League is becoming more and more difficult because so many people are spending money. La Liga is fantastic, but now the Premier League is better and more difficult.
    “For us to qualify for the Champions League for five years in a row is important for a club of our stature. We want to win trophies, and to win the Premier League would be amazing. But it’s not easy.”
    Benitez has already revealed his feeling that Manchester City could potentially launch a threat to the top four elite after their takeover by Abu Dhabi-based business tycoons the United Group for Development and Investment unlocked a vault of riches for manager Mark Hughes.
    It brings into sharp context the Spaniard’s own power struggles with the Anfield hierarchy and the refusal of owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to sanction the money needed to prise Gareth Barry away from Aston Villa in the summer.
    But Benitez is still confident in his own squad strengthening despite the resident top two of Manchester United and Chelsea still spending big money in the transfer window.
    “If the owners of the clubs keep on spending big, big money, then they will want more and more success. But how many teams can win the title? Just one,” added Benitez.
    “So the rest of the teams who spend big money, the owners will realise they haven’t won, so it could be more pressure and more problems for everyone.
    “We’re improving the squad every year, the value of the squad has become much better. We know we’re better than before, but maybe the other teams are better also. Look at City, for example.
    “As always, it also depends on the other teams. The job isn’t harder, it’s the same. When you are at a top side, you need to be ready to challenge for titles or to be under pressure.
    “I don’t have any problem with the pressure. But if people analyse the situation properly, it’s changed a lot because other teams are signing big players.”
    But Benitez feels the extra spending power increases pressure on managers and leaves them open to unfair criticism – which he feels he is constantly a victim of because of his selection policies.
    He added: “I’m surprised by some things people have said. When I spent a lot of money on Torres, he couldn’t play for a couple of games because he was injured, but everybody was telling me he had to play because I’d spent so much on him.
    “But then there was a game of United’s, where they had Hargreaves, Nani and Tevez on the bench, players who had cost £20m and maybe £30m, and nobody said anything.
    “At Liverpool, though, if I leave a Torres or a Keane out, then everybody talks about it.”
    Liverpool have added a fourth Hungarian to their ranks by taking 17-year-old midfielder Zsolt Poloskei on a season-long loan as part of their arrangement with MTK Hungaria.

I bet he is looking at the sun in Spain and its getting to him.

Regarding being pissed off, his treatment of certain players isn't exactly promoting good vibes in the camp I have to say.

Mike

• Advertisement

Bad/poor form leaving Sami out of the squad, who would ya replace to have him in the squad?

Bad/poor form leaving Sami out of the squad, who would ya replace to have him in the squad?

Looking at the names, its hard to blame Rafa, given that he's 4th choice CB and even if 2 of the first 3 CB's get injured there is still Arbeloa who can cover. No other position has the same level of cover available. The only name one could take out is N'Gog, but its probably better to have an extra attacking option then an extra defensive one, and its far more likely that the attacking option would get more gametime as they're subbed regularly to change a game while a CB partnership is very rarely broken in mid game without injury.

Looking at the names, its hard to blame Rafa, given that he's 4th choice CB and even if 2 of the first 3 CB's get injured there is still Arbeloa who can cover. No other position has the same level of cover available. The only name one could take out is N'Gog, but its probably better to have an extra attacking option then an extra defensive one, and its far more likely that the attacking option would get more gametime as they're subbed regularly to change a game while a CB partnership is very rarely broken in mid game without injury.

Aye.
    Rafa was forced into this decision. There'd be no doubt whatsoever Sami would be in that squad only for the rule.
    I do feel sorry for Sami, he had an excellent season last year and hopefully he won't be a loss in the CL :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sami is winding down his career and should keep quiet and let the natural progression of youngsters happen. Are we going to just keep playing him forever and ignore our youth talent? Surely he mustve known he wouldnt get as much game time this year before he signed his extension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

In fairness Sami has been a great servant to the club and is a reliable as you'll get but having watched him live and on tv his lack of pace is SHOCKING and i think that is a major factor and the young fellas have to be bled in aswell.

On another note anyone going to the big game on sat next? i am going to my first pool v man u game. I seriously cant wait:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

yayamark wrote: »

On another note anyone going to the big game on sat next? i am going to my first pool v man u game. I seriously cant wait:cool:

I'll be in Liverpool, no tickets though :(

All well and good saying the young fella's need to be bled, but thats not why they're in the squad. I'd be amazed if they even travel with any of the squads unless we qualify with 4 wins in the first 4 games. If they weren't english they wouldn't be named. Probably safe to say Darby and Spearing would be the only ones with a chance, Irwin would be a million miles away and Plessis, Insua, Nemeth and Pacheco would be highest in the pecking order if they weren't foreigners. Just means Sami is dropped for fella's that will in practice make no difference at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Melion wrote: »
    I'll be in Liverpool, no tickets though :(

Ah well, have u been to one before?
    All well and good saying the young fella's need to be bled, but thats not why they're in the squad. I'd be amazed if they even travel with any of the squads unless we qualify with 4 wins in the first 4 games. If they weren't english they wouldn't be named. Probably safe to say Darby and Spearing would be the only ones with a chance, Irwin would be a million miles away and Plessis, Insua, Nemeth and Pacheco would be highest in the pecking order if they weren't foreigners. Just means Sami is dropped for fella's that will in practice make no difference at the end of the day.

Whats your soloution (sp)?

Drop Pennant. We have Kuyt and Benayoun on the right, Babel & Riera on the left.

• Advertisement

There isn't one. As I pointed out in my second last post, Rafa was forced into this by the 'local player' rule, Hyypia is the logical one to drop out.

I was just pointing out that the 2 posts above saying youth needs to be developed etc aren't the reason he's dropped. Nothing to do with youth, everything to do with nationality.

Drop Pennant. We have Kuyt and Benayoun on the right, Babel & Riera on the left.

Pennant is one of the English. If you drop him, another English player has to come in. Problem still there, except we have yet another 18year old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Wouldnt have made a difference, Pennant is English, Sami isnt

Ah, touche. Well I suppose theres nothing Rafa could do then. Kind of exposes the English rules as being a bit silly. All it will result in is weaker Champions League squads that include English youths that will never play. How is that helping anything ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ah, touche. Well I suppose theres nothing Rafa could do then. Kind of exposes the English rules as being a bit silly. All it will result in is weaker Champions League squads that include English youths that will never play. How is that helping anything ?

Encourages them to use their youth systems:rolleyes:

Great rule.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Encourages them to use their youth systems:rolleyes:

Great rule.

It doesn't though. IMO they went too in between on the rule. If they had said 5, then you'd have your best 5 there. Would make no difference in that the extra couple aren't going to get any game time if they're not good enough anyway.

Alternatively they could have said half teh squad, in which case you Would have to use your youth team, at the expense of quality, but it would be forcing what they want which is more experienced english players. As it stands its just in the middle of the road, add in the names of a couple of kids who aren't better then the 15 or so squad members ahead of them, use the 15 or 16, and thats that, still plenty to be able to ignore the lesser quality english.

Also if your encouraging the youth system, then they'd make the rule to be a couple of under-18's or u-20's rather then nationality. for e.g, Pool's best Youth talents aren't going, because they're foreign. Pacheco, Nemeth, Plessis, Insua all left out, so its actively working against the best youth players simply because they're not english. This Isn't about the youth system, its about trying to improve the national teams.

• Advertisement

Skrtel scored tonight!

Whoop!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Skrtel scored tonight!

Whoop!

and robbie missed an open goal. doh.

Wrong way round! :pac:

Skrtels goal was very well taken.

Mike

Ah jeez, we're getting very slack with reading posts now :pac: :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Pennant is a better option than Kuyt on the right. He's a natural right winger where Kuyt is not he'd offer better quality ball to the forwards

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement