Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

That's what Rafa brings to the club.

with respect, Rafa isn't unique in this department. managers everywhere have been doing this for years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I see that Keane is the latest Liverpool player who has been burgled.
    Robbie Keane has become the latest Liverpool player to fall victim to burglars, sources said on Tuesday.
    The Republic of Ireland striker's penthouse apartment was broken into while he was away on international duty for his country's 2-1 win over Georgia on Saturday.
    The thieves sneaked into the flat he shares with model wife Claudine, 25, and are believed to have stolen an expensive watch and jewellery.
    Keane, 28, had been using the city centre property in Liverpool while he searched for a home after his £20million move from Tottenham.
    Over the past two years six Anfield stars, including Steven Gerrard and former Red Peter Crouch, have been burgled while playing.

The inauguration to the 'Capital of Culture' is now complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The inauguration to the 'Capital of Culture' is now complete

Ahhh he has to go to x in the city first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

with respect, Rafa isn't unique in this department. managers everywhere have been doing this for years.

But Rafa does it better.
    Rafa flew to Spain to meet Gerardo Brunas family when he was 15.
    (Gerardo, not Rafa!:p)

He doesn't send agents, or scouts.
    He meets with the players, and their families, and convinces them personaly.
    That's why the young players turn down bigger offers from other clubs.
    They feel better treated, or more important with Liverpool.

It's why Bruna left Madrid.
    Why Pacheco left Barca.
    Why Saric turned down Barca.
    Why Valle turned down Chelsea

Everyone of those players mentioned positive talks with Rafa as being one of if not the main reason they came.

That's not common in the big clubs at all to be honest.

It would be really really depressing if rafa is not there to see these players develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But Rafa does it better.

Why Pacheco left Barca.

Everyone of those players mentioned positive talks with Rafa as being one of if not the main reason they came.

But when Fergie personally goes to meet the players its tapping up! PAH!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Tauren wrote: »

Intercepting players at airports while they've only been given permission to talk to their cross city rivals. Yes, it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

It would be really really depressing if rafa is not there to see these players develop.

Agreed. There would be something brilliant about seeing him with a big smile on his face in a few years time with the young players matured and winning the league. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But when Fergie personally goes to kidnap the players its tapping up! PAH!

fixed that for you

• Advertisement

Even just seeing how he went over to mash when he was sent off. He really ****ing cares about the players like.

What would be more depressing would be some new manager coming in, and disregarding the youth system altogether!
    Like it was before.

There's a difference between talking to a non-contracted player like all the ones I mentioned above (bar Saric, but we had permission from his club), and a contracted one!;):p

monkey9 wrote: »
    Intercepting players at airports while they've only been given permission to talk to their cross city rivals. Yes, it is!

So Spurs gave Berbatov permission to talk to City and travel to manchester by plane about an hour and a half before City made contact with Spurs. Psychic!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

But Rafa does it better.

Why Pacheco left Barca.

I'm pretty sure it's very common with big clubs.

Very similar stories involving SAF with giggs/beckham, wenger with fabregas, and clough with keane. I'm sure there's loads more. You'd think rafa came up with the idea of going out of his way to ensure his team signed an in demand youngster.

SAF lost out of Ramsay because he wouldnt meet with him afaik.

anyway this is a stupid conversation. it doesnt matter, Rafa is doing excellent work attracting some of Europes top young players to Liverpool. that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Very similar stories involving SAF with giggs/beckham, wenger with fabregas, and clough with keane. I'm sure there's loads more. You'd think rafa came up with the idea of going out of his way to ensure his team signed an in demand youngster.

Did Man U not fail to sign Ramsey recently by sending Neville to meet him and show him around?

Not denying that other managers dont do this but it looks like Rafa is consistent in his approach and meets everyone.

Look into it.
    You'll see it's ost deffinately not the case.
    Wenger was one of the first proper man management experts to employ the policy across Europe, and Rafa uses it even more.

Of the list I mentioned above, every one of them mentioned the surprise at how Rafa personaly convinced them.
    Very, very, few managers tavel to another country to meet with a 15 year olds parents and grandparents (Rafa had tea with Bruna's extended family).

I'm fairly sure that the stories tou're reffering to with Ferguson, are from the players talking about how he influenced the players once they were at Utd, or after the had come to Manchester.

AF didn't exactly fly to Madrid to meet Giggs' family now did he?!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Did Man U not fail to sign Ramsey recently by sending Neville to meet him and show him around?

Not denying that other managers dont do this but it looks like Rafa is consistent in his approach and meets everyone.
    Well that's a major cock up if it's true, because SAF has gone out of his way for lesser player's than Ramsey, i'm sure.

Still though, there's no point praising rafa as some sort of pioneer in the art of aquiring youngsters, as i said, there are plenty of examples of managers doing it before.
    And there is no point praising him untill these lads come good(not saying they won't). How many 'next zidanes' did houllier take in?

Baaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Imagine opening your door and seeing Neville standing there.

Well that's a major cock up if it's true, because SAF has gone out of his way for lesser player's than Ramsey, i'm sure.

Still though, there's no point praising rafa as some sort of pioneer in the art of aquiring youngsters, as i said, there are plenty of examples of managers doing it before.
    And there is no point praising him untill these lads come good(not saying they won't). How many 'next zidanes' did houllier take in?

I don't think Karmafaerie is saying that Rafa is a pioneer, just that he's doing a great job by going about it this way.
    Why people can't just accept it, i don't know. Why feel the need to say "well, he wasn't the first..." So what??

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Why people can't just accept it, i don't know. Why feel the need to say "well, he wasn't the first..." So what??

Welcome to the internet.

As Monkey said, I'm not in anyway saying Rafa was the first, in fact I even mentioned Wenger doing it before Rafa a few posts ago.
    I'm simply saying that Rafa is doing a great job.

AF did I'm sure too, but nearly all of the great players to come out of Man Utd's youth policy, are British.

Wenger started scouring Europe, and now Rafa is being even more thorough.

Rafa's youth aquisitions range from as far afield as Spain, Argentina, Brasil, Morocco, Denmark, Hungary, Finland, Bulgaria, Australia, etc...

And Rafa is doing a lot of the leg work himself.
    Often even leaving the country to convince a promising player.

Never said he was a pioneer, just that he was doing a great job, and I think it'll be his legacy to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Great job? Most of Pool's youngsters have failed to make it / been moved on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Great job? Most of Pool's youngsters have failed to make it / been moved on.

Such as?

Of the youngsters that Rafa has gone out of his way to sign, who has left the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Gonzalez and Paletta off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bearing in mind the policy has been pursued seriously for the last 3 years its a bit too soon to be writing it off!

Mike.

Gonzalez never was a youngster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Gonzalez was a first team regular in Spain, wouldnt call him a kid. Paletta was swapped for Insua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

if only two of them make it to the top level then its a success.If pacheo or bruna fulfill their obvious potential then that saves Liverpool at least 40m(the Torres price is the quality these players look like they might reach)

Gonzales and Paletta both came straight into the first team!
    Paletta was 20, and Gonzalez was 22.

Calling Gonzalez a youth team player is like calling Torres one, so if that's the case, then Torres is the best youth signing in the history of the game!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Heads up to all you Pool fans. Jamie Carragher is going to be on talkSPORT (Sky channel 0108, and available to listen on their website) pretty soon, to be interviewed on Adrian Durham's show. If any of you don't know who Durham is, he is an arrogant ****, and is the bloke who called Carragher a bottler a year ago after Jamie retired from international football. Carra, then rang in to the show, and had it out with him over the air.

I am sure they will cover this, and obviously Jamie's book, so it should be a good listen.

Heads up to all you Pool fans. Jamie Carragher is going to be on talkSPORT (Sky channel 0108, and available to listen on their website) pretty soon, to be interviewed on Adrian Durham's show. If any of you don't know who Durham is, he is an arrogant ****, and is the bloke who called Carragher a bottler a year ago after Jamie retired from international football. Carra, then rang in to the show, and had it out with him over the air.

I am sure they will cover this, and obviously Jamie's book, so it should be a good listen.

Cheers for the heads up.
    God I hate being at work!:(

Cheers for the heads up.
    God I hate being at work!:(

No bother mate.

I would imagine they will archive it for their media player, they usually seem to do so with anything of interest.

Alright he's on now.

He mentioned how he has been a lifelong liverpool fan. I heard that he supported the dirty blue side as a youngster until he joined the Pools academy and the reason he wears long sleeve shirts is because he has a everton tattoo on his arm.

anyone heard anything like this or have i been dreaming about Jamie Carraghers forearms again?

On another note, its a great interview so far, talking about Houllier and Evans, caps on forgein players.

Tattoo thing is bull****, sure he's been wearing short sleeves lately.

He was a hardcore everton fan as a kid though, hes very open about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

He mentioned how he has been a lifelong liverpool fan. I heard that he supported the dirty blue side as a youngster until he joined the Pools academy and the reason he wears long sleeve shirts is because he has a everton tattoo on his arm.

anyone heard anything like this or have i been dreaming about Jamie Carraghers forearms again?
    Carragher doesn't have an Everton tattoo. He probably wears long sleeved shirts while playing football for the same reason I do. It gets cold sometimes :).

These images might have been photoshopped...
    CL230707LPOOLTRAIN-5.jpg

JamieCarragher_vWales_L.jpg

kitlaunch_06_2502.jpg

Cheers lads, i guess the tattoo thing is nonsence so.

The Carra tattoo thing is a bit of an urbane legend.
    They even had a bit about it in the Echo before.
    TB laid it to rest with that pic of the sleeveless top above.
    Everton fans have been saying it for years though.

Carragher Everton Tattoo Shocker
    After all those years of hearing the "Carragher wears long sleeves cos he's got an Everton tattoo" the myth can finally be nailed once and for all.
    As this picture, taken by Echo photoghrapher Colin Lane, shows, Carragher hasn't got any tattoos, never mind an Everton one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He was a hardcore everton fan as a kid though, hes very open about that.

Its so hard to believe, you get the impression that Carra cares mores about Liverpool that any other player cares about any other prem club.
    Ye'd wonder how he could go from one extreme to another

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

colly10 wrote: »
    Its so hard to believe, you get the impression that Carra cares mores about Liverpool that any other player cares about any other prem club.
    Ye'd wonder how he could go from one extreme to another

simple, he saw the light :)

3/4 way through Carras book, just wanna say i think its a let down that he has written this book.

Things in it he says that he shouldnt be saying while still so involved at the club, poor form Jamie (not talking about his mates or the Song incident, couldnt care about those things)

Good read and very honest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Any chance of some elaboration Mr. Alan? I know some guys won't want to get it spoiled on them so maybe in spoiler friendly mode. (i.e blacked out...)

basically, in one of the early chapters he discusses his feelings on the treatment of Steve Heighway in the youth set up, and the way it has now been changed and how we are now getting young talents from around Europe, enticing them with nice financial packages, uprooting their families to England, he talks about how he fundamentally disagrees with this practice. while that in itself that is fair enough, i dont think he should be saying anything like that while still playing there.he namechecks people like Pacheco and Nemeth as players he expects to play a considerable part in the first team btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Methinks Carra should play football and STFU.

Mike

• Advertisement

Have read liverpool have not named Hyppia in the CL squad - I know with Agger Skyrtel(sp) and Carragher he is down the pecking order and that his ommision is forced by the lack of youth products, but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I still can't undertsand how current footballers are allowed to write a book while still playing! I don't get the logic behind it at all that a club/manager allows it, as it all ways causes trouble. Keane, Stam, Fowler, Owen are just a couple of examples in modern times. Fair enough a player who has hung up the boots but a current player should have it written in to a contract that they are not allowed to write a book as it cause to much crap.

malice_ wrote: »
    Carragher doesn't have an Everton tattoo. He probably wears long sleeved shirts while playing football for the same reason I do. It gets cold sometimes :).

These images might have been photoshopped...
    CL230707LPOOLTRAIN-5.jpg

JamieCarragher_vWales_L.jpg

kitlaunch_06_2502.jpg

The reason Carragher wears long sleeved shirts is so he can wipe the snot from his nose. Simple!

Actually its because he thinks he has skinny arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow it's amazing how effective those tattoo removal procedures can be :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement