Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

End of the Jan afaik - at least I'm fairly sure I've seen Jan 31st mentioned a few times in relation to the loans

but sure what's a couple of weeks really ? Just another few quid in interest

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm fairly confident it's the 25th, but they have some sort of option to delay it for 6 months if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm fairly confident it's the 25th, but they have some sort of option to delay it for 6 months if they want.

thats true, but the RBS have the right to deny this extension. Absolutely no idea whether they will or not, but fingers crossed they look at G&H's track record and say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

AFAIK the additional 6 months is just an additional refinancing.
    They'd have to work out new deals, and all indications are that the bank aren't willing to do this under the current state of affairs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Liverpool TV are showing a replay of the game at 6.30 for any1 who like me, was drinking during the match and can't remember shag all of it because of it :p

Found this on youtube, its a compilation of Riera's every touch from his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Going back to the date the loans are up - it's Jan 31st according to TB. Now we know that like everyone else he's not 100% accurate 100% of the time but his track record is better than most.
    The most significant of all is January 31, the deadline by which Tom Hicks and George Gillett must refinance the loans taken out in the £350m refinancing package they secured earlier this year.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/15/days-of-destiny-on-anfield-horizon-100252-21539554/

Either way we know it's the last couple of weeks in Jan and I suspect there'll be a lot more speculation (media & otherwise) as that date gets closer and closer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

zing wrote: »
    Either way we know it's the last couple of weeks in Jan and I suspect there'll be a lot more speculation (media & otherwise) as that date gets closer and closer.

I think they have the option of an extension to June.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think they have the option of an extension to June.

i think the RBS can say no to the extension though, and in the current climate and with G&H's track record they just might. They will be able to see that by saying no, Dubai can simply come in with a lower bid and pay everything back immediately, so financially it would make sense to stop it dragging on, in case the arabs go cold on the idea of buying the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guardian carry story which confirms what we were saying earlier about DIC not bidding for Liverpool, and that his Shiekhness is the likely buyer.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i really do think Riera is going to have a lot of people eating their words. excellent touch. can beat a man. destroyed last seasons best (second best) RB. my hopes were high before the weekend. they are higher now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Riera is a strange player, certainly gifted and has good potential, but his application at times is very worrying. I watched him over the last 2 seasons, and he reminds me of Joaquin - skillful yes, but if the chips are down - he goes missing.

The reason I think this might change with Riera is that he choose Liverpool, which shows some desire, he knows he's labelled a dud due to his City days, and he wants to play for Spain - he's at the right club, in the right competitions, and is almost guaranteed game time - his only rival for the left wing is a right footed forward (Babel)

He had an immense debut, the two little flicks where a real standout, the kind of creativity we've been lacking. He was extremely keen going forward - not afraid to take on men - and with his size, speed and skill, it's going to be a real threat for us.

On the negatives, his crossing was hit and miss, and he'll need to get up to speed on the physicality of the game, and stay on his feet more.

I had a quick glance at tonights squad.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Dossena, Arbeloa, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Kuyt, Torres, Riera, Keane, Cavalieri, Degen.

No Auerlio, but Degen is in the squad :)

zAbbo wrote: »
    but if the chips are down - he goes missing

Like going 1 nil down to the premier league and Champions League winners? but then coming back and having a stormer? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Announcement

Anne Williams is coming to Dublin.

Jointly hosted by YNWA irish reds and Irishkop.com
    she we be at the Race night.

I have been speaking to Anne Yesterday, and she is overwelmed by efforts of irishreds, and personally wants to thank you all for your efforts, and special thanks to marathonman for his efforts and kind donation. She will speak to us about her case.

She went on to say, this is what keeps her going, she has lots of evidence
    that will hopefully aid her case in the court of human rights that she seeks juistice for her Young Lad that died is Hillsboro nearly 20 years ago. and not forgetting the other 95 also. this will open to door hopefully for justice for all that died.

Anne is a lovely Lady, she's fighting the British Justice system, and really needs our support...... So I cant stress enough That we need your support
    help us, we can help her, every little donation helps, no matter how large or small.

She will be bringing copy's of her book on the night also,

I am trying to arrange with Anne's agreement, to get as much publicity for her case and the night in question as I possibly can, you if any of our members have and contacts in the media, I would like to hear from them.
    Ann herself is making big news in the UK at the moment, and doing several interviews. This is Big and she will not and we will not let it go away, Now is your chance to support the justice for the 96.

http://irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4849

http://irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4030

pam/Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Like going 1 nil down to the premier league and Champions League winners? but then coming back and having a stormer? ;)

Well this is my theory, in that he was a gifted player surrounded by a team of lesser players (to an extent) and now with better players around him - he can kick on and perhaps add the consistency that his potential deserves.

In Spain, when you're taking a beating, it's normally the attacking wide players (Full backs/wingers) who see most of the ball, so in that case - I've seen him just stand around while his side take a hammering.

Obviously we're much more disciplined than that, and have a higher work ethic, plus Rafa wouldn't stand for it, as Rafa said he's more mature now, and he's at the right club to make it.

But who knows, we've had Zenden, Kewel, and Gonzalez play left wing - so he's doesn't have anything to live up to. He's already put in the best performance of any of our wide left players in the last 3 years.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Another thing about Riera is that he'll have the ball out wider and the opposition defence will see him as a threat. He will end up pulling some of the lesser disiplined defenders out of position leaving more room for Torres/Keane/Kuyt/Babel/Yossi/Gerrard/Reina (whoever Rafa decides to play up front). I think that was evident against Man U at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I wouldn't risk Torres or Gerrard tonight. They may well be fit, but a few days rest will help their recuperation. I hope Degen is match-ready - i want to see what he can do.

Reina

Degen
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Babel
    Lucas
    Alonso
    Riera

Keane
    N'Gog

I'd like to see that team. The Masch picked up a knock at the weekend so i'd rest him. There's plenty of attacking threat there down both flanks

I don't think he'll risk two new players down the right, Babel hasn't really played there for us, if anything we'll be back to 4-2-3-1, although you never know with Rafa.

I'm not convinced with Lucas, just doesn't have the urgency, so I think it will be Gerrard and Alonso, with Kuyt on the right, Riera on the left, and Keane playing off someone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I read that N'Gog isnt included in the squad for tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I read that N'Gog isnt included in the squad for tonight

Him and Lucas are injured aren't they?

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Him and Lucas are injured aren't they?

Nope, Lucas want in the squad at the weekend because he got back from International Duty late. Not sure if Ngog is injured or not, any reports i've read have mentioned that Aurelio is the only injured player at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I wouldn't risk Torres or Gerrard tonight. They may well be fit, but a few days rest will help their recuperation. I hope Degen is match-ready - i want to see what he can do.

Reina

Degen
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Babel
    Lucas
    Alonso
    Riera

Keane
    N'Gog

I'd like to see that team. The Masch picked up a knock at the weekend so i'd rest him. There's plenty of attacking threat there down both flanks

As other people have gone to pains to point out in the past when people post up these formation diagrams, Babel has never started on the right for Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I recently received my copy of Paul Tomkins book Dynasty. I purchased it on preorder, and was receiving updates on the book for the past few weeks. Yesterday I got a mail from him advertising his upcoming book, Compendium. Paul suffers badly from ME, and is trying to raise funds so he can try a new treatment. All details are below.

I enjoy Pauls articles, and thought book of a collection of his best works might interest some people here.
    Dear Dynastonians,
    By now, pretty much everyone should have their copy of the book. Only those at the farthest flung reaches of the globe might still be waiting for theirs. I hope you are enjoying the book, and look forward to hearing your thoughts. As mentioned before, I hope you can put honest reviews on Amazon.co.uk for me in the next few days, once the book's status is set to 'in stock'.

Starting next week, I am undergoing weekly sessions of the Perrin Technique: http://www.theperrinclinic.com/

It is not a miracle cure for M.E., but a treatment that has a better than average success rate. It's based on sound medical knowledge, rather than some of the more debatable treatments available, and uses osteopathy to reduce the toxic overload on the hypothalamus. I saw Dr Perrin a few months ago for a consultation, but delayed the treatment until Dynasty was out of the way. It can take between 6 months and 2 years, and is obviously not cheap, plus there are travel costs, too. I cannot afford the treatment beyond a few sessions at the moment, and my profits from Dynasty, if there are any, will be for my living expenses.

To help fund this, I am going to release a book in December, in time for Christmas, called Compendium, which people can pre-order now; it will not be in shops at any point. Those who purchased Dynasty are the only people being notified today, to give you all a heads-up. I was simply going to ask for donations, but I'd rather offer something in return - albeit something that I won't make myself ill producing.

The book will be a compilation of the best bits of all my previous books - the timeless stuff, like Istanbul, Cardiff and Athens. It will also have bits from Above Us Only Sky, my withdrawal of which from retail sale has left me very short of cash in the last year; but I just couldn't stand by what I'd written about the owners after the mess behind the scenes. There will also be a few articles in there, too.

Compendium will also have the larger statistical analysis section which I'd painstakingly typeset for Dynasty, but for which there wasn't room within a 256 page book (which is all my budget would allow for) without reducing the font size - something I won't do after complaints about my first book. I was going to put this on my website, but it's a nightmare to reformat. Also, I thought it would be a nice reference piece to have in a book, given it has the full lists of all the players in descending order, based on Quality and also Value For Money.

The book will a fairly limited edition (demand will dictate how many I get produced), given that it will only be available from my site, and everyone who pre-orders will get their name printed in the book, in the order of purchase. Obviously all copies will be signed, as ever.

Go here to pre-order http://www.paultomkins.com/Compendium.html

Finally, there's an interview about Dynasty here:

http://www.lfchistory.net/redcorner_articles_view.asp?article_id=2392

Thanks again for your continued support.

All the best,

PAUL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Some pictures of training for tonights match. No sign of N'Gog. Lucas is there though. I know he (Lucas) had a knock that prevented him from playing at the weekend.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=223359.msg4804759#msg4804759

That Tompkins fella annoys me no end.

Anyone who hasnt read this book;

43-Years-FC-hi-res_995114.jpg

43 Years With The Same Bird-Brian Reade

I really cannot recommend this highly enough...its the best book i've ever read about football and really sums up the feelings that fans have.

In an age when every ****ing footballer releases an autobiography in the pre-season, that may as well all be written by the same person (carra and gerrard included), it was refreshing to read something that actually told a proper story, hilariously funny in parts (story about interviewing Shankly in the nip), heartbreakingly sad at other times. Really cant recommend it enough.

Buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Really hope Rafa doesn't revert to 4-4-2 for tonight. Marseille will get in our faces like we did against Man Utd so we could really use Masch in there with Alonso to calm things down - wouldn't reeeeally trust Lucas in that role and I certainly don't want Stevie back there.

Here's hoping Torres, Masch and Gerrard are fit and healthy so we can stick to the 4-2-3-1 jobbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_4116559,00.html

Just in case anyone was under the impression Finnan wasn't forced out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aurelio injured? Who'd have thunk it? :rolleyes:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That Tompkins fella annoys me no end.

Anyone who hasnt read this book;

43-Years-FC-hi-res_995114.jpg

43 Years With The Same Bird-Brian Reade

I really cannot recommend this highly enough...its the best book i've ever read about football and really sums up the feelings that fans have.

In an age when every ****ing footballer releases an autobiography in the pre-season, that may as well all be written by the same person (carra and gerrard included), it was refreshing to read something that actually told a proper story, hilariously funny in parts (story about interviewing Shankly in the nip), heartbreakingly sad at other times. Really cant recommend it enough.

Buy it.

Agreed. It's fantastic.

noodler wrote: »

wat does that prove? does it matter that finnan was "forced out"? should he be allowed stay just cause he wants to? Should Rafa not decide wat players are needed and wat ones arent?

Plus he doesnt say he was "forced out", he said he was suprised by the move (bit foolish really, considering we were talking about it all summer and he was offered to Villa and it was clear Arbeloa was the new first choice RB) and that if he wanted to play, he had to move....again, failing to see the issue here?

• Advertisement

Jesus!:rolleyes:

-Rafa didn't rate him as first choice.
    -Finnan didn't want to play second fiddle.
    -He left.

That's being forced out to you?

Finnan said...
    But it was obvious that I wasn't going to get a game by staying so I didn't really have much choice.

He was never told he had to go, he was told he wasn't first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

What going on here?

Jesus!:rolleyes:

-Rafa didn't rate him as first choice.
    -Finnan didn't want to play second fiddle.
    -He left.

That's being forced out to you?

Finnan said...

He was never told he had to go, he was told he wasn't first choice.

Define forcing out a pro footballer with an excellent attitude.

Its not just that he was forced out cos Rafa didn't rate him, its about Rafa being wrong-even based on comparing Arbeloa's recent pool performances and Finnan's recent ROI ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

wat does that prove? does it matter that finnan was "forced out"? should he be allowed stay just cause he wants to? Should Rafa not decide wat players are needed and wat ones arent?

Plus he doesnt say he was "forced out", he said he was suprised by the move (bit foolish really, considering we were talking about it all summer and he was offered to Villa and it was clear Arbeloa was the new first choice RB) and that if he wanted to play, he had to move....again, failing to see the issue here?

Totally agree - given the arrival of Degen and the fact that Darby got quite an amount of playing time in pre-season, Steve musnt have been too clued in to be surprised by the move.

What exactly would you three call being 'forced out' if it isn't the above?
    Rafa's way of doing it was not to tell Finnan he wouldn't play, just not play him, not put him in the squad and then offer him the Espanyol deal in the hope Finnan would get the picture. Pretty poorly done that Finnan had to recognise for himself that he wouldn't be playing enough games. There should have been some kind of meeting but Rafa clearly didn't bother his hole. Has Degen even made a squad yet? I don't think Rafa has any huge expectations from him.

Anyway, sorry. Rafa's never wrong etc etc

Its not just that he was forced out cos Rafa didn't rate him, its about Rafa being wrong-even based on comparing Arbeloa's recent pool performances and Finnan's recent ROI ones.

Forced out is when you're, I don't know, forced out.
    Not when you're told that you're second choice, and won't get as many games.

Finnan was a great player for us, but Rafa has to look out for the team.
    The future of the club.

We all watch players play on a weekly basis, and think that we know best.

Rafa is working with some of the best coaches, doctors, physios, etc in the world.
    I think that he has a better idea of what Finnan offered.
    Rafa want's players wh'll last for the whole season at peak level.
    Finnan missed half of last season, so we haven't seen him for a full season since 06-07.
    But we all know better than Rafa what he's capable of!:rolleyes:

Rafa made a good decision for the future IMO, and Finnan got to go to a good club, whos style suits him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

xabi wrote: »
    What going on here?

either Robbie or Jamie just farted

Noodler, i have a feeling you and me will never get on :( you probably think we should sign Duff? maybe steven Reid as well?

the attitude thing is stupid, we have Arbeloa who has an excellent attitude and has been a better RB pretty much since his arrival. We also have Darby who played a lot in pre-season is young and obviously hungry for success, and we have Deegan who is something of an unknown (except to you :rolleyes:)

Finnan may have the best attitude in the world, but he is not good enough anymore, recent performances for ROI mean **** all, he was sub-standard for Liverpool, thats all that matters. If he was a few years younger i'm sure Rafa would keep him around and get him to try and regain his form, but at the age he is, its just more likely he is over the hill and Rafa was right to allow him to move on to allow Arbeloa to make the position his own, with Darby and Deegan providing cover and keeping him on his toes.

Ahem-Karmafaerie. You clearly need this spelled out for you (probably with a bunch of creepy smilies-maybe its the only language you understand) but Finnan didn't have this 'meeting' where Rafa tlod him he wouldn't play. He had to simply work it out for himself.

Arbeloa, if he is to make it as a permanent solution, is certainly not ready to play everygame. I don't want to slag off Arbeloa for the sake of it but he has NEVER shown himself to be at Finnan's level (For me anyway). Maybe in a few more years but he should have been broken in more gradually this season.

You're starting to piss me off now.
    Rafa's way of doing it was not to tell Finnan he wouldn't play, just not play him, not put him in the squad and then offer him the Espanyol deal in the hope Finnan would get the picture.

How do you know this is how things happened? It was very obvious Finnans future was not with Liverpool long before the Riera deal was even started.
    Pretty poorly done that Finnan had to recognise for himself that he wouldn't be playing enough games.

Rafa met with Finnan, the contents of the meeting were not discussed by either party, but Finnan said after it that he was in limbo. If Finnan didnt realise that his opportunities on the right this year were limited i would be seriously worried he may have had a bad knock to the head.
    There should have been some kind of meeting but Rafa clearly didn't bother his hole.

There was a meeting. Finnan said as much.
    Has Degen even made a squad yet? I don't think Rafa has any huge expectations from him.

In tonights squad. Injured up till now, bit like Finnan for a lot of last season, except that Finnan is old. Deegan is not.

• Advertisement

he was sub-standard for Liverpool, thats all that matters.

Thats probably why pal. That is the stupidest comment I have read in this thread. So last season he only played a few games, the seasons before he was rightly regarded as one of the best RBs in the league. When, for you, did he turn sub standard?

Get off the bandwagon.

Link for that meeting?

I don't want to slag off Arbeloa for the sake of it but he has NEVER shown himself to be at Finnan's level (For me anyway)

Did you watch the game at the weekend? or his debut when he made Messi look poor in the Nou Camp?

Seriously, are you Steve Finnans granny or something?

Forced out would be getting your squad number taken away, forced to train with the U 17's, parking space taken away, being made boot boy, peeling the oranges at half time, washing the jerseys, doing a shift in the canteen, being forcably told that you are never ever ever ever ever going to play for any of the squads ever ever ever again.

I think Finnans situation was a bit different. He wanted to play every game, Rafa advised he was down the pecking order. The decision was made to move to another club to get Finnan what he wanted.

Ahem-Karmafaerie. You clearly need this spelled out for you (probably with a bunch of creepy smilies-maybe its the only language you understand) but Finnan didn't have this 'meeting' where Rafa tlod him he wouldn't play. He had to simply work it out for himself.

Arbeloa, if he is to make it as a permanent solution, is certainly not ready to play everygame. I don't want to slag off Arbeloa for the sake of it but he has NEVER shown himself to be at Finnan's level (For me anyway). Maybe in a few more years but he should have been broken in more gradually this season.

Ahem, Noodler, you probably need this reminded to you, but Rafa did have a meeting with Finnan.
    Surprisingly, we don't know what was said cause we weren't there!

Except for you of course.
    You know.
    Like you know all about Degen, but seem to not know that the reason he wasn't playing for us yet is that he's injured since the start of the season!!!

Oh, almost forgot.:rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac::D;):p:)

Did you watch the game at the weekend? or his debut when he made Messi look poor in the Nou Camp?

Seriously, are you Steve Finnans granny or something?

You are using the Utd game as an example? He didn't play well. Christ, do you watch the games drunk or something?

Several papers, journos took the same view.

We'll wait and see here regarding Degen, but if he plays more than 10 Pl games are any CL games in the Knockout stages then we will know how highly Rafa rates him.

You are using the Utd game as an example? He didn't play well. Christ, do you watch the games drunk or something?

Several papers, journos took the same view.

I thought he had a great game at the weekend. Didnt see much of giggs in when he came on except for his one shot....i'd attribute that to Arbeloa.
    He also got forward quite a bit and got a few crosses in, added a bit of an attacking threat and managed to get back and cover.

Come on now, his crossing?

i thought his crossing at the weekend was good, and he kept Evra quiet the whole game, i thought he had an excellent match.

I thought he was the weak link in defence. He is strong in the tackle alright but his crossing is attrocious. I dare you Alan, or anyone else to show me 2 good crosses he made during the Utd game. Its not about Finnan being Irish. Its about him having alot more to offer.

I wasn't as againt the Riise sale for instance because he has proved to be a big defensive liability for a full back and I had alot of respect for him obviously.

• Advertisement

Noodler.

Finnan is just getting old.
    Plain and simple.
    You have no idea of his fitness level.
    Rafa does.

Simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement