Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you're beyond help young man :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Had a double take just there. Was on liverpoolfc.tv looking at the picture special of the lads training before the game tonight.
    1st pic on the page
    PROP080915-01-Marseille_training.jpg

fantastic pic
    PROP080915-15-Marseille_training.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Does it matter? He's gone. Go start a "Re-sign Finnan!" campaign if you like but I think you may find yourself marching alone.

There is a game tonight you know, you might even get to see Degen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Im afraid thats a playground style argument. Finnan's fitness looked pretty good in the last two internationals (thats despite them being the first two games he has played this season). So I guess we do have an idea of his fitness. End off.

Alan. Just words, you haven't even got an argument.

PiE wrote: »
    Does it matter? He's gone. Go start a "Re-sign Finnan!" campaign if you like but I think you may find yourself marching alone.

There is a game tonight you know, you might even get to see Degen.

The actual point only started with the article where Finnan admitted he didn't want to go. I remember alot of idiots around here awhile again who were arguing he probably wanted to go to Espanyol because of the weather.

What happened after that was the Rafa fanclub operating in full swing.

• Advertisement

internationals and premier league matches require totally different kinds of fitness levels, the fact you are trying to use a game against Georgia and Montenegro as reasons to have kept Finnan shows just how laughable wat you are saying actually is!

then you accuse me of not having an argument!?!

You accuse Rafa of "forcing" Finnan out implying that he has behaved awfully in the situation.

its pointed out that he has done no such thing, and just that Finnan felt he had to leave if he wanted regular games as he had (rightly) gone down in the peckng order.

You then say that it was awful to offer Finnan as part of the Riera deal, that Finnan had no idea it was coming.

we respond with "well, everyone knew he was for sale, was only in 1 preseason squad, offered to Villa in June etc"

you then say Rafa should have met him and explained his plans to Finnan but didnt bother his hole.

we point out that actually Rafa did meet Finnan, as informed to us by FINNAN!

you have no point and then accuse me of talking ****e?

you say Arbeloa has NEVER played as well as Finnan?

i point out the game at the weekend where he was excellent and his debut where he took Messi out of the match.

As with the Deegan incident (the 15-20 games you've seen him play or watever), you're talking ****e. dont accuse me of the very thing you yourself are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

noodler wrote: »
    Im afraid thats a playground style argument. Finnan's fitness looked pretty good in the last two internationals (thats despite them being the first two games he has played this season). So I guess we do have an idea of his fitness. End off.

Alan. Just words, you haven't even got an argument.

How is it playground?!!!!!!!

Finan plays in two internationals, both slow paced matches, and you compare that to 60 matches in a premiership/CL/FA/LC season?!!!!!!

You are clueless.

Do you think that managers like Rafa don't work on every single aspect of players, like I don't know, fitnes?!

Rafa's physios will know exactly what Finnan had in the tank, and you can be sure that was the main reason he was sold!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why are you even entertaining him?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    internationals and premier league matches require totally different kinds of fitness levels, the fact you are trying to use a game against Georgia and Montenegro as reasons to have kept Finnan shows just how laughable wat you are saying actually is!.

The Montenegro game was played a pretty damn fast pace. They had players easily comparable to our own (Roma, Lisbon etc) and it was pretty clear that they were a match for us on the night.

I fail to see how this game would be any easier than playaing Sunderland or Boro. Or half of the teams in the premierleague to be honest. Finnan, like many others, played excellently in that game.

Take off your specs Alan, go find some independent sources who hought Arbeloa played brilliantly against Utd. Are you 12 or something by the way? That is the way you are coming across.

This fitness thing is clearly aload of manure.

Melion wrote: »
    Why are you even entertaining him?

Because Finnan was forced out (Made leave a club he didn't want to leave).

Because Finnan is STILL better than Arbeloa.

Even being blind devoters of Rafa, they probably know deep down he does make mistakes. Being a Liverpool fan doesn't mean criticism should be outlawed..

• Advertisement

i am sailing close to betting myself banned, the patience for people like you has disappeared pretty much.

I'll leave it at this, we'll comapre Finnan and Arbeloas seasons at the seasons end and see how it goes.

I would agree with that much Alan. So far, despite the fact Finnan has onlyplayed internationals-he has loked better. Confident Finnan will come out on top even without playing in Europe and with a lesser team. You need to get off this board more often if your patience is running out. This must be the onlt Liverpool board around that reckons Arbeloa is better than Finnan.

internationals are of zero relevance, this is a LIVERPOOL thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Even being blind devoters of Rafa, they probably know deep down he does make mistakes. Being a Liverpool fan doesn't mean criticism should be outlawed..

Shít happens, Finnan is too old for the premiership and wouldnt have been able to perform to the level he has for the last few years. Young, Ronaldo etc would murder him. Lots of players have had to leave a club they didnt want to (Fowler?????).

Finnan isnt better than Arbeloa, if he was then Rafa would have kept him. I was at Anfield on Saturday, Arbeloa was brilliant but of course im sure you know better from watching it on the bar stool.

Internationals are not of Zero relevance. What a narrow view. Montenegro are at least comparable more than half the teams Liverpool have played this season.

Finnan's gam was never about blind pace, positioning, crossing and passing are all advantages he has over Arbeloa. I wasn't AT Anfield on Saturday, but my opinion of Arbeloa (not that he's crap or anything) has been based on two seasons.

I have no idea how ANYONE can think he is a good crosser, was terrible in that respecton Saturday in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you're wrong....

EDIT: Karma and Alan you're doing it wrong, noodler isnt having a discussion, he is just stating the same opinion over and over and over again. if you try and present facts or a counter argument it will obviously confuse him, so just do what he's doing and keep repeating it until he gets it...

EDIT 2: Made leave a club he didnt want to leave? are you 7? do you know how football works and that it is a business, it is rare that any player wants to leave one of the top 10 clubs in europe, but if the manager sees fit then fair enough...

Hey Noodler, I take it you agree that Ronaldo really was treated like a slave then?
    Cause obviously it's the players who decide what club they want to be at!

Internationals are not of Zero relevance.

I think internationals are of zero relevence to Liverpool football club. If Gerrard was ****e for England all the time should we drop him?

you also realise Arbeloa featured in the Spain team that won the Euros during the summer too?

Trying to offload a player to various clubs all summer is not just being sold. Funny, Finnan was only offered to clubs which we wanted to purchase a player from.

Not incluidng him in the squad, forcing the player to admit he doesn't know where he stands etc. This is foring out. Not just being sold.

I don't remember Arbeloa starting any relevant games. Did he start the academic Greece game or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ they'll be tears before bedtime.

Its a done deal move on, the guy has just washed up at the team on top of la Liga.

Mike.

Yea. does that game not count or something? an excellent performance against the defending European Champions in the European Championships is of less importance than a qualifier against Montenagro or Georgia? is that what you are trying to say?

He is second choice RB for Spain behind one of the top RBs in the world in the form of Ramos.

Noodler.
    You're a legend.

You're like our own version of Boogles.

Ever consider going over to their thread like he comes over here?
    You'd drive them nuts!

Gonna wrap this up but I must say you are really reaching unless that was a tounge in cheek comment. Defending Euro Champs? Was it not 4 years previously? Maybe a different team, possibly? It was hardly even a competitive game, neither side had anything to gain. Greece were awful in the summer.

oh god, its like hammering my head of a brick wall while having my bollox shaven by rusty blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think internationals are of zero relevence to Liverpool football club. If Gerrard was ****e for England all the time should we drop him?

you also realise Arbeloa featured in the Spain team that won the Euros during the summer too?

Nicely put. Vague and possibly decieving but nice.

Gonna wrap this up but I must say you are really reaching unless that was a tounge in cheek comment. Defending Euro Champs? Was it not 4 years previously? Maybe a different team, possibly? It was hardly even a competitive game, neither side had anything to gain. Greece were awful in the summer.

So by your logic, Montenegro don't count for anything, cause 4 years ago, they weren't even an independant country!

And as Alan said. Arbeloa is 2nd choice in the Spanish set-up.
    Spain being the defending European Champions, and probably the inform team in the World right now!Second only to one of the best right backs in world football (despite what Dunphy says!).

Finnan is first choice in the Irish set-up.
    A team that haven't qualified for a tournament in 6 years (8 if they do eventually qualify for SA).
    And his competition is Joey O'Brien!

Yeah.
    Bringing international set-ups into his really helped your argument!

not really vague. and you missed the most important part, wat i said was true :) and AT LEAST of equal relevence to two decent performances from Finnan against Montenagro and Georgia.

the european champions rate him as the second best RB they have available, he is still young and is only behind Ramos in the pecking order.....if he was irish, Trap probably wouldnt even have arsed getting Stevie out of retirement!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

its all over Setanta Sports how Danny Agger has refused to rule out buying out his contract to leave in January as he is disappointed at the lack of first team opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

he's still Awesomely Average :p

dardoz wrote: »
    its all over Setanta Sports how Danny Agger has refused to rule out buying out his contract to leave in January as he is disappointed at the lack of first team opportunities

wat the ****?! :(

the season is four games old ffs :( give it time danny lad, cant rightly drop Skrtel just cause Agger is back to full fitness, lad has put a foot wrong since his debut.

this is all i could find on it, if this is all the SSN/Setanta are running, i wouldnt be concerned, he just wants a new contract:
    LIVERPOOL are ready to reassure Daniel Agger his future remains at Anfield by offering the defender a new deal.

Reports in Agger’s homeland have claimed the Denmark international is unhappy at the club and hinted he could buy out his contract next year.

Having missed almost the whole of last season with a metatarsal problem, the 23-year-old has been restricted to just one appearance this campaign by the form of Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel and didn’t even make the bench for Saturday’s 2-1 win over Manchester United.

But Rafael Benitez believes Agger remains integral to the club’s future, with the Anfield outfit preparing a new deal for the centre-back.

Agger, who was signed for £5.8million from Brondby in 2006, will enter the final two years of his contract in the New Year.

Under the terms of the landmark Webster agreement, the centre-back could then buy out his contract for a fee quoted at around £2.8m.

“I know about the Webster ruling but I have no further comment,” Agger was quoted as saying. “I can confirm that I haven’t had an offer from the club to extend my contract yet.”

However, Liverpool are prepared to extend the player’s association to the club, and chief executive Rick Parry said yesterday: “Daniel is very important to the future of the club.”

With Sami Hyypia having been omitted Liverpool’s 25-man Champions League squad, Agger could make an appearance tonight in the opening group game against Marseille.

“Agger is in the squad,” said Benitez. “The good problem I have is we have good centre-backs here and Agger is one of the best, so he could be playing against Marseille.”

So by your logic, Montenegro don't count for anything, cause $ years ago, they weren't even an independant country!

Oh my god. What does that even mean?
    Greece were crap, Arbeloa can be a passenger in the Spain team and theyd still beat them. Telling me Arbeloa doesn't get a game for his country isn't exactly hurting my argument.

My use of the Montenegro and Georgia games was to provide a comparison to games Finnan has played this season to games Arbeloa has played this season.

dardoz wrote: »

Ahhhh.
    He can't buy out his contract!

That ruling os for players who are 28 or will be 28 druring the calander year.

DAgger is 23.

Edit: Oh, Webster agreement. Not familiar with that one.

he's still Awesomely Average :p

Surprisingly I disagree, they are just different players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

TB in the Echo today basically saying what the likes of mike65 & I were saying yesterday - i.e. that Dubai are still very much in the picture but DIC haven't really been involed in it for months and that it's Maktoum who wants the club rather than his underlings.

They're still going to sit it out for now and see what develops in relation to G&H over the next fews months.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/09/16/liverpool-still-a-traget-for-dubai-takeover-100252-21827006/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So anyway... our CL campaign kicks off properly tonight with the match against Marseille.

We have a tough enough group. On paper, we're the strongest team, but all three in the group are well capable of beating us.

Hopefully we can win our opening group games, as that will really take the pressure off us and help us maintain our momentum in the league. A situation like last year facing three must-win games was not a nice one to be in!

Oh my god. What does that even mean?
    Greece were crap, Arbeloa can be a passenger in the Spain team and theyd still beat them. Telling me Arbeloa doesn't get a game for his country isn't exactly hurting my argument.

My use of the Montenegro and Georgia games was to provide a comparison to games Finnan has played this season to games Arbeloa has played this season.

Noodler, you are hilarious.:D

Noodler, you are hilarious.:D

Stunning rebuke. You never cease to amaze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Match thread before we get in trouble.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthrea...6#post57272596

Yeah, we have to be careful. Still, I was more interested in discussing the oncoming campaign as a whole, not this particular match!

Stunning rebuke. You never cease to amaze.

Why would I need to rebut (rebuke means give out!) somebody who doesn't think that players fitness means anything to a manager?!

You're entertaining me no end.

Personally I can't see why Alan is geting mad.
    You're making my work day fly past.

You really are like Boogles.

Yeah, we have to be careful. Still, I was more interested in discussing the oncoming campaign as a whole, not this particular match!

I hate this dodgy ground!:p

I think that this CL campaign will go well.
    I can see at least another semi-final.
    We really need to hit the ground running with the group we have though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

hopefully they give Agger a new contract. he is a classy defender, he's unlucky as its probably our strongest position at the moment with Carra Skyrtle and Hyypia.
    I think he will be first choice once he gets a run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Don't think this has been mentioned before but Rushie will be in Hughes & Hughes in Pavilions, Swords at 17:30 tomorrow signing copies of his book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

have to admit i've probaby seen finnan and arbeloa have about an equal number of dodgy games under rafa, despite finnan having played significantly more.

It was time though, Finnan is getting on, and the oppertunity arose to get someone Rafa had been watching in on a free, so it just made sense to go for it and capitalise on the fact that Finnan was still worth something.

I would have preferred the club had been a bit more straight with Finnan though. Forcing him out or whatever i dont have an issue with. But. In the interview where Finnan mentioned that he had had a meeting with Rafa, he was also saying that he'd just see if he got anymore game time in preseason and see what happens, so, obviously, the meeting was far from conclusive. And as it turned out, Finnan didn't play a single game after this meeting, Rafa claimed he wasn't fit despite him being able to play the 90for ireland, and he left. I get the feeling judging by everyone's quotes that he was never actually told "you'll only be a bit part player, and thats that". Instead, again from their quotes, it seems something like "we will see what happens with how you take your chances". This would explain the 'in limbo' despite having had a meeting with the boss, and his comments about seeing what happened with the rest of preseason, if he got any gametime. He didn't get his chance, an offer came in, he wanted to play, he left.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Here are some great pics of the March on Sat,it was super to see and very well attended.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juanito74/sets/72157607312057401/show/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyway back to the CL (please!), for me this a potentially tight group, but one where whoever wins one "tie" home and away will almost certainly go through. I cannot see why Liverpool cannot beat the lot of them tbh, though Atletico will be the toughest I think. PSV tend to promise more than they deliver while Marseille will prolly flatter to deceive - win tonights game and that should be that.

Win the home games, win an away game and you're through.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

prendy wrote: »
    hopefully they give Agger a new contract. he is a classy defender, he's unlucky as its probably our strongest position at the moment with Carra Skyrtle and Hyypia.
    I think he will be first choice once he gets a run of games.

I'd cry if Agger left. I know Carra has another year or two left in him, but Agger-Skrtel could be as good a partnership as you'd find anywhere and could last for 7 or 8 years. Being sentimental about Carra would also be very wrong.

Re Finnan and Arbeloa: I firmly believe we should have treated Finnan better. Kept him as part of the squad until he was sold. However, its good that Arbeloa has found his form, and I thought he played really well v the mancs. With the purchase of Degen, and Finnan being over 30, it all makes sense.

I'd cry if Agger left. I know Carra has another year or two left in him, but Agger-Skrtel could be as good a partnership as you'd find anywhere and could last for 7 or 8 years. Being sentimental about Carra would also be very wrong.

Re Finnan and Arbeloa: I firmly believe we should have treated Finnan better. Kept him as part of the squad until he was sold. However, its good that Arbeloa has found his form, and I thought he played really well v the mancs. With the purchase of Degen, and Finnan being over 30, it all makes sense.

Finnan didn't want to be a squad player.
    He's said so himself a few times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement