Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i think he meant keep finnan in the squad till he was sold, rather then what actually happened which was that he was completely omitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i think he meant keep finnan in the squad till he was sold, rather then what actually happened which was that he was completely omitted.

Fair enough.
    I can't really argue with that.

Like I said, I loved Finnan as much as the next, I just think it was time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Hicks tried to sell the club (or part of) to the Abu Dhabi people ?

This appears to be an update on TBs article from earlier today.

Maybe he reckoned/hoped they'd pay more than what Dubai are offering

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/09/16/hicks-tried-to-get-new-manchester-city-owners-to-buy-liverpool-64375-21831639/

zing wrote: »
    Hicks tried to sell the club (or part of) to the Abu Dhabi people ?

This appears to be an update on TBs article from earlier today.

Maybe he reckoned/hoped they'd pay more than what Dubai are offering

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/09/16/hicks-tried-to-get-new-manchester-city-owners-to-buy-liverpool-64375-21831639/

I'd say he offered them a minority share, same way as he did with DIC.
    The guy just won't leave go!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thread fell off the front page - stupid mtach threads! anyway 3 points away to Marseille and 3 points home to United, I would have bitten your hand off had you offered me that Friday, so job done!

Babel looked good and very strong, think he just needs to improve his decision makign a bit, but Lucas, Dossena and Arbeloa didnt have their best games. I still think Riera has a lot to show us but he has really brought a different apsect to our game already, when was the last time we had a player who would run at the opposition defence and get down the touch line? Looking forward to the Stoke game now, hopefully Keane and Riera get a good 90 mins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

maybe i am blinded with Arbeloa, i thought he had a decent game!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought Arbeloa had his best game in a while overall. Now, can anyone explain Lucas to me?

Mike.

ha ha. hes a little riddle alright.

looks assured on the ball though and rarely gives the it away even when having a poor game (last night), but he seems unable to tackle! not sure playing in a "holding 2" really suits him.

i think Arbeloa played his best game of this season, but still not up to the standard he had previsouly set....

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha. hes a little riddle alright.

looks assured on the ball though and rarely gives the it away even when having a poor game (last night), but he seems unable to tackle! not sure playing in a "holding 2" really suits him.

he never tries much more than 5 yard passes as well, tries to keep it really simple - maybe he is lacking confidence or he knows how important it is the DM's dont give it away in the system we use. not really sure there is a place for him within the existing setup, a 4-4-2 would suit him better where he has a lot more freedom to break forward and cover more of the pitch.

i wouldnt call it Arbeloas best game of the season either, think that came on Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought Arbeloa did reasonable. But it was worrying how many clear cut chances we allowed Marseille to have in the 2nd half. Two free headers in the middle of the goal, centre forward left free in the box for the final shot that Reina saved with his legs. I don't know what went wrong, but we didnt seem near as solid as we were in the 2nd half v the mancs. Some of it can be put down to midfield giving the ball away more often, but there's more than that too. I'm genuinely worried about Delap's bullet throws on Saturday!!

I think that was the first game this season where we were clearly playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, and it went reasonably well, and I'd hope to see more of it. Certainly suited Gerrard and Babel. Torres was mediocre for him, but that'll come. And Alonso should improve things considerably when he replaces Lucas.

In a 4-2-3-1 formation and assuming Gerrard and Torres play, that only leaves two spots between Kuyt, Babel, Keane, Riera, Benayoun, (does Pennant even warrant a mention at this stage?) so it'll be interesting to see who ends up as first choice.

I think Kuyt will finally get a rest for Stoke, so I'd like to see Keane and Riera being the two this weekend. And if Babel gets at least 20 mins as a substitute, he'll run amok against the tiring defensive legs.

I really am liking the fact that we are starting to shape up. Like we had a slow start but still picked up wins & for us that normally does not happen. Last night and Saturday shows that the groin injury that Gerrard was carrying in our first few games was obviously affecting his game and in turn affecting Torres's play as we know how well they link up.

I am normally not optimistic when it comes to the league and Liverpool but if we can get a bit of a run going and if Keane can shape up & get some goals this could very well be the closest we've gotten or we could win it.

I'd like to see Hypia (to deal with the long throws), Riera (who looked very good again last night), Alonso, and Keane at the weekend.

Reina
    -Arbeloa--Skrtel---Hypia---Dossena
    Masch---Alonso
    --Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera----
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Hyypia gets a game against Stoke at the weekend. They are very dependent on long ball and especially using long throw ins. Agger just has to bide his time and he'll be grand.
    Agger and Skrtel will be the future in CB. Skrtel picks up a lot of silly yellow cards though, so Aggers chance may not come until a suspension kicks in.

Worried about what i've seen from dossena, but still plenty of time to redeem himself. He seems to be a very un-Italian defender as he seems to be better the further away from our goal he is.
    Degen should be given a run at the weekend if he's fit and ready. Stoke should really trouble us down the flanks so we should use it to settle him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

i think Agger will get a run out against Stoke on Sat. He hasnt played since standard leige away and he needs match practice as much as anyone else. With Everton the following week i think Masch should be rested too for once.

reina
    Degan --- Agger
    hyypia
    dossena

Alonso -
    Lucas

Gerrard
    Keane
    Riera
    Babel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

You just going to drop Carragher and Skrtel who have barely put a foot wrong?

I agree Hyypia might come in, but I can see him partnering Skrtel with Carragher going right full.

And Degen?!? Out of nowhere he's straight into your team. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agger will more than likely play on Saturday alright. Its been said a milion times but he can be an extra midfielder when we are playing at home against team which come to defend. Then again theres a serious case for Hyypia with Delap's aerial bombardment and their general direct style of play. I can't see both Skrtel and Carra being swapped obviously.

I just hope Keane gets off the mark-shows the level of confidence at the mo that Im not even questioning the outcome of the game. Wo

Happy with the recent form of Babel, playing a key role in wining two consecutive games.

Arbeloa was decent, tenacious in the tackle but gave away a few too many frees.

Im not sure about Lucas at all. Maybe he was the one we needed to sell for Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

podge018 wrote: »

I agree Hyypia might come in, but I can see him partnering Skrtel with Carragher going right full.

Hang on, We're playing one of the weakest teams (on paper) in the League at home after two tough games. That's a game that could be ideal for a full back who likes to attack, to make their debut. Rory delap is the Stoke left sided midfielder even though he is more of a central player, so i think Degan couldn't pick a better game to start off with.

I don't agree with bringing Agger in though. I would give either Skrtel or Carra a rest for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yep, can see Hyypia starting as well alright. Maybe Agger, but Skrtel is probably better in the air and may get the nod

• Advertisement

Degen has to play sometime. Or did we just buy him for a laugh?

Can see Hyypia starting myself. With respect to Stoke you couldn't ask for a better game when starting a run to try and get Robbie off the mark. Going to back him for first goal scorer for sure. You'd probably get 9/2 because they'll still quote Torres as favorite even though he won't play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I'd like to see us start with our best team against Stoke, murder them in the first half and them take of Torres,Gerrard and Carragher. League is the be all and end all this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For stoke i'm making a bold prediction - 4-4-2;

Arbeloa--Skrtel--Hypia--Dossena

Gerrard--Alonso
    Kuyt
    Riera
    Keane--Torres

I can see Rafa resting Torres tbh. It'll be a game with people getting stuck in and we should be able to win without Torres so why risk him before the Everton game I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For stoke i'm making a bold prediction - 4-4-2;

Arbeloa--Skrtel--Hypia--Dossena

Gerrard--Alonso
    Kuyt
    Riera
    Keane--Torres
    What the hell :eek: No goalkeeper...risky no?

Liverpool have scored 99 goals in europe now under Rafa. Some record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

monkey9 wrote: »
    Degen has to play sometime. Or did we just buy him for a laugh?

Eh we didnt buy him? He was free (and for a reason)

Liverpool have scored 99 goals in europe now under Rafa. Some record!

And Stevie G now has 99 goals to his name for us. Coincidence no?

Eh we didnt buy him? He was free (and for a reason)

Ok then, just for you. "Or did we just register him as a Liverpool player for a laugh?"

• Advertisement

And Stevie G now has 99 goals to his name for us. Coincidence no?

It's some weird masterplan by Rafa. I've got a feeling it's gonna give us possibilities, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

mike65 wrote: »
    Now, can anyone explain Lucas to me?

Mike.
    He does seem to be struggling to find his ideal role, although a couple of times in the game last night when Carragher had the ball and was lining up a punt he came to get the ball from him....for that alone I was thankful.
    Could be the type of player who needs a consistent run of games to find his form.

Lucas, for me, is better as an attacking player than as a holding one

Ok then, just for you. "Or did we just register him as a Liverpool player for a laugh?"

Yes, yes we did. :D

Just because a player is registered doesnt mean he is gonna get games. Steven Irwin is named in the Champions League squad but I dont expect him to feature much. If Rafa doesnt deem him good enough to play, then he's not good enough and theres a lot of decent players ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Degen has been injured. I think the Marseille game was the first one for which he was available as fully fit.

I wonder might he get a run out with the reserves tonight...

Hopefully we'll see Pacheco, Nemeth and Ngog all get a start.

Just because a player is registered doesnt mean he is gonna get games. Steven Irwin is named in the Champions League squad but I dont expect him to feature much. If Rafa doesnt deem him good enough to play, then he's not good enough and theres a lot of decent players ahead of him in the pecking order.

How many decent right backs are ahead of the player that you've never really seen?:rolleyes:
    Degen hasn't played for us yet, cause he['s injured.
    He did play pre-season.
    He didn't play most of last season, cause, again, he was injured.
    Rafa supposedly has been monitoring him for a while, and when he saw that his contract was coming to an end, made it known he was interested on a free.
    Degen imediately turned down the contract renewal he was offered.

None of us know how good Degen will be, but at the moment he's definately second choice RB when fit.

Arbeloa
    Degen
    Carra (brilliant at rightback but not going forward)
    Darby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Steven Irwin wouldn't be on the same wages Degen gets, at a guess maybe a a million a year. A substantial amount of money to shell out on a player that won't play any games.

Rafa obviously bought him for a reason, I don't think anyone here can make a judgement how good or bad the lad is without having seen him play, I know a few people here follow the German league so they are probably in a better position to comment.

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here can make a judgement how good or bad the lad is without having seen him play.

except Noodler :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought Degen also plays on the right flank?

Cover for Kuyt also....you know how Rafa likes his players versatile.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I thought Degen also plays on the right flank?

Cover for Kuyt also....you know how Rafa likes his players versatile.

He started his career as a right winger, but has spent the last few years as more of a wing back.
    Going forward is deffinately his strong suit however.

on that note, wat about

Reina
    ----Skertl-Hypia--Agger

Masch-Alonso
    Deegan
    Gerrard
    Dossena
    Torres----Keane

or some such lark.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    on that note, wat about

Reina
    ----Skertl-Hypia--Agger

Masch-Alonso
    Deegan
    Gerrard
    Dossena
    Torres----Keane

or some such lark.

It would work against some teams, but I think I remember Dosenna saying in an inteview when he joined, that Rafa told him we wouldn't be playing three accross the back.

Jermaine Pennant and David Ngog are both included in the starting XI as Gary Ablett names a strong reserve side for tonight's Barclays Premier reserve League North clash in Sunderland - a match you can watch live on LFC TV.
    The Reds' second-string got the defence of their title off to an impressive start with a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough a fortnight ago and they will be hoping for a similar return from their latest trip to the North-east where they will face Sunderland at the Eppleton Colliery Welfare ground in Hetton le Hole tonight.

The match kicks off at 7pm BST but you can enjoy all the pre-match build-up from 6.15pm where presenter Matt Critchley will be joined in the studio by John Durnin and David Johnson while Reds legend David Fairclough will form part of our commentary team in the north-east to help guide you through the full 90 minutes of action.

The Liverpool team in full:

Dean Bouzanis
    Stephen Darby (Captain)
    Emiliano Insua
    Mikel San Jose Dominguez
    Ronald Huth
    Damien Plessis
    Jermaine Pennant
    Jay Spearing
    David Ngog
    Daniel Pacheco
    Nabil El Zhar

Substitutes:
    Gerardo Bruna
    Peter Gulacsi
    Ryan Flynn
    Jordy Brouwer
    Martin Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

any ideas how hard it would be to get tickets for the athletico away game. Thinking of heading over to madrid for a short break and would be cool to see the game whilst there.

sweetie wrote: »
    any ideas how hard it would be to get tickets for the athletico away game. Thinking of heading over to madrid for a short break and would be cool to see the game whilst there.

You a fan card holder (old or new), or a member of Irishkop?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

According to someone on Irishkop 'home' tickets for the athletico game were on sale the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Yes because its Stoke @ Anfield. Hyypia and Agger would be more than capable of handling the strikers of Stoke. As another poster said, Degan has to play sometime and an attacking full back against one of the weakest teams in the league is a good way to break him into the squad. Mascherano would be rested as he's had a hetic schedule since the Olympics. Lucas needs to build confidence so playing him in consecutive games will help him. With Gerrard, Keane, Babel and Riera they should have enough firepower to deal with Stoke's defensive setup. Kuyt has played every game I think so he'll need to be given a break too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

podge018 - its a squad game not a team game. Liverpool will be presuming to fight on 4 fronts, careful management of resources is vital.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Still, it's crucial that we beat Stoke and keep our momentum going, or that victory last weekend could end up meaning nothing.

It's only September, and there's plenty of football ahead of us. No need for changes just for changes sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Sure Liverpool are playing Crewe in the Carling cup soon enough. We could feck around with the team then without feeling too nervous. :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement