Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

astrofool wrote: »
    I think that would be far too narrow a formation against a big team, their centre backs will mop it up all day.

yes but ya see if u only put the front 6 down on paper thats all u have to think about....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

PHB wrote: »
    Babel is still massively inconsistant. Scores spectacular goals, but doesn't score enough of them yet. Quite like Nani actually. But I wouldn't want Nani starting out for United, not for 1-3 more years.

I don't necessarily think that Downing is much better to be honest, but if you look at it this way

United's front 4 next season:
    Berbatov
    -Rooney
    Tevez
    Ronaldo--

Chelsea:
    Drogba
    -Malouda
    Deco
    Cole----

Arsenal:
    Adebayour
    Van Persie
    -Rosicky
    Nasri---

Can you really tell me you think Babel is good enough? You might say he's as good as Malouda, maybe so, but Chelsea want to bloody replace both their wingers cause they don't think they are good enough.

Liverpool need somebody of top quality for their attack, even after Keane. Pretty much every post at the end of last season agreed you needed at least 2 more attackers.

Are you honestly saying that you think nasri is better than babel!! What makes you think this? He is untested in the premiership so is a year behind babel surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

colly10 wrote: »
    It looks great on paper but Babel was awfull any time I seen him played on the right last season

You should try watching more often then.;)

Babel was raw, and inconsistant, but he was far from awfull.

He also scored 10 goals in all competitions, which is more than say.....Ronaldo (the best player in the world remember!:rolleyes:) scored in his first two seasons combined!!!

Babel on form is more than most defences can handle and he steadily improved as the season progressed.
    He'll play a big part this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Assuming Keane comes, Alonso stays and Barry doesnt come.

Mascherano
    Alonso

Keane
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Torres

They might actually line out like this.

Mascherano
    Alonso

Gerrard
    Babel

Keane
    Torres

If Barry comes he will simply replace Alonso and Alonso will be sold. I can't see a situation where having Alonso and Barry on the pitch at the same time makes any sense. Barry is clearly better as a left-sided CM as opposed to a LW or LB. He can play LW or LB but they aren't his best position - left-sided CM is. I don't understand the people who have him in a CM pairing with Masch with Masch on the left - utter lunacy.If we signed him that's where I'd expect to see him 90% of the time - alongside Masch, providing balance, as a central two in front of the back four providing cover allowing the full backs to get forward, making the sensible balls to the four out and out attacking players in front of them. Also if the chance presents itself getting forward and chipping in with the odd goal or ten. Currently with the Alonso & Masch centre two, I feel defences can almost ignore them and say - well that's not much chance of either of them getting forward and scoring, so we can concentrate the majority of our defensive efforts on the other four players. This is expecially the case with sides coming to Anfield playing defensively and hoping to nick a point.

Also I'm not sure if Keane would play as the RW perhaps a hybrid RW/FW i.e maybe narrower in and on the shoulder of Gerrard and Torres. A bit concerned about the width implications but hopefully the full backs will assist with that.

I don't think Voronin will be sold for £3m - I think Rafa is likely to keep him around another season as cover ( and hopefully only as emergency cover)

With my first choice six, Kuyt is the player it probably looks harshest on but when it's a case of Keane or Kuyt - Keane has to get the nod.

Also in terms of backup keeping the same formation we have the following players as backup . Leto and Plessis are the two that look the least experienced in this case. Fingers crossed Plessis to build on last season and get some decent game time. Also Leto gets a chance work permit allowing.

Plessis
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Leto

Keane

Also I think Babel will make a big improvement this season - sometimes I think people forget he's still only a young lad. I remember an interview he did around April when he said that only around then did he feel like he was approaching the full fitness levels necessary to perform for ninety minutes. He was saying how much of a step up the English game was in terms of physical effort from what he had been used to previously. Given his undoubted talent and ability, I'm expecting we'll see a lot more of him this season. I definately don't want to see him on the right-wing - I want him to spend the majority of the time on the LW with the odd appearance up front.

However as the man himself says it's all about the options and Keane definatley adds greatly to out attacking options.

Carson to WBA - for £3.25m rising to £4m

Very poor price tbh - not that happy:(

If it wasnt for Steve Umbrella we might have got £10m from Villa for him instead.:(

Given his age and potential WBA could have scored a major bargain. Hope to funk we have a decent sell-on clause (e.g. 40% in that contract)

Also still no word on a deal for Itandje - Have Galatasary kidnapped him or what? After doing some research the best I could find was that Gala haven't signed a new keeper this summer and they have ben linked to a few (Sorensen at one stage) so it looks like they were definately in the market.
    Skysports.com can confirm West Brom have won the race to sign Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson.

The Baggies have beaten off interest from a host of clubs to sign the England international.

Liverpool decided to let Carson leave after bringing in Brazilian Diego Cavaleri as cover for No.1 Jose Reina.

Stoke agreed a fee with Liverpool earlier this week and held talks with Carson only to pull out of the move on Thursday.

West Brom also negotiated a fee with Liverpool for Carson and the former Leeds custodian has agreed a four-year deal at The Hawthorns.

Carson's agent Colin Gordon has confirmed the deal has been done to bring Carson to West Brom.

"The deal has been done," Gordon told skysports.com.

"Scott has signed a four-year deal with West Brom.

"They will pay £3.25million which will rise to £4million for Scott."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3834350,00.html

Just the TB piece quoted earlier in its entirety.
    Liverpool FC close to deal for Robbie Keane
    Jul 18 2008 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL will look to tie up a deal for Robbie Keane in the next 48 hours after Tottenham gave up the struggle to keep their star player at White Hart Lane.

The chances of Rafa Benitez getting his man were boosted significantly last night when Spurs boss Juande Ramos admitted for the first time he is likely to have to cash in on some of his big names in an effort to balance the books.

With boyhood Reds fan Keane desperate to move to Anfield and Benitez equally keen on signing him, the move is likely to happen sooner rather than later given the Liverpool manager's desire to be able to work with his new signings at the earliest possible opportunity.

There is now an acceptance at Tottenham that Keane will get his dream move and yesterday's comments from Ramos were a clear attempt by the manager to prepare the club's fans for the departure of their hero.

Speaking at Spurs' pre-season training camp in Spain, Ramos admitted it was possible that he would have to sell both Keane and Dimitar Berbatov to cover his own outlay on players since taking the White Hart Lane hot seat earlier this year.

He said: "We will see what happens there, but we are talking about two very important players.

"For the moment they are with us, but whatever happens the idea is to have a great squad, with the potential to allow us to aim to improve on what we managed last season.
    We have to be realistic and see what we are starting with and who we are competing against.

"There are some big clubs who have spent a lot of money over many years and have a certain advantage. In fact they claim they want to sign some of our players.

"At Tottenham, we have had a clear philosophy regarding buying and selling for years. The idea is signing young players, promising and talented ones, and if important offers for older players are made, studying it to see what is the best for the club."

Keane, having turned 28 a fortnight ago and with a value estimated by his own club to be in the region of £20m, clearly falls into the category of an older player who could be sold at a significant profit, having been brought to Spurs for just £7m by then manager Glenn Hoddle in 2002.

Liverpool are hoping to get their man for lower than the price Spurs want for him but know they will have to come up with a substantial offer approaching that figure if they are to get their wish of Keane becoming their player ahead of Tuesday's friendly against Hertha Berlin.

With 169 goals in 352 career games to his name, Keane has earned a reputation as one of the Premiership's most feared forwards and his status in international football is similarly compelling given the fact that he is already the Republic of Ireland's record goalscorer with 33 goals in 80 appearances.

Having already been involved in transfers costing almost £40m, Keane's expected move to Anfield would make him one of the most costly players in the history of football.

Once Liverpool have sealed that deal they will again turn their attentions back to Gareth Barry who, like Keane, has set his heart on signing for Liverpool.

Barry returned to training with Aston Villa on Wednesday, having been exiled by manager Martin O'Neill, but the combination of his desire to quit the club and a minor ankle injury means the 27-year-old will not be part of Villa's squad for their Intertoto Cup clash with Odense in Denmark this weekend.

The England international has held clear the air talks with O'Neill - which were described as "cordial and positive” by Barry's agent Eric Black - giving Liverpool renewed hope that O'Neill might finally be willing to bring the long-running saga to a close by agreeing to a compromise deal which would suit all parties.

Meanwhile, Stoke have pulled out of the race for Scott Carson after learning that Liverpool's wantaway keeper would prefer a move to West Brom.

Given his age and potential WBA could have scored a major bargain. Hope to funk we have a decent sell-on clause (e.g. 40% in that contract)

Supposedly it's a buy back clause we have.
    As in we can buy him back for the same price, or slightly higher, at our choosing.

Rafa obviously sees him as having what it takes to be our first choice one day.

Supposedly it's a buy back clause we have.
    As in we can buy him back for the same price, or slightly higher, at our choosing.

Rafa obviously sees him as having what it takes to be our first choice one day.

That would expain the low price being received now. Makes sense in that case. Even if we don't want him as first choice keeper in the future we can control where he goes next and we get any appreciation in his value. In the meantime WBA get themselves a decent PL keeper. Suppose. Real Madrid come in with a £20m offer in three years. We go to WBA ok we'll be buying him back now for £4.5m and then sell him on to Real for £20m. Even if it's not Real at £20m even if's it someone like Newcastle at £8m. However if his value doesnt appreciate he's a WBA player and they can pay his wages. Fingers crossed we'll get confirmation of this buy-back clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

You should try watching more often then.;)

Babel was raw, and inconsistant, but he was far from awfull.

He also scored 10 goals in all competitions, which is more than say.....Ronaldo (the best player in the world remember!:rolleyes:) scored in his first two seasons combined!!!

Babel on form is more than most defences can handle and he steadily improved as the season progressed.
    He'll play a big part this season.

Im not argueing with ye, I like Babel, notice that I said ON THE RIGHT. He has been shocking anytime i've seen him play on the right wing, I just don't like the idea of playing Barry on the left if it means moving Babel to the right. Id say he'd be poor there all season. I recon he'll do well for us on the left next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

That would expain the low price being received now. Makes sense in that case. Even if we don't want him as first choice keeper in the future we can control where he goes next and we get any appreciation in his value. In the meantime WBA get themselves a decent PL keeper. Suppose. Real Madrid come in with a £20m offer in three years. We go to WBA ok we'll be buying him back now for £4.5m and then sell him on to Real for £20m. Even if it's not Real at £20m even if's it someone like Newcastle at £8m. However if his value doesnt appreciate he's a WBA player and they can pay his wages. Fingers crossed we'll get confirmation of this buy-back clause.
    Great plan but slightly scuppered by the "can't be registered for 3 clubs within 12 months rule"
    Good clause to have though should he fulfill his potential.

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    Im not argueing with ye, I like Babel, notice that I said ON THE RIGHT. He has been shocking anytime i've seen him play on the right wing, I just don't like the idea of playing Barry on the left if it means moving Babel to the right. Id say he'd be poor there all season. I recon he'll do well for us on the left next year

Sorry man, completely missread you.
    You're right about him playing mainly from the right.
    He likes to cut inside, and has no left foot to do so from the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A buy back clause is usually that you have first refusal if the player is to be sold, not that you can buy them back at the same price (which as noted above, would be ridiculous).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,312 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it can be at an agreed price tho (i think it usually is)

astrofool wrote: »
    A buy back clause is usually that you have first refusal if the player is to be sold, not that you can buy them back at the same price (which as noted above, would be ridiculous).

No, a buy-back clause stipulates that price that you get to but him back at.

A first option clause, is called a.....first option clause!!!;)

Real Madrid have a buy-back clause with De La Red for something like £8,000,000.
    They sold him to Getaffe, but can buy him back at any time, and if Getaffe want to sell him to somebody else, they have to accept an offer of £8,000,000 from Real, even if the other club is offering £20,000,000.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

buy back clauses tend to have a price agreed during the sale,
    while first refusal tends to be an agreement made without any sale ie. if we made a deal to sell alonso to valencia and part of deal gave us first refusal on silva but in this case we have no guarantees over the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

PELLEGRINO PROUD TO BE RED AGAIN http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160575080718-1415.htm
    Paul Hassall in Switzerland 18 July 2008

Mauricio Pellegrino has revealed he feels a great sense of pride to be back at Liverpool and is hoping he can now go on and play an important part in the future success of the club.
    The former Reds defender returned to Anfield as a first-team coach last month and has now spoken for the first time about his new role at the team's pre-season training camp in Interlaken.

The Argentinean, who played 12 times for the Reds back in 2005, admits it was a great surprise to receive the call from the boss but he is now focused on giving his all for the Liverpool cause.

"I am really proud and pleased because for me it is a nice opportunity to work for this club again," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"Rafa has shown his trust in me once again and I'll try to do the best for the club and do my best to repay him.

"It was a surprise to get the call because I was training with the youth team in Valencia and studying to finish my qualification to become a professional trainer.

"But when Rafa got in touch I knew I had to act quickly and after I had talked to my family and they told me they understood, it was a great opportunity that I could not turn down.

"I will try to do as much as I can for this club and I hope to enjoy working with the Liverpool players."

It's three years since the 36-year-old last represented the club as a player and, although he admits his role is now different, he has been pleased to have been welcomed back to Melwood by some familiar faces.

"It has changed a lot since I was last at Liverpool," he said.

"There are maybe 15 new players but the medical staff and people who work in Melwood are the same.

"There's still the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Sami, Alonso and Finnan - but the rest are new faces.

"It's a different sensation for me. My work has changed completely, my role at the club is very different and every day I am thinking about how I can improve our team; whereas before, when I was player, I would just focus on what I was doing in the session."

100% made of legend welcome back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from, but in Ronaldos first season he scored 6 goals in all comps, 9 in the second.
    mormank wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that you think nasri is better than babel!! What makes you think this? He is untested in the premiership so is a year behind babel surely

In terms of an attacking system, yes I do. Nasri for me, from what i've seen, has more in his locker than Babel, in terms of how the system will work out for them.

The point remains though that even Arsenal fans consider that area to be their weakness. Nasri is meant to fix it as a new signing.

Malouda and the wings are clearly Chelsea weakness, and they are fixing it.

Liverpool still have that weakness even after Keane, and they need to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That guy Plessis certainly didn't lack any confidence against Tranmere. Demanding the ball off his teammates. Benayoun's good enough for the first team though imo and should be starting more regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

if we get keane who would you start benni instead of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mayordenis wrote: »
    100% made of legend welcome back.

Maybe a Valencia legend, but definitely not a Liverpool one. One of the poorest defneders I've seen in a Liverpool shirt.
    Obviously Rafa sees something in him as regards to coaching.
    Anywho, as you say welcome back and I hope he does much much better in his new role.
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    That guy Plessis certainly didn't lack any confidence against Tranmere. Demanding the ball off his teammates.

I didn't see the Tranmere game, but was very impressed by him against Arsenal at the Emirates last season.

I'm not sure where you are getting your facts from, but in Ronaldos first season he scored 6 goals in all comps, 9 in the second.

Sorry, my mistake the stats I was looking at didn't include the FA Cup, where Ronaldo scored 6 goals in the two years in question.

I was reading his stats of 9 goals over the two years in the Prem.

If I wanted to be really pedantic, I could point out that Babel didn't score in the FA Cup, and so he scored more goals in his first year in all other competitions than Ronaldo did in two, but even I'm not that pedantic!!!:P

My point was more along the lines that you can't look at his first season, and say that he's not a viable threat.

Babel has all the qualities to hurt any defence out there.
    He has ridiculous pace, can pull off the odd trick, and has a right foot that almost matches Riise's left.
    Even more importantly, he's hungry.
    He wants to be the best, and has the confidence to think he can be.

Last season he took a long time to adjust to the prem, but towards the end he really started to show what he's capable of.

If he has a good run over in China, I really expect him to prove imself on the pitch next sesaon when he gets back.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Maybe a Valencia legend, but definitely not a Liverpool one. One of the poorest defneders I've seen in a Liverpool shirt.
    Obviously Rafa sees something in him as regards to coaching.
    Anywho, as you say welcome back and I hope he does much much better in his new role.

even then he was only brought into the team to teach the other players the rafa way in regards to zonal marking, and also apparently brilliant on the psychology side. 100% made of Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm not doubting his talent. I'm just doubting whether or not he can deliver next season. If United's title push rested on Nani being a starter what would you think?

I'm not doubting his talent. I'm just doubting whether or not he can deliver next season. If United's title push rested on Nani being a starter what would you think?

True, but I hardly think that our title push is resting on Babel.

If Utd's 4 main attacker this season were Ronaldo, Rooney, Tezez, and Nani, then I'd hardly say it rested on Nani.
    Just like If Liverpools main attacking threat was Torres, Keane, Gerrard, and Babel, then it's not resting on Babel.

I can see what you mean, and if Babel does have a similar season to last then Liverpool would be in trouble attacingwise, but personally I think he'll be a lot better.
    You don't and fair enough.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

prendy wrote: »
    if we get keane who would you start benni instead of?
    Mascherano, Barry, Gerrard, Benayoun, Keane, Torres. So I guess I'd start him ahead of Lucas, Babel and Kuyt. Assuming Alonso is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

LIVERPOOL will look to tie up a deal for Robbie Keane in the next 48 hours after Tottenham gave up the struggle to keep their star player at White Hart Lane.

I don't believe Spurs were ever "struggling" to keep Keane at WHL...I am led to believe Keane told Daniel Levy he would like to go to Liverpool but that the decision was Levy/Commoli/Ramos's to make and he would abide by their decision.

The club made their mind up on a price, it appears Liverpool are willing to pay that price (using the Crouch transfer fee plus extra).

I am of the opinion that Ramos did not see Keane as the player he wants to build his forward line around.

Spurs ITKs confirm the deal will be completed in next 48hr, with £18m the price agreed.

Just letting anyone interested know that there is a documentary on AFC Liverpool starting on Liverool fctv right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs ITKs confirm the deal will be completed in next 48hr, with £18m the price agreed.

Hope thats true I've got 40 euro riding on it! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

That guy Plessis certainly didn't lack any confidence against Tranmere. Demanding the ball off his teammates. Benayoun's good enough for the first team though imo and should be starting more regularly.

You must have seen a diffrent CL semi last year to me... he was awful

• Advertisement

Agreed one bad match proves it!!
    get rid. . . . .

witnessmenow
    get rid. . . . .

Yeah, in fact, lets shoot him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

That guy Plessis certainly didn't lack any confidence against Tranmere. Demanding the ball off his teammates. .

i thought the same after the arsenal game last year!

im not saying he's close to being first team but he's the first liverpool midfielder since alonso of about two years ago, to constantly demand the ball from the back four!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,312 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

SSN reporting that spurs have reported pool and man u to the premier league

Cyrus wrote: »
    SSN reporting that spurs have reported pool and man u to the premier league

Which basically means that Spurs have agreed terms with Liverpool, and want to appease their fans at "Big bad Liverpools (and Utd with Berba)" expense.

I hear that Liverpool and Utd invented Small pox too!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I hear that Liverpool and Utd invented Small pox too!:rolleyes:

Not true,that was just UTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tottenham have complained to the Premier League over Manchester United and Liverpool's pursuit of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane.

Sir Alex Ferguson's comments that he expects a deal to go through for Berbatov have infuriated Spurs as has Rafael Benitez's interest in Keane.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy singled out United boss Ferguson for criticism.

"It is unbelievably hypocritical given his comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid," Levy said.

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player.

I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either

"Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of Premier League rules of conduct."

Ferguson announced on Friday that United had made Tottenham an offer for 27-year-old Berbatov and that he was confident that the deal would go through.

Benitez admitted earlier this month that he was interested in bringing Keane, 28, to Anfield this summer.

But it was Ferguson's comments that prompted Levy to speak out about the attempts to unsettle his strikers.

"Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players.

"It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date

"As a result, we have today made an official complaint to the Premier League about the conduct of Manchester United.

"Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the Premier League about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either."

The Premier League confirmed they had received Tottenham's official complaints in relation to breaches of the Premier League rules K3 and K8.

The next step will see the Premier League board write to all parties before deciding whether to take further action.

United issued a brief response to Tottenham's claims with a spokesman saying: "We are aware of the allegation and will co-operate with the Premier League as necessary."

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not true,that was just UTD.

Ahh.
    That makes sense.

I'm sure that Rafa did grow the goatee however, so he can twiddle his mustache while he laughs manically after tying a beautifull young woman (a Tottenham supporter of course) to the railway tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

also not sure if this was mentioned but Adam Hamill signed a three year contract yesterday and has been sent out to loan to Blackpool for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

get rid. . . . .

Big, big game, and any one of us would have played better. I know he set up the goal, but that was literally the only time in the whole match he did anything remotely productive with the ball. Not exactly what you want out of player

He's not the worst player in the world, but he souldn't be near our starting XI, backup at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

As for all the complaints about Keanes celebration.

He hasn't done it in over a year, has said that he doesn't do it any more, and when asked about it by a journalist, said that he'll only bring it out of retirement if he scored in the League Cup final.
    Which he didn't.

Happy now?

Yes.
    Big, big game, and any one of us would have played better.

We would alright. :cool::rolleyes::P:D

even then he was only brought into the team to teach the other players the rafa way in regards to zonal marking, and also apparently brilliant on the psychology side. 100% made of Legend.

Legend = Pellegrino played 12 games on a 6 month contract
    Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

he mayn not have been great for us as a player but the players by all accounts loved him and specifically he was brought in to teach zonal defence.
    Also as recounted in a season on the brink,he collected the discarded champions league losers medals and gave them to the young members of the squad.
    Rafa seems to trust him so he will have more confidence in his backroom this season

Deadskin, you don't sem to appriciate that Pellegrino being at the club gave Hyypia the time he needed to recover fitness for the CL campaign. In fact thats why a defender was brought in, Pelle got the nod cos Rafa know him and that he could teach the back line about Rafas prefered approach in defending.

Mike.

But Mike, Legend?

Leg-end is in the eye of the beholder.

Mike.

^^ so true Mike, so true.

Anywho, from the BBC, more news on Alonso
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7515142.stm
    Inter Milan will make a move for Liverpool's Xabi Alonso if they fail in their bid to prise Frank Lampard away from Chelsea. (Channel 4 Football Italia, 1103 BST)

And
    Gareth Barry has reaffirmed his desire to quit Aston Villa and join Liverpool. (Daily Mirror)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would prefer if both stories went away now. xabi has already said he does not want to go to italy and MON is just taking the piss at villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Caron sold for 3.25m to West Brom.

Sold
    Crouch 11
    Riise 4
    Carson 3.25
    Guthrie 2.5
    Le Tallic 1

TOTAL: 21.75

Very likely to be sold
    Itandje - 2
    Finnan - 2
    Alonso - 15

TOTAL: 19

Possibly will be sold
    Pennant - 5
    Voronin - 3

TOTAL: 8

GRAND TOTAL IN: 49M

Bought
    Dossena - 6.8m
    Cavalieri - 3
    Degen - free
    Saric - 0.9

TOTAL: 10.7

Very likely to be bought
    Keane - 18m
    Barry - 17m

TOTAL 35m

GRAND TOTAL OUT: 45.7

What does the above tell us ? First of all, as it stands, we have generated 11m surplus from player sales.

If we sell Pennant and Voronin, we will have roughly 4m over after all the above transfers. If we keep them, we will have a net spend of 4m.

From the looks of things, Rafas entire budget is from player sales. He may buy a wide player for around 14m (specially if Pennant & Voronin are sold). If this happens, he will have spent a net amount of 10m..which is tiny.

IN
    Dossena LB
    Cavalieri GK
    Degen RB
    Saric RT
    Barry CM
    Keane ST
    Winger 14m

OUT
    Riise LB
    Finnan RB
    Carson GK
    Itandje GK
    Alonso CM
    Crouch ST
    Pennant RW
    Voronin ST
    Guthrie RT
    Le Tallic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can hear it now on Sky Sports - "Rafa Benitez is under extreme pressure to win the league after spending over £50 million during the summer transfer window".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement