Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sure Liverpool are playing Crewe in the Carling cup soon enough. We could feck around with the team then without feeling too nervous. :cool:

Barnsley;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

SantryRed wrote: »
    Barnsley;)

I did say 'too nervous':o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think degan will start the game v stoke, he's only back from injury so i'd be thinking he'll get 20-30 minutes of the game.Really hope agger gets a game i know skrtel and carra are doing well but it should v marseille that there is a lack of pace in our defence! I'll give Dossena another few games before i judge him.

Reira has impressed me so far. He has excellent control, doesn't have a lot of pace but he is well able to pass a player ad has a good delivery too.

i'd say the 3 man attack will be reira, torres and keane. Rafa knows at this stage how important it is to keep up this momentum.

How come Nemeth isn't in the reserve sqaud?? Injured??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

tok9 wrote: »
    Reira has impressed me so far. He has excellent control, doesn't have a lot of pace but he is well able to pass a player ad has a good delivery too.

Only two games in but he's looked very good. I particularly like the way he takes players on (and can beat them). Both he and Babel looking good so far.
    i'd say the 3 man attack will be reira, torres and keane. Rafa knows at this stage how important it is to keep up this momentum.

How come Nemeth isn't in the reserve sqaud?? Injured??

Nemeth picked up a knock playing for hungary there. Not sure if he'll be back in time for the League Cup match. For Stoke I'd like to see Babel up there with Reira, Torres and Keane with Xabi and Gerrard in the middle.

Babel Gerrard Alonso Reira
    Torres Keane

With an eye to taking Torres and Gerrard off early if the job gets done. Would push Babel up top with Kuyt filling in and trying Lucas as a box to box midfielder for a half instead of Gerrard. It's some team for tinkering with:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Mr Alan wrote: »
    on that note, wat about

Reina
    ----Skertl-Hypia--Agger

Masch-Alonso
    Deegan
    Gerrard
    Dossena
    Torres----Keane

or some such lark.

That would actually become more defensive than you can see from that picture. It would end up being a 5-3-2... It could work if you had Babel for Dossena though, and El Zhar for Deegan. But does Raja have the cahones to go all out attack like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

oobydooby wrote: »
    Only two games in but he's looked very good. I particularly like the way he takes players on (and can beat them). Both he and Babel looking good so far.

For Stoke I'd like to see Babel up there with Reira, Torres and Keane with Xabi and Gerrard in the middle.

Well ya really he's only played a match worth but as i said so far i'm impressed, more so considering the pessimistic view of this thread and even skysports.... i remember on transfer deadline day, one of them saying that he didn't think reira was worth it! That's whats most pleasing so far.

Forgot to mention that Alonso has to start... we need someone like him to give a few attacking passes and to control the tempo.

Sound for the Nemeth info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

You a fan card holder (old or new), or a member of Irishkop?

eh, no unfortunately. Have looked at the website but it's in spanish! they don't seem to be available yet according to the site.
    I've wanted to visit madrid for a while so I may book flights and chance it regarding tickets. A mate was there recently for
    athletico v schalke and got them outside ( i know torres return will mean it'll be a bigger game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161355080918-0628.htm

Liverpool reserves lost 2-1. El Zhar scored for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

will this situation with RBS have any ramifications for our "custodians"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mr Alan wrote: »

RBS are fine. They arent as badly leveraged as HBOS but the recent situation will have an effect on H&G trying to refinance. The basically wont be able to as even banks are refusing to lend to each other at the moment which should force there hand in terms of selling the club.

So in summary you may have a little longer to wait but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sunderland are the reserves bogie team. Still, they were going to loose a game at some point. Looking foreaerd to the Crewe game in League Cup. Rafa can put out a very strong team without troubling too many of the "First 11".

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

sweetie wrote: »
    eh, no unfortunately. Have looked at the website but it's in spanish! they don't seem to be available yet according to the site.
    I've wanted to visit madrid for a while so I may book flights and chance it regarding tickets. A mate was there recently for
    athletico v schalke and got them outside ( i know torres return will mean it'll be a bigger game)

I'd imagine that the tickets would be harder to come by alright.
    I fully expect it to be sold out.
    You can apply for tickets then.
    50/50 you'd get one I'd say.

Killme00 wrote:
    Mr Alan wrote:

RBS are fine. They arent as badly leveraged as HBOS but the recent situation will have an effect on H&G trying to refinance. The basically wont be able to as even banks are refusing to lend to each other at the moment which should force there hand in terms of selling the club.

So in summary you may have a little longer to wait but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Exactly, RBS are less and less likely to agree to any refinancing that doesn't involve the Yanks putting a fair wedge of their own money in.
    And I'm talking a lot more than the 10% they were forced into last time.
    G&H will have to sell in Jan, or risk loosing money rather than making it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think Rafa should do a Wenger and put out the younger players for the Carling Cup. We would have a really decent team.

Cavallari

Darby
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua

Lucas---Plessis

El Zhar
    Pacheco
    Babel

N'gog/Nemeth

That team would have a pretty low average age but would do well in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Seen Ian Rush signing his book in Easons today. About 4 people there. Some guy in a wheelchair giving out that he wouldn't sign his jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

podge018 wrote: »
    Seen Ian Rush signing his book in Easons today. About 4 people there. Some guy in a wheelchair giving out that he wouldn't sign his jersey.

Jeez poor Rushie. met him on Sat at Anfield. seemed like a decent bloke, no problem with piccies/autographs. At a book signing if he was to sign everything and anything not many would buy the book.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Jeez poor Rushie. met him on Sat at Anfield. seemed like a decent bloke, no problem with piccies/autographs. At a book signing if he was to sign everything and anything not many would buy the book.

Yup, book signings usually only allow you to get the book signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sure, he's signing in Swords. Probably would have had a better crowd if it was in O'Connell St

It's a slow day on this thread today, hey?

Reina

Skrtel
    Agger
    Carragher----

Alonso----Mascherano

---Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

That's a really nice fluid, balanced attacking Liverpool side, I'd almost pay to watch that side... :pac:

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »

Reina

Skrtel
    Agger
    Carragher----

Alonso----Mascherano

---Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

That's a really nice fluid, balanced attacking Liverpool side, I'd almost pay to watch that side... :pac:

could be wrong but I thought Babel usually plays on the left ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Reina

Skrtel
    Agger
    Carragher----

Alonso----Mascherano

---Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

Should stick another striker in, even though it's only Stoke.:D

could be wrong but I thought Babel usually plays on the left ?

Yes he does, but I can't remember what foot he uses, if he is right footed, playing him on the right means more width, and the same with Riera. They can also alternate ala Barca to confuse defenders, and change from having lots of width, to cutting inside to take on the shot.
    ibh wrote: »
    Should stick another striker in, even though it's only Stoke.:D

No need really, the 3 behind Torres are all capable of scoring plenty of goals and setting up plenty more. And then you might get the odd one from Alonso and the defenders.. Thats plenty attacking, adding another striker would just upset the balance on the wings or in the centre of the midfield.

No need really, the 3 behind Torres are all capable of scoring plenty of goals and setting up plenty more. And then you might get the odd one from Alonso and the defenders.. Thats plenty attacking, adding another striker would just upset the balance on the wings or in the centre of the midfield.

I was referring to the fact that there are only 10 on that team...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Reina

Skrtel
    Agger
    Carragher----

Alonso----Mascherano

---Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

Rafa must go:mad:...Only playing ten men. Hicks and Gillete where right all along. Bring in Klinsman:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Reina

Skrtel
    Agger
    Carragher----

Alonso----Mascherano

---Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

Could use an extra player.... just to amke up the numbers...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

well...Keane does tend to go missing for spells in matches from time to time. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

And im off again, tickets all sorted for PSV at Anfield.

ROFL! I was thinking of a 3-4-3, and then changed it to a 3-5-1.. How retarded... my bad...:pac:

How bad eh, I thought that looked balanced with 10 men, throw in Robbie and you have a work horse iswell!

I dont think Mascherano is needed at Stoke and he looked tied on Tuesday. I'd love to see this team.

Reina

Degen---Carragehr--Agger---Dossena

Alonso

Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane---Torres

Very attacking but I think it would work.

A formation I've always liked is a 4-3-3 with wing backs.

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Arbeloa
    Aurelio
    Masch

Gerrard
    Alonso

Keane
    Babel

Torres

I know that you'd be relying on the Wing backs for width, and Stevie wouldn't be at his best, but in a perfest world, it could tear teams apart IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dont think Mascherano is needed at Stoke and he looked tied on Tuesday. I'd love to see this team.

Reina

Degen---Carragehr--Agger---Dossena

Alonso

Babel
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane---Torres

I know there's an appetite for us to go out and steamroll teams at the bottom end of the table, but I'd be a little apprehensive of fielding that formation.

On evidence so far, all of the newly promoted teams have a bit more about them than Derby, and you can be sure that they will be fired up for their first visit to Anfield. I could easily see a lethargic Alonso be overrun and outmuscled if Stoke pack the midfield.

Gerrard, as has been regularly commented on, doesn't have the discipline to play central midfield, and in the above formation, he would surely be expected to do his share of water-carrying. For Gerrard to thrive as an attacking-midfielder, he needs to be given almost a free-role, played ahead of a solid midfield base. I don't think Alonso by himself represents that.

I'd be happy enough to see a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 along the lines of...

Reina
    Degen-Carra-Agger-Dossena
    Lucas-Alonso
    ----Gerrard-Keane-Riera
    Torres

Obviously Arbeloa, Skrtl and Hyypia also have claims for a start. Mascherano could also come up, but I think Lucas could do well with another run out.

The attacking 4 is a huge question now for Liverpool. Only Gerrard and Torres can be guaranteed a starting berth, which leaves Keane, Kuyt, Babel, Riera and Benayoun competing for two positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Arbeloa
    Aurelio
    Masch

Gerrard
    Alonso

Keane
    Babel

Torres

This is exactly the set up that Rafa was going to use if we signed Barry IMO. It explains the signing of Dossena and Degan also. I actually posted it on this, or the previous one anyway, thread.

I really do wish we signed Barry :( Been watching him very closely this season and he keeps impressing me. So underated.

Reina
    Degen-Carra-Agger-Dossena
    Lucas-Alonso
    ----Gerrard-Keane-Riera
    Torres

Lucas ? He played 90 minutes mid week and was absolutely dreadful. No way would I put him anywhere near the team.

This is exactly the set up that Rafa was going to use if we signed Barry IMO. It explains the signing of Dossena and Degan also. I actually posted it on this, or the previous one anyway, thread.

I really do wish we signed Barry :( Been watching him very closely this season and he keeps impressing me. So underated.

Exactly.
    Barry would have been perfect for that formation.
    Degen and Dossena (if they work out) bombing up the wings, Gerrard and Barry being able to support the wide wing backs a bit while still having three accross the middle, and Keane and Babel coming in from either flank.

It's a bit narrow, but not as much so as it looks.

Alonso doesn't really suit the role as much as Barry though.
    He's good at dictating the play in the center, but wouldn't be as effective from the left.

I agree with you about Barry.
    Still gutted we didn't get him.

Tusky wrote: »
    Lucas ? He played 90 minutes mid week and was absolutely dreadful. No way would I put him anywhere near the team.

Masch was completely out of the game on Tuesday too you know.
    And I'd say that his shakey game impacted a lot on Lucas.
    Without Masch to mop up as effectively as he can, Lucas could hardly get into his attacking game.

Edit: Not comparing the two, just saying that Lucas wasn't the only player having a bad game, and that the conditiona weren't ideal for him to have a stormer (away in the Velodrome like!).

Masch was completely out of the game on Tuesday too you know.
    And I'd say that his shakey game impacted a lot on Lucas.
    Without Masch to mop up as effectively as he can, Lucas could hardly get into his attacking game.

Edit: Not comparing the two, just saying that Lucas wasn't the only player having a bad game, and that the conditiona weren't ideal for him to have a stormer (away in the Velodrome like!).

In fairness, Mascherano had played 90 minutes against United just 3 days earlier and had ran himself into the ground. Lucas should have been relatively fresh. He fouled constantly and didnt really contribute anything.

I like Lucas...but the honeymoon period is pretty much over. Hes been with the club over a year now and I think he needs to start stepping up his game.

Tusky wrote: »
    In fairness, Mascherano had played 90 minutes against United just 3 days earlier and had ran himself into the ground. Lucas should have been relatively fresh. He fouled constantly and didnt really contribute anything.

I like Lucas...but the honeymoon period is pretty much over. Hes been with the club over a year now and I think he needs to start stepping up his game.

I agree with you.
    I just never see him playing efectively as a defensive midfielder.
    He needs more freedom.
    Hopefully he'll get the chance to play in a more advanced role in a few of the lesser important games.
    The on thing I'll say about the lad, is that he's not afraid of the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some interesting UEFA cup happenings thus far tonight. Both Kewell and Baros on the scoresheet for Galatasary this evening. And Everton having terrible trouble with Standard Liege at home!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

New thread started about predictions here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381142

Post about that discussion there.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sure, he's signing in Swords. Probably would have had a better crowd if it was in O'Connell St

It's a slow day on this thread today, hey?

It was O'Connell St. Must be doing a whistle-stop tour.

• Advertisement

It was O'Connell St. Must be doing a whistle-stop tour.

He's on the Premier League show on Today FM tomorrow. Should be a good interview.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

PHB wrote: »
    New thread started about predictions here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381142

Post about that discussion there.

What _can_ we talk about here? The heavy modding on things like this is a bit odd, it is obvious, and we have already seen it, that if you break out posts like this into a seperate thread, they descend into lockable abuse fests. Why can't we just get on with it in here?

Is the Stoke game on Setanta Ireland or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

BBC rumours page suggesting Kuyt to Hamburg (again) in January.
    If we got 15m+ for him we'd be doing well but I cant see it happening.

Is the Stoke game on Setanta Ireland or anything?

Looks like its on Setanta Sports 1 (roi)

http://liveonsat.com/today.php?start_dd=20&start_mm=09&start_yyyy=2008&end_dd=20&end_mm=09&end_yyyy=2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

BBC rumours page suggesting Kuyt to Hamburg (again) in January.
    If we got 15m+ for him we'd be doing well but I cant see it happening.

really cant see this happening. Kuyt is an important member of the first team and is prob one of the first names on the team sheet when it comes to big european matchs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

redzerdrog wrote: »
    really cant see this happening. Kuyt is an important member of the first team and is prob one of the first names on the team sheet when it comes to big european matchs.

i think this has stemmed from Kuyt being asked would he someday like to play under Martin Jol, and Dirk said 'yes'.

Some hack has decided to add words to what was said and make a story out of it.

That was my main reason for peering into the thread this morning. Danke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

spockety wrote: »
    What _can_ we talk about here? The heavy modding on things like this is a bit odd, it is obvious, and we have already seen it, that if you break out posts like this into a seperate thread, they descend into lockable abuse fests. Why can't we just get on with it in here?

+1
    it seems every topic relating to LFC gets a new thread??? I used to enjoy boards but having a different thread for everything is plain annoying.:mad:

Kuyt is going nowhere, thta is a nothing story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

prendy wrote: »
    having a different thread for everything is plain annoying.

Kuyt is going nowhere, thta is a nothing story.

Agreed on both counts. The main thing this forum had going for it over any other one was the fact that everything was kept in one place - it was easy to keep yourself updated with the main bits of info if you visited regularly.

We wouldn't find anybody to replace Kuyt - his work-rate and effort is next to none. Never gonna be a clinical striker and sure, I'd much rather see us go out with a more attacking/skillful player and beat teams playing our own style of football, but being honest and with the standard of football so high now, those days are over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement