Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The point of my post still stands though. We've come through a patch of bad form, we've beaten the league champions and our players are beginning to hit form. And we are equal points with the league leaders. We've had a good start, and a lot to be positive about.

Absolutely, and for the record i hope Liverpool win the league, its long overdue. My point is a general one about poor refereeing that can ultimately cost teams, in extreme cases it could cost the league itself. The premiership is the best league in the world, its a pity that the refereeing in it doesnt often match up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

The premiership is the best league in the world, .

You really like starting arguements don't you.
    What are you baseing that on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ajeffares wrote: »
    You really like starting arguements don't you.
    What are you baseing that on
    Probably on the Premiership teams performances in the Champions League over the past couple of seasons.

2006/07 Champions League= Premiership had 3 of the 4 Semi-Finalists
    2007-08 Champions League= Premiership had 3 of the 4 Semi-Finalists

Pighead wrote: »
    Probably on the Premiership teams performances in the Champions League over the past couple of seasons.

2006/07 Champions League= Premiership had 3 of the 4 Semi-Finalists
    2007-08 Champions League= Premiership had 3 of the 4 Semi-Finalists

I mean is it the quality of the football
    The fans,
    The average quality of each team inc the bottom teams,
    What about the UEFA cup? If its the whole league thats
    the beat league in the world how come they aren't winning
    that back to back.

Your just thinking about the top 3 or 4 teams:)

ajeffares wrote: »
    I mean is it the quality of the football
    The fans,
    The average quality of each team inc the bottom teams,
    What about the UEFA cup? If its the whole league thats
    the beat league in the world how come they aren't winning
    that back to back.

Your just thinking about the top 3 or 4 teams:)
    Well generally a league is rated against how well it's best teams are doing. A few years back it was the Spanish teams that were getting 2 or 3 teams in the Semi-Finals of the Champions League and it was they who were considered to have the best league in the world.

• Advertisement

Oh so you mean the premiership have 2 or 3 of
    the best teams in the world. Well I agree with
    that.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

My point is refereeing decisions can cost games, and a team league points, which in turn can make a difference when the league season is over. Nothing anal or nitpickity about it all actually.

You were nit picking when you took him up on saying liverpool are joint top. I don't think even a chelsea fan would point it out like you did just now! Yes dodgy decisions can cost, but you don't know how much of an effect it has really had until the very last day of the season, not now, as it is all relative (to the decisions that also cost your rivals).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

doesn't really merit a discusision, but to be fair he's right.

There is pretty much no 'joint positions' in the league unless everything down to goal difference and goals scored are the same which is obviously rare.

We are 2nd in the league at the moment. Which is still great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

They do tend to even out over the course of a season and to be honest if there wasnt any dodgey calls by a ref we would have a lot less to talk about after a game. It's part of the game which has and all ways will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

woodyg wrote: »
    They do tend to even out over the course of a season and to be honest if there wasnt any dodgey calls by a ref we would have a lot less to talk about after a game. It's part of the game which has and all ways will be there.

+1 cant agree more.
    its what makes football football, it adds an extra eliment to the debates and banter which would be lost if video replays were introduced. ref's get 99% of decisions correct. the 1% makes life interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PSV come calling on Wednesday (btw this is not an official pre-match discussion :wink::wink: )

They scraped past the Eredivisies bottom club Volendam at home at the weekend, this should be pretty straightforward if Rafa goes for the kill. Thier so called rising star Afellay will probably be missing.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i find it quite frustrating that the knockers (liverpool fans) contribute **** all to this thread except when things are going badly....going good now, and not a peep, but next time we lose a match, they'll be in here ranting about rotation,rafa,kuyt etc etc etc.

football annoys me sometimes.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i find it quite frustrating that the knockers (liverpool fans) contribute **** all to this thread except when things are going badly....going good now, and not a peep, but next time we lose a match, they'll be in here ranting about rotation,rafa,kuyt etc etc etc.

Here's hoping for a quiet season on this thread in that case :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Defence playing really well,midfield moving well(including the wings),now unbeaten in 12 league games and Torres back in form.
    As Gerrard said Keane is doing everything right and the players love him.

there will always be people like Dunphy,Lawro and posters of that ilk but this has beena great start to the season and lets hope the lads keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The breakthrough goal on Saturday highlighted again how important it is to use width to get behind defences, get defenders turned.

Game next weekend v Man City was initially picked by Setanta to be the live 3pm game - but no longer the case as its been put back to Sunday coz City play on Thursday in the UEFA Cup. :(

raven136 wrote: »
    Defence playing really well,midfield moving well(including the wings),now unbeaten in 12 league games and Torres back in form.
    As Gerrard said Keane is doing everything right and the players love him.

there will always be people like Dunphy,Lawro and posters of that ilk but this has beena great start to the season and lets hope the lads keep it up.

I agree.
    unfortunatly its a fact of life that Irish people in general are a race of begrudgers, we take pride in knocking people/organisations/companies/clubs etc that are doing well.
    its no different here, the people that slate rafa when we lose or drop points do not praise him when we win.
    likewise if a player has a bad game suddenly he's not good enough for Liverpool but when he plays well he doesnt get the credit he deserves.
    there's a few posters who are continually negative towards the club they claim to "support". And i'm not talking about constructive critism here, just down right negative posting.

For anyone looking for an insight into Rafa's thoughts/plans on and for Ryan Babel...

Ryan Babel will come face to face with an old foe when Liverpool face PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday night - and he'll do so with a ringing endorsement from manager Rafa Benitez.
    The 21-year-old knows all about Huub Stevens's side from his Ajax days, when both teams fought it out at the top of the Eredivisie.

Babel broke PSV hearts in 2005 by scoring the winning goal in the Dutch Super Cup, an occasion which is sure to have caught Benitez's eye.

Though players arriving from Holland often take time to adapt to English football, the Liverpool boss was always confident this prodigious talent could make it in the Premier League.

"You need to remember that Dutch players coming to England with great quality have always needed time," said Benitez.

"Robin van Persie was like that and Dennis Bergkamp also needed time. The leagues are totally different.

"The Dutch league is very technical and you have two or three teams that are very good.

"Every game is about getting the ball, keeping the ball and playing nice football.

"Here it is harder, though Babel has played some fantastic games for us.

"So we still have a lot of confidence he can progress, but now he has to work hard on defence and learn how to challenge players.

"He has done well as an impact player, which is not easy when you are young, but we think he can do more than that for us."

Babel has netted eight times as a substitute since arriving from Ajax in 2007, the latest of which was a crucial winner against Manchester United two weeks ago.

The winger is closing in on David Fairclough's club record of 18 goals from the bench, but his manager would be happy if he never made it past the flame-haired legend.

"Our view of Ryan is a player who starts games and has an impact from the beginning, not just as a sub," said Benitez.

"But first of all he has to improve tactically and we are working with him on that.

"He is the kind of player who can change games and he has done that when coming from the bench.

"Now we want him to start games and change them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That sounds good, but sadly doesn't give any clues as to in which postion.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

prendy wrote: »
    I agree.
    unfortunatly its a fact of life that Irish people in general are a race of begrudgers, we take pride in knocking people/organisations/companies/clubs etc that are doing well.
    its no different here, the people that slate rafa when we lose or drop points do not praise him when we win.
    likewise if a player has a bad game suddenly he's not good enough for Liverpool but when he plays well he doesnt get the credit he deserves.
    there's a few posters who are continually negative towards the club they claim to "support". And i'm not talking about constructive critism here, just down right negative posting.

its the you're on sky sports culture.How many times have you listened to the today fm or newstalk phone in and wondering what the fcuk the guy is talking about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyone else going over for the game on Wednesday night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Melion wrote: »

Show-off :pac: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

wachovia bank, which along with RBS loaned g&h all the money, has been bought over by citygroup with a stake also going to the us government. Wonder what consequences this will have for the refinancing. One can only assume the new owners will be looking to streamline and get in as much of their owed money as possible, rather then allowing more time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Shhhh!
    Dont jinx us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They must be on the Arsenal thread or something...

You are right though.. There are fans of other clubs who contribute consistenty throughout the season despite how things are going for our club.

Then there are those that tend to only post when thereis the oppurtunity for a cheap shot.. Maybe the mods might keep that in mind the next time Pool fans are perceived to be moaning about so called trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

prendy wrote: »

Thats cause for most people (i'll include myself) will be critical when things arn't right (like a strange team selection), people will not say anything when things are good eg. they agree with the team picked and a good performance because it's what they expect.
    I thought it was a great performance at the weekend and were looking pretty good at the moment.
    I still think though that were only a bad team selection away from a needless draw and because that frustrates me so much im more likely to give out on this board then (although I read it all the time anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I'll be there, will you be at the Sali?

I'll be there, will you be at the Sali?

Gonna go down towards Anfield about 5 id say. Few pints in the Park and then head into the ground about 7. Its my first CL game and im in the Kop so i wanna be there early for the atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

KK, well if you get away from the park pop down the Sali, is very easy to get a beerthere and a lot of the Irish lads end up there both before and after the game.

Oh, might just head there instead so. Just down the road isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Oh, might just head there instead so. Just down the road isnt it?

lads i know about the fancard thing or whatever its called but is there any other way to get tickets? i think if i could sort the tickets myself a trip over would be a lot cheaper than a package deal

www.irishkop.com is your friend

You are right though.. There are fans of other clubs who contribute consistenty throughout the season despite how things are going for our club.

Then there are those that tend to only post when thereis the oppurtunity for a cheap shot.. Maybe the mods might keep that in mind the next time Pool fans are perceived to be moaning about so called trolls.

I'm actually talking about Liverpool fans tbh, as opposed to rival fans. The lieks of Boggles, watever you think of him, posts year round, irregardless of result (although he was a little quiet after the Utd game!;)). I'm talking about Liverpool fans who seem to reckon they know more about the game than senior managers, who could fix all Liverpools woes if given the chance.
    colly10 wrote: »
    Thats cause for most people (i'll include myself) will be critical when things arn't right (like a strange team selection), people will not say anything when things are good eg. they agree with the team picked and a good performance because it's what they expect.
    I thought it was a great performance at the weekend and were looking pretty good at the moment.
    I still think though that were only a bad team selection away from a needless draw and because that frustrates me so much im more likely to give out on this board then (although I read it all the time anyway)

my point is Its only the wrong selection when the result doesnt go our way surely...., hammered Everton at the weekend without the CB many deem our best playing, with a RB some people think is pants, with a LB that a lot of people dont rate, with a CM 2 that people say cant play together-one of who clever people even claim can no longer play in CM, with a striker that people claim was a waste of 20m already and a right winger who is actually a striker and people claim is nothing but a cross country runner and with a left winger people call a man city reject.

When we play the mancs again, should we drop Torres and Gerrard? afterall they didnt play in the game where we finally beat them in the leagie?

Why when we were playing a FULL STRENGTH team against stoke did we get a draw?

football is illogical sometimes, and it suffers MASSIVELY from over analysis-people should just ****ing forget all the ****e and support the team.

just cause Rafa picks a team people may not agree with...doesnt mean it was the wrong team to pick. He is the man iun charge of running our club, if you dont think he should be, fine, if you do...then support him and the team.

sometimes people seem to only be happy when they are unhappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

football is illogical sometimes, and it suffers MASSIVELY from over analysis-people should just ****ing forget all the ****e and support the team.

just cause Rafa picks a team people may not agree with...doesnt mean it was the wrong team to pick. He is the man iun charge of running our club, if you dont think he should be, fine, if you do...then support him and the team.

But Alan, this is a discussion board. We discuss what happens with the team. We discuss the players performances and the teams Rafa picks. It has nothing to do with supporting the team. The team dont know this forum exists. Me saying "well played lads" on here, has nothing to do with anything.

If posters from this forum were in the stands booing Rafa or the team I would agree with you...but thats no the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah. tbh this isnt a circle-jerk.

tis srs bsness dont ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is Mascherano back for tomorrow night? (Havent heard anything)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

If you feel the need to criticise, then you should also feel the need to compliment.

If you feel the need to criticise, then you should also feel the need to compliment.
    That should work the other way around as well, Mr's Karmafaerie and Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

Do you compliment the ESB every night when you come home "good work lads, a full day with no interuptions, keep it up"? I bet when they do **** up you are straight on the phone to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ah lads, can ye take that sh!te talk elsewhere. It's boring the pants off me.

Is Mascherano back for tomorrow night? (Havent heard anything)

lol at trying to talk about football here!!!
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

does anyone know if the Man City game is on TV this Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

xabi wrote: »
    Do you compliment the ESB every night when you come home "good work lads, a full day with no interuptions, keep it up"? I bet when they do **** up you are straight on the phone to them.

Am pretty sure that having electricity is bordering on being considered a human right in a developed country... Don't think you can say the same about Liverpool winning...

Board@Work wrote: »

Not on Sky or Setanta :(

Might get it on a dodgey channel or stream it off the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Board@Work wrote: »

it was due to be on setanta on saturday but the game was changed to sunday because of citys uefa cup game thursday but dont think it is on anywhere on sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

redzerdrog wrote: »
    it was due to be on setanta on saturday but the game was changed to sunday because of citys uefa cup game thursday but dont think it is on anywhere on sunday.

I'd say justin.tv will have it?... Broadcasting from some Afganistan cave. Fear not!

Pighead wrote: »
    That should work the other way around as well, Mr's Karmafaerie and Alan.

And when we play badly, I say we played badly.
    But when we play well, some people seem to almost resent it.
    xabi wrote: »

No.

I pay them!!!

And I wouldn't be straight on the phone complaining.
    I've worked in a call center before so I know to have more class than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

flanzer wrote: »
    I'd say justin.tv will have it?... Broadcasting from some Afganistan cave. Fear not!

knowing my luck i'll have a match sunday afternoon. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

And when we play badly, I say we played badly.
    But when we play well, some people seem to almost resent it.

no, i dont think they do. i just think that most of us arent completely over the top with it.

like, Liverpool dominated Everton on saturday and i was extremely pleased with this. but Liverpool were doing everything right so i didnt have much to say. im hardly going to come on here and sing their praises as i dont think id be making a point or adding anything.
    id use their performance as an example in future discussions. saying "well done" or "brilliant stuff" isnt going to add anything to the discussions. as has been said before, this isnt a liverpool supporters only thread so id prefer to add to any debate rather then just natter

Jazzy wrote: »
    no, i dont think they do. i just think that most of us arent completely over the top with it.

like, Liverpool dominated Everton on saturday and i was extremely pleased with this. but Liverpool were doing everything right so i didnt have much to say. im hardly going to come on here and sing their praises as i dont think id be making a point or adding anything.
    id use their performance as an example in future discussions. saying "well done" or "brilliant stuff" isnt going to add anything to the discussions. as has been said before, this isnt a liverpool supporters only thread so id prefer to add to any debate rather then just natter

I'm fairly sure that Alans point was aimed at those who come in to pick apart any failings.

A lot of posters are like panelists.
    They spout the same old crap at any opertunity, ignoring all the contradicting evidence.

Like "How good would Torres be if he hadn't been rotated so much".
    Ignoring the fact that he hasn't been rotated that much.

Or even more apt, all the talk of Zonal marking being terrible when first implimented.
    Then we spent the best part of two seasons with the best defence in the league, so there was no mention of zonal marking, untill last season when our defence was suspect (due to injury), and agin all you hear is zonal marking!

You have to be consistant in your appraisal, or it mean nothing.

similarly Karma, i feel that the people who knocked rotation and blamed that for silly dropped points over the last couple of seasons went very quiet when we dropped 2 points to Stoke with a full strength team out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement