Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

10____Corner Kicks____1

Someone has to tell Gerrard about his corner kick taking. I vote Boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

noodler wrote: »
    But the sending off happened after 30 minutes. Inter were away from home in a CL knock out tie-its hard to judge how conservative they were based on 30 minutes with ten men.

you could tell after 2 minutes how inter were going to play in that game, they started with 5 defenders + a defensive midfielder and then brought on viera for cruz after 50 minutes

lets not forget the build up to that game either inter hadn't been beat for 6 months previous to that match home or away, liverpool had just lost to barnsley at home in the fa cup 3 days earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Liverpool were all over Inter for the first 30 mins, and continued so after the sending off.

Inter came for 0-0, and paid for it.

Anyway, 30 mins, is 1/3 of the game.
    Not exactly right at the start.

And as Rossie said, Inter were the form team in world football at the time, on an amazing run, and as soon as we beat them, Dunphy says that they're a joke of a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

i sincerely doubt Dunphy said Ibrahimovic was an excellent player.

he likes players like torres, not ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

New squad pic has been put up on lfv.tv. its a photoshop mess in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

i sincerely doubt Dunphy said Ibrahimovic was an excellent player.

he likes players like torres, not ibrahimovic.

Oh he said it alright. I think he may actually have being showing clips of him as well highlighting his threat and what he would do to Liverpool.
    After the match, he was a nothing player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

evil_seed wrote: »

it gives me a headache for some reason :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Charles Itandje... ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Liverpool were all over Inter for the first 30 mins, and continued so after the sending off.

Inter came for 0-0, and paid for it.

Anyway, 30 mins, is 1/3 of the game.
    Not exactly right at the start.

And as Rossie said, Inter were the form team in world football at the time, on an amazing run, and as soon as we beat them, Dunphy says that they're a joke of a team.

didnt dumphy compare inter to Ireland after the match, saying he'd rather have the Irish squad????

He's a muppet end of!

and noodler if thats not destroying what is? that was one of pools best performances last season against a team many fancied to win the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

fair enough. on a somewhat related note, he's on some gareth barry love in at the moment..where that come from?

• Advertisement

Sure we beat them home and away. And i think they were only beaten once at home all season before that, if it all!

fair enough. on a somewhat related note, he's on some gareth barry love in at the moment..where that come from?

Yeah, i heard him say that. If we had bought him, we'd have been title contenders. Of course, if we had have bought him, Dunphy would have slated Rafa for buying him!

Jesus, this debate about whether or not we "destroyed" Inter reminds me of last week's ridiculous nit picking about whether or not we are "joint top" of the league at the moment.

It's amazing the things people will find to pick at when Liverpool are doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i really do actually think its because Liverpool didn't get him. Would be pretty textbook dunphy.

All in all, we should all be very happy with how things have gone this season so far. Pool seem to have the dodgy games out of their system now, have played very well for the last few games, good passing football, it really is reminiscent of Rafa's valencia team, as well as the great liverpool teams of old (not that level yet, but on the right path certainly). The best thing is that the poor games didn't cost us.

Serious amount of positives this year.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i really do actually think its because Liverpool didn't get him. Would be pretty textbook dunphy.

All in all, we should all be very happy with how things have gone this season so far. Pool seem to have the dodgy games out of their system now, have played very well for the last few games, good passing football, it really is reminiscent of Rafa's valencia team, as well as the great liverpool teams of old (not that level yet, but on the right path certainly). The best thing is that the poor games didn't cost us.

Serious amount of positives this year.

Six matches in , 14 points, level with the leaders, having already played an away derby and a match against last years Champions? Yes please!

You better believe it Rebel! I'm delighted with the season so far. Yeah, the performances has been below par at times, but we're still picking up the points, still unbeaten, look to be getting stronger!
    A draw on Sunday wouldn't be so bad, but it's a game i think we can win. It'll be really interesting to see how we do in that one actually! A real test before the Chelsea match.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, i heard him say that. If we had bought him, we'd have been title contenders. Of course, if we had have bought him, Dunphy would have slated Rafa for buying him!

Dunphy aside.

Anyone else delighted at Alonso's form? For me he's been outstanding so far this season.

prendy wrote: »
    Dunphy aside.

Anyone else delighted at Alonso's form? For me he's been outstanding so far this season.

Nothing spectacular to be honest.
    He's had a few good games (really good), but nothing massive.
    And he's had a few howlers.

Masch has been the man for me.
    As soon as he came back we started playing again.

prendy wrote: »
    Dunphy aside.

Yup. I've always been a fan of Xabi's though, didn't want him to leave for Gareth feckin Barry.
    His form is definitely better this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wonder is Sami really 4 times the size of Carra

zAbbo wrote: »
    I wonder is Sami really 4 times the size of Carra
    There is a slight difference in scale between the two isn't there? Hyypia is tall but not that tall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why is Pako in the picture? Top row, 3rd from the right.

I know its not him, but looks very similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Anyone played the pro evo 2009 demo ? The stats on some of the players leave a lot to be desired. Keane & Kuyt actually have really good stats. Keane is as good as Torres in the game, which is fairly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Transfers rumours today from the beeb

Madrid want Agger in Jan,

Stoke are preparing a £3m bid for Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kaimera wrote: »
    Transfers rumours today from the beeb

Madrid want Agger in Jan,

Stoke are preparing a £3m bid for Pennant.

If D. Agger goes to Madrid, we want our heads examined.
    He and Skrtl should be the best CB pairing in the premiership next season if not sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Just read that there about Agger.
    Real may want him, but Rafa said recently he wants to give Agger a new deal.
    Didn't know Real were contemplating a bid during the summer.
    Wonder how much?

From the Times
    Real Madrid have declared their intention to exploit growing uncertainty over Daniel Agger’s future at Liverpool by making a firm bid for the defender when the transfer window opens in January. Agger is highly regarded by Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, but a troubled rehabilitation from a broken foot early last season has raised doubts about whether he has a long-term future at Anfield.

Agger expected to be back in action within six weeks after suffering a stress fracture to the second metatarsal in his right foot in September 2007, but after a series of setbacks he has only just returned to Liverpool’s first-team squad and is struggling to break up the central-defensive partnership of Martin Skrtel, who was signed in his absence, and Jamie Carragher. With less than two years left on his contract, Agger is known to be restless, despite expressing his commitment to Liverpool this week, and it remains to be seen how his negotiations on a new deal may be affected by Real’s public declaration of interest in his services.

“He is a player we have been looking at for a long time and it is likely we will bid for him in January,” José Ángel Sánchez, the vice-president of Real, said yesterday. “He is a world-class player and without a doubt he would fit into our system.

“We already had plans about buying Agger this summer, along with some other players, but the Robinho situation took so much attention and demanded so many resources from the club that we had to drop the plans about putting a bid in for Agger and other players that we had in mind. What we need is a defender and a striker and, at the moment, Agger is on top of our list.”
    It is unclear what kind of role Bernd Schuster, the Real coach, has in mind for Agger — given that he has Fabio Cannavaro, Pepe, Christoph Metzelder, all central defenders, as well as Sergio Ramos and Gabriel Heinze, who are comfortable playing there — but the 23-year-old could hardly fail to have his head turned by interest from the Spanish champions at a time when he is battling to reassert himself.

In an interview with a Danish television station this week, Agger denied claims that he had clashed with Benítez over his performance during a jittery goalless draw away to Standard Liège in August, but he did express frustration at his struggle to regain his first-team place. “Of course there are things that Benítez was not satisfied with after Liège, but it is a big lie to say we had an argument,” Agger said. “I certainly hope it is only football reasons why I am not playing.

“I’m happy at Liverpool. I have no problem in this club. The manager has just said that the team is playing very well and that is why I am not playing. I want to stay here and fight for my place in the squad. I’m not satisfied with the fact that I’m not playing but I have to cope and accept it.”

Benítez has suggested that he was aghast upon discovering recently that Agger has less than two years remaining on the 4½-year contract he signed when he joined Liverpool from Brondby in January 2006. He has instructed his board to offer the defender a new long-term deal as soon as possible and has been encouraged by the club’s response.

Benítez has been frustrated by the time it has taken for Agger to return from injury, but, despite the form of Carragher and Skrtel this season, he is certain to use the Denmark defender once he has shown that he has regained his fitness and confidence. In particular Benítez believes that Agger’s technical ability can give the team’s attacking play an extra dimension, particularly against obdurate opponents at Anfield, having bemoaned the defender’s absence from the recent goalless draw with Stoke City

On Pennant goin' to Stoke, did that not fall thru' on the closing day of the transfer window, where Pennant either didn't want to go to Stoke, or couldn't agree personal terms???

Unless Anderson or Hammil or some other right-sided midfielder comes into the first team I doubt Pennant will be going anywhere. As for the Agger rumours, there's no chance of him leaving unless Real Madrid (or whoever) offer crazy money. There is the possibility of him exploiting the Webster ruling but hopefully he'll get a new contract soon to avoid that chance.

malice_ wrote: »
    Unless Anderson or Hammil or some other right-sided midfielder comes into the first team I doubt Pennant will be going anywhere. As for the Agger rumours, there's no chance of him leaving unless Real Madrid (or whoever) offer crazy money. There is the possibility of him exploiting the Webster ruling but hopefully he'll get a new contract soon to avoid that chance.

Doesn't the webster only apply to players over a certain age? (28??)

Looks like we are about to feel the pressure of Real Madrid and the Spanish press as they ramp up the media campaign to unsettle Agger.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Doesn't the webster only apply to players over a certain age? (28??)

Looks like we are about to feel the pressure of Real Madrid and the Spanish press as they ramp up the media campaign to unsettle Agger.
    I wasn't sure so I had a quick look at Wikipedia. Age is a factor but players under 28 can avail of the ruling, from here:
    any player who signed a contract before the age of 28 can buy himself out of the contract three years after the deal was signed. The window is shortened to two years if he is 28 or older.

Now according to here, Agger was signed in January 2006 so in theory he can exploit the ruling in January 2009 if no new deal is signed.

I wouldn't expect Agger to accept being on the bench. I would hope that he is unhappy and willing to fight hard for his place. It's going to be a long season and he will get games.

Sounds like Agger's agent is working hard.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Sounds like Agger's agent is working hard.
    Well he has to justify his 10% or whatever :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rafa obviously knews that Real were interested and it could explain him apparently being on the look out for a new central defender.

I would be really sad to see Agger go but I am confident that Rafa could find an adequate replacement. Wouldn't be surprised to see Heinze come in as part of the deal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'd be surprised at Agger if he gets in a huff over this and looks for a move.
    He's a good player but he needs to fight for his place and grab the opportunity when it arises.

He surely can't expect Benitez to drop one of Carra or Skrtel to let him back in, when they have done so well thus far. Am i right in thinking that we have only conceded 2 league goals so far? (Boro & Utd)

He's a young player and will be a great CB in the next few years i think. I would suggest that if he keeps it together he could be one of our all time defensive greats. I think that game where Drogba bullied him has been the making of him. He prob realised that more than anywhere else on the field, centre back is a position where uncomprimising comes first.

There's a lot of uncertainty around his injury and extended time off last year, we've been patient and allowed him to fully rehabilitate (both physically and mentally)

Rafa has come out and said a new contract is on it's way, it's just a little sad that negotiations have come out in the media, but I guess that's the way Agents and to a certain extent players behave.

He's only played 50 games since he signed in Jan 06, this season is long and he will be needed - but needs to get his head down and work hard to get into the starting XI

Rafa is on the look out for a new central defender to replace Sami, not The Dagger.
    You need 4 central defenders, and Sami probably won't be here next year.

Dagger will be staying, unless Rafa knows something about the injury that we don't.

Or wasn't there a rumour last year about him having a drink problem?!

ibh wrote: »
    He surely can't expect Benitez to drop one of Carra or Skrtel to let him back in, when they have done so well thus far. Am i right in thinking that we have only conceded 2 league goals so far? (Boro & Utd)

PSV and Monaco too, but yeah, only two in the league.
    In fact, untill the goal the other night, Reina hadn't to make a single save in ages.
    Everton had no shots on target, and PSV had none untill the goal.
    Stoke weren't exactly peppering them in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Or wasn't there a rumour last year about him having a drink problem?!

No it was cocaine (and hookers)

Seriously I hope he is patient cos as stated above he and Skrtel will be the first choice CB in a year. That said Rafa can help, make sure Agger is always on the bench and always starts Cup games.

Mike

Would be absolutely gutted if we lost Agger. I think himself and Skrtel will make an awesome partnership in time.

• Advertisement

It's always nice to have a left footed centre half as well, he's just haggling for first team assurances and some extra cash (for the coke and hookers)

Hookers, nothin' but trouble eh!!! :pac:

Weren't we linked to a Brazilian centre half a week or two ago as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Didnt the above article have Agger saying he was very happy at Liverpool and he wanted to stay and fight for his place, that he understood why it was hard to get a look in at the minute?

stink of non-story off this.

(i hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So far this season there haven't been too many definsive screw-ups. Carragher got caught playing the offside trap against Marseille and Skrtel was ball watching against PSV but I don't think there are many more so it would be unfair to drop either of them in favour of Agger.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didnt the above article have Agger saying he was very happy at Liverpool and he wanted to stay and fight for his place, that he understood why it was hard to get a look in at the minute?

stink of non-story off this.

(i hope)

But Real were and seem to be still interested.
    The only thing is, would Agger get his game/s at Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

DeadSkin wrote: »
    But Real were and seem to be still interested.
    The only thing is, would Agger get his game/s at Real?

I think he would get his game. Him and Cannavaro would be fcuking awesome..

I think Pepe is pretty average and Metzelder is rubbish. The worry with Madrid is that if they really want him then they probably will get him. Aside from ronaldo in the summer, they rarely miss out on someone they agressively pursue.

Paul Eaton 03 October 2008

Rafael Benitez today told Real Madrid they would be wasting their time making a transfer window bid for Daniel Agger.
    Reports in this morning's media suggested the Spanish giants are preparing to swoop for the Danish defender once the window reopens next year, but Benitez insists Agger is not for sale and remains a part of his future Anfield plans.

"The situation is very simple, Daniel Agger is our player and he is not for sale," said the Reds boss.

"His future is at Anfield and nowhere else. He knows my ideas because we have talked with him and he has a long future with us.

"We do not want to lose our concentration just before we play Manchester City by talking about other things but it is important that people know that Agger is not for sale."

monkey9 wrote: »
    Paul Eaton 03 October 2008

Rafael Benitez today told Real Madrid they would be wasting their time making a transfer window bid for Daniel Agger.
    Reports in this morning's media suggested the Spanish giants are preparing to swoop for the Danish defender once the window reopens next year, but Benitez insists Agger is not for sale and remains a part of his future Anfield plans.

"The situation is very simple, Daniel Agger is our player and he is not for sale," said the Reds boss.

"His future is at Anfield and nowhere else. He knows my ideas because we have talked with him and he has a long future with us.

"We do not want to lose our concentration just before we play Manchester City by talking about other things but it is important that people know that Agger is not for sale."

thats the stuff Rafa!!!
    at some stage in the next few weeks Carra or skyrtle will need to be rested, its up to Agger to stake a claim!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yeay rafa!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement