Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Helix wrote: »
    we should pick up 25 points from our remaining games, so the question really is whether arsenal will pick up 32 from theirs or not
    jasonorr wrote: »
    I don't see either happening to be honest!
    Helix wrote: »
    why not?

neither are beyond the realms of possibility
    No, but I just feel both teams will drop more points than that! I honestly couldn't even hazard a guess at this stage which team will finish higher as Arsenal are so bloody unpredictable and Villa have been remarkably solid!

Villa: Had 51, get 76? Nope!
    Arsenal: Had 45, get 77? Nope!

I like being right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Villa: Had 51, get 76? Nope!
    Arsenal: Had 45, get 77? Nope!

I like being right :P
    Yea there is a couple of Villa fans from earlier in the season on this thread I really wanted to go back and highlight

Quazzie wrote: »
    Yea there is a couple of Villa fans from earlier in the season on this thread I really wanted to go back and highlight

Yeah, I know...I purposely posted it here though. I didn't want to put it right up their noses as to be fair, there's only a few of them that were at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Usmanov ready to pay off some of Arsenal's debts. Up until a week ago or so I always felt that Kroenke was the lesser of two evils between the two. However it is clear that Usmanov has a clear understanding of soccer and/or is surrounding himself with those who do.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0513/arsenal.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    Usmanov ready to pay off some of Arsenal's debts. Up until a week ago or so I always felt that Kroenke was the lesser of two evils between the two. However it is clear that Usmanov has a clear understanding of soccer and/or is surrounding himself with those who do.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0513/arsenal.html

dear god no. Usmanov might be a soccer fan, but he's still downright shady in his dealings. There's a reason the board allied themselves with Kroenke over Usmanov.

• Advertisement

That's very true man. Same thing applied to Chelsea when Roman went there. Nobody was asking about his fortune, and how he acquired it...just what it could get them.

I am very impressed with Kroenke and his plans. That academy set up in Denver, CO looks great. If Usmanov pours money into the club, will the existing shareholders change their stance about him? It might pay dividents over the summer if we attract some stellar names that without him we would only have dreamed of getting. Remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd rather have a modest transfer budget this summer and stick with Kroenke that make our bed with Usmanov and be buggered in a few years

DenMan wrote: »
    That's very true man. Same thing applied to Chelsea when Roman went there. Nobody was asking about his fortune, and how he acquired it...just what it could get them.

I am very impressed with Kroenke and his plans. That academy set up in Denver, CO looks great. If Usmanov pours money into the club, will the existing shareholders change their stance about him? It might pay dividents over the summer if we attract some stellar names that without him we would only have dreamed of getting. Remains to be seen.

I doubt it. Usmanov's move for Arsenal reeks of a PR stunt. Him saying the right things to the press at the right time seems completely out of character, he's normally very secretive and withdrawn. I'd say Arsenal to him is nothing but a way of raising his profile in the western world to make inroads elsewhere for his investment companies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's leadership will be scrutinised tomorrow when he addresses shareholders at a question-and-answer session.

Wenger is scheduled to attend the meeting and will have to field questions on another trophyless campaign, with the club's last silverware being the 2005 FA Cup.

The Frenchman has appeared defensive about his methods at the Emirates Stadium but it is understood there are hopes he will echo the sentiments of chief executive Ivan Gazidis, who spoke to the Arsenal Supporters Trust (AST) earlier in the week.

AST members were impressed with Gazidis' approach to moving the club forward after finishing fourth in the Premier League.

"I am not happy where we ended up but I am pleased we are disappointed by it," Gazidis said.

"There are other clubs who would feel this is a good position. Or we could say in December 'if someone had said we'd have been in this position then we would have bitten their hands off'.

"So why aren't we feeling great about it? The answer is because we have higher expectations.

"But this is not a situation where we should be over-reactive and feel that we are in crisis. We are not. We have a team with an average age of 23 or 24 that went to the Champions League semi-finals and is going to get better.

"Does it need to be supplemented? Quite possibly but it is a very, very promising situation for the next four or five years.

"So right now I think it is important to have some perspective and be brutally realistic with ourselves - but not only on the negative side but the positive side as well."

Wenger has suggested that he will not go on a summer spending spree to change Arsenal's fortunes.

It appears there will not be many changes behind the scenes either as the club released a statement to insist assistant boss Pat Rice is not considering retirement.

"He remains a key part of Arsene Wenger's backroom staff," the statement read.

Wenger's plans are to bring one or two players to the club, rather than make radical changes.

The 59-year-old said: "Certainly we will try to strengthen the squad in the summer, we will look to bring in one or two players.

"We are prepared to spend the necessary money to get the players we want, but the size of the player is not always linked with the size of the money you spend.

"Once we identify the player we want, we will spend the money we need to."

Wenger expects his side to bounce back from the disappointment of getting knocked out of the Champions League and FA Cup at the semi-final stage.

He added: "I remain confident we can win silverware next season, and that is why we will continue to work hard, but we will naturally progress if we keep going.

"When you are a competitor, you get up the next day (after defeat) and you feel you will not let that happen again - that is exactly the same for the players.

"If you do not want to fight, you are in the wrong job. Competition demands strong people, otherwise you should go and do something else."

Meanwhile, AST are cautious about reports Alisher Usmanov, the Gunners' second-highest stakeholder, could be ready to help the club pay off some of their debt.

"We would need to see more detailed proposals and understand how it is being discussed with the board," said an AST spokesperson.

"We've always said that we would welcome all shareholders working together for the benefit of the club."

Source:: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/trophyless-wenger-to-face-arsenal-shareholders-410632.html

Assume just a lecturer rather then anything serious to come out of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I like Gazidis. He seems to be fairly on the ball and straightforward with his dealings. He should do a good job of helping to send us in the right direction.

He also had this to say on the official website
    “He is not closed-minded,” the 44-year-old told a meeting of the Arsenal Supporters Trust this week.

“The idea that Arsène Wenger is some stubborn guy who is not open to having his ideas challenged and there is nobody there who can say ‘listen we need someone with experience in the middle of the park or at the back’ just isn’t true.

“He is asking questions of himself all the time and talking to people all the time. He does not believe he has all the answers and I see that as one of his strengths.

“'He is not someone who takes the easy route to protect himself. He will place the protection of his players above that.

“He is not going to go out and say ‘this guy is not good enough’ or ‘this is where we are weak’. He has the ability to make difficult decisions when they have to be made, but until then, he protects and supports the players he has.”

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Wenger give some of the younger players in the team a chance to play as a showpiece occasion on Saturday for them now that we have nothing to play for.

Something like:

Mannone/Fabianski

---Eboue
    Djourou
    Song
    Gibbs---

Walcott/Merida
    Ramsey
    Denilson
    Arshavin

Bendtner
    Vela

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd like to see Wenger give some of the younger players in the team a chance to play as a showpiece occasion on Saturday for them now that we have nothing to play for.

Something like:

Mannone/Fabianski

---Eboue
    Djourou
    Song
    Gibbs---

Walcott/Merida
    Ramsey
    Denilson
    Arshavin

Bendtner
    Vela
    No way. Play a full strenght team. We have no positional change to play for but it's a chance to beat Utd, and beating would prevent them from lifting the league at home. That alone should be incentive to go for the win.

Spite is a powerful emotion.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

OPENROAD wrote: »

Mirror sports reporters theory, lesson 1

AC Milan try to sign Adebayor
    Ancelotti manager of AC Milan
    Ancelotti linked with Chelsea job
    Adebayor to sign for Chelsea

Makes sense to me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

itsjaybud wrote: »
    An ole rumour as to who could be looking for Adebayor's services next season!

Took a few weeks but the mirror finally got the story together!
    Some how i dont think it will be happening!!!;)

No way. Play a full strenght team. We have no positional change to play for but it's a chance to beat Utd, and beating would prevent them from lifting the league at home. That alone should be incentive to go for the win.

Spite is a powerful emotion.

Al

I'd rather United win it than Liverpool tbf.
    Plus, as you've said, nothing to play for, may aswell blood some youth

3 tankings in a row...I don't think I could take that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Blooding youth at Old Trafford when United are playing the the league would be stupid.

They'd get destroyed, it ain't gonna do their development any good.

I'd rather United win it than Liverpool tbf.
    Plus, as you've said, nothing to play for, may aswell blood some youth

Regardless, do you really want to see them parading the trophy and celebrating after playing us? I think they'll definitely win it, but it's more exciting if it's on the last day of the season anyway!

• Advertisement

Blooding youth at Old Trafford when United are playing the the league would be stupid.

They'd get destroyed, it ain't gonna do their development any good.

+1

Full strength team has to start, obviously playing the squad players would greatly improve our chances of getting even more a hiding than we have recently from them!

Play our strongest 11 and hopefully get a good result and finish the season with some sort of positive actions! Beating the champions to be twice in the EPL is something to hold onto!!:eek:

First possible summer signing, and guess what he is 16 :p

From Setanta website
    Arsenal line up £1.3 million Argentine

Arsene Wenger will trial a new young Argentine goalkeeper who stands to cost Arsenal £1.3 million.

Damian Martinez of Independiente is preparing to spend a week at The Gunners’ training ground, where he will look to make the same impression on Wenger as he did on Arsenal’s scouts.

At just 16 years of age, Arsenal have already reportedly agreed a fixed £1.3 million deal should they decide to sign the keeper, who is an Argentina Under-17 international.

Wenger is on the lookout for new goalkeeping talent, having seen Lukasz Fabianski endure a torrid time over recent weeks, and Martinez is ready to grab hold of his dream.

"When I was told that I was going to have a trail at Arsenal I thought that someone was joking," he told Radio Rivadavia.

"In fact, I thought that they were talking about Arsenal de Sarandi, the team called like that but that plays in Argentina."

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    First possible summer signing, and guess what he is 16 :p

From Setanta website
    Could this be another Edu-esque f*ck up where he was actually meant to be going to the Arsenal in Argentina but somehow ended up on a plance to England?

Could this be another Edu-esque f*ck up where he was actually meant to be going to the Arsenal in Argentina but somehow ended up on a plance to England?

Hope not becuse we have already agreed a fee unless we are buying players for both Arsenals, maybe thats why we are broke :p

:D
    I'll take it if he's any use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I see plenty of reasons to play a full-strength side on Saturday. In no particular order:

- to be fair to the title race
    - to try and beat United
    - to try and end the season on a high note of sorts
    - to try and forget about the two-leg pasting we've just taken
    - to always have a good chance of a win (this wouldn't be like resting players against Stoke the following week, should Wenger choose to do so).

And I don't see any major need to rest players as it's not a Euro/World Cup/Olympic/Copa America year - with the exception of a few internationals and maybe Walcott playing with the U-21s, the players will have a full summer's rest.

So the only reason to blood new players is (a) if it's the right environment for them to gain experience (I don't think it is) or (b) if we're really so scared sh*tless of getting beaten by a very good team that we opt out completely, which I don't think is the right thing to do at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gosplan wrote: »
    Great, he's worth at least 60 million ;)
    I'd be tempted by 10m + Anelka I think.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/rosicky-i-was-nervous-before-first-session

Please just sit in a padded room and not move all summer. Please?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/rosicky-i-was-nervous-before-first-session

harsh :D

in fairness to him, he seems to be trying awful hard. you know it kills him to be on the sidelines, and there aren't many who'd be willing to forgo a summer holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Lol yeah we really really could do with his help! Someone get the cotton wool ;)

Hope he can get a full pre-season in, but at least now we know why he was out for 16 months:

LF19f75c_e_Kocurova_Rosicky_VaclavPancer_2004.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Walcott
    Nasri Arshavin Merida
    Denilson Fabregas
    Gibbs Djourou Toure Sagna
    Almunia

Do it Arsene, DO IT!

Anyone been watching any of the U17 European championships? England finished bottom of their group; they had Wilshere, Afobe and Freeman in the squad. Holland are into the semis (playing tomorrow morning) and Ozyakup has been impressive for them, or so I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'd be tempted by 10m + Anelka I think.

I'd take that.

Arsene Wenger has admitted that if Arsenal do not end their trophy drought in the next "one or two years" his strategy for the club will have failed.
    The Gunners have not won anything since 2005, but team boss Wenger called on supporters to rally behind his team.
    "If we do not deliver in one or two years I will be responsible," said the Frenchman, whose contract runs to 2011.
    "It is the most important moment in the life of this club and we have to be strong now and support this team."
    Wenger was speaking at a question and answer session with Arsenal shareholders at the Emirates Stadium.
    Questions for such events usually have to be pre-submitted, but on this occasion the floor was open and the Arsenal manager was involved in a couple of heated exchanges with disgruntled supporters.
    Having overseen a fourth consecutive season without silverware, he faced some fierce scrutiny over his transfer policy, team selection and tactics.
    The 59-year-old made an impassioned defence of his players, hit out those who have taken to haranguing them at home games and was particularly stung by claims they lack the stomach for a battle.
    "It is the easiest thing to sit in the stands and say they are not good enough, that they do not fight," said Wenger. "It is always that negative way of thinking, that the players do not care.
    "We are playing in the best league in the world and you do not go 21 games unbeaten if you do not stand up and fight.

"What these players have done this year in a negative environment shows they can stand up for their own responsibilities.
    "At the moment what this team needs is the support of the fans. I must say there is a massive difference between the away fans, who are absolutely fantastic, and the home fans."
    One shareholder was applauded for expressing a desire to see striker Emmanuel Adebayor - scorer of 30 goals last season and 16 this term - sold in the summer.
    "Adebayor is a great player and has done fantastically well for the club," Wenger responded. "He was the most sought-after player last year - all the big clubs wanted him and it will be the same again.
    "When we bought him nobody knew him and he became a great player. Players are quickly singled out and you realise how good a player is when they have gone.
    "At this level, when players don't do well it's because they've lost their confidence. The only way to help a guy who has lost confidence is to help him again and again. But by slaughtering him you don't help him."
    Wenger reacted angrily to a suggestion that 31-year-old defender Mikael Silvestre was a "geriatric".
    "I cannot accept that you speak about the players of your club like that," he said. "You are attacking the players and that is much worse [than attacking me]."

Arsenal supporters have had little to cheer this season
    While confirming that Arsenal would be bolstering their squad in the forthcoming transfer window, Wenger dismissed concerns over the quality of his current crop.
    "If tomorrow we say we have to sell the players do you want to know how many clubs would want to sign them?" said Wenger, referring specifically to Alexandre Song, Abou Diaby and Theo Walcott.
    "They have a huge value and if they go somewhere else, in two or three years you will say to me 'why did you let them go?'.
    "They are great players and they will show you that they are great players.
    "We are going in the right track and everyone at the club is convinced we are doing the right thing.
    "If we do not get there next year or the year after then you can say this was not the right way."
    Arsenal reached the FA Cup and Champions League semi-finals and, provided they come through a qualifying round, will contest Europe's premier club competition for a 12 successive season next term after guaranteeing fourth place in the Premier League.
    The revenues from their 60,000-seater stadium have placed them among the world's richest clubs and Wenger is optimistic.
    "This season has not been disastrous at all," he added. "One day you will look back and say it was not as bad as people thought.
    "But the most important thing is that, structure-wise, the club is in a fantastic situation.
    "We have built a massive new stadium and maintained this club at the top, top level in Europe and I'm very proud of that. The future of this club is great."

Link. I think the fans have been very patient to be honest, but are just at the end of their tether (I'm happy to go along for the ride though). He speaks of waiting another year or two before admitting his views and opinions are wrong...that will be far to late and even I will be well and truly fed up by then!

Wenger will have money to invest
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has told the club's shareholders that he will have money to buy new players in the summer.
    But Wengers insists he will not deviate from his cautious approach to the transfer market despite Arsenal failing to win a trophy since 2005.
    And after meeting the directors, Wenger told the shareholders at a question and answer session: "We spoke about funds and yes there is money available.
    "The price doubles when you mention a name but we will buy."
    Since moving to the Emirates Stadium in 2006, the Gunners boss has focused on nurturing young players rather than capturing experienced stars.
    Speaking to the media before the board meeting, Wenger said: "I have nothing against spending money.
    "We want to manage this club within its resources. If you want to get the club bust, I'm not the person to do that."
    The Gunners balanced last summer's outlay on playmaker Samir Nasri with the sale of Alexander Hleb, Gilberto Silva and Justin Hoyte.
    Despite the January signing of Zenit St Petersburg's Andrey Arshavin for a reported fee of £15m, Wenger has come under pressure from fans to increase his spending.
    Wenger gave a clue as to where he may splash out after highlighting defence as the main difference between his side and Premier League leaders Manchester United.

"If you look at the statistics of the two teams, we have scored a similar amount of goals," he said.
    "In the passing quality in the final third and in the opposition half, we are as good as Manchester United.
    "We have conceded more goals and that is where the difference lies; we have conceded 36, they have conceded 24."
    He also admitted any new signings would likely raise the average age of his youthful squad.
    "We don't need more players without experience. If we add people it will be with experience," he added.
    Billionaire Alisher Usmanov, who owns 25% of the club's shares, is one of those to have expressed concern over the strength of the club's squad after their Champions League exit to Manchester United last week.

United will match Liverpool's historic record of 18 league titles if they get a point against north London side on Saturday, but Wenger believes he can force a postponement in the party.
    "We can still delay it. We have a point to prove, definitely," he said.
    "We want to play for our pride and be respected for who we are, that is people who love the game they play.
    "We promised ourselves on 1 January we would give everything in every game until the end of the season. That is where we can show we are capable to do that."

We have money, woohoo!!! Oh wait, I've heard that before! What's that? Cautious approach? Right, I've heard that before too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bidding war between Man City and Chelsea for Adebayor please.
    I see we're being linked with an £18million move for Benzema. I'd rather Tevez though.

Arsenal need a goalscorer. A 30 goal a year man, another Thierry Henry (although he provided so much more than just goals).

Tevez is not the man for the job, nor Benzema. It's hard to think who would be.

• Advertisement

We're pretty good at scoring goals now that we've added Shava. I'd worry about the other end before trying to find another one in a generation like Henry.

Just watching the great Sir Tony Adams on Arsenal tv at the moment, would love to see him back at the club, I know he did not do too well at Portsmouth as manager, remember he had no money to spend with them and although he is not Arsenal manager material, he comes across very well , would make an excellent coach in some capacity. Great to see him.

^^^ just watching the repeat now, great to see Adams alright he really is Mr. Arsenal, made some good points and the respect between himself and Wenger must be very high.

Im sure Wenger has great time for him and it would be nice to see him at the club as mentioned above. Funny the way Tony was dropping the hints at the end of the show that hes more than available if arsenal want to come knocking with some sort of role for him!

All in all arsenaltv has been very good through out the season on friday nights especially!

Regards a 30 goal a season striker, im not too sure that player would be at the top of my list this summer either being realistic that is. Strenghten the defensive side of the team and if we can become just that bit more clinical in front of goal we really will be able to challenge for sliverware next season imo.

That Chelsea game for example last weekend, if we could have just scored one of those chances within the first 20 minutes that game had a home victory written all over imo.

Looking at our squad when fully fit I really do think we have a some quality quality players going forward that will create chances and take them when things are going right, its just at the other end where things need to change and an established centre half could be the difference along with a DM imo.

Regards Adebayor i cant say il be disappointed if he leaves but if he does i really dont want to see some unknown striker replacing him, again it will have to be a proven goalscorer at a decent level, difficult enough to find for the right price so its tough one regards Ade!

All in all arsenaltv has been very good through out the season on friday nights especially!

+1 love the fans forum and like Tom Watts, hard to believe he used to be in Eastenders.

Arsenal Pure Gold on atm showing 1-0 win away to Utd back in 02 to win the league, always good to watch brings back some great memories had the privilege of going to that game. Sitting amongst utd fans just to the right of the travelling arsenal fans but i still celebrated when wiltord scored!!brillant night!!

Tom Watts in eastenders :) thats news to me must google that one!!

Tom Watts in eastenders :) thats news to me must google that one!!

For years, he played a character called Lofty, here you go :D He comes in after about a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdrm0Fig8zQ

Cheers for the link was only 3 years old back then! Not to sure about the one you actually picked regards the title :) but still Lofty great name suited him!

He really is a true Londoner, and a very passionate Arsenal fan. Great host for the fans forum and also Arsenal live has been very good. Shovel goes a bit over the top to say the least but still dont mind watching him, always good to see passionate supporters even a times they dont talk much sense! Seen him outside Highbury 7/8 years ago and he still looks the exact same!

Arsene shareholders Q&A with Arsene, this will also be on Arsenal tv next tuesday night think it is on at 19:30

http://www.arsenalinsider.com/?p=4788

http://gunnerblog.com/?p=1712

http://gunnerblog.com/?p=1714

Interesting read, this will be a very big summer for us.

I'm not saying a 30 goal a season striker is a priority. But if people are going to mention names like Tevez and Benzema, I'm saying an out and out goal scorer is what's needed up front, neither of them are that. Adebayor is top goalscorer in the league for Arsenal with 2 games left. He has all of 10 goals. That's really not healthy.

I wouldn't get carried away with Arshavin yet either. His career goalscoring record isn't amazing. But yes the defence sucks, and I'd certainly like to see signings at centre back and centre mid before anywhere else.

Best bet is to sell Adebayor for hopefully a lot more than he's worth, shift Arshavin up front, and hope Rosicky is back to compete for Arshavin's place on the wing. Use the Adebayor money to buy defensive players, and hope Eduardo scores a shít load next season. I'm not calling for Adebayor's head, just that without his sale I can see another quiet summer in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The thing with Arshavin, and I don't want you to take this up the wrong way, is that he's had 2 months off. He could continue to be excellent next season but let's just see if he can keep it up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement