Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That hindered him more than anything; he was miles off fitness for the first few games.

If we sell a striker we should sell van Persie. Although I wouldn't mind if Adebayor was sold too. It'd give us a lot of money to bring in replacements in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

No Adebayor in the squad today, hopefully we get big money for him!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

and hope Eduardo scores a shít load next season.

Banking on this too
    itsjaybud wrote: »
    No Adebayor in the squad today, hopefully we get big money for him!!!:)

He's injured apparently

Ya a slight groin injury according to Wenger! In other words he doesnt have a bad injury and is in good condition for any clubs interested! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's injured apparently

Doesnt seem to happy with the fans

Soby wrote: »

He comes across as a really smart, earnest guy in that interview.
    I'd much rather he stay than go this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I'd much rather he stay than go this summer

He talked so fast i could'nt understand him half the time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Soby wrote: »

The feeling is mutual. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

He needs a decent partner in my opinion. Somebody quick and decisive with experience who can be creative up front. RVP, Bendtner, etc are all fine when it comes to nailing the ball into the net, but there's only so much Arsenal as a team can express outside the box. We need someone who can tear through defenses, and while Adebayor is good at that, when its 4 v 1 he's hardly ever expected to come out on top.

But that's hardly are priority now. Need to sort the back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This season v previous seasons:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  37  19  12   6  64  36  28  69
    2007-2008:  37  23  11   3  73  31  42  80 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007:  37  19  10   8  63  35  28  67 ( 4th)
    2005-2006:  37  19   7  11  64  29  35  64 ( 4th)
    2004-2005:  37  25   8   4  86  34  52  83 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004:  37  25  12   0  71  25  46  87 ( 1st)
    2002-2003:  37  22   9   6  81  42  39  75 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002:  37  25   9   3  75  33  42  84 ( 1st)
    2000-2001:  37  20  10   7  61  35  26  70 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000:  37  22   7   8  71  39  32  73 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999:  37  21  12   4  58  17  41  75 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998:  37  23   9   5  68  32  36  78 ( 1st)
    1996-1997:  37  18  11   8  59  31  28  65 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996:  37  16  12   9  47  31  16  60 ( 5th)

Rolling season:
    2008-2009:  38  20  12   6  65  36  29  72

Current run:
    2008-2009:   2   0   1   1   1   4  -3   1

I honestly don't think Arsenal are as far off the other 3 as everyone in the media and some others seem to think. there is alot of factors why we are not as close.
    1. Firstly as much as it pains me to day it United are a fantastic team at grinding out the unlikely scrappy wins, which in contrast arsenal seem to strive for the perfect goal and wont abandon that philosophy at any cost.
    2. Our work rate could do with alot of improving. Diaby is one such player who has alot of question marks over him in that sense but this team can work hard when it wants to as yesterday proved and also 8th november 08 proved.
    3. We carried over alot of injuries from last season, notably eduardo and rosicky and had alot of niggly injuries too throughout the season as well as Cesc, Gallas, Walcott out for months albeit at separate parts of season
    4. Our squad is generally smaller then the other 3 and far more youthful/inexperienced yet in the premier league we done well against them as the table suggests

Liverpool 6 4 0 2 14
      Arsenal 6 2 1 3 9
      Chelsea 6 1 4 1 7
      Man United 6 1 3 2 6

Fair enough we lost to united twice in UCL. We were genuinely out fought in first leg but perhaps got alot of bad luck after a bright start in second leg. We also lost to chelsea in second leg with goalkeeping errors. Gallas was huge loss in those games in all honesty. Him and Toure were starting to gel

5. We are doing well for a club of our financial resources by comparison to Chelsea or United's. Our squad is coming of age, i mean we beat Roma in Rome in a penalty shootout. It took some guts to 7 young men to put penalties away especially after missing their first in a very hostile ground it must be said.

Hmmm the under 18s are playing Tottenham tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I honestly don't think Arsenal are as far off the other 3 as everyone in the media and some others seem to think. there is alot of factors why we are not as close.
    Firstly as much as it pains me to day it United are a fantastic team at grinding out the unlikely scrappy wins, which in contrast arsenal seem to strive for the perfect goal and wont abandon that philosophy at any cost.

nail, head, hammer. this Arsenal squad have shown time and time again (with a bit more depth needed) they can mix it up with the heavy weights of Europe. Yet they consistently struggle against teams they should be beating easily. this is Wenger's fault imo, the signing of Arshavin has helped, but he really needs to focus on the teams clinicism in the preseason.
    Our work rate could do with alot of improving. Diaby is one such player who has alot of question marks over him in that sense but this team can work hard when it wants to as yesterday proved and also 8th november 08 proved.

Diaby needs to go. Bags of raw talent, but is essentially the same player who arrived, he's next to no progress really. Shouldn't waste more time trying to develop him, and letting him go might serve as a helpful wake up to some of the others to don't put the effort in (i.e. Bendtner, RVP, Gallas).
    We carried over alot of injuries from last season, notably eduardo and rosicky and had alot of niggly injuries too throughout the season as well as Cesc, Gallas, Walcott out for months albeit at separate parts of season

Injuries will always occur, no point dwelling on them. The team Wenger puts out on the vast majority of occasions should have been capable winning regardless.
    Our squad is generally smaller then the other 3 and far more youthful/inexperienced yet in the premier league we done well against them as the table suggests

this is an illusion tbh. the only positions where they are considerably weaker in terms of depth are CB and arguably the GK.

I'd say get in a CB and an outright winger and upgrade the injury prone (RVP, Rosicky) to more reliable models and you'll be flyin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wahey! We won the league at White Hart Lane:D

• Advertisement

I'd say get in a CB and an outright winger and upgrade the injury prone (RVP, Rosicky) to more reliable models and you'll be flyin'.

You have a point with a centre back but Rosicky and van Persie i dont agree with. both are very experienced and Van Persie despite being one of our top scorers this season, despite a recent bad patch is being used as a scapegoat. we need experience next season. If both can manage their fitness next season they will be quiet useful.

Very impressed with under 18's. after being 25 point runaway leaders of their division they deserve silverware, and no doubt about it and it will transfer to senior level in a matter of time, of that im sure. Hopefully we can beat a very good young Liverpool team next week and complete the double. wow its like 1971 all over again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Van Persie despite being one of our top scorers this season, despite a recent bad patch is being used as a scapegoat.

Definitely agree with this. The guy was carrying the team at one point, through it's really bad patch (January - February). I just wish he'd get a few more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Firstly as much as it pains me to day it United are a fantastic team at grinding out the unlikely scrappy wins, which in contrast arsenal seem to strive for the perfect goal and wont abandon that philosophy at any cost.

Most people have easily forgotten that Utd and Fergie went from 02/03 to 06/07 winning only one FA cup in 04. This was nothing to do with football philosophy.

What happened to turn it around? Well his team came together, he got rid of the dead wood, his new buys were spot on but most importantly, the Chelsea challenge dropped off. This put United to the top and the impact of Ronaldo has made the difference in the leagues since.

For Arsenal to do the same we need similar events. Get rid of the dead wood, the team needs to click, but put simply, if Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool (and Man city?) play to their potential, we simply might not be able to win trophies.

I think that what we all want to see after the last few weeks is a closer challenge. Determining whether Wenger is a success or not next season doesn't simply rest on silverware, we just need to be moving in the right direction.

As regards philosophy, you could argue that United's quick route to goal is more effective but back when Arsenal last had a really solid defence and we were dominant, we basically conceded very few goals and kept the majority of possession against everyone. To me, that's a very sound philosophy.

I like Wenger's comments about Real tbh.

I don't believe for a minute he would go but he also knows just how much the football media could get out of a word like of a word like 'interesting'.

I think it's a clear message to the board and the idiots saying his time has come and gone at Arsenal - something along the lines of 'I have options, think for a minute about what it would be like if I did actually go.'

Also fair play to him, about time someone turned the tables and used Real Madrid for their own benefit in the media.

Definitely agree with this. The guy was carrying the team at one point, through it's really bad patch (January - February). I just wish he'd get a few more goals.
    You have a point with a centre back but Rosicky and van Persie i dont agree with. both are very experienced and Van Persie despite being one of our top scorers this season, despite a recent bad patch is being used as a scapegoat. we need experience next season. If both can manage their fitness next season they will be quiet useful.

on his day he's fantastic and i can see where you're coming from, but...

he's had more then enough opportunity to stake himself an integral part of the team. his inconsistency though has meant he's never taken it. he'll score a stunner in one minute, then selfishly waste about 4 opportunities thereafter... everyone remembers the goals he scored, but they forget how many opportunities he spurned on those occasions. some of those draws could have been easily turned into wins were RVP more consistent.

secondly, Wenger's given him a lot of time to recover his fitness, but he's still shown he's far too susceptible to little niggles.

thirdly, his personality is pretty awful. bit like Henry in his latter years at Arsenal, he just whinges and moans too much. you can point to Ronaldo or Drogba i suppose, but they seem to gel a lot better with their team mates than RVP imo.

finally, the guys work rate is awful. he's shoved off the ball far too easy and falls over way too much. he really needs to take a leaf out of Rooney's book and learn how to compete physically.

given the above, you'll never win the league if you're relying on individuals like RVP. at best, you need players to compensate for his failings on the pitch (like Rooney compensates for Ronaldo's complete and utter lack of industry), which Arsenal don't have and won't obtain at short notice.

i'd prefer to just dump him and find someone better to build a team around.

edit: could Vela be the answer? =p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Source Daily Star
    Huge doubts were cast over the future of Arsene Wenger yesterday when he refused to deny meeting Real Madrid president-elect Florentino Perez.

#bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; }

The Arsenal boss was quizzed on French TV and asked if he had spoken with the man who, barring an amazing turnaround, will take control at the Bernabeu on June 14.

The fact Perez wants Wenger as replacement for Juande Ramos is widely known, but now it appears the Frenchman has been listening to his overtures.

When he was asked if he had had talks with Perez, Wenger replied: “Would you allow me to remain discreet on the subject?” Then he added: “I don't believe so.”

It is understood further details about the talks are due to be published in France today, with a meeting believed to have been held on Tuesday.

And Wenger dropped a massive hint he was ready to leave north London after 13 seasons when he admitted: "With Perez, the project will be really interesting for every coach."

It has been reported Wenger’s contract at The Emirates runs until 2011, but there were suggestions yesterday the 59-year-old may have get-out clauses in his deal.

On his contract, he said: "Usually, I always go the end of my contract"

Perez first tried to get him in 2003 when Wenger said he always honoured his contract.

But after another disappointing season – Arsenal’s last trophy was the FA Cup in 2005 – Wenger looks to be falling out of love with the club.

In the build-up to Saturday’s 0-0 with Manchester United, Wenger revealed he felt he was being treated like a murderer because the Gunners had won nothing again.

“The way people have been assessing the situations of the clubs has become ridiculously unfair,” he complained.

“We made it into the last four in Europe, yet every day you feel as if you’ve killed someone.

“It’s unbelievable. You have to take a distance from it otherwise it makes you think what kind of world do we live in.”

Wenger has also told friends he has become increasingly frustrated by the lack of funds at The Emirates.

That would not be the case at Real Madrid where Perez is talking about making huges bids for Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka of Milan and also Wenger’s skipper at Arsenal, Cesc Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

JP Liz wrote: »
    Source Daily Star

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Guardian article says the same
    I hope it's just some sort of manoeuvre for more funds or respect or something. I'd hate it if he left the premier league.

Wenger isn't going to Real Madrid. Next...

Regarding the strikers situation, this season's goal scoring stats:

van Persie - 37 starts, 6 subs; 18 goals (4 penalties)
    Adebayor - 30 starts, 7 subs; 16 goals (2 penalties)
    Bendtner - 27 starts, 23 subs; 15 goals (1 penalty)

Should cash in on Adebayor and van Persie now while we can and use the money to strengthen other areas (priority: CB, DM, AM, ST, GK).

In fairness to RVP:

He's been playing a lot of the season with a strike partner who hasn't linked up well with anyone.

Fabregas has been injured and playing out of position for a lot of the season so the service from midfield hasn't been too great.

We're probably getting rid of Adebayor so we really can't lose him too.

He's been injured a bit but you can't really single him out for that.

He contributed to most or all our goals during Jan/Feb. Not losing too much ground to Villa/Everton during Cesc's absence is the reason we're in fourth.

It's the other way around. van Persie doesn't link well with any of our strikers. A month and a half purple patch isn't enough. He wouldn't get into United or Chelsea's first team, he probably wouldn't get into Liverpool's and he shouldn't get into ours.

Getting rid of the 2 main strikers would be a bad move. One is fine, two is just disrupting the team all over again. Sends a bad message out yet again to players like Cesc about the ambitions of the club too.

Only if the funds aren't reinvested. We've got 7 forwards at the club now so we can afford to trim the squad up top.

Yeah but if you get rid of Adebayor & van Persie you're left with Eduardo, Bendtner, Vela, Arshavin, Walcott.

Eduardo will hopefully come good, he may have permanent fitness issues however.

Bendtner is Bendtner, he's useful for a plan B but I'd never want him near a starting position.

Vela is young and unproven.

Arshavin is top quality, Arsene may not see him as a striker though.

Walcott is far from the finished product, wouldn't be too confident if he was in front of goal.

Arshavin & particularly Walcott are more seen as midfielders anyway so I don't think it's fair to say there are 7 forwards at the club. There are 3 - 4 ones I'd be happy with in Adebayor, van Persie, Eduardo & Arshavin. If the club get rid of more than one of them then I think the club will struggle for goals next season. Anybody coming is going to take time to adjust to the premier league etc.

The main point people have been arguing this season is Wengers seeming inability to keep his squad together, that people leave too easily.

Now people are suggesting we sell Ade, RVP and Diaby, among others.

:confused:

There is no logic in that, personally I'd like to see the entire squad stay together with the exception of one or two youngsters going out on loan (Ramsey, Randall etc)
    That way we have another year with the same players, plus hopefully one or two new players to add into it.
    Aswell we have Traore coming back from loan and possibly Senderos.

• Advertisement

The main point people have been arguing this season is Wengers seeming inability to keep his squad together, that people leave too easily.

Now people are suggesting we sell Ade, RVP and Diaby, among others.

:confused:

There is no logic in that
    Of course there's not going to be logic if you take the opinions of multiple people and merge them together.

We've got quite a big squad in some respects but we're short on quality in the first team. I think we should be looking to bring in three new first teamers this summer and that is going to cost quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

As I understand it Senderos's loan is up now and he is out of contract at Arsenal. Either Milan will pay for his services or he comes back to us and is either is given a new contract or moves on.

I hope we don't sell any players. Imagine next season with Arshavin running the show and with so many options all around him we will score bucket loads. Wenger wants to keep the core squad together for next season(s). I'm very optimistic for next season.

4 years without a trophy now and still waiting for the Dubs to lift the All Ireland for the first time since 1995, I have to be.

I don't think Senderos is out of contract with us. Wenger's comments the other day certainly didn't suggest that anyway.

Didn't they mention it when he out to Milan that he had one year left on his Arsenal contract? Thought I remembered hearing that at the time.

Wenger's comments at the AST meeting suggested that Milan have to pay Arsenal a pre-agreed fee if they want him so I don't think he can be a free agent this summer.

Anyone get those free Match Attacks cards with the paper the other day? I got Arshavin! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Arsenal are selling Adebayour or Van Persie, I'd hope United would get in there.
    Van Persie imo is the most talented striker in the PL after Rooney and Torres. Utterly fantastic player, who in the right system, could really be special. Not sure Arsenal's system suits him though.

Selling both Ade & RVP is crazy talk imo! If Ade goes during the summer the money has to be reinvested in another striker. Trimming the squad down up top makes no sense whatsoever, we need badly to build on the current squad instead of letting players go like RVP.

Granted he might not start for United but as for Chelsea and Liverpool he would be a starter. If they both played the same system as Arsenal im pretty sure RVP gets in there ahead of the likes of Malouda,Riera,Benayoun.

Anyway hes not going to be sold during the summer, I think Ade, Diaby and a defender will be offloaded along with what was already mentioned regards going out on loan.

After both Denilson and Songs performance against utd on saturday i would be shocked if either of these players is let go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd be happy to seeAde go,would rather RVP stayed though, if he found his best form and doesnt get injured he'd be lethal. I think if eduardo gets back to full fitnness he'll come good, bendtner is a good plan B as was said. Rosicky could be back in the team come sptember too, if wenger can get a quality combative midfielder to add to the existing set up we'd be very strong in the middle of the park, I think a decent centre-back is top priority though,as the likes of denilson and song are only going to get better.

If Ade goes, and even RVP it's looking like both Tevez and Eto'o are both available this summer, get the wallet out Arsene!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If Ade goes, and even RVP it's looking like both Tevez and Eto'o are both available this summer, get the wallet out Arsene!!

Wouln't say no to Eto'o but the whole Tevez thing would be more trouble than its worth, especially when I feel a fully fit Eduardo could do the same job as Tevez.

Indie18 wrote: »
    Wouln't say no to Eto'o but the whole Tevez thing would be more trouble than its worth, especially when I feel a fully fit Eduardo could do the same job as Tevez.

not really... Eduardo is more of a poacher/finisher, Tevez more the terrier/link-up type. I think they could be a good combo.

not gonna happen though, no way would Wenger have that much to spend on a single player. notions of Eto'o or Tevez are laughable really.

Ive heard that Tevez might be available for as little as 15million due to some bizarre clause in his contract. Probably just paper talk though.

PHB wrote: »
    If Arsenal are selling Adebayour or Van Persie, I'd hope United would get in there.
    Van Persie imo is the most talented striker in the PL after Rooney and Torres. Utterly fantastic player, who in the right system, could really be special. Not sure Arsenal's system suits him though.
    He wouldn't fit into United's system any better than he does Arsenal's. He looked great as a youngster; he was quick, aggressive and unpredictable. He's lost much of the individualism and is generally quite slow and predictable now. He slows the game down far too much and doesn't add enough to the play. The occasional moment of highlight reel flair doesn't make up for it.

We'd be much better off with Arshavin playing off the striker and Walcott either playing as that striker, or sitting on the bench (preferably the latter for now). Neither of them like playing out wide and they don't have the defensive know-how for it either. We'd be better off with actual midfielders in midfield who better balance the attacking aspects with the defensive so we can get back to having a disciplined midfield unit that fills spaces. Our defensive problems start in the midfield; it isn't just our defenders that are the problem.

What if we sign Michael Owen (finally). Sure Gary (Lewin) and the boys looked after him for England. With Arshavin and Walcott/Nasri playing around him we would be unreal. It would re-ignite Owen himself, with the World Cup next year. Think it is a transfer that may happen over the summer. I, in fact welcome it.

Owen? No thanks. There's enough injury problems as there is.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't take Owen over any of our strikers tbh.

We'd be much better off with Arshavin playing off the striker and Walcott either playing as that striker, or sitting on the bench (preferably the latter for now). Neither of them like playing out wide and they don't have the defensive know-how for it either. We'd be better off with actual midfielders in midfield who better balance the attacking aspects with the defensive so we can get back to having a disciplined midfield unit that fills spaces. Our defensive problems start in the midfield; it isn't just our defenders that are the problem.

I want to see Arshavin remain playing from some sort of midfield role next season and hopefully get into double figures regards goals. We need to get back to the days of having our midfield players scoring plenty of goals and in some cases be the deciding factor in those tight games where we find it difficult to break down so called lesser opponents.

Ljungbergs goals back in 01/02 season were vital and i think Arshavin could do a similar job from a midfield position. Also Cesc has showed it in the past that he can get goals for us aswell and these could be the difference in winning or not.

I know its placing alot on Arshavin doing well next season but its hard not to after what he has done already when hes only just settling into the club. Getting goals from midfield takes so much pressure off the top two and the team as a whole would benefit greatly from it.

Regards Arshavin and Walcotts defensive abilities, im not too sure Rosicky or Nasri would enjoy tracking back any more than the two mentioned! True our defensive problems does start with the midfield but if we just get in a quality established DM alongside Cesc, I think it will greatly help make up for either of our wingers lack of determination to sometimes not provide cover for the likes of Sagna & Clichy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

We'd be much better off with Arshavin playing off the striker and Walcott either playing as that striker, or sitting on the bench (preferably the latter for now).
    I know you've been punting this 'ship them both out' theory for a while but I still don't fully understand where you're coming from (especially when a new striker seems to be so far down your list of priorities). Are you banking on Eduardo staying fully fit all season with Bendtner/Theo as joint second choice?

I'm all for Arshavin mainly playing off the striker and (even more so) not leaving ourselves too exposed in the wide areas but:

(1) I'd like to have options. By all means sell either Ade or RVP (probably the latter for contract/injury reasons), but if both go, I'm not sure we have enough options up top. Especially if we sometimes want to play Arshavin left side and 2 up top.
    (2) If we sign a good CB, our soft centre/susceptibility to crosses (maybe not directly, but we're pants at clearing them) become less of a problem. Hence we'd be happier about playing central-drifting players out wide sometimes.
    (3) I'm becoming increasingly unsure about how clinical Theo really is. When he finishes well, he looks dynamite but I've seen him miss too many chances now (even when he's been in a good confident mood) to be sure that he's ever going to start doing that full-time.

Well moe, my view of getting rid of both Adebayor and van Persie is generally based on the assumption that we'd bring in a striker to offset that - somebody like Dzeko, Pogrebnyak or another. However, if the funds were reinvested into the side elsewhere and the right players came in then not buying another striker might not be that bad news. If the money significantly strengthened our back four and midfield, then it could offset the potential fall-off, if any, from losing those two. Eduardo, should he stay fit, could fill the void; Bendtner, still just 21, is improving and has scored as many goals from open play this season as either Adebayor and van Persie; Walcott is a striker in my books and will do well when he gets to play there; while Vela I think is underestimated a little bit as he has been used sparingly while he settles in this season, and is ready for a bigger role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I agree that Bendtner is improving all the time and I think his attitude is generally spot on effort-wise (extremely important with some of the other players we have in the squad) but I'd rather have an extra player for a season than find out that Walcott/Vela shouldn't have been promoted so quickly. Going for Pogrebnyak/Dzeko (say 10m or so for either of them?) is fine but it seems like an unnecessary gamble to me when we don't know how well they'd settle, how they'd fit into the team, etc. Plus Ade might well only go for 15m this summer so would that risk/upheaval be worth 5m?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement