Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just a heads up, Tuesday on Arsenal TV 19:30, Shareholders Meeting, believe it has been edited removing some of the more difficult questions, still will be worth a watch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, whether we do business obviously depends on the figures.

For example, as I understand it Pogrebnyak's contract expires late in 2009, so he could be available at a knock-down price in the summer. I doubt he'd represent any real improvement on say Adebayor but if it freed up 10 or 15m, that could give us a top class player in another position.

For me van Persie and Adebayor are two of our most saleable assets; we're quite well stocked in that position and they don't contribute as much as their value suggests (so we should cash in before this becomes more generally acknowledged). Look at our strength in depth in attack and compare it to central midfield or central defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wouldn't take Owen over any of our strikers tbh.

Ditto. Last thing we need is another sicknote.

itsjaybud wrote: »
    I want to see Arshavin remain playing from some sort of midfield role next season and hopefully get into double figures regards goals. We need to get back to the days of having our midfield players scoring plenty of goals and in some cases be the deciding factor in those tight games where we find it difficult to break down so called lesser opponents.
    It doesn't matter where the goals come from, and imo we'll create more chances with Arshavin central than out wide. In the days we had Ljungberg and Pires weighing in with double figures we also had Bergkamp in the centre dropping deep and setting things up. We've missed that. Adebayor and van Persie score more than Bergkamp but they don't create like him. Arshavin can.
    Regards Arshavin and Walcotts defensive abilities, im not too sure Rosicky or Nasri would enjoy tracking back any more than the two mentioned! True our defensive problems does start with the midfield but if we just get in a quality established DM alongside Cesc, I think it will greatly help make up for either of our wingers lack of determination to sometimes not provide cover for the likes of Sagna & Clichy.
    Rosicky and Nasri are terrific workers. They've both played in central midfield in their careers so they are much better suited to the defensive stuff than Arshavin and Walcott who are more used to playing as forwards.

Besides, even if they learned to be more discplined defensively, putting them there to do that dogwork is a waste of their talent. We should be giving Arshavin freedom ala Ronaldo at United, and Walcott just plain isn't very good in midfield. Doesn't have the skillset.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DenMan wrote: »
    What if we sign Michael Owen (finally). Sure Gary (Lewin) and the boys looked after him for England. With Arshavin and Walcott/Nasri playing around him we would be unreal. It would re-ignite Owen himself, with the World Cup next year. Think it is a transfer that may happen over the summer. I, in fact welcome it.

Owen would be quality if he could stay fit, tbh it looks like his career's over at the top level to me. Newcastle have a habit of doing that to players it seems
    > Damien Duff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We'd be much better off with Arshavin playing off the striker and Walcott either playing as that striker, or sitting on the bench (preferably the latter for now). Neither of them like playing out wide and they don't have the defensive know-how for it either. We'd be better off with actual midfielders in midfield who better balance the attacking aspects with the defensive so we can get back to having a disciplined midfield unit that fills spaces. Our defensive problems start in the midfield; it isn't just our defenders that are the problem.

I'm not sure if I get this.

Sure everyone wants to see Arshavin off the main striker but you figure we should just have Eduardo and Bendtner as that main striker or are you saying keep Ade and let RVP go?

Very few of our players have covered themselves in glory this year. Ade and RVP both had much better seasons last year but for me the difference is in their attitude this season, RVP's has been quite good and he has contributed, Ade hasn't.

Selling both would be sheer stupidity IMO. You begin next season feeling comfortable about a Eduardo/Arshavin combination up front and that's it, anything else and the doubts creep in.

I take your point about Walcott in midfield but I don't think he's ready to be relied on up front. Sadly, bar the odd great moment, he still seems to be about pace and nothing else.

Wouldn't take Owen over any of our strikers reserves tbh.

FYP

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I get this.

Sure everyone wants to see Arshavin off the main striker but you figure we should just have Eduardo and Bendtner as that main striker or are you saying keep Ade and let RVP go?

Very few of our players have covered themselves in glory this year. Ade and RVP both had much better seasons last year but for me the difference is in their attitude this season, RVP's has been quite good and he has contributed, Ade hasn't.

Selling both would be sheer stupidity IMO. You begin next season feeling comfortable about a Eduardo/Arshavin combination up front and that's it, anything else and the doubts creep in.

I take your point about Walcott in midfield but I don't think he's ready to be relied on up front. Sadly, bar the odd great moment, he still seems to be about pace and nothing else.

Sorry, you've answered all of this in between then and now.

We've been linked with the worlds most evil looking player - Thomas Vermaelen.

Saw him play for Ajax a year or two ago. Looks like a serial killer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Vermaelen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

We've been linked with the worlds most evil looking player - Thomas Vermaelen.

Saw him play for Ajax a year or two ago. Looks like a serial killer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Vermaelen

Good. That's what we want. A solid defender with eyes of steel. Imagine Felaini or the Rafael twins with their afros strutting into the Arsenal defense and bam...nice to meet ya. He does look like a James Bond villian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I want to see Arshavin remain playing from some sort of midfield role next season and hopefully get into double figures regards goals. We need to get back to the days of having our midfield players scoring plenty of goals and in some cases be the deciding factor in those tight games where we find it difficult to break down so called lesser opponents.

Ljungbergs goals back in 01/02 season were vital and i think Arshavin could do a similar job from a midfield position. Also Cesc has showed it in the past that he can get goals for us aswell and these could be the difference in winning or not.

Arshavin is a central player. almost all his goals come from him drifting towards the more central positions. he's not strong enough or industrious enough to play as a CM, so the best place for him is in the support strikers role (like the role that got the most out of Hleb). He's the most creative player on the books at the moment. He's got pace, vision and an eye for goal. Exactly what's missing up front at the mo with RVP and Ade. Why play him anywhere else when you can give him the freedom to get the most out of his abilities?
    Regards Arshavin and Walcotts defensive abilities, im not too sure Rosicky or Nasri would enjoy tracking back any more than the two mentioned! True our defensive problems does start with the midfield but if we just get in a quality established DM alongside Cesc, I think it will greatly help make up for either of our wingers lack of determination to sometimes not provide cover for the likes of Sagna & Clichy.

have you watched Nasri or Rosicky at all? Sure they aren't hard tackling heavyweights, but they are well capable of throwing themselves into a tackle here and there, and Nasri in particular is very effective at harrying opponents off the ball. Contrast that with Walcott who can only jog lazily around them, he tries but he just doesn't have a notion of how to close down players effectively. Arshavin's better at it, but it's a complete waste to place additional defensive burdens on him. Keep him up front and make his sole responsibility to find space.

if the offers come in for Ade and RVP, we should take them. This still gives us 5 concrete options up front, and arguably forces proper the proper target man / creative man pairing that we've been missing so much of.

Eduardo/Bendtner/Walcott

Arshavin/Vela

not to mention that both Rosicky and Nasri are capable of playing an advanced/support striker role if needed , they both have the creativity to do so (although Nasri needs a bit more experience).

here's my desired script for the summer (using FM notation :)):

Transfers Out:
    ST - Ade
    ST -RVP
    CM - Diaby

Transfers In:
    AMR - don't really care as long as they can cross a ball, which is something that's really lacking in the current team. feck it, i'd nearly take back Bently... :eek:
    CM - not overly fussy, Denilson and Song are coming along nicely, but if the opportunity came to buy someone like Veloso, or again someone more experienced like Barry/Alonso i think we should snap them up (although i know the chances are fairly nonexistent).
    DC - I still want Zapata, although the Ajax fellah sounds alright.

those sales would hopefully generate around 30 million (say 15 for Ade, 10 for RVP and, with a bit of luck, maybe up to 5 for Diaby). Then the supposed kitty is around 13, that gives us near 40/45 to spend. That should be able to get us in some quality in the areas above and give us a better balanced squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

First of all I'd like to say that's a very good post. Now...
    have you watched Nasri or Rosicky at all? Sure they aren't hard tackling heavyweights, but they are well capable of throwing themselves into a tackle here and there, and Nasri in particular is very effective at harrying opponents off the ball.

I'd definitely have to agree with this, one of the things that has most impressed me about Nasri this year is his defensive tracking, he really works his socks off and gives the opposition very little time on the ball.
    if the offers come in for Ade and RVP, we should take them. This still gives us 5 concrete options up front, and arguably forces proper the proper target man / creative man pairing that we've been missing so much of.

Eduardo/Bendtner/Walcott

Arshavin/Vela

One of the things I'm really hoping for next year is for Eduardo to remain fit. He is absolutely clinical in front of goal, something we've been sorely lacking. Keep him fit for a season and have him playing as among our first choice and I reckon he's easily worth 18+ goals in the league. Especially with Fabregas and Arshavin to set him up.

Transfers Out:
    ST - Ade
    ST -RVP
    CM - Diaby

I'd really like to keep RVP and Ade, although if we get a decent offer for Diaby I'd be happy enough to let him go.

Transfers In:
    AMR - don't really care as long as they can cross a ball, which is something that's really lacking in the current team. feck it, i'd nearly take back Bently... :eek:
    CM - not overly fussy, Denilson and Song are coming along nicely, but if the opportunity came to buy someone like Veloso, or again someone more experienced like Barry/Alonso i think we should snap them up (although i know the chances are fairly nonexistent).
    DC - I still want Zapata, although the Ajax fellah sounds alright.

Alonso or Veloso would be 3.gif
    those sales would hopefully generate around 30 million (say 15 for Ade, 10 for RVP and, with a bit of luck, maybe up to 5 for Diaby). Then the supposed kitty is around 13, that gives us near 40/45 to spend. That should be able to get us in some quality in the areas above and give us a better balanced squad.

As I said I'd prefer not to sell Ade or RVP but if it came to it I reckon we could certainly get a better price for them.
    If City are involved I'd be looking at 25+ for Ade.
    And if RVP is going to go it's no big secret he's very much admired by Real, who aren't exactly known for being overly pragmatic in the transfer market.
    I reckon we could get upward of 16 million for him, wouldn't be suprised at 20.

In my last post i forgot to emphasise how important i think it is to buy an out and out winger for the summer. Arsenal really really REALLY lack width. Rosicky/Nasri/Walcott all tend to drift inside on the ball. This isn't a huge problem in itself but one of the reasons we are so sh*t at beating the smaller teams consistently is that we fail to spread their defences effectively. Instead the narrowness allows them to compact themselves and makes them more difficult to break down.

We need proper wingers, who can stay out wide and bang in crosses effectively while the opposition defences are spread. With the emphasise on possession and keeping the ball on the ground these days, people forget how much damage a good old fashioned crosser can do. Even if you don't offer the ariel threat, the danger posed by a good high cross and the ability for it to ricochet anywhere in the box should never be underestimated. We really really need a winger or two, even to just give us that additional unpredicability in our play.

I'd prioritize the right ahead of the left as Walcott is really our only option there at the mo, although in an ideal world i'd like to see us get in options for both sides if the cash were available. They don't have to be world beaters, just someone who can gives us that additional option.

Arshavin needs to play up front. Either 4-4-2 as support striker or 4-5-1 as most advanced midfielder - but that's pretty much the same thing.

IMO, we need someone like Alonso/Veloso (neither of whom we'll get close to btw), a big aggressive CB (I'd take the 27 year old Hangeland in a shot), and a RMF who can attack and defend (god knows who).

If we had three such targets in mind and selling Ade + Diaby along with the money we'd get from the dog food factory for Silvestre wasn't going to raise the captial, I'd probably consider selling RVP.

However, selling RVP with a view towards bringing in another striker doesn't make too much sense.

Edited to include: The thoughts of Cesc, Arshavin & Rosicky in the same team is comforting. This season we've had one player who could pick a pass and he was missing for a large part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Arshavin is a central player. almost all his goals come from him drifting towards the more central positions. he's not strong enough or industrious enough to play as a CM, so the best place for him is in the support strikers role (like the role that got the most out of Hleb). He's the most creative player on the books at the moment. He's got pace, vision and an eye for goal. Exactly what's missing up front at the mo with RVP and Ade. Why play him anywhere else when you can give him the freedom to get the most out of his abilities?

Im not trying to tie Arshavin to the left handside line of the pitch at all, im sure he will be given freedom to roam into central positions and link play, but also can be used to great effective for driving at players from the left. The likes of Walcott can keep the width to the team on the opposite side of the field, i dont really buy into the idea that Walcott tends to dift in field alot. Giving Arshavin this type role will get plenty out of his abilities and the new DM becomes a key component in providing cover for Clichy when Arshavin is caught up field.

[/quote]
    have you watched Nasri or Rosicky at all? Sure they aren't hard tackling heavyweights, but they are well capable of throwing themselves into a tackle here and there, and Nasri in particular is very effective at harrying opponents off the ball. Contrast that with Walcott who can only jog lazily around them, he tries but he just doesn't have a notion of how to close down players effectively. Arshavin's better at it, but it's a complete waste to place additional defensive burdens on him. Keep him up front and make his sole responsibility to find space. [/quote]

Its quite a similar post to that of Pepes, but I think you misread my post i never said that Nasri or Rosicky were not able or effective at tracking back, defending and winning the ball. That wasnt my point at all, and tbh i cant recall Rosicky's defensive abilities for obvious reasons!

As for Nasri I think his performances have gone down a notch or two in latter stages of the season and our most recent game last saturday he was pretty much in and out of the game. He didnt really provide that much cover for Sagna against Rooney. Granted he has shown he is more than capable of winning the ball back and setting up attacks and both Walcott and Nasri for that position is ideal imo. Walcott is still developing and is working on the physical side to his game and will need more time but i still hold high hopes for him becoming a very good player wide right for Arsenal.

In my last post i forgot to emphasise how important i think it is to buy an out and out winger for the summer. Arsenal really really REALLY lack width. Rosicky/Nasri/Walcott all tend to drift inside on the ball. This isn't a huge problem in itself but one of the reasons we are so sh*t at beating the smaller teams consistently is that we fail to spread their defences effectively. Instead the narrowness allows them to compact themselves and makes them more difficult to break down.

We need proper wingers, who can stay out wide and bang in crosses effectively while the opposition defences are spread. With the emphasise on possession and keeping the ball on the ground these days, people forget how much damage a good old fashioned crosser can do. Even if you don't offer the ariel threat, the danger posed by a good high cross and the ability for it to ricochet anywhere in the box should never be underestimated. We really really need a winger or two, even to just give us that additional unpredicability in our play.

I'd prioritize the right ahead of the left as Walcott is really our only option there at the mo, although in an ideal world i'd like to see us get in options for both sides if the cash were available. They don't have to be world beaters, just someone who can gives us that additional option.

Wenger has plenty of options going forward imo, we certainly dont need another player for the right or the left. Walcott and Nasri for that spot is plenty, with regards them tending the drift inside maybe Nasri can be guilty of this a times but we do have Sagna who likes to move forward and occupy the space for crossing the ball. I know hes shocking at it and needs to drastically improve but an out and out winger is not what this current squad needs

If one of our strikers goes which looks like Adebayor atm it has to be another striker brought in to replace him as far as im concerned!

If Diaby is sold i dont think its half as important to replace him with a similar type player.

RVP stays put, bring in a DM & CB and if Ade is sold replace him with a striker and only a striker and im happy. Let Arsene figure out the rest!:)

The likes of Walcott can keep the width to the team on the opposite side of the field, i dont really buy into the idea that Walcott tends to dift in field alot.

When walcott gets the ball he either runs straight for the box or he runs to the touchline. If he gets to the touchline, he tends to cut inside to the edge of the box. As i said, this causes opposition defence to recede on themselves, and ultimately creates less space for the likes of Arshavin, Ade, Cesc, RVP in the box. He might take a wider route than Nasri or Rosicky, but it creates the same headaches, he holds onto the ball too long and allows the opposition to get organised in the box.

have a look at this vid supposedly of Walcott's best moments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUnQcObzcqg

how often does he play as an actual right winger there? most of those best moments are when he runs through the centre or comes from the counter. At no stage does he ever really cross or create space for the forwards, the best is a few low cutbacks. At no stage does he ever really pull defenders out of position, his tendency to just run at defenders even when in wide positions compacts the opposition defence further and generally makes life harder for the forwards. The opposition don't have to worry about him picking out a pass to find a bit of space, or getting a cross in when the CBs have their hands full with Ade and RVP.

When the ball is already high up the pitch and space is tight in and around the box, what does he offer? This is where Arsenal struggle most, and honestly i've never really seen Walcott make much of an impact in those kind of situations. He will run at the fullback, and maybe if he gets around him he'll put a low ball in across the goal. great. Unfortunately, by the time he gets that ball in, Ade and RVP are marked up, the GK is in position and it's really bloody hard for anyone to get a foot on that ball.

You actually see in the video, there are plenty of passes he doesn't see that would have put Ade in through on goal. It's great that what he chose to do worked out but he might actually have made life easier had he just offloaded it quicker, little ball over the top, a floating cross to latch onto, a through ball to run onto, he just doesn't offer anything like this consistently.

We need a right winger who can deliver a ball almost as soon as it reaches him, when the forwards still have some space ahead of them. Walcott can't do this for sh*t. he can't cross. never will.

I'm not saying he wont become a great little player, I love watching him, but as a manager your options are everything. Having a winger in a different style to Walcott could make a big difference over the course a season. Hell it might even improve Walcott's game, if there were someone in the squad who could deliver the early ball we might be able to capitalize on his pace up front a bit more.

Arsenal shareholders meeting on Arsenal TV now.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal shareholders meeting on Arsenal TV now.

has it finished yet? anything interesting said?

I don't think Veloso or Alonso are what we should be looking for, particularly if we switch to a system with Arshavin playing as a withdrawn striker. Nor do we really need a touchline-hugging winger. We don't really have the sort of players who'd take advantage of that kind of football enough to warrant it.

What I'd like to see us going with next season system wise, is something similar to what we had last year. Two strikers, one floating, with three central midfield playmaker types and an aggressive ball winner. The midfield four can freely interchange positions but remain a compact, hard working and discplined unit, keeping space to a minimum when the ball breaks. Alonso and Veloso aren't really destroyers and we definately need one with a midfield of creators. I don't mean a pure DM in the Makelele sense, but certainly someone with more of a sense for snuffing out danger outside the D.

Width once again comes from the full-backs. I feel Sagna's form in particular has suffered this season as he's spent most of it with Walcott or Eboue sitting on the touchline ahead of him playing pointless passes back to him with the sole purpose of retaining possession. Put someone with more guile like Hleb (I'm not saying him per se, but someone of that ilk) who can bring the ball forward, drag defenders towards him and release the ball to Bac at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

has it finished yet? anything interesting said?

Was only on for 45 minutes from what I understand and I may well be wrong we were supposed to see the whole event but the best bits were edited out, plenty has been written about these bits already. Some questions asked were our lack of leaders in the team and the fact that we have had so many captains this season for instance in the man utd match, nobody seemed to go up to Gibbs after the first goal and put their arm around him, Bob Wilson pointed out that RVP did, Arsenes response was that he believed the team took collective leadership and that we had many leaders on the pitch.

Another question was based on the defence and how they compared to the famous back four and that the present defence was a weak link. Arsene response was that the invincible team had none of the famous back four and that this defence had done quite well this season.

Another question was why the present Arsenal team seemed to start slowly in matches whereas a few years ago the team always tried to get an early goal and put teams under pressure early, Arsene pointed out that attacking wise we were quite good pointing out that man utd had scored 67 goals and we had scored 64 goals.

Regards money, yes we had money to spend but obviously he could not go into who he wanted or how much we had. Some shareholders felt that the team did not care too much and that the gap between fans and footballers had widened, Arsene denied this saying that indeed the team do care and when we get beaten it upsets him greatly to which a very well spoken gentlemen shouted from the floor that obviously Bendtner was not upset, going out and drinking £500 bottles of wine.

That was basically it to be honest the more heated moments appear to have been cut out or so people are saying, oh except the best line of the day from Arsene , I think it was in relation to the money question but might be wrong, anyway was referring to the fact that Liverpool have not won the league in 19 years.

The impression I got was that Arsene was slightly annoyed, remember lots had been edited out and he did point out that we may look back in years to come and reaise what a good season we had.

I don't think Veloso or Alonso are what we should be looking for, particularly if we switch to a system with Arshavin playing as a withdrawn striker.

aye you're right there. I'm hoping denilson will become that player in time, he seems to have the workrate but not the physique or intelligence. He'll need another few seasons under his belt. Hard to see the options out there though you could bring in for now, there's not many around who would be up to the standard needed.
    Nor do we really need a touchline-hugging winger. We don't really have the sort of players who'd take advantage of that kind of football enough to warrant it.

in fairness, Ade, Bendtner and Eduardo are all more than capable of getting on the end of something. RVP would be too if he didn't fall over so much. Walcott too if you play him higher up the pitch.

i'm just reminded by United's miss in the champions league final last year. Rooney with the long ball deep from the right, Park (i think) on the other wing to receive it... That's what i mean by what Arsenal lack. the ability to completely stretch the opposition in all areas of the pitch. Full backs can't offer that, they can't be in two places at once.

Playing nice and compact possession football is great, creates lots of chances, makes it difficult for the opposition to get anywhere... but that compactness can also work against you. There's no longer the space to run into, no longer the unpredictable side to your game, chances can become very laboured to create. You need the ability to mix it up, even if only occasionally. That's why i think an out an out more winger capable of more direct play would be a great addition to the squad.

He will run at the fullback, and maybe if he gets around him he'll put a low ball in across the goal. great. Unfortunately, by the time he gets that ball in, Ade and RVP are marked up, the GK is in position and it's really bloody hard for anyone to get a foot on that ball.

We need a right winger who can deliver a ball almost as soon as it reaches him, when the forwards still have some space ahead of them. Walcott can't do this for sh*t. he can't cross. never will.

I'm not saying he wont become a great little player, I love watching him, but as a manager your options are everything. Having a winger in a different style to Walcott could make a big difference over the course a season. Hell it might even improve Walcott's game, if there were someone in the squad who could deliver the early ball we might be able to capitalize on his pace up front a bit more.

Im all for plenty of different options in the team but im concentrating on this summers transfer window and i really cant see the needed cash being available for another 1/2 players to play in wide positions for us. It really just isnt what this current squad needs. Im of the same belief as Wenger that this Arsenal team really isnt that far away from winning things and imo just needs 2 additions if nobody leaves.

Wenger will want to shore up the defense and central part of the team. We just dont have the money to compete in the market for the type of player you are talking about when there is players that can do it already at the club.

You talk about crossing the ball into box quicker and more effectively and how much of threat this can be even without a player thats decent in the air! This is simply just not the Arsenal way and hasnt been for quite some years now. Taking this season and watching the games when that cross does come in and again id disagree with the point regards Walcott cant cross the ball, we just dont have the players that want to be on the end of that ball or even near it tbh.

Its very frustrating when a ball does come in and the likes of Ade has drifted out left, RVP is outside the box and most of time its one midfielder in the box marked closely by two defenders! Crossing in early balls id be surprised if that midfielder even makes it.

Buying a winger for this purpose to remain out wide and deliver the ball early into the box would add unpredicability alright but also a continuous loss of posession. Im not saying Walcotts final ball doesnt need to improve but his style of play on the wing is the type that are Arsenal need and are use to.

Walcott does play as a right winger, he attacks down the line, cuts in and attacks and overall he plays as a right winger. When we dont have the ball thats where he is, he doesnt drift inside without the ball and keeps a certain width to the team.

He has plenty to improve on and if he can start making the right decisions on a consistent basis, hes the player for the job imo.

I don't think Veloso or Alonso are what we should be looking for, particularly if we switch to a system with Arshavin playing as a withdrawn striker.

I like that idea of the three creative players in the middle and the one to do the dirty work also.
    and I'd agree that Veloso and Alonso wouldn;yt be very suited to that kind of system if they were to play DM in it, they'd both be better suited to 4-4-2 with a DM.
    However with Veloso and Alonso both would be more than capable at playing in that central three as both can create.
    Although bringing one of them in will push some of the younger players back further down the ladder.

I really fail to understand people's Hangeland love, he's had a single good season and I'd be amazed how many people knew him before last season. Let's see how he does next season first.

It's not that I think Hangeland is the worlds greatest defender all of a sudden but as I see it we need a big stopper who won't cost too much money and premiership experience would be a big bonus.

Obviously I'd prefer Nesta or Chivu but we have to be realistic.

Anyway, we've already been linked with him which means it's not going to happen but I can't think of a better candidate. Sure Arsne could find someone in Holland or France but I'd rather some direct competition for Gallas(if he stays) and Toure rather then another Djourou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Obviously I'd prefer Nesta or Chivu but we have to be realistic.

I take huge issues with that statement. Why shouldn't we poaching players from other large clubs. Why should we be forced to feed from the scraps from the tables of Man Utd and Chelsea, or forced to make our own players from fresh.

heh, i think i'll conceed defeat in trying to get anyone to agree with me on the winger.

I will say though that you're not entirely getting where i come from. Crossing into the box to find a head is only one facet of it. What i'm getting at is the speed at which the ball can move from channel to channel, e.g. how quickly can an attack down the right flank be turned into one from the left. It's something the current team aren't good enough imo, they are good at starting the quick counters, but frequently once they get near the opposition box things slow down, the attackers have to wait too long for someone to get near them to facilitate the compact passing game and the threat is lost. A more direct passer in a more advanced role like the RW might be more useful in these situations (and others), if they can spray the ball from side to side, hit good direct balls over the top to run onto, that kind of thing.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I take huge issues with that statement. Why shouldn't we poaching players from other large clubs. Why should we be forced to feed from the scraps from the tables of Man Utd and Chelsea, or forced to make our own players from fresh.

Take huge issue?

I'm not making a statement about Arsenal's position in football's hierarchy or about feeding from the scraps of other clubs. Nothing like that crossed my mind until you interpreted it that way.

We simply can't spend 20 million plus on a defender. The money ain't there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If anyone wants to read it, the complete transcript from the Q&A with shareholders. Interesting read.

Bob Wilson – Two Semi finals, and another qualifying, eleven years now I think it is qualifying again for the Champions League, what is your overall view of this season?

Arsene – We had in the Championship; I believe, that we had a difficult start because in the first fourteen games we lost five, and after that we stabilised the team very well, and went on a long unbeaten run for 21 games, the longest run in the league this year, but on Sunday unfortunately we lost to Chelsea, but for me that was a strange game because it was down to the disappointment of losing to Man Utd in the Champs League.

In the Champions League overall we had a good season, because we finished in the last 4 in Europe, though of course we are not happy and it was a massive frustration, because we felt that in the second game we had no change to play the game, but we have as well to take some distance, because overall, with the policy we’ve gone for with a young team, to finish in the position we finished is not a shame.

I know that at the moment the vibes around the team are very negative, but I feel the Arsenal supporters should take a distance a little bit of that, and not get too much manipulated, because for example in the Champions league there are only five teams who have played the last ten years, and they are Arsenal, Man Utd, Real Madrid, PSV, and Olympiakos. That means, if you take these five, there are a lot of clubs, and big clubs, who havn’t been there every year, so I think that in the Champions League we have fulfilled our expectations this year, even though we are frustrated because we wanted to win it.

In the FA Cup we lost against Chelsea, I believe it was much more even the game in the semi final than people say, and of course people will say that we finished the season without a trophy, and it’s true, because we are here to win trophies, but I believe as well that the overall performance of the team has been consistent, and the team has gone up, and considering the overall age of the team, and the attitude of the team, overall we have performed.

What people forget as well, and I speak tonight to shareholders, that Arsenal is also about values, and when I came here, this club, it struck me that this club is something special, with it’s attitude, fair play, generosity, and I’m very proud of the team we had this year on that front as well, because I believe that this team will give a lot in making Arsenal fans and supporters very proud.

I regret that overall from the first day of the season we had negative vibes and manipulation around the team, and when you have such a young team it’s very hard to keep the confidence very high, and it was maybe the most energy demanding season for all the staff this year because we had the feeling that we had to support the team against all the odds in England, and that was difficult, but I must say as well that the team was very strong.

BW – Injuries as always affected a little bit?

AW – We had Gallas out, we had Adebayor out, we had Fabregas out, we had Tomas Rosicky the whole season out, and after last season we lost flamini, we lost hleb, we never expected to be without Tomas Rosicky for the whole season not playing one game, because we suddenly found, hleb was an experienced player, flamini was starting to be experienced, rosicky is an experienced player, and we suddenly lost the whole midfield experience wise, and we had to rebuild completely our midfield.

I ask myself this question and I have done for years, it’s been touched upon, really to what extent do you consider trophies and medals to be the be all and end all, or do you feel that the football we’ve played over the years is almost more important. I know you want both, and it’s difficult with the media obsessed with trophies and winning championships, which are history as soon as you’ve got them, but the general nature of the play, I think it’s really important. The media often ask which team you’d pay to watch, and they always say Arsenal, and that’s not because of winning trophies, but is the pleasure, the playing of the game in the right way, or what extent do you consider you have to win always?

I believe personally I want to win trophies, but I believe as well that in a big club, you need a style of play as well. Normally both work together, not always, but I still think that you cannot survive a long time as a club, or have a world reputation without a style of play. Today, Arsenal is hugely respected, with a massive reputation all over the world, as a club. The smallest reputation and respect we have as a club is inside here in England.

It is true, and I’m very sad and very frustrated as well, (that we came 4th in the league and champs league), but in fairness you have to say that that we play in the most difficult league in the world, against opponents with top quality as well, and at the end of the day this year you will have again the top 4, in a different order, you have Utd who are at the moment perhaps the best in the world, Liverpool, who are a massive club, and they’ve not won the championship in 19 years. They’re not a small club, they’re a massive club, and people take for granted and say “Why have you not won the championship” but it is difficult, and the best way to reach that is to have a style of play, and a culture that goes through the ranks, from the small to the adults, and that’s what we try to create, but the purpose and the target is to win the trophies.

Blokey from the AST – We had a Q & A with Ivan Gazidis earlier in the week and were very impressed with him, and his vision for the club. I’d be interested in what your relationship with him, and what you’re looking for from him in terms of taking us forward next year, and how does his role interact with yours in the modern football world to take us forward??

AW – I see Ivan as someone who can help me achieve my targets, and share the vision of the club. As much as you can say “if we don’t win, I am responsible” I want to say “if we don’t win, he is responsible!”

BW – You’re putting him on the spot, he’s sitting on the front row.

AW – I believe that we have a shared vision as to how the club has to be run, and we spoke about that today with the board, if I say now “look today we go out today and buy a player who is worth 70 million pounds, then everyone is happy for two months, but after that if we do not win, people will ask, “why do we not win”, but for two months everyone will be very happy. For me football is more than that, it’s a style of play, and a shared vision of how you want to run the club, how do you think you can develop the team, and we are on the right track.

We are convinced, the board, the directors, that we are doing the right thing, because we want to run the club by respecting the financial balance, by developing the idea of the game played how we want it played, and by developing the players who we bought, who have been at the club for five years. If we do not get there next year, or the year after, then I will be responsible and stand up for it, don’t worry, but at the moment I just say one thing – what this team has done, with the average age it has now, no team has done that. Somewhere you have to realise that it’s the most important moment in the life of this club, is to be strong now and support this team, if they don’t deliver in one or two years, then you can say this is the right thing to do, but now what this team needs is the support of the people who are the fans of the club.

I will tell you something – we win at Chelsea after a disasterous game at Man City, I go to the loo after the game, and the guy says, well done Arsene, we won today, but we will not win the championship this year, and this was in November. I say sorry to me you are not an arsenal fan, he said of course I am an arsenal fan, I said we are just a team with the older player 21 in midfield, and we beat Chelsea, who is a mature team with a massive investment, and the only thing you can say after the game is we will not win the championship. You cannot say to me you’re a fan because you don’t even believe in your own players. That’s a responsibility as well, because people say I am a fan, but only if it all goes well, you win 38 games on the trot, and win all the trophies, then I am a fan, but I’m sorry, that is easy.

Shareholder – I wonder if you could identify the person who pulled Nicholas Bendtner’s trousers down last week because you seemed certain that it was sabotage in quotes last week.

AW – We didn’t identify the person, but we identified Bendtner, and that was enough.

Shareholder – It’s been a very interesting time in the boardroom this season with all the changes that have occurred, and we were wondering how that’s impacted your strategy on the pitch?

AW – Well I’m not involved at all in the shareholders and the ways the shares are bought by people but all I can say is that it didn’t change anything, and if we havn’t won a trophy this year that isn’t an excuse.

Shareholder – I think we’ve been spoilt over the years, which is why we’ve been a bit negative about everything, but for the future I’d like to ask you, is there money available, and if there is money available, I get the impression that the backbone of the team isn’t there. We used to have Bob Wilson, Adams all the way through to the centre forward. Is there money to buy anyone in the future?

AW – Yes we spoke about that today, and there is money available to buy. Where do I buy or who, it’s difficult to speak about that, because if you come out with that you pay double price, so we’re rich but not rich enough to do that. But we will buy.

Shareholder – When you joined the club 13 years ago you inherited possibly the best back 4 we’ve ever had. Technically they weren’t the best footballers, but they really knew how to defend, and now we have some great footballers in the defence, but they don’t seem as well drilled as they were under Keown and Adams, and it’s very disappointing when you play against Chelsea and hammer them for the first 20 minutes, then they have one free kick up the other end and score from a set piece. (wenger nodding in agreement) I was wondering if you would ever consider inviting Adams and Keown back to the club in a coaching roll, to drill the back four we have now?

AW – You know what people forget, is that defence was a great defence that I inherited, but the team that was invincible was a back four in which none of those four played. It was Lauren, Kolo, Campbell, and Ashley Cole, so that was the back four that was invincible and played 49 games unbeaten. It’s true that we didn’t perform defensively this year, but Gallas was out for a long long time, Kolo was injured, and defensively we hadn’t found a stability. If we had a weakness this year it was more as a unit, as a team defensively, because offensively we performed quite well.

BW – What you’re saying there is that you defend from the front, right the way through, not just the four guys there?

AW - Exactly, and also what people forget is that football in the last 12 years has changed massively in England, it has evolved a lot, and it’s much more difficult today. Today it’s the case that in every single club the forwards are internationals. When we played Wigan this year they had Heskey and Zaki on the bench. That was not the case 12 years ago. When you play against Newcastle who are playing not to go down they have Owen or Martins on the bench, and this was not the case 12 years ago. The level of this league has gone up, and for the defenders it’s much more difficult than 12 years ago, and people underestimate that highly, because in every single team in this premier league you’ve got international players, and many time on the bench as well.

Shareholder – When we played Utd in the first leg semi final, you saw the way we defended the corner, the whole back four all went to the far post leaving 3 players unmarked on the near post, whilst adebayor just kinda wandered about, I’ve got no idea what he was doing

AW – He’s a striker he was looking to get forward and score.

Shareholder – I understand that instinct, but is it the job of the coaching staff to make sure that whilst it’s his instinct to get forward, when we’re defending a forward, when a player especially the size of adebayor is on a post, defending, marking the forwards?

AW – Well do you really think that you work 25 years in football but you don’t tell these things to your players?

Shareholder – I’m sure you tell them, but some don’t seem to listen?

AW – The nature of the game is that you have to accept mistakes. Know how many mistakes statistically on every single goal? 5 mistakes, everytime that’s five mistakes every time you concede a goal, and also every time you score a goal, that’s also what people forget, you find always five mistakes. People say we scored four fantastic goals against Liverpool, but when you look at them again you can see the mistakes. We also conceded 4 goals with mistakes, but mistakes happen because of the speed and quality of the football. With this game, with the corner I agree with you, it was a problem of concentration, but when a player is offensive minded he can make this kind of mistake, because he thinks ok the ball is not coming to me to clear, so if I go forward if it’s won again I can attack, if it’s a defender he doesn’t react like that.

Shareholder – My question revolves around the captaincy of the club. I don’t believe we’ve got a player in the squad at the moment who’s capable of being captain of a great club like this. You look at the other top clubs, and they’ve got 3 or 4 players who you could say would be good captains, you look at them and say “he’s a captain, he’s a captain, he’s a captain”, they’re captains. This was clearly demonstrated when Kieran Gibbs had that awful slip the other night against Man U, who went around to put their arm around him and say it’s ok, take it easy, compose yourself, we’ve all been there. It goes back again to taking responsibility and I don’t believe we’ve got anyone in the squad who’s capable of being captain of the squad. I think that was clear when we played Portsmouth, and Arshavin was the 9th player to captain this great club in one season. It’s a poor reflection on the great guys who’s captained this club previously.

BW – VP went to Gibbs straight away so I would mention that.

AW – You can take that argument on both sides, maybe we have too many captains as we’ve had 9 this year. I believe in shared leadership in the team, and I believe that we have many captains in the team. There’s two things to be a captain, one is to project yourself in front of the camera, and to speak a lot, which people like, and the other way is to behave like a captain in the dressing room and on the pitch, and we have lots of players who stood up and take responsibility, and fabregas is a good captain for me.

BW – And not alone either?

AW – No not alone, Arshavin can be a captain, Van Persie can be a captain, Kolo too, they are captains.

BW – Almunia

AW – Yes Almunia, they are people who stand up and take responsibilities, and I don’t share that opinion at all.

Shareholder – When we were at highbury we attacked the opposition from the start, trying to get an early goal, and not let them settle, and be several goals up at half time. I’ve been doing my own statistics at the emirates recently, and find that we have more attacks in the second half than the first, is this part of your tactical plan?

AW – No. It’s part of the defensive play of the opponents, you need to be patient until you can find space. You know how many goals Man Utd scored this year after 36 games - 67, you know how many we scored – 64, there is no difference there. Going forward we’ve had a very good season, and we’ve scored as many as the best in the league. It is sometimes difficult, we had a difficult period where we couldn’t score at home, but all the big teams had times when they found that difficult, and most of the time we had to be patient because we played against teams with ten men in one half and it’s difficult.

Shareholder - I’ve been watching arsenal for a long time, since before Bob broke into the first team, so maybe I don’t see things as quite as disastrous as some do.

BW – Those days were pretty disasterous

AW – They were worse than that! But I think that the players should be proud of getting to two semi finals, though obviously disappointed with how we played once we’d got there, but that’s how things can work out. The young players have another seasons’ experience under their belt, and I hope to see some great stuff from them next season. But in hindsight this season, I make mistakes in my job, and do some good stuff. In your job this season, if you had to pick out a couple of things you did right, and a couple you did wrong, what would you pick out?

AW – That’s very difficult. I don’t see it like that, I just think there’s two different things at a football club, and some people don’t see that. For me, as you said, it’s a frustration not to win against Manchester Utd, but you can still make a distance with the overall performance of the season which has not been a disaster at all, because if you look back at the history, maybe in the future one day you will look back, maybe at this season, and think it was not as bad. I think personally, there are a lot of positives to take from this season. As for what kind of mistakes I’ve made this season, I’m not pretentious enough to think that I do not make mistakes, but you must give me one credit, I’m 26 years in this job, but 35 years working as a coach, and I work every day thinking what can I do better, and believe me before I go into games, I think about it day and night. This is a job, that noone can imagine how energy consuming it is, that you make a hundred decisions in a week, only a fool could say that he doesn’t make any mistakes over those hundred decisions, of course I make mistakes.

I believe the most important thing at the club, is that it’s in the right shape structure wise, with a fantastic training ground, and new stadium, and you look at all the other clubs with big new stadiums where they are, and they’re all down, but we have stayed at the top. We maintained this club, having built a massive new stadium, at the top level in Europe, and let me tell you something I’m very proud of that, because when we built a new stadium, I was thinking now, the difficulty starts. To maintain the team at the top level when you move stadiums, when you go into expense as we did, and what we managed to do for me is fantastic. That we have no trophies to present today, I’m very sorry, but I do not say I’ve made no mistakes, of course I made many mistakes, but I tried not to make mistakes. Overall for me, what’s very exciting is that this club is in a fantastic situation, and everybody is down, because every morning we get up, and take our breakfast, look at the papers, and nobody says you are great, so you think you are nobody. That’s it, it’s as simple as that, and I believe there are a lot of positive energies in this team, and there is a lot of positive, with me or without me that isn’t important, but the future of this club is great. What saddens me is the attitude of the players is great, and the quality of the players, but everyone believes the team is bad.

Shareholder – I’ve been following the club for 60 years, and the last 13 years have had the best football I’ve ever experienced, and although we’ve not won anything in 4 years, it’s disappointing but isn’t the be all and end all. However after getting to the semi final of the FA cup, I was wondering what the logic was in not picking Arshavin, who wasn’t eligible for the champs league, and the following Tuesday he scored 4 at Liverpool, so why didn’t he play at Wembley?

AW – For many reasons that it’s difficult to talk about the selection of the team. I knew for the team that that semi final was a very important step to go through in the champions league as well, and I knew that arshavin wasn’t available in the champions league. In my calculation, was to give the team the confidence to beat Chelsea, and bring arshavin on if needed, and that the team could then go on in the champions league and know that it could win big games. It didn’t work like that, but arshavin played, and that was the only reason, not that he wasn’t good enough.

Shareholder – I’ve been going to pretty much all the away games for the last 20 years, and I think it’s a really sad state of affairs that the gap between the fans and the players has widened, for a variety of reasons, but small things at the end of games, like acknowledging the fans, giving them a clap after games, because when we win they come over milking the applause, but when we lose you’re lucky to get one or two, especially in Europe, in places like Moscow or Kiev, and it’s disheartening when you see players who don’t seem to care, little things like that can make a big difference.

AW – I’m very sorry for that and you’re completely right, and I thought we do it. When the players do it after a win it’s because they’re happy, and if we don’t do it after a loss it’s because they are ashamed, but I can see that people could think it’s because they don’t care about you. I must say there is a massive difference between the away fans, who are absolutely fantastic, and have been fantastic all season, and the home fans, but I agree with you completely on that.

Shareholder - I’d like to reiterate what the previous person said about players acknowledging the fans, and I think other clubs players do it, and the fans would often like to actually give the players support, even if they havn’t achieved what we hoped of them. I’d also like to say that over the past four years we’ve stayed in the top four, and moved to a fantastic new stadium, and I personally think you’re a genius, and we’re jolly lucky to have you. There’s one other thing I’d like to say, our motto is victory through harmony, and I’m sure you’d agree that in addition to your values the arsenal motto should also be remembered, do you agree with that?

AW – Well I would like to answer first that I am very honoured that you rate what I do, but don’t worry I do not think at all that I’m a genius. I just think I try to do the best I can for this club and I’ve very proud of that, and I’m very sorry as well when we do not respond completely to the expectation levels, of people who love the club. Don’t worry I do not drive home when we lose a game whistling, I am very sad, but I know as well that I’m not the only one, that complete families are devastated, and that hurts even more.

Interrupting agitated red-faced Shareholder – Nicholas Bendtner went to a night club, whilst our fans were crying their eyes out he was drinking £500 bottles of champagne.

AW – But that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care, and we all care about the same club. It is a time when you have to think, and take a bit of distance, away from the immediate result. We live in a world today where it’s all about immediate and definite opinions, and immediately after a game people have an opinion saying “get him out”, or “kick him out.” I’m convinced that if the basic situation is there at the club, like we are now, and you think the basic are rights, then we should stand behind that, and lets try and correct what did not work this year, and come back next year and show that we are the right people thinking the right way, and doing the right things, but not always only be guided by that negative fear instilled in us by the media in a subtle way. What happens in the modern game is that everyone calls in after the game and has an opinion, and that opinion is right. People work everyday on the football pitch, and think day and night about what they do, and they are not all stupid, and they care about the club they care about the team, and they want to do well. I believe here at this club we are in a period where we need people to believe in what we do, but more than that, is people who believe in the players who go out there, because they are good, and if you don’t do that you will regret it one day.

Shareholder - If the board was to agree a new rights issue with a number of new shares to help specifically to provide funds for you to compete in the transfer market, something like a hundred million pounds could be raised this way, would you welcome it?

AW – First of all I cannot answer that question because I don’t know if it is legally possible or plausible, maybe the chairman could answer that but I couldn’t answer that.

Shareholder – If it was possible, just say that you could?

AW – I believe that my target is to use the money available in the best possible way, if it’s ten million it’s ten million, if it’s twenty million it’s twenty million, if it’s 100 million it’s 100 million. I’m always happy to work with the resources I have and to do the best that I can, but I also believe that when you sign for a club you cannot say suddenly there is not 100 million available, so sorry I cannot work, that isn’t responsible. When I sign somewhere I work and know when I come in that I do it in the resources available, and I do as well as I can.

Shareholder – I’d like to reiterate the other bloke in saying you’ve worked relative miracles over the last few years with the resources you’ve had compared to some other clubs, but we spoke about your belief in collective responsibility, which is fine when it’s going well, but with such a young side, the other night when they walked off at half time, you look around for leadership figures, like a Puyol or a Terry, and with such a young side do you not think it’s necessary to have someone who’s capable of rallying them on the pitch?

AW – Well I agree with you, as what team doesn’t need a leader of course, but I believe as well that experiences in your life you grow into responsibilities, and early someone says to you “you do that”, and you say “I don’t know if I can do that”, but Fabregas has learned his trade this year, and next season he will be a responsible captain from the start next year, and I’m confident that he has the qualities to do that. That’s what I believe as well. This team has been shocked against Man Utd as noone can imagine. There’s no worse feeling than coming out of a game, and feeling that we had not even arrived to play the game, and this is what the team experienced. They were up for it, I can tell you, and the fans were up for it, and after ten minutes it was game over, and even if you have a leader, to get over that is nearly impossible.

Shareholder – Arsene do you give less of a priority to physical stature down the spine of the side these days, because these days the spine looks far smaller than it used to. Going back to Vieira and Petit they were both man mountains, and both could play. This season most of the time the central midfield has been Fabregas and Denilson, both are fine players, Fabregas is a brilliant player, but they don’t have the physical stature, and when I see us play against physical sides like Chelsea, we seem to lose out through that.

AW – Of course, I believe that every single team in Europe against Chelsea has a physical inferiority, we saw that with Barcelona when they played against Chelsea, that Chelsea is above the average level physically impact wise. We tried a little bit as we are conscious of that, but in some games we needed muscle a bit more in the midfield which is why we added diaby in some games, or song, because there is more physical shape then to fight, one against one. Against Chelsea I thought we had quite a good game going forward, but we were punished at a time, and gave another goalscoring chance away and were 2-0 down. At Wembley I still think we had a little handicap because the pitch was not good at all, and that turned it into more of a physical battle, and on the front Chelsea are simply stronger, but they are stronger than everyone else in Europe on that front.

BW – Thank you very much for all your questions and coming along tonight. I’m sure you’ll all thank Arsene for answering your questions honestly. Arsene, your enthusiasm remains just as it was?

AW – Yes, because in our job you look to the next game, and just want to win it, you never look back, except to analyse, you look at the next game, and for us it’s Manchester Utd on Saturday, and next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Take huge issue?

I'm not making a statement about Arsenal's position in football's hierarchy or about feeding from the scraps of other clubs. Nothing like that crossed my mind until you interpreted it that way.

We simply can't spend 20 million plus on a defender. The money ain't there at the moment.
    Sorry if it seemed like an attack on you. I meant that what you said (or at least my interpretation of it) seems to be the general idea that people have of Arsenal.

It seems in general at the moment we are taking cast offs from other clubs, and we shouldn't have to. We should be able to compete with them. FFS we were linked with Boulahrouz at the weekend. While this might be only mere paper talk, the very fact that it was considered as fact is an insult to our club as a whole. We shouldn't have to take cast offs or failures from other clubs.

• Advertisement

Here's some great news. Looking forward to next season.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5337749,00.html
    Arsene Wenger has turned his back on the chance to coach Real Madrid and has pledged his future to Arsenal.
    The Frenchman emerged as Real presidential candidate Florentino Perez's top target to take charge at Santiago Bernabeu, should the former supremo of the Spanish club win the forthcoming elections.
    Speculation over Wenger's future then increased when he admitted that working under Perez would be 'an interesting project'.
    With the Gunners enduring a fourth successive season without silverware, some supporters had began to express concerns about the direction of the club.
    Wenger was clearly unhappy at the criticisms levelled at his door, but has now pledged to remain at Emirates Stadium until at least the end of his current contract in June 2011.

Staying

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis held talks with Wenger on Tuesday to discuss plans for the coming season and the former Monaco boss later confirmed his intention to remain in his current role.
    He told the Daily Mail: "There's nothing to worry about, it's not an issue for me.
    "I'm staying here.
    "If that changes I will let you know, but don't worry about that. It's not an issue."

well that's a bit of a relief.

I still think there's a good chance he'll be gone at the end of next season though. Domenech's still faltering, and i think at his age Wenger won't resist the opportunity to manage France if it comes along. Methinks whatever happens at the WC, Domenech's contract wont be renewed and they'll look to Wenger.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sorry if it seemed like an attack on you. I meant that what you said (or at least my interpretation of it) seems to be the general idea that people have of Arsenal.

It seems in general at the moment we are taking cast offs from other clubs, and we shouldn't have to. We should be able to compete with them. FFS we were linked with Boulahrouz at the weekend. While this might be only mere paper talk, the very fact that it was considered as fact is an insult to our club as a whole. We shouldn't have to take cast offs or failures from other clubs.

Basically the way I see it is we need a defender for right now. For me, that means buying from the premiership.

There's no way we could get one of Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool's first choice and I don't think that they have many other players that are up to it - bar perhaps Agger who I would still have doubts about.

So you've got to look at the best defenders beyond the big four which brings you to Everton, Fulham and Villa's squads.

Laursen's retired, Everton are going to keep their squad together but Fulham would probably sell.

Are there better defenders out there than Hangeland - undoubtedly.

Are there better defenders that we could get - undoubtedly, but I've no idea who they are. At this stage I'd rather take known player who we can feel good about starting the league with then try and find a Vidic who may or may not be our best defender in three years time.

As regards competing with the other big clubs, I think it's pretty annoying and more than a little ironic that Arsenal, who steered a steady course while other clubs were gambling with their futures are in financial trouble because of the Highbury apartments thing. We took one big risk which was applauded on all sides as sound economic thinking and now we've a 13 million transfer budget.

We're still fine as a club and when the dust all settles we will be able to blow almost any other clubs out of the water but I think everyone thought we'd be in better shape at the moment.

leninbenjamin: I think we want the same thing in how we want the side to be direct and effective on the counter, I just think we perceive the best way to implement it slightly differently.

For one, I think having Arshavin as a withdrawn striker would considerably improve our counter attacking potency. Nobody else in the team can carry the ball at pace and also distribute it like he can, and that is another reason why he should play centrally. As long as his replacement in midfield has the pace and desire to join the counter attacks, I don't think we'll be short on penetration.

Regarding the defender issue, I don't really care whether they have premiership experience or not, as long as they have enough ability. Sagna didn't have many problems adapting. We do need one though with Toure and Song going to the ACN in January. Gallas, Djourou, Silvestre, Senderos and Nordtveit are not exactly the most confidence inspiring options. Mind you if Gallas stays fit we'd probably get by OK. Nordtveit is looking class in Norway from what I've read (though his team are absolute cack).

Incidentally, the club have not signed Rui Fonte following the end of his two year loan, so he returns to Sporting.

We do need one though with Toure and Song going to the ACN in January.

Argh, forgot about that. Yet another reason to sell Ade.

As regards the defender. I'm not saying he has to have premiership experience but it reduces the unknowns a bit.

You have to admit, Sagna settling in so well was more the exception than the rule (which Hangeland himself was also I guess).

Nevertheless we simply won't get him. I just don't think he's a Wenger buy.

Nordtveit is looking class in Norway from what I've read (though his team are absolute cack).

Same, looking forward to seeing him get a proper role in the Carling Cup team next season.
    Incidentally, the club have not signed Rui Fonte following the end of his two year loan, so he returns to Sporting.

Was wondering what the story was with this. I know he never really set things on fire but he seemed decent enough

Aw.. Fonte was really good in FM07

Frisbee wrote: »
    Was wondering what the story was with this. I know he never really set things on fire but he seemed decent enough

he's still under contract with Sporting isn't he? i'd say it was just a case of him being overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Great :rolleyes:

Hopefully he'll be back soon and in time for pre season.

jasonorr wrote: »
    Great :rolleyes:

Hopefully he'll be back soon and in time for pre season.

Best get it sorted now. Bilic wanted him for Croatia. That's not going to happen now.

• Advertisement

Martin Samuel has a very good article in defense of Arsene in the Daily Mail (ugh). Makes a compelling argument. I've been doing a bit more reading on the state of Arsenal's finances and I'm softening my stance on him.

The papers are reporting that Wenger is only getting £13million to spend this summer. (plus whatever we get for Adebayor I'd imagine)
    Apparently we're also being linked with Zenit St. Petersburg stiker Pavel Pogrebnyak as a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

article-0-0506B079000005DC-84_468x606_popup.jpg

article-0-0506B1D6000005DC-827_468x799.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Martin Samuel has a very good article in defense of Arsene in the Daily Mail (ugh). Makes a compelling argument. I've been doing a bit more reading on the state of Arsenal's finances and I'm softening my stance on him.
    Great article alright. I never believed that Arsene really had all this cash to spend - but I'd never considered that the board's constant pronouncements of "Oh, there's cash there if he wants it" were being made against his will. Always assumed it was part of the overall agreement - "we don't expect you to win the league, but you can't expect us to put up loads of money every year, whatever we might tell the supporters to keep them happy(ish)".

Hmm...

On another note, away jersey's alright but a bit meh - even more glad I picked up this season's dirt cheap the other week now*.

* The Arnott's sale helped me learn that I fit into an XL boy's size! :D

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Great article alright. I never believed that Arsene really had all this cash to spend - but I'd never considered that the board's constant pronouncements of "Oh, there's cash there if he wants it" were being made against his will. Always assumed it was part of the overall agreement - "we don't expect you to win the league, but you can't expect us to put up loads of money every year, whatever we might tell the supporters to keep them happy(ish)".

We still don't know what the real situation is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We still don't know what the real situation is though.
    Absolutely, and I'm not saying I necessarily believe it.

But I've never been wholly convinced by the argument that there's been money there to spend (although I'm also not sure if Arsene has necessarily seen the right players there to sign). This just offered an extra element to that view, one that I'll be watching out for in future.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Absolutely, and I'm not saying I necessarily believe it.

But I've never been wholly convinced by the argument that there's been money there to spend (although I'm also not sure if Arsene has necessarily seen the right players there to sign). This just offered an extra element to that view, one that I'll be watching out for in future.

I know,the conflicting information is very frustrating, I think this summer will tell us though what the real situation is.

Have to say I really dislike our away kit this year.
    That fake green one doing the rounds looked so much better.
    Or even stick with this season's one, I really like it.

The 2009/2010 Goal Keepers jersey! To be launched with the away kit 25th June.

80517.jpg

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Have to say I really dislike our away kit this year.
    That fake green one doing the rounds looked so much better.
    Or even stick with this season's one, I really like it.

I think its nice enough jersey actual but would have much prefered to stick with this season's one aswell, one of my favourite Arsenal jerseys!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement