Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Has Gallas actually been linked with anyone? Ideally, I'd like us to keep both
    Gallas and Toure, and bring in preferably Hangeland.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed on Gallas, he's our best CB. Much better defensive instincts than Kolo. I want us to keep both, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I hear the asking price for Hangelaand is £13 million. Could be worth it. We need height in defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Galvasean wrote: »
    I hear the asking price for Hangelaand is £13 million. Could be worth it. We need height in defense.

Top quality defender, but £13m not a tad steep?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Top quality defender, but £13m not a tad steep?

That's a contradiction right there. There is a shortage of available quality centre backs in the game right now. If anything, that price is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

That's a contradiction right there. There is a shortage of available quality centre backs in the game right now. If anything, that price is pretty good.

He's good, but is he really £13m good???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You've got a point. Great defender, whom I'd love to see go on do greater things, but was taken aback by the £13m price tag when player like Vidic were what, £7m and Skrtel £8m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You've got a point. Great defender, whom I'd love to see go on do greater things, but was taken aback by the £13m price tag when player like Vidic were what, £7m and Skrtel £8m?

It's just because he's establshed in England already whereas Vidic and Skrtel weren't.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's just because he's establshed in England already whereas Vidic and Skrtel weren't.

That's not really how Arsene works though, I think if anything there might be more truth to this Bassong rumour than Hangeland. I don't really think we can afford to pay extra money for a player just because he's already played in the premiership, after all it will still take a certain amount of time to adapt to playing with a new team.

From Forbes it says:

United are worth £1273m and their debt is £687m
    Arsenal are worth £817m and their debt is £874m
    Liverpool are worth £687m and their debt is £406m
    Chelsea are worth £544 and their debt is £501m

I've converted all currencies from the XE on the date of that article. Do we really owe £874m? Could it be related to the Highbury Square development where we are selling 711 apartments starting from £250k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I know we have a 25 year loan taken out with the Emirates Stadium. Property in London, especially North London is through the roof.

Vidic was something of an unknown (to most punters anyhow) when United signed him. How much would he cost now? At least £25 million I'd say.

Nobody would bat an eyelid if anyone spent over 10million on a striker. Heck, mediocre strikers cost that much. Yet when people are looking to buy a top quality defender why should they expect them to come any much cheaper? Especially considering that there arent many world class CBs right now, whereas there are many world class strikers. If anything the world class CBs should cost more due to their comparative rarity. Its all supply and demand.

Rumour has it Barcelona are looking to buy Mascherano. If that is the case perhaps Yaya may be more open to a move away from Barce...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Cheers For That :) Gave Me A Good Laugh :pac:

Redzer7 wrote: »

Lemme guess, the 'next Bergkamp'?

Lemme guess, the 'next Bergkamp'?

Next Wiltord ;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Hopefully the last bit of transfer news we hear about Fab over the summer.
    Cesc Fabregas has attempted to quell speculation that he might return to Spain by pledging to stay at Arsenal.

The Gunners skipper has been linked with a move to former club Barcelona, where he was a youth team player.

But midfielder Fabregas, 22, said: "Of course I see my future at Arsenal. I have a long contract with the club.

"I would have never signed that if I did not think I was capable of making it [to the end of the deal]. The boss knows that I really want to stay here."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger made Fabregas his team captain last November after William Gallas was stripped of the role.

His current deal runs until 2014, but Fabregas told Arsenal TV: "What you cannot stop is what people say about you. The press can write or say whatever they want.

"Since I was 18, they have been saying [he is seeking a transfer], but I am still here.

"I hope I can be at Arsenal for many years and lift trophies like the Champions League, the Premier League, FA Cups.

"I am really looking forward to it because I am sure the future is bright here."

Fabregas spent the best part of four months on the sidelines in the middle of last season following a knee problem.

He also became embroiled in a row with members of Hull's coaching staff who alleged he spat at them following an FA Cup tie in March.

From BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Fabianski aint going anywhere, signs new long-term contract.

He has alot to learn but i think (i hope) he will develop into a quality goalkeeper that we can have confidence in when called upon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Fabianski aint going anywhere, signs new long-term contract.

He has alot to learn but i think (i hope) he will develop into a quality goalkeeper that we can have confidence in when called upon!

I'm confident with a bit more experience he'll end up at the very least a good number 2. his shot stopping is there, it's just a case of his decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I'm confident with a bit more experience he'll end up at the very least a good number 2. his shot stopping is there, it's just a case of his decision making.

Yeah its true when it comes to shot stopping he looks good, its just the indecision of to run out or not that seems to be his major problem.

But +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

just wondering if the gooners are all excited about the visit of the mighty glasgow rangers to their house, they are the worlds most successful club byraway
    What have we done to Arsenal?this is a good read... http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/?p=639

Ethel Cardew
    May 3rd, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Rangers supporters are vile sectarian thugs intent on causing mayhem wherever they go. Fined twice by UEFA for sectarian singing, they are now on their last warning with UEFA, and will probably soon be banned from European competition due to the seriously far right wing extremism of their support.

See these for further details:

http://i40.tinypic.com/x393t2.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/30w5jdz.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2i6mil4.jpg

These are just a few of the hate filled bigots who regularly sing songs about their hatred of minority groups.

#1 Report Post
    Old Yesterday, 12:55
    SAS 3-0 IRA

Default What have we done to Arsenal?
    I've been having a look around some Arsenal forums and Websites to guage the reaction to our involvement in this year's Emirates cup, and to say I'm disgusted is a massive understatement.

Many have us down as mindless hooligans, many say we are incapable of behaving in a manner suited the the "friendly" nature of the weekend and unbelievably, some clown even proclaimed that Celtic would have added more prestige to the Tournament.

May I just remind any Arsenal fans looking in, we are the world's most successful club, with a fan base which is has no paralell anywhere in world football.

And on the matter of rather having the Scum at their wee tourny, I can remind you of Celtic's anti-English/British ethics and I'm sure you'll encounter them in their numbers the week before we visit.

So before you turn your nose up at the Rangers, compare the clubs, we are the benchmark for football clubs to aspire to, we would never accept being 2nd in our league, let alone the 4th place which you have made your own in England.

So whilst I'm not bothered about your respect, Our club demands it.

#24 Report Post
    Old Yesterday, 13:11
    We Welcome The Chase

Default Re: What have we done to Arsenal?
    Couldn't care what Arsenal think of us.
    We are a much bigger club than them anyway.

#34 Report Post
    Old Yesterday, 13:17
    Will your Anchor hold?

Take a walk around the Emirates on any match day and have a look at the merchandise on sale.

There is a plethora of tim merchandise on sale. There is not one others club stuff available.

Don't expect any warm welcome when you get there. Their fans are pathetic as well. just get the tunes sung loud and proud and everyone who goes there will be astonished at how poor their so called fans are.

#87 Report Post
    Old Yesterday, 14:33
    Chosen, not manufactured!

Part, if not most, of the blame for our reputation has to go to OUR club I'm afraid. Had the powers that be at our club came out fighting (pardon the pun) post Villirreal, Ossasuna, Manchester etc then we wouldn't be seen as the easy target we have become.

Like some I have a few reservations about us going to London because, put simply, the enormity of our club attracts hangers on with no genuine care for us but that want to say they were part of the world's most successful club for a day/weekend etc.

We will return from the Emirates with our reputation enhanced and quite possibly with another trophy to put in the cabinet.

#119 Report Post
    Old Yesterday, 20:22
    Trialist

The problem that we have as supporters of The Rangers is that we have witnessed Sunderland,slashings Newcastle stabbings and slashings,Tottenham riots etc etc our history goes before us. Manchester is a different kettle of fish but try and sell that to the english football supporters. You cannot hide the truth and the truth is that people who claim to be our supporters have shamed us on previous occasions. That is fact. Never mind sniffing. I have supported the club for 50yrs. Anytime I have been at Arsenal matches I have witnessed thousands of them wearing green and grey hoops. That is a fact.
    this is a good read... http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/?p=639

Ethel Cardew
    May 3rd, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Rangers supporters are vile sectarian thugs intent on causing mayhem wherever they go. Fined twice by UEFA for sectarian singing, they are now on their last warning with UEFA, and will probably soon be banned from European competition due to the seriously far right wing extremism of their support.

See these for further details:

http://i40.tinypic.com/x393t2.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/30w5jdz.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2i6mil4.jpg

These are just a few of the hate filled bigots who regularly sing songs about their hatred of minority groups.

yes i might just be a typical celtic fan who has no time for them, thing is i do, some of them are actually no too bad, like the guys who come into the celtic forum on here. yes every support has it's bad apples, just hope the reputation their fans speak of on other ventures down south doesn't follow them this time.

Mighty indeed. :(

Looks like we are in talks with Sakho. Anybody know much about him? He's wearing Fly Emirates. That's a good start. ;) Looks like a big stong defensive player. Oh yeah.....exactly the type we need.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_5376616,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

hopefully he wont be the next Djourou!! Havent seen him play so i've no idea what he is like but he seems to be in the good books of a few well versed freinds of mine.

Next Wiltord ;):pac:

If he scores a goal that wins us the league in Old Trafford I don't mind.

Sakho can join Bayern or Arsenal... He's only 19 though.. Enough with the youth element already.

Good news from Fabregas:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8096320.stm

DenMan wrote: »
    Looks like we are in talks with Sakho. Anybody know much about him? He's wearing Fly Emirates. That's a good start. ;) Looks like a big stong defensive player. Oh yeah.....exactly the type we need.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_5376616,00.html

his agent called the club cheap! :mad:

I know Sakho from FM :D. He's a good young French defender who's highly rated by some in France. Pretty versatile too, can play as a left full for a CB. Don't know anything about his style of play though.

I see on wikipedia that he's the youngest ever player to captain a side in Ligue1, that's just the type of player we need.

still, no Zapata. :(

Sakho, FM hero.

Rosicky has been talking about his fitness... says he's been fit since the last two weeks of the season but Wenger didn't want to risk him in games that didn't mean anything. He's not taking any summer holidays because he wants to maintain his fitness. Hope it works out for him, having him available next season would be a big boost.

Rosicky has become something of a forgotten man. I was just thinking about him yesterday. He was pretty good when he was fit. Having him back and a fully fit Arshavin will leave our attacking midfield options looking well. Rosicky has one thing which most of our squad lacks:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Ah, Arshavin can hit those too. Just ask liverpool fans :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

anyone think there is anything to Cescs comments today?

What Has Cesc Said?

What Has Cesc Said?
    Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has hinted he would be open to an offer from Barcelona.

"It's very obvious that it (an offer from Barca) would be special but I am also clear about the fact that Arsenal made me captain in the middle of last season," Fabregas said in an interview published in Spain's Sport newspaper.

"That gives me extra responsibility and ties me closer to the club and I would be excited to win a trophy as captain of the Gunners," he said, but added that if Guardiola called him "it would be different."

meh... I reckon he'll stay a few more years, then probably replace Xavi when they discard him.

Sorry Just Seen The Sky Sports News Website There, I Think He'll Stay At Least Another 3
    Years Then If We Haven't Won A Trophy By Then He Will Be Barcelona Bound. But If We Are To Sell Him We Better Get A Lot Of Money.

Yawn...

• Advertisement

i understand you're frustration pepe but why is he sayin stuff like that?

Stuff like what? All I see is him talking respectfully about Barca and some journalists getting creative with headlines & translation.

He's stated explicitly that he isn't leaving Arsenal many, many times.

adding that if guardiola were to call him it would be different?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

only the "it would be different" part is a quote, he doesent mention Pep the journo makes that suggestion

He probably said something like:

if Barca actually made an offer and Arsenal accepted it "it would be different" but as is, its just media speculation and as far as im concerned ill be playing for Arsenal next season.

It wouldn't be like talking to a telemarketer I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

meh... I reckon he'll stay a few more years, then probably replace Xavi when they discard him.

Exactly Cesc will be playing his football for Arsenal next season end of.........

Why would he go to barca with Xavi still there, i dont think he would want the move to sit on the bench for most of the season!:rolleyes:

Anyway back to the players that will be coming in! Also with the central defenders that we are linked with i dont see the need in saying if they can also play at left full, i think we're pretty much covered in that department!

EDIT: speaking of Cesc nice to see him getting a goal for Spain, jesus theyre playing some lovely football allbeit against NZ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

as far as im concerned ill be playing for Arsenal next season.
    We better get cracking on a Bounty Hunter song so... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Sorry Just Seen The Sky Sports News Website There, I Think He'll Stay At Least Another 3
    Years Then If We Haven't Won A Trophy By Then He Will Be Barcelona Bound. But If We Are To Sell Him We Better Get A Lot Of Money.

If Fabregas doesn't win anything in the next 3 seasons he can fcuk off for nothing. Howja like them apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If Fabregas doesn't win anything in the next 3 seasons he can fcuk off for nothing. Howja like them apples.

Why exactly are you posting here? Seriously, what's your aim? Do answer, please.

Regardless contract is till 2014 so he couldn't leave for nothing in three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The reason and aim for posting here is to highlight that if the player wins nothing with our team over the next 3 years his value as a part of our team and as a commodity will decrease.

Also, as you pointed out, he could go for free anyway.

I hope that puts clarity on my previous comment and that you won't feel the need for the condescending tone in future.

Saw the first half of the Spain match. Cesc played very well. Then again, it's easy to play well against New Zealand.

That's what we want to hear. Hope he has a great season to come. Wasn't the best by his own standards last season compared to the season before.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_5381973,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2009/06/15/1325276/goalcom-summer-shopping-who-should-arsenal-buy Interesting food for thought, would be the kind of left field unorthodox signings wenger would make, although and maybe im being too optimistic but would like if our sights were set higher than Upson..

I would welcome the return of Matthew Upson, should Arsenal sign him. It would be great for both the club and England. Him playing at the highest level could make him a regular starter for his national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2009/06/15/1325276/goalcom-summer-shopping-who-should-arsenal-buy Interesting food for thought, would be the kind of left field unorthodox signings wenger would make, although and maybe im being too optimistic but would like if our sights were set higher than Upson..

I don't agree with the comments on Carlos Vela....for a player to be signed a few years ago and have to be loaned to get the EU passport to be let go after one season. I expect the season ahead to be much more fruitful for him.

I do think Upson would be a good signing, but don't think Wenger will go for it. I do expect any signings to come totally out of the blue, like the Eduardo deal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement