Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

keano_afc wrote: »
    No Cesc or Toure tonight, could be a tricky one.
    No Fabregas for the opening couple of games of the Premiership too, huge blow for Arsenal and my fantasy football team! :pac:

Wenger really needs to pull a midfielder out of somewhere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hopefully the can get that Ghanaian player, Anthony Annan, I believe that will be a terrific signing. African strength in the middle of the park. Wenger has a great way of unearthing unknowns and turning them into gems. African players do fantastically well when they come into the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DenMan wrote: »
    Hopefully the can get that Ghanaian player, Anthony Annan, I believe that will be a terrific signing. African strength in the middle of the park. Wenger has a great way of unearthing unknowns and turning them into gems. African players do fantastically well when they come into the premier league.

Bad news :)
    http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/08/13/Prem-Annan-on-future/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ramsey supported United as a boy too!

From what I've heard Annan isn't all that anyway. I'd like someone a bit more established and experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'd like someone a bit more established and experienced.
    From Wenger's quotes, so does he...

Very young squad (especially in midfield) tonight, be interesting to see how they cope...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Providing Djourou could provide a stable partnership for Gallas at CB I wouldn't be opposed to giving Toure a shot at defensive midfield with Cesc.

He's bursting with passion, his workrate is tremendous and if I'm not mistaken he's played upfront before he came to Arsenal?

Or maybe I'm just being a bit crazy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He's bursting with passion, his workrate is tremendous and if I'm not mistaken he's played upfront before he came to Arsenal?

He might be able to fill that gap for a while till we get another CM.
    Yeah he used to Play Left Mid before he came to Arsenal..

Providing Djourou could provide a stable partnership for Gallas at CB I wouldn't be opposed to giving Toure a shot at defensive midfield with Cesc.

Or maybe I'm just being a bit crazy...
    Personally I don't think Toure has the positional sense to play in the middle of the park. He's too much of a headless chicken and doesn't seem to have that natural 'map' of the pitch in his head that you need. Even at CB, he makes positional lapses that he uses his athleticism to cover for. So I definitely wouldn't want him in a less anchored position like centre mid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Personally I don't think Toure has the positional sense to play in the middle of the park. He's too much of a headless chicken and doesn't seem to have that natural 'map' of the pitch in his head that you need. Even at CB, he makes positional lapses that he uses his athleticism to cover for. So I definitely wouldn't want him in a less anchored position like centre mid...

That's a fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Seriusly looking at it now what a total and utter idiot Diarra is.

Toure tried 1 or 2 games in central midfield last year and was none too impressive. Totally agree with Yahoo, toure is 110% commitment, all heart, very little tactical awareness.

This quote from the Sky Sports Score Centre does not fill me with enormous confidence for the season ahead. I hope we are not in the middle of a downward spiral.

"Ramsey and Denilson are really struggling in midfield at the moment. Neither has had much possession and, dare I say it, they look a little lightweight"

Still 0-0 at the moment.

William Gallas. FC Twente 0 Arsenal 1. Away goal. Happy days indeed. In off his knees. Well they all count.

Update. FC Twente 0 Arsenal 2. Adebayor has put us 2 up. This really is a great result in what was always going to be a very difficult game. Well done guys, a very professional job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I thought it was an awful display. One of the worst I have seen in a long time. 2 away goals is good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I thought it was an awful display. One of the worst I have seen in a long time. 2 away goals is good though.

Indeed. It's obvious the squad is too thin. Although I'd trust Wenger to make the right decisions for the club. If he doesn't sign anybody it's probably because finances are tight, not because he's too arrogant and cocky in his youth policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

a lot of these comments seem like a blatant violation of the first rule in the charter

BACK SEAT MODDING The mods of the forum are listed, no other user (bar SMODS and ADMINS) has moderation rights in the forum. As such we view interference in moderation as a breach of rules. If you have an issue with a post in this forum, the correct procedure is to use the report post function on the left of the post. If you post in thread, you will be viewed to be back-seat modding and may be cautioned. Calling users a troll is viewed as back-seat modding, that is for the soccer mods to decide. Abuse of the Report Abuse function, to insult users or continue debate will result in a ban.

That bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That bit?

I think he might mean discussing the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ok,I'm not an Arsenal fan,but I enjoy watching the team play football as it should be played and I admire what Wenger has done and the way in which he brings through youngsters.But on tonights display,I fear for ye this season.Ramsey was terrible.He couldnt pass the ball properly and has no strength at all.The whole of the midfield was a right off tbh.Eboue,Denilson,Ramsey and Walcott(who I rate highly but tonight wasnt too good).I know that ye have injuries to Fabregas and Rosicky and Nasri wasnt playing,but ye need a few players in midfield that can win the ball and allow Cesc to pass the ball about.

I hope that Wenger brings someone in before the transfer window shuts or else ye'll probably finish outside the top 4.The only thing that makes it easier is that Liverpool had a shocker aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

By that logic, Liverpool were bad too and will slip out. Arsenal still managed two goals in a poor performance (their first compettitive game of the season, understrength and rusty) away from home.

I think that it is rather foolish to:
    A) Judge Arsenal's season on this performance given the reasons above

B) Think that Wenger is stupid enough not to know the strengths of his own team.

All that said, the sentiment of Arsenal needing more players rings true. They seem cursed in terms of their injury problems for some time now, but all the more reason to strengthen.

Wenger has money, Arsenal need cover. It isn't very hard to work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

GuanYin wrote: »
    By that logic, Liverpool were bad too and will slip out. Arsenal still managed two goals in a poor performance (their first compettitive game of the season, understrength and rusty) away from home.

I think that it is rather foolish to:
    A) Judge Arsenal's season on this performance given the reasons above

B) Think that Wenger is stupid enough not to know the strengths of his own team.

All that said, the sentiment of Arsenal needing more players rings true. They seem cursed in terms of their injury problems for some time now, but all the more reason to strengthen.

Wenger has money, Arsenal need cover. It isn't very hard to work out.

To add to that, Arsenal would be the only British club making earnings and i think its time they invested more money in their players. Surely they can afford it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

they played sh*t against weaker opposition and still won the match. if they did that last season we'd be happy out. i actually find it encouraging in a perverse way.

I think we are one quality experienced holding centre midfield player away from being genuine contenders this year.
    Some people say we played poorly today. I say a two nil away win while missing a few key players and never leaving first gear is quite positive. Arsenal had a look about them that if they needed to up the tempo and play better today they would have. FC twente didn't.
    It was a controlled performance. Just what we needed to get the season started.
    Next 4 games are WBA (H), Fulham (A), FC Twente (H) and Newcastle (H).
    That should ease us into the season quite nicely.

Slowness in the transfer market may also be because the team weren't guaranteed a spot in the Champions League. Now they are (95%) we might see some movement.

Also, now Wenger may have more time to negotiate transfer deals now that the Twente game is out of the way.

Some fairly excessive comments here relating to last night’s game. There have been many performances poorer than that in recent times. 4-0 against United, 5-1 against Spurs, 2-1 against Boro, 1-0 against Sheffield United – nothing like as bad. Away in Europe, first game of the season and with lots of players out. Not that bad. Look at Liverpool’s performance – they were even worse.

Defensively, we were quite good last night, and restricted Twente to quite few opportunities. Djourou had another encouraging performance and hopefully he can get back to being rated as highly as he was 18-24 months ago. We need him to because Gallas isn’t getting any younger and Touré looks f**ked physically.

I don’t think central midfield was the main issue last night although we do need another player there (we will get one before the window closes too, in my opinion). Denilson, particularly in the second half, had quite a decent game, and Ramsey was OK. The big problem was what was going on around them – Eboue, Walcott, Adebayor and to a lesser extent van Persie couldn’t pass water. They couldn’t hold up the ball or pass, and their movement was terrible. Eboue and Walcott in particular played far too wide and Ramsey and Denilson never had anyone to pass to. Nasri is apparently going to be back for West Brom and combined with the big Emirates pitch that will make a difference, because he will improve our passing game considerably. We can usually get away with having one of Walcott or Eboue in midfield, but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Galvasean wrote: »
    Also, now Wenger may have more time to negotiate transfer deals now that the Twente game is out of the way.

Arsene has a habit of leaving his summer transfer dealings to the last minute
    So we may have to wait another week for activity, I think he likes to scare us fans :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Hoyte bid accepted apparently, and Wenger says he'll buy a player.

Good news all-round.

• Advertisement

Evil_Clown wrote: »

And to think, we werent going to give him a pay rise... :o

For anybody who missed the goals from last night's game. Bad performances in games last season saw us drop valuable points and exit big competitions near the end of the season. Joe Cole is right, we need to have bad performances but still put the goals away when needed, and that was achieved last night.

Wenger expects a new signing before the 2nd leg.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/new-signing-expected-before-twente-return-leg
    As per usual he wasn't naming names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

roll on tomorrow, sky sports back again and hopefully a great season for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Match posts moved to match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone have a stream that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

16 year old Conor Henderson called up to the Ireland U19s. Anyone know much about him?

http://youngguns.wordpress.com/Conor-Henderson/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I know the Daily Mirror is ****e but i just saw this

Arsenal have opened talks with Liverpool on taking Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso to the Emirates. (Daily Mirror)

As far as i know the top four cant buy players from each other????

• Advertisement

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I know the Daily Mirror is ****e but i just saw this

Arsenal have opened talks with Liverpool on taking Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso to the Emirates. (Daily Mirror)

As far as i know the top four cant buy players from each other????

first off it's old news, as Benitez practically confirmed a few days ago their had been discussions with an old slip of the tongue. secondly, anything is game if the price is right.

Wenger pretty much shot down the xabi and barry transfers because they're cup tied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Tim Cahill would be a great signing for Arsenal.I wonder if Downing or O'Neil would be a target, Hoyte's transfer came with a comment from Boro about the great relationship between Boro and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

GuanYin wrote: »
    Tim Cahill would be a great signing for Arsenal.I wonder if Downing or O'Neil would be a target,

Cahill isnt the right kind of player we're looking for really, too much like the midfielders we already have. And I doubt O'Neil would be good enough for Arsenal.

If Wenger wants to get a good slolid traditional CM in the Vieira, Petit, Gilberto mould he's going to have to look out side the Premiership...

eirebhoy wrote: »
    16 year old Conor Henderson called up to the Ireland U19s. Anyone know much about him?

http://youngguns.wordpress.com/Conor-Henderson/

I know he looks about 5 years old.

Wasn't too impressed with yesterday's performance overall. Would have preferred a more comfortable win.
    Good to see Nasri off the mark so soon. It was a very well worked song.

Cahill is the last kind of player we need. Really dissapointed about Xabi. Diarra from Real would be nice.

• Advertisement

Really dissapointed about Xabi.

i'm not. i don't think he's suited to the system, he's not dynamic enough imo and i think it's been shown time and time again how easy it can be to nullify his presence. secondly another playmaker is not what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Frisbee wrote: »
    And I doubt O'Neil would be good enough for Arsenal.

Wouldn't be good enough even for our Ladies team

Cahill is the last kind of player we need. Really dissapointed about Xabi. Diarra from Real would be nice.
    No, Gary O'Neil is the last kind of player we need :D

Never been sure about Diarra myself - I never saw him much with Lyon when there was so much hype about him but he hasn't impressed me too much when I've seen him with Real... his distribution seems particularly poor

So much for our Nordtveit predictions - he's off to Salamanca for the season:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/defender-joins-spanish-club-on-seasons-loan

Kieron Gibbs is also gone to Reading.

Adebayor signs new long term deal. Haven't heard what he's being paid yet. It had better not be a stupid amount. He hasn't earned it, and he doesn't deserve it. A bad season now and he'll be worth under £10m earning big money.

That said, the booing needs to stop. I'm sure he's got the message now. The team needs him playing at his best and the fans have to realise that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement