Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in relation to the Cesc stuff...

what always makes me laugh in these circumstances is that even if Cesc talked about his admiration for Pep, and that it would be an honour to play for Barcelona, what exactly is the problem? really?

he's a Catalunya. he loves Barca. he always has, and i'm sure he probably always will.

but he has always stated his love and admiration for Arsenal and for Arsene Wenger, and the honour he feels to be captain of the club.

he's happy. if barca have a bid accepted he'd have a think about it. of course he would. it's the club he loves.

it doesn't mean his dedication to Arsenal is any less.

barca won't be bidding anytime soon anyway. they're one of the very few clubs in the world that i could honestly say don't really need him right now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The reason and aim for posting here is to highlight that if the player wins nothing with our team over the next 3 years his value as a part of our team and as a commodity will decrease.

Also, as you pointed out, he could go for free anyway.
    eh? Cesc is contracted for another 5 years... which is what he said.

Our first six league games of next season, according to goonertalk:

West Ham United v Arsenal – Aug 15th
    Arsenal v Burnley – Aug 22nd
    Arsenal v Chelsea – Aug 29th
    Bolton Wanderers v Arsenal – Sept 12th
    Liverpool v Arsenal – Sept 19th
    Arsenal v Manchester City – Sept 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

The reason and aim for posting here is to highlight that if the player wins nothing with our team over the next 3 years his value as a part of our team and as a commodity will decrease.

Also, as you pointed out, he could go for free anyway.

I hope that puts clarity on my previous comment and that you won't feel the need for the condescending tone in future.

LOL calm down man in fairness all he was doing was simply pointing out how ridiculous your post was regards Cesc and tbh i was going to ask the same question as to why you post here. From what ive seen the majority of your posts seem to be poor attempts at trying to be funny or just in general quite strange. Just find them odd from a so called Arsenal supporter.

Anyway Walcott was hauled off at half time for the U21's, i missed the first half but according to Smith in the commentary he was very ineffective and his confidence will again have suffered a blow.

As Wenger has already expressed a few weeks back hes not one bit happy with Walcott playing for both teams and im sure he most be worried about the effect these poor performances will have on him.

On a more positive note from watching the second half Gibbs seems to be having a fairly solid performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I always assumed Fabregas would play 3 years on his contract, then with two years left, leave to Barca to replace Xavi for a massive massive fee. Xavi will be 32 by then, Fabregas will have given a good chunk of his career to Arsenal, by which time Wenger may also be gone, and everyone will leave happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

PHB wrote: »
    I always assumed Fabregas would play 3 years on his contract, then with two years left, leave to Barca to replace Xavi for a massive massive fee. Xavi will be 32 by then, Fabregas will have given a good chunk of his career to Arsenal, by which time Wenger may also be gone, and everyone will leave happy.

This is the most likely scenario imo, but I certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

Never fear, by that stage the trio of Nasri-Ramsey-Wilshere will be an immense creative influence that softens the blow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

In three years time the top 6 or so in the Premier League will be playing in the European Super League, Arsenal would have been bought out by either Kroenke or Ushmanov, will be raking in a lots of money, attracting the best names from around the world and Fabs will still be Captain. Happy Days for us Gunners. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

turns out that Cesc quote from a few days ago was, surprise, surprise, a pile of makeyuppy sh*te.
    Setanta wrote:
    Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has firmly denied that a personal phone call from Josep Guardiola could convince him to join Barcelona this summer.

The 22-year-old is linked with a return to Spain following the opening of every transfer window but suggestions that a move to Catalunya could be on the horizon were seemingly given extra credence over the weekend.

While stating in an interview with Barcelona-based daily Sport that he was happy at Arsenal, Fabregas appeared to intriguingly hint that if he was to be contacted by his hero Guardiola then ‘It would be different’.

But with his commitment to Arsenal called into question, Fabregas has sought to clarify the comments that he made regarding a return to Camp Nou, where he begun his footballing education before moving to North London at the age of 16.

"I never said it,” Fabregas told Marca.

“It would mean a tremendous amount to me because Guardiola has been my idol forever. To whom wouldn't it be a dream? Him calling me would mean a lot.

"Right now my future is in the same situation. Arsenal have already said that I am not transferable, which fills me with pride.

"If some day I left Arsenal, I wouldn't stay in England. As a Spaniard, everyone knows that I would like to play in the Spanish league. In England there are four teams who are superior to the rest and in Spain it is more equal."

Regarding his brush with the Spanish media that made headlines in England, Fabregas added: "You have to be careful not to fall into this kind of trap."

fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

turns out that Cesc quote from a few days ago was, surprise, surprise, a pile of makeyuppy sh*te.

fair play to him.

It's a f**kin ridiculous situation though when he has to come out twice in a short space of time to deny random attempts at sensationalist journalism.
    And I bet this won't be the last time this summer Cesc will find the need to re-affirm his loyalty to the club because some sh!tty newspaper report has all us Arsenal fans worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The Sun wrote:
    Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna says he would be open to a move to Real Madrid with the Spanish side weighing up a £20m bid for the Gunners star.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Arsenal left-back Gael Clichy has ruled out a move away from the Emirates Stadium this summer, despite reported interest from Real Madrid.

At least we'll keep one of our full backs. :pac:
    In my opinion after Cesc and Arshavin, our most important players.

jasonorr wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I wouldn't read too much into that report. Knowing the media two or three completely different questions have been remixed and added to make it look like he wants to move away. This is the tabloids most important time of the year for sales (long summer build up before the start of a new season and everybody in competition with each other)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Tabloids: "Fabregas is leaving Arsenal!"
    Fabregas: "No i'm not"
    Tabloids: "Clichy is leaving Arsenal!"
    Clichy: "No i'm not"
    Tabloids: "Sagna is leaving Arsenal!"

Wonder how many players they'll have to go through before Real Madrid line up a shock move for James Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Sagna is a fantastic player IMO, be a shame to see him move. Wouldn't him go to Barca though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    some sh!tty newspaper report has all us Arsenal fans worried.
    Just ignore it - it's really not that hard. I'm 98% that Cesc will be at the club next season so I don't care what El Mondo Deportivo (the Barca-linked newspaper that reported this last week) says. Equally, I don't care much about the retalitory report from Marca (a Real-linked paper) quoted above. If Marca link Madrid to an Arsenal player, that would just as quickly be dismissed as crap.

I care about the fact that Barcelona don't need him and that he wouldn't move there to sit on the bench when he's already doing that at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I do think Cesc will leave in the future but it'll be a long way down the line. Unlike Cesc, Ronaldo seemed to just be waiting around to leave whereas Cesc seems willing to stay and see how the crop of Arsenal youngsters progress.

Maybe 5-6 years down the line he'll head back to Barca, perhaps if Guardiola is still there.

To be honest, any players linked with Madrid these days are to be taken as lazy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

keano_afc wrote: »

I'd rather hold on to him. He's great cover for the RB spot.
    However if he wants first team football then fair enough if he leaves.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too sure - this BBC article didn't mention anything about showing the fixtures to television stations beforehand, especially not at a 'guy who does the on-screen graphics' level.

But we'll see. And sure we get to discuss them all on Wednesday anyway, whatever they are...

Frisbee wrote: »
    *Echo* :pac:

Sagna has come out and said that his 'comments' about a move to Madrid were BS. What a surprise!

The Sun has us linked to a move for Thomas Hitzlsperger, who only has 1 year left on his contract at Stuttgart. He sounds like a great signing.

*Echo* :pac:

Sagna has come out and said that his 'comments' about a move to Madrid were BS. What a surprise!

The Sun has us linked to a move for Thomas Hitzlsperger, who only has 1 year left on his contract at Stuttgart. He sounds like a great signing.

That the same Hitzlsperger that was at Villa? Think so. Be a great signing for us alright.

Yup. He's 27 now and captain of Stuttgart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I really dislike International football :mad: It doesn't appear serious, well lets hope so.

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/06/16/Confed-Cup-Alonso-injures-Fabregas/gnid-57238/

Fcuk sake. That's the second time now. :(

By all accounts it doesn't seem as bad as we feared. Out for Wed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DenMan wrote: »
    Fcuk sake. That's the second time now. :(

By all accounts it doesn't seem as bad as we feared. Out for Wed though.

I hope it is not, we could really do with him being fit for the start of pre season.

Can't believe less than a month to the Barnet match.

Hitzlsperger could well be a very good signing alright for us and im liking the £5 million price tag the tabloids are sticking on him!

Regards Cesc you really have to wonder what the fcuk Alonso was at catching him on the knee in fairness. As was said hopefully its not too bad and that it wont be an issue for the Arsenal medical team.

Was actually laughing at this the other day, good ole Freddie!!!:)
    Fabregas might have to do something similar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DenMan wrote: »
    Fcuk sake. That's the second time now.

must be something between the two. maybe Alonso feels the younger Cesc is undeserving of the more prominent role in the team? fool me once and all that...

itsjaybud wrote: »

Lol I've never seen that before, it's hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Daily Mail linking us with a move for Fiorentina's hard man midfielder Felipe Melo.

With his record with the cards, he does remind me of Vieira. Would be a good signing, but if the purse strings aren't opened enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Glad they split it up. I doubt Freddie would have stood much of a chance.

Our fixtures from skysports.com, we kick off our campaign away to Everton!

we seem to have a nice run in at the end of the season. Dare I say from March onwards!!!

Fixtures 2009-2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I like that the trip to Old Trafford is at the start of the season.

Our fixtures from skysports.com, we kick off our campaign away to Everton!

we seem to have a nice run in at the end of the season. Dare I say from March onwards!!!

Fixtures 2009-2010

That is a great run-in, if we're still in the race at the start of March you'd have to fancy our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I take nothing for granted with this team though. We had a very nice start to last season and managed to lose to Fulham, Hull and Stoke before Christmas. We shouldnt see any run of fixtures as easy.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I take nothing for granted with this team though. We had a very nice start to last season and managed to lose to Fulham, Hull and Stoke before Christmas. We shouldnt see any run of fixtures as easy.

I know i know but with the hope that we will have a fully fit squad with a couple of established names added and are on form that run in is very decent imo. im trying to keep things on a positive note before any football is kicked!

Last season is over so lets move on from those negative defeats!

The end of January and early February stands out as a pretty tough part to our season. Utd @ home, Chelsea away and Liverpool @ home. 3 massive weekends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does anybody know when the Champions League qualifiers will be announced?

Was about to book my €2 return flights to see the Bolton game on August 18th until I realised it was off, because of the Champions League qualifiers. I figure I'll just go see the qualifier, but the home leg currently could be on the 18th, 19th, 25th, or 26th.

Actually eventually I found it... on Wikipedia. Draw isn't made until August 7th. Not good.

^^^ Bolton!:eek:

would prefer to see us play against any of the 3 promoted teams than the wanderers!!!

Flights determine alot though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha yeah, I sat through the god awful 0-0 draw against Sunderland last season too.

Bolton would probably be last on my list of desired fixtures to go to, but I'll need to get to a game early on in the season or else I probably won't get to one at all this year. Plus as it's on a Tuesday night flights are dirt cheap, and I won't be working so it's not a problem for me.

I'm actually going to be in London the weekend of the 24th for the NFL so might try get to West Ham away.

And there's a good chance I'll be in London again either the weekend of the 16th or 30th for the EHL so might try get to West Ham(A) or Spuds (H).

Ya i know what you mean im just jealous I probably wont make it to any game!

I wouldnt be to hung up on the oppisition if i got cheap flights aswell, theres always the chance at home of a goalfest against weaker teams on a good day!

From what ive been listening to theyre saying we have the most difficult start (first 6 games) to the season out of the "TOP 4".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What's all this crap about United taking an interest in van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What's all this crap about United taking an interest in van Persie.

I think that would be a big mistake, he really stepped up this year and carried the team over a period. I think if we are going to sell a striker, it should be only Ade, losing both of them would leave us with very light up front.

Personally I would prefer (if he has to be sold) him to head to Inter (or so the other rumours go) than United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads, that van Perise rumour was in the Sun. Tabloid bullsh1t tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

To be honest,I would be shocked if United weren't taking an interest in him. He is a fantastic player when fit, fan-freaking-tastic. Any club would love to have him in their squad. If he became available either this summer or next (on a free) there isn't a club in the wold that wouldn't look into the situation.

However, as much as I would like to see it, I can't see United signing RVP this summer. Even if Arsenal decided to sell, it wouldn't be to another English side - the damage it would do to the squad moral and arsenal reputation would be massive imo, too big for any deal to be viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wenger has said before he'd have no issue selling to another English club. Wenger and Fergie have an ok relationship, as evidenced by Silvestre.

both skysports & setanta are going with;
    Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen has claimed he will undergo a medical at Arsenal on Friday.

PHB wrote: »
    Wenger has said before he'd have no issue selling to another English club. Wenger and Fergie have an ok relationship, as evidenced by Silvestre.
    I'm sure logically he'd say that if he figures someone isn't useful to Arsenal anymore, he doesn't mind where they go...

BUT

he tends to only really sell young players who haven't fully developed yet to other English clubs (Stokes, Bentley, etc.). This is partly because Henry, Hleb, Vieira, Petit, Overmars, etc. all wanted to go to Barcelona abroad, but in Sol Campbell's case, Wenger didn't want to sell him, knew he still had something to offer and only let him go on the understanding that he wouldn't be staying in England. I'd imagine the cases of Hleb and Flamini, at least, were similar - I doubt they'd have been sold to Chelsea or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Vermaelen deal seems to be on for tomorrow - reported that he's at the Emirates for a medical

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement